Official 2011-2012 NBA Season thread

I dont think the Celtics really needed him. What does he have 1-2 more good years? Celtics will get someone else, like Terry who is a little younger. Allen can still shoot but I think Terry's got a little more gas in his tank.
So has OKC wised up and dumped "foul-happy-I-cant-shoot-Perkins" yet? Just get another center and have Collision start...

Crawford to LAC...are the Blazers going to have an empty roster next year?

Saw that the Heat and Rockets were maybe thinking sign and trade for Camby which is OK until I heard the name Battier involved?!?!

better just be rumors, you cant trade the 3 most important finals player

Also did anyone else see the rumors of a 3 team deal between portland, minnesota, and philly.

With batum to minnesota, derrick williams to philly, and iggy to portland. I think that trade works for all 3 teams

[quote name='merchie89']Saw that the Heat and Rockets were maybe thinking sign and trade for Camby which is OK until I heard the name Battier involved?!?!

better just be rumors, you cant trade the 3 most important finals player[/QUOTE]

They need size but losing Battier would be a hit. I think I make that deal though if the Nets eventually land Howard.

The Bucks have reportedly offered Kirk Hinrich a contract worth "upwards of $4 million a year," while the Bulls have offered him "between the veteran's minimum and somewhere upwards of $2 million."
Why? We have Ellis, Jennings, Udrih, Harris, and the rookie from Kentucky. If anything we need a scoring big man.

Well i guess we are still trying to sign Ilyasova, or maybe carl landry. No idea why we would want przybilla, we already have defensive big men.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='advanced']What do you think he's going to do in Miami? Is the league going to allow them to start 6 players on the floor? Do you think he'll start at SG, move Wade to PG and kick Chalmers to the bench?[/QUOTE]

LBJ
Wade
Allen
Bosh
Haslem

Miami is going to end up going small against just about everyone except teams with true C's. It's what they started seeing the most success with.

When I posted that, I believed his issue was not being able to start. Now that it comes out that he was looking to "stick it to the Celtics" (Woj's words, not mine), it doesn't really matter anymore.

Allen comes off as a little bit of a diva in all this, he didn't like Rondo telling him where to be on the floor, he didn't think the Celtics ran enough plays for him, he didn't like how the Celtics made KG the offseason priority, he didn't like hearing his name in trade rumors, he didn't think he was appreciated enough...

[quote name='dafoomie']Allen comes off as a little bit of a diva in all this, he didn't like Rondo telling him where to be on the floor, he didn't think the Celtics ran enough plays for him, he didn't like how the Celtics made KG the offseason priority, he didn't like hearing his name in trade rumors, he didn't think he was appreciated enough...[/QUOTE]

Everything that has trickled out since the announcement has really cast him in a different light in my eyes. I can get a few of those (the trade rumors especially), but a few of them are crazy. KG was coming off of a dominant postseasons, Allen was coming off of double ankle surgery. Rondo often killed shot clock while waiting for Ray to run through his 15 or so screens set for him and Ray to not even be open after them. I can't count how many times I've yelled at my TV because of that.

Why would he want to come back? For a team that says they want him, but have tried to trade him? To split minutes with Terry behind Bradley? To suffer through a season where KG gets hurt, Pierce fakes no less than 37 injures, Rondo takes way too many shots and doesn't make nearly enough of them, and the Celtics don't get close to sniffing a ring? You guys are just pissed because it'd be easier to blame him if he had just left for more money.

I think the celtics got an upgrade in Terry over Allen. Terry can hit 3s just like allen. but he is probably faster, less injury prone, can run the point, can create shots for himself and others. To me the Celtics look like a better team than last year, and they got to the ECF last year. Adding Fab Mello, Sullenger, Terry, Green, and bringing back KG and Bass were all good moves.

[quote name='merchie89']Jeff Green makes them far, far worse. He is making what Terry and Allen would have made combined. Thats insane. and he is a backup[/QUOTE]

Its closer to 8-9 than 11 per year, but I get your point.

I think Ainge is hoping that he comes back and can be an all-star caliber player. He'll probably be wrong but I'll be happy to eat my words if he's right. I don't think its a good signing at all.

[quote name='advanced']Its closer to 8-9 than 11 per year, but I get your point.

I think Ainge is hoping that he comes back and can be an all-star caliber player. He'll probably be wrong but I'll be happy to eat my words if he's right. I don't think its a good signing at all.[/QUOTE]

he is getting more than beasley per year, and beasley may be insane but he is at least 20 and 10 capable.

Jeff Green isnt a driver, shooter, or distributor....boo

[quote name='renique46']Looks like Orlando Tragic are trading Ryan Anderson to New Orleans.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Dwight really wants to stick around now.

Hate to see Anderson go, but not sure he's worth the money he'll be getting. Especially if they get a new coach that runs a real offense and they don't chuck so many 3's per game.

Wow Orlando is such a moronic franchise they're actually gonna ship Howard to where he wants to go instead of finding the best deal for THEM.

[quote name='renique46']Wow Orlando is such a moronic franchise they're actually gonna ship Howard to where he wants to go instead of finding the best deal for THEM.[/QUOTE]

What don't people understand? Orlando doesn't have a choice. He's not going to sign an extension upon arrival to any team other than Brooklyn, if you traded for him under that premise, you're basically asking for disaster to strike. You think the Lakers can trade Bynum and "hope" Howard decides to stay there? That's an insane leap of faith. So the Magic can let him play out the year at about 50% effort, while the fans boo him mercifully and at the end of the season you get nothing for him, or you take the most you can get from the Nets.

Unfortunately the league is set up to hold teams hostage to player's demands, this exact same scenario went down with Carmelo Anthony.

Orlando has a new GM, new coach, they should tear the whole thing down, get what they can from Brooklyn, and start from scratch. What good is Howard to them now anyway? They will never even get to the Eastern finals the way the league is set up now.

Another problem with the Lakers trade option is that Bynum is not agreeing to sign a long term deal with Orlando and that they just traded 2015 and 2017 first round picks to Phoenix. NBA rules don't allow trading first rounders in consecutive years do they can't trade another first round pick until 2019.

At least with the Nets they can get a competent center in Lopez and some first rounders to aid the rebuilding process.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Prime example why I value an athlete's opinion of another player about as much as I do my girlfriend's.[/QUOTE]

Joe Johnson's a very good player. It's just that he has the worst contract in the NBA.

Woj says that if the 3 team deal goes through, Magic would get: Brook Lopez, Damion James, Shelden Williams and Luke Walton in that deal. Along with 3-4 first round picks.

Luuuuuuukke. :lol:

lol Dan Gilbert trying to stick it to the Heat by trying to become a third team to allow such a shitty trade to go through.

If trade goes down, what it may look like:

scaled.php

I could live with that mainly for the first round picks. Not much they can do with Howard refusing to sign long-term with anyone but the Nets.

Just have to get picks and hope some pan out (or can be used to trade up in the next draft) in landing a super star eventually.

I can't even imagine what the tax for the Nets is going to be going forward. Next time there is a CBA I don't want to hear any owners crying poor. Cuban and Arison were the only ones to vote against the current CBA from the owners, so anyone else complaining needs to shut the fuck up. If Miami's tax bill is going to be 45 million soon, the fucking Nets is going to be something like 60-70.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I can't even imagine what the tax for the Nets is going to be going forward. Next time there is a CBA I don't want to hear any owners crying poor. Cuban and Arison were the only ones to vote against the current CBA from the owners, so anyone else complaining needs to shut the fuck up. If Miami's tax bill is going to be 45 million soon, the fucking Nets is going to be something like 60-70.[/QUOTE]

The Nets owner made $40 million. YESTERDAY

[quote name='DestroVega']The Nets owner made $40 million. YESTERDAY[/QUOTE]

I'm not denying that he isn't rich and won't spend like crazy to try and win. It just pisses me off because we had a lockout to avoid this shit and the only thing it accomplished was it broke up the mavs title team.

It's not like they can go out and sign a quality 4, right? They'll have the few exceptions and vet min contracts to fill out that roster after so long, right?

Still, that's a horrible team setup they have in my book.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I'm not denying that he isn't rich and won't spend like crazy to try and win. It just pisses me off because we had a lockout to avoid this shit and the only thing it accomplished was it broke up the mavs title team.[/QUOTE]

Blame that on Cuban. He put all his eggs in the "we'll sign Deron and Dwight" basket.

[quote name='advanced']It's not like they can go out and sign a quality 4, right? They'll have the few exceptions and vet min contracts to fill out that roster after so long, right?

Still, that's a horrible team setup they have in my book.[/QUOTE]

I agree

It's interesting that the Cavs are kind of just renting out their cap space to take a few players that they can use for now and trade later for more picks for the future to go with the ones they already have. They even get rid of Luke Walton, so the only way it could get better is if Omri Casspi went with him.

Seeing Kris Humphries as part of this REALLY makes me wish he and Kim would have worked out so she'd have to go to Cleveland every once in a while.

LOL @ trading for Brook Lopez Max contract, the same dude who got benched because he couldn't even grab more boards than the shittiest C's in the league.:applause:
Hell Houston had the better package and didn't care that they were renting Dwight, should have taken it and let them deal with the extension nonsense.

[quote name='advanced']It's not like they can go out and sign a quality 4, right? They'll have the few exceptions and vet min contracts to fill out that roster after so long, right?

I don't think so. The Heat have proved that you can throw most of your salary cap at a big 3 and fill out the roster with role players and win a title.

Just don't need a true, complete team in today's era of stand around and watch the superstars go one-on-one NBA basketball.

The Nets don't need a quality 4. Their 4 only needs to be able to shoot 3s and rebound. That's about it. Someone like Radmanovic and Clark can do that. The Nets potential downfall could be their lack of depth but then again there are plenty of vets out there, with something left in the tank, who will take the veteran's minimum. As a Knicks fan I welcome the challenge but I realize that my team is falling further and further behind in the arms race.

At this point, the Nets should tell the Magic to go fuck themselves, and resign Brook, Hump, and keep all their picks.

Then if Howard is smart, take the mini-mid level from the Nets the next two years ($6 million total) because his sneaker contract balloons to like $250 million if he plays in NYC. After two years the Nets can max him out at 5/$100million.

The Nets roster would then be

Howard
Lopez
Humphries
Wallace
Brooks
Johnson
Williams
The foreign guy they got, and 3 to 4 more role players.

Sorry, you'd win multiple titles with that team. But would Howard take mini-mid level for two years? He should, his shoe contract more than covers the difference.

I doubt it. I don't see him taking much less than the max. Sure, the shoe contract covers the difference, but he can have the shoe deal and the max. Given his immaturity and back and forth on this crap, I just don't see him as the type to sacrifice millions for a better chance at a title.

Plus the nets probably aren't willing to take that big of a salary cap/luxury tax hit. They need to dump Lopez, Humphrey's etc. to make it feasible.

Current ESPN story says the Magic are exploring options with other teams now. But I figure he ends up going to the Nets once the wrinkles with the third/fourth team in the trade are ironed out.

On a positive note, the Magic's rookies and last year pick Justin Harper and playing very well in summer league so far. Could be they already have some good cogs for the rebuilding process in place.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think so. The Heat have proved that you can throw most of your salary cap at a big 3 and fill out the roster with role players and win a title.

Just don't need a true, complete team in today's era of stand around and watch the superstars go one-on-one NBA basketball.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, when you're building a team now, especially in the East, you have to sit back and ask yourself, "Can we build a 'Big 3' as a good as the Heat's?" If the Nets got Howard, I don't believe that 3 is near as good as James, Wade, and Bosh, especially if Wade's surgery goes well, and he's back 100% next year. Also, as much as we knock the Heat's supporting cast, it would still be light years ahead of the Nets in this scenario, unless Brooklyn was able to pull off something else decent.

As much as I knock the Knicks for poor front office management, I think they are taking the right tact, realizing they could never match Miami's Big 3, and are instead trying to come at them with a very deep bench.

Yeah, it's not as good a big 3 for sure, but not light years behind. Just different since Howard is much better inside than Bosh. But Johnson/Williams aren't near the backcourt/wing combo as Wade (if healthy--and he's getting older) and James.

Supporting cast just depends on what they can put together in terms of roll players and and vets signing for the minimum like the Heat have done.

Howard is better inside than Bosh, but I can see the Heat going "small" against the Nets and forcing Howard to guard Bosh, who can nail the perimeter shot. That would force Howard out of the key, neutralizing him defensively.

The Heat signed Rashard Lewis at a discount. If they get him healthy, they are building a pretty deep team...

Heat may also bring in Kwame or Pryzbilla as big man depth, neither should play but its a good depth move

Read something about talks about Howard to LA, and Bynum to Houston 3 team deal.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I doubt it. I don't see him taking much less than the max. Sure, the shoe contract covers the difference, but he can have the shoe deal and the max. Given his immaturity and back and forth on this crap, I just don't see him as the type to sacrifice millions for a better chance at a title.

Plus the nets probably aren't willing to take that big of a salary cap/luxury tax hit. They need to dump Lopez, Humphrey's etc. to make it feasible.

Current ESPN story says the Magic are exploring options with other teams now. But I figure he ends up going to the Nets once the wrinkles with the third/fourth team in the trade are ironed out.

On a positive note, the Magic's rookies and last year pick Justin Harper and playing very well in summer league so far. Could be they already have some good cogs for the rebuilding process in place.[/QUOTE]

All true except these two things:

Howard's shoe contract only brings back insane money if he's playing in LA or NYC. if the Lakers somehow get him, ok cool. But other than that, taking the mid-level for two years until he maxes out is still more total money than playing in say Houston with max money from the get go.

And secondly, the Nets have an owner who doesn't care about how much luxury tax he pays, he will pay whatever. He can make enough money to pay the luxury tax in one week.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Howard is better inside than Bosh, but I can see the Heat going "small" against the Nets and forcing Howard to guard Bosh, who can nail the perimeter shot. That would force Howard out of the key, neutralizing him defensively.

The Heat signed Rashard Lewis at a discount. If they get him healthy, they are building a pretty deep team...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The Heat are the team to beat. Their only glaring weakness is at C or PG, which they have yet to address. This is one area the Nets could exploit... assuming they get Howard. Having said that defending the Heat will be a nightmare now that they picked up , Allen and Lewis. Lebron and Wade will face fewer double teams.

bread's done
Back