NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Havok83']Can someone confirm if you can stop the download and come back to it later or will it restart from the beginning if you do that?[/QUOTE]

I started and stopped last night so i can do it overnight. It started from the point i left off.

Perfect timing! I literally just fixed my PS3's YLOD; what better way to make use of its functionality than to let it sit on for over 12 hours downloading this game!! /sarcasm

Thank god I bought the retail CE for $30....oh wait, that's a huge install aswell!!

Saw this and thought "Wow, didn't think it would go F2P so soon. I'll check this out."

Then I saw this page. Yeah, no. Charging you money to have more CHATTING OPTIONS? In an ONLINE MULTIPLAYER game? That is possibly one of the most retarded concepts I've heard. Really not a fan of these games that throw around the term "FREE TO PLAY!" in big bold letters, when in reality, you're only getting a small portion of the game to play for free and with extreme limitations.

[quote name='Tsukento']Saw this and thought "Wow, didn't think it would go F2P so soon. I'll check this out."

Then I saw this page. Yeah, no. Charging you money to have more CHATTING OPTIONS? In an ONLINE MULTIPLAYER game? That is possibly one of the most retarded concepts I've heard. Really not a fan of these games that throw around the term "FREE TO PLAY!" in big bold letters, when in reality, you're only getting a small portion of the game to play for free and with extreme limitations.[/QUOTE]

This is one of several limitations placed on free accounts in pretty much any MMO on the market today to prevent a massive influx of gold spammers. (Others include mailing restrictions and in-game currency caps.) It is not at all unusual and certainly not restricted to DCUO. If you're really interested in the game, don't let that stop you from trying it. If you want to remove (or dramatically reduce) those restrictions, spend a few bucks to upgrade to premium. The only thing I'm really curious about is how the currency cap works in DCUO; even the premium cap appears to be rather low, but I don't know much about the DCUO economy, so I could be wrong.

I don't know about how the currency cap works. I'm a premium player and I have wayyy above the currency cap (because as warreni said, it's quite low) from where I played the game a few months ago, but so far my money hasn't disappeared or anything and I am earning more money.

No voice chat? Hmph... was looking to try this out with a friend of mine. left my PS3 on for the past 12 hours and I'm at 80% I'll give it a shot regardless but there's no way I see myself paying for this on a monthly basis. I've drained time on MMO's in the past years and with the size of my backlog these days, I definitely can't afford to do it again.

yea i made sure to leave my ps3 on last nite. got up this morning and it's ready to go, just wish i was home to try it out! can't wait!!! yay!

[quote name='Saix_XIII']So do we know about trophies yet officially? I know before this was officially out there was conflicting information.[/QUOTE]

Yes Im curious to know if Premium players get trophies.

Finally! Of course "F2P in October" meant Oct. 31st.

I'll probably spend 5 bucks to get Premium status, but I'm not crazy about MMOs, I'll likely just play this casually. Still I'm hoping it's good. Thanks OP!

Sucks the fact that people like myself who purchased the actual game disc, only gets upgraded to "Premium" status (yup, the $5 worth account) rather than given the "Legendary" account at least ($15).

Comic book games are my kryptonite.

Dammit, should've held off buying this game for $39 earlier this year.

After 12 hours of downloading, I have now played the game. And it is awesome. The character creation is just so great. I'm probably going to spend that $5 minimum to boost my account to Premium, so I can get more character slots and voice chat. After playing it, it's definitely worth that meager $5 for such a fun game. I'm excited.

P.S. I really don't understand why they're still charging $15 a month for Legendary status... that's just so much money! Maybe if it was $5, people might bite, but dang, $15?!

Can I buy the Green Lantern DLC and use it on the same account on PC/PS3? I know the servers are separate but can I jsut pay the once for GL?

I have a 60 GB HD with 12 GB free. It gives me an error message that I need 10 more GB free to download the game!

Is this correct?

If yes, it doesn't look like I will be playing this game as I don't want to delete anything.

[quote name='ferris182']I have a 60 GB HD with 12 GB free. It gives me an error message that I need 10 more GB free to download the game!

Is this correct?

If yes, it doesn't look like I will be playing this game as I don't want to delete anything.[/QUOTE]

You need at least 20gb.

It's shocking how fast that 60gb runs out, isn't it? I've had to upgrade the storage on both my 360 (20gb->120gb->250gb) and PS3 (60gb->160gb).

Still, it's encouraging to see F2P MMOs making the jump to consoles, and I'm game to give this one a try...

Do you need a really beefy PC to run this smoothly? I'm wondering if it's worth trying on my laptop or if I should just go straight to PS3. Also I'm assuming the PS3 version lets you use a keyboard?

For some reason my account (which I guess I made a 'station' account forever ago) already has 500 station cash, but my account status for this game is still listed as Free. Do I need to actually SPEND the 500 points to upgrade it, or add 500 more to reach premium?

[quote name='bigpimpin24']No voice chat? Hmph... was looking to try this out with a friend of mine. left my PS3 on for the past 12 hours and I'm at 80% I'll give it a shot regardless but there's no way I see myself paying for this on a monthly basis. I've drained time on MMO's in the past years and with the size of my backlog these days, I definitely can't afford to do it again.[/QUOTE]

No voice chat for the free version. You gotta upgrade to premium or legendary.

Saw in the Subway UC3 thread that you can get free Legendary access for 30 days with a Subway cup code. Cab anyone confirm this?

Downloading now.
Remaining Download: 14,080 MB (2%) @ 2MB/s

This is gonna take awhile.

UPDATE: now at 9,584 MB (34%) and it's going slow as fuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='callmewoof']For some reason my account (which I guess I made a 'station' account forever ago) already has 500 station cash, but my account status for this game is still listed as Free. Do I need to actually SPEND the 500 points to upgrade it, or add 500 more to reach premium?[/QUOTE]

I believe you have to spend it on something for the game. I am thinking I will pick up fight for the light expansion to get premium since the lantern type stuff has always been my favorite.

[quote name='Shimrra']Can I download this at work then install it when I get home?[/QUOTE]

Don't think so. The initial download is about 150 MB, then you install, get an update which is also about 150 MB, then you start the game and the 14+ GB download starts.

Awesome, I got bumped up to premium level and all i did was play the demo ages ago. At least my characters didn't get deleted.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Saw in the Subway UC3 thread that you can get free Legendary access for 30 days with a Subway cup code. Cab anyone confirm this?[/QUOTE]

It's PC only :cry:

[quote name='WV Matsui']Saw in the Subway UC3 thread that you can get free Legendary access for 30 days with a Subway cup code. Cab anyone confirm this?[/QUOTE]

I'm one of the ones that mentioned it in the Subway thread, but yes it is true. The cups still have the Uncharted graphics, but since it was already released the code now unlocks 30 days of legendary level access (PC new accounts only). Here's the exact text from the email they sent (minus the code):

YOU HAVE CHOSEN A VOUCHER CODE FOR 30-DAY LEGENDARY LEVEL GAME ACCESS FOR DC UNIVERSE™ ONLINE AS YOUR REWARD

This reward may be redeemed via your PlayStation®3 system or online.
*Subject to verification

REDEMPTION CODE:
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Despite what the email says it's only for the PC Version and must be a new account :( From the fine print at
http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/subway/:

Offer excludes PlayStation®3 accounts and Station Accounts that have previously activated the DC Universe� Online game. You will need to redeem your code on this page, log in to a new or existing Station Account, and download and activate the DCUO game software for the first time on that account. You will then receive a game pass good for thirty (30) days of DCUO game play at the Legendary Access level on that account (PC only). Code must be redeemed by December 31, 2011. The thirty (30) day period begins when the key is entered. At the end of the thirty (30) day period the account will convert to the Premium Access level unless you purchase a DCUO Legendary Access or Station All Access game pass for Legendary Access to the game, which will require the payment of recurring subscription fees.

[quote name='redfusion']6 hours later it finally downloads. This opening cinematic is pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Same as the Beta cinematic i would assume?
The Beta cinematic was something

Has anyone been able to get in a game yet? I just got the pretty Wonder Woman load screen for over half an hour then gave up and shut it down.

[quote name='WonkyToad']Has anyone been able to get in a game yet? I just got the pretty Wonder Woman load screen for over half an hour then gave up and shut it down.[/QUOTE]

Yup, Played it yesterday and today without issue.

[quote name='cRodz']Same as the Beta cinematic i would assume?
The Beta cinematic was something[/QUOTE]

Didn't play the beta, so I don't know.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']For those with free / premium access; are there waiting queues to log your character in (like with the beta) on PS3?[/QUOTE]

Just jumped right in, no waiting.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Help!

New to this genre

PvP or PvE????[/QUOTE]

You can switch if you don't like one. But if you don't mind fighting player controlled heroes if you're a villain (or vice versa) then go with PVP. PVE doesn't allow them to attack you and you can't attack them.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']For those with free / premium access; are there waiting queues to log your character in (like with the beta) on PS3?[/QUOTE]

I am using it free, and I had a load time early this morning, which is odd, I seriously wouldn't have expected a wait time at 9 AM pst. Yet not during prime time. Who knows. It only took 3 minutes to get in from 450 in que.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Help!

New to this genre

PvP or PvE????[/QUOTE]

Player vs Environment (PvE) - Similar to playing a single player game, you will have human players in there that you can co-op missions with and chat with etc, but the majority of play is against the AI.

Player vs Player (PvP) - You will still have to fight the AI, but you also have to worry about other players attacking you as well.

Since your new to the genre you should probably start pve as it is easier and will allow you to get the hang of an mmo with out getting player killed. (PK'd) Yes there are people who dedicate their mmo time to hunting and killing newbs and easy targets.

[quote name='RiPPn']Player vs Environment (PvE) - Similar to playing a single player game, you will have human players in there that you can co-op missions with and chat with etc, but the majority of play is against the AI.

Player vs Player (PvP) - You will still have to fight the AI, but you also have to worry about other players attacking you as well.

Since your new to the genre you should probably start pve as it is easier and will allow you to get the hang of an mmo with out getting player killed. (PK'd) Yes there are people who dedicate their mmo time to hunting and killing newbs and easy targets.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rippin

I played through the opening last night and stopped right when I got in the lobby with all of the other players. I will give it another shot tonight. Figure I have to give it the old college try to see if I enjoy it!

bread's done
Back