OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I didn't get much this weekend since I wasn't able to go out on Friday morning. I had a job interview. The job is only two days a week and at $8.50 an hour, I don't mind it interfering with my yard saling too much.

Friday afternoon's finds
$0.50 Pac-man Fevor
$1 Gundam battle game

Saturday's Finds
$0.05 7th Guest (there were 2 disk, is that the right number?)
$1 Bourne Supremacy soundtrack
$1 Transformers the movie vhs (got it sealed)
$1 CD storage box
$1 Ape Escape
$2 Saga Frontier 2 (all ready have this, but it's in better condition the other copy of mine)
$5 Nintendo with a few games (talked the kid down from $10. It plays, but it needs a little work.)

The xbox controller wasn't from a garage sale, but I felt like showing it. It looks like it's just a EA branded logitech controller.

Not many sales here this weekend but still got a couple items.

I wandered into this sale and noticed that these books were laying by themselves. I picked up these books and CIF'd $2 for them. He ended up taking it since he said he initially wanted $1 each.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/496367084/

I picked these gems up at the local pawn shop. I walked in and the owner, who now knows me as the game guy, tell me he just gota few games in. There were some stellar titles for N64 and SNES the were available such as Smash Bros and Mario Kart 64. However, I already had these. But his SNES games were on sale for 2 for $8. I ended up picking up:

Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Super Mario RPG

I offered him $10 for it all and he said fine. Very excited. I already had RPG and X3 but can turn those around for a nice profit. However, X2 will go in the SNES gaming collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/496366924/

[quote name='moiety']

If only it were so easy to say one method is better than the other. But there are just too many factors at play that you have to feel out the situation and make a quick decision. One key thing that I think is beneficial is that you should not be afraid (for lack of a better word) of the seller, nor should you care what they think of you. Be confident, and counter their counter-offer. If you can sense that you aren't going to get it for the price you want, just say thank you and move on. It isn't worth your time: there could be a great deal waiting for you at the next sale up the street.

"In and out" is our approach. The quicker we get to the next sale, the higher the chance we're going to find more stuff![/quote]

nicely put

I just rode my bike up and down my main street for about an hour and a half including stopping for pizza looking for yard sale signs. Saw one sign for a sale yesterday, also stopped at blockbuster for 15-20 and nothing of interest besides some $6.99 PSP games, but I don't have a PSP.

Next week I'm getting newspapers, checking craigslist, as well as driving up and down the main street.

Just got a call from some guy I left my number with yesterday. He said he found some stuff in his attic, (he told me yesterday he would look for it). I remembered the sale, all items were priced very cheaply and I had bought some CD's for .50 each. When I got there the wife said her husband was in the attic looking for a box of games that he knew he had somewhere. After about 10 minutes he came out with a box and a bag that yielded this.

1001244pi1.jpg
1001245ul2.jpg

A complete Colecovision system with expansion module, paperwork, 10 games w/instructions. The system is in the best condition of any CV system I've ever seen and works perfectly

A complete NES system w/1 controller also in amazing hardly used condition.
TOTAL- $5

When the guy came out I patted him on the shoulder and shook his hand, thanking him for calling me back. As I looked through the stuff I spotted the expansion module and knew I would be buying it cause I do'nt have one and I want one. I would of probably paid $10 - $15 if I had to. Anyway, the guy starts telling me he has a box of games but can not find them, he's chatting away as I'm looking at the stuff and paying him a half of mind. In a smooth calculated action, I CIF 5 singles and ask if he'll take $5 for everything, in the midst of his jabbering. He was caught off guard and said " er.... uh.... I was thinking $10... but ...... er ...... um ...... I'll take $5 and he snatched the skinnies from my hand. I thanked him and wished his wife a happy mothers day. As I was leaving he told me he would look again for the box of games and call me when he finds them.

1001246yf4.jpg

As I headed home I spotted a sale. I pulled up and saw a bunch of PC games all pretty bland except for this. I offered $2 not CIF and the lady took it without a second thought.

Just got back this afternoon and got:

UFC Sudden Impact (PS2)
Creatures (PS1)
Spider (PS1)
Mega Man X5 (PS1)
Atari Anniversary Edition Redux (PS1)

All for $15

[quote name='Link927']Just wondering, when do you usually get the paper? Friday? Saturday?[/quote]
Depends on your area and local newspapers, but I believe sales are printed in the Thursday and/or Friday edition. I'd check both and see how your local paper handles yardsale listings.

Ok, this weekend was pretty much a bust. On Saturday morning I went to about 10-15 sales, and this is all I came back with:

Whatzit? and Wizard's Quest ... $1 Down From ... $2
Rollerball, Batteries not Included, RoboCop, Carrie, Shanghai Knights, Galaxina ... $1
Kid Icarus ... $1
Total ... $3

The old lady that I got Kid Icarus had a few other NES games, PC games and Xbox games, but they were all overpriced (for me). The NES games were a buck a piece and she had Kid Icarus, Rolling Thunder, Shadowgate and Solar Jetman. I already had Solar Jetman, so I picked up the other three and offered two bucks (I can't remember if I had the money out), but she refused and said that they were already a low price. I just shrugged and said ok, then I'll just take this one and got Kid Icarus. That's 4 dollars off the Wii Virtual Console price. :p

One thing I noticed from reading other people's posts from this week, is that it sounds like it really does help if you ask if they have video game stuff. I guess I should grow a pair that works and ask (I hate asking people for stuff).

P.S. My shoes are pretty shiny!

[quote name='Vamlock']
One thing I noticed from reading other people's posts from this week, is that it sounds like it really does help if you ask if they have video game stuff. I guess I should grow a pair that works and ask (I hate asking people for stuff).

P.S. My shoes are pretty shiny![/quote]

That's if they have a form of contact to inquire. Of course, you could look up their number on the internet through their street address, but I don't know if they would take too kindly to that.

[quote name='guyinga']That's if they have a form of contact to inquire. Of course, you could look up their number on the internet through their street address, but I don't know if they would take too kindly to that.[/QUOTE]

I meant at the sale...

[quote name='nyprimus4']Do you guys see many tube TV's? I'm looking for something 15-20" for use strictly for old school consoles.[/quote]
At least one per weekend. I don't think you'll have much trouble with this one.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Do you guys see many tube TV's? I'm looking for something 15-20" for use strictly for old school consoles.[/quote]

You could checkout Goodwill.

[quote name='evilmax17']At least one per weekend. I don't think you'll have much trouble with this one.[/quote]

Unless of course said tv is about 13" and the seller has it priced at $50. I saw that and laughed yesterday.

[quote name='Link927']Just wondering, when do you usually get the paper? Friday? Saturday?[/quote]Actually, I don't buy one. Here in San Antonio, we only have one major newspaper, and they post all of the classifieds online. With that, Craigslist and Google Maps, I'm all set!

I got myself a Sega Genesis Model 2 from Goodwill last week for $6. Unfortunately it didn't have the AC Adaptor, RF Switch/AV cables, or even a controller. So I managed to find a controller from a local pawn shop for $5. I thought I had a spare RF Switch and AC Adaptor for it at home, but I either lost it or gave it to somebody. Oh well.

All the time. I saw at least 3 or 4 yesterday.

Didnt find much this week:

Tetris Board Game
.50$

2 Gameboy Colors
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Yellow
Nascar
Star Wars
4$

This one was pretty funny. I ask for games and the parents yell for their kids who show me this stuff and then walk away. I ask the parents how much and they start yelling at their kids to get the price. Kid says 7$ for everything. Dad says no thats too much, other kid says 5$. Then Mom says $4. I say OK thanks for bargaining for me and pay.

Flea Market Find:

NES with two guns
39 Games
7 genesis games and various controllers
60$

Final Fantasy
Maniac Mansion
NES Open
14$

Guy had a bunch of complete NES but he wanted way too much

But my best find of the week was on ebay and I already got it in the mail

Strategy Guides:
Paper Mario TTYD
SSBM
Luigis Mansion
Banjo Tooie
Mario Advance 4
DKC Advance
Zelda Ocarina Perfect Guide
Pokemon XD
Zelda Windwaker
Metroid Prime
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer N64
Pokemon Trading Card Games
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
about 18 Nintendo Powers

All for 18$ shipped

I just snagged a great deal on Craigs List. Do you think its a good deal?

For $80 here is what is included:

- PS1 without controller

- Over a dozen PS1 games

- PS2 with controller/hookups

-Sega Saturn (Complete)

- Over a dozen Saturn games

- Dreamcast Sports Edition

-A dozen DC games

Not too bad for $80.

Also today I picked up a complete NES w/

Tetris
Tetris 2
Loopz
Pyramid
Pinball
Championship Pool
Rad Racer
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Hatris
Othello

Took it for $12. I wil post pictures soon.

[quote name='Larrabee213']I just snagged a great deal on Craigs List. Do you think its a good deal?

- PS1 without controller

- Over a dozen PS1 games

-Sega Saturn (Complete)

-A dozen DC games

Not too bad for $80.

Tetris
Tetris 2
Loopz
Pyramid
Pinball
Championship Pool
Rad Racer
Hatris
Othello

Took it for $12. I wil post pictures soon.[/quote]

That is a great deal. What games are included?

[quote name='Larrabee213']I just snagged a great deal on Craigs List. Do you think its a good deal?

- PS1 without controller

- Over a dozen PS1 games

-Sega Saturn (Complete)

-A dozen DC games

Not too bad for $80.

Tetris
Tetris 2
Loopz
Pyramid
Pinball
Championship Pool
Rad Racer
Hatris
Othello

Took it for $12. I wil post pictures soon.[/quote]

Definitely! It was worth it for the PS2 alone. PM me with the Saturn games, I might be interested in buying/trading. =D

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Definitely! It was worth it for the PS2 alone. PM me with the Saturn games, I might be interested in buying/trading. =D[/quote]

I will find out the games when I pick it up on Wednesday. He said that a Sonic game was in there along with NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, and Virtual Fighter. thats all he said in the e-mail. he is going to let me look over the stuff before I hand over the cash. Also he said that a Castlevania game was with the PS1 stuff. Here is hoping to SOTN.:bouncy::bouncy:

Can't wait to check the Saturn out!! I am pumped!

Where would I be able to find a list of garage sales happening in my area (Chicago)? I wanna hunt this weekend.

Here is a big haul from today. First the NES with games and the atari games.

I bought a NES and games for $12 of craigs lists. But when I got there the lady had a whole bunch of atari games in box.

- NES with 2 controllers, all connections.

GAMES

- Dodgeball (in box complete)
- Tetris (In Box w/instructions)
-Tetris 2
-Loopz
-Pyramid
-Pinball (In Box with Instructions)
-Championship Pool
-Rad Racer
-Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
-Hatris
-Othello

Then she through in the atari games for free, all are in-box, most are complete, one even has a comic book. A bunch of these say 100+ games included. So I don't know if they are knockoffs or what.

- Breakout
- Space Invaders (112 Video Games)
- Space Raiders with comic book
- Space Raiders Video Touch pad
- Dark Cavern
- Atlantis
-Combat
- Towering Inferno
- Defender
- Space Attack
- Video Olympics

Then I stopped at the local thrift and got these for $3 total:
- Wrestlemania
- Bionic Commando
- Eliminator Boat Duel
- Winter Games
- Basewars.
nesgames.jpg

nes.jpg

atari.jpg

Total Spent: $15.

Are any of these atari games rare?

Just got back form another Craig's List posting. Origionally she just wanted to sell the game boy and pokemon and tetris. But I e-mailed her and asked if she wanted to get rid of anymore old games. Here is what I got:

N64 (green) hardware, 2 controllers, no AV. W/ expansion.

- Dokey Kong 64
- Mario Party 2
- Pokemon Snap
- Space Station Silicon Valley

DReamcast (complete)

- Tomb Raider and Tony Hawk 2 (inside of DC)

PS1 Games

- Chrono Cross
- Celec Deathmatch
- Crash Bandicoot
- Jet Moto x2
- Power Move Pro Wrestling
- Castilvania SOtN
- Tekken 2
- Cool Boarders 3
- Tomb Raider

GB Color

- Tetris
- Pokemon Gold

Total: $15.

She was cool, didn't want much for it.

ps1.jpg

sys.jpg

[quote name='allyourblood']we need to start a separate Craigslist thread, really.[/quote]

That would be great if we could make a sticky Official 2007 Craig's List Finds. Or something like that.

I was just checking out craigslist garage sale section. A town 15 minutes from new is having a huge block sale where everyone on the block brings out their stuff, I also found 3 other garage sales all within 5 minutes of the block sale.

All marked for 5/19, I'll be out early.

So last Saturday morning at 8 a.m., I get a bright and cheery call from my directing manager from my job telling me he found a Sega Master System at a garage sale and about 15 games for $25.00, and he's asking me if he should get it for me. Seeing as I was in a deep sleep about fifteen seconds prior to this question, I'm like "umm... sure?"

So I get to work on Monday and we go out to his jeep and he gives me a box containing all the Sega stuff. Then he's like "I also got you this stuff..."

He lifts up another box full of random Nintendo stuff and Legend of Legaia for PlayStation. He said a lady at thier community sale didn't want to haul this stuff home at the end of the day, so she gave it him for free.

Sweet.

DSC_0003.jpg

The Sega stuff is pretty dusty, and the Power Base itelf may well be junk as there are no screws holding it together, and the connections in the back are sort of jacked-up looking. I'll test it and clean it though. Also got this Quickshot joystick.

DSC_0005.jpg

CSC_0012.jpg

Most of these have their books (the better games thankfully), and one even has a God-awful 80's Sega poster.

CSC_0010-1.jpg

A decent-looking NES
2 control pads
2 RF switches
Power adapter

CSC_0016.jpg

An un-yellowed SNES in need of a light cleaning
2 control pads
10 dust covers

CSC_0014.jpg

1 SuperPad 64
N64 RF adapter (haha)
Some sort of wireless PlayStation controller
Asciiware SNES pad
Asciiware Super Advantage (also needs cleaning)

DSC_0019.jpg

NES games.
These NES games all came with SNES dust covers "covering" the bottom. That was where the ones in the above picture come from. I could use those more than NES sleeves, anyway.

DSC_0020.jpg

Legend of Legaia

So there it is. My mgr. tried not to accept the $25.00, but I made him take it. Still, not bad for this widely varying lot.

Hit 5 sales today, and at the first one bought a Game Gear bundle with the system and 12 games:

Cool Spot
Desert Speedtrap starring Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote
Dynamite Headdy
G-Loc Air Battle
Land of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
NBA Action
NFL Quarterback Club '96
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Triple Trouble
Spider Man: Return of the Sinister Six
Streets of Rage

All for $15. Pic forthcoming, as I haven't yet located my camera to take a shot (and after I do, I'm yanking the batteries so I have enough to test the system =P) It was a multi-family sale at which I arrived right as it began; CIF didn't work because the sale runner had to check with the other family and they deemed $10 too low. $15 is still worth it to me, though, as I haven't had a working Game Gear in a long time and this bundle has a lot of games I always wanted to try.

Congrats on the Game Gear! I grabbed one at the Book & Music Exchange (local store chain for those who are unaware) when they were having a tent sale.

Looks like you got a bunch of fun games too... Sonic, Dynamite Headdy, and Land of Illusion come to mind.

I just wish I could find functional (and cheap!) battery packs.

There is the 100 mile yardsale coming up on memorial day weekend back from where I am from. I am probably going to try and drive it all the way. I am really hoping though that in 100 miles, I find some killer items for sale. One year I found a couple awesome record for 1$ each including Missouri's Movin' On album and Bob and Doug McKenzie's Great White North Album.

I'll give the recon when I go!

Went to a church rummage sale and picked up this stuff.
Got the printer/scanner/copier that I was told was broken for $.25, it works for the most part
Got a 4 port usb hub/coffe warmer $.25
and got Gran Turismo 2 for ps1 $1.00

DSCN0420.jpg

[quote name='Mirpkered']There is the 100 mile yardsale coming up on memorial day weekend back from where I am from. I am probably going to try and drive it all the way. I am really hoping though that in 100 miles, I find some killer items for sale. One year I found a couple awesome record for 1$ each including Missouri's Movin' On album and Bob and Doug McKenzie's Great White North Album.

I'll give the recon when I go![/QUOTE]

It would be interesting to hear how you do. I can't help but think that it would be impossible to be the first one to get a deal on something video game related nowadays like a SNES with games at this or get something like Super Mario RPG for afew bucks or less with the masses amounts of people that would be at this. Also the idea of asking every seller you hit up at this if they had any video games lol although I'd image they would have them out for sale if they did at this event.

Hell I'm pessimistic about community sales or decent block/street sales since they attract more yardsalers and they are nothing compared to this.

That's an interesting question actually - for those who do extremely well at yard sales, do you tend to stay away from the larger "Community" sales because that naturally attracts a larger group of people, or do you flock there because of the large number of potential houses you can pillage...er, visit?

I've got about 10 community/multi-family sales mapped out for myself tomorrow morning (if the rain holds off) with another 15 or so individual yard sales which I've put on the back burner. Maybe I'm going about it all wrong?

[quote name='baberg']That's an interesting question actually - for those who do extremely well at yard sales, do you tend to stay away from the larger "Community" sales because that naturally attracts a larger group of people, or do you flock there because of the large number of potential houses you can pillage...er, visit?

I've got about 10 community/multi-family sales mapped out for myself tomorrow morning (if the rain holds off) with another 15 or so individual yard sales which I've put on the back burner. Maybe I'm going about it all wrong?[/quote] Both big communities and small neighborhoods have been good to me so far. Usually I have to ask for video game stuff, so the abundance of people doesn't make a huge difference.

One thing I have noticed is the "suburb factor". I'm usually not too successful in more recently built neighborhoods, since most residents are usually younger parents who have 5 or 6 year old kids, not older parents who's kids are out of the house but left some crap behind. So, if you're somewhat familiar with the neighborhoods you've mapped out, you might want to prioritize to go to the older areas first. Suburban-ish areas built in the 60s or 70s are the perfect places.

Whoops that's right its for Ps1 not ps2, went today got an original Gameboy $.50, any takers? Got Diablo 2 LOD for $.50, love this game and I ask myself everyday why I sold my copy.

And I got something that is going straight to ebay a used, but in excellent shape SONY MAVICA FD88 Digital Camera, takes floppies, has case and strap. Battery needs to be charged with universal charger. Was $5.00 talked him down to $3.

[quote name='kube00']Whoops that's right its for Ps1 not ps2, went today got an original Gameboy $.50, any takers? Got Diablo 2 LOD for $.50, love this game and I ask myself everyday why I sold my copy.

And I got something that is going straight to ebay a used, but in excellent shape SONY MAVICA FD88 Digital Camera, takes floppies, has case and strap. Battery needs to be charged with universal charger. Was $5.00 talked him down to $3.[/QUOTE]

If you don't want LOD I'll take it. :)

Reading through this just makes me wet my pants. I wish i had good yardsales here. Only good thing here is the Flea which i will hit up tomorrow. I'll post my finds plus my score from last week up here but most of you already know what i found.

[quote name='baberg']That's an interesting question actually - for those who do extremely well at yard sales, do you tend to stay away from the larger "Community" sales because that naturally attracts a larger group of people, or do you flock there because of the large number of potential houses you can pillage...er, visit?

I've got about 10 community/multi-family sales mapped out for myself tomorrow morning (if the rain holds off) with another 15 or so individual yard sales which I've put on the back burner. Maybe I'm going about it all wrong?[/quote]

This area that it is happening is rather... hick. Not many people in that area even think about buying games like I do. I remember before I REALLY started collecting, passing up numerous Genesis systems for 1$ and 2$ each with gmes usually. It it pretty interesting though. My dad is going to the 10 mile yardsale out on the other side of town. We are going to recon for each other. He'll look for game stuff for me, I look for car parts for him.

[quote name='nyprimus4']All the Northeasterners pray for no rain.[/quote]

Tomorrow looks like shit.

I am going out, but just to one HUGE neighborhood yardsale. Hopefully the rain will wait.

Otherwise I might make a trade with Evilmax. Nice to live near a hardcore CAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back