[NOW LIVE] Free Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1(PC) Full Game Download From EA

BlueSwim

CAGiversary!
Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like free stuff, and in this case the free stuff is the original C&C: Red Alert for the PC. EA will be giving away C&C:RA this Sunday, which marks the 13th birthday for the Command & Conquer series. It will be made available on the Red Alert 3 website starting at 12 A.M. PST. I believe it will only be Sunday it's available for so you better jump on it.

This is fantastic for me because I loved RA but I lost my discs when I moved a few years ago. This makes me one VERY happy man.

Here's the original story on Kotaku.

UPDATE: It's live!!! Get your free download here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet, I don't have a PC that can handle it at the time but I'll download for sure since I'm in the process of buying one sometime soon.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Sweet, I don't have a PC that can handle it at the time but I'll download for sure since I'm in the process of buying one sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

Um, I am SURE the PC you have right now can handle it... it's so old. :/

[quote name='Moxio']Um, I am SURE the PC you have right now can handle it... it's so old. :/[/quote]

Oh damn...here I thought it was Red Alert 3...I already have Red Alert. Cool offer nonetheless, old game but a great game.

I hope it works better than the glitched to hell version from that Command and Conquer box set from a couple years back. I should really look into seeing if they ever patched that, cuz most of the games were nigh unplayable...

i actually still have the original version from way back when. i've tried to install it numerous times and it doesn't work cause it's so old. so hopefully this version will.

[quote name='Moxio']Um, I am SURE the PC you have right now can handle it... it's so old. :/[/quote]

I don't know, there was a guy in the Audiosurf thread complaining that it requires a Geforce2 and that he refused to upgrade for it.

[quote name='CYRiX']This game is free in the public domain name now.[/quote]

What magical fairy kingdom do you live in where copyright only lasts 13 years?

For those of us in the US, copyright lasts 95 years from date of publication for published works.

EDIT: Because I figure I'll get challenged on this, might as well provide proof now and save you time asking for it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Oh damn...here I thought it was Red Alert 3...I already have Red Alert. Cool offer nonetheless, old game but a great game.[/quote]

Um, why would you think they'd release the new Red Alert for free? Use some common sense....

[quote name='ChaosWeevil']What magical fairy kingdom do you live in where copyright only lasts 13 years?

For those of us in the US, copyright lasts 95 years from date of publication for published works.

EDIT: Because I figure I'll get challenged on this, might as well provide proof now and save you time asking for it.[/quote]

I'm not sure that's entirely true.

A product like this couldn't be readily available (and sold in Target at some places) if the copyright for all products lasted 95 years.

http://www.estarland.com/NintendoSuper.cat..product.28450.html

There must be a special clause for hardware or something. I won't pretend to know.

Alright everyone, it's live!!! You have to download it in two parts, and each is about 500 MB. You can get the free download here.

if you have a 64-bit version of windows (vista or xp), prepare to be let down. installer isn't compatible. actually looks like a bit of work even for a 32-bit system. doesn't look hard, just kind of annoying.

I've never played this before, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

If I'm interpreting the page right, there are two discs - an "Allied" and "Soviet" disc. We need both, right? :whistle2:s

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I've never played this before, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

If I'm interpreting the page right, there are two discs - an "Allied" and "Soviet" disc. We need both, right? :whistle2:s[/quote]

If I remember correctly (it's been a long time since I've played this!), each disk is for the respective campaign. So if you only want to play the Allied missions, you only need the Allied one. But...both are fun, so get both (the price is right, hahaha)!

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I've never played this before, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

If I'm interpreting the page right, there are two discs - an "Allied" and "Soviet" disc. We need both, right? :whistle2:s[/quote]

Allied disc has the Allied missions, Soviet has the Soviet missions. You can use one or the other, but it's best to have both.

And I'm pissed this doesn't work on 64bit Windows >_

Sorry to be semi-unhelpful, but I got the CC pack from gogamer (cc3 + cc first decade) and I got that version of RA1 working under Vista 64bit.

I think it involved a lot of the compatibility options on multiple exes, and I remember it being a bit painful going through and doing it for every cc game, but they all booted and played (first mission, scrolled around map, had tanya blow up some buildings to save einstein) in the end.

I have both parts, and have no idea how to get these working :)

I've read the instructions twice now. I guess I'll deal with it later....

Was there some compelling reason to use a RAR compression format instead of Zip (that every modern OS supports....)? At any rate, CNET's download.com had a free open source program I grabbed that decompressed it just fine. RARZilla I think it was called, but I just searched "RAR" on download.com. I got the "portable" version that doesn't install itself since I'm just using it to decompress these two files.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']if you have a 64-bit version of windows (vista or xp), prepare to be let down. installer isn't compatible. actually looks like a bit of work even for a 32-bit system. doesn't look hard, just kind of annoying.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Unassuming Local Guy']I've been using DOSBox with a Windows 3.1 install to play DOS games. Might be an option for those having Vista problems.

Now, where to get a copy of Windows...[/QUOTE]

Was this a DOS game? I don't remember for 100% sure. Seems like it would have been Windows?

I'm assuming it would be an option to install this inside Virtual PC (which is free). It claims it isn't supported on XP Home or Vista Home Premium, but at least on XP it actually does. Seems like this might run inside VirtualPC just fine, with an older OS.

Oh, and thanks for posting about this! I missed it the first time. I don't know that I'll like it 'cause I didn't like C&C2 when I picked that up cheap a few years back, but hey.

Now I just need to track down some CD-Rs. I use them soooo infrequently that I'm not even sure if I have any, or where the are. (I bought a single back back in the 90's, and I'm still using it :D )

love RA, only thing that would of made this sweeter is if they released it with the two addons, Aftermath and Counterstrike. Battle the giant ants!

FYI people with 64 bit OS, its a 16-bit installer. Unless you create a new 32 bit installer after a successful installation on a machine that allows for the 16-bit installer to run [see a program called WinInstall LE ], you're totally out of luck.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Was there some compelling reason to use a RAR compression format instead of Zip (that every modern OS supports....)? At any rate, CNET's download.com had a free open source program I grabbed that decompressed it just fine. RARZilla I think it was called, but I just searched "RAR" on download.com. I got the "portable" version that doesn't install itself since I'm just using it to decompress these two files.[/QUOTE]

Because RAR has a better compression ratio then ZIP for this type of data(usually). The more data that needs to be sent = more time, money, energy needed to transfer the files.

[quote name='soccerstud652']So how does one burn the ISO to a disc?[/quote]
I have the same question. The site says that you burn the ISO, but there is no ISO. Instead, you get the folder with all of the installation files in it. Do we burn the folder as a data disc?

Which sites do I preorder Red Alert 3 to get Red Alert 2 for free?

Is RA2 a download I can get now or do I get it when it ships/arrives in stores?

Thanks

[quote name='thepik241']Which sites do I preorder Red Alert 3 to get Red Alert 2 for free?

Is RA2 a download I can get now or do I get it when it ships/arrives in stores?

Thanks[/quote]

I would like to know this as well.

bread's done
Back