Nvidia/AMD GPU Re-stock Thread

SlaughterX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (90%)
I honestly don't want to manage this thread...  but I do think this forum would benefit from a thread that keeps people up to date on GPU restocks like the PS5 and Series X threads (but hopefully with less bickering).

Anyway I finally just received my RTX 3070, which I had to buy a whole prebuild HP OMEN 25L just to get.  Took almost 2 months but it finally got here today and the first thing I did was take out out of the OMEN and threw it in my custom build, which is a few years old, but still has a better CPU than the Ryzen 5 3500 that came with it.

It seems like the best way of scoring a card these days is through a prebuilt computer.  Right now it doesn't appear that HP has anything better than the 3060ti, which is still a pretty damn good card for the money.

When the 3080s came out I said the pricing was ridiculous and a sign of worse things to come, but you fools kept going on and on about the "value" of it performing better than a 2080TI or something bla bla bla. Well this is what you guys get.
Pretty sure it would have gone the same way even if we had whined and bitched back in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve heard that some Best Buy’s will be selling the 3080 TI in store on June 3rd so you might want to check with your local Best Buy tomorrow if they will have 3080 TI’s in store.

When the 3080s came out I said the pricing was ridiculous and a sign of worse things to come, but you fools kept going on and on about the "value" of it performing better than a 2080TI or something bla bla bla. Well this is what you guys get.

Anyway, my Alienware came in and I have it up and running. Oddly shaped feller with cramped insides, but surprisingly easy to get into and work on. Upgraded the RAM, added an NVME, SSD, replaced the HDD. So far so good. I had to exchange my new monitor because of a defect so once it comes in I'll be able to see how well it does.
Did you get air cooling or water? How is the noise?

Is the nvme pci 4? I even emailed support, did chat, no one at dell can tell me if the nvme upgrade is pcie3 or 4 - with direct storage coming you need 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that have a legit BBFB account they currently have RTX 3060 & Radeon RX 6700 XT instock. I was able to score a few RTXs over the past month. Plus a couple monster hunter rise collector edition.

Incase someone ask BBFB = Best Buy for business. This account is different from the consumer BBY account and requires a account manager.

Orders delivered!
BBFB Shipping still sucks. You would think they would ship these expensive items in a Box! Amiibo is all smashed up.

lol, did you not look above?

Anyway, I don't have time to drive to Champaign to maybe get one, as I have work in the morning and there's no way I'd be able to make it.  Honestly more than I want to pay for a GPU anyway, but good luck to all those trying tomorrow!

theres pretty much a line at every store and there's talk that Pensacola location is lying about their stock so the employees can have at it. their stocks are 40-65 and that specific location was telling ppl they only had 20

lol, did you not look above?

Anyway, I don't have time to drive to Champaign to maybe get one, as I have work in the morning and there's no way I'd be able to make it. Honestly more than I want to pay for a GPU anyway, but good luck to all those trying tomorrow!

I can see this going very badly. Best Buy needs to step up on more inventory,limit customers and employees and finally,fix the forsaken checkout system to prevent scriptbots any chance(not likely but still).

Did you get air cooling or water? How is the noise?

Is the nvme pci 4? I even emailed support, did chat, no one at dell can tell me if the nvme upgrade is pcie3 or 4 - with direct storage coming you need 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine appears to be reporting PCIe 3.0 for the NVMe. Though that could just be the drive they gave me itself rather than the motherboard caps.

While the board supports 4.0 I guess maybe 4.0 x4 is possible

"Motherboard Slots: 4xPCI Express x1, 2xPCI Express x2, 2xPCI Express x4, 2xPCI Express x8, 1xPCI Express x16"

Technically 4.0 x16 for the GPU, however it only operates at x8..

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R10-why-x8-PCI-slot-for-graphics-card/td-p/7629870

but at least the impact of x8 vs x16 is pretty minimal:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

Out of the box my system does not support Smart Access Memory / Resizable BAR. However a new system BIOS was released on May 26th that appears to:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=1xkhd&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-aurora-r10-desktop

Note that the BIOS option becomes available, but is still defaulted to 'Disabled'.

I set it to 'Auto' and checked the Resources tab under the 6800 XT's properties in Device Manager and it shows Large Memory Range now, so it works!

W2jRquq.png

Oh, and I did get liquid cooling on mine. It's a little noisy, and it does seem to mostly be the CPU cooler spinning up from time to time. The GPU I notice the delta because even in World of Warcraft 4K max settings (no RayTracing) it'll still run the fan at 0 RPM some, so just the difference of nothing to something is noticeable sometimes. Idle usage like being here is fine.

Air cooling is generally better with a large heatsink, but I had reservations about their cooler being called 'low profile' that I wasn't really sure it would be in this case.

I'm coming from an XFX R9 290X though and that thing was LOUD at 4K.. so I'm probably pretty tolerant to noise.

GamersNexus keeps mentioning they ordered one of these Ryzen Alienware systems, so I can't wait to see them make me feel bad about it whenever that video comes out ;D

GamersNexus keeps mentioning they ordered one of these Ryzen Alienware systems, so I can't wait to see them make me feel bad about it whenever that video comes out ;D
Hah, I've been waiting on that one given what a train wreck the others have been. But I picked up the i5-10400f model for $350 from someone who just bought it for the GPU. I was going to stick my old 1080 in it but that card is much too long so I'm going to try an RX580 8GB I currently have in an older system.

On the 3080Ti front, the EVGA launch was an expected debacle and I wasn't able to get a couple queue spots registered until 2.25 hours after launch. So I'm a half hour out on one of the cards but that can either go fairly quick (like the 3060 XC gaming queue moved after launch) or take forever (like most queues have moved after launch).

The EVGA Elite queue yesterday went awful.

Word to the wise, if you're Elite and want a 3070 Ti make sure you're logged into EVGA's website BEFORE the queue goes up. Sounds like common sense, but I think that's what stopped a lot of people in their tracks.

Hopefully after what happened yesterday with the 3080 Ti, EVGA improves the way it's going to be set up for the 3070 Ti or I can foresee a lot of upset people.

If anyone wants to help me snag a 3070ti I’d be willing to pay $150 over msrp. Probably a long shot but figured I’d throw that out there.

That basically is MSRP for the AIB cards. Forget the prices from 2020; those got tossed when they repriced the cards in January once tariffs hit and had an excuse to add in for scarce availability as well.

The only cards at original MSRP are the Nvidia FE cards from Best Buy. The AIB partner card that jacked up the least was EVGA. Pricing from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc is a joke now no matter where you shop.

Good news - I finally got selected in the Newegg Shuffle

Meh news - It's for a 3060

Not exactly what I wanted, but in the current climate I'll take it. Fortunately I'm still gaming at 1080p and it should be a nice upgrade from my current 1070.

i have been watching best buy.com all morning for the 3070ti; looks like it has not been available at all.    anyone know?     news said bb was going to sell 3070ti online; even though 3080ti was in person only last week.

3070Ti isn't trash; it does a fine job for 1080 and 1440 resolutions.  Any regular gamer using one is going to have a great experience.  It is probably overpriced relative to the 3070 and 3080 but, in this market, it's hard to objectively say that any card at near-MSRP is overpriced.

I stopped getting texts for the shuffles. I still get the emails, but they are useless since there’s no link. Then I forget to open the app when it starts and sign up. O well 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any mid tier graphics cards anyone would recommend keeping an eye on? New to PC gaming and am just looking for something that can do 1080p on medium settings for now, don't need anything too of the line.

Aren't those cards already out there? My RX580 does more than that still
Nah, not yet. RX 6700, 6800, and 6900 have launched but no 6600 yet.

You might be thinking of the RDNA1 5600XT? - even that is also faster than a RX580 though so I'm not sure what you mean.

Nah, not yet. RX 6700, 6800, and 6900 have launched but no 6600 yet.

You might be thinking of the RDNA1 5600XT? - even that is also faster than a RX580 though so I'm not sure what you mean.
I said my part poorly.

What they asked for is already out there. If you want those settings, those cards can be had as nobody wants them. Like yes the 5600s.

I see. Yes, it is likely to be overkill for 1080p medium. However with it being a (rumored) upcoming 'launch' I think it might be a decent opportunity to be able to buy something at MSRP if you're lucky. If there is a launch there should be stock, that stock will still sell through quickly I'm sure- but there should at least be something!

I just looked at 5600XT's (which would also be a more than fine card for those settings) and even that thing is pricey X_X

I said my part poorly.

What they asked for is already out there. If you want those settings, those cards can be had as nobody wants them. Like yes the 5600s.
I can't seem to find anything for a reasonable price even for medium settings, trying to pay MSRP. If you do see something let me know though!

What a crazy time to buy a GPU (and other PC parts). Hope this won't be such a mess by the time the 4000 series launches (next year?) but not counting on it.

Any opinions on this graphics card? $200 and in stock at Newegg and seems decent for 1080p gaming. Should work with my 400w power supply too...

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-ph-gtx1050ti-4g/p/N82E16814126170?item=N82E16814126170
I feel like $200 is a lot for it - it was $160 *four* years ago, however I know the current market is all jacked up too.

The card is considered a 'good value' for 1080p, but a year or two ago $200 could've easily landed an RX480 or so which does way more :\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FanX70_CRE

If I were approaching $200 I would consider buying a used R9 290X (or 390X) maybe, which seems to also be aroundabout $200.. It would handle 1080p easily. It was my last GPU before 6800XT. It was a flagship GPU at the time, so it runs a little hot and a loud if you're pushing it. And you won't have HDMI 2.0, so if you ever want to run at 4K you'll probably need to use DisplayPort

The 290X is power hungry though, so while you would be getting more performance for a similar price I don't think it would work well with your 400W PSU :(

If you are in the situation where you desperately need *anything* the GTX 1050Ti could work I guess.. That price in 2021 just pains me, but I guess it's reality.

I feel like $200 is a lot for it - it was $160 *four* years ago, however I know the current market is all jacked up too.
The card is considered a 'good value' for 1080p, but a year or two ago $200 could've easily landed an RX480 or so which does way more :\

If I were approaching $200 I would consider buying a used R9 290X (or 390X) maybe, which seems to also be aroundabout $200.. It would handle 1080p easily. It was my last GPU before 6800XT. It was a flagship GPU at the time, so it runs a little hot and a loud if you're pushing it. And you won't have HDMI 2.0, so if you ever want to run at 4K you'll probably need to use DisplayPort

The 290X is power hungry though, so while you would be getting more performance for a similar price I don't think it would work well with your 400W PSU :(

If you are in the situation where you desperately need *anything* the GTX 1050Ti could work I guess.. That price in 2021 just pains me, but I guess it's reality.
I know, I was doing some research on it and saw what it retailed for in 2016 and that was painful. But I just got a new work computer for a great price and want to add a graphics card for some casual PC gaming, so I don't need anything too crazy. I don't want to overhaul the whole thing with a new power supply and such so trying to work with what I have and this seems like a decent option. I've just been having trouble finding anything that would work for my PC that is in stock and I would prefer new and not used. What's even crazier is this card is $300+ on Amazon. I appreciate the feedback, I think I'll sleep on it. I wish I could find a Newegg promo code to send me over the top!

If you are also stuck with that power supply, and just want *something* for now, as much as the price sucks, I could see it being worth it. I personally hold the belief that enjoyment of your free time is the most precious resource you have, and if buying that card changes that situation for you then I think it's worth it even if it's a 'bad value'. If you are going to have more time to play over the next few months than you will say, 8 months from now, etc.

My original advice still stands too though, the RX 6600 is rumored to be announced/launching so there should be a small amount available at MSRP for that. I'm sure actually getting one will be a bloodbath, but it would be a lot faster than a 1050 Ti, and probably not much more expensive (though it is unknown.. Just like the exact launch date). It will likely also require a PCI-E power connector though, I'm not sure if you have a spare one of those in your work PC or how much of your 400 watt power budget it would eat up.

I know it's a lot of talking and not a lot of clear-cut answers, sorry, but those are my thoughts!

If you are also stuck with that power supply, and just want *something* for now, as much as the price sucks, I could see it being worth it. I personally hold the belief that enjoyment of your free time is the most precious resource you have, and if buying that card changes that situation for you then I think it's worth it even if it's a 'bad value'. If you are going to have more time to play over the next few months than you will say, 8 months from now, etc.

My original advice still stands too though, the RX 6600 is rumored to be announced/launching so there should be a small amount available at MSRP for that. I'm sure actually getting one will be a bloodbath, but it would be a lot faster than a 1050 Ti, and probably not much more expensive (though it is unknown.. Just like the exact launch date). It will likely also require a PCI-E power connector though, I'm not sure if you have a spare one of those in your work PC or how much of your 400 watt power budget it would eat up.

I know it's a lot of talking and not a lot of clear-cut answers, sorry, but those are my thoughts!
I appreciate the input. I ultimately decided to just get it. I think I made the right call as it's now sold out. I think I'll keep an eye out on the one you mentioned and do some research on it to make sure it would fit my current PC, the power supply does have an extra PCI-E connector so it could be possible. It seems like pricing is starting to level out a bit, but I firmly believe that I could at the very least get my money back for the 1050ti in the next 6 months or so if I was able to score a different card as it's selling for $300+ on Amazon and other places. From what I can gather a 1060 would have been perfect for me, but I can't find one of those for a reasonable price. Everything else I have found would be too much of a power draw for my power supply. I appreciate all the input and I'll stay on the hunt somewhat, but as you said I think I'll get a bit of enjoyment out of this card now and that's all that really matters.

My PSU is 500W with i7 10700k 10gen cpu. Will R9 290X fit with my PSU? My brother bought a computer from dell and he took of the 3060 to upgrade his computer and he gave me that desktop without a GPU because he doesn’t need it. I am thinking to buy one budget GPU with 1080 setting to put it in for my first gaming desktop. But I don’t know which one is good and with a less inflated price …like GTX 1050 ti..

Here is my spec of the desktop .
10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700F processor(8-Core, 16M Cache, 2.9GHz to 4.8GHz)
Windows 10 Home English
1 x 16GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz
512GB PCIe M.2 SSD +1TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD
500W Chassis with Bezel and Internal Lighting

Thank you so much .

Funny you mention the 1060, the R9 290X seems to perform about 10% or so short of the 1060 so it's in the same ballpark.

As for the power supply question I think you'd really be pushing it, but it may work. If possible I'd recommend being able to return the GPU in case it doesn't work.

I just plugged things in here (290X wasn't listed so I used 390X, basically the same card - on that note if you can find a 390X for the same price/8GB instead of 4GB go for that instead)

https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

It came out to about 487 watts. If you assume they're adding in a little overhead then I think you may be able to swing it.

Another thing worth noting about the 290X/390X is that while I think it's a decent stopgap card for the current market (it hits the intersection of old-ish, powerful-ish, and not-as-well-known-ish), AMD considers this card legacy now and future problems won't be fixed. The last driver update for it was within the last month or so, so cutting off support is very recent. However, if some new game comes out and has an issue that isn't solved generically (ie, is specific to this card) it probably won't get fixed. Everything that's already out should be pretty much fine though.

bread's done
Back