OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing personal, but I hate all these good deals you're getting. :/

I really should move somewhere that "yard sale" means an actual "yard sale." The most I ever see here are books..

The only thing I managed to come across was Forsaken for the PS1 in case and manual for $1. That's something, I suppose!

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']

Oh, but this morning on CraigsList:

Black Sports Dreamcast
VMU
PowerStone
Evolution
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Web Browser
Tony Hawk
2x sports BS games
all complete, discs a little scratched but nothing too deep
[/quote]

Haha, I saw that dreamcast post from selden super late last night and totally forgot about it this morning. At least someone from here picked it up :D

HGTV just did an hour-long special on the Endless Yard Sale that runs along route 127. Was kind of fun to watch, and will be replaying all week.

Endless Yard Sale 2007

Hosts Steven Lee and Elyse Luray shop the world's longest yard sale, a 630-mile treasure hunt through four states, to discover who's buying, who's selling and how to score the best deals. We follow two hard-core yard salers as they scope out incredible steals, and Luray appraises everything from the hottest new collectibles to retro-modern furniture along this endless boulevard of bargains.

spacer.gif
AIR TIMES:

October 14, 2007 9:00 PM ET/PT
October 15, 2007 1:00 AM ET/PT
October 21, 2007 5:00 PM ET/PT
spacer.gif

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/spcl_prsntn/episode/0,1806,HGTV_3909_53030,00.html

[quote name='Wooten']Haha, I saw that dreamcast post from selden super late last night and totally forgot about it this morning. At least someone from here picked it up :D[/quote]

Thanks! I've been looking for a black DC for ages. Now it matches everything in my setup but the top-loading NES and SNES-mini (as my Wii has a black Dharma Initiative skin).

[quote name='Trikip']Yesterday you were all confident and saying it's cranking up. But it looks like the season is ending for all of us, unfortunately.[/quote]
come to Southern California. one of the few good things about the weather here is that we have plenty of yard sales, even in January (well, year-round really, but that's one of our coldest months).

Hey, I'd really like to get started in the yard sale hunt, but how do I find out about yard sales? I've only ever seen a couple of signs for them(live in Birmingham, Alabama). If anyone knows of a site that might tell you if there is a yard sale coming u, or should i start looking in the newspapers? Or, should I just drive around my town on thursday and just hunt for signs?

[quote name='BladeoftheImmortal']Hey, I'd really like to get started in the yard sale hunt, but how do I find out about yard sales? I've only ever seen a couple of signs for them(live in Birmingham, Alabama). If anyone knows of a site that might tell you if there is a yard sale coming u, or should i start looking in the newspapers? Or, should I just drive around my town on thursday and just hunt for signs?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure most people look in newspapers or things like merchanettes (booklet that is nothing but classified ads, usually costs less than a dollar), they have merchanettes in my area and I assume they have something similar in most areas. You might even try looking on craigslist's garage sale section.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Wooten/Slim Gatsby -- Where abouts on Long Island are you from?[/quote]

I'm from Shoreham, if you know where that is.

[quote name='Wooten']I'm from Shoreham, if you know where that is.[/quote]

I do, I live in Manorville. I often hit up some garage sales in that area-- in fact, off Middle Country, last weekend, I found a Nomad for $2.

[quote name='Trikip']Check signs on your busy streets, check www.craigslist.com, check the newspapers, stuff like that.[/quote]

Agreed, that's pretty much what I've been doing. I'll check craigslist real quick the night before to get an idea, then I just cruise around and look for signs. I'm usually able to hit around 10 that way.

[quote name='BladeoftheImmortal']Hey, I'd really like to get started in the yard sale hunt, but how do I find out about yard sales? I've only ever seen a couple of signs for them(live in Birmingham, Alabama). If anyone knows of a site that might tell you if there is a yard sale coming u, or should i start looking in the newspapers? Or, should I just drive around my town on thursday and just hunt for signs?[/quote]

Check your newspaper and local area interest sites. Also, your upscale areas are presupposed to having yard sales and usually video games there.

The sales have tapered off -- but I did manage to find some great deals.

I went to a local yard/bake sale at the old fairgrounds and bought a X-Box 360 controller for $2.

I then went by a friend's house and bought a Nintendo 64 with four controllers and a box full of games for $30. It was going to be $25 and my friend's wife saw the price for the system that read $30. I was going to offer to just buy the games and I told her and her son "I already have a Nintendo 64" and then we both realized it would be pointless to leave her with the system, so I just bit and bought the system. Seeing the games I got made it worth it. I now have two N64 systems which is OK. If I ever get No Mercy.....I can then save more CAWs!!!

The games are:
Super Mario 64 (sealed and in the box)
Waialae Country Club
Roadsters
Automobili Lamborghini
Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest
Indy Racing 2000
NASCAR 2000
Mario Tennis (!!!!)
Mario Party 3
Madden 99
Mario Kart 64 (!!!!!)
Battletanx
Monster Truck Madness 64
Mickey's Speedway USA

I stopped by about 5 yard sales. I found a Pac Man World 2/Vs. for the GCN and asked if he had any other games. He said he had tons, but he usually takes it to EBGamestop#-o

The next few I stopped at had nothing but furniture and some kids toys. The last one I stopped at had Sims 2 and The Movies both for PC complete for $.25 each. I quickly snagged them and asked if she had any others. Sadly, she didn't have anything else so I left with those two.

Can we also have a minute of silence for the poor defenseless chipmunk I ran over on my way back home :pray: RIP...

Last week I ran into a bunch of games at this one house, psx games that were complete but scratched up very badly and reeked with the smell of god knows what. As far as I know there was nothing exceedingly rare in the pile, the best things were Xenogears and some castlevania game with the green players choice box. The games were 3-4$ each. I am a clean person and I just cannot buy stuff that smells this gross.

I can usually get the smell out of consoles and plastic with a bit of febreeze however as far as I know there is no way to get the smell out of paper manuals. Box of PS1 stuff for 25$ at this house however the games were crappy ones and again it smelled really bad (and I have 3 psx systems currently), there was a loose ps2 network adapter in that box if that means anything.

[quote name='SaraAB']Last week I ran into a bunch of games at this one house, psx games that were complete but scratched up very badly and reeked with the smell of god knows what. As far as I know there was nothing exceedingly rare in the pile, the best things were Xenogears and some castlevania game with the green players choice box. The games were 3-4$ each. I am a clean person and I just cannot buy stuff that smells this gross.

I can usually get the smell out of consoles and plastic with a bit of febreeze however as far as I know there is no way to get the smell out of paper manuals. Box of PS1 stuff for 25$ at this house however the games were crappy ones and again it smelled really bad (and I have 3 psx systems currently), there was a loose ps2 network adapter in that box if that means anything.[/quote]

They had xenogears and symphony of the night for 3-4 dollars and you passed them up because of smell :bomb:

[quote name='schuerm26']They had xenogears and symphony of the night for 3-4 dollars and you passed them up because of smell :bomb:[/quote]

Yeah, for real, I've bought stuff that reeked of cigarettes (like a Diablo PC game)

[quote name='schuerm26']They had xenogears and symphony of the night for 3-4 dollars and you passed them up because of smell :bomb:[/quote]

Seriously.

:dunce:

I would have wrapped the manuals with dryer sheets.

I was out early today and picked up a Sega Saturn with two controllers and 5 games (Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Die Hard Arcade, and Quake) for $15. The only problem is the RCA cables weren't included, but I hooked it up to power and it turns on okay.

I'm pretty damn excited, and hope that it won't be hard to find the A/V cables.

Not much luck today, actually surprised that I had any luck at all. Didn't get started until after 1:00 p.m., so I thought it would be very slim pickings.

PS2 Slim $50
Not so cheap, but was on a mission for a neighbor whose son's PS2 phat had crapped out. So, got that covered, at least I thought so until I got home. Bad power cable. The unit works with my power cable, so there isn't a problem there. Looks like I will have to pick up a used power cable at Gamecrazy.

Toy Story (SNES)
Adventures of Mighty Max (SNES)
$1.00

Asked the lady if she had any video game stuff for sale and she said it all sold earlier. I asked her what she sold and she said PS2 stuff. I told her that I was looking for Nintendo games anyway and she told me she hadn't thought to put that stuff out. So I checked it out and not really much besides what I picked up and sports games.

Mario Party 1 (N64)
Wave Racer 64 (N64)
$5

Next door neighbor to the SNES games lady. Asked her if she had any video games and she said her son had some. She went in and he brought out a N64 with about ten games, mostly sports and wrestling games. I offered $10 for all of it, but they weren't up for that. So I just offered $5 for the two above games.

Lastly, sorry so long, asked for games, the mom said no, the daughter says wait I have a SNES and a Mario game. I told her I would take it for $5 if she was interested. Older daughter says her boyfriend just sold one for $30. I said that would be great if she could find someone else to buy it at that, but I was cheap. Younger daughter said what the hell and sent dad in to unhook it. To make a short story long, she gets sellers remorse while we were waiting and said she wanted to keep it just in case she wanted to relive her childhood. She was nice about it so no problem.

I didn't get much this weekend.

Yesterday at Goodwill:
Alone in the Dark 2 (boxed, included the first game as well) $4
Phantasmagoria (complete) $3

Today at one sale:
28 Days Later dvd $1

[quote name='mguiddy']Seriously.

:dunce:

I would have wrapped the manuals with dryer sheets.[/QUOTE]

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea, I will remember it next time!

went to a community sale in the hudson valley but didnt find much...

Gameboy Advance SP and 5 games for $20...
PSP Lumines $10...was part of bundle with PSP and 2 other games but he broke it up after some hesitation
Transformers G1 Galvatron $2...decent condition and it actually has the clear orange tip with it...

passed on
PS2 Fat combo bundle with ATV and network adaptor...supposedly brand new in box for $75...might of considered if i had more cash on me
PS2 slim in box $80
PSP bundle with 3 games $100...

various other overpriced games

Sales have really slowed down and this is probably my last weekend but a few OK finds

GBA Games
LOTR Two Towers
Kim Possible
3$

Gamecube
4mb 3rd Party Mem Card
All hookups, no controllers
Super Mario Sunshine Disc Only
$5

Matt Hoffman BMX GBC Complete
Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc Complete
$1

Tony Hawk Underground Remix PSP
Need for Speed Underground Rivals PSP
$6

N64 with Expansion Pak
2 Controllers
Mario Kart 64
Game Boy Advance (Atomic Purple)
Crash Bandicoot Purple GBA
Tetris GB
SMB Deluxe GBC
World Tour Soccer PSP
Wipeout PSP (Sealed)
Ape Escape PSP
Spiderman 2 UMD (in an NFSU Rivals case)
$11

I probably would've passed on them too, seeing as how I believe she said they were scratched to hell and what not. Plus, you CAN buy some of these games(in GH packaging) for $20 online without much hassle.

To me, if a game is incomplete, scratched to hell or otherwise in crap condition, I don't care how 'zomg rare' it is, I'll leave it since there may be that ONE scratch that is a fatal one to the disc(s). And, for $3-4 each, I'd rather not have an(in my book) expensive coaster.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Plus, you CAN buy some of these games(in GH packaging) for $20 online without much hassle.[/quote]O RLY? Show me where. :roll:

Yes. But those are completely different games. Xenogears and SOTN have been out of print for about 4 years.

ALTHOUGH, I was lucky enough to get a sealed GH version of Xenogears months ago on eBay for the retail price, $19.99. It was one of those massive sellers... they must have found some old stock somewhere. I caught it just as it was posted and they only had 1. One of the nicer pieces in my PS1 collection.

But, is your copy of XG still sealed or did you play it? See, that's one thing that irked me about the clearance games from Kmart which I had sealed still, to me it was a huge waste to have them sitting here unopened and unplayed. So, once FYE had a deal on trade ins, I dumped them quickly.

Had I known the alleged rarity of those two titles, I would've snapped at least SOTN up from my local CC when they still had copies to clear out. Though, I will say that I owned it about 2-3 times and hated it every time.

Things are definitely slowing down in my neck of the woods, but was abe to pick up a few things this weekend.

Friday:
Not gaming related but,
3 Polo Oxford Shirts
1 Brooks Brother Shirt
Belkin Tunecast II FM Transmitter
$15
Shirts were brand new and the Belkin was brand new in box

Saturday:
NES:
Legend of Zelda (Cartridge only but in great shape)
Excitebike
$2
The lady had a NES system controllers, zapper, the oversized joystick, and about 8 other games and wanted $40 even after telling me that the NES didn't work unless you put it on its side. So I offered $10 for everything. She rejected and said she would just give it to her neighbor for nothing. At that point, I saw that the Zelda was in good shape so I offered $2 for it and Excitebike.

At another sale I picked up:
TurboGrafx:
Alien Crush
Bloody Wolf
Legendary Axe
Legendary Axe II
TV Sports Football
Yo'Bro
World Class Baseball
Splatterhouse
$1
I don't know a damn thing about TurboGrafx games, but I figured that there would be an audience in the vintage games so what the heck. Came home and checked out the prices on Ebay and it looks like I got a pretty good deal.

Tried to get a brand new Roboraptor (the biggest one) for $30, but the lady never called back. I am assuming she sold it for the $50 she had it listed for.

Lastly, I am about an hour away from pulling off a pretty good Craigslist score, Gamecube and 4 wavebirds for $60. Hopefully it won't fall through. If it works, I will post details on the Craigslist finds page.

Pretty Good Week considering it is October

Star Wars Bounty Hunter Complete
$5

NEO GEO AES Football Frenzy Complete
NGAES Art of Fighting Box and Manual
R.O.B. the Robot - I think it has just about all pieces
$5

First time I have ever found NGAES stuff

All complete
ESWAT Gen
Virtua Racing Gen
F-117 Night Storm Gen
Robocop vs Terminator Gen
Bubsy 2 Gen
Champions World Class Soccer SNES
Super Baseball 2020 SNES
Waialae Country Club SNES
$8

Legends of the Diamond NES
Milon's Secret Castle with Manual
$5

Genesis System (all games cart only)
Power Arcade Stick 1st Party
Golden Axe2
Shadow of the Beast
Mystic Defender
Revenge of Shinobi
Aladdin
Last Battle
Insector X
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
NBA Jam
NHL 94
Sonic 2
NFL 95
Altered Beast
College Football
$20

And the find of the day

Nintendogs Sealed
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sealed
White DS Lite complete in box MINT condition
$85

[quote name='smaaug']NEO GEO AES Football Frenzy Complete
NGAES Art of Fighting Box and Manual
R.O.B. the Robot - I think it has just about all pieces
$5

First time I have ever found NGAES stuff[/quote]
First time anybody has found AES stuff in the history of the Yardsale thread, as far as I know.

Story behind this one? Did you ask if they had the System as well?

If you had found an AES system, you would have been a god.

Not too much of a story. The guy cleaned out people's houses and had these. I was wicked excited too when I saw the games; I asked for the system but he said he didn't have one. I even went back again later to see if he found the other game or a system. No luck.

He did tell me he had sold a Turbografx Express with 3 games to some guy he knew for ten bucks (this almost made me cry).

In the end I was happier to find the R.O.B. as I had been wanting one and the AES stuff I got was nothing great, would have been better if football frenzy was missing and art of fighting was complete.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I probably would've passed on them too, seeing as how I believe she said they were scratched to hell and what not. Plus, you CAN buy some of these games(in GH packaging) for $20 online without much hassle.

To me, if a game is incomplete, scratched to hell or otherwise in crap condition, I don't care how 'zomg rare' it is, I'll leave it since there may be that ONE scratch that is a fatal one to the disc(s). And, for $3-4 each, I'd rather not have an(in my book) expensive coaster.[/QUOTE]

This is why I did not buy the games, they were scratched to hell, the garage smelled like a mixture of piss and smoke (and so did the games), it was in the manuals, and unless that dryer sheet method works, that smell ain't going away anytime soon. There is also the possibility of that one fatal scratch killing the disc halfway through the game, and since the scratches were deep I was not taking the chance.

I know people who have bought things and waited 2+ years and the smell has not come out yet. I also know from past experience that bringing something smelly into a clean non-smokers room makes a large portion of the room smell like the item, and I do not care to sleep with the smell of piss and smoke. I already had to sleep with the smell of gasoline and oil from an item I bought this year at a yard sale, and it was not pleasant to say the least .

Even if you were going to ebay them with a large warning about the smell and condition, the buyer would likely bitch and complain no matter what, and its just not worth the hassle.

Looks like things are slowing down everywhere else, but I am still finding a few things.

PS2 Fat, Two Controllers, Hookups
$20

SNES System
SNES Controller Extension Cable
SNES Games:
Mario Paint, Mouse and Tablet
Yoshi's Island
Sunset Riders
Top Gear
Super Troll Islands
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Phalanx
F-Zero
Super Mario World
Toys
Super Game Boy Adapter

NES Games:
Dr. Mario
Airwolf
Yoshi
Home Alone
Monopoly

Atari 7800 Games:
Mario Brothers

$17*

*Struck up a conversation with the guy selling who said that he was into XBox 360 games. I told him I had several unopened 360 games for sale (from the KMart clearance). He ended up buying a Kameo from me for $10. So I recouped some of my purchase and made a couple bucks from what I bought it for from KMart.

Beat up copy of The Legend of Zelda
Mario 3
Ice Hockey
Jackal
$2

Teanage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
Double Dragon II (Plastic Case & Manuals)
$2

Boston Acoustics 3 Piece Computer Speakers
RCA Hand Held Digital Voice Recorder Brand New
$7

D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router
$.50

Edit: Pictures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/1866292325/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/1867130992/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/1866316973/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/1867155812/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/1866375197/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/1866346887/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/1867185356/

I added some of my previous week scores, including the Turbografx games. I made a trade with snotknocker on Splatterhouse so it is not pictured.

Everything is getting really slow only a couple of sales with game stuff.

First sale I went to I asked for games and this guy tells me he has tons of stuff so he starts bringing it outside and he has at least ten different systems so I'm thinking he must have some decent to rare games but alas there was not too much and I ended up spending 45 minutes going through stuff and trying to match up cables. After some hard haggling I got the following:

Complete Games
SMS Great Baseball
SMS Great Basketball
SMS Great Football
SMS Gangster Town
SMS Vigilante
SMS Rambo 1st Blood Part 2
SMS Monopoly
32X Doom
Gen Sonic 3
Gen Sonic Spinball
SCD NFL Greatest SF vs Dalas 78-93
SCD Ecco Tides of Time
SCD Bill Walsh College Football
SCD Jurassic Park
SCD Joe Montana NFL Football
SCD Loadstar

Cart Only Games

32X Virtua Fighter
NES Big Bird's Hide and Speak (with manual)
Excitebike 64
Mario 64
Atari Planet Patrol
SCD Prize Fighter

Darkman, Bad Dudes and TMNT NES Manuals
PS1 AV Cable

Atari 7800 with 2 Joysticks, Manual and Power Cable
SMS with 2 controllers, Gun, and Power Cord

$25

Gameshark N64 CIB

FREE

Donkey Konga with Bongos

9$ (too much I know but it is the only large box I didnt have)

10"-12" Tall Remote Control Mario Kart 64 Yoshi CIB

5$ this thing is awesome and I was psyched to find it. never seen one before. The box is so big I have no idea where I am going to put it.

Was at the flea market the other day and hit the jackpot.
1. Metal Gear Solid Complete (Black Label) $5
2. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete (All complete with map, hardcover book and slip case) $5
3. Castlevania SOTN Complete (Black Label) $5
4. FF7 Complete (Black Label) $5

Asked the guy how much PS games were and he said 10 a piece, I talked him down to 5 though with a CIF technique.
My hand wouldnt stop shaking as I handed him the $20 Lol
He had some other semi-rare titles (FF8, FF9, etc) I wished I would have snatched, but I'm still happy with what I got!
Good Luck Out There!

[quote name='PooperScooper1900']Was at the flea market the other day and hit the jackpot.
1. Metal Gear Solid Complete (Black Label) $5
2. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete (All complete with map, hardcover book and slip case) $5
3. Castlevania SOTN Complete (Black Label) $5
4. FF7 Complete (Black Label) $5

Asked the guy how much PS games were and he said 10 a piece, I talked him down to 5 though with a CIF technique.
My hand wouldnt stop shaking as I handed him the $20 lol
He had some other semi-rare titles (FF8, FF9, etc) I wished I would have snatched, but I'm still happy with what I got!
Good Luck Out There![/quote]

:applause: Nice haul!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back