NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a big download - for those that are wondering (like I was yesterday), you can quit to the SMB and shut off your PS3 and the next time you restart it it will resume downloading from where you stopped.

I don't like leaving it on all day so I stopped it yesterday morning as I left but it had only downloaded 5% at the time and I didn't know if I would have to restart the whole thing.

Played during prime time last night and got right in no que. Having a pretty good time with this. I don't know if I will ever sub, because I doubt I will ever play enough to warrant it, but at the moment it is a nice unwind game after a long day of studying for exams.

19 hours in, I'm about 51% done downloading. I'm now taking bets for when the PS3 will set fire, my money is on the 35th hour. :p

Anyone else getting errors with logging in? Getting Invalid subcription after the launcher window and fullscreen title screen.

Thanks for the info about needing at least 20gb to dl and play this thing. I have like 18gb left out of my 80 gb. I might end up finally getting a slim on black Friday. On the meantime I'm going to delete stuff, I already deleted all my demos.

I have a couple questions, first do I need to delete me previous install before DLing the new one? Second, do I need to leave my ps3 on for the full install? Or can I turn it off midway then pick it back up where I left off?

[quote name='Brother Daz']I have a couple questions, first do I need to delete me previous install before DLing the new one? Second, do I need to leave my ps3 on for the full install? Or can I turn it off midway then pick it back up where I left off?[/QUOTE]
No, you do not need to delete your previous install and you can turn it off as you need to and it will pick back up where you left off.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']No, you do not need to delete your previous install and you can turn it off as you need to and it will pick back up where you left off.[/QUOTE]

right on thanks

[quote name='BustaUppa']The PS3 guide on the official site keeps referring to the mouse buttons. Is that a mistake or can you really just plug a USB mouse into the PS3 and use it??[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you can use a mouse and keyboard for the PS3 version.

I have a mouse, but lack a USB keyboard... I guess it's time to splice more wires together.

If someone doesn't want their hard copy anymore I would love to get one just to put on the shelf. I know gamestop pennied out the collector's edition but was unable to get one (PS3)

Server disconnected right when i was about to enter the city for the first time, argh!

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. If you own a decent PC & a PS3 you should DL it on the PC. With the PC you can use Vent to communicate so the lack of voice chat for free players is moot, If you own a Xbox360 controller (I use an extra wired) plug it in & it works beautifully, you don't even have to mess with any type of button mapping. My vid card died so I have to use the onboard vid & the game still looks great. I hope they can fix the server problems cause this game deserves better. The only negative thing I noticed was the create character screen wasn't nearly as deep as Champions Online but other than that the game was fun & played great.

[quote name='the8055']can I cancel my current download and come back to it later or will it have to start all over?[/QUOTE]

You can come back to it and it will pick up where it left off

[quote name='WV Matsui']Is this shit still down? I just keep sitting at lla loading screen with different characters...[/QUOTE]

No kidding, spending 5 minutes on loading screens only to get knocked off due to maintenance or server errors is getting annoying. I was able to play for about 10 minutes at least.

You get what you pay for.

[quote name='philippnguyen']All this maintenance is really ruining my free dcuo experience lol[/QUOTE]

Although I'm bummed about it being down, the hour or so of gameplay the other day was thoroughly enjoyable...to my surprise.

My wife liked it so much she had me get her some content to get that next tier so she could play around with more character slots. I got the green lantern content, seemed like a decent deal if you had to buy at least $5 worth of stuff.

She is playing it on the PS3 and using a bluetooth keyboard for the typing and such. I think maybe I'll try it on the PC using a 360 controller.

[quote name='Vanillanowah']Hey, does anyone know if Premium players get trophy access?[/QUOTE]
Multiple forums searched and i still haven't found confirmation of this

I got kicked off like 40 minutes after I was able to log in earlier. Their Facebook page says they took the servers down again. No ETA when they'll be back up.

As folks have seen we have had some major issues today keeping our US Servers up and running. We are working very hard to correct the problem and we will be keeping the servers down until we can deploy new software to help us fix the issues. The response to our new Free to Play model has been overwhelming (literally) and we are very excited about all the new players in the game. We are working hard to make sure DC Universe Online is the best experience possible.

I will continue to post to the Annoucements forums with updates. Thank you for you patience.

Lorin Jameson
'DeadMeat'

Executive Producer, DC Universe Online.

Try downloading at night on a mid week night. I started downloading at 12:15 AM EST last eve and when I checked it at 7:45AM it was done and waiting for me to choose PvP or PvE

[quote name='jsgebo']Try downloading at night on a mid week night. I started downloading at 12:15 AM EST last eve and when I checked it at 7:45AM it was done and waiting for me to choose PvP or PvE[/QUOTE]

That's strange. I downloaded it the first night it was available as F2P and it only took about 4 hours. I was surprised because usually I get really slow download speeds on the PS3.

I ended up buying the GL pack to get that premium status. I tried making a Red Lantern but couldn't get his effects to glow Red. Bummer they don't let you pick particle effect colors.

[quote name='shadowkast']Multiple forums searched and i still haven't found confirmation of this[/QUOTE]

In regards to trophies for premium level:

I made a speedster and after you do the intro and get out of the bar area ( for evil at least) there is a race that is very easy and it takes no time at all to do (less than a minute). There is a trophy for beating a race with a platinum rating I think it is called. Well, beating that race didn't unlock a trophy with premium level. I don't know if that race isn't suppose to count since it is so easy, but my wife or I haven't unlocked any other trophies as of yet on premium level.

[quote name='Lord Chabelo']The PS3Trophies.com and PS3Trophies.org sites have confirmed you need legendary status to unlock trophies.[/QUOTE]

In that case I think I will stick with the PC version. Thanks for the heads up.

Dumb question from someone who's never played an MMO before: what do I do when I want to stop playing? Do I have to go to a certain place? I'm assuming I don't need to "save" in the traditional sense.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Dumb question from someone who's never played an MMO before: what do I do when I want to stop playing? Do I have to go to a certain place? I'm assuming I don't need to "save" in the traditional sense.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to just quit the game. Your character is saved on the server so you don't have to do anything to save.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Dumb question from someone who's never played an MMO before: what do I do when I want to stop playing? Do I have to go to a certain place? I'm assuming I don't need to "save" in the traditional sense.[/QUOTE]

Just log out. When you log back in you will be right where you were.

Just got around to downloading it since my internet has been out most of the week.

Question for PS3 players:

The site says you need $5 of DLC to become premium. Everything in the store ends in .99. Does that mean that the $4.99 DLC packs don't work, and we actually have to spend $5.99?

(or $5.94 if you buy 5 $0.99 items)

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Just got around to downloading it since my internet has been out most of the week.

Question for PS3 players:

The site says you need $5 of DLC to become premium. Everything in the store ends in .99. Does that mean that the $4.99 DLC packs don't work, and we actually have to spend $5.99?

(or $5.94 if you buy 5 $0.99 items)[/QUOTE]

That's a really good question. I ended up just buying the Green Lantern pack to get premium status.

In case anyone is wondering how much harddisk space you can save by using the Blu-ray, the answer is not much. I have 17gb installed for this game and I'm using the disc.

[quote name='Lucian']In case anyone is wondering how much harddisk space you can save by using the Blu-ray, the answer is not much. I have 17gb installed for this game and I'm using the disc.[/QUOTE]

Everyone's install is 17GB...

Does anyone know why they removed the ability to earn free station cash through special offers? I racked up a ton of SC doing those (free ones) when EQ2 Extended came out. Please don't tell me they removed it...

Is it just me or there isn't a way to change your appearance once you create a character? I kept getting kicked out of the creation area so I pretty much just went with the default so I could begin playing before getting kicked out again. I was just going to change my appearance later but now I can't find a way to do it and it's pissing me off! I need to know before I keep going just in case I have to restart my character.

[quote name='eliter1']Is it just me or there isn't a way to change your appearance once you create a character? I kept getting kicked out of the creation area so I pretty much just went with the default so I could begin playing before getting kicked out again. I was just going to change my appearance later but now I can't find a way to do it and it's pissing me off! I need to know before I keep going just in case I have to restart my character.[/QUOTE]

There is a way, I've been letting my 8 year old play it and I saw him add a cape and change his costume color. I don't know how he did it or if you can do more then that but yes you can change it, we had the same problem when first trying to create a character.

[quote name='eliter1']Is it just me or there isn't a way to change your appearance once you create a character? I kept getting kicked out of the creation area so I pretty much just went with the default so I could begin playing before getting kicked out again. I was just going to change my appearance later but now I can't find a way to do it and it's pissing me off! I need to know before I keep going just in case I have to restart my character.[/QUOTE]

From what I've found you can change your costume style, hair (you have to buy a haircut) and colors in the game after you created your character.

Downloaded it on Thursday but I kept getting a "down for maintenance" message so I haven't played it yet. I assume everything's running fine now?

I downloaded the pc version exe. When installing I selected the wrong birthdate. Now it wont let me install without calling customer service. How do i fix this?

bread's done
Back