NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Darquesyde']Guess I'll too be participating in the Sony System Crash on Nov 1st.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause: A whole bunch of us will...

[quote name='PublikDefender']lol they made the announcement on a site for cam whores? did anyone ask kaz hirai to put shoe on head?[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='FerDK']With the Ps3 disc there is an installation of aprox 11 GB and it took me 40 minutes.

Then you have to download the rest (8 GB aprox with patches and everything) and with my [/QUOTE]
And I'm done... No way I'm using that much HD space on my PS3. (I don't even have that much free.)

[quote name='ijustw1n']Seems like itd be smart to let folks pre-load before the 1st and then start that day.[/QUOTE]
I actually think its smart that they don't let you preload the game. It let's them manage the amount of people logging in. Of course it's only smart in a PR sense. That being said there's apparently a way to preload the game now. Someone posted this on there facebook.

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/buddykey/

Whether this works or not or if it's even safe I can't assure you of. It looks legit but this link came from a guy with poor english and who seemed pretty shady. I didn't try it because I'm not that gung ho to play this day1 and also because I want to use the subway promotion codes that may be invalidated if you preoload the game.

[quote name='Adamu Kuezada']I actually think its smart that they don't let you preload the game. It let's them manage the amount of people logging in. [/QUOTE]

Yeah but their servers are going to be down when we all try to download at the same time. At this point I don't think there is anything they can do to prevent something from going wrong, those servers are going down!

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']And I'm done... No way I'm using that much HD space on my PS3. (I don't even have that much free.)[/QUOTE]

So, pick yourself up a new 500+ gb hdd for like $40-$50, problem solved.

[quote name='robbyH']The PS Store has removed all DCU online content. Guess it's to prep for the F2P.[/QUOTE]

why would they do that?

the ps store dc content with the exception of a wall paper or 2 has actually been removed since before this post was created it has been gone for months

i tried looking for it back in early september and nothing could be found except some dev, videos and 2 wallpapers

about 2 weeks ago they added some subscription plans on there with the highlight being 3 months premiere for 29.99 but in the details it said expires nov 1.

So any idea on what time tomorrow the game may be ready? We talking like 3AM or sometime during the evening?

[quote name='Calinks']So any idea on what time tomorrow the game may be ready? We talking like 3AM or sometime during the evening?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing DCU's download installer will be available whenever the store updates tomorrow.

Anyone know if free/premium players will have waiting queues like the beta did?

[quote name='robbyH']The PS Store has removed all DCU online content. Guess it's to prep for the F2P.[/QUOTE]

I still see it all there, the 1, 3,6,12 months passes

[quote name='tightclaws']Ok so when are we gonna see it?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it will be updated when the store gets it's regular weekly update.

[quote name='tightclaws']Ok so when are we gonna see it?[/QUOTE]
Like said previously, likely when the Store updates, usually around 4:00 PST.

[quote name='dallow']PC and PS3 aren't transferable are they?
Like I can't play the same character on both, or can I?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly no.
They are both run on seperate servers to insure continuity and data/connection integrity.

DL'ing now thanks to that link. Will give the game a try, and will probably spend 5$ to "upgrade" my account for a few more features. I figure that five will give me more entertainment than a single overpriced coffee.

I had to make a new account to get the downloader to work, unfortunately. Here's hoping I can log in to my old one once it finishes installing.

Do we need to DL the full client or is it like WOW where you download only whats needed at first and stream the rest in the background as you play?

My DL is done but it looks like the free accounts aren't working yet. I can start the game but it says I don't have a valid subscription.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Is it really 19 gb?

I might give it a spin and let my auto updated d/l tonight[/QUOTE]

The PC version says it's 14.1 GB.

[quote name='mikespit1']Do we need to DL the full client or is it like WOW where you download only whats needed at first and stream the rest in the background as you play?[/QUOTE]
It looks like it downloads the whole thing upfront.

they didn't update the psn store yet, but if you search "dc" you will find the free full game (128 megs). I do believe it is the installer. Then it will then take a zillion years to download the full game.

[quote name='AukeySeven']they didn't update the psn store yet, but if you search "dc" you will find the free full game (128 megs). I do believe it is the installer. Then it will then take a zillion years to download the full game.[/QUOTE]

good look on this, just started my download

Just started on mine as well. I need to study, so not to bummed about the fact that this will take forever Maybe I can play late tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone know of an easy way to check your harddrive space?

:::Edit:::

Looks to be about a 14.4 gig download on the ps3. Moving decently at the moment. May be downloaded with time to play tonight.

Lol
My local target had the ps3 version on clearance for $42.

The funny part was there was a soccer mom there that had a bunch of skylanders stuff and a couple games looking at it.

She looked at me as if I was stupid when I said it was a free download. Hey I tried.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Why does the DL come up at 200 some mbs?[/QUOTE]
You download the installer, after you download and instal that you start it up, and it downloads the rest to your ps3.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Sucks that I actually purchased this game back in January...[/QUOTE]
That was almost a year ago. If it was September, I think people would feel bad for you, but January is plenty of time for you to have enjoyed it.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']PSN Store description says you need at least 18gb free hard drive space.[/QUOTE]

According to the game itself, it needs about 21GB. (I have 16 GB free and its telling me to free up 5 more)

[quote name='ITDEFX']i kinda want to wait til target clearance them out....I'm not gonna download 20gb of data![/QUOTE]

Supposedly the discs are worthless now that it is F2P. I read that all users need to d/l to play now. Based on the install size, I don't think the disc was really used for anything before anyway.

Come back soon to check out our new look and find out what it feels like to fly, speed and fight for free in the DC Universe Online!

DC Universe™ Online
Free-To-Play. Your Way.™

eh..
i dont want the ps3 version either

bread's done
Back