OFFICIAL 2007 Yard Sale thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='snotknocker']

So I got in my car and was examining condition on the games I just bought and about 5 min goes by
[/quote]

:shock: ...did i read that right...its supposed to be hit and run not sit and examine until after the sales are done:lol:

[quote name='Jedi1979']:shock: ...did i read that right...its supposed to be hit and run not sit and examine until after the sales are done:lol:[/quote]

Let me elaborate a bit,

When I was inspecting these games before purchase I opened up Soulcalibur and SF collection. the discs were totally scratch free, so fine that it actually gave me a little bit of a hard on. (yes, I do have a life! :D

Once the deal was done I could not fight back the anticipation of checking out the condition of the rest, that and the fact that I did not have any of these particular games in my collection, I could not resist.

[quote name='ragtop70']We all know that as long as you get what you want lying is ok, right? If I had to lie to get my gaming deals, I'd go without.[/QUOTE]

And flea market sellers DON'T lie? These sellers are for the most part, professional profiteers who intend to squeeze every dollar they can get out of you. They go high, you go low, they lie about how much they paid for it and what great condition its in, you lie about how much money you have on you and pretend to be not all that interested in buying it, its all part of the game.

[quote name='dinovelvet']And flea market sellers DON'T lie? These sellers are for the most part, professional profiteers who intend to squeeze every dollar they can get out of you. They go high, you go low, they lie about how much they paid for it and what great condition its in, you lie about how much money you have on you and pretend to be not all that interested in buying it, its all part of the game.[/quote]

two wrongs make a right for you, huh? good luck with that.

Allyourblood, Dinovelvet, RagTop70, PitfallHarry... ah be quiet. He lied about not having one dollar, big fuckin' deal. If they didn't want to take $14 they didn't have to. We've all lied before, there's no reason to whine on a message board about it.

Anyway, SnotKnocker or EvilMax, what are the best haggling strategies? EvilMax, you talked someone down to $5 from $50? How the hell did you pull that off? Do you guys inform them about how unvaluable their games are or something? I awlays think to do that, but something tells me they'll get offended.

Everybody has different morals. If you think you have "good" morals, then that's great for you, but don't try to impose them onto other people.

[quote name='ddrisgood137']Allyourblood, Dinovelvet, RagTop70, PitfallHarry... ah be quiet. [/quote]

ah no. i have as much right to decry it as you do to justify it. this is an open forum, and we'll all continue to share our opinions, just as you have done. thanks.

[quote name='MisterModest']Everybody has different morals. If you think you have "good" morals, then that's great for you, but don't try to impose them onto other people.[/quote]
alright, and you don't tell other people what to do, okay?

sheesh, some of you guys can be so delicate.

[quote name='allyourblood']ah no. i have as much right to decry it as you do to justify it. this is an open forum, and we'll all continue to share our opinions, just as you have done. thanks.[/quote]
Well, I'm sorry if you were concerned about your rights (?), as you should obviously feel free to post anything you feel like on message boards. I'm aware of that and never once intended to bring it up. I truly apologize if you feel I did. But please, a third of the posts in this thread are just people bickering about what's right or wrong. It's no fun to read, especially if it's concerning conning someone out of a dollar. Sure, I wouldn't pull that, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to read about how terrible it is. This isn't thread for starting arguments, yo!

This was an alright weekend for me. I have a few highlights that I will share

I thought I would get some early morning yard sales in before I had to be at work so I decided to drive around. I found these lunchboxed marked $3 each at one sale I pulled up to. They were:

Holly Hobbie
Chalies Angels
Fox and the Hound
Disney Express

All of them had themoses as well. I tried to CIF her $7 but we settles on $10 which was still a good deal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/528279668/

While out yard saling, I ran across these games. I ended up picking up:

Wild Arms (PS1)
007 Tomorrow Never Dies (PS1)
Agile Warrior F-IIIX (PS1)
PacMan (GG)
Sonic Chaos (GG)

I also picked up a Game Gear Carrying case (not pictured)

She had each game marked for $1 so that was a little to rich for my blood so I offered her $3 for the entire lot. She immediatly took it and I walked happily back to the car with my new treasures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/528368891/

So I pull up to this house which is in the middle of nowhere. There were a couple signs so I though I would check it out. The house looked like it was from Deliverance minus the banjo kid. So I start snooping through the good and this guy appears out of nowhere asking if I needed help. I picked out the following games:

GTA2 (PS1)
Side Pocket (GG)
The Little Mermaid (GB)

There were no prices on anything so I offered $1 for hte whole lot. It was taken without hesitation and then made sure to leave without hesitation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/528368597/

This was the first Turbo Grafx 16 purchase I have ever made, let alone the first TG16 game I had ever seen. I ended up seeing this at a Thrift store. I ended up picking up this title, Double Dungeons, complete in the case, for $2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/528278740/

Now if I could find a TG16 system somewhere I would be in business.

[quote name='allyourblood']ah no. i have as much right to decry it as you do to justify it. this is an open forum, and we'll all continue to share our opinions, just as you have done. thanks.[/quote]
Actually the only "right" you have is to voice your opinions that pertain to the thread your posting in.

[quote name='allyourblood']alright, and you don't tell other people what to do, okay?[/QUOTE]
I didn't.

Pretty Good Stuff Today

Genesis 2 with all hookups
1$

Genesis 2 with all hookups
Toy Story
Wrestlemania in Box
Steering Wheel for PS2/XB/GC
Atari CX-2600 in Box
Combat in Box
Basketball in Box
Space Invaders in Box
Outlaw Complete
5$

I dont really collect Atari Stuff so if anyone wants to buy/trade let me know

GC Games Complete
Monsters Inc
4x4 Evo 2
Scooby Doo
3$

Gameboy Color System
Brain Drain
Casper
Earthworm Jim
3$

Guides
Luigi's Mansion
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Gran Turismo 3
Pokemon Official Nintendo Players Guide
SOCOM
NBA Jam SNES Manual
$3.50

Psychic Force PS1
1$

And the really good stuff now

Beverly Hills Cop Box Set 1-3
$.50

ALF Season 2 DVD Sealed
2$

62 Mostly High End Jazz Cds
10$

Crown Jewel of the Day

Ps2 Games
NHL 06
Tiger Woods 04
Simpsons Hit and Run
Fantastic Four
2 Mega Man TV Series Box Sets
92 Dragon Ball DVDs
125$

The guy originally wanted 5$ a DVD and 15$ a game but he went all the way down to 125 for everything. I like Dragon Ball but I will probably end up trading them in or selling them after I watch them as I dont need another 100 DVDs to store

Didn't find anything yesterday. Street fair in Tarrytown had a bunch of educational stuff and old VHS tapes. Several enterprising families set up tag sales at the end of the street fair but all I found was an overpriced Spider Man 2 (PS2). They wanted nothing less than five bucks so I walked out empty handed.

My brother and I visited a Goodwill in a town about an hour and a half away and we found the following:

Super Nintendo, (1) Controller, (1) A/C Adapter - 9.99
Mortal Kombat (SNES) - 0.99
Super Mario World (SNES) - 0.99
Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) - 0.99
Stunt Race FX (SNES) - 0.99

Both of the Mario games were doubles for me so if anyone wants to trade PM me... I'm looking for some NES games!

[quote name='ddrisgood137']EvilMax, you talked someone down to $5 from $50? How the hell did you pull that off?[/QUOTE]

I was actually wondering the same thing myself! (Seller got owned on that exchange bad lol)

I think when it comes to haggling it'll only take you so far in a sense as it's not going to work on everyone or you'll only lower the price so much depending many variables in any situation, every seller being just a little bit different. One time I actually tried to CIF a guy $5 for a cart only Mega Bomberman, Booger Man & Genesis Multitap which he didn't take and that would seem like a weak deal compared to some of the finds in this thread but this guy didin't really want to let go of this stuff for anything less then what he though was within a reasonable amount of what it was worth which he was obviously clueless of. He also said it was his boy's favorite game on the Genesis (Mega Bomberman) even though this stuff was from a box of Genesis stuff he found in the attic when I asked about video games at this sale.

While you really can't put finding good video games at yardsales (and cheap) into any kind of science I can't help but think that afew people here are farming better land!

SnotKnocker, EvilMax & Moiety I was just wondering do you guys have any games stores around that sell retro games? I was just wondering because I'd think that they probably would have alot of old games sitting around (especially if the prices are high) just judging from the amount of stuff you find at yardsale (especially for Snot since I know he said before it's rather crowded in his area)

Congrats also EvilMax & Moiety you guys had some decent finds this year but I was thinking that maybe things have been drying up in your area and you had your first holy shit find of the year this weekend I'd say lol

[quote name='FOnewearl']Congrats also EvilMax & Moiety you guys had some decent finds this year but I was thinking that maybe things have been drying up in your area and you had your first holy shit find of the year this weekend I'd say lol[/quote]
lol, we've wondered the same thing! But no matter the outcome of this season, at least we'll have fun out there. It's almost a hobby for us, and part of the fun is never knowing what (if anything!) you'll bring home. :)

[quote name='MisterModest']Actually the only "right" you have is to voice your opinions that pertain to the thread your posting in.[/quote]
that's incorrect, but even if it were completely accurate, that's exactly what i did.

I didn't.
"...don't try to impose them onto other people" sounds like a command to me.

getting myself back on topic (sorry to the regulars), here are this past weekend's finds:

GBA Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP carrying case, $1

14 NES titles
Blue Marlin, Mario Bros., Base Wars, Duck Hunt, Ten-Yard Fight, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Ring King, Super Mario Bros., Gyromite, Ikari Warriors, Track & Field, 1942, POW
4 Genesis titles
Sonic Spinball, Jammit, Mortal Kombat II, World Series Baseball
NES Zapper
NES "Dog Bone" controller
NES standard controller, all for $7

we hit a lot of sales this week, but didn't find much at all. hopefully next weekend will be better.

[quote name='FOnewearl']
SnotKnocker, EvilMax & Moiety I was just wondering do you guys have any games stores around that sell retro games? I was just wondering because I'd think that they probably would have alot of old games sitting around (especially if the prices are high) just judging from the amount of stuff you find at yardsale (especially for Snot since I know he said before it's rather crowded in his area)

[/quote]

There's one indy game store close by that sells new and old and most of his old stuff sits and sits. his prices compare to ebay prices. The store is in a seedier neighborhood which sure contributes to his turnaroud.

As far as the haggling goes there are many factors invloved on how to approach any given situation.

A couple of good tips.

Check the prices of non-gaming goods. a high percentage of the time if non-gaming goods are cheap, gaming related items will be too.

When the situation seems right try and make a low ball CIF offer without asking "how much" You would be surprised how many people just take the cash. Sometimes they'll come back with a counter and then try and counter them to meet somewhere in the middle. Once you show interest they'll try and bang you for a few more bucks but will settle for less. this could work against you if the seller was looking for less than what you offer. I usually CIF a very unreasonable amount for the items

Try and strike up a little conversation with the seller.
"How you doing, nice day for a yardsale"
If they have little kids complinment how cute they are even if they're butt ugly.
Pet the friendly dog!
Compliment their house if it's nice!
Basically do what you have to to come off as a nice guy from the getgo.
This is pretty easy for me cause I have a very outgoing personality.

Another good haggleing point is flaws in the goods. dirt ripped labels missing plugs are all things that could bring the price down .

Some people are clueless about there stuff and will ask $5 on common cart games, I often find myself saying "WOW! that's pretty steep, I pick these things up all the time for .25 or .50 a piece. sometimes they bite, sometimes they don't

When you get in a situations when they're asking more than you want to pay try different things. The only thing you got to lose is an overpriced game.
Bottom line is if you want it bad enough you will pay.

Whenever possible CIF! CIF! CIF! Have your money ready in your pocket. I usually wear cargo shorts with lots of pockets and seperate my bills into tidy little bundles of different denominations so I can quickly and easily (and non-chalantly) put my hand in my pocket and pull out the exact amount I want to offer. The element of surprise with a perfectly timed CIF offer can produce great deals. This holds true for any item. I get great non-gaming deals weekly but do not usually post them because of time

Remember too, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You may get shot down but eventually you'll score.

[quote name='allyourblood']that's incorrect, but even if it were completely accurate, that's exactly what i did.[/quote]
No it wasn't.

[quote name='allyourblood']"...don't try to impose them onto other people" sounds like a command to me.[/quote]
I can't help the way things "sound" to you.

[quote name='allyourblood']yes it was.[/quote]
Ugh. I'll finish the rest of this, "No, it wasn't, Yes, it was", etc.

[quote name='allyourblood']okay, i'll ditch the "sounds" part. that WAS a command.[/quote]
No, you only said it "sounds" like a command to you. That implies a shadow of doubt. Don't go changing your tune when your ship is sinking.

Found a Gamecom and Logitech Rumblepad 2, both in great condition, for $3 and $2 respectively. I also picked up a light-up USB keyboard for my 360 for $3.

I nearly fell over at one sale where I found an Xbox with only a few cables and a non-standard controller, both in meh shape, and they were asking $70 frickin' dollars. I swear, people see eBay prices or new prices and expect to get that...

[quote name='ddrisgood137']Well, I'm sorry if you were concerned about your rights (?), as you should obviously feel free to post anything you feel like on message boards. I'm aware of that and never once intended to bring it up. I truly apologize if you feel I did. But please, a third of the posts in this thread are just people bickering about what's right or wrong. It's no fun to read, especially if it's concerning conning someone out of a dollar. Sure, I wouldn't pull that, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to read about how terrible it is. This isn't thread for starting arguments, yo![/quote]

Seconded.

Also, right to privacy -- what business is it of anyone exactly how much cash you are carrying?

No more arguing.

I bought an odd atari 2600 accessory a few days ago: A game switchbox. It allows you to have 6 games plugged in at once! I paid $5 for it. It was a little more than I was willing to pay, But I never saw one before.

Just got back from 3 Salvation Army's and 1 Goodwill. Only found Tiny Tank and Syphon Filter for PS1. Paid $1 each. Took about 1:30 to make the trek. Not bad though.

[quote name='snotknocker']Pet the friendly dog!
[/quote]
I always enjoy coming up to a sale where there's a friendly dog (or even cat) hanging around. :)

It's a good idea to be friendly/smiling when you walk up to a sale. Greet the seller(s), comment on the weather, etc., as you walk around. A seller is more willing to part with something for less if they like you. It's not a sure-fire tactic, but it helps.

[quote name='moiety']I always enjoy coming up to a sale where there's a friendly dog (or even cat) hanging around. :)

It's a good idea to be friendly/smiling when you walk up to a sale. Greet the seller(s), comment on the weather, etc., as you walk around. A seller is more willing to part with something for less if they like you. It's not a sure-fire tactic, but it helps.[/quote]

That is how I got asked to leave my number with two different moms who were just friends of the person putting on the sale. Sometimes it is just about being polite, give off a good vibe.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']No more arguing.[/quote]

not even a little? ;)

i can be the bigger man and let him have the last word. i'm done. sorry folks.

[quote name='snotknocker']Have your money ready in your pocket. I usually wear cargo shorts with lots of pockets and seperate my bills into tidy little bundles of different denominations so I can quickly and easily (and non-chalantly) put my hand in my pocket and pull out the exact amount I want to offer.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that alot of the regular yardsaling CAGs have some kind of format with how they keep bills seperated in their pockets. I usually keep a $20 in my back right pocket, $10 in my back left, $5 in my front left & singles in my front right (with maybe afew bundles bunched up 2 together, 4 together etc. if I have enough 1s) I don't carry a wallet ever so I don't when I'm out bargin hunting either.

i havent yardsaled much since i wiork everydamn saturday, but pawn shops have been my salvation
spiderman 3 ps2 8 dollars (traded for 22 cash)
hitman blood money xbx 6.00
family guy game 6.00
the dvd atl 3.00
thats just since friday, to me 3.00 for a dvd is a great price could not rent for that

[quote name='camelking6969']i havent yardsaled much since i wiork everydamn saturday, but pawn shops have been my salvation
spiderman 3 ps2 8 dollars (traded for 22 cash)
hitman blood money xbx 6.00
family guy game 6.00
the dvd atl 3.00
thats just since friday, to me 3.00 for a dvd is a great price could not rent for that[/quote]

nice deal on spiderman3, thats a relativly new release

While I skipped yardsailing this week, the pawn shop and thrift store finds seem to be good (All complete).

Rogue Galaxy $10 (saw this twice in a week at this price so I took the plunge)
Baldur's Gate II XBX $8
Gradius V $6

Lunar Eternal Blue Hardcover strategy guide - $3
Oagre Battle 64, Cart only $3

I haven't found any good yard sales in my area of St. Louis. I did find some DC games at Schnucks, it a grocery store. Each game was a dollar:
Kiss psycho circus, Space channel 5, Ecco the dolphin, and Magforce racing. $4 for four games seemed good to me.

Otherguy676 - congratulations, you magnificent bastard.

Nice grab on the Lunar guide. If you don't plan to use it, let me know if we can work out a sale or trade... I've been trying to get this guide for my friends to use on the rough spots of Lunar 2, but so far I've failed. Miserably.

[rich fanboys make the internet suck]

Yesterday's Finds
$1 Star Wars a new hope 2 disk soundtrack (this might be the original one)
$1 Blazing Dragons ps1 (I got this since it has the voices from two of the Monty Python guys)

Today's Finds

$4 for 4 N64 games: Paper Mario, Starfox 64, and Mario Party 1&2
$3 for a red n64 controller, green n64 controller, Supermario 64, and 3 gameboy pokemon games (a red, a blue, and a yellow one)

I didn't get too much today. I passed on a lot of the stuff and only picked up the stuff I had to have. I didn't have much luck at the first few sales and neighborhoods. I found this one group of neighborhoods and did pretty well. I only managed to find two sales with games, but I did good at both. I had to stop before finishing all the neighborhoods since I was running out of money and had other arrands to run.

I dropped by a pawn shop and picked up a wavebird for $10. I'd post pictures of my finds, but I can't find my camera.

By the way, great finds Otherguy676. I'd love to pick up that Lunar Guide for a good deal like that. That's also a good deal on Rouge Galaxy.

I'm going to a pawn shop that is closing. I bought two new n64 controllers off him for $20 a few weeks ago, he'll be desperate to sell stuff so I'm going to CIF him $1 for a dreamcast fishing controller.

Got a copy of almost new Cranium for $2, he had it selling for $5 but I CIFed him for $2.

It's a great game to play wasted.

[quote name='snotknocker']There's one indy game store close by that sells new and old and most of his old stuff sits and sits. his prices compare to ebay prices. The store is in a seedier neighborhood which sure contributes to his turnaroud.

As far as the haggling goes there are many factors invloved on how to approach any given situation.

A couple of good tips.

Check the prices of non-gaming goods. a high percentage of the time if non-gaming goods are cheap, gaming related items will be too.

When the situation seems right try and make a low ball CIF offer without asking "how much" You would be surprised how many people just take the cash. Sometimes they'll come back with a counter and then try and counter them to meet somewhere in the middle. Once you show interest they'll try and bang you for a few more bucks but will settle for less. this could work against you if the seller was looking for less than what you offer. I usually CIF a very unreasonable amount for the items

Try and strike up a little conversation with the seller.
"How you doing, nice day for a yardsale"
If they have little kids complinment how cute they are even if they're butt ugly.
Pet the friendly dog!
Compliment their house if it's nice!
Basically do what you have to to come off as a nice guy from the getgo.
This is pretty easy for me cause I have a very outgoing personality.

Another good haggleing point is flaws in the goods. dirt ripped labels missing plugs are all things that could bring the price down .

Some people are clueless about there stuff and will ask $5 on common cart games, I often find myself saying "WOW! that's pretty steep, I pick these things up all the time for .25 or .50 a piece. sometimes they bite, sometimes they don't

When you get in a situations when they're asking more than you want to pay try different things. The only thing you got to lose is an overpriced game.
Bottom line is if you want it bad enough you will pay.

Whenever possible CIF! CIF! CIF! Have your money ready in your pocket. I usually wear cargo shorts with lots of pockets and seperate my bills into tidy little bundles of different denominations so I can quickly and easily (and non-chalantly) put my hand in my pocket and pull out the exact amount I want to offer. The element of surprise with a perfectly timed CIF offer can produce great deals. This holds true for any item. I get great non-gaming deals weekly but do not usually post them because of time

Remember too, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You may get shot down but eventually you'll score.[/QUOTE]

Remember the Golden Rule of being a yardsale buyer. The stuff is out there to get rid of and not to make a profit out of unlike retail markets. They want the stuff GONE!

$3- Ps2 Games and N64 game

PS2:
- Mortal Kombat: DA in a Spyhunter case
- NFS: Underground
- GTA III
- ATV Offroad Fury 2

N64:
- Namco Museum 64

$.50
Genesis:
- Outlander
- NFL 95

$1
- Gamecube controller

Photo15.jpg

More competition has been found this morning. Another man, about 34ish. I saw him last week at the flea market when I bought that huge box of crap. He was at my very first sale of the day. But, I still snagged 4 Ps2 games and a N64 Game. Nice guy, we both wished each other luck and I didn't see him the rest of the day. I CIF $3 for the package, they took it.

I found the 2 Genesis games for $0.25 a piece at a sale with seemingly no games at it, just those two.

I proceeded to hit about 12 more sales (weather was bad) and finally found a Gamecube Controller for $2 but I CIF $1 and they took it.

All in all not too bad of a day, I needed another GC controller and the Ps2 games help my collection a bit. Hopefully the rain holds for the fleamarket tomorrow as well.

About first five sales were bust and was about to call it a day until I went by a house further into the county.

I picked up The Movies for $5 and Rise & Fall: Civilizations At War for free since the gentleman didn't know if Rise & Fall had a fourth disc.

I then went to other yard sales and manage to pick up a SNES, two controllers, RF cords, and a bag full of games for $10. Just hooked it up and the SNES works.

The games were as follows:

Super Mario World (x2)
Super Tennis
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
Super Battleship
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 2
Winter Olympic Games
NHL '94
WWF Royal Rumble
Mortal Kombat 3
TMNT Tournament Fighters
Home Alone 2
Wing Commander
WWF Super WrestleMania
Super Star Wars
Cliffhanger :barf:
Aerobiz Supersonic (!)

DKC2 and TMNT Tournament Fighters can command $9.99 on half/ebay. Aerobiz Supersonic could fetch $25 or more. Amazing.

I picked up Hexen and Gex for PC for $0.50 total.

I went by another sale that has PS1 and N64 games and a N64 system that will I call back later about.

I would say today hasn't been that great for videogames at yard sales....maybe towards the end of the month, it might get better.

Went to Gamerush and got these:

:ps2:Choro Q ($4.99)
:gc:Skies of Arcadia Legends ($16.99)

After lunch I went a pawn shop and got these for $15 total:
:ps2:Jade Cocoon 2
:ps2:Bloody Roar 4

Quick Question: Today I was out buying. Picked up a few things. But at one yard sale, Two college girls and one of the girls mothers were selling a graphing calculator and some cd's. I picked up the calculator (Ti-83 that she got 5 years ago when she was a freshman in high school) and 3 cds. The calculator was marked $40, the cds $2 a pop. I tried haggling $30 for all. But of course, I'm not used to haggling and not confident enough for CIF, so they saw me, looked offended(!) and said they'd take $40 for all. I responded with $35 but they refused to budge. Now based on what you know, was it the way I handled it or the people with the price in mind that kept the haggling low? I ended up getting it btw, so I only saved $6.

What should I have done? Pics later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back