Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Cleveland be interested in Tebow?

From what I'm reading, it's the result of a Mel Kiper ESPN Insider article where he suggests that any team without a QB should be mentioned as a candidate until they come out and say that they're not interested. That's a ridiculous rumor to start.

Sean Payton has been suspended for the entire 2012 season. Saints are also docked two draft picks, $500K, and lose their GM for 8 games as well.

Also, Timmy Tebow is now a New York Jet.

[quote name='JJSP']Sean Payton has been suspended for the entire 2012 season. Saints are also docked two draft picks, $500K, and lose their GM for 8 games as well.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's even steeper than I expected. Guess it's pretty clear the NFL found this much worse than Spygate, the punishment for which now seems like a slap on the wrist.

[quote name='JJSP']
Also, Timmy Tebow is now a New York Jet.[/QUOTE]

As a Patriots fan, this news absolutely elates me.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Does Gregg Williams get off without a penalty or are they still deciding his fate? It seems odd that they'd only announce some of the penalties.[/QUOTE]

"Suspended indefinitely". He'll never work in the NFL again.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm a little surprised there were no player suspensions to go along with this, maybe they're still in the works.[/QUOTE]

From what has been said in the past, players will be suspended too. I think they wanted to get the biggest suspensions out of the way first.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Does Gregg Williams get off without a penalty or are they still deciding his fate? It seems odd that they'd only announce some of the penalties.[/QUOTE]

It could be anywhere from 1 year to a lifetime ban. I read somewhere that the NFL head brass was considering a very lengthy ban or lifetime ban for Williams.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

The full suite of penalties:
• The New Orleans Saints are fined $500,000. In addition, because the violation involves a competitive rule, the Saints will forfeit their selections in the second round of the 2012 and 2013 NFL drafts.

• Saints coach Sean Payton is suspended without pay for the 2012 NFL season, effective April 1.

• Saints general manager Mickey Loomis is suspended without pay for the first eight regular-season games of the 2012 season.

• Former Saints (and current St. Louis Rams) defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely from the NFL, effective immediately. Commissioner Goodell will review Coach Williams' status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether to reinstate him, and, if so, on what terms. Commissioner Goodell said he will give close attention to the extent to which Coach Williams cooperates with the NFL in any further proceedings.

• Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt is suspended without pay for the first six regular-season games of the 2012 season.

• The Saints and the individuals disciplined are expected to participate in efforts led by the league office to develop programs that will instruct players and coaches at all levels of the game on the need for respect for the game and those who participate in it, on principles of fair play, safety and sportsmanship, and to ensure that bounties will not be part of football at any level.
Sucks for the Rams.

I don't feel sorry at all for the Saints. They got what they deserved for the actions of their coaches and players. The Rams now have to hire a new defensive coordinator after they were looking forward to moving ahead in their plans.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So is Rex Ryan going to throw in Tim Tebow whenever Mark Sanchez is not doing well? I don't know what they're thinking with that move.[/QUOTE]

Pushing the Giants off the back page of the NY tabloids I'd guess.

From a football standpoint, it makes pretty much no sense.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't feel sorry at all for the Saints. They got what they deserved for the actions of their coaches and players. The Rams now have to hire a new defensive coordinator after they were looking forward to moving ahead in their plans.[/QUOTE]

I don't feel sorry for them either. They don't mess with my Cammy Cam!

BTW, this is still the best Offseason despite the Redskins bullshit.

As angry as I've been at the Dolphins horrible offseason, the Jets trading for Tebow has brightened my day a little.

I don't know how i feel about the range of the Saints punishment. On one hand it's really shitty and scary that coaches would encourage players to actively try to hurt and take out key players. On the other-hand I feel the extent of the punishment is a bit harsh unless they have investigated legitimate injuries that occurred due to the bounties.

I absolutely understand the message being sent to the league and that the punishment needs to be significant to discourage this from going on.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So is Rex Ryan going to throw in Tim Tebow whenever Mark Sanchez is not doing well? I don't know what they're thinking with that move.[/QUOTE]

They are thinking sell jerseys sell tickets. This is not an on the field move.

I find the whole Saints thing hilarious since Saints fans were whining so loudly about the donte Whitner hit. Haha

I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor. The best there is. I need to hear an explanation for this punishment
-Drew Brees

Your coach helped run an illegal bounty program and got caught. And no, you don't need to hear an explanation, you just need to show up and do your job.

Filed to ESPN (1): Denver and Jets have encountered hangup in language in Tim Tebow’s contract that could nullify trade.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 21, 2012

(2) If the Tebow trade to Jets falls apart, St. Louis could wind up getting back into play. Sides sorting through details.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 21, 2012
Nice

[quote name='perdition(troy']-Drew Brees

Your coach helped run an illegal bounty program and got caught. And no, you don't need to hear an explanation, you just need to show up and do your job.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Brees needs to shut up.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Cincinnati has reportedly signed a three-year deal with BenJarvus Green-Ellis.[/QUOTE]

Great move for them. I'm really sad to see Green-Ellis go, he's a very solid player, fights hard for the extra yard and never fumbles.

I'm happy for him that he got his pay day though.

The Jets :lol:
[quote name='bvharris']Wow, that's even steeper than I expected. Guess it's pretty clear the NFL found this much worse than Spygate, the punishment for which now seems like a slap on the wrist.

As a Patriots fan, this news absolutely elates me.[/QUOTE]From a competitive standpoint this has nothing on the Patriots videos but the Saints had to get the smack down since they were lying for years and the NFL is getting sued from ex players for head injuries so they got to make an example out of this.

[quote name='DT778']
From a competitive standpoint this has nothing on the Patriots videos but the Saints had to get the smack down since they were lying for years and the NFL is getting sued from ex players for head injuries so they got to make an example out of this.[/QUOTE]

The competitive impact of the Patriots' taping program has been greatly exaggerated over the years, especially since it's pretty common knowledge at this point that the practice was at least as prevalent in the NFL at the time as bounty programs likely were prior to the Saints scandal.

It's pointless to argue about Spygate 5 years later though, so I'm not even going to bother.

The Tebow hangup is apparently due to some clause in his contract where the receiving team would have to pay Denver $5 million or so in return, which also caused a deal with Jacksonville to fall through.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Tebow hangup is apparently due to some clause in his contract where the receiving team would have to pay Denver $5 million or so in return, which also caused a deal with Jacksonville to fall through.[/QUOTE]

And which the Jets apparently didn't bother to read before announcing the deal. Oh, Jets. Never change. :D

[quote name='bvharris']The competitive impact of the Patriots' taping program has been greatly exaggerated over the years, especially since it's pretty common knowledge at this point that the practice was at least as prevalent in the NFL at the time as bounty programs likely were prior to the Saints scandal.

It's pointless to argue about Spygate 5 years later though, so I'm not even going to bother.[/QUOTE]Yeah the competitive impact was so insignificant that the Patriots were doing it for years.

---
So now Tebow to the Jets then? We'll then send that circus to the Rams.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Adam Schefter says the Jaguars are back in the Tebow race, so this seems to be a clusterfuck now.[/QUOTE]

The NFL should make the Jets suck it up, it's their own fault they couldn't be bothered to read the contract of the player they were trading for before making the deal.

The Jets really are a three-ring circus, not only are they upset about the Giants (rightly) getting all the attention in New York, but they also apparently couldn't handle people talking so much about division rival Miami's incompetence. :lol:

geez are all Pats fans delusional? This ruling doesn't say a damn thing about Spygate. Sorry.

Plus Goodell was fairly new at the job and Belichick did get the max fine.

in other words. NOTHING will take away the stink on the Pats from that era

[quote name='usickenme']geez are all Pats fans delusional? This ruling doesn't say a damn thing about Spygate. Sorry.

Plus Goodell was fairly new at the job and Belichick did get the max fine.

in other words. NOTHING will take away the stink on the Pats from that era[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hold Spygate against the Patriots if it weren't for the fact they haven't won since they got caught. Makes the impact seem greater.

[quote name='DestroVega']I wouldn't hold Spygate against the Patriots if it weren't for the fact they haven't won since they got caught. Makes the impact seem greater.[/QUOTE]

They haven't won the Super Bowl, but they've had several great seasons and won a ton of games since then.

So I don't view it that way, once you get to the playoffs luck is a big factor since it's one loss and you're done. One off game, bad match up etc. and you go home.

[quote name='DestroVega']I wouldn't hold Spygate against the Patriots if it weren't for the fact they haven't won since they got caught. Makes the impact seem greater.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but it's not like they have been complete garbage since then...

[quote name='metalmat']What a bunch of bull! Saints just being crucified and made an example![/QUOTE]

So who should they make an example of? A team with a less-regimented bounty program?

[quote name='metalmat']What a bunch of bull! Saints just being crucified and made an example![/QUOTE]

lolrusrs?

Tebow to the Jets is now officially official.

So if Brees stat pads his way to the playoffs and gets a high seed, does the payton suspension even mean anything. I guess the loss of the picks is severe idk.

They've been to 2 Super Bowls since. Yes they loss, but getting to the Super Bowl is impressive any year. T

[quote name='renique46']So if Brees stat pads his way to the playoffs and gets a high seed, does the payton suspension even mean anything. I guess the loss of the picks is severe idk.[/QUOTE]

But you're assuming Brees is going to be content this season. You're also assuming the NFL is going to let that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back