Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Sinnbox']LOL I only find afew hauls like that per year. I think the guy was a part owner of an old gamestore in my town that closed because the owners kept taking the good games home and no one wanted to buy the games they had for sale.[/quote] Lol that's what would happen if I ran a game store.
This is only my second week looking for sales, so maybe eventually. ^_^

[quote name='darkslime']Lol that's what would happen if I ran a game store.
This is only my second week looking for sales, so maybe eventually. ^_^[/quote]

To find good hauls you just have to go as early as possible, and go to every sale possible, from what i have seen good hauls come from places that look like dumps, people that spend way to much on entertainment then have to sell it to get cash!!

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I found Zone Of The Enders: 2nd Runner complete and mint for $4. So worth my morning.

I also got:

PS3 60 GB
Dualshock 3 x2
SixAxis x2
Call of Duty 4
Assassin's Creed
Rock Band
Grant Turismo 5 Prologue

All for $250. He was asking $400 but I CIF'd a bunch of bills totaling $250. Once he took it I got the hell out of there. I pretended that the whole wad was worth $350.

Now I'm deciding whether I should keep this stuff or sell them on eBay.[/quote]

So you lied to a person and ripped them off, you should feel like shit.

Some pretty decent finds today

1001520hw8.jpg

Boxed NES Action set (2nd in as many weeks) in excellent condition w/ 23 games contras, mario's & MAGIC DARTS! Was needing the Magic Darts for my collection
TOTAL: $10
Asked for games at this sale and the lady went to her attic for about 15 minutes and came down with this. I really wanted the Magic Darts and CIF'd $10. She came back with I was thinking forty, but she kinda looked like she had no idea of any kind of going rate for games. I told her that was way to much for me and proceeded to tell her that I'm a collector and usually pay .25 to .50 a game and that the consoles usually need to be rebuilt cause of the games blinking or not working at all. I told her if she took the $10 she would'nt have to carry it back to the attic. She thought for a moment then took the cash - then told me that the games blink but I kinda figured that already.

1001518rx9.jpg

PSP - no battery but had the power supply and powers up fine but I don't have any games to test .
Game gear - scratchy sound - speakers going (very common problem with these)
Original Gameboy
17 NES games -marios + tetris
3 GG games and GB -Tetris
several controllers and adapters
Total: $7
Perfect example of why you should'nt pass up any yardsale and ask for games. I pulled up to this sale and middle aged lady and 2 young girls were selling xmas stuff , crafts, glasses etc. I asked for games and the lady said she had a bag of stuff but had no idea what it was. She brought it down and proceeded to empty the bag, I jumped in and said no need, I eyed the Mario's and a cool PS2 Mortal combat controller and tried to CIF $3 which she countered with $10. I tried again and CIF'd $5 which I could see she was thinking about but she came back with I think $10 is a good deal. I decided to look deeper in the bag and saw the GB and GG games then immediately CIF'd $7 and asked if she could please do $7 which she accepted.
Much to my surprise when I got home and emptied the bag - wa-la PSP. Just hoping it plays OK

1001517yz8.jpg

Gamecube w/hookups & memory card - no controller and 8 completes games
I was pretty much shocked to find this laying out in plain sight at this YS cause it was like 11:15. Figuring it was seriously overpriced that's why it was still there I asked how much and the guy came back with I just want to get rid of it "how about $15" I CIF'd $10 saying "how about $10" He took it. I was kinda happy with this find cause I've been wanting to play Mario BB and Arcade treasuires 2.

[quote name='Sinnbox']To find good hauls you just have to go as early as possible, and go to every sale possible, from what i have seen good hauls come from places that look like dumps, people that spend way to much on entertainment then have to sell it to get cash!![/quote] That's where I've found my ok stuff, in shitty neighborhoods. Its just hard to get everywhere because I'm not old enough to drive and have to go on my bike.

[quote name='snotknocker']Some pretty decent finds today

1001520hw8.jpg

Boxed NES Action set (2nd in as many weeks) in excellent condition w/ 23 games contras, mario's & MAGIC DARTS! Was needing the Magic Darts for my collection
Asked for games at this sale and the lady went to her attic for about 15 minutes and came down with this. I really wanted the Magic Darts and CIF'd $10. She came back with I was thinking forty, but she kinda looked like she had no idea of any kind of going rate for games. I told her that was way to much for me and proceeded to tell her that I'm a collector and usually pay .25 to .50 a game and that the consoles usually need to be rebuilt cause of the games blinking or not working at all. I told her if she took the $10 she would'nt have to carry it back to the attic. She thought for a moment then took the cash - then told me that the games blink but I kinda figured that already.

1001518rx9.jpg

PSP - no battery but had the power supply and powers up fine but I don't have any games to test .
Game gear - scratchy sound - speakers going (very common problem with these)
Original Gameboy
17 NES games -marios + tetris
3 GG games and GB -Tetris
several controllers and adapters
Total: $7
Perfect example of why you should'nt pass up any yardsale and ask for games. I pulled up to this sale and middle aged lady and 2 young girls were selling xmas stuff , crafts, glasses etc. I asked for games and the lady said she had a bag of stuff but had no idea what it was. She brought it down and proceeded to empty the bag, I jumped in and said no need, I eyed the Mario's and a cool PS2 Mortal combat controller and tried to CIF $3 which she countered with $10. I tried again and CIF'd $5 which I could see she was thinking about but she came back with I think $10 is a good deal. I decided to look deeper in the bag and saw the GB and GG games then immediately CIF'd $7 and asked if she could please do $7 which she accepted.
Much to my surprise when I got home and emptied the bag - wa-la PSP. Just hoping it plays OK

1001517yz8.jpg

Gamecube w/hookups & memory card - no controller and 8 completes games
I was pretty much shocked to find this laying out in plain sight at this YS cause it was like 11:15. Figuring it was seriously overpriced that's why it was still there I asked how much and the guy came back with I just want to get rid of it "how about $15" I CIF'd $10 saying "how about $10" He took it. I was kinda happy with this find cause I've been wanting to play Mario BB and Arcade treasuires 2.[/quote]

I'm assuming thats a PSP fat? Nice man. I wish I could get a PSP for under $10 >_<

Does it have CFW?

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I'm assuming thats a PSP fat? Nice man. I wish I could get a PSP for under $10 >_<

Does it have CFW?[/quote]

What's CFW?

Custom Firmware. It allows you to download games onto your memory stick and play them from there.

It cuts down on load times and battery consumption. It's obviously illegal though.

Checking in from NJ and again nothing like snotknocker's but a few decent finds

Pikachu Edition Nintendo 64 with Expansion Pak and 2 Controllers (1 Pokemon Edition)
Super Smash Bros
Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 3
Monopoly
Zelda OOT
Wave Race Box and Manual

Guy asked 100$ for this lot with about 7 other crap games, after some negotiation the best I could get him to do was 50$ for what I walked away with but I really wanted the Pikachu N64

Sega Genesis with hookups and 2 controllers
19 Games, Sonic 3D, others nothing real notable
$3 was asking 4$

GBA Cart Only Games
Stadium Games
Nightmare before XMAS
Brother Bear
Metroid Zero Mission
2X Shrek 2
2X Official 3 Game Cases
$10, was asking 12

Lego Star Wars Wii Complete
$5, wasnt going to barter with a 7 year old

All complete
Head Coach
Cold Fear
Clocktower 3 Sealed
Ghost Recon 2
LOTR ROTK
Caesar's Palace 2000
Madden 2001
Ready 2 Rumble 2
Army Men Air Attack
$11, asking 15

All complete
Bubsy Gen
Primal Rage
Revenge of Shinobi
4$ asking 6

Gamecube with hookups and Controller
Mario Kart DD
Memory Card
$25 was asking $35, really more than I wanted to pay but I figure I can flip Mario Kart for close to the 25 and have a ~free spare cube

And the find of the day

NES, Gun, 2 Controllers
Little Mermaid Complete
Tetris Complete
Tetris 2 Complete
Super Mario 3 Complete
Tiger HeliComplete
Wizards & Warriors Complete
Wheel of Fortune Complete
TMNT Complete
Pinball Quest Complete
Kirby's Adventure Complete
Dr. Mario Complete
Ms. Pac-Man Complete
Rollerblade Racer Cart
Pro Wrestling Cart
Tecmo Baseball Cart
Mario 1 Cart
Wheel of Fortune Jr Cart
$25, wanted to 3$ a game and wouldnt go any lower than 25 for all

Star Wars Trilogy (4,5, 6) newer version AND older version on DVD (6 Discs)
Star Wars Episode 1
Star Wars Episode 2
R2D2 the Movie
$9

[quote name='darkslime']Its no problem. ^_^[/quote]

I live in the suburbs, rather than the city which would be easier, but I'd still like to be able bike around to near by neighborhoods and hit up yard sales. My parents think that I'll be either run over by a car or abducted by child molesters. Any ideas you used to convince your parents to let you bike around?

[quote name='snotknocker']Some pretty decent finds today[/quote]

Comments like that lead me to believe you lie about the prices you get the stuff for. Considering you got deals for hundreds of dollars less than what they're worth, and that you do that you pull of these absurd deals constantly, I'd call that better than "decent".

[quote name='Samus']
Comments like that lead me to believe you lie about the prices you get the stuff for. Considering you got deals for hundreds of dollars less than what they're worth, and that you do that you pull of these absurd deals constantly, I'd call that better than "decent".[/quote]

I doubt he lies about his prices, some people just have a better "charisma" It's weird people automaticly like me at garage sales and let me CIF but when i go with certain of my friends they must look like jerks or something because they kill all my CIF power.

The only find of Snotknockers that amazes me is the PSP for $7, people around here know the value better than that.

[quote name='Sinnbox']My digital camera's batteries are out so i will ahve to post pics later.

The first few sales i went to had no games or games that were priced way to high, and no one would respond to a CIF.

I went to afew sales where someone was buying all the games there as i got there. at oen sale a guy was purchasing CIB copys of Castlevania 4, Mortal Kombat 3, and 3 other SNES games that i didnt see the title's on, I asked if there were anymore and he said no, but the lady running the sale is from my church and said that she had alot more inside that she will talk to me about later!! :)

I spent $36.50 at the majority of the sales

$1.00 2 wireless PS2 controllers( .50 apiece)
$2.00 (Gamecube)Frogger Beyond
$2.00 SNES with Yoshi's Island
$5.00 (Gamecube)LOTZ: Twilight Princess(at a stop at the pawnshop)
$1.50 Gold Gameboy Pocket with Vegas Stakes
$1.00 (PS1) Great Valley Racing Adventure
$4.00 (X360) Call of Duty 2
$4.00 (X360) Controller
$2.00 (DVD) Scary Movie 4
$2.00 (DVD) Serpico
$2.00 (DVD) Unleashed
$2.00 (DVD) Friday Night Lights
$2.00 (DVD) Ernest in the Army
$2.00 (PS2) Herdy Gerdy
$2.00 (PS2) The Hobbit
$2.00 (PS2) The Lord of the Rings ~ FOTR~

The sale where i hit the mother lode but spent aton of money was crazy, I pulled up and hollered otu my car window "do you have any videogames?" the lady said yes so I went up and looked, they had a ton of games all marked at or above market price!! I CIF'd $100 for all of them, but the guy said no, I dug around in my wallet and offered $120, the guy siad no, so i dug through the games and pulled otu all the N64 games because they were all over priced and again CIF'd $100 the guy said $120 and i said no, he then made a offer of $110 and i bit. we threw everrythign into abox but he moved some stuff ad said it wasnt included. So i mised out on a lot of controllers and hardware, I also got some old comics from him for $2.00.

here is what i got:

(NES) SuperVision Megacom 76 in one!!!!
Honney Bee (Famicom to NES converter)!!!!!
(NES) Deathrace anyone know anything about this? looks like a pirate cart

Silver Gameboy Pocket
White GBA

(XBOX)Madden 08 traded in at the gamestore on the way home.
(GC) UFC throwdown
(GC) Bad Boys: Miami Takedown
(GB) Final Fantasy Adventure
(GB) Final Fantasy Legend II
(GB) Mickey's Dangerous Chase(CIB)
(GBC) Turok
(GBC) Paperboy
(GBC) Driver
(GBA) TLOZ: Four Swords
(SNES) Supe rMario World
(SNES) Brain Lord
(SNES) Lord of The Rings
(SNES) Illusion of Gaia
(SNES) Alien vs. Predator
(SNES) Ms. Pac-man
(SNES) Killer Instinct
(SNES) Street Fighter II
(SNES) Doomsday Warrior
(SNES) Bevis and Butthead
(SNES) Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
(SNES) Monopoly
(SNES) SMW: yoshi's Island
(SNES) Simcity
(SNES) Starfox
(SNES) Super Mario All-Stars
(SNES) NBA Jam
(PS2) Evil Dead: Regeneration
(PS2) FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus
(PS2) Suikoden Tactics(NEW/Sealed)
(PS2) Dragon Quest VIII (COMPLETE)
(PS2) Need for Speed Carbon
(PS2) UFC Throwdown
(PS2) 24 the game(NEW/SEALED)
(PS2) Evergrace
(PS2) The Getaway
(PS2) The Getaway:Black Monday
(PSX) ChronoCross(GH)
(PSX) Driver
(NES) ZELDA
(NES) Chip and Dale
(NES) Chip and Dale 2
(NES) Megaman 4
(NES) A Nightmare on Elm Street
(NES) Castlevania (2 copies)
(NES) Castlevania II(CIB)
(NES) Kid Icarus
(NES) Super Mario Brothers 3
(NES) The Bards Tale
(NES) Bart vs. The World
(NES) Gun.Smoke
(NES) Destiny of an Emperor
(NES) Felix the Cat
(NES) Castlevania III: Draculas Curse
(NES) Megaman 2
(NES) Romance of the Three Kingdoms
(NES) PirAtes
(NES) Hatris(CIB)
(NES) Tetris(CIB)
(NES) Crysalis(CIB)
(NES) RoadRunner(CIB)
(NES) Clash at Demonhead(CIB)
(NES) Legacy of the Wizard(CIB)
(NES) Fester's Quest(CIB)
(NES) The Goonies(CIB)
(NES) Snakes revenge(CIB)
(NES) Firehawk(CIB)
(NES) Lethal Weapon(CIB)
(NES) Rygar(CIB)
(NES) IKARI III the Rescue(CIB)
(GEN) Aladdin(CIB
(GEN) Spiderman Venom Maximum carnage(CIB)
(GEN) VR Troopers(CIB)
(GEN) Castlevania Bloodlines
(GEN)Shove It!!....The Warehouse game(CIB)
(GEN) Sonic The Hedgehog (NOT FOR RESELL) (CIB) (2 Copies)
(PSX) 2 memory cards

_________
I got a call from a lady that i gave my number to at a garage sale earlier and I just wnet back and picked up

(SNES) Contra III: The Alien Wars
(SNES) Space invaders
(SNES) Super Punchout
(SNES) Sunset Riderrs anyone have any info on this one?
(SNES) bubsy
(N64) Diddy Kong Racing
(N64) Wave Race
(N64) Goldeneye 007
(N64) Banjo Kazooie

for $18(I shoudl have CIF'd)

so my total for the day is

$166.50 by far my most expensive GS day ever!![/quote]

I just added up all the price stickers on the games i got at my big sale and he was asking over $550 for all teh games i got, that is by far my best CIF...20% of asking price.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I doubt he lies about his prices, some people just have a better "charisma" It's weird people automaticly like me at garage sales and let me CIF but when i go with certain of my friends they must look like jerks or something because they kill all my CIF power.

The only find of Snotknockers that amazes me is the PSP for $7, people around here know the value better than that.[/quote]

He said the people didn't realize the PSP was in there, and when he got home he found it in the bag.

And it's not a matter of charisma all the time. If I met the most charming person in the world, and they CIF'd $2 for something obviously worth $100 I would not bite. Also finding the stuff he finds in the first place. Accidentally getting a PSP? Are you kidding me?

An FC Twin for $3?
A jungle green N64 for $2?
Giant bundles of Genesis, NES, SNES, GameCube, and other lots for under $10 each?

And then consistently pulling this stuff off week after and week and calling it "decent"?

Seems a little bit unbelievable.

[quote name='Samus']
An FC Twin for $3?
Giant bundles of Genesis, NES, SNES, GameCube, and other lots for under $10 each?

And then consistently pulling this stuff off week after and week and calling it "decent"?

Seems a little bit unbelievable.[/quote]

sorry, but those are common prices in a lot of areas, including here in Southern CA. i find stuff like that all the time. i have no reason not to believe him.

if you want to find good stuff, you have to try at every opportunity. the problem i see in this thread is that people often go hit 5-10 yard sales, see no games (or overpriced games) and give up. that's not how it works. if you want bargains -- real, true mind-blowing bargains -- you have to ask anyone and everyone, get up early, try multiple tactics and be consistent. getting disgustingly good prices on video game stuff isn't impossible but it is absolutely hard work. most people just don't find it worth their time.

if i get lazy and hit 2-10 sales on a given Saturday, i miiiight luck out and find something cool. but really, i only find gold when i hit 40 or more sales, and stop and ask everyone, even at the billion-year-old lady's house.

it definitely happens. and when people like you don't believe it, it makes it even more enjoyable. ;) (no offense, only teasing!)

i'll post my crap tonite...

[quote name='Samus']He said the people didn't realize the PSP was in there, and when he got home he found it in the bag.

And it's not a matter of charisma all the time. If I met the most charming person in the world, and they CIF'd $2 for something obviously worth $100 I would not bite. Also finding the stuff he finds in the first place. Accidentally getting a PSP? Are you kidding me?

An FC Twin for $3?

You'd be surprised by how many people will buy expensive games/systems, forget about them for years, then try to get rid of them just because (regardless of how much money they lose).

[quote name='Samus']
An FC Twin for $3?

Those are ok prices, I find stuff like that around here all the time, not wuite tha tgood of prices because people know what stuff is worth due to the fact that there are about 5 classic game stores inabout a 20 mile radius. but due to that there is an over abundance of classic games.

sounds to me like you are jelouse

[quote name='Samus']

Luckily I live in one of the most densely populated areas of the country. On any given Saturday during YS season I can hit up 40 plus sales. The numbers are in my favor. You can doubt me all you want but the reality of it is, I've been doing this regularly for a few years now, It's a profitable little hobby for me. I have a system and a god given talent when it comes to talking to people and making deals which I use every chance I get. I consider myself a yardsale proffessional.

I post here to help other CAG's to learn some of my tricks and hopefully build up there collections and turn some stuff to make a little profit. If you look through the history of these threads you'll see I'm not the only one to score great deals. There's a lot of people giving lots of input and lots of other people learning and applying what they learn to make their own DECENT deals. Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens. So to the wise, not so fortunate yardsalers take in all you can from mine and the posts of others and you'll eventually have deals to speak about

If you're ever in NJ I'd gladly take you with me for the day and show you how it's done

Nothing super astounding this week. Went to a neighborhood sale in a suburb I hadn't been to before, and probably won't go back again. From 27 houses, found some overpriced Xbox games and a couple NES things. So, 30 minutes of driving for:

dsc04571rm1.jpg

- NES Game Genie
- Soap dispenser robot
Total: $1.25

On the upside, my girlfriend got a Kodak Easyshare C340 for $20, so that was pretty nice. And that soap robot is totally awesome.

Wasn't going to go out again today, but last night my trusty Xbox Media Center kicked the bucket. Thankfully, there was a decent replacement on craigslist, just waiting for me to pick it up. And while I was out, I hit a few sales.

dsc04573sj0.jpg

- Xbox Console
- 3 black Xbox Controller S
- Wireless Logitech controller
- 3rd party DVD remote and receiver
- All cables, MadCatz universal RF adapter, and a controller extension cord
- Forza Motorsport
- Madden NFL 06
- Fuzion Frenzy (Case only, no game)
- Freedom Fighters
- Grand Theft Auto III
- The Simpsons Road Rage
- Test Drive
- Amped
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
- Metal Slug 3
- Brothers In Arms: Earned In Blood
- ESPN NFL 2k5
Total: $40

Went to check out another neighborhood sale on the way back from picking it up, and darn was it weird. New in box Wii, new in box silver slim PS2... But no games for any of them. The only thing I picked up was Myst: The Board Game for 50 cents.

Finally, went to a moving sale at a house I'd actually been to last year. No game stuff, but since they were doing a 5 things for $5 sale, I snagged a Linksys wireless B router, wireless B PCI or PCMCIA card, a new in bag Thinkpad power supply that appears to work with my laptop, a dustbuster, and my sister grabbed a big box of earrings. Not game stuff, but the fact that I can set up a power supply for my laptop in my bedroom and my living room will be quite convenient.

[quote name='Samus']I live in the suburbs, rather than the city which would be easier, but I'd still like to be able bike around to near by neighborhoods and hit up yard sales. My parents think that I'll be either run over by a car or abducted by child molesters. Any ideas you used to convince your parents to let you bike around? Tell them you'll bring pepper spray or something in case there's a child molester. You'll wear a helmet in case of biking accidents etc.

It didn't take too much convincing to convince my parents.
Or you could just say that you're going biking and not specify that you're biking to yard sales. I dunno...

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I'm assuming thats a PSP fat? Nice man. I wish I could get a PSP for under $10 >_<

Does it have CFW?[/quote] Do you really think that someone that's selling a PSP for $7 in a bundle with random other old videogames, and lost the battery pack would know what the hell a CFW is?
That is a stupid question to ask.

I honestly just felt like ranting. No offense to you. ^_^

Phew, we had a rough day. 37 sales - nothing. No sightings, and only missed some Playstation stuff at one sale.

I'm thrilled to see all the stuff you guys got this weekend! Everyone got some great deals!

We're moving to our first home next Saturday, which means a completely new area for yardsaling. We have a ton of space so we'll finally be able to display and play all our purchases. We have a large finished basement that will be the game room, and we're very excited to get that all set up. We'll definitely post pictures once that's up and running.

So we should be back up and saling in a couple weeks!

^ He was asking the purchaser, not the seller.....why would someone post here if they sold a PSP Phat?

Hm, I guess you're right snotrocker. I didn't realize how many sales you hit. It just seemed to me like you would just randomly stumble upon amazing deals, but that's not the case.

Sorry.

Some advice for those new to YS'ing

The first thing you should do is go to the YS page in the CAG wiki.

Then start reading through the old yard sale threads. theres tons of info and examples of how great deals were made and found.

You will certainly go through trial and error periods and will always be polishing your technique. The CIF technique is your best friend. Multi pocket cargo shorts with multiple monetary denominations are a plus for me when I CIF.

Be prepared to spend about 1-2 hours a week looking for sales in the papers, on-line etc. community and townwide sales should be focal points

Most stuff is found bright and early in the morning. I usually start out between 7-8 AM and usually call it a day around 11:30 AM. Stop at every sale no matter how lame it looks or how non-gaming the people running it look. Always be friendly and talkative and always ask for games if you do not see anything. Keep in mind many people do not put out games and they'll be many an occasion where you get "I got a box in the attic" or "let me ask my son he's got so many games" You should always leave your number with people that you could potentially score a deal from. I use little hand written type cards.

Leave your Slipknot t-shirts or pimp wear at home

Buy a GPS

Beware of double parking - some towns just love to dish out tickets.

If you smoke don't walk up to the sale with butt in mouth many people find this offensive.

most important - you should always try to take control of the situation, you have the money and they want it Haggling is expected. Very seldom will you find someone that sticks to their IAP

yesterday's stuff (click pic to make big):

Sega Genesis Model II w/2 controllers RF Unit & PSU
Afterburner II
Awesome Possom: Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt!
James Pond II: Codename Robocod
MD 16 in 1 (pirate/bootleg cartridge)
RBI Baseball 4
The Revenge of Shinobi
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streetfighter II: Special Champion Edition
Strider
T2: The Arcade Game
ThunderForce II
ThunderForce III
Truxton
Vectorman, all for $7

DVDs:
Fantasia, $1
The Jungle Book, $2.50
Mulan, $2.50
Spirited Away, $2

total: $15

sort of an uneventful day yesterday despite the absolute plethora of yard sales we ran into. most people actually had video games out at their sales, but 99% of it was PS2/Xbox garbage -- your typical 5-dollar copies of SSX3 and whatnot.

the only thing that really caught my eye was the Genesis stuff, all lying in a plastic crate/box. i was initially only interested in the ThunderForce games (both of which i already have, but i'm quick to rescue any classics from the inevitable trash bin), but when i asked how much for the two (figuring on 50 cents-$1 apiece), the guy selling said he'd take 10 bucks for the whole box. at this point in the day i was actually yard-saling toward my ATM and had only 8 dollars on me. figuring "who couldn't use a 47th copy of Sonic the Hedgehog?", i asked if he'd take 7. he thought a moment and said, "sure". unfortunately, all of the games are missing manuals except for Strider and the 16 in 1 ( which never had one -- most bootlegs don't), but since they're all duplicates for me, i figured what the heck.

the movies came from three different sales, but i felt they were OK prices for Disney movies, so i added them to my post.

I tried to fire up the 76 in one i got yesterday and it wouldnt work, so i opend it up and it looked like someone had shoved a turd in the cart....I cleaned it and it works good as new now....It's weird because it's a famicom cart sodered to a NES cart!!! anyone else seen one of these or have any idea of what it's worth?

[quote name='Sinnbox']I tried to fire up the 76 in one i got yesterday and it wouldnt work, so i opend it up and it looked like someone had shoved a turd in the cart....I cleaned it and it works good as new now....It's weird because it's a famicom cart sodered to a NES cart!!! anyone else seen one of these or have any idea of what it's worth?[/quote]

i have one. it's got a picture of a weird fox-looking animal wearing a Three Musketeers outfit... lemme see if i can scare up a pic.

in general, pirate/bootleg/multicarts aren't really worth much. every once in a while they'll fetch a decent amount in the US just because we don't see them that often -- at least, not older multicarts. GBA and DS bootlegs are quite common in the States right now. selling them is still a no-no, so even if you have one that people want, it can be tough (as well as sort of wrong) to sell them.

the main thing that makes them fun and cool is that they're rare, and of course, because of all the bizarre types of bootlegs there are. i enjoy them (i've probably got a dozen or two lying around here and there) in my collection and buy them whenever they turn up.

Unintentional find today, was going out to run some errands and saw a huge sale going on and stopped to check it out. Found some overpriced GameCube sports games, and asked about others. They just happened to have a box of old stuff on their truck since they'd gotten some interest in old games yesterday.

dsc04575pm4.jpg

- NES console, no cords
- NES Cleaning Kit
- Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
- Tecmo NBA Basketball
- Genesis Model 1 console, no AV cable
- Sonic The Hedgehog
- Triple Play 2000
- TremorPak
- TremorPak Plus
Total: $10

Not the greatest deal, but I hadn't come across a reasonably priced Genesis yet. Strangely enough, the TremorPak Plus was missing its battery door, and I happened to have one that came in a box of N64 games I picked up last summer.

[quote name='theGrue']
Strangely enough, the TremorPak Plus was missing its battery door, and I happened to have one that came in a box of N64 games I picked up last summer.[/quote]

i love when this happens. i just recently bought a Game Boy Color that was missing the battery cover, and remembered i had a spare from a box of junk i bought earlier.

Its not really a yard sale find, but at a used game store, some guy was trading in a complete ninja gaiden that they wouldn't take, and I CIF'd $1 for it and he took it. Its scratched but worked perfectly. ^_^

Haven't read everyone's great scores yet but here's what I've gotten recently:

NES system w/all cords and controllers $5 (works!)

SNES Super Star Wars game w/book $1

Have the SNES game on ebay right now and not sure yet whether I'm selling the NES or not...we love the old games! Have been playing those more than the wii.

[quote name='mjhd']
Have the SNES game on ebay right now and not sure yet whether I'm selling the NES or not...we love the old games! Have been playing those more than the wii.[/quote]

our Wii has sat under the TV unused for 6-7 months.

Picked up 5 HD-DVD movies for $45
Transformers
Willy Wonka
Anchorman
The mummy
All brand spanking new. This couldn't have come at a better time since I just bought the 360 hd addon for $25 at K-Mart.

[quote name='Scrubsy']Picked up 5 HD-DVD movies for $45
Transformers
Willy Wonka
Anchorman
The mummy
All brand spanking new. This couldn't have come at a better time since I just bought the 360 hd addon for $25 at K-Mart.[/quote]

at a yard sale? was that their asking price?

[quote name='Scrubsy']Picked up 5 HD-DVD movies for $45
Transformers
Willy Wonka
Anchorman
The mummy
All brand spanking new. This couldn't have come at a better time since I just bought the 360 hd addon for $25 at K-Mart.[/quote] You could get brand new HD DVDs at a store with a return policy for $5-10 new...

I made my route, but ended up throwing it out after oversleeping by about an hour and a half as soon as I arrived at the community sale that was #1 on my list, and was overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of it. Cars were lining the streets and traffic was crawling as people stopped in the middle of the road to get out to check out sales. So, I pulled into the first sidestreet that I saw, parked, and set out on foot. I was there for almost three hours, walked through the entire development and hit literally dozens of sales.

Sale #1:
Theme Park Roller Coaster (PS2, complete)
Stitch: The Movie (DVD)
Atlantis: Milo's Return (DVD)
Pokemon Diamon & Pearl Nintendo Power Guide (beaten up)
TOTAL: CIF'ed $6

Sale #2:
Hello Kitty Messenger Bag
TOTAL: $1
I was going to get this for the girlfriend, its a nice denim one with a small logo on it -- and it turned out to be useful for carrying all of my purchases around.

Sale #3:
Disney Treasures Collection (set of illustrated books)

Sale #4:
Chrono Cross (PSX, complete, original)
Guardian's Crusade (PSX, complete)
The Wedding Singer (DVD)
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (DVD)
Shanghai Knights (DVD)
Princess Mononoke (DVD)
TOTAL: $6
They had a PSX with games that I offered $10 on but they wanted $15, as well as a bin of $1 DVDs. These were the only four left; I offered $6 for them all along with the two best PSX titles (the other five or so were pretty much garbage).

Sale #5:
Big Lebowski, The
Billy Madison (Special Ed-ition)
Carrie (Special Edition)
Dead Like Me: Season 2 (NEW)
Fly, The
Forest Gump (Special Collector's Edition)
Harry Potter & The Sorceror's Stone (DVD)
Lolita
Mask, The
Philadelphia (Anniversary Edtion)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (NEW)
Star Trek V: The Final Fronteir
Star Trek: Nemesis
THX 1138 (The George Lucas Director's Cut)
Tron (20th Anniversary Collector's Edition)
Who Framed Roger Rabbig (Vista Series DVD)
William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet
Yojimbo (Criterion Collection)
TOTAL: $45

19 DVDs, including a Criterion and a box set, and mostly special/2 disc editions...the lady running the sale had a huge table full of DVDs with a $4 each / 3 for $10 sign. I CIF'ed
$40, she countered with $50 and we settled on $45. Not bad for 18 films and a brand new box set.

Sale #6:
Pa Rappa the Rappa (PSX, missing manual)

Apparently, this guy had a ton of DC and PSX stuff that already had went, and the lone Pa Rappa was all that was left.

Sale #7:
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Blu-Ray)
TOTAL $4

More than I wanted to spend (I had CIF'ed $6 to the haughty teen it belonged to, who kept insisting it was worth a lot more since it was blu ray). but whatever...$4 for a BRD isn't something I'm going to pass on if I have the slightest interest in seeing it.

Sale #8:
The Cat In The Hat (DVD)

"How much are the DVDs?" "$1." "Done."

Sale #9:
Edward Scissorhands (DVD, full-screen, NEW)
Ghost Busters Double Feature Gift Set (DVD, NEW)
TOTAL: $6

I had wanted both of these for a while. Again, not a price I'm going to argue with for brand new items that I want.

Sale #10:
Treasures of the Deep (PSX, complete)
Play Link System Link Cable (Nyko, PSX, NEW)

This is the result of someone who went looking for his NES, and came back with a PSX and a few mediocre games. I offered $5 for everything, he was thinking $20, so I offered a buck for the one decent game and an accessory that I had never seen before.

Sale #11:
Green House (Game & Watch)
Oil Panic (Game & Watch)
Turtle Bridge (Game & Watch)
Ms Pac-Man (Genesis, cart-only)
Road Rash II (Genesis, complete)
Two Controllers, Model 2 PSU and RFU switch (Genesis)
TOTAL: $5

They had a bunch of stuff laid out on the driveway and upon arriving, the young gentleman running the sale told me to just make an offer on anything...so I picked up the 3 game and watches, pointed to the Sega stuff (no console) and offered $5, which he gladly accepted.

Sale #11.5
Hot Dog
1/2 Liter Poland Spring
Bottle of Punch
TOTAL: $2

I was hungry by this time, and a lot of people were BBQing or otherwise selling snacks. Shut up.

Sale #12:
Frogger's Adventures: The Rescue (GC, missing manual)
Robots (GC, complete)
Spongebob Squarepants: Lights, Camera, Pants (GC, complete)
Super Mario Sunshine (GC, original, complete)
WarioWord (GC, complete)
Crash Nitro-kart (PS2, complete)

There were no games out but I asked for them, they came out of the house with these asking $2 each. I tried to CIF $8, they insisted on no less than $10...which I was expecting anyway.

Sale #13:
American Psycho (Blu-Ray)
TOTAL: $2

CIF'ed $2, she took it.

Sale #14:
14 Cliff's Notes
Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew
MAD Magazine Return of the Jedi & A-Team Edition
Return of the Jedi Official Comic Adaptation #4 of 4
TOTAL: $4

All in all, pretty productive. Not a ton of gaming finds, but for the $100 or so I spent over the day, 27 DVDs, a DVD box set, 2 blu-rays, 13 games, some books, 3 game and watches, and some miscellaneous Genesis accessories. After the first two hours and the 19-DVD score, I really just wanted it to be over and to get back to my car. I also got head-sunburn, and its darkening nicely so far. I'll need to remember a hat next time.

[quote name='theGrue']Unintentional find today, was going out to run some errands and saw a huge sale going on and stopped to check it out. Found some overpriced GameCube sports games, and asked about others. They just happened to have a box of old stuff on their truck since they'd gotten some interest in old games yesterday.

dsc04575pm4.jpg

- NES console, no cords
- NES Cleaning Kit
- Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
- Tecmo NBA Basketball
- Genesis Model 1 console, no AV cable
- Sonic The Hedgehog
- Triple Play 2000
- TremorPak
- TremorPak Plus
Total: $10

Not the greatest deal, but I hadn't come across a reasonably priced Genesis yet. Strangely enough, the TremorPak Plus was missing its battery door, and I happened to have one that came in a box of N64 games I picked up last summer.[/quote]

Ah, I see a Quickshot controller! I had that as the Player 2 controller growing up, but I remember finding it more comfortable than the first-party ones so it ended up with the most use.

I had an alright saturday. First Garage sale had a genesis with hookups, two controllers, and cart only copies of Sonic 1 & the Lion King for $5. A bit higher than others get it for, but i've been looking for a genny for a while, and i'm no good at bargaining. Oh well. Nothing at the next couple of sales, and then at one i found a guide for OOT. I asked how much it was, and got it for $.50. Wasn't a bad price, considering they were asking $50 for an old gamecube. I overheard someone asking for a lower price as I was leaving, and the seller said something about the price on eBay. I hate people like that. Later, around 11, I was ready to give up, but stopped at one last sale, and found cart copies of Mario Tennis, Teleroboxer, and Nester's Funky Bowling for $.50 each. Pretty happy with that, since NFB goes for $20-30.

[quote name='kewlrabbit']i'm no good at bargaining[/quote]

In a situation like this you do not really need t o be good at bargaining. This was the perfect opportunity to stick $3 in the guys face and say these 6 skill less words "I'll give you 3 for it"

Once you pop your CIF cherry you'll never look back. You should always try and take control of the situation because you have something that every seller wants "MONEY" Don't be shy, be aggressive but not obnoxious, confidence is key. Like I've said before most great deals are made not found. this might not make to much sense to you now but with practice you'll learn that if you can sell yourself to the seller you'll eventually make great deals

Good luck - you can do it!

As time goes on and you get more experience, you'll become more confident. The goal is to see, grab, CIF/haggle, and go. You should spend no more than a minute or so to complete this process. Every second you hesitate makes it more difficult to keep the scales tipped in your favor.

When you find something, you should be able to quickly decide in your mind what the most you would pay for it is. This takes experience, but it'll come to you. Create a system for yourself. Determine what YOUR prices are for games, systems, etc. Over time you will be able to automatically look at something and quickly form a price in your mind.

Here's an example:

Our baseline for carts (NES, Gen, N64, SNES) is a quarter (we actually never offer less than a quarter for any single item). So if we see 1 cart, we'll offer a quarter. Once the numbers go up, we get some quick math going. For example, we find 12 NES carts in a box. Going by our quarter baseline, that would be $3. For any kind of bundles, we slash the price roughly in half. So in this case, we'd offer $2. This lowers the baseline for haggling. Often a seller will accept this, but sometimes they'll counter. If you get a reasonable counter like $5, you can say, "Why don't we meet at the middle at $3?" (BTW - this is a great line to use in lots of cases, especially if the seller is a bit stubborn and you can't agree on a price). You might get a counter like $10. In this case we would try to pull the price down to $3 or $4. If the seller refuses to go below, say, $8, we evaluate the items. If the 12 NES carts are all commons and we already own them, we'd likely pass. If they are rarer items we have never seen in the field, we might pay a bit more (though not much more! ;)).

Not sure if this helps or not but you can see it's a process that you'll fine-tune over time. Don't be afraid to take chances when making offers!

Good time-saving tip: Hearing the seller talk about eBay should always be an immediate sign that you aren't going to score any deals. Don't even waste your time with these guys.

It was pretty cold on the weekend, so I only went to two sales, one of which was a junior high school sale. I saw a table with some N64 games and a system. The system was marked $20, so I was dreading the game price, but I flipped through the carts, saw OoT, asked the price, and she said $2. I've sold copies of OoT locally for around $20 before, so I'm pleased.

[quote name='moiety']
Good time-saving tip: Hearing the seller talk about eBay should always be an immediate sign that you aren't going to score any deals. Don't even waste your time with these guys.[/quote]

definitely. once i hear the words "online", "Craigslist" or "Ebay", i'm already thanking them and walking away. these people absolutely cannot be reasoned with.

[quote name='moiety']
Good time-saving tip: Hearing the seller talk about eBay should always be an immediate sign that you aren't going to score any deals. Don't even waste your time with these guys.[/quote]

Somtimes I respond to that "well, I have seen it for less than that" just to call their bluff and sometimes they give in.

someone earlieer said that pirate GBA and DS games are common, how do i spot them so i dont pick any up?

I jsut saw in the paper that my county is having a weird type of sale, out main highway going through the county is going to have a huge garage sale the whole length of it...how weird is that?

They are callign for a 50% cance of rain on saturday though...here's hoping that it wont rain or atleast hold off till about 12 or 1pm.

To the eBay thing: Why not say something like "Sure, if you want to take the time to take pictures of all the items, write up a detailed description of the product, pay eBay fees, pay PayPal fees, and then drive to the post office and ship it, you might make a few bucks more, not including eBay + PayPal fees".

bread's done
Back