Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

Believe it or not, i have scored Criterions at garage sales. Of course they were stuff like Armageddon and Chasing Amy, but they're still Criterions dammit!

Thing are picking up a little bit, not much though. However, when there have been 1 or 2 sales in the last few weeks, the 8 or so I hit today seemed like a flood. Plus, I also had a very scary/odd occurrence.

To the scores:

Metroid Prime (Target Edition)
Spyro The Eternal Night (DS)
Sealed Clue Board Game
Sealed Hot Wheels Set
$12

Pokemon Stadium (N64)
Men in Black (Gameboy Advance)
Pokemon Silver (Gameboy Advance)
Pokemon Blue (Gameboy Advance) Ripped Sticker
Dragon Rider Hardback Book
$3

DS Carrying Case
Gameboy Color Carrying Case
Madagascar (DS-Cart Only)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (DS-Cart Only)
Shark Tale (GB Advance SP)
The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley!!! (Gameboy Advance)
Mary-Kate & Ashley Pocket Planner!!! (Gameboy Advance)
102 Dalmations Puppies to the Rescue (Gameboy Color)
Tom & Jerry (Gameboy Color)
Powerpuff Girls Bad Mojo Jojo (Gameboy Color)
$3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/2351987739/

My odd occurrence was when I saw a sign for a yard sale for an area of town that I am unfamiliar with, but for my riding around checking out yard sales. I said to myself that I had been to that address last summer, and sure enough it was a house I hit last summer. Absolutely no reason to remember the exact address, but when I pulled up to the house I just laughed to myself. Can't tell you what I did yesterday, but sure as hell can remember my yard sale houses!

Good luck to all.

I didnt go garagesaleing today due to the fact that there was a blizzard...I did go to town though and saw a sale on thee way....The lady said that she had just sold a huge box(2ftx2ftx1Ft) of games for 12, Plus an Xbox with about 10 games for $15....DANG!!! a guy at the gamestore said tha the had jus tpicked up a N64 with 10 games(mostly Marios) for $10!! I'm going out next week no matter how bad the weather is!!

Stuff found today:

findseklrjklwje001.jpg

$1 per item here

findseklrjklwje002.jpg

$7 for the stop sign that's now on my door.

[quote name='hermstyle']overpaid, theyre free if you arent worried about getting caught[/QUOTE]

Don't care. I'm not a thief.

Ico- $4

That was seriously the only good deal I found yesterday. >.>

It turned out ICO froze up during the video after you start a new game, so turned out to be a crappy deal. >.

[quote name='Kuros']Don't care. I'm not a thief.[/quote]

technically buying stolen merchandise is still illegal. and if it is an authentic stop sign then it is stolen.

[quote name='fly4rabbi']technically buying stolen merchandise is still illegal. and if it is an authentic stop sign then it is stolen.[/quote]

Not really. That sign actually looks pretty beat up. I know there's a local surplus store you can buy signs that have been replaced for cheap.

[quote name='darkslime']Ico- $4

It turned out ICO froze up during the video after you start a new game, so turned out to be a crappy deal. >.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Did you check the disc thoroughly? I ask because if it's scratched to hell, that COULD be the issue, or if the top label side is missing a piece that could do it too.

If there's no real visible damage, then it could be your PS2 that's messed up and needs a cleaning, since ICO is a blue disc(CD) PS2 game and those tax the PS2 ALOT when playing.[/quote]

True, if it is just scratches on the bottom of the disk you may want to check and see if you have any local stores that will resurface DVD's/games. it's cheap($1-$3) if that is all your copy needs that's still a heck of a lot cheaper than gettign ICO from E-bay.

[quote name='darkslime']Ico- $4

I was just curious if someone could update the old Cagwiki to this thread instead of last years thread..

doing a school powerpoint on yard sale tips and tricks and finds..

[quote name='urzishra14']I was just curious if someone could update the old Cagwiki to this thread instead of last years thread..

doing a school powerpoint on yard sale tips and tricks and finds..[/quote]
Done. Thanks!

What class is your powerpoint for?

[quote name='thack']First videogame score of the season. I snagged a PS2 w/ 2 controllers and Jak 3 for $10 at a yard sale today. Oddly, there was an XBOX right next to the PS2 that was marked $100.[/quote]

Wow, that's an amazing deal. I had to pay $20 for a DRE'd PS2 with no controllers or games. But I fixed it at least.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']Can you guys give me a quick list of rare older games? Like from the NES, SNES, PS1 etc.

I'm thinking about getting into this.[/quote]

RPGs aren't a bad place to start.

[quote name='moiety']Done. Thanks!

What class is your powerpoint for?[/QUOTE]

its for my basic computer buisness class.. we're learning powerpoint and we had to choose a topic to write about for a 5 minute presentation and I thought about how much the yard sale cagwiki helped me last year and its an interesting topic.

Yard Sales haven't kicked in for me yet this year.. (from what I can tell.. they don't usually start up until Mayish) and after doing some basic research last week i'm getting the itch to start doing it again.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']Can you guys give me a quick list of rare older games? Like from the NES, SNES, PS1 etc.

I'm thinking about getting into this.[/QUOTE]

it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.. are you reselling games afterwords or are you playing them?

i figure anytime i can purchase games for 5 dollars or less and I'm interested in playing them then the deal is a success.. many people on here consider 1 dollar the highest they go..

really the only games NOT worth picking up are sports titles or really really bad titles. I assume you've played enough games to know which are good and which are bad?.. my "guide" is

SNES - Any known RPG to me, shooters, platformers, and strategy games ..or any other titles of interest..i typically stay away from movie based titles.

Genny - I usually don't pick up any games for this system unless I get a great deal or I know what games I want.. too many sports titles on this system.

PS1 - You can't go wrong with most racers, 3d action, RPG, or other similar titles.. I try to stay away from graphic intensive games of this era because I know I won't like it.

PS2- has a lot of really quality titles.. i steer clear of earlier games from this system

xbox - same thing.. you can't go wrong with shooters on the xbox.

360 - any decent 360 i can find for under 5 bucks i'll go for.

[quote name='urzishra14']it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.. are you reselling games afterwords or are you playing them?

i figure anytime i can purchase games for 5 dollars or less and I'm interested in playing them then the deal is a success.. many people on here consider 1 dollar the highest they go..

really the only games NOT worth picking up are sports titles or really really bad titles. I assume you've played enough games to know which are good and which are bad?.. my "guide" is

SNES - Any known RPG to me, shooters, platformers, and strategy games ..or any other titles of interest..i typically stay away from movie based titles.

Genny - I usually don't pick up any games for this system unless I get a great deal or I know what games I want.. too many sports titles on this system.

PS1 - You can't go wrong with most racers, 3d action, RPG, or other similar titles.. I try to stay away from graphic intensive games of this era because I know I won't like it.

PS2- has a lot of really quality titles.. i steer clear of earlier games from this system

xbox - same thing.. you can't go wrong with shooters on the xbox.

360 - any decent 360 i can find for under 5 bucks i'll go for.[/quote]

Great suggestions...I couldnt have said it better myself....one more thing that i do is if someone has a bunch of games individualy priced, I stack them up take them to the cash table and offer about 2/3 of the sticker price, they usualy go for the bait. so instead of $20 for 20 $1 Ps1 gamesyou get them for $10-$15. works great almost 100% of the time.

Got 3 games today -

Bombastic (PS2 - complete)
Need for Speed Underground (GC - Player's Choice - complete & near mint)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (GC - Player's Choice - complete & near mint)

total spent: 9 bucks. The guy selling the two GC titles was originally asking $20 for the both of 'em, but I countered with $5 which he eventually took. Bombastic was found at a swap meet and they were asking $7 but I countered with $4 (I'd been wanting this one for awhile). She said "$5?" and I said "I really want to pay $4..." so she eventually took it.

Looking forward to Saturday's sale! I think I might have a lead on a SNES & a couple of games.

Scored a couple games today for $6.
-Harvest Mooln: A Wonderful Life (PS2)
-Diablo (PS1)
-PS2 Dual Shock Controller

Unfortunately, I got to the sale towards the end and the woman running it said she had sold about 30 PS2 games throughout the day and several PS1 as well. As always, the early bird gets the worm.

[quote name='thack']Scored a couple games today for $6.
-Harvest Mooln: A Wonderful Life (PS2)
-Diablo (PS1)
-PS2 Dual Shock Controller

Unfortunately, I got to the sale towards the end and the woman running it said she had sold about 30 PS2 games throughout the day and several PS1 as well. As always, the early bird gets the worm.[/quote]

Doncha love getting there late. That Diablo is worth a good $40 to $50 on Ebay depending when you list it.

Today I got a "Television Computer Games Super Color Volley X by Roberts" in the box. I have never heard of it but it looks to be an Oddessey type system. 4 paddles, 2 very real looking guns (rifle & pistol), hookups and manual. Box is a bit beat up, but still readable/together. Got it in a bigger box of stuff, so when you spread my $5 around I paid about .70 for it.

Pretty good day today. First stop:

Gamecube w/2 controllers for $10.

Kids had a Wii and did not need it anymore.

Next stop:

N64 Games
Mario Kart 64 x2
Mario Party 1
3rd Party Steering Wheel and Pedals

PS1 Games
Jeopardy
Namco Museum 1
Populous
Monopoly
Spiderman 2 Enter Electro

$10

Asked the lady if they had any video games, because there were none out for the sale. She said she had some N64 games and system. She went in the house and brought out the N64 and PS1 stuff. CIF'd $10 and she accepted.

She then asked if I had an XBox. I don't, but asked her to see what she had. She brought out 14 games. I have no idea what are good XBox games, so asked what she wanted and she said $30. I offered $20 and she countered $25. I took her up.

All XBox
Defender
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Night Caster
Pirates-The Legend of Black Kat
Oddworld Munch's Oddysee
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Lord of the Rings The Return of the King
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOY
Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance
Shrek Superslam
Knights of the Old Republic
Star Trek Shattered Universe
Sphinx

$25

After this transaction I decided to see if she would be interested in parting with her broken XBox. I figured if it was a stuck drawer I might be able to fix it. I asked her if they were no longer using the XBox if she would just give it to me and I would try to fix it. She said sure. Did not have a power plug, so I had to pick up one for $5 at Gamecrazy. Took it home, it works perfect! No catches, yet.

XBOX w/ 2 controllers

FREE

Big box of Thomas the Train toys and tracks
$50

My last stop was a moving sale. The guy didn't have any games, but did have a synthesizer that he was giving away. I am no musician, but my nephew is and I thought I would get it for him since the price was right. Called him and he already has one. So I passed. Looked it up on EBay as I was leaving and decided I should go back. Ends up it is a Yamaha DX7, which goes for a pretty penny on EBay. Not sure if it works. Gonna get my nephew to run it through its paces and see what he thinks. It is pretty beat up.

Yamaha DX7 Synthesizer/Keyboard

FREE

Pics (Sans Synthesizer)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/2371865546/

Good luck to you all!

so i just started doing the yard sale searching this year. Where do you guys live that you get such amazing hauls? is it older people selling their kids stuff or what cause I'm in a college town and its either all crappy nick knacks or overpriced last gen games. Stupid college kids thinking their stuff is worth hundreds

damn. no sales here yet. that makes me sad. I had so much fun last year doing this i hope i get a good haul. another thing that makes me sad is all the a holes that buy games and then resell them for outragious prices. example: came out of meijer today and saw a flyer on my car for a guy that was selling nes bundles. nes with mario 1,2,3. 145 bucks. what a steal. for him. argh. well good luck to everyone this year. maybe another month and it will pick up. stupid cold michigan weather.

Not really any yard sales around here yet. I want to take advantage of the next two months. They are my last of college and I'll have to get a full time job after that. It will really suck not being able to go out to sales. All the good stuff starts here on Thursday and Friday. I really enjoy the search and just driving around. I'll really miss it.

Must be nice to not have to work weekends to go hunt. When this semester ends I will be working just about every friday and saturday. Yardsales don't really start here until about a month

I'm hoping this Saturday will be our first day of the 2008 season. Winter has just not wanted to let go, but sales are starting to spring up. I'm glad several of you have already been out there!

I'm really excited about this year because we've bought our house and are moving in the end of April! We can finally properly display everything we've gotten over the years, plus whatever new things we find. :D

Well, it seems that slowly people are starting to get sales started around here. I went to only about 4 since that's all that there were unfortunately. However, I didn't do to bad...

First good sale today and only one of 4 found in the area. I stopped and looked around and saw some N64 games although only PS2 and Xbox games were mentioned in the ad. After looking through them I decided on a few. I wasnted to get all they had available but they did not want to negotiate. After negotialing as everthing I picked out was 5$ and I had 5 items, I CIF'ed 20$ and it was finally accepted. Out of this I got:

Super Smash Bros.
Mario Party 3
Twisted Edge Snowboarding
Snowboard Kids 2
From the Earth to the Moon (DVD Box Set)

I was definitely pleased here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2372700902/

As I was driving through town looking for unadvertised sales that were not on the local forum, I stumbled across a sale the one of the local halls. I stopped in and browsed for a bit and then found this Atari 7800. I saw it was marked $10 and decided to go for it. I asked if they would take $7 and they agreed. For my negotiation skills I scored:

Atari 7800 system w/ 2 paddles and power
Rampage (7800)
Hat Trick (7800)
Pole Position II (7800)
Realsports Baseball (7800)
Oink (2600)
Dig Dug (2600)
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (2600)
Robot Tank (2600)
Amidar (2600)
Pitfall (2600)
SwordQuest Fireworld (2600)
Frostbite (2600)
Plaque Attack (2600)
Space Invaders (2600)

Not to shabby I felt...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2372700756/

I ended up finding this game, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2, in a pawn shop for $10. No real big story hear but it seemed to be a good deal on it. Huzzah!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2372700598/

Next weekend is the City-Wide yard sale here is St. James so we'll see what treasures are surfaced here.

Wow Mirpkered, that is an awesome find!

Yah yardsales around my area haven't sprung up very much, but last year I bought a ton of gaming stuff for cheap. A couple of weeks ago I went, but ended up only finding a few items. I had better luck going to Goodwill afterwards and finding some stuff.

[quote name='fly4rabbi']Must be nice to not have to work weekends to go hunt. When this semester ends I will be working just about every friday and saturday. Yardsales don't really start here until about a month[/QUOTE]

i was in this boat for a while.. i requested sats off specifically for yard sales then I later learned that many people in this town do friday/saturday sales more often then just saturday sales..

this season i'll be working Fri and Sat nights so it works out great for me.

does anyone else have to compete with local gamestores for GarageSale merch? al local store here sends its workers out to grab up all the games.

^^^
I have a sneaky suspicion that I am. May be paranoia though. I have had missed at many sales where the sellers tell me that someone just came through that wiped them out. However, I've had many tell me that it was an older gentleman that hit them. Doubt that there are many 65 year old men staffing the locally owned game shop.

^weird. I heard that an older gentleman hits sales around here too, you don't happen to live in Decatur, Indiana do you? lol.

After just finding Dark Alliance 2 on Xbox yesterday, I saw on the local forum today Dark Alliance 1 and 2 for PS2. The asking price was $7 wach but I offered $12. It was taken and I left with:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2

This happens occasionally. I start looking for something in particular and find a multitude of it. I just recently found 3 copies of Fatal Frame (2 PS2 and 1 Xbox) in 2 weeks time. I just hope my luck continues to find other cool stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2378168061/

^ NICE, that has happend to me before on one occasion,but htey werent quite that rare. my biggest haul was finding 3 copies(1 even sealed) of Pikin 2, and 3 copies of Fire emblem for GC, all sold for an average of $50. It was awsome!!

[quote name='Sinnbox']does anyone else have to compete with local gamestores for GarageSale merch? al local store here sends its workers out to grab up all the games.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily in my exact area - but I know that the used game shop that I hit about 40 minutes away does scour the area garage sales during the summer. I was in there one day that he was bringing in an NES haul.

[quote name='fly4rabbi']I like the DC guns. Those go for a nice chunk of money. I picked up a DC last summer at garage sale and am trying to find a gun or two for it. Maybe i will get lucky. ONe local gaming store was trying to sell the gun and a game for $60. :shock:[/quote]

They do? That's good to know, as I have a couple of those (not available, of course)...

[quote name='karkyco']They do? That's good to know, as I have a couple of those (not available, of course)...[/quote]

Well on ebay they go for about 30-35$ per gun

Big time dilemma for tomorrow. 2 big neighborhood yard sales. One is across town and is my old reliable. A little worried that I have worn it out, but also worried that I will miss out. Other is right near my house. I have hit it before and found a few things. Not as good as the other neighborhood sale though. Aargh. An embarrassment of riches I suppose. My luck, I will hit the dry one, and by the time I get back to the other it will be too late.

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Went to my first few sales today and picked up:

PS1 1001 version with controller and 4 games for $8 (was marked $12 for the PS1 and $1 per game).
SNS The Simpson's "barts nightmare" with instructions and box $1

I also picked up some toys, glassware, and records.

Weather called for rain for Fri through Sun, so barely any sales were advertised. Of course, we got all the rain yesterday and today is dry. Hopefully next weekend...

Not a very good day at all. Thinking about hanging it up after burning nearly a half tank of gas. Probably won't, but pretty down. Went to my reliable semi-annual neighborhood sale, and just about every house I hit that had video games had just sold them. Very frustrating. I was on a very cold streak.

Came away with:

Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2)
$5

Knights of the Old Republic I
Elder Scrolls III:Marrowind
Some Dragonball Z GBA Game
$10

Oblivion Official Game Guide w/ Moisture Damage
Oblivion Game of the Year Game Guide-Decent Shape
$.20

Had a chance at getting a barely used XBOX360 w/ 20GB HD for $250. It looked to be barely used and everything was packed in the bag. However, don't really have a need for it and I am scared half to death to buy used because of the RRoD. Plus my wife would have slit my throat if I came home with it to keep.

Hopefully, will be better for the rest of you. I may add a picture link later.

bread's done
Back