Official 2008 Olympics Thread (FINAL:USA most medals, China most golds)

Olympics during finals week is the worst thing ever

I wish there were some feasible way for the games to be on demand for the entire year.. in HD.. all 1700 hours that NBC has. There's just too much to ever consider watching in a single week.

ouch, that was a scary performance for the poor girl....

Man, i feel bad you have finals? what type of school are you at?

anyway, i love watching the olympics... soooooo awesome.... i do wish they showed more of the less known sports such as archery, weightlifting, etc

I'm taking summer classes on a quarter system, summer quarter is only 8 weeks -- and actually, there's no real finals week for summer quarter here, finals are just on the last day of instruction (which is this Thursday). If only the games started a week later...

A big thanks goes out to Alicia Sacramone for losing the gold medal for the team, not unlike a select few men losing the silver medal for the men's team last night.

Falling off the beam, then botching a pass on floor and finishing it all off with a nice step out of bounds at the very end- good show, Alicia, good show.

[quote name='Rocko']Alicia Sacramone[/QUOTE]

I was gonna defend her a bit because I thought she was kinda hot, but then I saw this:

Alicia_Sacramone_Nationals.JPG

Ew.

Yeah, bitch sucks.

[quote name='Rocko']A big thanks goes out to Alicia Sacramone for losing the gold medal for the team, not unlike a select few men losing the silver medal for the men's team last night.

Falling off the beam, then botching a pass on floor and finishing it all off with a nice step out of bounds at the very end- good show, Alicia, good show.[/quote]
She must feel pretty bad after messing up on the last 2 events, at least Harold and Kumar could share the blame from losing the silver lastnight.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']If those girls are underage, why are they allowed to compete and win?[/quote]
The Chinese government provides them with all the necessary documentation showing that they are either 16 years old or will be 16 this year.

Can't really prove otherwise.

[quote name='Rocko']The Chinese government provides them with all the necessary documentation showing that they are either 16 years old or will be 16 this year.

Can't really prove otherwise.[/quote]

Even if everybody knows they are underage, there's nothing anyone can do about it?

That sucks.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']Even if everybody knows they are underage, there's nothing anyone can do about it?

That sucks.[/quote]

The government pretty much kidnaps the girls, from what I understand, at ages as young as 2 or 3, to train extensively (living together in a facility with little to no contact with family for years) for gymnastics. From there I'd imagine they take care of whatever records need to be altered, especially for these games so they had the best chance of winning at home.

[quote name='Rocko']The government pretty much kidnaps the girls, from what I understand, at ages as young as 2 or 3, to train extensively (living together in a facility with little to no contact with family for years) for gymnastics. From there I'd imagine they take care of whatever records need to be altered, especially for these games so they had the best chance of winning at home.[/quote]

That's horrible. And, theres nothing anybody can do about it?

One has to wonder with world records being broken in every single race, how rampant must doping be? We already have proof of dopers competing (with US blessing) in the 70's and 80's, and yet today's athletes are smashing all of those records by large margins. With stuff like the relay where five teams break the record, two teams break it by like four seconds... it's really hard to believe natural guys are smashing dopers' records by such large margins, and so often.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']That's horrible. And, theres nothing anybody can do about it?[/quote]

An announcer mentioned that parents encourage it due to the rewards/honor it would bring a family to have their child be successful.

He specifically mentioned one member of this women's team calling home and saying she wanted to leave and come home and her parents wouldn't allow it.

[quote name='Koggit']One has to wonder with world records being broken in every single race, how rampant must doping be? We already have proof of dopers competing (with US blessing) in the 70's and 80's, and yet today's athletes are smashing all of those records by large margins. With stuff like the relay where five teams break the record, two teams break it by like four seconds... it's really hard to believe natural guys are smashing dopers' records by such large margins, and so often.[/quote]

Isn't every team using those new, specially designed suits by Speedo that are especially hydrodynamic?

[quote name='Rocko']An announcer mentioned that parents encourage it due to the rewards/honor it would bring a family to have their child be successful.

He specifically mentioned one member of this women's team calling home and saying she wanted to leave and come home and her parents wouldn't allow it.[/quote]

Wow.

I hope something is done about this.

It's not that bad. There are government run training programs, and most parents would like their children to go to them. Many parents force their children to go even if they don't want to (just as some parents force their children into Hollywood for acting/modeling/music, or even forcing their kids to join sports teams/clubs at school). It's not evil kidnapping.

[quote name='Rocko']Isn't every team using those new, specially designed suits by Speedo that are especially hydrodynamic?[/QUOTE]

Yep. I heard an interview with the CEO of Speedo who said that the company brought something like 3500 suits with them to the Olympics and every single swimmer was given the option to wear one, plus they're approved by the Olympic committee. Can you imagine if the committee approved doping and offered every athlete some drugs? :D

[quote name='Rocko']Isn't every team using those new, specially designed suits by Speedo that are especially hydrodynamic?[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but the pool they're using is a meter deeper than usual.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93490153

"It's physics and it's not sports, but it makes sense," says Christine Brennan, a veteran of 13 Olympics and an Olympics columnist for USA Today. "You make a deeper and a wider pool, and you ... give all of those waves and all of that splashing and all of that moving water a chance to move away from the swimmers and get out of their way, which makes them go faster. It's as simple as that."

[quote name='Rocko']A big thanks goes out to Alicia Sacramone for losing the gold medal for the team, not unlike a select few men losing the silver medal for the men's team last night.

Falling off the beam, then botching a pass on floor and finishing it all off with a nice step out of bounds at the very end- good show, Alicia, good show.[/QUOTE]

Right. Because her 1.6 points in deductions would overcome the 2.6 points (or whatever it was) gap the Chinese team had over America.

The only way we'd take gold is if China had faltered many, many times and all our girls had performed flawlessly.

Short of the Chinese team spontaneously combusting out of nowhere and for no reason, we weren't going to take the gold. By the time their last athlete went out on the floor, she basically had to get 8 points to secure gold, which she probably did just by showing up.

Situation was mostly the same last night for the men, although those screw-ups on the 'horse really hurt a lot more. It doesn't help that the event is low-scoring. Really the thing to take from it was that the last one to go - the one with the Russian sounding name - was badass, and was outperforming every last damn person there, seemingly all teams included. Whereas I saw his teammates flail around, this dood was upside down and - if you watch in slow motion - was actually hovering in mid-air, while also solving a Rubik's cube.

Also, that ...I think his name was Jonathon Horton....dude was a monster. Spring did a good job as well, but this Horton guy was on an entirely different level.

What's with all the China bashing from the commentators last night. They present the age thing as if it's proven fact that they are 14, but I haven't seen any proof (if it's out there someone please point me to it because I am curious how you prove that). Also how big an advantage is being 14? The best girl on the Chinese team was 20 I thought they said.

Then the whole comment about wanting to go home was dumb. Most American kids who go away for just a summer camp call their parents wanting to go home but don't. One call does not make a controversy.

[quote name='happy']What's with all the China bashing from the commentators last night. They present the age thing as if it's proven fact that they are 14, but I haven't seen any proof (if it's out there someone please point me to it because I am curious how you prove that). Also how big an advantage is being 14? The best girl on the Chinese team was 20 I thought they said.

Then the whole comment about wanting to go home was dumb. Most American kids who go away for just a summer camp call their parents wanting to go home but don't. One call does not make a controversy.[/QUOTE]

Well the athletes can't complain about China, so the commentators do.

They've been doing that a lot. They also did that after the US/Korea boxing match. They were saying something about how they need young gamers keeping score, since they're good at pushing buttons, not these old guys who apparently press the wrong buttons.

[quote name='Strell']Right. Because her 1.6 points in deductions would overcome the 2.6 points (or whatever it was) gap the Chinese team had over America.[/quote]

Her performances obviously shook the whole team. It sends a ripple through the whole thing when they knew they needed to perform really well and she makes not one but two major mistakes.

I've also noticed all of the inappropriate China hate, it's pathetic. It's not just from the announcers -- it's also from the average American viewer.

[quote name='Rocko']Her performances obviously shook the whole team. It sends a ripple through the whole thing when they knew they needed to perform really well and she makes not one but two major mistakes.[/QUOTE]

Zzzzzz. So that excuses their choking? You've got such a good scapegoat thing going with this one chick that suddenly the other girls - who had their own share of faults - get a pass?

This sounds like the logic you hear when the kicker for a football team "loses" the game because he didn't make the last-second field goal, even in the midst of a dozen dropped passes, multiple interceptions, and all the other mistakes that occur during the beginning/middle/almost-end of a game. It's as if nothing else but the final two minutes matter, and all the glorious fuck-ups prior are whisked away in favor of bitching out someone who bore little to no impact on the final score.

Again - just like with the men - by the time they'd reached the final rotation, China was in full command, and they were performing on an event where they excelled and could pull high scores.

All the girls could do at that point was not collectively screw up to go down into bronze territory, since the only other option was to - again - hope that the entire Chinese team would suddenly evaporate into thin air.

Two screwups != losing the gold so much as it was giving China a more clear victory. But hey - feel free to believe your little spin of the situation is somehow so much more plausible, especially when I counted maybe 5 faults after those two big ones, which even then doesn't alter the standings.

[quote name='Strell']Zzzzzz. So that excuses their choking? You've got such a good scapegoat thing going with this one chick that suddenly the other girls - who had their own share of faults - get a pass?[/quote]

Of course not, but you can't deny that her mistakes had a negative effect on the team.

[quote name='happy']Also how big an advantage is being 14? The best girl on the Chinese team was 20 I thought they said.
[/QUOTE]

The advantage comes from having a larger pool of athletes to pick your best team from. Especially in China where they're snatching them up at 3 years old and training them intensively from there on.

Given that early start in training (think they said full, elite level training starts at 10 in the US) some of their best gymnists are going to be under 16 for any give Olympics. Thus the advantage comes in ignoring that, the government providing pass ports saying they're older, and being able to put their best team on the floor and not settling for their best team of 16+ year olds.

I've not seen proof, but there were a couple girls that were clearly not 16. Not that I really care one way or the other about gymnastics. But I do hate seeing countries win who take the olympics so seriously to take kids from their families at 3 years old etc.

That and I have a strong dislike of China since my girlfriend is from Taiwan...

[quote name='billyrox']i thought relations between China and Taiwan have improved....[/QUOTE]

Not really as China still considers Taiwan a rogue province rather than an independent nation.

Taiwan's new president just supports closer ties to China, but that pisses off a lot of people in Taiwan who want no relations without recognition of independence.

[quote name='happy']What's with all the China bashing from the commentators last night. They present the age thing as if it's proven fact that they are 14, but I haven't seen any proof (if it's out there someone please point me to it because I am curious how you prove that). Also how big an advantage is being 14? The best girl on the Chinese team was 20 I thought they said.

Then the whole comment about wanting to go home was dumb. Most American kids who go away for just a summer camp call their parents wanting to go home but don't. One call does not make a controversy.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of the Chinese captain of the team, I didn't think they looked anywhere close to 16. One or two of them looked 13 or 14 at the oldest. Of course it's not proof, but unless some Chinese official turns traitor we will never know.

I agree with Strell, Alicia didn't lose the gold medal for the US - granted she didn't have her best night, but that's being a bit harsh. Injuries helped, and we all know the Chinese were going to be an unbeatable machine to contend with.

Alicia Sacramone (a fellow Brunonian) has been the heart and soul leader of the women's gymnastics team all year. There's a reason most people were stunned by her mishaps, she's been steady as a rock for them. She alone can't be blamed. The Chinese were just better (and younger, zing).

Shawn Johnson was a beast on that beam..

[quote name='keithp']With the exception of the Chinese captain of the team, I didn't think they looked anywhere close to 16. One or two of them looked 13 or 14 at the oldest. Of course it's not proof, but unless some Chinese official turns traitor we will never know.[/quote]

This argument just doesn't work for me because they all look like they're below 16, I wouldn't even say the 20 year old captain looks 16, but I had a friend during undergrad from China who looked like she was 12 even after she was 21, so the idea that you can tell by appearance is just silly (especially for gymnasts who generally have underdeveloped bodies).

And the fact that they have the guy sitting in the studio stating it as fact that they are under 16 is just infuriating to me.

Also remember that the girl from China fell of the beam too.

The new excuse is that they made her wait too long before starting: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080813110636.ppigdozj&show_article=1

Gold ... silver... whatever... that Alicia Sacramone is pretty hot... just enjoyed the Womens Beach volleyball as May-Treanor/ Walsh easily disposed of a really attractive (but overmatched) duo of Norwegians

[quote name='happy']This argument just doesn't work for me because they all look like they're below 16, I wouldn't even say the 20 year old captain looks 16, but I had a friend during undergrad from China who looked like she was 12 even after she was 21, so the idea that you can tell by appearance is just silly (especially for gymnasts who generally have underdeveloped bodies).

And the fact that they have the guy sitting in the studio stating it as fact that they are under 16 is just infuriating to me.

Also remember that the girl from China fell of the beam too.

The new excuse is that they made her wait too long before starting: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080813110636.ppigdozj&show_article=1[/quote]
I found this article after a quick google search:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/sports/olympics/27gymnasts.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Highlight:
The Times found two online records of official registration lists of Chinese gymnasts that list He’s birthday as Jan. 1, 1994, which would make her 14. A 2007 national registry of Chinese gymnasts — now blocked in China but viewable through Google cache — shows He’s age as “1994.1.1.”

[quote name='chasemurata']Those women need to stop bitching. They flubbed many opportunities to take Gold. Team USA just seemed unfocused.[/quote]

+1 the complaining should stop

I have no idea how they score half this shit. Even watching women's synchro diving, the announcers see this dive that last all but 1.5 seconds and are commenting on every nanosecond of it before a replay is even shown.

[quote name='Koggit']China's kicking ass, 20 golds to our 10, the only thing we're really solid on is swimming.[/quote]

And softball. In fact, the U.S. is so dominate, it is a primary factor in removing it from the Olympics (which is bullshit).

When does the field games start? Track, pole vaulting, and all that?

And is boxing going to be on NBC or another of the 500 channels NBC is putting the "longer" competitions on?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']When does the field games start? Track, pole vaulting, and all that?

And is boxing going to be on NBC or another of the 500 channels NBC is putting the "longer" competitions on?[/quote]

Qualifiers and what not will start airing tomorrow, followed by more and more coverage from then to the end of the games.

To give you an idea of the USA's dominance in track and field, look at the all-time medal count in track.
Just the first 2 for comparison's sake:

Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
lUSA307 225 181 713
URS.gif
URS 71 66 77 214

bread's done
Back