OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yesterday's stuff:

PS2 Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness (missing manual)
PS2 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (GH, complete)
PS2 Hot Shots Golf 3 (GH, complete), all for $5

DVD Tommy Boy
DVD Black Sheep, both for $5

DVD Pi
DVD Joy Ride, both for $6

DVD Shaun of the Dead, $3
DVD Ocean's Twelve, $3

SNES Super Game Boy (w/box & sleeve, no manual), $1

GB Game Boy Camera, $1

today's stuff:

XB360 Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (complete)
XB360 Dead Rising (complete)
XB360 Saints Row (complete), all for $30

2-day total: $54

i also got a bunch of great paperbacks (Wuthering Heights, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Tuesdays with Morrie), as well as some rubber stamps for my wife and an awesome analog keyboard. it was an excellent couple of days for me, and i feel like i didn't spend too much money at all for what i got.

[quote name='sp00ge']How much for one of those Super Mario World's?[/quote]

2 of the 3 are actually gone. I gave one to my best friend (along with some of the other dups and an NES system after putting in a new pin), and the other I sold already. Sorry!

[quote name='nyxchyld']2 of the 3 are actually gone. I gave one to my best friend (along with some of the other dups and an NES system after putting in a new pin), and the other I sold already. Sorry![/quote]

Hey, do you know a cheap place to get those replacement pin connectors? Spending $10 and up each on eBay, etc isn't exactly cheap (when you've got a few of them sitting around, at least).

[quote name='FaceDown']Nice Famicom find. I especially like the SMB3 and the Dr. Mario. If you;re ever looking to trade, lemme know![/quote]

I'm actually having a hard time trying to get the Honey Bee to work. Does anyone know how to make it work? I have tried it in my top-loader and front-loader with no success...

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Hey, do you know a cheap place to get those replacement pin connectors? Spending $10 and up each on eBay, etc isn't exactly cheap (when you've got a few of them sitting around, at least).[/QUOTE]

I usually look for deals on ebay, and buy a few at a time, saving on shipping. Or look for bulk orders of 5 or 10. That cuts the price down to about $5 - $6 a piece including the shipping cost.

There is also this place that is close to me that sells them, and of course, the more you buy, the less they are. Not sure how much it would be with shipping though.
http://www.estarland.com/NintendoNES.cat.HW.product.16956.html

[quote name='Mirpkered']I'm actually having a hard time trying to get the Honey Bee to work. Does anyone know how to make it work? I have tried it in my top-loader and front-loader with no success...[/quote]

mine just... works. there isn't any trick to it. i just plug in a Fami cart, and plug the whole affair into my NES and away she goes.

My yardsale find this weekend. $20 for all of it and in really good condition
Meh:
2Xtreme
Medievil

Awesome:
Bushido Blade (Complete but slight crack on the front of CD jewel case)
Final Fantasy VII (Non-GH, Complete) Probably the huge find in this lot of games. Women I bought it from bought FF7 when it came out but it was too hard for her so she never finished Disc 1. Disc 2 and 3 have never been played at all. Instruction booklet looked like new.
She threw in a barely used FF7 guide too if I would buy the whole lot for $20. Let's say, I didn't need much convincing after that.

[quote name='ragtop70']I'd love to find some sucker to buy my N64 and PS1 games for $5 each.[/quote]
i think that's going to depend entirely on what games you're offering for 5 bucks. if they're as good as some that have been posted here, you'll be rid of them in no time. if they're crap, well... i think you know.

[quote name='nyxchyld']I usually look for deals on ebay, and buy a few at a time, saving on shipping. Or look for bulk orders of 5 or 10. That cuts the price down to about $5 - $6 a piece including the shipping cost.

There is also this place that is close to me that sells them, and of course, the more you buy, the less they are. Not sure how much it would be with shipping though.
http://www.estarland.com/NintendoNES.cat.HW.product.16956.html[/quote]
Thanks! I'm cheap enough though that I was hoping to find where THEY order from, since I've got 6 NESes sitting home (one mine, one that I gave to my family, and four that I've just accumulated) and will probably be snagging two more this week (they didn't sell at someones garage sale, so they're letting two NES's, their Genesis, and a bunch of complete (mainly sports, but hey) NES games for $20-25).

They're the ones I grabbed 15 complete SNES and NES games from for $30 a week or two ago.

Oh, uh, and if anyone wants to buy or trade for a NES, lemme know. >.>

Last weekend found a RedOctane foam dance pad for PS2 originally $99.00. Talked the lady down to like $37. What a find for a good pad.

[quote name='primetime']Last weekend found a RedOctane foam dance pad for PS2 originally $99.00. Talked the lady down to like $37. What a find for a good pad.[/quote]
i bought a couple of these from the swap meet a couple years back for 10 dollars, for the pair: they're the grey on black model, that come in a big box. i was stoked. we use them occasionally, but they're kinda glitchy -- those jigsaw-patterned pads that zip inside make it screwy, at least on ours. still, they're very well-made and seem like they'll last a long time. it's just a shame that our cheap-o pad seems to work better.

[quote name='allyourblood']i bought a couple of these from the swap meet a couple years back for 10 dollars, for the pair: they're the grey on black model, that come in a big box. i was stoked. we use them occasionally, but they're kinda glitchy -- those jigsaw-patterned pads that zip inside make it screwy, at least on ours. still, they're very well-made and seem like they'll last a long time. it's just a shame that our cheap-o pad seems to work better.[/quote]

Some find that they respond better w/o the foam inserts. These pads, while expensive, do still wear out after use. Your pads might've been used quite a bit, especially considering that price. My pad is a considerable upgrade from my old, worn Madcatz soft pad- plus it was only used twice. So, of course, I was very happy.

No gaming stuff today, went to 11 garage sales. Did get several valuable cards in in hard, sealed cases: a 99 skybox Vince Carter, a 96-97 Fleer Rookie Kobe Bryant, a Fleer Premier re-print (still valuable) Michael Jordan Rookie, and Topps Mystery Finest Refractor, black border Shaquille O'Neal. All of them sealed and in mint shape. And all for $17.

I was thinking about keeping them, but if anyone is interested in trading, let me know.

ended up getting some decent stuf but didn't have much time to check them out.

This was from the first yard sale that had anything decent today. I ended up getting to the sale with only about 10 minutes to look around since it was big. I found the following:

Huge tub with A/V cables with 4 N64 games in it and 2 PS1 controllers
Lunati Moon Eyes sign
3 Lega Baseplates
Estes Complete Model Rocket
Johnny Quest VHS

I ended up asking how much this was and the lady there told me thatthe people having the sale weren't even there yet. Just as I was about to leave they showed up in 2 seconds told me that they would take $10 for all of it. Upon closer inspeciton of getting home, the games were:

Mario Party
South Park
Top Gear Overdrive
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

Still not a bad setup for $10 on all of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/494269465/

I responded to an ad on the local forums for a game boy micro and 4 games. This set was being advertised for $20. So I call and inquire if it is still available. He said yes and told me how to get to his house. Well I getthere and instead of 4 games he said he mis-listed and only has 3 so I ask if he would take $15. He said yes surprisingly and I ended up with:

Boxed Game Boy Micro
Boxed Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Boxed Sims 2: Pets
Boxed Barnyard

Not a bad deal at all...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/494269533/

Well, after reading all this stuff, I'm starting to get more into yard saling. I went the past two weekends and got some stuff. I hate talking to people... which is kinda hindering my haggling abilities. But here are some of my finds.

This first one isn't from a yard sale, per se, but more like an auction. In fact, it was from an auction. I went to this auction and scoped out everything that was there, and there were only two things I was interested in. This basket of NES stuff and a box of CDs. Since my parents were already there, I showed them what I wanted and gave them my bidsl When they got home, I found I won the NES stuff, but lost the CDs (which went for about twice what I was willing to pay).

Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Gyromite, NARC, NFL, Paperboy, Super Mario Bros. 2, and Karate Champ (they all came in sleeves, but I took them off for easier looking)
ROB the Robot (I think I have all the parts, haven't tested it yet)
Random manuals (most of the game's ones are there)
Zapper
...thingie need to put NES to TV (I suck at tech terms)
CD Player (it works)
2 NES controller things that make the d-pad like an analog stick or something
Cost ... $2

Two weekends ago, I went to a few yard sales. I think somewhere around 10-15 (there was a community one). I picked up some other odds'n'ends, but the video game related stuff is below.

Dreamcast w/hookups
2 controllers
1 memory thing
CD cleaning kit
Web browser
Vigilante 8 2nd something, GTA2, Crazy Taxi, NFL2k, Tony Hawk, Flag to Flag, Ready 2 Rumble and NBA2k (all in cases with manual, except Crazy Taxi is missing the front part of the case)
Cost ... $12 ... Down From ... $15

And last weekend was almost a bust. I went to about 10 yard sales locally and didn't find anything at all. Oh... well, I got Shivers for PC for 75 cents (didn't talk it down because I graduated with the girl selling it). Later that day I went to my grandmother's and on my way home, I stopped at some more yard sales. I saw a box that had all of this stuff.

PSone system with hookups and a controller
Agent Under Fire, Bad Boys, Shadow Man 2nd something, ESPN NFL2k5, Max Payne, Hitman 2, MGS2 (all complete)
Shootout '97, Madden 2003, Spyro: something, Scooby Doo: Cyber Chase, NHL 99, Syphon Filter 2, Road Rash, Spongebob: Super Sponge, Rainbow Six (all complete except Rainbow Six's manual)
Cost ... $25
Note: I probably could have got it for less, but this was my limit I set for myself and it was a kid selling it. I figured he needed the money more than I do. I wish I would have had more money when I was a kid. :p

Well, those are my previous scores. I still have some work to do, like actually ask if they have video game related stuff and try to haggle a little better. Also, it wouldn't hurt to use my camera a little better. I'm going again in the morning, and I'll let you know what I find... if anything.

EDIT:I love how I'm a veteran and this is my first post. I guess that's the benefit of joining this site 3-4 years ago.

I've finally decided to go 'saling. Hopefully tomorrow is a good day, but I won't get my hopes up, as I'm only really going to look for baby stuff, since my wife wants to try to get as much of the stuff early (as in about 5 months early) so we don't have to rush around near the end of her pregnancy.

I'd be willing to be I don't see a single gaming related item that is worthwhile tomorrow, but I'll definitely be on the lookout.

I've got my route mapped out for tomorrow morning, two multi-family yard sales, a few "moving" sales, and two "community" yard sales with lots of stuff. Hopefully I'll score some good deals.

Nothing huge,

Pokemon Pinball $1
Donkey Konga Bongos $4

All in great shape. I only managed to shave a dollar off but I wanted this stuff really bad.

Not a bad saturday. I picked up:
Nascar: Dirt to Daytona (PS2) $3
Triple H wrestling figure $0.50
Goldberg wrestling figure $0.50
Pokemon: Gold Version (GBC) $0.25
Pokemon: Silver Version (GBC) $0.25
DBZ: Legacy of Goku (GBA) $0.25

No real storeis although CIF saved me $2 on the PS2 game and wrestling figures. Always be sure to flash that cash at them.

NO games this week but I got an air hockey table for $20! Im pretty happy and am clearing so much to make room for it. Also got a few cd's. Only went to 5 sales though so Im happy.

Only made one big score today, a huge box of Genesis and N64 games along with a Genesis system (with all hookups), 3 controllers (one Sega controller and two third party ones) and a couple of Game Genies, all in pretty good condition. Games only, no manuals, and a few of them have some minor scratches in the labels.. I'll put a list of all of the games in spoiler tags so as to not unnecessarily lengthen the page. Anybody know a good site to check on rarity and possible reselling potential?

Cost: $60

Genesis games (36)
Aladdin
Awesome Possum
Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck
Cool Spot
Desert Strike
Dinosaur's Tale
Ecco: Tides of Time
Fantasia
George Foreman's KO Boxing
Ghouls N Ghosts
Golden Axe
Home Alone 2
Insector X
Jrassic Park Rampage Edition
Krusty's Super Fun House
Lion King
Menacer 6
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Ms. Pac-Man
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Phantasy Star II
Shaq-Fu (LOL)
Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare
Sonic 1
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic 3
Sonic Spinball
Sonic vs. Knuckles
Streets of Rage
Street Fighter II' Special Champ.
Super Street Fighter II
Sword of Sodan
T2: Judgement Day
Zombies ate my Neighbors

Nintendo 64 games (13)
Banjo-Kazooie
Blast Corps
Goldeneye
Legend of Zelda OOT (gold cartridge!)
Mace: The Dark Age
Mario Kart 64
Micro Machines 64
NFL Blitz
Super Mario 64
Turok 2
Virtual Pool 64
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

Asking around for games, it seems like there was a large community yard sale in Ashburn (northern Virginia) that got cleaned out pretty early, but was shortly followed by more people asking for video games. Somebody got an Xbox and 5 games for $50, and one of the sellers asked me why he's had about 7 questions about video games. I told him that I was a collector and this was the only way to get cheap games.

So, hi to all the Ashburn CAGers who got there before me :bomb:

Amongst many other things, the big haul:

2x PS2 consoles i was told were "broken"
2x NES consoles
1x PS1 console
1x GameBoy
handful of Sega cartridges
CIF'ed $10 for it all!

And much, much more, coming tonight.

Better week than last. Hit around 30 sales, got a few things.

Jurassic Park GB
Paid: $0.50

Not too much at this sale, there was a sweet looking accordian tho lol. I asked if she had any games, she said she had sold them all a few years ago but remembered seeing 1 gameboy game, I CIFed 25 cents, she wanted a buck, we settled on 50 cents haha.

Dreamcast no hookups, 2 controllers, 1 generic memory unit, House of the Dead 2 (complete), Shenmue (Missing manual), NBA 2K (complete), demo disc, web broswer disc
Paid $5
Gamegear (missing battery covers), Outrun
N64 (all hookups + expansion), Donkey Kong 64 (complete), Gauntlet Legends (complete), Turok 2 (complete), Forsaken 64, Lamborghini, WCW vs NWO, 3 controllers
Genesis Model 2 (no av, no controllers, only power adaptor), Sonic Spinball, Sonic and Knuckles
Sony Minidisc NETMD recorder/player
Paid $13

Then I went to a street sale, really big one at that, saw some DS games at one house but nothing I wanted. Then I saw a dreamcast sitting on a table with shenmue + HoTD2 and 2 controllers, so I asked the guy running the sale how much, he said 10, I countered 5 cause of no AV cables, he took it. As he went to get a bag for my stuff I turned around and saw a box with an N64 sitting inside. Saw that a few of the games had boxes, plus there was a gamegear, a minidisc player, a genesis model 2 with 2 games and power adaptor. He said I could take the lot for 30 bucks, I said I didn't need everything but I'd give him 10, we settled on 13.

2 x Genesis 3 button controllers, AC adaptor, RF adaptor
Paid $0.50

Had this sale marked on my map, this guy had a lot of stuff mostly in boxes. The guy running the sale said I should dig through the boxes to find stuff, I looked through the stuff at the top of the boxes, mostly junk. Saw a box on a table with 2 genesis controllers and the hookups but no system. I asked if they had the system or any other VG stuff, they said no, so I CIFed 50 cents for the lot and got it.

Prima Dark Cloud 2 Strategy Guide
Paid $0.25

This guy had a cool pair of stand up parlour pac man games, but he wanted 750 each :S pass.... He did have a strategy guide on top of the machines though, I asked if he had the game to go along but he said he didn't know where the guide came from. So I CIFed 25 cents, sold!

05t-wiimote.jpg
05t-Sega.jpg
05t-gb.jpg

05t-n64.jpg
05t-gbpoke.jpg
05t-hammer.jpg

This week's haul!

Not too much this weekend, here's what I came home with:

Super Mario 3, Knight Rider for NES, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for PS2, and two zappers. The guy also had lots of NES baseball games, but I decided to pass. I got Bases Loaded last weekend, do I really need Bases Loaded 2, 4, RBI Baseball, and MLB Baseball? I don't think so. Total: $10.

Talked Star Fox Assault to $3 from $6. The Wi-Fi card isn't really a game item, but I offered $5 and got it.

Also, earlier in the week I got the DS/Wii Wi-Fi connector for $10 at Goodwill. Could be good for when Puzzle League hits the DS, and I can't connect it to my big, scary WPA secured network.

Nothing much today on the videogame/self purchase front, but my wife and I did get an insane amount of baby stuff. I'll have to post my haul. Its not too cheap ass, but its not too insane either.

The pickins have been pretty good. I picked these goodies up last Saturday and today.

1001228gb2.jpg

Complete NES system a little dirty but cosmetically perfect with 6 games, notables - DD3 and yellow label Metroid
TOTAL - $3
I asked for games at this sale and the guy pointed to the bin with the NES saying $5 and it's yours. I looked it over and CIF'd $3.

1001229xt9.jpg

Complete GC w/ 2 contollers, memory card and MP5
TOTAL - $5
Saw this laying on a table and asked 'how much" The lady came back with oh it's my sons but he's not here right now he'll be back in a few minutes" So I say how much do you think he wants? and she replies oh I do'nt know he never ever plays it, probably $5 or $10. I immediately CIF $5 and the lady did'nt expect it, after about 10 seconds of silence with her eyes on the $5 she took it and I immediately boogied on out of there.

1001240rq9.jpg
1001234zr7.jpg

Jungle Green N64 (no jumper pack) controller, memory card, and duke nukem 64. PS2 - Shadow Hearts 3, Star Ocean.
TOTAL - $7
This sale had a bunch of crappy games, the kid told me $7 each 2/$10 for the PS2 games and $2 each for the N64 games. i asked how much for the system and he comes back with $2 because there's no jumper pack. So I OK him and pick out the Duke and the 2 PS2 games and on a long shot I offer $7 (not CIF). This sale was slow and the kid was eagerly anticipating my purchase so I knew he was kinda desperate. He took the $7

1001232kl3.jpg

Super Mario Kart and frogger adventure for GBA.
TOTAL - $4
A kid of maybe 12 had these and a couple of other games in disasterous condition. I asked him how much and he came back with $5 each. I said I was gonna pass and then he came back with "OK how about $2 each" I snagged em.

1001231kg9.jpg

Contra Hard Corps, Gaiares, Smash TV (Mint complete), genesis controller and RF
TOTAL - $2
I asked for games at this sale and the guy said he might have some genesis games. He brought out a box with about 15 games(most crappy) and 2 N64 controllers. I saw the gaiares cart and contra cart and CIF him $5 which he shot down saying he knows the controllers go for a lot on ebay. so i then ask how much for the games and he comes back with $1 each. I rounded up these goods and CIF him $2 which he took.

1001235lz5.jpg

U-force complete in box unit is like new but the box is a little ratty
TOTAL - $5
This was a flea market find. The guy wanted $10 which I shot down and and was about to leave when he asked "How much you want to pay" after looking it over I offered $5 which he took.

1001243wl3.jpg

NES Action set totally complete in very nice box with 16 cart only games - notables - zeldas, SMB 1,2,3 , Contra, Adventure Island
TOTAL- $10
I asked for games at this sale and the guy said he had none. Then the wife said wait a minute - went in the house and came out with this. She wanted $20 but with some pretty nifty haggleing I got her down to $10.

1001237ib3.jpg

Atari jaguar hookups and controller + 3 games AVP, Bubsy and Iron Soldier
TOTAL - $2
I asked how much and the lady came back with $2 and said she was'nt sure if it worked. I scoffed it up and it does work. Very happy with this cause it's my first jaguar

1001239hi0.jpg

Super multitap and super matrio kart
TOTAL -$1
This lady had this stuff on a dollar table with some other crappy SNES games that I have multiple copies of. I took these and CIF'd $1

1001238to2.jpg

Super Mario All-stars x2, 3 SNES power supplies 2 NES RF, 1 SNES AV
TOTAL -$7
Flea market find. I dug these out of box and haggled my way down from $15 asking price. I've dealt with this guy before and he always shoots high. $7 was worth it alone for the power supplies, caus i know I have at least 3 or 4 SNES's without hookups.

1001241zx4.jpg

The Rock - new sealed PS1 controller
TOTAL - .50
Marked $1 but offered .50

Okay, guys, here goes:

First sale. Advertised as having video games, I arrived aright after they stared, the wife had no idea about any games and the husband was nowhere to be found. I saw a huge Togepi plush and CIF'ed $1, we settled on $1.50. Then I poked around, there was a lot of random stuff, and I picked up a Jurassic Park t-shirt, ($2) a sweet JP velociraptor tie ($1), a Squirtle Christmas Ornament ($0.75), and a still-in-box set of Nightmare Before Christmas wine glasses ($4). Offered $5, she accepted. Then I saw a porcelain Mulan tea set complete with box and a foot-high Batman Beyond statue, also complete in box, marked $6 and $8, respectively. I figured my girlfriend would want either or both of those, and CIF'ed $10. She countered with $12, I picked up a big Eyore plush and said $12 if she throws him in. She accepted.

Total find:
Togepi
Eyore
Squirtle Ornament
Batman Beyond Statue
Mulan Tea Set
Lost World t-shirt
JP Raptor Hatchling tie
NBX Glasses
TOTAL: $18.50

I returned to that sale (much) later, the husband was there, and the games were already sold. =(

The next successful sale was a half hour drive, but it was advertised as 10 families...somewhat falsely. There were two or three ladies outside of one house; I asked the host about video game stuff, she went inside, came back with a box containing an NES, PS1, and a bunch of assorted gaming odds and ends. She also mentioned having two broken PS2's, and I told her to bring them out. After inquiring the price on the PSOne and having her say "I don't know, a few bucks?" and some other garage sale patrons pushing past me to dig through my box, I CIF'ed her $10 for the mystery box and two broken PS2's. There was a game gear inside that she didn't know if her kid still wanted, I told her to keep it ('cause fuck Game Gear.) Accepted.

2x PS2 consoles i was told were "broken"
2x NES consoles
1x PS1 console
1x GameBoy
PSX Multitap CIB
PSX Controller Extension Cable
PSX Power Cable
PS2 Power Cable
PS2 A/V Cable
NES Controller
NES RFU Switch x3
N64 RFU adapter
GBA Madcatz Screen Magnifier
N64 Tremor Pak Plus x3
N64 AV cables x2
PSX MLB 2000 (complete, cracked case)
Performance Universal Car Adapter (GameBoy/Gear?)
Performance Universal AC Adapter (GameBoy/Gear?)
Performace AC Adapter (GameGear?) x2
Maze Craze (Atari)
Genesis Cart only:
King of Monsters
NHL 95
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 3 missing label
Acclaim cart missing label
TOTAL: $10

On to the next one! Passed a sign that wasn't on my map, pulled off and stopped. Saw a PSX on the ground, no controller, then saw a SNES and some carts on the table. There was a bin behind it with NES carts that hadn't been put out. Both systems were marked $5, a few SNES carts at $0.75, and Mario Paint CIB for $3. The father was there, smiling as he complained that it was his daughter's stuff, and the famil had left him behind while going out to breakfast (it was still about 9:45). I said I'd buy both consoles if he threw in the games, he countered with $15, I got him down to $12. There was a PS2 game sitting there that he threw in, too. I also picked up the complete, original All Dogs Go To Heaven CD Sountrack for $1.

Super NES
Super NES controller
Super NES PSU
SNES RFU
Madden 95
Mario Paint (Box, directions, mouse, pad, cart, dust cover)
Super R-Type (w/book)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (w/book)
Vegas Stakes (w/Book)
-
NES:
10 Yard Fight
Baseball
Ghosts n Goblins
Gunsmoke
Ikari Warriors
Karate CHamp
MagMax
Pinball
Rad Racer
Section Z
The Legend of Zelda
SMB/Duck Hunt/Track Meet
Volleyball
-
PSX Unit
Sony PSX RFU
3D2 PSX RFU
PSX Magazine Demo Disc 25
Muppets Party Cruise (PS2)

TOTAL: $13

That was really it video-game wise for the day. A few people I visited either sold them or had something in the attic that I left my number about.

So, on my way out to visit a friend in the next county over, I plotted a course that would take me by a few CraigsListers who had items of interest.

The first was a Sega CD-X posting that originall asked $190. I got them to drop to $90 over e-mail, when I met them, they wouldn't budge. I was happy with my purchase, though:

Sega CD-X
Power adapter
RFU connector
Stereo connector
S-Video cable (!)
Wireless Sega-Brand Controller x2
Carrying Case
Naki Eliminator Cleaning Kit
Original Sega CD-X manual

SegaCD Games with Case & Instructions
Brutal: Paws of Fur
Chuck Rock II: son of Chuck
Jeapardy!
Sega Classics (5 Genesis Games) & Ecco the Dolphin (two discs, 6 games, share a cardboard/plastic mini-case)
Sonic CD (cardbord/plastic minicase)

Genesis Games with Case & instructions
Mortal Kombat II
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
TOTAL: $90

Everything was mint and perfect (aside from a couple of cracked game cases) and I was more than happy to pay the $90 he refused to budge from.

The next stop was a Sega Genesis listing that had been at $75 and had CD and 32x games listed with it. It turned out to have both the 32X and SegaCD with it, as well as about 25 Genesis games, 12 or so CD games, and half a dozen 32X games...all complete, plus a copy of Virtual Fighter 2 for Saturn complete. The woman selling it said she had an NES at her boyfriend's house, we went over there, and she (after not budging on the $75 asking price for the Genesis stuff), offered me it with the NES and 25 games for $100. I countered with $90, she accepted.

There is a huge list that will be coming soon. ;D

But if anyone needs a SNES, Genesis, a Model 2 Sega CD, a PSX, or a NES (or any games, since I'm probably ending up wtih some dupes, PM me with an offer (you pay first via PayPal for purchases, I'll send first if you have more than a dozen positive feedbacks in a trade, under 12 feedbacks, well, I doubt you would send first to me, so purchases only).

[quote name='toldawg128']snotknocker you lucky SOB, how do you find these deals?![/quote]

I'm in a densley populated area. I scout out sales via craigslist and newspapers. This year I've purchased several street maps of the local towns in my area. They sell them in the gas stations for $1. I usually plot a course and detour from it when I see yardsale postings on phone poles and such.

The real key is to get out early and not waste time, hit and run - hit and run and to always always ask for games. The Wiki also has great tips.

Being friendly and being able to bullshit when needed are also vital factors.

The CIF method is your best friend. The classic example happened today when I bought the GC for $5, The lady just did'nt know what to do, she did'nt really have enough time to think about it and almost instinctively took the cash because it was right there in front of her.

The way I think is if someons says it's $10 they really want $5 and will probably take $3. I very seldom ever come across someone that will not drop their price. Reread mine and others stories from the threads and you'll start to see the pattern There is a certain degree of skill involved and the more you practice the better you get. Unless you live in the middle of Bumpkisville there's deals out there to be had and made. DO NOT GIVE UP!

Lacrosse is over which means nothing on the weekends which means next weekend is my first weekend of yard sailing ever. I'm pumped, I want $5 gamecubes!

Wish me luck ladies and gents! hopefully the weather is nice. I love reading success stories and the odds and ends people pick up.

Stuff for today:

n64 with 2 controllers, hookups, Super mario 64, Jeopardy, Tony Hawk 1 and Pokemon Stadium

Solar Striker, spider man 2 and Kid Icarus for the Game boy

Nintendo Secrets book

total: $12

I'll go ahead and post my non videogame pick ups, as the only video games I saw were in grocery bags (but they each like 10 NES or SNES games in them, and were complete; remember seeing SMB 2 and DKC3, but the SNES bag had $45 on it). Without further delay here's my haul (mostly baby stuff; wife is due in late October) (pictures soon):

$30 - Eddie Bauer stroller/car seat combo (apparently these go for around $200 new)
$30 - like new Carseat/carrier combo
$10 - Carseat/carrier combo
$15 - Pack and Play playpen
$30 - Oak baby changing table
$15ish - Baby clothes (got quite a bit)

Nothing too exciting for you guys, but the wife was thrilled. Hopefully next weekend proves to be a videogame weekend.

today's stuff:

DVD Rocky III (ws)
DVD Commando (ws)
DVD The Longest Yard (ws), all for $5

N64 Pokemon Snap ("Not for Resale") demo cartridge, $3

NES Games, $3
Kirby's Adventure
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Ninja Gaiden II
Dragon Warrior

DC Official Dreamcast Controller, $1

Kingdom Hearts II Strategy Guide (BradyGames)
Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi Strategy Guide (Prima)
Game Informer Magazine (x3)
Tips n' Tricks Magazine, all FREE

DVD Dark Angel Complete Season 1
DVD Dark Angel Complete Season 2, both for $10

Edirol MA-10D Digital Monitors, $10

today's total: $32

i like the stuff i got today. the 3 DVDs came from the first yard sale we hit this morning. i could go either way on Rocky III, but Commando is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine, and i'd never seen The Longest Yard. i held up all three and asked the lady selling how much she wanted. she said two dollars each. i asked if she'd take $5 for the bunch, and she said yes. easy.

i'm pretty sure the Pokemon Snap cart is a demo, as all of the other nintendo demo/kiosk games that i own all say "Not for Resale". i tried to offer the guy selling it 2 bucks, but he wouldn't budge.

the NES games came from a young couple who originally wanted 2 dollars each. i thought to myself, "do i really need more NES carts?" and decide that i didn't. i thanked them and started to leave but they came back with "a dollar each?" which i couldn't resist. i picked up everything but Mario/Duck Hunt and handed the girl 3 bucks. she picked up the last cart and handed it to me saying, "just take it anyway." i already have like 15 Mario/Duck Hunts, but... whatever. i don't argue with "free".

the two game guides and magazines all came from some lady who was actually packing away her stuff. i started to pick up the KHII guide to ask her a price when she said, "that's free. take all the books and magazines. i'm just going to throw them out." sweet! i thanked her and scooted along. the price was definitely right, there.

both Dark Angel box sets were sitting in a bin of junk electronics and some other, really cheap DVDs (1-dollar Wal Mart-style stuff). the guy there wanted $6 each, which i felt was already a fair price. i thought i'd try to whittle off a couple more bucks and offered $10, which he accepted. i've never actually seen this show, but it looks kinda cool and for that price, i'll check it out.

--- the following is long, and pretty much completely unrelated to video games, but it was my find of the day ---

my final, and absolute favorite score of the day, was the pair of Edirol monitor speakers. mind you, i already own a fantastic pair of Alesis monitors (for my music stuff), but it's always nice to have a second set to reference when mixing. these were sitting amidst a pile of electronic junk (other, old speakers, a DVD player, a TV) and they caught my eye. i asked the guy selling how much he wanted for the pair; he said $10. if these worked, that's a bloody steal! (they're 149, new), so of course, i'm assuming they're broken. however, being my cocky self, i decide i'll just fix them if that's the case. i try to offer the guy 8 bucks, which he declines, saying that he was asking 15 earlier in the day. whatever. i give him 10 bucks and head to my car.

i get home, plug them in, hook up one of my synths, power them on, and.... NOTHING. i get a red light and no sound. great. of course, i'm not gonna let that stop me. it's screwdriver time! i open them up, and unbelievably, i see the problem right away: inside the amp unit is an 8-pin ribbon cable, which, for one reason or another, is unplugged.
-- it was at this point that i surmised that these speakers have never been used. other than some light outer wear (maybe from being moved, or packed & unpacked), they look to be pristine. --
anyway, i plug the cable in, close it up and power them on once more -- green light, and sound! they now work 100%, and though the drivers are small, they're remarkably loud, clear, and uncolored. for only ten bucks, i have my second set of reference monitors! for those wondering, these also double as really good PC speakers and offer a digital connection (optical or coaxial), to interface with your computer.

UGH. Got out way too late (10:30) and went to more sales than ever... and NONE had videogames. I must have gnoe to 20 or 25, and the only games I saw were old crappy PC games and Star Wars Empire at War with 3 or 4 discs missing.

I did pick up some Non-VG stuff:

Space Jam Soundtrack
Offspring - Smash
$1.00

Lor of the Rings: Return of the King extended special edition (Complete)
$4.00

Donkey Kong Strikes Again! Activity Book
$0.25

CIFing never works for me. It's always like this:

Me: Would you take... *epically whips out cash* TWO DOLLARS?!?!??!
Guy: *Looks hesitantly at cash* weeeeell, I was thinking more like $6 or $7...
Me: ... Uh... nvm...

So anyway, is it better to ask what their price is or just make the first offer?

I want to thank everyone on this board for all of the tips, especially CIF and asking for games. I probably hit around 20 sales today and made out quite successfully. At just about every sale, except for the old folks sales, when I asked for video games the people having the sale would say "hold on I have some inside." I guess they just don't think about putting them out. Unfortunately, most of the games they had I did not have the system for (XBOX, PS2, SNES). I am hunting mostly for GC and DS games. On with the scores:

NES w/ Super Mario/Duck Hunt, Zelda 2, and zapper $3 CIF. Can't get Zelda to work and can get SM/DH to work about 50% of the time. Pin problems I'm sure.

DS: New Super Mario Brothers and Clubhouse Games $3 each.

3 shelf book shelf $3 CIF

Charcoal Lighter Cylinder $1

Volumes 2-13 Lemony Snickets Books $1 each

Brand New Haier Mini-Fridge $30 (tried $25 but would not budge).

Already looking forward to next weekend.

Today I got:

* 3 NES Games (Super Mario/Duck Hunt, Super Mario Brothers 2, Super Mario Brothers 3) for $.75 each
* N64 Game (Mario Golf) $1.50
* N64 System Complete with box $5.00
* Atari 2600 System w/ 2 joysticks $5.00
* DK Plush- mint $.50 (here's what he looks like: http://www.prizes1.com/donkeykong.jpg )

Not much happenin' today....but overall total of the day: $14.25...not to bad.

[quote name='ddrisgood137']
CIFing never works for me. It's always like this:

So anyway, is it better to ask what their price is or just make the first offer?[/quote]
the reason i always ask for a price first is that oftentimes, a seller actually expects less than i'm willing to pay. i've found items in the past and thought to myself, "i'll pay 5 bucks (or whatever) for that!", and when i ask how much they want, they say, "gimme a dollar.". that's why i like to ask first; you sorta "feel them out", and try to keep yourself from over-paying.

in all honesty, 'round these parts, the "cash in face" technique doesn't really work. my friend and i used to try it some years back and people were generally offended. when someone wants 10 dollars for something and i show them two singles, they're usually put-off by:

1. my lowball offer
-and-
2. the fact that i tried to wave my crummy $2 at them.

it must be a regional thing. of course, here in San Diego, there are a lot of hispanic folks who live in both the US and Mexico, or moved from Mexico, or are still very deeply rooted in Mexican culture. to a lot of these families, video games (and electronics in general) don't lose much of their value over time. it's not at all uncommon to hear people asking for 15-30 dollars for old, common games, like Super Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot. when you tell them that said games are 5-10 years old, they don't care -- all they know is that they paid $50+ for some of these titles, and they simply won't sell them at a large loss. it's both hilarious and frustrating at the same time. :roll:

[quote name='allyourblood']the reason i always ask for a price first is that oftentimes, a seller actually expects less than i'm willing to pay. i've found items in the past and thought to myself, "i'll pay 5 bucks (or whatever) for that!", and when i ask how much they want, they say, "gimme a dollar.". that's why i like to ask first; you sorta "feel them out", and try to keep yourself from over-paying.

in all honesty, 'round these parts, the "cash in face" technique doesn't really work. my friend and i used to try it some years back and people were generally offended. when someone wants 10 dollars for something and i show them two singles, they're usually put-off by:

1. my lowball offer
-and-
2. the fact that i tried to wave my crummy $2 at them.

it must be a regional thing. of course, here in San Diego, there are a lot of hispanic folks who live in both the US and Mexico, or moved from Mexico, or are still very deeply rooted in Mexican culture. to a lot of these families, video games (and electronics in general) don't lose much of their value over time. it's not at all uncommon to hear people asking for 15-30 dollars for old, common games, like Super Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot. when you tell them that said games are 5-10 years old, they don't care -- all they know is that they paid $50+ for some of these titles, and they simply won't sell them at a large loss. it's both hilarious and frustrating at the same time. :roll:[/QUOTE]

QFT QFT QFT QFT!

A variant on the CIF that has worked for me is to put the amount that I want to offer in my wallet and the rest of my money in my pocket. I then make it very apparent that I'm pulling all of my money out my wallet when I make the offer. This way the seller thinks that I'm offering all the money I have on me.

[quote name='ddrisgood137']CIFing never works for me. It's always like this:

So anyway, is it better to ask what their price is or just make the first offer?[/quote]

Pulling off a successful CIF transaction may have regional implications as stated by Allyourblood. However I would not let this disuade anyone from making the attempt.

IMO you must implement the technique without the fear of insulting the seller or being shot down. I have made several successful transactions after being rejected with an initial CIF offer. IMO the majority of sellers are trying to get over on you by asking a higher price than what they are willing to accept. True, I have insulted many sellers with lowball CIF offers, but honestly I do'nt care. Most of the time this happens I get a look of "What are you fucking crazy" or some kind of verbage from the seller questioning my mental stabilty. I can easily change the situation around by saying a couple of things like "You ca'nt blame a guy for trying, how bout we meet in the middle and I give you $xx. Most times I'll bullshit and say "sorry but I really want that and all I have on me is $xx. This can easily change the seller's impression of you from ' This cheapass insulting mother fucker' to "he's not trying to insult me, he just does'nt have enough cash on him". Sometimes this has led to the person selling me the item at my original offer, other times my lowball CIF offer is scoffed right up.

Some may argue that this is a deceptive practice, and I would have to partially agree with them. But the bottom line is the more of my hard earned cash that I can keep in my wallet the better, and in reality the seller is the one who has the final word.

[quote name='thack']A variant on the CIF that has worked for me is to put the amount that I want to offer in my wallet and the rest of my money in my pocket. I then make it very apparent that I'm pulling all of my money out my wallet when I make the offer. This way the seller thinks that I'm offering all the money I have on me.[/quote]
This approach is especially handy when you have a seller who is "on the fence" with your offer. S/he's considering it, but somewhat reluctant to take it. I don't know if they feel bad or if there's something psychological about taking "every last dollar" on you. We have used this approach a few times when necessary and it never fails.

Funnily (actually a year ago last week), at the end of a long yardsaling day, a seller brought out a box of NES stuff when we asked, and said he'd take $10. We literally only had $3 left, and Evilmax was showing the guy his empty wallet and pockets. The guy didn't want to bring it back inside, so he took our offer. Fortunately it was the end of the day - we really were out of cash!

[quote name='ddrisgood137']
I think this depends on what's in front of you and what kind of seller you are dealing with.

For example, if I see 2 N64 carts and nothing else, I immediately think 50 cents, and I'll go ahead and make the offer. I know if I ask how much for those 2 games, they're going to come back with at least $1 a game (and that's being optimistic). I make the offer, they either take it or we get into a little bargaining.

On the other hand, if someone brings out, say, 3 boxes of stuff, I will probably ask first. Again, it depends on what's in the boxes. We have our own prices in mind for most things, so we evaluate what's there (what games/systems, quantities, condition, completeness) and get a figure in our head, then ask. They may completely devalue what they have, and come to a price that's equal to or lower than what we thought. Or they are going to ask more than we're willing to pay (or even ask some higher-than-ebay price). Then the bargaining dance begins.

If only it were so easy to say one method is better than the other. But there are just too many factors at play that you have to feel out the situation and make a quick decision. One key thing that I think is beneficial is that you should not be afraid (for lack of a better word) of the seller, nor should you care what they think of you. Be confident, and counter their counter-offer. If you can sense that you aren't going to get it for the price you want, just say thank you and move on. It isn't worth your time: there could be a great deal waiting for you at the next sale up the street.

When I do CIF, I always have my money already in my hands with the item(s) that I am buying. When I find the item(s), and I'm examing them, I'm getting out my money from my pocket. Then I show the items and the money at the same time to the seller, and ask politely if they'll take $ for X. You don't want to give them any time to think basically. I know I don't want them to see me digging in my pockets for money either. "In and out" is our approach. The quicker we get to the next sale, the higher the chance we're going to find more stuff!

I went out for the first time this year. To a flea market. Not too much. And I can't believe how much people want for their shit there. One lady wanted $50 (wouldn't go lower) for a N64, 6 games which were all sports but 2, and 2 controllers. Seriously?

But here is what I got,

$8: SNES with 2 controllers, no AC. Cost (talked down from $20) plus he through in Tale Spin and SMB for NES.

$10: N64 w expansion, 2 controllers no AV. Again, spent a little too much here, but what the hell, I talked him down from $30!! This guy was crazy.

Total Spent: $18.

Week1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back