Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

Oh my God Moiety you are awesome. Now if only it could read addresses from, say, local newspaper listings online and craigslist for yard sales, and input them according to various settings, keywords, locations, etc.

That would be awesome. But this is great!!!

Any way we can have Moiety's tool/info from the above post added to the OP?

[quote name='snotknocker']
1001478ht4.jpg

JVC X'Eye, RF, 1 controller
TOTAL: $2.00[/quote]

Agh. I've been looking for one of those for years!

Well I finally get to say something about this year. While I haven't found any yard sales yet (crazy Missouri weather), The pawn shop circiut has been decent to me.

While in Springfield I happened across a pawn shop that is closed everytime I go by it. I finally caught it while it was open and it was worth it. I saw the following
games and immediatly picked them up.

Fatal Frame (Xbox)
Radiata Stories (PS2)
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)

I did pay a little more than normal for them but for PS2 RPGs and Fatal Frame, I think it was worth $25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2275897816/

While wandering around town on my day off, I went into a pawn shop I usually visit. Luckily he had just got a bunch of games in that no hadn't been picked over yet. I ended up getting:

Super Metroid (SNES w/ Manual)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Harvest Moon 64 manual
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2 Disc Only)
Fatal Frame (PS2 Disc Only)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2 Disc Only)
Draken: The Ancient Gates (PS2 Disc Only)
Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1 Complete)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Gamecube Complete)
Lost Kingdoms (Gamecube Complete)

I tried to offer $35 but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to get cash so I ended up agreeing with $40 on my debit card. Still though, that is pretty decent as once again Fatal Frame is worth almost that alone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2275884788/

On a side note, Snot Knocker, if you come up with another X'eye, I'd be willing to take it off your hands.

no lie i have gotten all my systems except my xbox from yardslaes. i buy the crap from old people and just offer a dollar or a quarter for the games. they normally take it.
i have a snes with over 120 games just from yardsales.
if you have good people skills and know how to negotiate then you can get just about anything for less than 5 bucks.

FleaMarketHaul.jpg

Hopefully the image worked. This is what I found at the flea market today. 3rd Rock from the Sun was sealed for 20, Veronica Mars Season 1 is in great shape except for a little rip on the top. I finally found Koudelka for less than 40 dollars around here. It was 15 and in great shape. The Mystery and Horror tales was 3 dollars.

Sorry for the blurry pics. I just got a new camera and I am still trying to figure out how to work with it.

[quote name='aquateenfan']if you have good people skills and know how to negotiate then you can get just about anything for less than 5 bucks.[/quote]

I could'nt agree more

Wow Dazz, that's a pretty impressive haul. :drool:

Did you pick up Bronkie and Captain Novolin at the same location?

[quote name='karkyco']I think the absolute key (besides CiF - CASH IN FACE CASH IN FACE CASH.IN.FACE!!!) is to always ASK if they have the types of items you're looking for. If you want vintage or classic toys, ask the person running the sale "I don't see any, do you happen to have any old toys you'd be willing to sell?" or "do you have any old video games?" A lot of huge scores come from asking - it never hurts to ask, and it never hurts to make an offer. The worst they can say is no, either to having the items you're looking for or no to your offer.

DON'T say 'classic' or 'vintage', you don't want to tip your hand and give them the idea as to what their stuff is really worth. Sorry, but you need to be out for yourself and trying to get the best score possible...nothing illegal with offering FAR less than an item is worth and getting it for that price. It's just the way of the world. Is it unscrupulous and possibly morally reprehensible, sure. But you need to look out for #1 in this world. Business 101. (maybe I'm just too jaded from living in LA and other dog eat dog global cities, hahaha!!!)

As for older systems...the best are the empty nesters like the baby boomers, who are downsizing or cleaning out the place and getting rid of the crap their kids left behind as they went off to college or moved out etc. You will find monster scores at these places if you ask![/quote]

That is so true, every Garage sale i go to I ask about games as soon as i get out of my car, if they say no, I know not to look around. Many times they say ya i have a old super nintendo with X amount of games inside i didn't know people still play those ill give it to ya for $10(Has hapened many times).

My bigest problem is that a gamestore from a city about 30 minutes away has started looking for games at garage sales, so i have to be up bright and early.

Last year I spent over $3,000 at garage sales, and made over $5000 fliping/selling them, and I still have boxes at home, i can't wait untill it gets warm enough out for the sales to start back up.

I finally had a score that was worth writing down today... I stopped into the local pawn shop and looked around for a few minutes and noticed that there were some new playstation games that have been added. I started looking through them and then realized I have hit a gold mine...

I picked up COMPLETE:

King's Field
King's Field 2
Wild Arms 2
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Vandal Hearts 2
The Granstream Saga
Threads of Fate
Star Ocean: Second Story
Shadow Madness
Grandia
XenoGears
SUIKODEN 2!!

Disc Only:

Wild Arms 3
Parasite Eve 2

I walked up to the counter and the lady looked at me a little strange and asked that I wanted the "old" playstation games. I replied yes and she told me that they were $10 each. However she told me that since I had so many and that I frequent them often, SHe would let me take them all for $75. I tried to offer $70 but she was firm on $75. I threw her the cash out of my wallet which only was there because of a DS deal that fell through and walked off a happy man. They had a few other RPGs as well but I didn't have any more cash to spare. I'll hit them again this weekend. But once again... Suidoken 2... still worth more than what I paid for the whole lot of games...

I'll have some pictures up as soon as I find my camera charger.

[quote name='Mirpkered']I finally had a score that was worth writing down today... I stopped into the local pawn shop and looked around for a few minutes and noticed that there were some new playstation games that have been added. I started looking through them and then realized I have hit a gold mine...

I picked up COMPLETE:

King's Field
King's Field 2
Wild Arms 2
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Vandal Hearts 2
The Granstream Saga
Threads of Fate
Shadow Madness
Grandia
XenoGears
SUIKODEN 2!!

Disc Only:

Wild Arms 3
Parasite Eve 2

I walked up to the counter and the lady looked at me a little strange and asked that I wanted the "old" playstation games. I replied yes and she told me that they were $10 each. However she told me that since I had so many and that I frequent them often, SHe would let me take them all for $75. I tried to offer $70 but she was firm on $75. I threw her the cash out of my wallet which only was there because of a DS deal that fell through and walked off a happy man. They had a few other RPGs as well but I didn't have any more cash to spare. I'll hit them again this weekend. But once again... Suidoken 2... still worth more than what I paid for the whole lot of games...

I'll have some pictures up as soon as I find my camera charger.[/quote]

NICE!! My local Pawnshops caharge around $2-$3 for PS1 games, but they don't get good ones in often, I got Rival schools a few weeks ago.

I also got Diablo for playstation today at a local gamestore for $5 that was a good catch, I also got 2 copy's of Silent hill there last week for $5 and $8. they don't realy know the value of the old PS1 games.

[quote name='Mirpkered']I finally had a score that was worth writing down today... I stopped into the local pawn shop and looked around for a few minutes and noticed that there were some new playstation games that have been added. I started looking through them and then realized I have hit a gold mine...

I picked up COMPLETE:

King's Field
King's Field 2
Wild Arms 2
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Vandal Hearts 2
The Granstream Saga
Threads of Fate
Shadow Madness
Grandia
XenoGears
SUIKODEN 2!!

Disc Only:

Wild Arms 3
Parasite Eve 2

Everytime i find, or hear of someone getting a haul like that i have to feel sorry for the guy that got $1 or $2 from teh pawnshop for them....

I picked up COMPLETE:

King's Field
King's Field 2
Wild Arms 2
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Vandal Hearts 2
The Granstream Saga
Threads of Fate
Shadow Madness
Grandia
XenoGears
SUIKODEN 2!!

Disc Only:

Wild Arms 3
Parasite Eve 2

http://flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2299416103/ pics are finally up of this... Mirp

[quote name='Mirpkered']http://flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2299416103/ pics are finally up of this... Mirp[/quote]

Nice i had a haul about like that from a rental store mid last year, I got 10 rare Squarersoft, capcom and Enix games for $4 a piece. including suikoden II, Valkyrie Profile, and others.

P.S. I have never seen Kings field in a long box, mine is in a jewel case, is the longbox version rare?

[quote name='Sinnbox']Nice i had a haul about like that from a rental store mid last year, I got 10 rare Squarersoft, capcom and Enix games for $4 a piece. including suikoden II, Valkyrie Profile, and others.

P.S. I have never seen Kings field in a long box, mine is in a jewel case, is the longbox version rare?[/quote]

I did a quick ebay search and it looks like there are BIN priced for the long box from 9.99 to 29.99. I wouldn't say it is reare but it seems that it is a little more uncommon that the jewel case. I'm going back to the pawn shop today as there were still games left htat I ran out of cash to get though. I'll fill you in when I get back.

Went out for the first time this morning. Unfortunately I had zero success. Only thing I saw was an X-Box for $35.

But it is looking like more yard sales will be appearing soon.

I don't know if a swap meet will count for this thread, but I found the motherload of game stands at the open-air swap meet on las vegas boulevard. For $48.00 I got:

Stella Deus COMPLETE
Shadow Hearts: From the New World COMPLETE
ICO (disc and case only)

I know I paid a little much for them, but considering the fact that I found them at a really dilapidated swap meet, I was happy. The lady who used to own Gameworld, which was the best place to go in town before it closed up shop (Charleston & Lamb) actually runs the stand. I believe I'll go back sometime soon.

They also had a black label FFVII for 60 bucks (no thanks) and a couple of other rare games. Quite the find.

I hit up the K-Mart just down the street on the way home and saw Romancing Saga had a clearance sticker of $15.00. The lady working electronics gave it to me for $7.00. I'd have pictures up, but my wife left the camera at her mom's house.

Stopped at a bizarre, hell it was almost like a Turkish Bazaar on Sunday while driving through the area. Bunch of people selling all sorts of stuff like a yard sale, but on a large sidewalk area at a busy intersection in SilverLake (directly northwest of downtown LA). Probably an illegal street market, but that sort of stuff is quite common in LA with all the illegal alien street vendors, but not so many in one place except for downtown sales districts...though I've seen this one before on many weekends but never stopped by until now.

SO glad I did.

One guy was selling SNES and NES games. The NES game selection didn't have anything I really needed and most were not complete, but his SNES collection was pretty damn exceptional. He was telling me he wanted about $10 each (some $5) for the following complete games "but would work out a deal", so I picked out what I wanted and CiF'd him $30, he didn't want to take it but I told him that's all I have, they're old, etc. and finally he gave in and scored the following:

Mario All Stars (complete)
Contra 3 (complete)
Zelda LttP (complete)
Turtles 4 (complete)
Secret of Mana (COMPLETE WOOT!!!)
Super Metroid (complete)
Super Punch Out (complete)
Super Star Wars (cart only)
Dr. Mario/Tetris 2 in 1 (cart only)
Megaman X (cart only)

All carts are beautiful, boxes and instructions in great shape for the most part, but he had his initials on each one, not a big deal to Goo Gone/Mr. Clean it off though. I'll try and take some pics later once I clean them up, especially since a couple I already have and will go up on my trade list eventually.

Guy was telling me he moved out here from DC to do sound editing, but with the writer's strike he's been hurting so he has to sell them. His loss = my gain. I just wish he had complete or cart only SNES Ogre Battle, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, or the Final Fantasies (though I do already have most of those complete).

[quote name='skid']Ugh, lucky bastards.
It's still snowing here in Wisconsin.[/quote]

Same here, I'm in the middle of an insane ice storm, but i hope to start my weekly GS runs in a few weeks.

find3dsr.jpg

$5 Model 1 Genesis w/ Sonic 3, Streets of Rage 2, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Gemfire

Guy wanted $10 but I CIF'd $5 and got it.

$20 for N64 (smoke) + 4 controllers, hookups, GBA, alarm clock (lol) and the following games:

Mario Kart 64, WWF No Mercy, Zelda MM, WCW Nitro, Triple Play 2000, Rayman 2, NBA Showtime, 007 TWINE, NFL QB Club 2000, Ken Griffy, Goldeneye, Modden 02, THPS, Modden 2000, Rainbow Six, Hot Wheels, Excitebike 64, Star Wars SOTE, Army Men Sarges Heroes 2, Ridge Racer 64, Pokemon Stadium 2, Starfox 64, Doom 64, Jeremy McGrath 2000, Desert Strike gba, Driver gbc

They had no games out so I asked, as soon as I got a good look at the box I CIF'd $20 and got it.

wdbook2.jpg

Brand new Western Digital External 500 GB hard drive. Retails for $170. I offered $50 to start but the guy wanted $75, I CIF'd $60 and he took it.

[quote name='Sinnbox']NICE!! Great price on Genesis, ok...price for 64 and games.[/QUOTE]

Any time I pay under $1 per item in a lot I consider it a good deal. :)

[quote name='Sinnbox']NICE!! Great price on Genesis, ok...price for 64 and games.[/quote]

Whah?!? You must be joking around...$20 for that haul of N64 games and the console is unreal. That is a monster good score. Nice work, Kuros.

[quote name='karkyco']Whah?!? You must be joking around...$20 for that haul of N64 games and the console is unreal. That is a monster good score. Nice work, Kuros.[/quote]

I misread and thought he Spent $40 on it. That is a good deal, Mario kart alone is a $25 game.

First videogame score of the season. I snagged a PS2 w/ 2 controllers and Jak 3 for $10 at a yard sale today. Oddly, there was an XBOX right next to the PS2 that was marked $100.

Sinnbox, you must be in Ohio, haha. I saw something in our paper about a few garage sales this weekend, and then we get dumped with 12 inches of snow.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out - $1
Metal Gear - $1
Final Fantasy Origins (black label, complete) $5
Blues Bros 2000 - $3
Linksys Wireless wrt54g router - $25 (went to sell to a friend for cost, but they gave me $31)

Net cost for today: $4

[quote name='chimpster1313']Sinnbox, you must be in Ohio, haha. I saw something in our paper about a few garage sales this weekend, and then we get dumped with 12 inches of snow.[/quote]

Close, Indiana/Ohio border, Decatur Indiana.

First weekend of seeing some ads in the paper for yard sales. Found a few things, nothing to really write home about, but was just itching to get SOMETHING.

First find (actually from Craigslist post), all Gamecube:

Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Animal Crossing
Frogger Adventures The Rescue
Sponge Bob Battle for Bikini Bottom

Asked $40, CIF $30 and got it. $5 per game not too bad, but not great. Looks like all were bought used from Gamecrazy. Not many with manuals, and Mario Golf is in a beat up case with their custom printed cover. Aside from that, the games are scratchless.

Second find, all PS2:

Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
James Bond Agent Under Fire
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battlenexus
Monster Rancher 4
Ape Escape 3

Asked $30, CIF $15 and they took it. Problem is that I didn't inspect them at and when I got them home they are beat all to shit. Probably playable, but definitely scratched up pretty good. Lesson learned. I'll probably bundle them into a PS2 I need to sell and add it in for $25 more.

I found two original gameboy games (cart only) for 3 dollars each at a garage sale this morning. There were so many people waiting around for her to open because she advertised the video games. She also said "early birds welcome" but didn't open up until 15 mins before the garage sale started anyway. Everyone was rushing in and I snagged these two (among several):
Mega Man V
Golf

The guy that bought the other games the lady had, I saw at the flea market later, reselling them. I'm thinking... competition. He's just a reseller. Anyway, I bought some NES games from him for 4 dollars each (a little high for me, but I've been in a dry spell).

Little League Baseball (Upgrading the copy that I have, the contacts and label on this game are like new)
Mega Man 3

I have a question for you guys. What are some other things that I should be on the look out for at garage sales? I don't have job right now while I finish my last quarter of college. I'm thinking of doing a little ebaying on the side. I don't think I'll do much selling of games, since they are usually hard to come by in my area and will likely go straight into my collection. Any snes, ps1, and saturn games will definitely go into the collection. I'm looking for some other items besides games that I should be on the look out for. Some records and textbooks are some things that comes to mind.

This morning, unfortunately, was raining, but a couple of sales and rummage sales were open that I went to. This is what I found:

Age of Empires 2 (PC)- $1. The person originally wanted $2, but I CIF'd him 1, and he accepted.
Yoshi Figurine- 10 cents.
Disco Record- $2. Lady wanted $3 originally, but I CIF'd 2 and she accepted.
Final Destination DVD- $2

I Then went to Goodwill, due to the lack of yard sales. Here is what I got:
Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning DVD Sealed and with original Sleeve- $3. I was amazed when I found this, since I find it uncommon to find such a new movie in Goodwill. Wasn't this movie released only a few months ago?
Halo 4 pack of figurines- $3. I was also amazed when I found this, because these will sometimes go for $10 in stores. One of the problems was that the back was ripped, but all the figures and game stuff was intact. Also, one of the Master Chief figurines was missing an arm, but thats ok, since it was a good deal and the other figures were in perfect condition.

Well, I had a good day today. How about everyone else?

[quote name='erehwon']I have a question for you guys. What are some other things that I should be on the look out for at garage sales? I don't have job right now while I finish my last quarter of college. I'm thinking of doing a little ebaying on the side. I don't think I'll do much selling of games, since they are usually hard to come by in my area and will likely go straight into my collection. Any snes, ps1, and saturn games will definitely go into the collection. I'm looking for some other items besides games that I should be on the look out for. Some records and textbooks are some things that comes to mind.[/quote]

Here's a list of things that I keep my eyes out for besides video game related items.
  1. old glass items, depression era glass, vases, salt and pepper shakers, old bottles. (You will have to do a bit of research but it pays off once you know what your looking for keep the brand name Fenton in mind)
  2. CD and DVD lots
  3. power tools & hand tools (these move well on craiglist)
  4. lawn mowers ( I've turned 4 simply by putting a sign on them and chainig it to my front porch for a total of $250 profit )
  5. baby clothes, some people will sell boxes full for a couple of bucks, a great craiglist item.
  6. old costume jewelry ( another worthwhile item once researched )
  7. old cast iron toys, especially mechanical banks
  8. vintage t-shirts, tour shirts in good condition could bring some good scratch.
  9. high end cookware - (I've bought fying pans for a dollar or two and have turned them for up to $75)
  10. old tube radios
  11. military items - I bought a WW2 combat helmet for $5 and ebayed it for $225
  12. Old GI joe and Barbie dolls and accessories
  13. complete Lego sets
  14. Old lamps
  15. old electric trains and accessories.
  16. Figurines (Messien, Hummell, Royal Daulton, LLadro, all brand names to keep in mind)
Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about anything other than games, but I do know a little about a lot and all the items I've listed I've managed to make some pretty good money on when turned. if you keep your ears opened at yardsale's you'll here people ask for specific items that could be a clue to items worth researching. I saw a guy buy a bucket of marbles last year from some old guy. When the guy brought out the bucket the buyer got real red in the face and started breathing real heavy. He bought the bucket for $5. After the purchase as he was walking away he started to stumble and it looked like he was gonna pass out. He had to plop down on the lawn to gain his composure. When I went home and did some research it turns out that some vintage marbles are worth a pretty penny. (you might want to add marbles to the list). If you do your homework you'll come to realize that "one mans junk truly is another mans treasure' good luck

i think i may expand my "yard sale" scope this year to include glass and unusual stuff like the list mentioned above.. i see a lot of stuff that may be worth a pretty penny..

marbles.. wow i never even thought of that..

i usually ask to see baseball/basketball or magic/yugioh cards.. as I know a bit about those hobbies that I can usually know whats good and whats not and you never know when you find one of those Black Lotus or Mox cards that as a magic player/collector is pretty much the "holy grail" of the game..

last year was my first real "year" i have some old records that I need to put up on ebay still.. i have a lot of junk I need to put up.. but school/job has me pretty busy.. and from what I can tell yard sales around here really don't start until mayish and we don't have a real thrift store..so its usually a quick day for me (from about 8 in the morning to about 11 maybe.. )

[quote name='erehwon']I have a question for you guys. What are some other things that I should be on the look out for at garage sales? I don't have job right now while I finish my last quarter of college. I'm thinking of doing a little ebaying on the side. I don't think I'll do much selling of games, since they are usually hard to come by in my area and will likely go straight into my collection. Any snes, ps1, and saturn games will definitely go into the collection. I'm looking for some other items besides games that I should be on the look out for. Some records and textbooks are some things that comes to mind.[/quote]

I'd usually look out for Ralph Lauren & Lacoste shirts -- higher-end neighborhoods tend to have these that they will sell to you for about $2 - 5. You are less likely to see dress pants, jeans, suits, etc. at yard sales though. Really, higher-end neighborhoods tend to have a bit more, although I think you are more likely to find people not willing to negotiate on the price.

I may start looking for DVD's when I go to yard sales this year -- I really want to find Criterion Collection stuff (ha!), but I wouldn't be surprised to not find them for cheap. So if I can get Airplane! for $2, that'll be cool with me.

I see fewer CD's and more tapes and records for some reason.

bread's done
Back