Offical Heavenly Sword Thread (Current GStat av score = 8.0)

How do you like the "slowly dieing" game mechanic? I thought it was dumb, but seeing how you'll be able to regain your "life force" by killing others seems like a good balance. I thought they were going to have you rush through the game before the death clock caught up to you.

[quote name='NamPaehc']How do you like the "slowly dieing" game mechanic? I thought it was dumb, but seeing how you'll be able to regain your "life force" by killing others seems like a good balance. I thought they were going to have you rush through the game before the death clock caught up to you.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like the sword in Shinobi...if you didn't kill enough it would start taking your life away.

[quote name='NamPaehc']How do you like the "slowly dieing" game mechanic? I thought it was dumb, but seeing how you'll be able to regain your "life force" by killing others seems like a good balance. I thought they were going to have you rush through the game before the death clock caught up to you.[/QUOTE]

it could be really good or it could be really bad.

Friday- 10 Things You Didn't Know about Heavenly Sword.

"Think you know everything about PlayStation 3 heavyweight Heavenly Sword? Think again. This article is the perfect primer for those interested in wielding the all-mighty Heavenly Sword this fall.

1. Nariko is dying.

The Heavenly Sword is a godly weapon that recently fell into the mortal realm. Because only gods can wield the Heavenly Sword without ill effects, Nariko is succumbing to its poisonous effects and has only hours to live when the game opens. In gameplay, your life meter is constantly depleting and can only be sustained through constant combat. This helps keep the focus on swordplay and not frustrating puzzles or platform-jumping exercises.

2. The head baddy is named King Botham.

Unfortunately, we don't know much about him aside from the fact that Lord of the Rings actor Andy Serkis (Gollum) is supplying motion-captured acting and facial expressions. His character is described as an invading, genocidal tyrant, but little else is known about his role or personality.

3. Nariko has three fighting stances.

With a press of a button, Nariko can swap between three core fighting styles. Ranged style allows Nariko to assault foes from a distance, though it lacks stopping power; Speed gives Nariko two short-swords for close-quarters combat but won't defeat the toughest enemies; and Power style creates one massive sword than inflicts monumental damage, though it suffers from a slow swing time. Knowing when to swap between Nariko's styles will be a key element in the final game.

4. The Cell processor pulls of some fancy tricks.

Heavenly Sword may just be the game to show what Sony's high-end Cell CPU is made of. According to our talks with the developers at Ninja Theory, the Cell's supposedly prodigious processing power enables some high-end effects, such as swirling cloth and hair, dazzling particle effects, and gorgeous waterfalls.

5. You'll fight many, many, many enemies at once.

To keep up with the hundreds of on-screen enemies, the Cell CPU has to pull off some sophisticated artificial intelligence. The trick is that Cell treats entire regiments as a single unit of artificial intelligence at a distance; as they draw closer, Cell gradually divides the army into smaller and smaller groups, and finally individual troops with unique fighting styles.

6. The Sixaxis motion sensor guide projectiles in mid-flight.

Nariko can pick up and throw nearly anything, or use a cannon to blast away at enemies. After firing a projectile, the camera changes to first-person to follow the projectile, at which point you can influence its trajectory by tilting the Sixaxis - this feature is called "aftertouch." Analog sticks also work.

7. You don't fight monstrous creatures...at least, not yet.

Judging by our hands-on experience with Heavenly Sword, the core enemies will be human swordsmen. This doesn't mean that the final game won't have supernatural foes, but so far, the focus is on Kill Bill-style swordplay.

8. Multiplayer is still a question mark.

Ninja Theory won't confirm or deny a multiplayer mode for Heavenly Sword. Is it under consideration? We have no clue.

9. Heavenly Sword has certain similarities to God of War.

Beyond the core hack-and-slash action, Heavenly Sword bears some key similarities to Sony's other action series, God of War. Nariko can switch to a chain-based weapon style that bears more than a passing resemblance to Kratos's infamous Blades of Athena. And there are "hero sequences" in which the player must react to onscreen prompts to survive -- much like Krato's bloody finishing moves.

10. Ninja Theory was previously called Just Add Monsters.

The developers of Heavenly Sword, Ninja Theory, were previously known as Just Add Monsters. This was the same team who released the so-so Kung Fu Chaos for the original Xbox. We know that the newly named Ninja Theory has been working on Heavenly Sword for several years - hopefully the final game will be a steep improvement over their past work.
"

That is it for Heavenly Sword Week! I'll be adding all the links to the first thread for people won't have to dig later on.

I know this is kind of off topic but how come when they describe the graphics they talk about how powerful Cell is? What about the Nvidia RSX? Isn't the RSX the graphic component of the PS3, so why do they fail to mention it every time the describe "high-end effects, such as swirling cloth and hair, dazzling particle effects, and gorgeous waterfalls." not just in Heavenly sword but pretty much any PS3 centric game.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I know this is kind of off topic but how come when they describe the graphics they talk about how powerful Cell is? What about the Nvidia RSX? Isn't the RSX the graphic component of the PS3, so why do they fail to mention it every time the describe "high-end effects, such as swirling cloth and hair, dazzling particle effects, and gorgeous waterfalls." not just in Heavenly sword but pretty much any PS3 centric game.[/quote]

As I understand it, they credit the cell for some of those effects because they're physics-based. Developers are able to assign all physics calculations to run on one of the SPE's without sacrificing other resources. By doing this, just one of the SPE's calculates how the cloth and hair is supposed to move or how the water splashes at the base of a waterfall without taking away from the framerate, AI, shadows, or whatever other processes are being calculated at the time.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I know this is kind of off topic but how come when they describe the graphics they talk about how powerful Cell is? What about the Nvidia RSX? Isn't the RSX the graphic component of the PS3, so why do they fail to mention it every time the describe "high-end effects, such as swirling cloth and hair, dazzling particle effects, and gorgeous waterfalls." not just in Heavenly sword but pretty much any PS3 centric game.[/quote]

The cell can do both. There are videos on-line of the cell doing everything of the AI, physics and graphics. Someone on this board has mentioned before that the PS3 was originally designed not to have a graphics card and just the Cell. However, Sony realized that this was EXTREMELY hard to code for, hence the RSX and the Xenon being a little bit better.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']The cell can do both. There are videos on-line of the cell doing everything of the AI, physics and graphics. Someone on this board has mentioned before that the PS3 was originally designed not to have a graphics card and just the Cell. However, Sony realized that this was EXTREMELY hard to code for, hence the RSX and the Xenon being a little bit better.[/quote]

IIRC, some of the videos and even some gameplay that was shown when the PS3 was first unveiled was running entirely on the Cell - no GPU.

I really can't wait until the PS3's graphics take off. This looks like it could be one of the titles that helps push things forward. I remember seeing the video way back when of the light showing through a guys ear as if it was real (partly transparent and you could see the color change red to show the blood in it and whatever) so the whole package can be powerful if the devs get a hold of things.

Yeah, I think we'll be seeing a lot more high-quality games before the end of the year. Between the FFXIII demo and Heavenly Sword, there's going to be a lot of eye-candy. And that's not to mention the dozen or so big titles that are planned for late-Q3 and Q4 this year.

[quote name='whoknows']I hope it's not a GoW clone and it doesn't look to be.

There looks to be more depth in Heavenly Swords' combat...then again, the combat in GoW had no depth...it was all button mashing.[/quote]

Now you mentioned, good point! But i don't really care, GoW is a good game, without much button smashingand angle problems, it would be a great game! I believe ultimately comes down to the game's charisma (the characters, stories, gameplay, graphics etc...)

I have to admit that Kratos is not a good looking guy at all, i really hate the white and red tatooed look. But after beating the game and comparing to the original Kratos in the Character Graveyard, i think the white and red kratos is better, weird huh?

It's really rare for me to be absorbed into a game like GoW, b/c i got tons of other things to do and often i have to save and continue later...

So, if Heavenly Sword got what GoW got, SOLD (even if i don't have a PS3 already). At this point, the lady got my love already ;)

Any words on blood and nudity??? Probably not nudity... i don't wanna see the lady interact with two guys, that's a no no. Any chance the chick is a lesbian?

[quote name='Serpentor']
Any words on blood and nudity??? Probably not nudity... i don't wanna see the lady interact with two guys, that's a no no. Any chance the chick is a lesbian?[/QUOTE]

She's a tranny, and there's no blood-- just sweat that flies off the characters ala MK 1 for the snes.

[quote name='Apossum']She's a tranny, and there's no blood-- just sweat that flies off the characters ala MK 1 for the snes.[/quote]

They probably did this for the rating? I don't care much about blood, as long as there are sexy babes in the game :lol:

[quote name='NamPaehc']How do you like the "slowly dieing" game mechanic? I thought it was dumb, but seeing how you'll be able to regain your "life force" by killing others seems like a good balance. I thought they were going to have you rush through the game before the death clock caught up to you.[/quote]

I dunno, I wouldnt dismiss it as being bad yet. We dont know much about it, and I am sure the developers wouldnt make a great game then screw it up with one feature.

ITs like making a really good pasta meal with amazing ingerdients and then covering it with Mayo and PeanutButter.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']ITs like making a really good pasta meal with amazing ingerdients and then covering it with Mayo and PeanutButter.[/quote]

you dont do that? I thought everyone did.

anyways, when's the actual release on this one?

[quote name='tiredfornow']you dont do that? I thought everyone did.

anyways, when's the actual release on this one?[/quote]

Man, it suppose to be out already... i believe it got pushed back to July? Darn...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea, I played the demo.

It looked really good, the screens look about the same.[/QUOTE]
There is a Demo out?

[quote name='mwynn']There is a Demo out?[/QUOTE]

they had a short one at E3 last year, it's the same level as they showed at the sony press conference that year

[quote name='Serpentor']Man, it suppose to be out already... i believe it got pushed back to July? Darn...[/quote]

yeah I just saw Lair and Heavenly Sword are now slated for a back to back release, july 30 and july 31st? that's just from the gamestop print out so I dont know. If that's true though, my birthday is july 30th and I'll have two awesome presents :p

[quote name='tiredfornow']yeah I just saw Lair and Heavenly Sword are now slated for a back to back release, july 30 and july 31st? that's just from the gamestop print out so I dont know. If that's true though, my birthday is july 30th and I'll have two awesome presents :p[/quote]

HS is slated for August/September as of right now.

looks like b'day present for me then :)

ayi, doesn't matter though, i just want to play it soon... actually, it's all good, i got plans in the summer, so it works out for me.

Sorry for the meaningless post :p

PSU: What is the planned max resolution and framerate for Heavenly Sword?

Shubel: Right now were working at 720P, 30fps....

boo 30fps. oh well, the rest sounds great/

[quote name='Apossum']boo 30fps. oh well, the rest sounds great/[/quote]

I think they'll get that up before the game launches. I read low frame rates all the time for titles then they improve it somehow near the end.

Haven't seen much news on this game lately.

[quote name='Apossum']there's no blood-- just sweat that flies off the characters ala MK 1 for the snes.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who kinda likes that sometimes? It gives the game a bit of that "How in the hell did he survive that?" vibe I do so enjoy in the more unrealistic kung fu movies...

I can definitely see a guy sweating right before getting his nuts pounded on by a giant sword, but not after lol

I probably wouldn't mind 30fps in this game. You can't deny that even at 30fps, the current previews and videos out for the game right now look amazing. I think I actually prefer 30fps for most things over 60fps. 60fps kind of puts it over the edge for me; the characters and action move at a fast pace (of course I guess that's the point of it), things look glossy for some reason (could be just coincidence). I'm not really sure how to explain it. It's like watching a movie or tv shows like Heroes, vs watching the news, or soap operas, or those reality/game shows. In PS3 terms, it's like Resistance or Motorstorm vs. Ninja Gaiden Sigma or Ridge racer 7. Gritty explosive action vs fast paced slick action.

I also hope there are extras and unlockables as the interview says. Maybe some extra costumes or hairstyles or something like that. I like playing with looks of a character like in GoW2 or rpg games with visual differences between armors and weapons. I'm one of those people that spend long periods of time creating characters in mmo's lol

I was blowing this game off till like yesterday I was listening to a podcast and they called the game Goddess of War. That made me check into it more. I hope they get the camera and controls right. I had thought it was more 99 Knights before, which would suck.

[quote name='BREVITY']I was blowing this game off till like yesterday I was listening to a podcast and they called the game Goddess of War. That made me check into it more. I hope they get the camera and controls right. I had thought it was more 99 Knights before, which would suck.[/quote]

That'd be pretty sweet if they just called it Goddess of War.

That'd kick ass. And the two games eventually collide and the characters cross over.

Game is 90% done and MIGHT get multiplayer DLC...

Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades has told Eurogamer that a multiplayer mode for Heavenly Sword could pop up sooner than we thought.

It won't feature at launch, he clarified, but his team has its sights firmly set on it.

"There's no multiplayer mode in Heavenly Sword as our focus was always to create an intense personal experience; it would have been too damn complex to deal with that as well," Antoniades told Eurogamer. "We did, however, develop the combat system using multiplayer test levels, as it's a great way of soak testing and balancing it."

"So who knows? Maybe we will decide to go down that route sometime soon. And when we do, it won't just be slapped-on to please marketing tick-boxes. You can be assured that we have our sights on multiplayer."

Heavenly Sword is around 90 per cent complete at the moment, reckons Antoniades, with mainly testing and bug finding to do before its September launch. And he's confident that Ninja Theory has used the extended development time to really wrestle an impressive performance from Sony's new console.

"We are pushing it bloody hard - that's for sure!" he promised. "But this is our first-generation engine for PS3, so there's certainly a lot more in the machine to give. And, more importantly, there's more in us to give it."

We'll be bringing you our full interview with Tameem Antoniades tomorrow morning.

fucking DLC. Something like multiplayer should be included on day one. DLC is for extra content that isn't as significant. I don't like the way this gen is heading with DLC. Other than that, good news about the game almost being done.

Large Image gallery.
644_0002.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but the hair on the heroine really looks like shit, it's a pretty stark contrast to the rest of the detail they put into the model.

I like that red hair... reminds me of Kabuki Quatum Fighter.
The only thing, that needs to be perfect w/ this game is the gameplay and the game itself, good levels, bosses, etc. The game moves pretty fast too, I didn't expect that. I just like beat em ups... so I'll be getting this game day one.

[quote name='Roufuss']Maybe it's just me, but the hair on the heroine really looks like shit, it's a pretty stark contrast to the rest of the detail they put into the model.[/quote]

Game is 90% done, so maybe the hair is in the last 10%? :)

[quote name='Roufuss']Maybe it's just me, but the hair on the heroine really looks like shit, it's a pretty stark contrast to the rest of the detail they put into the model.[/QUOTE]

yeah, she has a bad case of Dead or Alive hair.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, she has a bad case of Dead or Alive hair.[/QUOTE]

Ha!

That's the exact game I was thinking of too.

The next trend all these deveopers should pick up on is realistic hair ;)

bread's done
Back