Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

I seem to find more copies of Star Wars Episode I Racer & Donkey Kong 64 than I know what to do when I go to yard sales.

EDIT: No yard sales until I find a job. :(

Woah, nice green N64 Moiety.
I was thinking about this thread today. I was walking to work and I saw a sign about a yard sale..I think tomorrow (or at least next week) I'll start going out.

I think I want to make a list of things I wanna score for cheap, and I think a cheap ass N64 would be great :whistle2:k (The colorful kind!)

[quote name='guyinga']I seem to find more copies of Star Wars Episode I Racer & Donkey Kong 64 than I know what to do when I go to yard sales.

EDIT: No yard sales until I find a job. :([/quote]

Sell the DK 64's, I always grab everythign that i find cheap....then resell and use the cash for the next weekends scavenging.

[quote name='Trikip']That's funny since you were just talking about getting a colored N64 last week.[/quote]
Yeah, I was thinking that when we bought it. I actually forgot we had a gold N64 from a trade with a coworker, but still it's nice to finally get a colored N64 at a yardsale.

Unfortunately Missouri weather sucks but I was able to still get t oa few sales today. I found the following:

This sale had a few PS2 games but NASCAR2005 was not on my top titles to pick up. However I did spot the following and picked it up:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front

I tried to CIF $2 for it but they were insistant on $3. still cheap enough.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2425880617/

This sale I came up to, I initially saw a PSOne in the box for 35$. I chuckled a little and then saw a complete boxed Super Scope. I scooped it up and noticed that the price was only $3. Not a bad deal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2426694964/

This was not major story here. I found the 1st and 2nd volunes of 2005 secret codes. I CIF'ed $1 for both and it was good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2425880251/

After snooping around at the sale, I finally asked asked if any games were available. After the husband found some games her brought them out. I picked up these 2 for $10:

Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Not a bad deal I thought. I tried to go lower but he was firm with $10.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2425880065/

I need to stop reading this topic. Being 14 and without a car, I'm flipping out because it's not like my parents want to drive to 10-20 different yard sales.

If only...

I just picked up a Playstaion 2 with two controllers, net work adapter for the PS2, and Gears of War collecters edition for $50 at a yard sale today.

Not so much a yard sale, but today on Craigslist I picked up Invincible, 50 First Dates, and Night at the Museum all on Bluray for $10 total.

ROCK ON!

[quote name='Amc5kidz']Not so much a yard sale, but today on Craigslist I picked up Invincible, 50 First Dates, and Night at the Museum all on Bluray for $10 total.

ROCK ON![/quote]

Wow, I want all three of those on Blu Ray. Great score.

[quote name='moiety']Yeah, I was thinking that when we bought it. I actually forgot we had a gold N64 from a trade with a coworker, but still it's nice to finally get a colored N64 at a yardsale.[/quote]

Is it a Ocarina of time edition 64? a friend told me one cameout back in the day but i have never seen one... do you have the pikachu edition? I found one last year complete in box. It's creapy the cheaks light up when I turn it on!!

I went to two yard sales today.

I found a gold mine in the first one:

FF VII COMPLETE, MINT, Black label
Disgaea COMPLETE, MINT
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 PS2, COMPLETE, MINT
Chrono Trigger SNES, COMPLETE, MINT
Earthbound SNES, COMPLETE, MINT
Super Mario RPG SNES, COMPLETE, MINT
Kirby Superstar SNES, COMPLETE, MINT
Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge SNES, COMPLETE, MINT
Donkey Kong Country 2 SNES, COMPLETE, MINT
Donkey Kong Country 3 SNES, COMPLETE, MINT

All for $35. I got really lucky. The second sale didn't have much. Alot of overpriced sports games. What a bust.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I went to two yard sales today.

Disgaea COMPLETE, MINT

All for $35. I got really lucky. The second sale didn't have much. Alot of overpriced sports games. What a bust.[/quote]

I want pics now. That is a disgusting find.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Is it a Ocarina of time edition 64? a friend told me one cameout back in the day but i have never seen one... do you have the pikachu edition? I found one last year complete in box. It's creapy the cheaks light up when I turn it on!![/quote]
This is the one we have. I don't think it's technically an Ocarina edition but I'm pretty sure they bundled Ocarina with the gold system at one point. We have yet to get the Pikachu edition.

I found this site that seems to have a pretty comprehensive list of console colors (all systems), for anyone interested.

[quote name='Samus']I need to stop reading this topic. Being 14 and without a car, I'm flipping out because it's not like my parents want to drive to 10-20 different yard sales.

If only...[/quote] I'm 14 too, and go by bike.
That doesn't really work if you don't live in the middle of the city though.
I biked 10 miles to the stupid Earth day festival to get free store credit to bookman's yesterday, and another 5 miles for yard sales. Its worth it though.
A used store bought all my scratched to shit broken PS2 games I got for $2 total for $15 in store credit, which I used to buy a non PC perfect condition tales of symphonia, and black label complete final fantasy anthologies, and a disc only crash bandicoot warped. Not bad. ^_^

Update: Still no pics, but Since I realized the guitar controller didn't have the receiver, I took it back and asked. The dad who used to own it wasn't there so the wife looked inside and got me the ps2 receiver. It wasn't till I got home till I realized it was the WRONG ps2 wireless receiver. Still unresolved. However, I asked if they were selling any ps2 accessories/games, and she says maybe and she'll ask her husband. I leave my #. Then she asks if I have a ps2, and I say I did but broke it (truth, while trying to mod it to play my import jap games and guitar hero hacks). She goes to the trunk of her car and gives me a perfect condition phat ps2 with no wires. I tried it when I got home and it works perfectly. Now if I can just get the right receiver I will be a really happy man. The best yard sale I've ever been to.

[quote name='darkslime']I'm 14 too, and go by bike.
I biked 10 miles to the stupid Earth day festival to get free store credit to bookman's yesterday, and another 5 miles for yard sales. Its worth it though.
A used store bought all my scratched to shit broken PS2 games I got for $2 total for $15 in store credit, which I used to buy a non PC perfect condition tales of symphonia, and black label complete final fantasy anthologies, and a disc only crash bandicoot warped. Not bad. ^_^[/quote]

Bookmans is awesome! Everytime I'm in AZ I make my ex-gf drive me around to the different stores. I haven't scored big there yet, but one day I will. I think last time I was there I bought some decent comics and a space invaders with the original box and instructions for $2. I just wanted the box since it was in such nice shape.

[quote name='darkslime']I'm 14 too, and go by bike.
A used store bought all my scratched to shit broken PS2 games I got for $2 total for $15 in store credit, which I used to buy a non PC perfect condition tales of symphonia, and black label complete final fantasy anthologies, and a disc only crash bandicoot warped. Not bad. ^_^[/quote]

Cool. How do you carry all the stuff around though? In a bag?

I'll have to ask my parents if they'll let me bike around, and see if the yard sales are close enough. I doubt they will though, even though I live in the suburbs they're afraid of everything.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I went to two yard sales today.

Disgaea COMPLETE, MINT

All for $35. I got really lucky. The second sale didn't have much. Alot of overpriced sports games. What a bust.[/quote]This guy has been trolling in the Stootsi thread saying stuff like "I got the 60 gig PS3 for $200, thanks!" So I call bullshit. Pics or GTFO.

I went to my first yard sales of the year yesterday. Unfortunately it was kind of a bust. All I got was:

Streets of Rage 2, "Not for Resale" version, $0.50

I hope to be putting some enviable posts in here in the coming weeks. Hat tips to moiety for the awesome finds.

I did have a nice Goodwill score this week though

[quote name='slowdive21']Wait you guys believe Snotknocker and you don't believe this guy?[/quote]

Snotrocker at least provided pictures, but it could have easily just been his own personal collection with a made-up story. Not to mention not all his stuff were mint, complete, rare RPGs and vintage games.

^ Very true any garage sale i'v been to if there are rare RPG's they are mixed in with other games, and people that sell rare stuff at GS dont care enough to keep them in Mint condition, unless it is a parent selling an unsuspecting college students stash.

[quote name='slowdive21']Wait you guys believe Snotknocker and you don't believe this guy?[/quote]

snotknocker has a longstanding reputation here in this thread, even though i dont always agree with some of his ways, he always seems 100% legit...this guy though does not...pics, of course, would prove otherwise

Snotknocker doesn't come in with "hey I just happened to find the 10 rarest and most in demand games across numerous consoles at the one sale I hit up!" posts. Though I am suspicious of the pittances claimed to be paid for various scores from him and others, because most are way too ridiculously good to be true. Not saying they're not legit scores or calling anyone a liar, but sorry, I guess I'm just naturally skeptical (cough cough Snotknocker, Moeity, etc.).

Now this guy, however, came in here, went to all of 2 yard sales, and happened to come across a large quantity of some of the most in demand games across a variety of systems for pennies on the dollar? Ninja please! Earthbound MINT COMPLETE, lol! You should have just said "Earthbound BIG BOX WITH GUIDE SEALED!", just as 'believable'... :lol:

[quote name='Samus']I need to stop reading this topic. Being 14 and without a car, I'm flipping out because it's not like my parents want to drive to 10-20 different yard sales.

If only...[/quote]

I'm 13 and my older sister is going to be able to drive next year so she can take me to yard sales then. Just one more year...

[quote name='karkyco']Though I am suspicious of the pittances claimed to be paid for various scores from him and others, because most are way too ridiculously good to be true. Not saying they're not legit scores or calling anyone a liar, but sorry, I guess I'm just naturally skeptical (cough cough Snotknocker, Moeity, etc.).
[/quote]

If your ever in NJ let me know. I'd love to take you out on a Saturday morning and nullify your skepticism, teach you some tricks and help to cheaply build your game collection.

[quote name='snotknocker']If your ever in NJ let me know. I'd love to take you out on a Saturday morning and nullify your skepticism, teach you some tricks and help to cheaply build your game collection.[/QUOTE]

NJ seems to be a great place for finding deals. It's a bit harder in Cali, people expect more for their items here. :(

[quote name='Kuros']NJ seems to be a great place for finding deals. It's a bit harder in Cali, people expect more for their items here. :([/quote]

NJ is pretty good but I hit 40 or so yard sales on average a week and my finds aren't near Snotknocker's so it's not all a gold mine. Frankly in my ten+ years of yardsailing I have had very few finds that match the ones he seems to have on a regular basis.

some people here must get to sales late, or not have the charisma to get people bring out the stuff they have inside. I knokow for a fact that you can find the stuff snot Knocker finds....when i look back at last year, eventhough it was my first year GS'ing I found multiple copys of many rare PS1 and SNES games...I need to find a place to host pics so i can show a few pics....The best advice i can give is G-sale in towns that have had a mom and pop gamestore for several years, towns like that seem to get alot more older games in circulation than towns that have no game stores, or stores that only deal in new games.

also don't be afraid to ask if they have any videogaems they want to sell, I have had many sales where the person says..."Well i have a super nintendo inside that we dont play and i didnt think was worth putting out here." usualy people that bring a system out will take any CIF ammount you show.

[quote name='Sinnbox']some people here must get to sales late, or not have the charisma to get people bring out the stuff they have inside. I knokow for a fact that you can find the stuff snot Knocker finds....when i look back at last year, eventhough it was my first year GS'ing I found multiple copys of many rare PS1 and SNES games...I need to find a place to host pics so i can show a few pics....The best advice i can give is G-sale in towns that have had a mom and pop gamestore for several years, towns like that seem to get alot more older games in circulation than towns that have no game stores, or stores that only deal in new games.

also don't be afraid to ask if they have any videogaems they want to sell, I have had many sales where the person says..."Well i have a super nintendo inside that we dont play and i didnt think was worth putting out here." usualy people that bring a system out will take any CIF ammount you show.[/QUOTE]

www.photobucket.com

Host your pics there.

There was an asking price of $500 but I CIF'd $0.45 and whadayaknow, she bit!!!!

collection002.jpg

Pics = not proof. We just gotta believe our fellow non-trolling CAGs.

[quote name='moiety']This is the one we have. I don't think it's technically an Ocarina edition but I'm pretty sure they bundled Ocarina with the gold system at one point. We have yet to get the Pikachu edition.

I found this site that seems to have a pretty comprehensive list of console colors (all systems), for anyone interested.[/quote]

Hey....I have been wondering how many NES's and N64's havve you found at garage sales? I have only been going to sales for about 10 months now and have found over 15 nes's and abour 15 N64's.

[quote name='Samus']I don't understand why people don't associate videogames with yard sales. Are people dumb or something?[/quote]

I'm not sure, I see so much usless crap at sales. It dosent make much sense.

[quote name='snotknocker']If your ever in NJ let me know. I'd love to take you out on a Saturday morning and nullify your skepticism, teach you some tricks and help to cheaply build your game collection.[/quote]

I'm so tempted to take you up on this offer! I would love to learn a few things! Sadly, Louisiana to NJ isn't just a hop, skip and a jump. I've read all the articles that I can find and have tried to practice them, but all I find are dead ends. I MUST be going to the wrong sales and hitting every single one is not always possible!

[quote name='Samus']There was an asking price of $500 but I CIF'd $0.45 and whadayaknow, she bit!!!!

collection002.jpg

Pics = not proof. We just gotta believe our fellow non-trolling CAGs.[/quote]

This is priceless! Touche!

[quote name='Sinnbox']Hey....I have been wondering how many NES's and N64's havve you found at garage sales? I have only been going to sales for about 10 months now and have found over 15 nes's and abour 15 N64's.[/quote]
Approximately 19 NES (plus the 2 we owned growing up) and 15 N64's. Our index is a bit out of date but that's pretty close to what we have.

[quote name='Samus']I don't understand why people don't associate videogames with yard sales. Are people dumb or something?[/quote]
We've gone to sales where we've asked if they had videogames and they responded "Oh we just threw a whole bag of those away a few days ago". And then you look around at all the junk they didn't throw away.

They obviously knew they were having a yardsale. Those are frustrating times.

I have been garage saleing for 15+ years and I have never found a rare RPG or half of the stuff you guys find. Sometimes I even go the night Before the sale if they have their garage open when I drive by. The best I have ever found was a mini NES with a dogbone controller and a good amount of games for $4.50 (last year). I think I will buy a condo in NJ and pay the mortage with my garage sale hauls. Do you guys just sell this stuff off or do you offer it for trade with other CAGs?

PS: you beat me to it Samus!

[quote name='snotknocker']If your ever in NJ let me know. I'd love to take you out on a Saturday morning and nullify your skepticism, teach you some tricks and help to cheaply build your game collection.[/QUOTE]

Where are you at in NJ?

[quote name='slowdive21']I have been garage saleing for 15+ years and I have never found a rare RPG or half of the stuff you guys find. Do you guys just sell this stuff off or do you offer it for trade with other CAGs?[/quote]

If you don't mind me answering your question as well, I mostly ebay my dupes that I find. Last year I came across 4 FF7s and for the most expensive one paid $15 for it complete. I also came across a disc only copy of Valkyrie Profile fo $5. Most recently I game across a HUGE pile of RPGs at a pawn shop. I paid $75 but got some stellar titles. It's just a matter of persistance.

I have yet to trade with any CAG yet as I am using the money from ebay to help fund a trip to Belgium and also to finish my NES library (only about 100 titles to go...)

On one other side note, I actually asked Snotknocker if I could hang out with him last year too but have yet to leave Missouri to even attempt it. I'd love to though as he gets some amazing deal and has a higher population probably to buy from than rural Missouri (mainly referring to the X'Eye from earlier this year...)

[quote name='Samus']Cool. How do you carry all the stuff around though? In a bag?

I'll have to ask my parents if they'll let me bike around, and see if the yard sales are close enough. I doubt they will though, even though I live in the suburbs they're afraid of everything.[/quote] I have a wagon attached to the back of it by a chain. Works like a charm. My mom is overprotective as hell too, so it took alot of convincing. Good luck.

[quote name='slowdive21']Bookmans is awesome! Everytime I'm in AZ I make my ex-gf drive me around to the different stores. I haven't scored big there yet, but one day I will. I think last time I was there I bought some decent comics and a space invaders with the original box and instructions for $2. I just wanted the box since it was in such nice shape.[/quote] Bookman's is one of the best video game stores out there, even though they're freakishly overpriced. You can get the credit for almost free, since they give it out at so many festivals, and I offer to clean out family member's book shelves with Bookman's trades. This week, my cousin and I cleaned out my Grandma's shelf, and have took the books in seven times in the past week. Each time, a different person checks it, and they'll take different books. We have gotten $300 credit total. And after the seventh time, we took it to this bookstore right next to bookman's. They bought $40 more worth of books, and we looked on the board that said what books bookman's wants, bought them there, and sold them to them. lol

[quote name='darkslime']Bookman's is one of the best video game stores out there, even though they're freakishly overpriced. You can get the credit for almost free, since they give it out at so many festivals, and I offer to clean out family member's book shelves with Bookman's trades. This week, my cousin and I cleaned out my Grandma's shelf, and have took the books in seven times in the past week. Each time, a different person checks it, and they'll take different books. We have gotten $300 credit total. And after the seventh time, we took it to this bookstore right next to bookman's. They bought $40 more worth of books, and we looked on the board that said what books bookman's wants, bought them there, and sold them to them. lol[/quote]

So let me get this straight. You pilfered your Grandmother's book shelve, which definitely has sentimental value with apparently no second thought.

Bravo young man. Bravo.

[quote name='moiety']We've gone to sales where we've asked if they had videogames and they responded "Oh we just threw a whole bag of those away a few days ago". And then you look around at all the junk they didn't throw away.

They obviously knew they were having a yardsale. Those are frustrating times.[/quote]

I have heard that so many times while gragesaling it makes me sick.... Here is the worst one: once i was in at the local gamestore and some guy was braging about how he buys PS1 lots from cragislist or somewhere. and he said "If I had known this store was here I would have brought in all those copies of Final Fantasy VII that I threw away...that game sucks." My jaw dropped to the floor and so did the owner's. and this dude was serious, i have gotten to konkow him since then and e wasnt joking.

bread's done
Back