Official 2008 Olympics Thread (FINAL:USA most medals, China most golds)

[quote name='zman73']Wow... cant believe the Swedish wrestler who threw down his bronze during the medal ceremony, and quit wrestling[/quote]
My friend told me about that.. Thats crazy.

[quote name='Koggit']I don't understand why they're showing an interview with Shawn and Nastia rather than, y'know, the Olympics. Normally they start showing the games at 8pm, it's almost 9 and still nothing but recap/interview.

Nastia Luiken? More like Nastier Lookin, amirite?[/quote]

This is my biggest peeve with NBC's coverage. I want to watch some actual sporting competition, but I have to sit staring at Bob Costas' freaking face for a half hour before anything ever comes on. I watch most stuff on their website sine you don't have to deal with announcer commentary and there's a large variety of sports.

Do people in other parts of the country get CBC? It's a Canadian channel, and I'm in Michigan, so wasn't sure if other states get it to. They're coverage is much better, including showing sports LIVE like the 100m dash in about 40min!!!!

Edit: First, kudos to Walter Dix for coming through with a bronze.
Second, what the hell is Usain Bolt capable of? He is a monster and shut it down with at least 15m left in the race. Incredibe.

Last edited by a moderator:
16 point lead going into halftime, feeling good about the pressure and intensity of our boys. Hopefully they can keep it up in the second half and not get into too much more foul trouble!

[quote name='Koggit']Phelps is very overrated. A great swimmer, yes, up there with the likes of Thorpe, Spitz, and Matt Biondi... but greatest athlete? Please. Even calling him the greatest swimmer would be debatable.

After Phelps' medal ceremony tonight they said something about an interview with Bob Costas, Phelps and Spitz... when is that? I'm about to watch a movie but don't want to miss the interview.[/quote]

Are you shittin' me?

Listen I love the Thorpedo as much as the next guy but he's dominating in EVERY stroke...I swam competitively in high school and i've never met anyone in my life who can dominate every stroke like Phelps can...

To compare it, it's like someone getting a quadruple-double in basketball on a daily basis....Phelps can dominate every stroke...

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The best part of the Olympics was an announcer calling some asian swimmer the best breast stroker of all time.[/QUOTE]

lolz

Anybody watching the women's Marathon? They showed the women who was in the lead, break out a container that was in her boob straps, and she started snorting it up her nose, the announcers are like...

Announcer A "It looks like she pulled something out the top of her suit"
Announcers B "She just sniff it, Im guessing its some type of smelling salt"
Announcer A "I never seen that before, but she has a huge 35 second lead over the rest of the women"

Are you fucken blind announcers? she just broke out a capsule of drugs and snorted it....its a fucken 35 second lead!!!

[quote name='Poor2More']Are you fucken blind announcers? she just broke out a capsule of coccain and snorted it....its a fucken 35 second lead!!![/quote]

No.

Dude, it's the marathon.

Now if it were the 100 meter dash, we'd have something to talk about.

Or a 35 second lead in the high jump. Shit be bangin' at that point.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Awesome to see history like that. As a huge sports fan I love seeing stuff like this happen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too. I agree with his teammates that this is a bigger acheivement than winning the Tour-de-France, or sinking a playoff putt at the US Open, or any other sports win you can think of. I think this record will probably stand for a LONG time. Amazing.

It's kind of a bullshit record though in the way they hold it over all the other athletes' heads. The other sports don't even have 7, let alone 8, events a person can compete in. If you didn't swim, you'd have to do multiple other sports to top this record. And that's impossible given how much someone has to train just to excel in a single sport. Greatest swimmer, yes. Greatest athlete? That's just not possible to gauge in relation to the other sports.

Flame shield, deploy!

[quote name='crunchb3rry']It's kind of a bullshit record though in the way they hold it over all the other athletes' heads. The other sports don't even have 7, let alone 8, events a person can compete in. If you didn't swim, you'd have to do multiple other sports to top this record. And that's impossible given how much someone has to train just to excel in a single sport. Greatest swimmer, yes. Greatest athlete? That's just not possible to gauge in relation to the other sports.

Flame shield, deploy![/QUOTE]

There may be more events to compete in for swimming, but you still have to WIN them. Not to mention that you have others you're depending on in the relays, and you also have to be the best in more than one stroke. I see what you're saying, but it's still an incredible achievement.

Yes, he did do great.

But I just saw Usain Bolt enter hyperspace and it got me to thinking this guy could do just as good if not better if there were more running events of that style. There's a lot of running events, but they're not comparable to swimming because of the cross country, hurdles, etc. Heck, they've even got a walking event!

Bolt was slowing down to celebrate before he even crossed the finish line. His coach needs to get on his ass for that. He could set world records that will potentially never be broken if he'd focus. He also tends to slow down turning his head to see who is in the other lanes, which creates wind resistance and slight deceleration.

We're probably going to lose on golds to China. Jamaica is going to pork our chance to catch up in running.

You totally missed the point. I'm not even really talking about Phelps, I'm talking about events. Specifically the number of events you can medal in within a sport. Swimming has tons of them. If you can swim you can rake in the medals (which we've seen). But if you are a gymnast, for example, you can only win team or solo for all-arounds, not individual events. See aforementioned reference to Usain Bolt.

Phelps is one of the greatest swimmers of all time, perhaps the greatest swimmer of all time.

Saying anything more than that is hyperbole.

Gymnastics has a possible 6 medals for women (Team, All-Around, the four individual apparatus) and 8 for men, I believe (Team, All-Around, and the six individual apparatus). And there's an unbelievable number of medals in running.

Did they do the individuals yet? Or is that saved for later? The medals page up on Google is only showing team and solo wins.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Did they do the individuals yet? Or is that saved for later? The medals page up on Google is only showing team and solo wins.[/quote]
No, they haven't done them yet.

Yep, I just checked, you're right. Starts tomorrow (er...today, the 17th). But something I noticed, they've got hockey listed at a sight I just checked for events. Is that a summer AND winter game?

I can't wait for boxing and table tennis.

I'm looking forward to table tennis too.

As far as hockey, are you sure it wasn't field hockey? They do have that.

they have to be talking about field hockey as ice hockey is only a winter sport, obviously.

Boxing has already started. They all ready did the prelim bouts and the first round of the elimination tournament

[quote name='Rocko']Gymnastics has a possible 6 medals for women (Team, All-Around, the four individual apparatus) and 8 for men, I believe (Team, All-Around, and the six individual apparatus). And there's an unbelievable number of medals in running.[/quote]

A ton of medals for running, yes. But, sprinting and distance are about as different as swimming and diving. They're two very different things you have to train for.

Site just said hockey, but I'm going to assume it's field hockey too.522222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 Sorry. Cat sat on the keyboard.

[quote name='Rocko']Gymnastics has a possible 6 medals for women (Team, All-Around, the four individual apparatus) and 8 for men, I believe (Team, All-Around, and the six individual apparatus). And there's an unbelievable number of medals in running.[/QUOTE]

How many does swimming have? 16? It looks like 16 golds have been given to male swimmers so far, and another 16 to female swimmers. I'd argue that mastering different swimming styles is no different than mastering different gymnastics.. things. But if I did that I'd be talking out of my ass.

[quote name='keithp']Yeah me too. I agree with his teammates that this is a bigger acheivement than winning the Tour-de-France, or sinking a playoff putt at the US Open, or any other sports win you can think of. I think this record will probably stand for a LONG time. Amazing.[/quote]It's all relative to your sport. A football player would consider winning the Superbowl a bigger achievement then the NBA Finals.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Site just said hockey, but I'm going to assume it's field hockey too.522222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 Sorry. Cat sat on the keyboard.[/quote]

You've managed to solidify your place as resident idiot in this thread. The US will dominate in track, and we lost in the 100m dash, big whoop. Do your homework before saying shit like we will get wiped by China in track. HAHA! Honestly, China will win 1 gold medal in track: Men's 110m High Hurdles.

Are you high?

1.) That quote doesn't have shit to do with what you are replying to.
2.) Point out to me where did I declare China would beat us in track? You are correct, China is not expected to win nothing much at all in track. China could sit on the sidelines drinking lemonade, if Jamaica beats us we get silver medals at best. Meaning China's lead over us in golds stays intact.

Who is el residente idiota now?

I dunno. "Greatest atheletic achievement ever" is kind of an opinionated thing. I think Armstrong's domination of the Tour de France is a pretty big deal, and could be held up as comparable.

Or what about the Iron Man? Or the Iditarod? Those are both as punishing-to-the-human-body as events go.

Where do you draw the line? Does getting to the top of Mt. Everest count? Swimming the English Channel? Are only olympic events considered?

There's tons of different ways to stress the body that are recognized as gigantic achievements. I'm even one of the people that's really pro-Phelps, and from a quantitative standpoint he's "the greatest athlete ever" in terms of having rewards to back it up. I'm just saying starting that we're nearing a little bit of hyperbole by suddenly taking all of sports into account.

[quote name='Koggit']Phelps is one of the greatest swimmers of all time, perhaps the greatest swimmer of all time.
[/QUOTE]

Bit early to start on the backpedaling, eh?

[quote name='Strell']I dunno. "Greatest atheletic achievement ever" is kind of an opinionated thing. I think Armstrong's domination of the Tour de France is a pretty big deal, and could be held up as comparable.

Or what about the Iron Man? Or the Iditarod? Those are both as punishing as events go.

Where do you draw the line? Does getting to the top of Mt. Everest count? Swimming the English Channel?

There's tons of different ways to stress the body that are recognized as gigantic achievements. I'm even one of the people that's really pro-Phelps, and from a quantitative standpoint he's "the greatest athlete ever" in terms of having rewards to back it up. I'm just saying starting that we're nearing a little bit of hyperbole by suddenly taking all of sports into account.

Bit early to start on the backpedaling, eh?[/quote]

I'd say it is more than a little hyperbole. That's getting beyond Bill Walton levels of hyperbole.

I think each athletic achievement should only be called "the greatest" in that particular sport, not across all sports. As great as Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, or Michael Jordan is, to call any of them the greatest "athlete" of all-time across all sports is absurd.

Tangent....

Calling any golfer an athlete is incredibly stupid to begin with. There is as much athleticsm in golf as there is in bowling, billiards, or shuffleboard.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
Calling any golfer an athlete is incredibly stupid to begin with. There is as much athleticsm in golf as there is in bowling, billiards, or shuffleboard.[/QUOTE]

Ya forgot Nascar there. :D

I think it's best to leave "greatest athlete" out of the discussion as it's impossible to compare across sports.

He's the greatest swimmer ever and the most decorated Olympian ever. That's the most that can be said with 100% no qualms IMO. I don't even like "greatest olympian" as it's tough to compare to people who dominated sports where they had no chance to compete in 7-8 events. But most decorated is an indisputable fact given he has the mark for most golds in a career and a single olympics.

That's taking nothing away from Phelps, IMO this was the most impressive atheletic achievement that I've witnessed in my lifetime--slightly edging out Armstrongs dominance of the Tour de France. But I'll only state that as my opinion and not toss out hyperbole.

Last edited by a moderator:
phelps2fk5.gif

[quote name='Strell']Bit early to start on the backpedaling, eh?[/QUOTE]

So this
[quote name='Koggit']Phelps is one of the greatest swimmers of all time, perhaps the greatest swimmer of all time.[/QUOTE]

is backpedaling from this
[quote name='Koggit']Phelps is very overrated. A great swimmer, yes, up there with the likes of Thorpe, Spitz, and Matt Biondi... but greatest athlete? Please. Even calling him the greatest swimmer would be debatable.[/QUOTE]

?

wtf

It's really too bad you're that blinded by your own arrogance. Maybe you should go back to insulting more Olympians, as that seems to be your bread and butter.

bread's done
Back