Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']Pierre Garcon is signing with the Redskins, so there's at least one target for RGIII.[/QUOTE]

Also about to sign Josh Morgan. Sucks.

[quote name='Donut2922']Ugh i cant see him getting a ton of money. fucking cheap ass Niners.[/QUOTE]

He's from the Washington area, I think it's more about that. Harbaugh clearly wants him back.

I now read SF after CB Eric Wright. With that and the Cox signing, seems clear to me they are ready to move on from Carlos Rogers.

[quote name='bvharris']You mean the draft isn't tomorrow? :whistle2:s

Obviously they had to get those third rounders STAT, why let the QB situation sort itself out first. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Pretty much how I look at it. Unless Manning told the Dolphins specifically "I will sign with you guaranteed if you trade Marshall", there was absolutely no reason to make that move just yet.

Hours later and I'm still shaking my head.

I don't get the hate about Garcon to be honest. He was a solid target for Manning in Indy while he was playing.

Also, Morgan was apparently the Niners most consistent WR last season. Oh, and the Skins are apparently going to cut Moss and Gaffney.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't get the hate about Garcon to be honest. He was a solid target for Manning in Indy while he was playing.

Also, Morgan was apparently the Niners most consistent WR last season. Oh, and the Skins are apparently going to cut Moss and Gaffney.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's really Garcon hate, but moreso hate towards the Skins. Reason being is they're doing the same thing that didn't work last time around, trying to load up on #2 receivers while giving them a shit ton of money.

Didn't think they were going to resign him after they didn't get a deal done before free agency. And there's money for Alex, three year deal money.

So, the 49ers sign Randy Moss and are bringing Brandon Lloyd in for a workout, but still plan on weak-armed Alex Smith at QB? Something doesn't seem right...

[quote name='Javery']Proof that money is all that truly matters.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that cliche typically reserved for when a guy leaves the team he's played for his entire career?

[quote name='bvharris']Isn't that cliche typically reserved for when a guy leaves the team he's played for his entire career?[/QUOTE]

I was going to say, I think he could make more on the open market then he could staying in Indy.

And Cleveland lets Peyton Hillis walk off to Kansas City, so the running game will definitely be worse next season. The lack of news about WR interest tells me that Justin Blackmon will be their first pick.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']And Cleveland lets Peyton Hillis walk off to Kansas City, so the running game will definitely be worse next season. The lack of news about WR interest tells me that Justin Blackmon will be their first pick.[/QUOTE]

I was surprised KC signed Hillis. I guess they are looking for someone to share the load and keep Charles healthy.

Blackmon should be solid if he is indeed the pick. After watching a bunch of Big 12 football last year I would say the only concern is he gets careless with the ball from time to time and will put it on the turf.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ontract-with-lions?module=HP11_headline_stack

Detroit signs Calvin Johnson to an eight year, $130 million deal, which surpasses Larry Fitzgerald's record deal from last season.

Dallas has supposedly signed Kyle Orton. I hope isn't to just sit him on the bench.[/QUOTE]

Orton will be sitting on the bench unless Romo gets hurt. Romo isn't the problem in Dallas.

Good pick up for a backup QB though.

[quote name='Chitown021']I was surprised KC signed Hillis. I guess they are looking for someone to share the load and keep Charles healthy.[/QUOTE]

hope they both stay healthy. Could be one hell of a backfield with those two in it, and would only get better if they worked on their line a bit.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...egedly-hit-woman-club-fight-sunday-police-say

There's more to the fight involving Brandon Marshall since the original story was just the woman's side:
A woman has accused new Bears receiver Brandon Marshall of punching her in the face at a nightclub, New York City police said.

The woman alleged the incident occurred at 3:50 a.m. ET Sunday outside the Marquee, a nightclub in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, police said. Police are investigating a complaint the woman filed Monday evening. Marshall has not been charged.

Marshall's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, said in a statement early Wednesday morning that Marshall and his friends were not involved in the melee.

"Brandon Marshall was the keynote speaker at a charitable event in New York. After the event was over he, his wife and close friends attended a function at a local club," the statement said. "While at the function a fight broke out NOT involving Mr. Marshall or his friends."

Marshall allegedly got into an argument with a group of friends celebrating a birthday at the club, the New York Post reported. According to the Post, Christin Myles, the woman celebrating a birthday, briefly left an upper floor of the club. Upon returning, the paper reported, Myles was told to wait because Marshall allegedly was involved in a fight with an unnamed football player and both players were being removed from the club.

Myles eventually met with her friends outside, the Post said, and found the 6-foot-4 Marshall and the unnamed player arguing with her group. Marshall then allegedly punched Myles in the left eye, leaving her with a black eye, according to the Post. It wasn't clear if Marshall intentionally struck Myles or if he meant to hit one of her friends, according to the report.

Steinberg said that while Marshall and his wife were attempting to leave the club, Marshall's wife was hit in the face with a bottle and suffered "serious" injuries that required hospitalization.
Jay Cutler's quoted later on saying that he doesn't really care and is happy to have him on the team.

Trouble seems to find Marshall whether its his fault or otherwise. I would give him the same advice Bill Cosby told OJ....$$$$a sit your ass down somewhere.

Trouble doesn't just find Marshall, but remember his wife knifed him or some crazy shit?

Talented as all hell, and I would take him on my team, but it's a lot to deal with. There's always something crazy every year or so going down with him.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']And Cleveland lets Peyton Hillis walk off to Kansas City, so the running game will definitely be worse next season. The lack of news about WR interest tells me that Justin Blackmon will be their first pick.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Blackmon have character issues? If so I think this move means Trent Richardson is the pick. I think they'll use the 22nd pick for defense or the receiver. Which would be fine with me, I've always been high on getting Richardson with the 4 pick. It makes even more sense now with the QBs they'd likely want not available.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Doesn't Blackmon have character issues? If so I think this move means Trent Richardson is the pick. I think they'll use the 22nd pick for defense or the receiver. Which would be fine with me, I've always been high on getting Richardson with the 4 pick. It makes even more sense now with the QBs they'd likely want not available.[/QUOTE]
I haven't heard anything about that, but you can get a running back at any point. A #1 receiver is something you have to grab when it falls into your lap and they can't pass on another one for the second year in a row.

Maybe it wasn't Blackmon then, but one of the other WRs. Either way though I think receivers are a risk that early, yes there are exceptions, but then then are players like Braylon Edwards. I think that experience alone may make the Browns weary. I'm not sure if I'd classify Richardson as your average back that you can find elsewhere in the draft though.

Regarding Julio Jones, he was a good pickup for Atlanta, but they've won just as many playoff games as the Browns at this point, zero. With all the holes that the Browns have I think they really have to take who will help them the most with this pick. Richardson, Blackmon, or whoever. I'm not sure though if it'll make much difference who it is unfortunately.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Super Mario signs with the bills. Ugh. Good for them but way to take the money...the bills are horrid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is the ultimate money deal. Texans on the edge of a title run and he decides not to play in the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Maybe it wasn't Blackmon then, but one of the other WRs. Either way though I think receivers are a risk that early, yes there are exceptions, but then then are players like Braylon Edwards. I think that experience alone may make the Browns weary. I'm not sure if I'd classify Richardson as your average back that you can find elsewhere in the draft though.

Regarding Julio Jones, he was a good pickup for Atlanta, but they've won just as many playoff games as the Browns at this point, zero. With all the holes that the Browns have I think they really have to take who will help them the most with this pick. Richardson, Blackmon, or whoever. I'm not sure though if it'll make much difference who it is unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
It's been proven over and over again that you can get a great running back from anywhere in the draft. He could be the next Adrian Peterson or the next William Green, but they can be a lot more flexible with that position than WR to get a playmaker.

That's a lame qualifier to make about any rookie since it's not his fault that they sold out their 2011 and 2012 draft for him and they got stuffed by the Giants defense. The Browns don't have that issue since they were the benefactors of that deal and have a bunch of picks to fill in needs.

Yeah, this is the ultimate money deal. Texans on the edge of a title run and he decides not to play in the playoffs for the foreseeable future.
Why wouldn't he take the money? Get paid now when you command top dollar, and not have to worry about anything for the rest of his life.

Although that is true....he would have ultimate received the same about of dollars no matter where he went. Whether it sign with us you might have less on the contract but we will set you up with more endorsements or less on paper more on backdoor drop offs.

At a certain point it just becomes how greedy you are....would making 90 mill and playing for a contender be that much worse than making 100 for a crap team? Even with the fact that winning a superbowl pays you like a 100k upfront and then almost endless amounts in jerseys, hats, signage etc.

But its his life he can do what he wants......if money is that important to him then go for the gusto.

Man, its 50 million GUARANTEED. Thats more than the Texans would have gave him. I mean honestly I'd like to think that players cared more about winning than money but most of the time I don't think that is the case.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Why wouldn't he take the money? Get paid now when you command top dollar, and not have to worry about anything for the rest of his life.[/QUOTE]

Suddenly your posts in the VS. forum make that much more sense. Money isn't everything, some people value other things.

Yup, some people do value other things but for someone with a history including a season ending hernia, and a season ending torn pectorial muscle, the smart thing to do was go after that guaranteed money. Sometimes you need to think about why someone made a move that they did.

Well, at any rate, he's thrown away any chance at even a Championship title, let alone a Super Bowl for $50 million guaranteed. Should he? Maybe, maybe not but personally what's the difference between $50 million and $20 million anyway? A couple extra houses or Bentleys? Too bad...

It hurts the Texans definitely but look at it this way, they made a hell of a run without him last season so they probably figure they can make it all the way with more reasonably priced players they already have.

As for my other team, the Vikings, apparently they see fit to just cut a bunch of veterans and pick up absolutely fucking nothing on free agency. This team has pretty much rolled over at this point and its too bad they're on the cusp of being awarded with a brand new stadium.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well, at any rate, he's thrown away any chance at even a Championship title, let alone a Super Bowl for $50 million guaranteed. Should he? Maybe, maybe not but personally what's the difference between $50 million and $20 million anyway? A couple extra houses or Bentleys? Too bad...
[/QUOTE]

Your kids being set for life vs. their kids being set for life as well?

An NFL career isn't an especially long one, even for star players, I don't begrudge anybody trying to make the most money they can during that time period.

I'll bet if there was a contending team willing to give him that much money, he wouldn't have signed in Buffalo so quickly.

ya, as the rest of the NFC north continues to improve their teams the vikings have done absolutely nothing, which has surprised me. It is definitely one of the toughest divisions in football, and as of right now the vikings have a very high chance of going 0-6 in the division this year.

Cleveland lets safety Mike Adams walk to Denver, which is disappointing because he was a big contributor as a veteran presence in the secondary. No contract offered like the Peyton situation. Good pickup for Denver.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']

As for my other team, the Vikings, apparently they see fit to just cut a bunch of veterans and pick up absolutely fucking nothing on free agency. This team has pretty much rolled over at this point and its too bad they're on the cusp of being awarded with a brand new stadium.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think they're content to go into a multi-year rebuilding mode and gathering cheap talent through the draft. It wouldn't make sense though for them to pay out the ass for someone like Vincent Jackson when it's clear that the only thing they're on the cusp of is the basement in the NFC North either way.

I feel bad for AP, as by the time this team is relevant again, he'll be past his prime.

[quote name='Dendaman']Yeah I think they're content to go into a multi-year rebuilding mode and gathering cheap talent through the draft. It wouldn't make sense though for them to pay out the ass for someone like Vincent Jackson when it's clear that the only thing they're on the cusp of is the basement in the NFC North either way.

I feel bad for AP, as by the time this team is relevant again, he'll be past his prime.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he'll pull a "Barry Sanders" and go home.

[quote name='bvharris']Your kids being set for life vs. their kids being set for life as well?

An NFL career isn't an especially long one, even for star players, I don't begrudge anybody trying to make the most money they can during that time period.

I'll bet if there was a contending team willing to give him that much money, he wouldn't have signed in Buffalo so quickly.[/QUOTE]
Haha, right. I bet he's setting up a trust for his grandkids as we speak...

I really hope Matt Flynns visit to Miami coming up goes well. I don't think Manning is going to pan out for us (kind of happy actually as I'd rather have a QB for the future over someone who can help, but only for the short-term). If they do get him though, I hope Flynn doesn't wind up being the next Matt Cassel, which could definitely happen as unlike Cassel who at least had a full season of exposure/success, Flynn has only had two games.

Regardless, I'm not very confident in the team next year. They shipped off the best receiver on the team and our best QB option is someone who's really not proven a whole lot. Add in Reggie Bush being a total flake and I'm not very confident. Heres hoping they grab Flynn and make a play for Blackmon in the draft.

ESPN sources are saying The Miami Dolphins have been told Manning is not going there.

There are also reports that Manning is working out for the Broncos today in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back