Nvidia/AMD GPU Re-stock Thread

SlaughterX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (90%)
I honestly don't want to manage this thread...  but I do think this forum would benefit from a thread that keeps people up to date on GPU restocks like the PS5 and Series X threads (but hopefully with less bickering).

Anyway I finally just received my RTX 3070, which I had to buy a whole prebuild HP OMEN 25L just to get.  Took almost 2 months but it finally got here today and the first thing I did was take out out of the OMEN and threw it in my custom build, which is a few years old, but still has a better CPU than the Ryzen 5 3500 that came with it.

It seems like the best way of scoring a card these days is through a prebuilt computer.  Right now it doesn't appear that HP has anything better than the 3060ti, which is still a pretty damn good card for the money.

this morning best buy had some nvidia founders restocks, all models, but low quantity, it was for store pickup only.

I tried several times and my web page just sat there saying i was in line, please wait...... 

anyway, so yeah, that happened!     lol   

this morning best buy had some nvidia founders restocks, all models, but low quantity, it was for store pickup only.

I tried several times and my web page just sat there saying i was in line, please wait......

anyway, so yeah, that happened! lol
Yeah, bots and resellers have found ways around the Best Buy system at this point.

I'm at the point where I think I'm pretty much locked in with my 1070 until '23.

anyway, so yeah, that happened! lol
They’ve been releasing the FEs (and other cards) every week for the last 6-8 weeks sans Thanksgiving.

I've given up to point if can't get card will just settle on a prebuilt. Not worth dealing with the constant scriptbots or rising msrp

GTX3080 FE's in stock at Best Buy.

Edit: All kinds of weird issues for product availability on this one.  No idea if they are actually around or not.  

Last edited by a moderator:
i found a 3060ti at a best buy today. I searched "rtx" on the best buy app and selected show store stock and it said a store near me had one. asked an employee in store about it. he checked the computer and sure enough pulled one out the back. said it was a return but after testing it theres nothing wrong with it.

Is there a good forum online to ask about where to buy a gaming laptop? Looking to finally get one for VR and play Half-Life alyx, not interested in a desktop.

Good news is there were actually plenty of 3050 models listed on Newegg yesterday at $249. I tried and didn't get any.

However I did buy a card! Best Buy had a RX6600 for 479 which isn't great, but I had a promo and certs to bring it better for me. Now I can sell my RX580 and get most of that back.

$480 for a 6600 is surprisingly 'better than awful' in the current market.  I'm keeping my eye on things in case my 3+ year old 580 dies (not that I'm expecting it).  Amazon (actually sold by Amazon and not a third-party seller relisting) is selling 6600 for $600+

My local Micro Center shows a couple models of 6600 in stock at $469 each and (supposedly) 25+ of each in stock.

EVGA has a "DIY" builder with some cards in stock at the moment.  Sort of like having to build your own Newegg bundle but without the shuffle/raffle.

Currently have 3070Ti ($829) and 3080 12GB ($1299) cards available but stock comes and goes quickly.

BB had a bunch of Nvidia founders drops this morning, went so fast couldn't get one.
I defy anyone that says they had a bunch of them. I have missed every drop they have had for the last year. Always stuck in the "verify your account" loop and then by the time the button comes up, they're all gone.

I defy anyone that says they had a bunch of them. I have missed every drop they have had for the last year. Always stuck in the "verify your account" loop and then by the time the button comes up, they're all gone.
I get the same loop. I managed to get two 3070s for kids in Jan 2021 and have been trying to get another since with no luck. At some point, they changed how the site works and since then I get the verify account loop every time. I suspect bots have a way around this and buy them all up.

It's not bad.  I threw the parts into PCPartPicker (assumed a cheap MB, Case & PSU and excluded an OS) and came out at $600 pre-GPU.  Even at MSRP, you're not going to get a 3060ti for under $300

The low RAM and SSD capacity are an issue and someone who bought this would want to quickly upgrade those on their own rather than pay the high prices HP charges for an add-on.

people are saying that 3000 cards are starting to become available everywhere.

The first big eye opener to me was when I saw a whole glass case wall of 3060 Ti's and 3070 Ti's at Microcenter for $660-$900 two weeks ago.   Now granted, you don't want to overpay for second and third tier cards at those price points.  That's terrible.   But the winds have changed. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r10-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-6800xt-1tbb-ssd-1tb-hdd-black/6495948.p?skuId=6495948

On the prebuilt side, Best Buy's Deal of the Day is an Alienware with a Ryzen 7 5800, Radeon RX 6800XT, 1TB SSD + 1TB mechanical, 16GB RAM.

It's not awful for those components, but you won't be getting much more life out of an AM4 socket and Alienware uses all these weird proprietary motherboard/power supply parts, so it wouldn't be great if you wanted to hack it apart or upgrade later.

The case's cooling is pretty meh too (and since all the stuff is proprietary you can't just transfer to another case). It at least uses the liquid cooling for the CPU according to the specifications on the page, the 'low profile air cooler' on these on Dell's website is garbage, so thankfully it isn't that.

I wouldn't change course on existing plans to go out of my way to grab this, but if you've just been patiently waiting for a pre-built, maybe it could suit you.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r10-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-6800xt-1tbb-ssd-1tb-hdd-black/6495948.p?skuId=6495948

On the prebuilt side, Best Buy's Deal of the Day is an Alienware with a Ryzen 7 5800, Radeon RX 6800XT, 1TB SSD + 1TB mechanical, 16GB RAM.

It's not awful for those components, but you won't be getting much more life out of an AM4 socket and Alienware uses all these weird proprietary motherboard/power supply parts, so it wouldn't be great if you wanted to hack it apart or upgrade later.

The case's cooling is pretty meh too (and since all the stuff is proprietary you can't just transfer to another case). It at least uses the liquid cooling for the CPU according to the specifications on the page, the 'low profile air cooler' on these on Dell's website is garbage, so thankfully it isn't that.

I wouldn't change course on existing plans to go out of my way to grab this, but if you've just been patiently waiting for a pre-built, maybe it could suit you.
What you say has merit. I own an Aurora R10 and I have been building my own gaming rigs for the past 10-15 years. I bought one because the GPU shortages. There are some good and bad with these systems. Yeah the motherboard is proprietary but push come to shove you can take the CPU/GPU and drop it into a new build. The PSU is a fully modular ATX. As far as thermals, yeah the inside of the chassis is small bordering on ITX. The GPU is a Dell OEM design so it's shorter than a standard card.

As far as thermals go, it is hit and miss. Yeah the cramped internals will cause the thermals to rise. However with the AWCC app you can create fan profiles to compensate for that and using that with MSI Afterburner, you can manage the thermals quite easily so as you say, the thermals are NOT ideal but you can get around it.

So the question is, would I do it again? Yeah, because of the GPU shortage and scalpers. Even if that weren't the problem, the PC is really fast and Dell contrary to popular beliefs does use quality parts with the caveat they being "proprietary".

I also got a really decent deal with my R10. For $1240 it came with a Ryzen 3800X, Liquid Cooled platinum rated 1000W PSU, 8GB of RAM (upgraded to 32GB), RTX 2070 Super, 512GB Hynix NVME, Wifi 6. So not too shabby and gaming wise the R10 handles everything in Ultra @ 1080P and 1440P.

I put in an order for another R10 with discounts for $2006 and that has a Ryzen 5900, Liquid Cooled 1000W PSU, RX 6900 XT, 16GB of RAM, Wifi 6, 1TB Hynix NVME. It really is tough to beat that sourcing all those parts. So the bottom line is yeah, you make good points but if you can get a good deal, these Alienware's are not that bad. There are work around solutions.

There's predictions that GPU prices could soon level or go back up now that the Etherium changes have (again) been pushed back from June/July to "probably second half of 2022".  So someone thinking that the current prices look acceptable might want to buy now. Or not, who knows, everything's a gamble.

There's predictions that GPU prices could soon level or go back up now that the Etherium changes have (again) been pushed back from June/July to "probably second half of 2022". So someone thinking that the current prices look acceptable might want to buy now. Or not, who knows, everything's a gamble.
I don't think miners are going to be buying new cards for it. They wouldn't have time to recoup the cost of new cards even on a delayed schedule. Prices will probably drop to MSRP-ish in the next month and then stay there until something major actually does happen.

There's predictions that GPU prices could soon level or go back up now that the Etherium changes have (again) been pushed back from June/July to "probably second half of 2022". So someone thinking that the current prices look acceptable might want to buy now. Or not, who knows, everything's a gamble.
China is starting to lockdown cities for COVID again... so who knows.

What you say has merit. I own an Aurora R10 and I have been building my own gaming rigs for the past 10-15 years. I bought one because the GPU shortages. There are some good and bad with these systems. Yeah the motherboard is proprietary but push come to shove you can take the CPU/GPU and drop it into a new build. The PSU is a fully modular ATX. As far as thermals, yeah the inside of the chassis is small bordering on ITX. The GPU is a Dell OEM design so it's shorter than a standard card.

As far as thermals go, it is hit and miss. Yeah the cramped internals will cause the thermals to rise. However with the AWCC app you can create fan profiles to compensate for that and using that with MSI Afterburner, you can manage the thermals quite easily so as you say, the thermals are NOT ideal but you can get around it.

So the question is, would I do it again? Yeah, because of the GPU shortage and scalpers. Even if that weren't the problem, the PC is really fast and Dell contrary to popular beliefs does use quality parts with the caveat they being "proprietary".

I also got a really decent deal with my R10. For $1240 it came with a Ryzen 3800X, Liquid Cooled platinum rated 1000W PSU, 8GB of RAM (upgraded to 32GB), RTX 2070 Super, 512GB Hynix NVME, Wifi 6. So not too shabby and gaming wise the R10 handles everything in Ultra @ 1080P and 1440P.

I put in an order for another R10 with discounts for $2006 and that has a Ryzen 5900, Liquid Cooled 1000W PSU, RX 6900 XT, 16GB of RAM, Wifi 6, 1TB Hynix NVME. It really is tough to beat that sourcing all those parts. So the bottom line is yeah, you make good points but if you can get a good deal, these Alienware's are not that bad. There are work around solutions.
I have it too :) Similar story, I usually build my own but ended up getting a pre-built because of shortages. With how long it took, I don't feel too bad about it in hindsight, I've had it for a year now. The one I have is almost exactly spec'd like the Best Buy deal was, just with 32GB RAM instead of 16. Ryzen 5800 + RX 6800XT. They were charging an arm and a leg for Nvidia, but Radeon was reasonable. It's been a great system overall. A little toasty to be sure, but otherwise fine.

I kind of wish I had gone with the 5900, as I later started dabbling in VTubing + streaming. That eats up a lot of my cores, but the 5800 still handles it just fine. Though, with how much they cost now I could get one myself cheaper than what Dell was trying to charge to upgrade to one, plus I would still have the 5800 to repurpose/sell/etc.

I have it too :) Similar story, I usually build my own but ended up getting a pre-built because of shortages. With how long it took, I don't feel too bad about it in hindsight, I've had it for a year now. The one I have is almost exactly spec'd like the Best Buy deal was, just with 32GB RAM instead of 16. Ryzen 5800 + RX 6800XT. They were charging an arm and a leg for Nvidia, but Radeon was reasonable. It's been a great system overall. A little toasty to be sure, but otherwise fine.

I kind of wish I had gone with the 5900, as I later started dabbling in VTubing + streaming. That eats up a lot of my cores, but the 5800 still handles it just fine. Though, with how much they cost now I could get one myself cheaper than what Dell was trying to charge to upgrade to one, plus I would still have the 5800 to repurpose/sell/etc.
Yeah, i'm with you. These really aren't bad little systems, though they are not ideal. But if you can snag one on sale with a heavy discount, most gamers would be quite happy with the performance. The Aurora R13/R14 have fixed a lot of the heat problems but even those can get toasty if you don't watch them.

I really couldn't pass up the $2006 offer for a spec'd out Aurora R10 with a Ryzen 5900 and RX 6900 XT. Performance wise, like I mentioned, i'm quite happy with my 3800X, R10. It plays Elden Ring at 60Hz with max settings in 1080p.

I've been glancing at prices but my 580 is still working so not really in a big rush. That said, I'm more than willing to buy if prices hit non-miner/standard levels. I'm going to appoint you my official 'buy-now' guy so you must send out a red alert when an AMD card hits a good price/performance mark!

I'm definitely tempted to get a $300 RTX 3050 right now, since my old R9 270x died and I'm limping along on my prior card, ye olde GTX 460, but I really want it to hit MSRP. I just need something to last until PCIE 5, DDR5 and ray tracing mature enough to be worth the splurge.

IIRC, the MSRP for the RX 6800 XT was around $599-649. The MSRP for the RX 6900 XT was around $999.
Ah, youre right. I didn't Google that closely and the Amazon listing I saw was misleading.

I don't follow this market that close. Are you all expecting thins to keep falling or is waiting to pull the trigger risking prices rebounding?

Since I want my EGPU for both PC and Mac, Im kinda stuck with AMD

Lots of outlets report both AMD and Nvidia are rumored to have new products later this year, so I'd personally guess things will keep falling.

That's just a guess though.. I have no idea what could actually happen.

Technically Intel are now later this year too, but that's a slightly different situation lol

Lots of outlets report both AMD and Nvidia are rumored to have new products later this year, so I'd personally guess things will keep falling.

That's just a guess though.. I have no idea what could actually happen.

Technically Intel are now later this year too, but that's a slightly different situation lol
Indeed. It's always a dire situation and prospect.

Two years ago I was telling everybody to stop buying RTX 2000 series cards. They were overpriced and the new 3000 cards were going to come out in a couple of months and blow them out of the water. They did, and then we all know what proceeded to happen after that...

So those overpriced $500 RTX 2070's and $800 2080's in mid-2020 didn't turn out to be poor investments at all, even though all the news suggested otherwise. However, it's still really hard to recommend an overpriced card today that is now coming up on being two years old, and last cycle, come this fall.

Just remember that these Nvidia RTX 4000 cards are probably going to be highly contested and exorbitantly overpriced when they come out. So it's probably not a bad recommendation to buy "last year's" cards any longer. It will probably be good to buy them as they continue to approach their originally intended MSRPs.

I felt pretty decent about buying a 3060 TI FTW3 from Microcenter for $539 about a week ago. If the 4000 series drops and just blows it out of the water for a similar price, hey that's just how it goes sometimes. I'm using best available information and so be it.

"There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

Ah, youre right. I didn't Google that closely and the Amazon listing I saw was misleading.

I don't follow this market that close. Are you all expecting thins to keep falling or is waiting to pull the trigger risking prices rebounding?

Since I want my EGPU for both PC and Mac, Im kinda stuck with AMD
It really all depends on what's going to happen with Cryptos. The GPU market caused prices to inflate by nearly 2-3 times over the MSRP for a couple of reasons.

1) Pandemic, stay at home people with government checks looking to spend their free money. This also had a HUGE affect on Next-Gen consoles as well.

2) Supply chain shortages

At one point new GPU's were released every year and now they seem to be on a 2 year release cycle.

Just remember that these Nvidia RTX 4000 cards are probably going to be highly contested and exorbitantly overpriced when they come out. So it's probably not a bad recommendation to buy "last year's" cards any longer. It will probably be good to buy them as they continue to approach their originally intended MSRPs.
Totally agree and a lot of people seem to forget about that. The XBOX supply chain is now starting to loosen up a bit. There seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel as well for the PS5 but now we are looking at close to 2 years since the release of both consoles. Not too long ago, new videocards were announced and released each year. Now we are at a 2 yr window so the 4000 series cards are going to be in HOT demand and that makes the situation even worse because people are going to want the new GPU's figuring the next series will be out 24 months later instead of 12 months. So that puts a strain on supply.

Supply might not ease up until the 5000 series get announced and that's a big maybe.

I felt pretty decent about buying a 3060 TI FTW3 from Microcenter for $539 about a week ago. If the 4000 series drops and just blows it out of the water for a similar price, hey that's just how it goes sometimes. I'm using best available information and so be it.

"There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."
Reasons to wait for 4000: Safe to assume that the 4000 series will be something like 4050 = 3060, 4060 = 3070, and so on. There's about a $100 price differential between tiers of the 3000 series. So you could think of it as saving $100 or so. At the higher end the difference is more prominent. A 3080 for instance right now isn't a great buy because it'll be outclassed by the definitely cheaper 4070.

Reasons to buy before 4000: base MSRP will probably be higher for the 4000 series, there may be a used card crash, and the 4000 series supposed to be pretty power hungry.

My suggestion? Do not buy now. Pick up a used 3060ti or 3070 when the prices bottom out and you'll get a sweet deal. Used GPUs, even mining cards, are usually pretty easy to refurb and run just fine. I'm guessing mid-summer will be the right time to pull the trigger.

yeah, the performance of 4000 cards may be good, but the power-hungry part has me worried.    yes, could get some killer deals on people selling their 3000 cards upgrading to 4000.    Might be a great time to pickup a GPU.     time will tell

doing my first pc build and a noob

I see the 3070 Ti is 780 on sale at Bestbuy.  Is this a jump on it kid of deal?

My goal is only 1080p 60fps for most games, but I do have a 1440p 144hz monitor, so some games I might try to run at that.  Just wondering if the 3070 is good or overkill.

I also see the 3060 Ti mentioned, but it's oos

bread's done
Back