Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

I havent seen Dom and Liz around in along time, probably sine they moved, but I know they update their personal site, but I forget the addy.

[quote name='schultzed']Do you want one? Badly? $20 is a good price (providing it included hookups and/or games). I would've offered 10 but settled at $15.[/QUOTE]

I already have one that I bought for $4 or $5 last year. :)

He wanted $35, I got him down to $20 and he wouldn't budge. I ended up buying a Voltron toy from him that he knocked from $10 to $5, but he wouldn't drop another $5 for both. It was complete with an extra (regular) controller, but no games.

Well, Ill go through and list what I found today. Still can't find a camera.

At the first garage sale I stopped I ran across a Sega Genesis Model 2. It didn't really come with any good games and just seemed a tad bit high for my taste at 10 dollars so I passed it up for now.

A few garage sales later I came across a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition graphing calculator for only 5 bucks and I knew how much some of these are worth so I couldn't pass it up and I grabbed it. It works too.

Then I came across a few more console bundles. Such as an xbox with 5 games for 50 bucks and a ps2 with 25 games for 120 bucks but I passed them up. I did come across Rachet and Clank going commando in the bundle with 25 games and got it for 2 dollars. I also ran into every bodies favorite game store owner and had to battle with him for the rest of the day. Turns out he bought out a few sales and I missed out on some good stuff due to him.

At the next sale I found stuff at they were cleaning out an old tenents apartment. Just some random gaming junk so I grabbed Ninja Gaiden (NES), a Sega Genesis Fight Stick and an old Gamecube controller. I asked how much she wanted and she said 5 dollars. So I offered 3 instead which she was hesitant take but she took in the end. However it turns out she didn't have the cash to break my 20 so she in turn told me I could have it all for 2 dollars which I took instantly. Lucky for me I had a few small bills in my pockets.

For about 20 or so sales I really didn't find much of interest. A few overpriced PS3 games such as Oblivion for 20 bucks each and some 360 games that i tried to get for 5 bucks but was rejected.

Finnaly I came across some box sets of dvds. Grey's Anatomy season 2 and 3 and they were marked 5 each. I thought of my mom who likes the show so I grabbed them for 4 bucks a piece.

A few sales later I came across Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Harvest Moon for the PS2 and I got them for a dollar a piece. I also grabbed Rollar Coaster Tycoon 3 Platinum for 50 cents.

Another nice find was the Component HD Video Switch by Pelican. I've been looking for one and got one for $2.25 at the next yard sale. It even had a set of component cables hence the 25 cents.

The rest of the day was pretty dull. Passed on a gamecube for 25 bucks with crappy games after trying to CIF with 15 bucks. I also passed on some 5 dollar gamecube games at another sale. In the end I decided to see if the Genesis was still there as I always like to buy a console at the village sales and I got it for 5 dollars. Now i got a model 1 and a model 2. Overall a pretty good day. A lot of the sales this year had quality stuff and I probably would have a bit more if I had more then 30 dollars or so to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a
Dreamcast w/3 controllers and some VMUs (I didn't count)
A DC lightgun
Capcom VS. SNK
House of the Dead 2
Power Stone 2
Zombie Revenge
A 6 button Genesis controller
A Multi-Tap for a Geneses
a RF adapter for a Genesis
Pokemon Red
and Battle Toads for Gameboy
For $31

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']RAD!

Ugh, I have a history with this game. I got the GC version for free from a friend. My brother and I spent hours trying to figure out how it worked. It took us half an hour to actually enter a game through the menu, then we couldn't figure out the controls because they mapped the keypad to the controller so badly. Took it to GS, they gave me $6 for it. To be honest, in my opinion you paid too much for it :lol:[/QUOTE]

On second thought, you are totally right. Intellivision Lives sucks. I was thinking of the Activision Anthology. Anyone who played 2600 in the old days should get the Anthology . . . its cheap on Amazon.

On Activision Anthology you unlock the old-school patches . . .

[quote name='phoenix529']Not much this weekend.
[/QUOTE]

Noble was having a city-wide garage sale last saturday and Norman was having its monthly flea market (always just full of junk). Most houses had junk, but I picked up some PS2 stuff. Best find of yesterday was 49 recent music CD's (Ex. Desert City Soundtrack, Against Me!, etc.) for $15. Also found a garage sale with tons of old PC games and strategy guides, some notables included Jurassic Park: Trespasser w/ guide, Star Wars Dark Forces II Jedi Knights with expansion and guide, and Oddworld: Abe's Exodus with guide.

I actually stopped by the flea market, but I only got a couple Fast and Furious model cars sealed for $10. They had a couple blu rays but I didn't even wanna know what they were asking.

finds080209.jpg

Metal Slug 7, Contra 4, The New Zealand Story Revolution - $11
Pokemon Game Boy Color - $10
Castlevania, San Fran Rush 2049 - $7
Sonic and Knuckles, Battletoads, Gunstar Heroes, TJ&E Funkotron and TMNT Tournament Fighters - $8
Xbox Component cables and a Xbox/GC/PS2 multi RF - $4

This is really OT for this thread, but does anyone know what type of karaoke machine would hook up to an MP3 player through the headphone jack? I picked up a cheap cassette based machine for next to nothing at a bag sale and put a cassette adapter in it and it works good, but I see a lot of karaoke machines at yard sales and would like to pick up something better. I don't need one with a monitor I just need it to do sing a long with MP3's.

I see a lot of CD based machines, is there any way to get these to work with an MP3 player?

So, does anyone know much about X-eye systems? I hooked this baby up and it boots up.

0801xeye.jpg

I can't seem to get it to run a cart but asks for a disc. I dug around thinking that I don't have any Sega CD games only to find a minty complete copy of Sonic CD (when did I get it?). So the CD runs fine. but not the carts . . . maybe I need to clean the contacts??? At the point where it would seem that cart should run, I get a black screen.

If anyone has one, can you tell me how to boot up cart. Is there anything special that you do?

[quote name='schultzed']
If anyone has one, can you tell me how to boot up cart. Is there anything special that you do?[/QUOTE]

there's no special boot-up process required for a cart -- just plug it in and turn it on. if cartridges seem to insert evenly and firmly (ie: the system "grips" them once inserted), then like you were saying, the contacts probably just need a good cleaning. these can be sort of difficult to clean thoroughly without an actual cleaning cartridge, but the poor-man's way to do it is this:

clean a cartridge so that it's free of dirt and corrosion and a cotton swab comes clean after rubbing the contacts with alcohol. then insert the cart in the system several times (after allowing it to dry, of course) and clean the cart again. after about one or two of these cycles, ensure the cartridge slot is dry, insert a cartridge and turn the X'Eye on. if it doesn't work, repeat the process a second time. if it still doesn't work after that, it may be time to open her up (if you're so inclined), as the problem is likely a damaged or failed electronic component.

good luck!

[quote name='SaraAB']This is really OT for this thread, but does anyone know what type of karaoke machine would hook up to an MP3 player through the headphone jack? I picked up a cheap cassette based machine for next to nothing at a bag sale and put a cassette adapter in it and it works good, but I see a lot of karaoke machines at yard sales and would like to pick up something better. I don't need one with a monitor I just need it to do sing a long with MP3's.

I see a lot of CD based machines, is there any way to get these to work with an MP3 player?[/QUOTE]

None, the CD based and tape based have extra data encoded, so you have to get special Cd's or tapes designed specifically for karaoke. I'm sure there are digital karaoke these days, but it would be special MP3 files.

[quote name='allyourblood']
clean a cartridge so that it's free of dirt and corrosion and a cotton swab comes clean after rubbing the contacts with alcohol.
good luck![/QUOTE]

I have some contact cleaner so I took an old cart and put some on it then inserted it a few times and then turned it on and voila . . . the cart worked! Then I came here and read your great suggestion :)

I'll have to give it good cleaning (inside and out).

Pretty good find for $1.

didn't find a lot of yard sales that had video game stuff this weekend, but one find more than made up for that!

PC Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, 4-disc set with manual, $3

PSX Chrono Cross (complete), $3

PS2 Sony Component Cables for Playstation 2
PS2 ICO (disc only)
PSX Chrono Cross (missing manual), $7 for all

NES Nintendo Entertainment System (like new, boxed, complete)
NES 123 games (4 w/manuals), $22 for all

GC Action Replay w/4MB memory card for Gamecube
XB Microsoft Xbox Remote Control (new & sealed), $4 for both

EDIT: oops, forgot these:

DC Marvel vs. Capcom rear insert
DC Resident Evil: Code Veronica manual
SNES Killer Instinct: Killer Cuts CD, all FREE

i couldn't believe i found two copies of Chrono Cross in one day, and just a few minutes apart. the complete one came from a sale that also had about 5-6 other PSX games, but they were either no good or i already owned them, so i bought just the one, having haggled it down from $5 to $3. the second Chrono Cross is missing the manual, but the discs are in great shape and as it came with ICO and the component cables, i wasn't going to leave it behind. they wanted $10 for all three items, i countered with $5, and we settled on $7.

the NES and games actually came from an elderly couple and was found late in the morning. they were under a table and i almost didn't see them, but the colors of the edge of the NES box caught my eye and seemed familiar. at first i thought it was just the system by itself, and then i realized the tub it was sitting on was full. of. games.

after having flipped the lid on the tub (and subsequently, my own), i asked them what they wanted for everything, to which the man replied, "thirty". now, mind you, it's as good as done for $30, but in an epic moment of cheapness i offered twenty. he countered with $25 and we finally settled on $22. as i was paying him, i asked where it had all come from. he said he bought the system new and then just picked up games "here and there" over the years, and neither he nor his wife played with it anymore.

what's odd is that looking at the system, it seems like it was played about three times and then put away (fires up first time, every time, by the way!), but the games are all obviously incomplete and some have label damage or marker on them, as seen in the pic above. i couldn't believe there wasn't a complete game in the bunch, and only four games included their manual. there are also a handful of duplicates and no rarities or valuable titles (out of 124 games? way to pick 'em!), except for an interesting multicart (my second one like this). who knows... i'm still stoked, in any event.

going forward, it's going to be hard for me to beat this NES heap; it may be a personal best in terms of sheer volume from one sale. value-wise, even if the system were "free", it works out to less than 18¢ per game, which smashes my usual cheapest NES game price of 50¢.

i see a lot of other folks had some great finds this past weekend as well... looks like summer is shaping up for everyone. here's to next weekend!

WOW Gratz on that nes haul, I thought my $75 haul last year with 3 systems and 250 games was good, but I think that tops it!! There are alot of games in there that I have never found in the wild...and what's with that Black LOLO cart? all the ones I have seen were grey. Thats possibly something to look into.

oops, forgot these:

DC Marvel vs. Capcom rear insert
DC Resident Evil: Code Veronica manual
SNES Killer Instinct: Killer Cuts CD, all FREE

and thanks!

[quote name='Bubbakja']None, the CD based and tape based have extra data encoded, so you have to get special Cd's or tapes designed specifically for karaoke. I'm sure there are digital karaoke these days, but it would be special MP3 files.[/QUOTE]

I don't know too much about this but I was able to get a cheap cassette based machine to work with an MP3 player in the way that I want it to so I guess I sticking with this until maybe I find another cassette based machine. I ripped the door off the machine and put the adapter in and it fired right up. I used a glue gun to get the adapter to stay in there. I used to rip the doors off cassette players all the time when I was younger cause they would just end up falling off anyways.

My cousins had an american idol karaoke machine that I couldn't get to work with regular CD's but it worked with the special ones (must be the special encoding). When you tried to sing with a regular CD nothing would come out of the mic. The thing is the music I listen to isn't available in the US and it would be impossible for me to find special karaoke tapes or CD's, let alone regular ones, so its MP3 or nothing.

Oh and that NES was definitely an epic find.

[quote name='Sinnbox']WOW Gratz on that nes haul, I thought my $75 haul last year with 3 systems and 250 games was good, but I think that tops it!! There are alot of games in there that I have never found in the wild...and what's with that Black LOLO cart? all the ones I have seen were grey. Thats possibly something to look into.[/QUOTE]

I second the black Lolo cart, what's up with that? I've only seen grey, never black.

I said I wasn't going to buy anymore games for collection or ebay stock for awhile after spending about $500 on stuff last week, but fuck, these good finds are making me want to go yard saling on Saturday.

That JVC X*Eye is worth around $100 depending on the condition. I sold one last year that was in good shape for $125, I also sold a SEGA CD-X with three crummy games and Sonic CD for $105.

A lot of these finds are nice.

I haven't found anything like that all year
Last year it was the CD-X, a copy of FFVII for a $1, and a complete Colecovision

[quote name='Sinnbox']WOW Gratz on that nes haul, I thought my $75 haul last year with 3 systems and 250 games was good, but I think that tops it!! There are alot of games in there that I have never found in the wild...and what's with that Black LOLO cart? all the ones I have seen were grey. Thats possibly something to look into.[/QUOTE]

sorry, there's no mystery. somebody just colored the darn thing all over with a black marker. :lol: luckily, there are two, and one is unscathed.

thanks for all the nice comments, folks!

[quote name='allyourblood']

then just picked up games "here and there" over the years,

except for an interesting multicart [/QUOTE]

NES games used to be very, very common (at rummage and resale shops). He must've bought all these at sales over the years . . . never playing them but collecting them. He did you a great service :)

I have one of those multicarts . . . I wonder what the value is on it?

[quote name='schultzed']NES games used to be very, very common (at rummage and resale shops). He must've bought all these at sales over the years . . . never playing them but collecting them. He did you a great service :)

I have one of those multicarts . . . I wonder what the value is on it?[/QUOTE]

Ya, hauls like that make me wonder how many NES Hoarders there are out there, I know there are 2-3 guys in my town that hoard NES games at garage sales, I can't wait untill they have thier own sale and off load them.

I have come a cross several sales run by people that hoarded 2600 games back in the day, coming home with over 300 games one time, shurely there will be epic NES hauls of similar proportions in years to come, I know I have almost 500 NES games in my room from buying them at sales...I would love to find someone else like me that is having a sale!!

This is not a Garage Sale haul, I found it on Craigslist, but I thought I would share it here since this is the thread i post the most in.

P.S. Sorry for the bad image quality, my Camera is not wanting to work, so i used my phone.....and sorry for the old sock.....that was not part of the great haul....

I just got back from a Craigslist haul, I had an add out looking for games, and someone called me from the next county over which is weird because there is a huge reseller over there that posts want adds on craigslist almost daily. this guy had alot of good games but was asking $225. I offered $150 and we settled on $175, and I threw in afew PS3 games I had gotten cheap at garage sales since he is saving money for a PS3.

He had to leave on a business trip so his wife got out the games for me, but some were missing from the list he e-mailed me, but I didnt want to haggle with his wife about it. the only one that I realy wanted that was missing was Operation C for the gameboy.

Here are my finds...

Systems:
Orange N64(finaly a second color to add to my collection, all I usualy find are the black ones. The only other color I have is green.)
Super Nintendo.
NES
SEGA Genesis with CD Attachment.

Nintendo Game:
Indiana Jones Temple of Doom - in box
Indiana Jones and the last Crusade
Night Shade
Contra Super
Mario Bros 2
Contra Force
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles3
Contra Super C
Rambo
The Karate Kid
Superman
Spider-man Return of the Sinister six
Batman
Ghost n' Goblins
Batman Return of the Joker
Kid Icarus
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Castlevania
Who framed Roger Rabbit
Castlevania 2
Simon's Quest The Goonies 2
Castlevania 3
Dracula's Curse Double Dragon 2
Ghostbusters
Skate or Die 2
Ghostbusters 2
Terminator
Darkwing Duck
Terminator 2
Renegade
Robo Cop 1 &2
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
The Punisher
Tetris
Friday the 13th
GIJOE
Adams Family Festers Quest
Renegade
Rescue The Embassy Mission
Medal Gear Snakes Revenge
Game Genie

Super Nintendo Games:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4- Turtles in Time
Spiderman
Terminator 2
Robo Cops vs. Terminator
Aliens vs. Predator
Clue
Terminator 2 The Arcade Game
Jurassic Park Part 2- in box
Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back-in box

Nintendo 64 Games:
Castlevania
Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Sega:
NHL Hockey - in box
Batman Returns - in box
Sonic
Sonic2
Altered Beast
Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles The Hyperstone Heist

Sega CD:
Hook
The Terminator
Mary Shelly Frankenstein
Cliff Hanger
Spiderman vs. Kingpin

Other Games:
Gameboy- Castlevania Adventure, TMNT Fall of the foot Clan, The Punisher, Duck Tales 2
Nintendo DS: Final Fantasy 3
Playstation:Resident Evil 2, The Legend of Dragoon
Playstation 2: Grand Theft Auto 3, Seek and Destroy
Game Boy Advance: Ghost Rider
HERE ARE THE FINDS OF THE DAY!!!

I was stoked for the Daracula X, Orge Battle, and Contra force, I had been looking for them forever!!!

Do any of you find any big name gamecube games in the wild for cheap? I'm talking like zelda twilight, mario kart double dash, etc. etc., I never really see gamecube games in the wild.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Do any of you find any big name gamecube games in the wild for cheap? I'm talking like zelda twilight, mario kart double dash, etc. etc., I never really see gamecube games in the wild.[/QUOTE]Yeah, all the time. Last time I went yard saling I found Mario Sunshine and Mario Party 6 for $3 each. First party gamecube games are one of the most common things I find.

Sales for the last couple weeks have been rather slow. Missed out on a couple of game deals to the whole I walk up as the person with a stack of games is walking away. Deals are below.

IMG_2903.jpg

Playstation 2 Network Adapter in a box - $1

IMG_2902.jpg

N64 - Strike Zone
PS1 - NHL 98, In the Zone 99, Destruction Derby 3D, Crash Bandicoot 2(hologram), MLB 98, GameDay 99, Twisted Metal 3, Game Shark V2, 3 Demo Discs, Crash Bandicoot Warped, Madden 2002 - $10

IMG_2901.jpg

N64 - RF Adapter+ Cord
N64 Rumple + Save Pak
AV Cables
PS2 Wireless Controller Adapter
PS2 Network/HDD Adapter
PS2 controller -> Xbox/GameCube Adapter
Playstation AV Cable
Playstation Game Shark
2 Dual Shock Controllers
AV Switcher
Originally wanted $25 for the box, but went back the next day and CIF'd $5.

IMG_2900.jpg

Turbo Grafx 16 CIB Games - Bravoman, Golf, Legendary Axe, Legendary Axe II, Serve & Spike, Splatterhouse, NFL Sports: Football - IAP $2 each, CIF'd $5, countered at $7

IMG_2912.jpg

Genny Games - Rex, Altered Beast, Tiny Toons, Marsupilami, Jurrasic Park, Fun 'N Games, Magic School Bus, Power Rangers, Ecco Tides of Time - $9

IMG_2883.jpg

PSone with LCD, 2 Dual shock controllers, AV cords, Power Cable, Car Adapter + 43 games - $40

IMG_2884.jpg

Complete Super Nintendo with 2 Controllers, 11 games, DreamCast with controller. Noteable Games - Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All-Stars, Claymates, Lost Vikings - $20

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Do any of you find any big name gamecube games in the wild for cheap? I'm talking like zelda twilight, mario kart double dash, etc. etc., I never really see gamecube games in the wild.[/QUOTE]

Some weeks I find a lot of first party GC games. I got Pikmin, Mario Party 4, 5 , Starfox Assault and some others in the last month.

Sometimes they are way overpriced but sometimes it is like $3.

What I never see around here is Sega stuff. Guess this was solid Nintendo country.

finds080409.jpg

SNES with:

Total Carnage, Super Mario RPG, Super Street Fighter 2 (2 copies), Mortal Kombat, Maui Mallard, Super Mario All Stars, DKC 2, Street Fighter 2 and Super Mario Kart - $30

Sim Earth (PC) - $2.20

[quote name='darkslime']I see Yoshi's Island in the middle, and the manual on the side.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw the manual, but couldn't catch the game. But now that you point it out, yeah, it's right above the first SMW. I've been wanting to play that game since I was like 10. (And I'm 23.)

Stopped at a Thur. sale . . . kid had about 10 360 games (trying to get $ to get a PS3). I guess he got the red ring of death but can't easily get it fixed cuz its a refurb unit (I would never, ever get a 360 refurb).

Anyway, I wanted to help him because of his goal--but didn't see much I really wanted. I did pick up a mint and complete copy of Gears of War (I've never had it). He had it marked for $10 but accepted $5.

At another table his younger bro had KOTR (first game Xbox) for $2. He accepted $1 . . . this one I'll flip.

[quote name='oscargrouch']
What I never see around here is Sega stuff. Guess this was solid Nintendo country.[/QUOTE]That's lucky, I see so much genesis crap I pass up. The majority of it is fairly worthless, and whenever there's a lot with decent genny games it's overpriced.

Went out today and yesterday and got absolutely nothing. Hardly saw any games, only were crappy sports PS2 games and Guitar Hero On Tour game for $45. :roll: Hopefully I'll have better luck next week. It'll probably the last week Im able to get out.

[quote name='darkslime']That's lucky, I see so much genesis crap I pass up. The majority of it is fairly worthless, and whenever there's a lot with decent genny games it's overpriced.[/QUOTE]

I see loads of Genesis stuff here too, but usually none of the good stuff, except for that one find I had this summer. Anyways though games for 50 cents or so is hard to beat so I usually buy whatever non sports games I find. I find way more Genesis then Super Nintendo, and actually SNES stuff is fairly rare around here. Sega's advertising definitely was effective in my area. The couple times I have found SNES stuff it was very overpriced. The cheapest SNES in the wild I have seen was 15$ and that was the one I bought probably 7-8 years ago. Most want 30 or 40 just for the system. There doesn't seem to be any later Sega stuff like Saturn or Sega CD, or earlier stuff like Master System. People definitely went from NES to Genesis here, in the past I have seen quite a bit of NES stuff but that seems to have dried up.

I had a little luck today, but not a ton.

I got a PSOne (small one) with a power cord and a third party red controller for $5. It needs an AV cable, but my dad has a bunch of extras from the PS's he killed. My sister got an SNES, no cables or cords or controllers (again, we have extras from dead systems), for $5 as well. No games to be found. Also there, I got a 256MB GE USB drive for .50. Fairly useless size wise, but it was still in the box and for .50, meh. I'll prob give it to my bro. Oh, and a Jagermeister hat for a quarter. The woman said she never wore it and got it at a bar.

At another yardsale, I saw an NES box with the toploader. I was amped but opened it to find it was just the system with no cables or cords. The woman said it worked and was $2, so for that price, I shelled out for it.

Other random stuff I got was a cigar box for a quarter (nothing valuble, I just sorta collect them) and a pair of Camaro sunglasses (aka gas station stand crap) at a farmer's market stall for $2. They fit me well enough and sunglasses are hard for me to find for my narrow face.

I also lucked into a couple nice shirts for my bro... a Bam Heart-o-gram, Lucky Charms and Mr. Rogers... all three for $1. Oh, and eight Power Rangers figures and a bag with some other power ranger stuff in it for $10 total.

Decent day, although no actual games. I saw two PS2 titles I passed on for $3 (just checked amazon and neither are worth flipping for that), a Command & Conquer PC title for $3 aswell and then two old 2004 XBox magazine discs, not marked.

I'd have to agree with SaraAB. Im also down in western new york. Usually cover a lot of my area and not by buffalo but Super Nintendo stuff is a rarity to be seen. My last SNES was a year ago and of course I bought it. But Genesis stuff has also been going down. However I see a lot more Genesis then Super Nintendo. I would say the best find around my area is overpriced Gamecubes. Everybody bought a Wii so now they sell their gamecubes with no controllers and want 40+ dollars.

[quote name='SaraAB']I see loads of Genesis stuff here too, but usually none of the good stuff, except for that one find I had this summer. Anyways though games for 50 cents or so is hard to beat so I usually buy whatever non sports games I find. I find way more Genesis then Super Nintendo, and actually SNES stuff is fairly rare around here. Sega's advertising definitely was effective in my area. The couple times I have found SNES stuff it was very overpriced. The cheapest SNES in the wild I have seen was 15$ and that was the one I bought probably 7-8 years ago. Most want 30 or 40 just for the system. There doesn't seem to be any later Sega stuff like Saturn or Sega CD, or earlier stuff like Master System. People definitely went from NES to Genesis here, in the past I have seen quite a bit of NES stuff but that seems to have dried up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my area was defintely Genesis country. It's dried up a bit since I moved (but to be honest... I've bought like 50 games so far), but I still find some. SNES stuff is harder to come by, especially games. I've lucked into DK Country for $1 and Punchout for $2.50, but that's it (I gotten maybe two or three other titles for $1-$3, but nothing to worth writing about). Genesis is always cheap... at yardsales it's always under $2 a game, outside of one crazy lady who wanted $50 for a haggard looking first edition system and a dozen games... all of which were crap to commons to meh.

I saw one Saturn game and price checked it afterwards and it was one that's fairly worthless. No Sega CD, which is a shame as my friend has one and limited games and has said he'd buy anything reasonably priced I find or sell it if it's worth anything.

I've never seen anything from the Master System in my entire life. Anywhere. Period. I never even knew it existed until a few years ago, tbh.

I see NES at thrift stores some, but seldom at actual yard sales.

[quote name='dodgeme']I'd have to agree with SaraAB. Im also down in western new york. Usually cover a lot of my area and not by buffalo but Super Nintendo stuff is a rarity to be seen. My last SNES was a year ago and of course I bought it. But Genesis stuff has also been going down. However I see a lot more Genesis then Super Nintendo. I would say the best find around my area is overpriced Gamecubes. Everybody bought a Wii so now they sell their gamecubes with no controllers and want 40+ dollars.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen a Gamecube in the wild. Then again, I know from the manager that the nearby Gamestop got hit HARD with people trading them in for Wiis after it's release. I saw two at a consignment shop that since closed... they were priced $50-$60, no games, each with one controller. I had to talk my sister out of buying them as they dropped to $30 at GS.

I live in a pretty crazy area. From what I can tell most people seemingly went NES - Genesis - PS/64 - PS2. X-Box stuff wasn't overy uncommon, but the market definitely dried up. I guess people started dumping them at Gamestop/fye when they had the chance.

Last summer I had two amazing SNES finds two weeks in a row, one system with a bunch of games for $5 and one system with a few games and a super scope for $8, I've also found a system with no cords for $1 sometime earlier this year, but other than that I've never found SNES for good prices.

I see a lot of gamecubes. When I was in Delaware a few weeks ago there was a gamecube for $1 with two controllers I bought, but the rest are all very overpriced.

Another thing I never see is NES and Master System stuff. My Ninja Gaiden game was probably the first in 2 years. Another very popular thing here was the Playstation. I find one almost every time I go out.

[quote name='dodgeme']Another thing I never see is NES and Master System stuff.[/QUOTE]

This place is PS2 country, close runner-up being NES. It's all crap though. Max Payne was a good find, as was Tekken 3 today, but they were too expensive to actually buy. And about the Master System, my local Vintage Stock is overflowing with Master System games. I don't know if they're good, I haven't looked, but they're cheap.

I got some pretty sweet finds today, but I won't say until I take pics in a few minutes.

[quote name='dodgeme']I'd have to agree with SaraAB. Im also down in western new york. Usually cover a lot of my area and not by buffalo but Super Nintendo stuff is a rarity to be seen. My last SNES was a year ago and of course I bought it. But Genesis stuff has also been going down. However I see a lot more Genesis then Super Nintendo. I would say the best find around my area is overpriced Gamecubes. Everybody bought a Wii so now they sell their gamecubes with no controllers and want 40+ dollars.[/QUOTE]

Its real urban around here and you can tell. Everyone is doing everything they can to be cool, and if that means buying Sega when Nintendon't then so be it. I even see it when I am shopping in the game stores and on the piles of current gen stuff I see at sales. People are buying Halo and Madden and anything else that is super popular and they aren't buying anything else. Everyone is looking for games with blood in them and so called mature titles. If your a 7 year old here and haven't played halo then you are really behind for your age. The good thing about it is that I can get JRPG's when they are on sale and not have to worry about everyone buying them all out, from what I understand there are parts of the country where these go out of stock very fast since no one plays these games or even looks at them. I usually never have a problem with a store selling out of a game, you can always get the game you want on release day without having to suffer for it. The overpriced GC's around here are getting ridiculous, people want 50$ for them and they don't come with anything.

On the contrary I don't think people bought many games for the GC around here, probably because hardly anyone bought a GC and everyone bought a PS2. The GC owners were mostly 6 year old kids who "grew out" of their systems very quickly and then stepped up to the PS2. Likely what happened is a kid got a GC for his birthday or Xmas with a couple games then tossed it aside when next year's gift was a PS2. I never find first party GC games, probably because not many people bought them in the first place. I see a lot of Xbox360 stuff, but I don't have a 360 or any desire to own one so I don't buy the stuff. In order to get stuff at sales you have to have people that bought it first.

There was a guy last year that had a bunch of SNES stuff but it was like 75$ for everything which was a system + like 25 games or something like that. However all the games were crap that probably selling on ebay for $1-5 if that, not that I value a game by its ebay value but there was just nothing there that was even worth picking up this bundle for. There was a lady the year before that with a SNES but she wanted $40 for it.

[quote name='SaraAB']Its real urban around here and you can tell. Everyone is doing everything they can to be cool, and if that means buying Sega when Nintendon't then so be it. I even see it when I am shopping in the game stores and on the piles of current gen stuff I see at sales. People are buying Halo and Madden and anything else that is super popular and they aren't buying anything else. Everyone is looking for games with blood in them and so called mature titles. If your a 7 year old here and haven't played halo then you are really behind for your age. The good thing about it is that I can get JRPG's when they are on sale and not have to worry about everyone buying them all out, from what I understand there are parts of the country where these go out of stock very fast since no one plays these games or even looks at them. I usually never have a problem with a store selling out of a game, you can always get the game you want on release day without having to suffer for it. The overpriced GC's around here are getting ridiculous, people want 50$ for them and they don't come with anything.

On the contrary I don't think people bought many games for the GC around here, probably because hardly anyone bought a GC and everyone bought a PS2. The GC owners were mostly 6 year old kids who "grew out" of their systems very quickly and then stepped up to the PS2. Likely what happened is a kid got a GC for his birthday or Xmas with a couple games then tossed it aside when next year's gift was a PS2. I never find first party GC games, probably because not many people bought them in the first place. I see a lot of Xbox360 stuff, but I don't have a 360 or any desire to own one so I don't buy the stuff. In order to get stuff at sales you have to have people that bought it first.

There was a guy last year that had a bunch of SNES stuff but it was like 75$ for everything which was a system + like 25 games or something like that. However all the games were crap that probably selling on ebay for $1-5 if that, not that I value a game by its ebay value but there was just nothing there that was even worth picking up this bundle for. There was a lady the year before that with a SNES but she wanted $40 for it.[/QUOTE]

My SNES last year cost about 30 dollars but I got alot of first party games like DK, Zelda and others like Killer Instinct. I was happy with it. I can also get any game when it comes out around here. I usually can stroll into a walmart and find what ever im looking for. The only game I ever had trouble getting was Fallout 3 for my 360. My walmart sold it out at midnight when it came out and then they didn't restock it for 2 weeks, so I ended up going to buffalo to buy it. The thing that sucks with garage sales is im in rural farm country pretty much so unless villages are having village wide sales you usally have to go a couple miles to get to the next sale.

bread's done
Back