Offical Heavenly Sword Thread (Current GStat av score = 8.0)

Tee hee.

untitled1sr2.jpg

E3 '05 CG on the left, 2007 realtime on the right

posted by Blacksin on psinext.

1. Heavenly Sword looks fantastic.
2. Heavenly Sword looks like a rip off of God of War.

The more I see this game the more I think 'God of War' clone. Of course I want this though, since there is not GoW for the PS3 (...yet).

[quote name='Vinny']1. Heavenly Sword looks fantastic.

The more I see this game the more I think 'God of War' clone. Of course I want this though, since there is not GoW for the PS3 (...yet).[/QUOTE]

Hey, I have NO problems with a God of War clone. :)

[quote name='Vinny']1. Heavenly Sword looks fantastic.

The more I see this game the more I think 'God of War' clone. Of course I want this though, since there is not GoW for the PS3 (...yet).[/quote]Goddess of War

My favorite game of all time on PS2? God of War
So as you see, I have no problem with a God of War clone on the PS3, as long as it plays well and doesn't suck.

Plus it's got a good looking girl, and as a heterosexual male, how can I not like that? :)

Damnit damnit damnit. Hate to say it but the only thing holding me back is the $600 pricetag. Otherwise I'm already all over a PS3.

God of War clone? Fine by me, we'll need something to hold us over until GoW3 comes out. Hm... actually I haven't played GoW1 and 2 all the way through yet since I don't own a PS2. Well, there's a reason to buy a ps3.

Anyone else like the character design, not too typical. For example, the lead female is not horrendously overproportioned. Instead, she looks like a mature athletic woman.

The sidekick, while a little cute, is more creepy insane.

[quote name='dallow']
untitled1sr2.jpg

E3 '05 CG on the left, 2007 realtime on the right

posted by Blacksin on psinext.[/quote]

Haha, fucking owned. Looks so much better than its E305 CG trailer.

Killzone next? :bouncy:

[quote name='Dezuria']Hey, I have NO problems with a God of War clone. :)[/QUOTE]
I do.

*Disclaimer: do not read the following if you love GoW and get mad about video games easily

GoW plays like a Dynasty Warriors game except you occasionally get a different enemy to fight and it has button pressing minigames. Its a extremely repetitive button masher

[quote name='whoknows']I do.

*Disclaimer: do not read the following if you love GoW and get mad about video games easily

GoW plays like a Dynasty Warriors game except you occasionally get a different enemy to fight and it has button pressing minigames. Its a extremely repetitive button masher
[/quote]

every game has something taken away from other games...

[quote name='whoknows']

[/QUOTE]

I agree GoW can get really mashy. The weird thing is GoW's gameplay didn't extremely annoy me like Dynasty Warriors or 99 Nights did. You could mention that the platforming and small puzzles mixed up the gameplay a little bit.

Nice video dallow. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this game. God of War clone is fine by me as well.

[quote name='whoknows']I do.

[/QUOTE]
Even if that were true, GoW has an amazing sense of atmosphere. That alone makes the game great.

I'd rather have the game be as unique as possible with as little button mashing gameplay as possible (except when executing some combos, that's ok).

For example: one button blocks, as they attack while you block hit another button to grab, then throw or execute a move with another button, or spin the the right analog stick to start spinning the enemy and click it to throw them.

I like games to have complicated maneuvers and as much variety in actions as possible. It makes everything all the more exciting and experimenting becomes fun.

Games that I liked similar to this are the DMC series and MGS3 w/ CQC (especially the fight against The Boss).

Another view on it would be with fighting games like KOF and Virtua Fighter. Button mashing won't get you too far in those games and you have to time and counter moves. Combat gameplay like this in certain parts of Heavenly Sword would be pretty awesome, especially against bosses, if implemented well.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']
I like games to have complicated maneuvers and as much variety in actions as possible. It makes everything all the more exciting and experimenting becomes fun.[/quote]

You'll have that. There are three weapons/stances/modes/whatever and you will be able to change between them on the fly.

So you might come in with the quick attack, pop over to mid somewhere and pop the enemy in the air, then hit them with some more quick slashes then suddenly smash them down with heavy.

[quote name='NamPaehc']You'll have that. There are three weapons/stances/modes/whatever and you will be able to change between them on the fly.

So you might come in with the quick attack, pop over to mid somewhere and pop the enemy in the air, then hit them with some more quick slashes then suddenly smash them down with heavy.[/quote]

Woo Hoo! That's what I'm talking about :D

I'm hoping it's a little more polished than GoW. the action in that game just plain sucks to me.

that said, this will probably be pretty mashy, unless they've put the effort into judging frames of enemy attacks vs. player attacks, developing good AI, and making sure it's not artificially difficult and "artificially deep" like GoW (by artificially deep, I mean they have a huge move list that looks cool and many of the moves are very flashy, but most of it's impractical and you're relegated to X,X,X or X,X,Triangle for most of the game.) my hopes aren't up, but it'll still be good for a play through.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm hoping it's a little more polished than GoW. the action in that game just plain sucks to me.

that said, this will probably be pretty mashy, unless they've put the effort into judging frames of enemy attacks vs. player attacks, developing good AI, and making sure it's not artificially difficult and "artificially deep" like GoW (by artificially deep, I mean they have a huge move list that looks cool and many of the moves are very flashy, but most of it's impractical and you're relegated to X,X,X or X,X,Triangle for most of the game.) my hopes aren't up, but it'll still be good for a play through.[/quote]

I mean, all games of this type you play are going to have combonations like that. GoW... Ninja Gaiden... Spider-Man... DMC... At least this time they are attempting to throw in a few extras options in the case of the different stances. Throw in interactive objects (something GoW serveraly lacks)/enviroments.

I think there are so many levels being built into this game that it is a bit sad that the combat seems to be the main thing everyone is focusing on and compairing but if that doesn't work well nothing else will either.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I mean, all games of this type you play are going to have combonations like that. GoW... Ninja Gaiden... Spider-Man... DMC... At least this time they are attempting to throw in a few extras options in the case of the different stances. Throw in interactive objects (something GoW serveraly lacks)/enviroments.

I think there are so many levels being built into this game that it is a bit sad that the combat seems to be the main thing everyone is focusing on and compairing but if that doesn't work well nothing else will either.[/quote]

Interactive enviroment ftw. Throw an enemy against the wall and watch a boulder fall on top :D

I'm focusing on combat because I have faith that they will do an awesome job on the enviroment, landscape, layout, etc..
Usually games like that tend to oversee some other main aspects of gameplay, e.g. Combat

Only thing I'm curious about is the story/plot.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Only thing I'm curious about is the story/plot.[/quote]
Story:

Heavenly Sword is a tale of revenge, courage and self-discovery. For as long as the clan can remember, the prophecies have told of a son, born of their leader, who will lead them to their rightful place in heaven. So when the leader of the clan is born a daughter, Nariko, it seems as though the prophecy shall pass, unfulfilled.

Or so they all believe...

After her father is murdered by a bloodthirsty rival, Nariko sees one last chance to change her fate and avenge her father's death. To accomplish this mission she must wield the Heavenly Sword, a weapon so powerful that every blow she strikes brings her closer to death. As she fights, Nariko will not only come to understand that revenge is a hollow endeavor, but also discover her own worth and sense of place in the world. Only then will she be able to take command of the sword, becoming its master rather than its slave, transforming her lonely, cursed life, and fulfilling her destiny.

There has been a lot of media updates lately, I think I'll sprinkle a little here and there through my posts from here. Check out this presentation video. Nice rocket action in it. :)

Sounds pretty cool :D

It'd be interesting to see the effects of the sword in realtime. What comes to mind is Lost Planet where your "life" is continually decreasing.

I wonder if something similar will play a role in this game :eek:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Sounds pretty cool :D

It'd be interesting to see the effects of the sword in realtime. What comes to mind is Lost Planet where your "life" is continually decreasing.

I wonder if something similar will play a role in this game :eek:[/QUOTE]
To accomplish this mission she must wield the Heavenly Sword, a weapon so powerful that every blow she strikes brings her closer to death

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Sounds pretty cool :D

I wonder if something similar will play a role in this game :eek:[/quote]

I don't know how it will work now, but they did have a bit like that planned. They were pondering making the game last 24 hours real time (the time she has before the sword over takes and kills here) and the deaths of enemies helping to add on some time, but I think that got scrapped.

The end of the video I posted above (Which might be a leak so watch it as soon as you can) it shows her using quick attacks (white) and then in the middle the guy starts using another form (orange) which I think is medium.

French Preview, filled with brand new images.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I mean, all games of this type you play are going to have combonations like that. GoW... Ninja Gaiden... Spider-Man... DMC... At least this time they are attempting to throw in a few extras options in the case of the different stances. Throw in interactive objects (something GoW serveraly lacks)/enviroments.

I think there are so many levels being built into this game that it is a bit sad that the combat seems to be the main thing everyone is focusing on and compairing but if that doesn't work well nothing else will either.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind that there are long combos but in Ninja Gaiden and to a lesser extent DMC, they serve various purposes and I use most of them. GoW has a ton of combos and most of them are useless because the enemies just absorb hits and hit you in the middle of them. It's just fluff to make people think they're getting a deep game with a good combat system.

The opposite is also bad and Dynasty Warriors is a good example-- there are lots of combos but it doesn't matter what you use because the enemies die easily regardless.

after reading a few posts up about the story and about her having to kill people to slow down her death, it reminds me a bit of Shinobi on ps2, where Hotsuma needed to slice and dice to keep his sword the Akujiki from taking his soul or something like that

so right now this sounds kind of like GoW meets Shinobi to me lol

[quote name='imascrub']after reading a few posts up about the story and about her having to kill people to slow down her death, it reminds me a bit of Shinobi on ps2, where Hotsuma needed to slice and dice to keep his sword the Akujiki from taking his soul or something like that

so right now this sounds kind of like GoW meets Shinobi to me lol[/QUOTE]
I hope the game plays more like Shinobi than GoW honestly.

Shinobi was an awesome, awesome action game. Button mash in that game and you're fucked.

Heavenly Sword does seem to be on the right track with combat though, I'm really excited to play it!

[quote name='whoknows']I hope the game plays more like Shinobi than GoW honestly.

Shinobi was an awesome, awesome action game. Button mash in that game and you're fucked.

Heavenly Sword does seem to be on the right track with combat though, I'm really excited to play it![/quote]

Hellz yea, especially since a lot is riding on that game to begin with :p

[quote name='NamPaehc']The "Death Clock" mechanic or whatever was removed.

*bonus :p *Interveiw with Andy Serkis and Tameen Antoniades. It is in french, so you'll need to translate.[/quote]

hm so this is now a straight up slice and dice game now with GoW-ish combat mechanics? This is back to a GoW meets Dynasty Warriors to me again lol. They say there's no platforming involved, so it sounds pretty much like that. I'll reserve my judgement about this game till the demo comes out lol

[quote name='imascrub']hm so this is now a straight up slice and dice game now with GoW-ish combat mechanics? This is back to a GoW meets Dynasty Warriors to me again lol. They say there's no platforming involved, so it sounds pretty much like that. I'll reserve my judgement about this game till the demo comes out lol[/quote]

That is a bit simplistic. But the idea for a "24 hour REALTIME death clock" was scraped at least. Guess I should clear that up.

Anyway, here is a Dev blog post.

They are not going to publish a special edition (not starting off at least...) which I think is a good idea. They are going to pump the disc with as much content as possible right off the bat. Also mentions some other stuff like how long the game might be 12-15 hours.

hmm it's kinda weird about the after touch stuff with the arrow and the cannon...it's almost like you don't really have to aim at all lol. Looked like that arrows can change in any direction. Not sure about the cannonball but it looked like it arched upwards a little bit near the end shooting at the catapult

[quote name='DJmizuhara']Hey guys, check out this new footage from Heavenly Sword...this 21 minute documentary was taken from Gamer.tv in the UK. This game looks awesome...you will say "wow".

http://stage6.divx.com/user/y2kev/video/1394282/Heavenly-Sword---Gamer-tv[/QUOTE]
Wow, this went from a game of interest to an almost guaranteed purchase for me. Everyone should check this video out.

Although, the parts with Nariko's sister looked like ass, I really hope they limit her appearances and tone down the aftertouch.

I kinda like the sister, she's cute and batshit insane.

Not sure about the whole shooter aspect, I mean the main character using a giant cannon is one thing, but suddenly turning a beat em up into a shooter.

I do like the aftertouch thing though.

[quote name='Zoglog']new 30 min video up

http://stage6.divx.com/user/y2kev/video/1394282/Heavenly-Sword---Gamer-tv[/quote]

This should please the combat fans:

"My tip, to really conquer this game is really learn the combo system"... Need to change to the right stance to block effectively... Dozens of timed counters... Enemies with different fighting styles themselves (some like to block a lot or use heavy attacks)... "This game is more then just a button masher... You can't just wade in." "Right stance, in the right situation."

The automatic crouch when you approach cover is cool. Also the fact that the arrow catches on fire as you shoot through a flame and then you can use it to spark the explosives is nice.

[quote name='dallow']Sounds like Ninja Gaiden style.

Glad to hear that.[/QUOTE]

whoa whoa whoa...lets wait and see until we start mentioning Heavenly Sword and Ninja Gaiden in the same sentence :D

alot of balls, good to see some open environments. Alot of tootin in that video and it all looks fantastic and seems to run at a smooth framerate. But yeah we'll see when it's out.

bread's done
Back