OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still finding a few things. Noticibly colder temperatures have slowed things down big time.

SNES (System only)
Some sort of gameboy cable
Big ass bag of corn on the cob holders
$3

NES Zapper

Gameboy Advance SP in great shape w/
Silicon case
Wall Charger
Auto Charger
New George Forman Grill
$25 ($20 for the games, $5 for the grill)

Almost perfect Nintendo DS Phat w/ charger
Huge Nintendo DS Carrying Case
Game Carrying Case
Fifa Soccer 2005 (GBA)
Fear Factor (GBA)
GT Advance 3 (GBA)
Aggressive Inline (GBA)
WarioWare Touched! (DS Cartridge)
Super Mario 64 (DS Cartridge)
Chronicles of Narnia (DS Cartridge)
Metroid Prime Hunters 1st Hunt Demo (DS Cartridge)
Zoo Keeper (DS Complete)
$47

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/2041320092/

According to the DS family I just missed BOXES of Nintendo stuff. I was pretty disappointed with that.

Good luck to everyone else.

Ps1: FF Origins Complete Non GH $8
Ps1 Chrono Cross Complete Non GH $5
Ps1 Kartia: The World of Fate Blockbuster Release (Non Holo cover art) $5
-I have both variants now, looking to move either one. This on is missing the manual cover but all other pages intack
NES Short Order/ Egg Splode w/manual $1
SNES Genghis Khan II Cart $3
SNES Aerobiz Cart $3
SNES Pilot Wings Complete $5

Update on a yard sale from earlier: The guy that was having the sale called me and asked me about the games I was interested in. He STILL has them and I asked about three of them (Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Tennis GC, and Animal Crossing). He quotes me this price when I asked: "I can get you all three for $60." My response was then, "Ehhh....that's a little much." Guy doesn't counter offer with a lower price and instead talks about "manufacturer's price at EB being much higher and he's trying to undercut them." Well, go lower than $60 for three games if you really want the stuff gone!

I don't think he'll EVER get rid of those games.

[quote name='PooperScooper1900']Garage sales are booming (or so it seems) in So. Cal. Too bad I see them on my way to work and can't stop...[/QUOTE]

I see them all the time on the way to work as well (West LA), but I'm always late for work as it is...heh.

Well garage sales have been dead here in NJ for about 6 weeks. I've managed a few finds at local flea markets but nothing spectacular.

Today however on the way to my local flea market I saw a sign that said indoor yardsale - go figure.

Anyway I managed to get a great deal on the following.
All complete and near mint

1001462pp2.jpg

A young guy was trying to sell his PS2 with 20 games for $80. All the games were pretty much crap titles except for these and the fatty had seen better days. I yanked these from the stack and asked if would sell these seperate and how much. He said OK and $10. I countered with $5 CIF and he came back with how bout $7. Pretty much a no brainer. I've been patiently waiting for MVC2. GOW2 and MUA I already have but I'm gonna gift these out to my nephew for Christmas along with some other goodies I found on the cheap this year. I can't wait to see the look on his face

I dropped by a goodwill today and picked up Dragon Warrior and Zelda 2 for the NES for $1 each. They were in a box with a nes and a bunch of other games for $20, but I passed on the rest since I had most of the other games and I don't need a 4th nes. One of the employees said I could get purchase them separately, which surprised me since they don't usually do that. The only other note worthy games in the box were castlevania, mario 3, and zelda 1. I have those already and I figured if some mom gets that for her kids it would be nice to leave some of the classics in there.

I should also note that I finally modded the broken xbox I picked up from a pawn shop for $10. The busted dvd drive is the only problem and that was taken care of by swapping out a drive temporarily from one of my working ones. I don't need a working drive for it since I'm only using it to watch video over my network.

Tonight, I manage to get some Nintendo 64 games from a family that was advertising on the local internet site for a 'garage sale' (really, just call them to set a time to meet up to purchase items). I swung by their place and got these games for $20. I also got a Codebreaker disc for the Playstation too.

Donkey Kong 64 (although I already have this)
Road Rash 64
Super Mario 64 (cart only)
Space Invaders
Superman 64
Namco Museum 64
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1
NHL Breakaway 98
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Star Wars Episode I Racer (I have this as well)
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
NFL Quarterback Club 2001

I might have overpayed a little for they being carts only but to get Super Mario 64 was worth it.

[quote name='Furashu']what is this CIF technique i keep reading about? lol

stating u only have less then what u really have?[/quote]
CIF stands for "Cash in Face." It is when you offer someone cash by literally pulling it out and showing it to them.

Say I am selling a DS for $100. You take a $50 bill out of your pocket and hold it up to me, saying "I'll give you $50." Most people naturally want to grab any money they see, so they will (usually) take it and you get a nice discount.

That is the idea anyway :)

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']CIF stands for "Cash in Face." It is when you offer someone cash by literally pulling it out and showing it to them.

Say I am selling a DS for $100. You take a $50 bill out of your pocket and hold it up to me, saying "I'll give you $50." Most people naturally want to grab any money they see, so they will (usually) take it and you get a nice discount.

That is the idea anyway :)[/quote]

Hmmm... Will have to try that sometime... Thanks

well, these aren't showstoppers, but it's been quiet in here, and i've been steadily finding things lately, so i may as well share during the lull:

PSX Power Replay III (cheat/mod device), $1

Nintendo Famicom JAP-US cartridge adapter, $2
Famicom "multicart" 64-in-1 cartridge (pic of game listing here), $3

SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
SNES Super Mario Kart, both for $5

DVD 3rd Rock from the Sun: Season One, $3

Strategy Guides
GC Wario World
GC/N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (x2)
GBA Sword of Mana
GBA Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, all for $5
PSX Lunar: Eternal Blue hardcover instruction manual, $1

total: $20

it was raining this morning, so pickings were slim and sales didn't really start until a little later than usual (around 9am or so). still not bad for a soggy day and winter fast approaching.

[quote name='allyourblood']well, these aren't showstoppers, but it's been quiet in here, and i've been steadily finding things lately, so i may as well share during the lull:

PSX Power Replay III (cheat/mod device), $1

Nintendo Famicom JAP-US cartridge adapter, $2
Famicom "multicart" 64-in-1 cartridge (pic of game listing here), $3

SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
SNES Super Mario Kart, both for $5

DVD 3rd Rock from the Sun: Season One, $3

Strategy Guides
GC Wario World
GC/N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (x2)
GBA Sword of Mana
GBA Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, all for $5
PSX Lunar: Eternal Blue hardcover instruction manual, $1

total: $20

it was raining this morning, so pickings were slim and sales didn't really start until a little later than usual (around 9am or so). still not bad for a soggy day and winter fast approaching.[/quote]

what areas do u usually go to in SD?

[quote name='Furashu']what areas do u usually go to in SD?[/quote]
i usually go with my brother and a friend, and we'll try different places all over SD county, depending on our mood. as a general rule, Spring Valley is excellent for yard sales, especially for old stuff (NES, Genesis, 2600, etc). National City/Paradise Valley also isn't bad, when you get into the older neighborhoods.

Hey everyone :) Long time lurker; first time posting

Got some deals (imo:???:) at a few local flea markets:

2 Saturn controllers
1 power cord
Mr. Bones (missing case lid)
Alien Trilogy (missing case lid)
Battle Monsters (missing case lid)
Andretti Racing
Soviet Strike (case only)
Virtua Cop (disc only)
--$5--

(all complete)
Streets of Rage 3
Golden Axe
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
Shinobi 3
Rolling Thunder 2
Maximum Carnage
--$10--

N64 RF unit
--$1--

Donkey Kong Country booklet
--$0.50--

Street Fighter II: Turbo
--$3--

Toejam & Earl 2
--$1.50--

Shadowrun
--$3--

PSX Multi tap
SNES Extension cable
--$2--

First of all, im a total n00b when it comes to haggling with people. 1st sale, i stumble upon a box filled with the saturn stuff. everything is in moderate to bad condition, but i just got a Saturn not too long ago and i've been trying to find some cheap games for it. all the cds were loose and under all the other crap, which looks like it was dumped in a swamp. Guy throws me the first offer at $20 :puke:. Before I can say anything, he's like "okay $10", i tell him that the discs are scratched (which they were. Virtua cop has a small puncture in it, like somebody jabbed it with a screwdriver) he takes out a tiger handheld game out of the box (lol broken screen) an throws me $5, so i took it. Tried the games out and they all work flawlessly (even Virt Cop somehow)

found a box full Gens all in mint cond. for $3 a pop. Picked out the best 6 and CIF'd $10 with no problem.

saw N64 RF box under a bunch of baby clothes. offered $1 and they took it.

came across Gran Turismo and Fear Effect 1 and 2 all in mint. Wanted $10 ...EACH, which i passed on.

Last sale, asked a guy how much he wanted for DKC booklet alone. he wanted $1 which I countered w/ 50c. He reluctantly agrees, and me being an a-hole, asked if he had change for a buck

[quote name='Blarggatron']

Last sale, asked a guy how much he wanted for DKC booklet alone. he wanted $1 which I countered w/ 50c. He reluctantly agrees, and me being an a-hole, asked if he had change for a buck[/quote]

LOL that is awesome

for the record, haggling has nothing to do with having exact change. the only time i might consider not doing it is when it's early in the morning and i only have twenties -- drilling someone down to 50c and then asking them to break a $20 is annoying at best, and when they don't have change, well... that's why i try to keep quarters on hand. ;)

[quote name='FOnewearl']A buck for all of those TurboGrafx-16 games? That's a steal deal even Splatterhouse alone would have been a hell of a bargin for a buck![/quote]

I agree. I have only seen 1 turbografix 16 item in 15 years of garage saleing (sp?)...It was the console in the box, I bought for $2.50. (I think that was 3-4 years ago). I have NEVER seen any neogeo stuff at a sale. :applause:

Got the best deal I've ever gotten a couple months ago: a Saturn w/ all chords, controller, Virtua Cop 2 and a Genesis w/ all chords, controller, and 5 games. All of that: A little over 5 bucks at a 50 cents per pound thrift store! Also got a Genesis cleaning kit there for 19 cents a couple weeks later.

[quote name='slowdive21']I agree. I have only seen 1 turbografix 16 item in 15 years of garage saleing (sp?)...It was the console in the box, I bought for $2.50. (I think that was 3-4 years ago). I have NEVER seen any neogeo stuff at a sale. :applause:[/QUOTE]

I think that TurboGrafix stuff is hard to find dirt cheap in the wild and nearly impossible to find at any price in some areas. I've found a broken TurboPad & a CIJ Splatterhouse at the flea market (seperate) this year those being my only TG16 finds in the wild ever. I would consider myself lucky to even find that much as the ONLY place around me that sold TG16 stuff was EBgames who was also the only place that carried Neo Geo stuff around me back in the day.

[quote name='FOnewearl']A buck for all of those TurboGrafx-16 games? That's a steal deal even Splatterhouse alone would have been a hell of a bargin for a buck![/quote]

Now that I know what to look for, I will keep my eyes peeled. I doubt I will find any, but knowledge is power. Funny thing was that these were interspersed with music CDs. Just made the offer on a whim and they accepted.

I am so getting stoked for the next season.

[quote name='willc23']Now that I know what to look for, I will keep my eyes peeled. I doubt I will find any, but knowledge is power. Funny thing was that these were interspersed with music CDs. Just made the offer on a whim and they accepted.

I am so getting stoked for the next season.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity...What state do you live in?

[quote name='facemeat']Got the best deal I've ever gotten a couple months ago: a Saturn w/ all chords, controller, Virtua Cop 2 and a Genesis w/ all chords, controller, and 5 games. All of that: A little over 5 bucks at a 50 cents per pound thrift store! Also got a Genesis cleaning kit there for 19 cents a couple weeks later.[/quote]Your thrift store charges per pound?? Wha?

[quote name='cranguy']Your thrift store charges per pound?? Wha?[/quote]

I've seen thrift stores that do that before, usually only with clothes though.

[quote name='cranguy']Your thrift store charges per pound?? Wha?[/quote]
Well, it's actually an add-on to a pretty massive (yet crappy) Goodwill near me. I think it's called the "Goodwill Discount Room" or something. It's not attached to the main store, and it's kinda depressing in there, there's barely any lighting and most people who go in seems homeless (sorry if that sounded mean, but it's the truth).

I got some good deals recently... One garage sale I nabbed all this for $25

For $25 he got the following:
-Atari 2600 with shitloads of games, manuals, accessories, & controllers
-Sega Master System complete and a bunch of games
-Super Nintendo and some Games
-Sega Genesis w/Sega CD ands tons of games with boxes etc.
-Sega Gamegear with TV tuner and games
-Super Color Video X boxed
-Coleco Telstar boxed

I had also got another lot of Sega, Nintendo, & Super Nintendo Games & systems last month for another $20 but I sold it all on eBay (like near complete Mega Man series, DKC series, Sonic Series, + much more etc.) and made myself a few hundred off that.

[quote name='allyourblood']who's "he"?[/quote]

I have my dad watch out for garage sales since he goes to them for records, he acquired the large lot for me - I was so estatic to see these when I went to his place to pick it up. I usually make better finds than him in the video game department but I was impressed by the haul this time as he usually only grabs me NES or SNES stuff!

[quote name='lostdecoy']I got some good deals recently... One garage sale I nabbed all this for $25

For $25 he got the following:
-Atari 2600 with shitloads of games, manuals, accessories, & controllers
-Sega Master System complete and a bunch of games
-Super Nintendo and some Games
-Sega Genesis w/Sega CD ands tons of games with boxes etc.
-Sega Gamegear with TV tuner and games
-Super Color Video X boxed
-Coleco Telstar boxed

I had also got another lot of Sega, Nintendo, & Super Nintendo Games & systems last month for another $20 but I sold it all on eBay (like near complete Mega Man series, DKC series, Sonic Series, + much more etc.) and made myself a few hundred off that.[/QUOTE]

Got any pictures :D would make this post alot more fun to read about or at least the games you got with it.

Did you sell that stuff recently on eBay? That could probably serve nice as to show what all you got at that first score with out much more effort.

I got a great deal in a local pawn shop a couple days ago. I visit this particular pawn shop on and off, and I've bought some games there before, but usually I get CDs. They have always sold PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube games for $10 each or 3 for $25. I only have a Gamecube so those are the only games I ever really looked at. Generally they have a few decent games, and I've once done the 3 for $25 deal, but most of the ones are usually obtainable at Gamestop for slightly more; older games and sports games mostly. Last time I visited though, for the most part every game they had there I would have expected to see there, except I saw The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess. I couldn't believe it. I almost picked up Eternal Darkness and Splinter Cell Double Agent to complete the 3 for $25 deal, but I realized I didn't have enough cash on me so I just went for Zelda for $10.

and that was kind of long, but I felt like the story needed the build-up :whistle2:D

got this over the pre-Christmas weekend, but didn't get a chance to post until now:

DVD 24: Season One, $6
DVD Ultraviolet, $2
DVD Deadbirds, $2

HD DVD 16 Blocks, $5
NES Kirby's Adventure (sealed), $5
NES Yoshi's Cookie, $3

total: $23

my favorite this week was Kirby. i was shocked to see it still sealed. it has a $14.99 price tag on it from Kay Bee Toys. guess the guy i bought from got it on clearance and never bothered to open it. the Yoshi game is opened, which is a shame, because the game, bag, manual and case are all in new condition (it still has the plastic seal on it), and looking at it, you'd think the game was never even played. oh well.

[quote name='Otherguy676']Found a new sealed Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls II) for $1 today. Didn't realize it was worth anything when i bought it.[/QUOTE]

Damn! Lucky. I still have my copy from when I got it years ago.

[quote name='Kuros']Damn! Lucky. I still have my copy from when I got it years ago.[/quote]

I had it when I was younger, but my parents threw out all my old computer games :cry:

Monkey Island, Day of The Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, Full Throttle, etc down the drain when I was in college.

Oh well, it's been years so Im over it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back