Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still so heartbroken about the Niners losing to the Giants. Great season only to literally fumble away your championship and give it to the opponent.

[quote name='Donut2922']I am still so heartbroken about the Niners losing to the Giants. Great season only to literally fumble away your championship and give it to the opponent.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I also feel they would have beat the Patriots. I'm gonna just get hammered Sunday early to try to forget about it.

^eh... that's just hanging onto the past. The future is bright though, and it was a great and unexpected season. The way it ended though, it's definitely sour.

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm with you. I also feel they would have beat the Patriots. I'm gonna just get hammered Sunday early to try to forget about it.[/QUOTE]

I know its gonna rub off Giants fans the wrong way but fanboy perspective aside. The Niners lost that game more than the Giants won it. Plenty of mistakes and the Niners failed to capitalize on and the dream season comes to a complete and utter halt. Williams gets most of the blame but Smith left some open players out there. Vernon Davis should have had 3 TDs not 2.

[quote name='Donut2922']I know its gonna rub off Giants fans the wrong way but fanboy perspective aside. The Niners lost that game more than the Giants won it. Plenty of mistakes and the Niners failed to capitalize on and the dream season comes to a complete and utter halt. Williams gets most of the blame but Smith left some open players out there. Vernon Davis should have had 3 TDs not 2.[/QUOTE]

You could just as easily say that Vernon Davis should have had 0 TDs because both times there was a miscommunication in the secondary. I mean, he was the ONLY player the Giants had to worry about and he still got lost twice which shouldn't have happened. He was wide open on both plays.

Other than those 2 plays the 49ers did NOTHING on offense. Nothing. They were 1 for 13 on third down and the last 5(!) possessions were 3 and out. The Giants played great in tough conditions, IMO.

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm with you. I also feel they would have beat the Patriots. I'm gonna just get hammered Sunday early to try to forget about it.[/QUOTE]

They may well have, but I can tell you from a Patriots' fan perspective that I would have rather faced the Niners than the Giants by a healthy margin.

[quote name='bvharris']They may well have, but I can tell you from a Patriots' fan perspective that I would have rather faced the Niners than the Giants by a healthy margin.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. If you look at it as a matchup scenario. Otherwise, they were basically a total even match in their game, Patriots were going to get a tough opponent either way.

As far as the Niners "losing the game more than the Giants winning it". That's not totally fair to say, but if Williams doesn't muff that punt, there's no way the Giants score again, nor do the 49ers in my opinion. The defenses had totally taken over.

[quote name='Javery']You have won 5 Super Bowls you know (and never lost one) so um... there's that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah its something to be proud of but at my particular age (29), I am much more into football than when we won when I was 10 though. The last 10 years was a lot of bad football so this year was great to bring out all of that pent up energy that was building over the years.

If Giants win then Ill feel worse in that I would argue the Niners could have won the Superbowl. If Pats win, Brady is in the debate for greatest ever vs. Montana. I lose either way so Im sad either way. Hearing Superbowl coverage on sports radio all week long isnt helping on top of my daily ESPN fix. Someone shoot me now.

[quote name='bvharris']They may well have, but I can tell you from a Patriots' fan perspective that I would have rather faced the Niners than the Giants by a healthy margin.[/QUOTE]

The Niners strength (defense) vs. the Pats strength (offense) would have been a great matchup to see. But the Niners defense was arguably the best defense of the final 4.

Its hypotheticals we're talking here but I would have liked our chances too.

[quote name='DestroVega']Maybe. If you look at it as a matchup scenario. Otherwise, they were basically a total even match in their game, Patriots were going to get a tough opponent either way.
[/QUOTE]

For sure. The matchup is how I look at it though. I definitely believe the Niners have the D to keep the Patriots' offense in check, but I also don't think they have the offense themselves to exploit the Patriots defensive deficiencies.

I'll put it this way: I would have bet my house on there being no way the Niners would win that game in a rout. While I don't think it'll happen, I definitely see that as a more likely outcome against the Giants based on how their strengths match up against the Patriots.

I could see anything from a blowout by either side in this game, truthfully I really don't know what to expect. So for the sake of my blood pressure, I definitely would have preferred the matchup which would have a more predictable outcome (close game throughout). That's not how it played out though, so we'll see.

[quote name='Javery']You could just as easily say that Vernon Davis should have had 0 TDs because both times there was a miscommunication in the secondary. I mean, he was the ONLY player the Giants had to worry about and he still got lost twice which shouldn't have happened. He was wide open on both plays.

Other than those 2 plays the 49ers did NOTHING on offense. Nothing. They were 1 for 13 on third down and the last 5(!) possessions were 3 and out. The Giants played great in tough conditions, IMO.[/QUOTE]

The TDs were earned rightfully so and nobody would argue the playcalling at those times were spot on by the Niners O. The fumbles and the lack of execution of Smith to hit open guys was our fault moreso than the Giants. Smith locked onto some options too early. Hence my disappointment hurts more that we choked the game away.

[quote name='Donut2922']I am still so heartbroken about the Niners losing to the Giants. Great season only to literally fumble away your championship and give it to the opponent.[/QUOTE]

It was still a great season.

I didn't have a horse in the race for the playoffs but a childhood of Sega Genesis did make me want to Niners to win the Super Bowl again.

My prediction is that this will be the highest scoring Super Bowl ever.
Also, question. Do you guys think the Giants are the best 9-7 team ever?

Super Bowl Fun Fact: If the Giants win, they will become the first team to win a Super Bowl on each of the 4 networks. Pittsburgh had the opportunity last year, but they blew it.

[quote name='Blabadon']
Also, question. Do you guys think the Giants are the best 9-7 team ever?[/QUOTE]

No. They were outscored in the regular season, and generally were a pretty inconsistent team until the last month and a half.

If they win the Super Bowl they'll certainly be the most successful 9-7 team ever, since I don't think one has ever won the big game.

[quote name='Donut2922']Yeah its something to be proud of but at my particular age (29), I am much more into football than when we won when I was 10 though. The last 10 years was a lot of bad football so this year was great to bring out all of that pent up energy that was building over the years.

[/QUOTE]

Oh God, I don't know if I could take anymore ego stroking by Brady. He's a good player, but out of all NFL players I hate his cocky attitude the most. Being confident is one thing, being a dick is something else entirely.

[quote name='Reo 15x']Oh God, I don't know if I could take anymore ego stroking by Brady. He's a good player, but out of all NFL players I hate his cocky attitude the most. Being confident is one thing, being a dick is something else entirely.[/QUOTE]

You don't really know the first thing about Tom Brady, do you?

I know as a Patriots fan it's obvious I'm going to defend the QB of my team, but I've honestly never understood all the hate Brady gets. I'd say 95% of it at least can be strictly chalked up to jealousy.

I know it's a cliche at this point, but the dude was the 199th pick in the draft. Nobody handed him anything in this league, he's busted his ass to improve his game and get where he is. He's also an incredibly humble, friendly guy, and yet people always grasp on to the 3 or 4 statements he's made across a dozen year NFL career which could be construed as arrogant and try to paint an entire portrait of him as a person.

I've never understood the fixation by sports fans in this country on always needing to be tearing somebody down. It just comes across as desperate and pathetic.

[quote name='Reo 15x']Oh God, I don't know if I could take anymore ego stroking by Brady. He's a good player, but out of all NFL players I hate his cocky attitude the most. Being confident is one thing, being a dick is something else entirely.[/QUOTE]

Waaaaa? This is most likely the dumbest thing said in this thread. Make sure you stretch to warm up before reaching that hard to hate someone.

You can dislike Brady for being so perfect that he almost seems robotic in the way he gushing out "the right thing to say," all the time. Jesus more and more I am finding out how envious people are of others.

$$$$as just make up reasons to hate strangers.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Waaaaa? This is most likely the dumbest thing said in this thread. Make sure you stretch to warm up before reaching that hard to hate someone.

You can dislike Brady for being so perfect that he almost seems robotic in the way he gushing out "the right thing to say," all the time. Jesus more and more I am finding out how envious people are of others.

$$$$as just make up reasons to hate strangers.[/QUOTE]

Wow thanks buddy for being a complete douche to me, talking about being unkind to strangers, you openly just insult me on the forum. Disagree with me all you want, saying I said the stupidest thing is another.

Look I have been interested in the NFL for awhile and I know how Tom brady has brought his team back a lot. I'm not envious, he's a great Quarterback, one of the best out there. He's just so arrogant though and has such a silver spoon shoved up his ass. Heck in Super bowl 42 he rejected Eli's handshake, just looking at him threateningly. I mean really, it's called respect and he doesn't even have that. I respect him as a player but not at all as a person.

[quote name='Reo 15x']Heck in Super bowl 42 he rejected Eli's handshake, just looking at him threateningly. I mean really, it's called respect and he doesn't even have that. I respect him as a player but not at all as a person.[/QUOTE]

Holy smokes, there are people who still believe that's true?? It's like seeing the last dinosaur!

I assume you're talking about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Otpt3QZlq8

Which is one of the most ridiculous attempt to make something out of nothing I've ever seen. If you're taking cues on your opinions from the Fox NFL Studio crew, it's time to reevaluate.

Honestly, if you don't want to be called out for saying something stupid, maybe you should try to exercise some independent and critical thought rather than regurgitating opinions you read on the internet. I don't mean that to come off as an attack against you, but the attitude you clearly have is what's wrong with sports fans in America today.

Tossing around the word "respect" when you're making assumptions about the character of a public figure based on pretty much nothing is the height of irony my friend.

[quote name='bvharris']Holy smokes, there are people who still believe that's true?? It's like seeing the last dinosaur!

I assume you're talking about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Otpt3QZlq8

Which is one of the most ridiculous attempt to make something out of nothing I've ever seen. If you're taking cues on your opinions from the Fox NFL Studio crew, it's time to reevaluate.

Honestly, if you don't want to be called out for saying something stupid, maybe you should try to exercise some independent and critical thought rather than regurgitating opinions you read on the internet. I don't mean that to come off as an attack against you, but the attitude you clearly have is what's wrong with sports fans in America today.

Tossing around the word "respect" when you're making assumptions about the character of a public figure based on pretty much nothing is the height of irony my friend.[/QUOTE]

What and you've met the guy? You've sat down with him and had some tea and know that he's the next coming of christ? I just dont' like the guy, I watched a lot of interviews with the guy and he comes off as an arrogant prick. Of course I assume he's a prick, I don't know him personally, but you assume he's a great guy even though you haven't met him either.

That video is just a quick example that I used off the top of my head, I didn't want to use a wall of text of why didn't like the guy. Look at the assumptions you're making about me. You assume I get all my opinions from sports talkshows, you assume that I don't have any critical thought, and you make large assumptions of my character from a couple of paragraphs on a gaming forum.

You're saying he's an arrogant prick, I'm telling you that you're wrong. What you choose to do with that information is up to you (I'm sure the answer will be nothing). I've followed his career since he came into the league, and what you're saying is just ridiculous. And it's not about being a New England sports homer, there have been stars in Boston whose attitudes I don't care for (Jonathan Papelbon and Kevin Garnett just to name a couple) who carry themselves like entitled jerks and generally are.

Anyone who follows the Patriots at all will tell you that Tom Brady is a nice, genuine and humble guy who has worked hard to get where he is and comes across as extremely appreciative of the opportunities he's had.. Is he a fiery competitor on the field? Yes. But I don't think that's a vice. Whether I can convince you of that is really immaterial to me.

I think Brady is great but he did mock Plaxico when Plax predicted a 20-17 Super Bowl win... "Ha, they're gonna hold US to 17 points?"

Brady was right though, they didn't. Haha.

[quote name='Reo 15x']What and you've met the guy? You've sat down with him and had some tea and know that he's the next coming of christ? I just dont' like the guy, I watched a lot of interviews with the guy and he comes off as an arrogant prick. Of course I assume he's a prick, I don't know him personally, but you assume he's a great guy even though you haven't met him either.

That video is just a quick example that I used off the top of my head, I didn't want to use a wall of text of why didn't like the guy. Look at the assumptions you're making about me. You assume I get all my opinions from sports talkshows, you assume that I don't have any critical thought, and you make large assumptions of my character from a couple of paragraphs on a gaming forum.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

This is going to blow your mind and ruin your rant...but since it seems you dont know what I do for a living.....I have met him..several times along with a ton of other celbs and sports figures and he is indeed a pretty cool guy. Perk of working in TV/Film and Broadcast Production.

Like most sports fan you go off hand fed articles that people are trying to sell to get advertisers. You make judgements on strangers although you have never seen or talked to him based on what a editor wants you see when they cut up the footage. Most of these guys and gals are regular people doing regular things.

Why dont you save your hate for the ones that rape/murder/punch their girlfriends down a flight of stairs.

One final note, please find an interview where he comes off like a dick. Because my main dislike of Brady is that he comes across too perfect. He is such a good guy that he almost seems fake, like he is a robot built to please the media.

[quote name='Soodmeg']:lol:

This is going to blow your mind and ruin your rant...but since it seems you dont know what I do for a living.....I have met him..several times along with a ton of other celbs and sports figures and he is indeed a pretty cool guy. Perk of working in TV/Film and Broadcast Production.

Like most sports fan you go off hand fed articles that people are trying to sell to get advertisers. You make judgements on strangers although you have never seen or talked to him based on what a editor wants you see when they cut up the footage. Most of these guys and gals are regular people doing regular things.

Why dont you save your hate for the ones that rape/murder/punch their girlfriends down a flight of stairs.

One final note, please find an interview where he comes off like a dick. Because my main dislike of Brady is that he comes across too perfect. He is such a good guy that he almost seems fake, like he is a robot built to please the media.[/QUOTE]

Nice gig, Seriously that's a pretty sweet job. Okay so maybe my use of the word 'hate' was a little too powerful. Okay it was too powerful, I just dislike the guy would be a better way of putting it. I don't have a picture of his face on a punching bag, and I'm not setting up death threats for him. Interestingly enough I grew to like him a little this season when he was fetching me plenty of fantasy points for my win at the end of my season. Where I started to dislike him was the Brady 6 documentary I watched. He just seemed snobbish and it rubbed me the wrong way.

Adrian Peterson apparently wanted to change his number to 23 until he found out that it would cost him $1 million to buy out the stock of his jerseys just to make the change, so he'll still be 28 for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Adrian Peterson apparently wanted to change his number to 23 until he found out that it would cost him $1 million to buy out the stock of his jerseys just to make the change, so he'll still be 28 for the foreseeable future.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when Kobe changed his he waited a year so they would sell the remaining jerseys.

Yah, I saw that and I just dont get it. How much money do you think AP actually makes from his jersey sales? 1 percent? 10 percent at the max? Why should he have to pay anything to change this jersey? Like the fucking NFL is hurting for money.

I wonder if there is standard rule in place or did they just make this up. If its a rule...then I dont have a problem.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yah, I saw that and I just dont get it. How much money do you think AP actually makes from his jersey sales? 1 percent? 10 percent at the max? Why should he have to pay anything to change this jersey? Like the fucking NFL is hurting for money.

I wonder if there is standard rule in place or did they just make this up. If its a rule...then I dont have a problem.[/QUOTE]

It's a rule. When chad Johnson wanted to change to Ocho, he waited a year also.

Basically AP can say, stop making #28 jerseys, I'm 23 when they are gone.

It makes sense - there are thousands of licensed AP jerseys out there that would become hard to sell.

2 more days to the Super Bowl. LET'S DO THIS.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yah, I saw that and I just dont get it. How much money do you think AP actually makes from his jersey sales? 1 percent? 10 percent at the max? Why should he have to pay anything to change this jersey? Like the fucking NFL is hurting for money.

I wonder if there is standard rule in place or did they just make this up. If its a rule...then I dont have a problem.[/QUOTE]

On Around the Horn yesterday they said that AP has made around $50k on jersey sales (somewhere around there). Considering jerseys cost anywhere from $75-$300 and he's probably sold several million, players get a fraction of a percent on jersey sales.

edit: Actually, they were referring to one of AP's tweet, he said, "Ok so I see maybe ten thousand dollars of my total jersey sales! That's it!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
picks.png

what is with these Pats fans (not here) who are acting like they are some sort of huge underdog is the dumbest thing I've seen this year. Yeah, lotta people pick the Giants but that doesn't mean people think the Pats are bad.

as for Brady getting hate... It's a pretty recent thing.. Espn / Sportwriters are still slurping all over him and as Soodmeg shows, so is the rest of the media.

Don't know how I feel about that. Love football but I hate it when my team plays on a short week.

All that talk about going more international is straight garbage. Hopefully that Rams playing in London 3 straight times experiment fails and the league finally stops with its shitty global plan. Or at least stop with the regular season games being in another country.

The NFL just doesnt want to accept that American Football is a gimmick to everyone else but Americans. The world just doesnt care about the sport...there is nothing they can probably do about it.

Its within their right to try (although they are fucking us while doing it) but its never going to work.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The NFL just doesnt want to accept that American Football is a gimmick to everyone else but Americans. The world just doesnt care about the sport...there is nothing they can probably do about it.

Its within their right to try (although they are fucking us while doing it) but its never going to work.[/QUOTE]
Cry about it.

[quote name='dafoomie']
picks.png
[/QUOTE]

That's nuts. I might prefer that the Giants win but to pick against Darth Belichick and Tom Brady is just madness.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...355437.html;_ylt=AvR_ny2nj1ARMa74lmlE.M5DubYF

The Hall of Fame selections for 2012 are Jack Butler, Dermontti Dawson, Chris Doleman, Cortez Kennedy, Curtis Martin and Willie Roaf. No Cris Carter, Jerome Bettis, Andre Reed, or Bill Parcells.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-apdefensiverookie
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-apcomebackplayer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-apcoachofyear
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-apoffensiverookie

I see that Jim Harbaugh won AP Coach of the Year, Von Miller won Defensive Rookie of the Year, Cam Newton won Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Matt Stafford won Comeback Player of the Year. I'm shocked that Matt Stafford won over D'Qwell Jackson, though he only won by five votes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-daboll

Kansas City is building a staff of failed Browns coaches since they're considering hiring Brian Daboll as OC under Romeo Crennel.

Fact of the matter is there's tons of stuff like shirts and hats that's already been made that says either team won, so this is not a surprise.

Despite my deep hatred for New England, I think they're gonna take it tomorrow. And even though I'd like to see a great game, I think the Patriots will be the Giants fairly easily.

34-17.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Despite my deep hatred for New England, I think they're gonna take it tomorrow. And even though I'd like to see a great game, I think the Patriots will be the Giants fairly easily.

34-17.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same. Hope, I am wrong. Boston sucks.

Dude, the superbowl has been way over covered....90% of these stories are rehashed fluff bullshit. Christ ESPN you dont have to make up stories to run....there is still enough sports going on that you dont have to make every other topic about the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back