Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

I am still working on my pics, but I did see basically all the major systems for $25 each at one sale. TG16, SNES, N64, NES, Sega Master System with box ($15). I wanted to go back for the master system, but I forgot.

I also got up at 6 am drove 35 minutes and was disappointed with a sega cd lot, that the guy wanted $50 for. I did buy some comics from him for $45 that are worth about $500 (they are all keys).

At another sale a guy had comics @ $1 each. I asked if he could do any better and he told me I could fill a short box for $20. I pulled several silver age Avengers books including # 52 in fine condition, so I am really pleased with that sale.

I have to go through my other finds still, so I will post in a day or two.

[quote name='slowdive21']At another sale a guy had comics @ $1 each. [/QUOTE]

I wish I knew comics . . . but I'm pretty sure that I never see any really good stuff anyway. Golden age? I only see very recent kiddie comics. Any tricks to finding them?

But I also suspect that other people beat me on a lot of stuff. There is one guy who knows antiques (including books) . . . I'm pretty sure he scoops up many gems.

General rule of thumb for comics...If it has a cover price of 15¢ or less (12¢,10¢) and it is $1 or less, buy it.

You can always at least double your money back as long as it is not missing pages or the whole cover.

Realistically you could turn around silver age books for $5 each on ebay, but I would look them up in an Overstreet comic price guide before you sell them. (Most libraries have the guides and some even let you check them out).

[quote name='TiKi2']If any of you want to trade or sell your borken old carts lemme know.[/QUOTE]

I'll see if I have any borken carts laying around. Are those Swedish games?

muppet-chef.jpg

[quote name='Ash Burton']I'll see if I have any borken carts laying around. Are those Swedish games?

muppet-chef.jpg
[/QUOTE]

First thing I thought of when I saw that post was the chef. When I saw your post, I must admit I LOLed.

I forgot to mention I also picked up a 3m mpro110 mini projector for $35. Took a gamble on that one. Judging by the auctions I could at least get my money back.

[quote name='Ash Burton']I'll see if I have any borken carts laying around. Are those Swedish games?

muppet-chef.jpg
[/QUOTE] LOL , you got me on that one.

I convinced my dad to drive me to a couple while we were out yesterday(car is still borked:() and I picked up a few things. May have overpaid, but I'm still happy:

Sale 1:
GTA San Andreas PS2 Hot Coffee version & Prince of Persia The Two Thrones (Xbox)
Total: $4 (wanted $3 + $2, but I talked her down easily since the PoP case had a crack in it, disc was fine though)

Sale 2:
Metal Gear Solid PS1 black label - $10 (mint condition, discs had a bit of dust, but it's complete and perfect)
007 From Russia With Love (Xbox) - $5
PS2 Memory Card (Sony) 8GB - $5

That's all I wanted to visit, and I was especially happy with the GTA SA HC version for $2, and the MGS1 for my collection. :D

[quote name='blindinglights']Again, not really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-Complete-Practicly-New-/230508530281?pt=Video_Games_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-PlayStation-1998-/130416917899?pt=Video_Games_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-Ps1-PSX-Playstation-Complete-/140433548241?pt=Video_Games_Games

Some of the auctions are going for more, up towards $20s, but not consistently.

The copy I mentioned getting was complete, black label, with demo disc.

The sequel tends to fetch a little bit higher.[/QUOTE]

The idea is to call out that the demo is included in the title. None of your examples do that. I sell on eBay and every time I sell a Parasite Eve with a demo, I list it as "w/ FFVIII Demo". I consistently get ~$26 shipped. How much something sells for has a lot to do with how descriptive you get with your title and description, also whether you will ship internationally. I'm pretty sure all my demo copies were sold internationally. None of your posted examples offered international shipping.

[quote name='Doomstink']How much something sells for has a lot to do with how descriptive you get with your title and description . . .[/QUOTE]

This is a great point for selling in general. Describing a case and instructions is important. I think this helps on Amazon just in saying that a CD comes with liner notes and artwork . . . all the others listed probably are complete as well but the fact that you mention it makes a difference. Likewise, saying a videotape isn't a formal rental can be worth an extra buck or two.

[quote name='schultzed']Here is a good example of the discussion we started back in June. There is money to be made at rummage sales even if you end up disappointed by not finding games.

Of course, Willynate has aquired a pretty rare find (good job!). Good Fisher Price sets are rare to begin with but also hotly sought by buyers. Sounds like the seller had their head way up their a**. Was it really poorly displayed? I'm guessing that if these had been put out to best advantage they would have fetched much more money (for the seller) and would have sold early in the sale. One is likely to find 10 SNES systems before they make another FP toy find like this.
.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I didn't go by this sale until after 10:30 (an hour and a half after it started) and the castle and all the pieces were under a table. The lady doing the sale said they've been sitting down in her basement for years.

The funny thing is is that I've NEVER seen an SNES at a sale around in my area. I'm pretty sure there are several online sales guys that hit them fast and quick. One sale down the road from me started right at 8 and was advertising an N64. I was there at 8:15 and it was gone.

[quote name='Doomstink']The idea is to call out that the demo is included in the title. None of your examples do that. I sell on eBay and every time I sell a Parasite Eve with a demo, I list it as "w/ FFVIII Demo". I consistently get ~$26 shipped. How much something sells for has a lot to do with how descriptive you get with your title and description, also whether you will ship internationally. I'm pretty sure all my demo copies were sold internationally. None of your posted examples offered international shipping.[/QUOTE]

Even with your increasingly more specific instructions, it really doesn't take it towards that $30 price point that initially started this discussion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-1-P...Demo-3-CDs-/330456986635?pt=Video_Games_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parasite-Eve-PlayStation-1998-W-COLLECTORS-CD-/140431574764?pt=Video_Games_Games

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-1-PS1-Game-Parasite-Eve-w-Demo-/250671938175?pt=Video_Games_Games

I know the last two don't ship worldwide, but hardly anything comes up in completed listings when you put demo, or collector's cd, or bonus cd in the title.

I just don't think as many people have been after this game over the past few months. Like I mentioned previously, the second game seems to be doing a little better in asking price, but even that seems to have gone down some recently. Parasite Eve is probably my favorite game/IP from the PlayStation generation, so I'm always searching for related stuff on eBay. I have a couple copies of both games along with guide books and some related merchandise. That's why I chimed in on this specific game, not trying to just contradict :).

I do see your point about the title though. I would think saying FFVIII demo in the title would probably catch a few people that weren't searching for the PE initially.

I went to a Sunday sale and picked up Silent Hill 1 (GH Edition) and a dozen jewel cases for a dollar. There was a copy of Tomb Raider The Last Revelation but I hated that game so I passed.

Picked up- All PS1 $2 each

Chrono cross CIB
FF7- GH no book
Marvel SH vs. Street fighter CIB
Saga Frontier 2 CIB
Monster Rancher 2 CIB
Battle Hunter CIB
Spawn CIB

I also saw Chocobo's dungeon 2 and Thousand Arms but another guy grabbed em first...i also got a Powerstone and Fire emblen SS guide for a buck each. ill post a pic l8er.

Oh ya, i picked up 2 genesis games too for a buck each- CIB

Theme Park
World of Illusion

Total - $18
100_0238_1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Boxed Atari 2600 With 2x Paddles (One New), 2x Joysticks, Power Adaptor, Game Center (Forgot The Top In The Picture), A Few Manuals & 16 Games - $35

The one house near my place I saw was having a sale mentioned to me last sale that a family member had an Atari and that they could possibly bring it next sale. I made it my first stop just incase and they ended up having it out for sale with a "make offer" sticker. I started with an offer of $5 like I usually do but the lady showed her hand it was $35 firm. I left and actually came back after I was done yardsaling and ended up getting it at about 11.

Non Find BS
Got out today just before 8 and was home at about 10:45. This was probably my smallest list of sales for a Saturday this year at 18 sales but I ended up getting to 32 sales total with non advertised sales etc. etc.

One of the first houses I got to this morning mentioned an "Atari" that I missed that was sold early as it sounded like it was bought while the lady was setting up so it could have been some plug & play or even the real deal and another house mentioned a few games that sold already but it was probably nothing special. Don't really recall anything I passed on that was way overpriced.

One house had PS2 games probably about 90% sports games and I'm not even sure what they were asking but it may have been the worst spread of Playstation 2 games I've even seen considering all of the outdated sports games. This was a pretty good number of PS2 games, I'd guess fairly close to 50 games and it looked like just about every year for some of the sports franchises.

I also saw store displays for Kingdom Hearts 2 & God of War II. I didn't notice a price and figured they weren't going to be get it out of the house cheap and didn't even bother asking since they would take up so much room.

I only spent a buck today before going back for the Atari stuff on 2 CDs. While the box shows some wear like you would expect this is the first time I've seen a boxed 2600 that actually included some of the packaging inside the box. Going back and buying the Atari after a day of not really finding anything shows that I have some sort of problem and for the lack of a better term had to scratch the itch and at least buy something as when I get around to selling off an extra system with this many games I really will be making very little and it will be more work then it's worth on this one @_@

Went to this guy's house planning on picking up just the TG-16 for $50 but ended up paying $120 + a $10 Best Buy reward zone certificate (didn't have enough cash) for the following:

2psm1yh.jpg

FC3 Plus clone thing and 2 controllers

SNES:
Star Fox NOT FOR RESALE demo
Troy Aikman Football
NBA Jam
Ken Griffey Jr Major League Baseball
Blades of Steel
TMNT II
Double Dribble
Tecmo Baseball
Hogan's Alley
SMB/DH
MLB
Popeye
RC Pro Am

Genesis:
Rugby World Cup 95
NHL 94
NBA Jam
Super Wrestlemania
Sports Talk Football
Lion King
Chakan
Golden Axe
World Series Baseball

111jbl4.jpg

2zi679e.jpg

3DO console w/ cords, 3 controllers, flight stick
Gex
Theme Park
Primal Rage
Love Bites
Corpse Killer disc only
Way of the Warrior
Sample This!
Slam Jam 95
Pebble Beach Golf Link
Seal of the Pharoah
Total Eclipse disc only
Myst
3DO Interactive Sampler 3 no back art
Primal Rage (second copy in a one disc box instead of a 2 disc box, both have one disc :/)
Panasonic Sampler CD
John Madden Football disc only
Blade Force
Psychic Detective
PO'ed
Super Wing Commander
AD&D Slayer
AD&D Deathkeep disc only
Street Fighter II Turbo (accidentally pictured w/ the TG16 lot)

2guxwk4.jpg

TurboGrafx 16 w/ cords, controller, turbobooster, instructions
Legendary Axe
Neutopia
Bloody Wolf
Dungeon Explorer
Victory Run
Ninja Spirit
Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge card only
Keith Courage
World Class Baseball

and he also threw in these games for free when i asked about them he doesn't have a gc anymore.......

2j3qgsn.jpg

unfortunately college basketball 2k3 doesn't have a manual but I'm not complaining.

Also picked these up for $25 total at a Pawn shop on the way back:

zxmsna.jpg

FFX
Amplitude
Guitar Hero Dual Pack
Morrowind GOTY disc only
Pokemon FireRed (at least I assume it is, no label but no other gba games are red)

Here we go...

About 65 VHS tapes for $5, I think I overpaid.

Wii covers, DS game case, Wii branded case 70 cents.

Pile of Pokemon cards 50 cents.

3 Gameboy games 10 cents each.

Streets of Rage 2 (not for resale) $1

Pokemon guide, original Merlin with box and instructions, (vintage) electronic slot machine $2

Risk 1968 complete (I believe) $1

Just thought I would let you know guys, if you're going through yard sales, be on the lookout for old sierra MS-DOS games.

I found at a yard sale a month or so ago, a box full of them. 13 games, most in complete, great condition, and I got the lot for $10. It had a bunch of stuff worth not a whole lot, but there were 2 gems inside - "Pepper's Adventure's in Time", and "Ecoquest 2: Lost Secrets of the Rainforest"

Here's some pictures:
1000402e.jpg
1000404t.jpg

They looked like a box of books when I passed by them, so I paid not attention to them until the woman said they were the only games they had at the sale.

Pepper sold for $40 and Ecoquest sold for $50. I probably could have gotten at least $60 for each as well, but I lowballed them because money is tight.

The other games I cant seem to get rid of, and arent worth a whole lot individually. Just thought I would let you all know, since I certainly wouldnt have got them if I was at a sale.

PS. Both of them sold to international buyers.

I got Indigo Prophecy (XBOX) at a thrift store for 2 bucks. I chuckled at the Gamestop price tag of 39.99 new. They also had a Wild Arms 2 for 4 bucks but it was in a blockbuster case and had the blockbuster security marks. The discs were pretty beat up, so I didn't get it.

Have you guys had much luck at pawn shops? I've never been to one, so I don't know what it's like.

Round 2:

Paid $1 total for the xbox madcatz wheel and BK game.

PS2 fat with power cord and network adapter. Wanted $15, Paid $5

This was by far the dirtiest ps2 i have ever seen. I cleaned it twice before the pic and it is still filthy!

Lego Mags with comics $1 (I know the subs are free but I wanted the comics)

Scooby doo and "The Firm" DVD $1 total
DVD is a good amazon seller!

FREE empty CD cases (25 not pictured) and these gems with instructions and inserts!

My last stop was a garage sale that was in its last few minutes. The girls told me fill a box for $5. This is what I got (that is related to this site)

All 3 pics were included in the $5 total I spent.

I don't have a find of the week, everything is pretty much equal for me this week! You guys can choose. :bouncy:

Nice one on the free cd cases slowdive.

I recently talked to my friend who's in California for college, and he said he went garage sale hunting recently and found all 4 of the .hack GU games for $10 complete.

Feels pretty bad, man. But at least I got him started on the right track for flipping stuff for extra $. He's been in a tight spot for a while.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Nice one on the free cd cases slowdive.

I recently talked to my friend who's in California for college, and he said he went garage sale hunting recently and found all 4 of the .hack GU games for $10 complete.

Feels pretty bad, man. But at least I got him started on the right track for flipping stuff for extra $. He's been in a tight spot for a while.[/QUOTE]

Surprised no one else caught that. Come again?

[quote name='elessar123']Surprised no one else caught that. Come again?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, meant the original 4 - Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine!

Ive never been a big fan of the series and get them mixed up a lot sorry:cold:

[quote name='SaraAB']Ok here are pics of the 50 game haul

[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything really notable in this lot. I hope you didnt pay much to consider this epic.

[quote name='nnthomas']I don't see anything really notable in this lot. I hope you didnt pay much to consider this epic.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SaraAB']I am back from a very epic haul of a total of 51 games for $20.25, which also included 5 brand new video game t-shirts and many promo items. The $20.25 price included everything I bought.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Potatoeman']Sorry, meant the original 4 - Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine!

Ive never been a big fan of the series and get them mixed up a lot sorry:cold:[/QUOTE]

Still a great deal. As a lot, it sells for like $100+ on ebay. Less if you part it out.

[quote name='nnthomas']I don't see anything really notable in this lot. I hope you didnt pay much to consider this epic.[/QUOTE]

I'd consider this to be a great haul . . . I'd be pretty happy to snag all of those carts for $20.

I've managed to buy about 10 SNES games all season.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']BTW, my final tally for my Fisher-Price collection was almost $130.00 with all 3 lots. Considering I paid $14, that's a sizable return on investment.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if they'd have done better closer to X-mas?

After selling a $35 video today, I'm up to $600 in sales from my "epic" video buy (June post #655).

3rd.jpg

[quote name='schultzed']I wonder if they'd have done better closer to X-mas?

After selling a $35 video today, I'm up to $600 in sales from my "epic" video buy (June post #655).

3rd.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Probably - but I'm trying to sell my tiny house and don't really have the space to hold onto it until then . . .

The games were 25 cents each, you don't find games that cheap around here, maybe once every 5 years or so. The $20 included other stuff too. I got 5 video game promo shirts and a lot of promo items like the lost in blue stylus, okami promo, elebits plush, a sonic plush and a few other things. So yes it was a good deal even though there wasn't anything truly notable in it. This stuff isn't pictured because the shirts are being worn by me and the other items are being used.

As for the genesis games there are people that want 8$ per game around here, so I think $5 for a whole bunch is a very good price.

We run into a lot of overpriced sales here, I mean really overpriced, like 13 inch color TV's for $40, usually people want at least $20 for a color TV, hate to break it to you but you would be lucky to give it away at this point in time. We also run into people who think they are running a store out of their garage, these people don't sell anything as they still have a garage full late in the day and it looks like nothing has moved. However to balance out the overpriced sales we do run into people who have low prices.

You can definitely make money off other things at yard sales, the trick is to not pay much for anything, if you can make like $10-15 on a 25 cent item you are doing good.

[quote name='SaraAB']Ok here are pics of the 50 game haul

And the $5 genesis haul from last week
[/QUOTE]
Congrats on that huge bunch you found, and nice Genesis lot.

I think I did pretty good today.

First sale, thought it was one with a bunch of games. Turns out that one was across the street, which I got to later because they weren't set up yet.
4885855806_82a0ee6989_m.jpg

Four Green Day CDs (Dookie, Nimrod, Insomniac, and Bullet in a Bible with the DVD), Fire by Electric Six (CD), and two Beatles two-record sets (1962-1966 and 1967-1970).
Everything was $1 each. I'm really happy about the Beatles albums; I've been looking for some for a while.

Second one, probably the best deals of the day. I saw it online, and got there right after it opened, but someone was there already looking at the games. I heard something about Duck Hunt and he left, but definitely didn't buy much.
4885863986_d8b9dd92a1_m.jpg

Two N64 controllers, an NES controller, a PS2 multitap, and seven N64 games (NFL Blitz, Goldeneye 007, Wave Race 64, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Mario Party, Super Mario 64, and Star Fox 64 [all cartridge only]). I paid $5 for everything, they were labeled for $6.50 total.
There were some other third party controllers, a bunch of sports games, a PlayStation for $20, and a top-loading NES for $20. I almost bit on the NES, but didn't have much cash with me, and wanted to save some for the later sales.

Third one. The guy had a bunch of old comic books at five for $1, some for $1 each, but I know next to nothing about comics. The only games were for PS2. About half were sports games, I got most of the rest.
4885278619_30d7b0354b_m.jpg

Shadow the Hedgehog, Jak II, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Sly Cooper, Sly 3, 007: Nightfire, and Guitar Hero. Jak II, Sly 3, and 007: Nightfire don't have manuals. They were marked for $2 each, I offered $10 and he took it.

Last sale, which would have been the first one (I found it online) but I didn't see it. She advertised a bunch of games and consoles, plus a Genesis, so I had high hopes. Turns out she ran an online game store, but she stopped recently. She sold the Genesis right away, but most of the other consoles were still there. The prices weren't bad, but not crazy low either. I only had about $15 left, so bought one game.
4885282125_1262f64581_m.jpg

Work Time Fun, $5.

I went to about ten or fifteen total, but only found stuff at those four. Two were advertised online, two weren't.
$27 for everything. I'm pretty happy.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']That old-school Risk is awesome![/QUOTE]

Thanks! The pieces are made of wood, so that is pretty cool.

Schultzed, what video did you sell for $35?

I'll say it again...Nice finds Sara!

[quote name='slowdive21']
Schultzed, what video did you sell for $35?
[/QUOTE]

I have 2 recent sales (from that group) for $35 . . .

this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6304525168
and:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6302241243

Looking at the prices right now, on Mask I did well but Yankee should have been listed higher . . . but given that I listed it in June . . . prices have likely shifted--you can never tell for certain where they are headed with videotapes.

Of that group, I have sold 28 pieces ($50 the highest and $8.50 the lowest). Predictably, the DVDs went first . . . I think there are about 15-20 vids left. Will be interesting to see where the total is after the holidays.

The $50 was for:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020X87A

A week after it sold, I found another copy at a thrift (for less than $10) and sold it for $60 . . . it seems to be sloping upward . . . but I'm happy with my take.

I looked in the paper and headed out to a "block sale" this morning (Thur.). It was a bust with only 4 sales. I did find this pair at one:

IAP was $5 but she took $4.

Thursdays are not big in my area . . . and I spend enough time on Friday and Saturday.

But on my way back, I spotted this nice sale with a ton of media. I bought a few videos at .25 each, some sealed box set DVDs at $2 each and these games:

These were $1 each. (Bugs and Scrabble are sealed).

This sys was marked $3 but I got her to take $2 because the TV hookup is missing:

Oddly, she changed the price right on it.

I was paying and saw this:

I tried to negotiate but the owner was absent, so I paid $2 for it.

Responded to this ad: http://tucson.craigslist.org/vgm/1895190358.html

Paid $50, this is what he had:

f3x1qv.jpg

Toploader w/ 4 controllers, satellite, 3 zappers and various cords

6e3hfn.jpg

Commando
Football
Bionic Commando
SMB/DH
Gyromite
Excitebike
Snake Rattle N Roll
T&C Surf Designs
Low G Man
RBI Baseball
Operation Wolf
Track & Field II
Paperboy

11bnhwh.jpg

MLB
Solstice
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
SMB/DH
The Chessmaster
Bart Vs The Space Mutants
Top Gun
Kung Fu
Gold Medal Challenge 92
Super Mario Bros 2
Friday The 13th
Dragon Warrior
NARC
Pinball
Jeopardy

30ji5xe.jpg

Monopoly
SMB/DH
Jeopardy
Donkey Kong JR
Othello
Immortal
Operation Wolf
Anticipation
Rad Racer
SMB/DH/WCTM
Super Mario Bros 3
Mega Man 3
Black Bass
Mega Man 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Contra
Rolling Thunder
Fighting Golf
Pac Man

I went back to the sale with the NES today.
4888212673_f336498c90_m.jpg

gen.JPG

NES Toploader with the RF converter and power cable, plus two controllers (the wires are kind of frayed), plus a Game Gear with twelve games, power cable, and Power Back (plus a car charger). Wanted $35, paid $30. I had no idea what a Game Gear was worth, but I think I did okay.

This is why you need to scrutinize every box that is put out. I found this beauty in a box of paperback books. Walked away with it for $1.

Zelda II CIB

Today was disgusting; it was like a saga of original xbox games plus people who live without televisions.

Got a TG-16 w/ some games
and a sega master w/ games

I think I overpaid the titles look shitty and seller was an ebay hound. So she most likely knew what she had. Paid $70. Bought it because I've never had a TG.

Black Nintendo 64 system
Power/AV cables
Jumper pak
Expansion Pak
2 controllers (one black, one purple)
3rd party memory card
(all these games are cart only, some have manuals)
Super Mario 64 (with manual)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Banjo-Tooie (with manual)
Starfox 64
Spiderman (with manual)
WCW Mayhem
Wayne Gretzky's 3d Hockey '98 (with manual)
Zelda Ocarina of Time (gold cart)
Space Invaders
Super Smash Bros
Ms Pac-man Maze Madness
Rampage World Tour
Mario Kart 64
Rugrats in Paris
Gauntlet Legends
Pokemon Snap
Gamecube instruction booklet
$15 total
The seller wanted $25, but I offered $15. The system doesn't work though (but it could need persistence, my other N64s take some resetting to work). There was also a PS2 with 25 decent (nothing rare, but they're good) games... for $180.

Time Crisis 2 PS2 (complete, no guncon)
PK Out of the Shadows PS2 (complete)
Tenchu Wrath of Heaven PS2 (complete)
$1 total
Marked $1 each, I offered $1 for all 3.

bread's done
Back