Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='schultzed']That was a great haul of Fisher Price toys that you had. I don't see very good sets much at rummage sales . . . I've only bought them at thrifts and its very rare that I get good ones. I think they get scooped up fast.

A little story about CDs. A few weeks ago, I was at a neighborhood/subdivision sale and there were about 20 homes in a long horseshoe shape several blocks long. It gave the sale a kinda natural progression. I was going along and then I spotted this guy with a very beatup station wagon. I was about a step ahead of him but I noticed the kind of stuff he was buying was nifty collectibles. He made me think of slowdive because he had some valuable looking toys in his car--I'm sure he would buy lawn Jarts. Mostly, I thought that this guy and I could be good picking buddies because I don't generally go for ebay-type stuff. But on the other hand, I also bet he would scoop up classic videogame stuff :whistle2:(

Anyway, we were pretty much neck and neck until I hit a sale with a ton of CDs and then I had to stop and look through. I wasn't slowed down too much because it was all very common stuff and overpriced but it still took a few minutes to assess--maybe 4 or 5 mins. I did pick up a few winners. But as I left this sale, I could only watch helplessly as the cool-collectibles guy had moved on well ahead of me. Luckily, there aren't that many people near me who are close picking media the way I do but one the other hand this kind of buying probably kills my ability to pick up FP toys, Jarts, and probably even classic videogames.

If the sale had been a gold mine of CDs or books, I'd have been dead in the water.[/QUOTE]

Might read crazy, but when I happen upon "him" I risk leaving the sale we're both at till later and just get ahead of "him" ....

I also run across a "her" that digs inexpensive bikes (like I do) I buyem cheap and dirty, clean & oil them up and usually get at least $20 over what I paid. Lots of time and work but I enjoy bringing them back to life and selling them for less than anyone else on craigs...
the "her" (my bike competition) will try to buy over me (interupts my negotiations with the seller...) drives me crazy, but when I spot her, I leave quickly and just get ahead ...

[quote name='donut']Might read crazy, I leave quickly and just get ahead ...[/QUOTE]

Actually reads pretty sensible. I was thinking something along these lines. Maybe bring along a camera and when I spot a sale that's going to take some serious digging and evaluation, snap a pic of the house and come back a litle later or jot down a note. But no matter what I do, the media buying slows me down compared to those who really specialize. :whistle2:(

In terms of competition, I think we all face it.

Last Thursday, there were really only 2 advertised sales that I was interested in and it was nasty out (rain and wind). I bought a few things at the first and the second was a no-go but near the second I found an unadvertised sale and stopped. It was just at open with the unpleasant weather and I walked up just behind one other guy (slightly familar but not one of my known competition). This guy was at least in his fifties. I watched him walk up and ask about videogames . . . fuck

Dexter Season 1 DVD
The Last Samurai 2-disc DVD
$2 total

Back to the Future Trilogy DVD set
Jackie Brown Special Edition DVD
Requiem for a Dream DVD
Die Hard Collection DVD set
Yellow Submarine VHS

Super Mario 64 N64 cart only
Mario Kart 64 cart only
Zelda Majora's Mask N64 complete
Zelda Ocarina of Time N64 complete
Conker's Bad Fur Day N64 cart only
Paper Mario N64 cart only

Excitebike 64 with box
Perfect Dark N64 cart only
Starfox 64 cart only

Zelda Link to the Past GBA complete
Mario Kart Super Circuit GBA complete
$14 total

Good week!

Pelican Switch Box (Not Picture) - 4

This was the only video game related item I bought on Friday. No price offered a buck, was asking 10 and made sure to tell me how it was 30 when it was bought new. Seller offered to do 6 to which I said thanks but no thanks then as I was walking away the seller offered to do 4.

4 Playstation Game Cases - Free
Disc Only PS1 Games (Crash 2 & 3, X-Com & Street Fighter Alpha - 2
4 32x Games (Complete minus Virtua Racing Which Is Missing The Slip Cover - 2
3 GameCube Games (Complete Except For A Mario Party 6 Manual) - 9

Saw some PS1 games but they ended up being empty cases which were going to be thrown out so I offered to take them...walked up the street at this street sale, asked about games to which I was shown a case with what was mostly disc only PS1 games that was buried under some clothes (finding a game for the empty Crash 3 case) they were asking .50 each. At a different sale I saw 32x games out marked .50 each. GameCube games were brought out when I asked about games. I picked out 3 which were offered for 10 I pointed out the missing manual and offered 8 to which we ended up meeting at 9.

GameCube Bundle With Some Misc (GC Hookups Not Pictured) - 10

Saw all of this in a box (minus The GBA) marked 20. GBA didn't turn on, I originally picked out the 3 Mario games and asked about plugging in the GBA. Seller offered to do 2 a game to which I decided to instead ask if they'd rather do 10 for the whole box which was accepted. I changed my mind about the GBA since it wasen't charging and they were going to throw it out so I ended up getting it for free. Middle row of games is complete, bottow 3 boxed and the top two cases only.

SNES System With 16 Game & 3 N64 Games - 11

Asked about games and brought out a box of games, then rounded up and brought out the sytem with Battletoad/Double Dragon in it. I'm looking over the games, they look like hell and the system also I even pointed out the spot where the AC adaptor goes on the system being broken but I was told that it all works and that the games just need cleaned with the old Q-tip and rubbing alcohol (looks like they never were and will need more then that at this point!) I was urged to make an offer so I went ahead and offered 5 to which the lady countered with 10 which I took and got the 3 N64 games added in for another buck.

SNES System With 11 Games (No AC Adaptor) - 10

Asked about games and this was brought out. I asked about the AC adaptor which wasen't present and mom said it was probably plugged into the wall still, after 2 different kids and mom couldn't find it I said I'd still be interested and was offered it for 10 which I figured would be rude to counter at this point after all of the trouble.

Vectrex System With Controller - 3

This was marked 5 and I asked about trying it out unfornately with Minestorm the ship continuously spins clockwise when the controller is neutral (thinking controller is bad, maybe controller port). Everything else seems fine and the lady offered to do 3 when I mentioned the problem to her.

Non Video Game Finds

Castle Grayskull In About As Good of Shape As I'd Expect To Find At A Yardsale - .50 (Asking Price)
5 DVDs (Beavis & Butt-Head Volume 2 & 3 Sealed) - 13

Nice selection of DVDs at this sale 4 for 10 and found out that the sets weren't exempt from this price. I had 3 picked out and the guy mentioned how he lives a few houses down and could grab B&B Vol 2, he came back with 2 and 3 both sealed and offered to do all for 15 pointing out how they were new and I counted with 13 which was accepted.

Non Find BS
Friday - I wasen't going to go out Friday, not very many sales but I decided to hit up one area with some sale all nearby to ease up the number of sales Saturday, got to 7 sales and was lazy and didn't get out till almost 9:30 and wasen't even out for an hour.

One sale mentioned PS2 & PS3 games had a GTA game for PS2 & a baseball game for PS1, BSing at the next sale the lady pointed out how she went over on Thursday interested in the PS3 games and said they didn't have any, sounded like they might have changed their mind and didn't put any PS3 games out.

The sale I got the Pelican Switch Box was at a small street sale, I went to 2 sales and across the street to one last sale that I almost went to first. When I get across the street I see a small box with a GameCube and a boxed copy of Mario 64 with Mario looking right at me and little to nothing else it seemed but I notice that an older fella with grey hair is asking about and paying for it (10) as I'm noticing it. The seller also mentioned something Luigi (which I verified as Luigi's Mansion shortly afterwards and at that I think it was disc only in the system). When I saw the guy buying I was having deja vu but I can't remember exactly where in my travels I've seen him and just looking at him he strikes me as somebody who only got into buying video games at yardsales to resell online. This was a reminder to not be lazy and get right out even on days that don't seem very promising for any reason as I could have easily been out the door much earlier.

Asked about games at this same sale and the guy said his son has some games but he's at school and he'd have to ask him and that I could come back on Saturday. The only reason he was selling what he was at the yardsale was because Jr already had it and that it was acquired from a family member who passed away. I didn't bother coming back as chances of Jr parting with anything were slim I figured and probably wouldn't be just looking to get rid of it cheap if he did decide to sell after some prying. Without getting into it too deep, dad was a shyster type character.

Last sale I went to Friday had PS1 and 2 games with a slim PS2 but everything was a mess, I notice a case only Jade Cacoon and disks for other games misplaced. Asked about video games, something about a closet and how it's a mess and asked about me coming back tomarrow.

Saturday - I got out about about 10-15 minutes before 8 and in what ended up being a mess of a day was out longer then I should have been and didn't get home till about 1:30. Got to about 46 sales.

Heard some of the usual sold at some point, still have or who knows where it wents.

Made one of my first stops a sale from last year, I got some misc boxes, Manuals, 2600 games and a broken ColecoVision which was all fished out of the house last year for 20. They couldn't find some ColecoVision games last year and took my number and as always never called. Advertised as a moving sale this year so I had some hope that they dug deeper into the house and may have decided to put said ColecoVision games out. I get to the sale and instead I see a 2600 in a game storage center deal with 13 games marked $50 and a plastic book (like I found at the flea market about a month ago) with 8 games and a wad of manuals stuck in it marked 10 so for all of it 60 bucks for a system with 21 games if my math is right. This was actually the sale I got Castle Grayskull at so I picked that up and paid for it then afterward asked about the Atari.

The guy wasen't around it was his wife and some younger family members out running the sale. I offered $20 which was a no go and politely asked about making a deal later on especially if it's got to go (this was a moving sale after all). Sounded as if the price was firm and with very little if any haggle room and it sounded as if the wife was given orders not to drop the price and she went ahead and mentioned the good old eBay if it doesn't sell as a backup plan. I personally believe folks who try selling something for what it's "worth" in their estimations at a yardsale first before going ahead and selling on eBay are typically buffing and don't know how/want to deal with selling online. Only game I didn't have was Buck Rogers or Star Trek (can't remember which it was) a label varient in Burger Time (white) and a few of the manuals.

I don't want to say I'm completely surprised with the results of how it was going when I found more old games at this house out and ready to be sold this year. When the guy brought out what I got last year my read was that he wasen't going to sell it after lugging it out and I think I kind of caught him off guard and out of his comfort zone at that point if he turned me down.

Pretty early in my route I stopped back at the sale I was at on Friday and was asked to come back at about 9:30 when another family member came who had games.

I was happy to find Street Fighter Alpha, I actually still have a case and manual from when I bought it new shortly after it came out. I don't remember how but I somehow lost the game itself which is now replaced. I have also been interested in getting a Vectrex and only figured I would find one in the wild much cheaper then they sell online if I was really lucky, even with it's problems I can't really complain for what I paid. I never had or played one before but my one friend had one back in the day and has fond memories of it. I didn't break down my finds as such but I actually got the Vectrex, emptly cases & SNES with 11 games at the same sale and almost forgot to ask about video games after I paid for the Vectrex.

Shortly after the sale I got the Vectrex etc at another yardsaler came up to me who overheard me asking about video games and told me about a Nintendo system she saw at a community sale with about 5 to 10 games but didn't know much about games. I asked if she noticed how much and she said 10 and I said thanks but it will probably be gone to which she mentioned it was under a table as if it was rather hidden. I was going to this community sale last if I had time and it was out of the way but I figured what the hell and went right to it even if I was zigzagging around.

I got to the community sale at about 9:30~9:45 and turned onto the street I was told the Nintendo was seen on. Very first sale on the street I see and stop at an older guy (once again old enough to have grey hair) is picking up a box as I walk up and I notice what I recognize as an orange zapper and can tell that he's walking off with it. He's walking down the street with it and stopping at a few other sales carrying it with him instead of putting it in his car right away. I think I saw all (if not most) of the games. SMB3, Heavy Barrel, yellow label Metroid (IIRC) a boxed Game Genie under some stuff and a boxed or complete Smash TV on it's side. The boxed Game Genie would have been nice since I don't have one with the box but Smash TV has been a mild want for the NES for me that I've been hoping to find in the wild so to see I just missed a boxed/complete copy in what looked to be mint condition after not seeing it in the last 5 or so years of being on the hunt was more annonying/frustrating then it should have been.

I could think of a few things I could have done differently to get to this sale just before this guy (I actually got off the highway at the wrong exit and was slowed down by traffic lights and figured chances are being slowed down a couple of minutes isn't really going to make a difference) but it's spilled milk at this point and if not for being told about this sale I probably would have heard about this miss 2 hours later from the old ladies who were running the sale with some sort a vague description if anything more then the generic video games are gone type line.

Shortly after this sale I stopped at a sale which had 2 Xbox games out. Asked about games and was told that some guy bought about 40 NDS games (this to be followed up on in the flea market thread). After that I was feeling like the community sale would be a bust for anything video game related but I did go on to find the 32x games & GameCube+ bundle.

After the commmunity sale I almost got back to my regularly scheduled yardsale route with a detour of a 3rd stop at the one house before getting back on track. I get to the house and it's shortly after 10:30. I'm told that some of the games were sold already, PS2 slim is gone and if not all a chunck of the PS1, 2 games as well. I made sure that was what was sold and clarify again that I'm mostly interested in older games (Friday some of this stuff was mentioned along with a "closet" that I forgot about) Mom was who I was mostly dealing with and she must not have really understood me too well. This closet was too much for her to deal with on Friday and eariler on Saturday I was told to come back later when some other family came as if they were actually the ones bringing and selling older games. By this time some more family members were up and sitting around at the yardsale and her high school aged daughter who was out for the first time seemed to know exactly where it was and was happy to round it up instead of sitting around doing nothing as was before I got to the sale and probably the only reason this ended up turning into anything.

After this I got back on track with my route and things pretty much got back to a more normal boring yardsaling day (the 3 GC games & DVDs the finds for the rest of the day). The only other minor thing I forgot to mention is 2 sales in particular mentioned Wii games already being sold and one house just mention "video games" late in the day that I missed, by the newer current gen code book left I'm guess it was current or last gen games of some sort. I don't remember seeing any insanely overpirced video game stuff this weekend either.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Shazyzang']
Back to the Future Trilogy DVD set
Jackie Brown Special Edition DVD
Requiem for a Dream DVD
Die Hard Collection DVD set
Yellow Submarine VHS
[/QUOTE]

Funny, I picked up the Yellow Submarine VHS this week too :whistle2:#

Good find on the Vectrex system. I passed by one once, though it probably would have been worth buying at $100 (it came with boxed games).

I only went out Friday last weekend. So these are 1 day's finds (about 4 hours and 16 sales hit).

Starting with miscellaneous:

Ohio Bathroom Reader book (not read or stored in the bathroom) and working Original Swatch .25 each

76116668.jpg

Bingo game SEALED $1

aff7ef8f.jpg

Comic Art Portfolios: Wanted $2 each, paid $3 for all

a2702b1e.jpg

1c62d4df.jpg

Killzone Black Label $3 (I don't have it, so I just wanted a copy to play)
And Drop Dead Diva Season 1 SEALED $1 (ooh that is a good one!)

8df3e428.jpg

Xbox controllers with extensions .50 each. Didn't bother dealing because she said she would call me if they had more game stuff. (she was not set up yet when I drove by)

4d33f499.jpg

I paid $13 for everything (some of the games were marked higher, but I paid $1 each)

both sealed
08acf765.jpg

High School Musical is SEALED
c85b42bf.jpg

I guess that champions one is a good one!
bd5a8554.jpg

Atari 2600 Woody
How much?
$10
I'll take it for $5
OK

528f50ae.jpg

Do you guys have any video games?

Oh what about that n64 your sister didn't want? Go get it!

How much do you want for it?

I don't know make an offer.

$5

How about $7

Sounds good!

9f1b9fd6.jpg

6ac94e7a.jpg

[quote name='slowdive21']
I guess that champions one is a good one![/QUOTE]

A year or two ago I saw that game at a sale by my cousins' house marked $1, along with some other game that was also worth around $20 at the time. Neither of them had the game disks in them, so I got the cases + manuals for free. Looked them up when I got home that day and found out they were valuable..I had no idea that they were too.

Holy cow, its taken me a long time to put this together.

On Saturday morning there was a sale on CL that advertised games . . . starting at 8:30, so I got there about 8:00 and they had to get the games out.

These systems (all have hookups and a controller) were marked $20 but I got all three for $45:

I had some hopes for the GC mobile screen (no experience with them) but it doesn't add much value.

Then I starting picking out some games (all marked $2) but I started negotiating and ended up with all they had:

Paid $20 for these games pictured . . . so $65 for everything. No good N64 Marios to sweeten the deal but I swear the Duke Nukems are worth more than they were a year or two ago.

I didn't overpay but it also wasn't a real score (like FOnewearl's SNES bundles).

Still considering I only had a little time on Saturday, it was nice to find some stuff and be ahead of the competition.

I only went out Friday last weekend. So these are 1 day's finds-part 2 (about 4 hours and 16 sales hit).

This lot is from the same house where I bought the xbox controllers.

Paid $10 for everything (Conan is a good one ;))

This is one of the times I wish I had a scanner. There was money to be made, but I do not have the room to buy all of their stuff!

0dadfade.jpg

My first Laser Disc Player:

c5a40d80.jpg

And Discs...
083d1735.jpg

7cf77382.jpg

I wanted the muppets record.
0f7f0037.jpg

d1814496.jpg

46adb8fc.jpg

622ff684.jpg

96e23cee.jpg

d08a7787.jpg

c4474b2b.jpg

335f747f.jpg

2ae04209.jpg

dfd9ca72.jpg

Still SEALED
cb453d51.jpg

These are from good will, but I wanted to share. If there is a GW thread let me know!

Comics were .99 each

CIB original gameboy $6.99 (sans headphones...which I may have in a box still from my mega lot a couple of years ago. Hopefully I didn't throw them away!)

Oh and I used my birthday coupon , so I got 25% off everything!

ae69aa8c.jpg

246a0fe6.jpg

59e0f299.jpg

79233252.jpg

Some of my Saturday finds (already sold 2 of 3 bikes)

004.jpg

photobucket4mj
002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Games and guides were $13
Audio books both for $.25
Beatles albums $1 each (took a chance, never see beatles)
Carol burnett episodes & ER Season one $3 all
Silly Atari jersey with some imperfections $1

Well, I got banned from Amazon, so this eliminates most of my yard saling profit as I can't buy most CDs DVDs books VHS etc. Not sure if its worth it anymore.

[quote name='darkslime']Well, I got banned from Amazon, so this eliminates most of my yard saling profit as I can't buy most CDs DVDs books VHS etc. Not sure if its worth it anymore.[/QUOTE]

Banned from amazon? How did you pull that off?

@Slowdive21
Nice find on the GB. Also, the goodwill finds are usually posted in the thrift store thread.

[quote name='darkslime']Well, I got banned from Amazon, so this eliminates most of my yard saling profit as I can't buy most CDs DVDs books VHS etc. Not sure if its worth it anymore.[/QUOTE]

Um, story?

idiot customers who can't read descriptions that say its disc only trying to extort me for my money and leaving negative feedback, and the fact that amazon sides with buyers every time and makes me accept returns even if its not my fault and every time i give a refund my order defect rating goes up. they suspended me, then said my improvement plan wasn't good enough and banned me.

[quote name='schultzed']I didn't overpay but it also wasn't a real score (like FOnewearl's SNES bundles)[/QUOTE]

I'm not as far ahead as you think, that one bundle that was in bad shape I tested all of the hardware after cleaning it up, the RF works & one controller should be in good working order after being taken apart and cleaned. The rest (not surprisingly) wasen't in working order as I was told. I noticed some of the contacts being bad when I looked it over (rusted or corroded, some green coloration on the contacts).

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the batteries were dead in the games and wanted to cry when I went to clean Battletoads/Double Dragon's contacts and saw they were as bad as any game in the bunch.

For something much more positive the broken parts only NES system I got a few weeks ago. Oddly enough the system, controllers & hookups all work fine, just had to take the controllers apart to clean them. One of them while it worked was a mess as it's action was bad since something was spilled on it at some point.

You can still sell on ebay, half.com or try getting rid of things at local stores. Some used book stores will take textbooks and some even sell CD's and video games and give reasonable trade in's. If you have a fleamarket you can try selling stuff there too, but you will have to carry it and if its books that might not be too fun. Look around in your area and see what you can find, it will at least help you get rid of the stuff you have now.

Here are my pickups from this past weekend. Pictures to come later, maybe.

The Sopranos Seasons 1-5
The Office Season 1
Total: $16

These are all in excellent condition, except S3 of The Sopranos is missing 2 discs. Other than that, a pretty good deal.

-----

Super Nintendo/2 controllers/cords
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Game Boy
Aladdin
Lion King
Ahhh Real Monsters

Nintendo 64 games:

Wrestlemania 2000
Doom 64
NBA Courtside
Knockout Kings 2000
Cruis'n USA
Body Harvest
Twisted Edge
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1

Wireless Xbox 360 controller

Total - $15

I pulled up and immediately spotted the SNES games stacked up. When I walked up to the table, I spotted the system laying there, as well as the N64 games and the 360 controller. I asked the woman how much she wanted for the games and she said $1 apiece. I asked her how much for the system, SNES games, and N64 games all together. She said $15. I told her I'd take it and asked her if the 360 controller worked. She said she didn't know. I told her I'd just take the SNES/N64 stuff and she got me a box to put it all in. I was packing everything up, and she said I could go ahead and take the controller if I wanted it. I got it home and synced it up to my 360 and it works fine.

-----

Famicom edition GBA Micro - $7

I spotted this on a table. It's missing the charger, but is in excellent condition, especially considering it belonged to a kid and not a collector.

-----

These next finds are from a sale on Memorial Day.

NES/2 controllers/cords
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Duck Hunt
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Double Dribble
Gyromite

Platinum GBA SP/charger

Uno/Skip-Bo/Uno Freefall for DS

Total: $25

The NES bundle was $5, the SP was $15, and the DS game was $5. I didn't try to haggle because it was church sale raising money for some missionaries. Everything is in really good condition.

Strangely enough, this is the first time I've found the standalone versions of Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I've found multiple copies of Surprise at Dino Peak, but never happened upon the standalone copies of SMB or Duck Hunt.

[quote name='SaraAB']You can still sell on ebay, half.com or try getting rid of things at local stores. Some used book stores will take textbooks and some even sell CD's and video games and give reasonable trade in's. If you have a fleamarket you can try selling stuff there too, but you will have to carry it and if its books that might not be too fun. Look around in your area and see what you can find, it will at least help you get rid of the stuff you have now.[/QUOTE]I already sell video games and stuff on eBay, but a lot of other media is worthless on there and hard to sell locally. most weeks its hard to get video games or easy ebay sale stuff because i have so much competition, there are multiple online video game resellers that yard sale here plus lots of flea market sellers from mexico that buy them.

Anybody know if a '70 Mattel Future Phone is worth anything? Because I just got screwed out of getting one. At this sale I get to I go straight for the toys. As I'm perusing the crap I see an in the box Future Phone I think it's cool pick it up and am holding it while I'm looking around. I than ask how much she says $7 I say $5 she comes back with $6 as I'm thinking this cocksucker says he'll take it for $7 and she comes over snatches it out of my hand. Dude wasn't even looking at the toys and was there long before me. Bastard just wanted it because I did... Cunt.

ADDED:
I should have just taken it for $7 but the cheap bastard in me loves to haggle.

[quote name='DeadStranger']Anybody know if a '70 Mattel Future Phone is worth anything? Because I just got screwed out of getting one. At this sale I get to I go straight for the toys. As I'm perusing the crap I see an in the box Future Phone I think it's cool pick it up and am holding it while I'm looking around. I than ask how much she says $7 I say $5 she comes back with $6 as I'm thinking this cocksucker says he'll take it for $7 and she comes over snatches it out of my hand. Dude wasn't even looking at the toys and was there long before me. Bastard just wanted it because I did... Cunt.

ADDED:
I should have just taken it for $7 but the cheap bastard in me loves to haggle.[/QUOTE]

It is worth between $30-$50 if it is complete in the box and working. Most of them do not work anymore since there is the audio portion and the visual portion of the toy.

I feel your pain. I have had something like that happen to me 2 times (once with a box of comics and once with a xbox) and I just found out the 2 people that did it to me are in business together.

[quote name='slowdive21']It is worth between $30-$50 if it is complete in the box and working. Most of them do not work anymore since there is the audio portion and the visual portion of the toy.

I feel your pain. I have had something like that happen to me 2 times (once with a box of comics and once with a xbox) and I just found out the 2 people that did it to me are in business together.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it was working but it was in box with a disk type thing (kinda looked like a flat film reel). Well, lesson learned, gotta trust my gut.

She also had a box of Indian (Native American) toys. But didn't even get to see those because he grabbed the box as soon as she found it.

We've gotten more aggressive too. I beelined for stuff when we recognize people/cars nearby. After they did it to us, it's like, "fuck you, two can play this game."

Went today and found out that the lack of sales is due to the new permit policy. All garage sales in my area require a permit that limits you to 3 sales a year, and your signs can only be so big as well as the lettering on them. C'mon people, it's a fucking garage sale, lighten up.

So, I went a little out of my way and ended up hitting about 10 sales. Nothing video game related, sadly, but I found a few cool things nonethless.

I'm really excited for tomorrow. Ladd's citywide sales. There looks to be about 40 sales total.

dscn2527c.jpg

Spider-Man Operation - $1
Burger King X-Men Evolution Rogue Toy - .25 cents
Justice League alarm clock - $2
WWF Trivia sealed - $1
Red Samsung 10.2 megapixel camera - $5 (Works perfectly and even had a 2GB memory stick still in it. :D)

Not that good of a day, but not a bad day by any means.

Hit up a "five family" yardsale today that turned out to be about the size of an good yard sale. Still, good prices for the most part but sadly no games.

Ended up snagging two three-tier shelves for $2 each (one wall mount, one standing... finally have more room for games)

Saw a a bunch of cool stuff there I passed on for various reasons. Commodore 64 with a ton of sweet attachments, original box, etc. even had the cassette deck piece. It was marked $100, so I stopped looking at it. Then saw a Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Yoda sign from Kenner. Checked it out and the price was $50. Also passed on a 20 mm military ammo case for $5. It was rusting and sticking some. Finally, sadly I know next to nothing about music but they had some music gear for what seemed like cheap prices. A big Peavey table top thing for $25, a huge amp/speaker for $50 and a smaller guitar board for $5. Tried to find info on it as I swore it said Gibson 600 on it but I couldn't find anything to match online for it.

Ah well, I believe in two weeks is is the nearby community's yardsale. I always find some good deals there.

I went to a community church sale today and found some games.

Baldur's Gate 1 for GC
Luigi's Mansion (GH)
Mario Party 5
Sonic Spinball (genesis)

Paid 5 each for the gamecube games, didnt haggle because the sale was for husbands overseas. I saw the genesis game not knowing how much it was worth(nothing, for those wondering), and asked how much. They gave it to me when I left for talking with them so much, which was nice.

The games are good condition and complete except baldur's gate, which has no manual and is COVERED in stickers from EB/gamestop. Still, not bad all in all. It's been so dry around here for games lately I felt awesome when I finally found something.

I didn't go out today. I had a rough day yesterday...Someone was a step ahead of me all day. :bomb:

I went to a sale that said "No Early birds" (about 10 minutes early) just to scope it out. Of course it was already running and "That whole box was full of games. Some guy was here about 20 minutes ago and bought all of them."

I then hit the next sale on my list: "We had some xbox games, but a guy came and bought all of them."

At that point I decided to drive to a different area across town and:

"I see you have some DS cases here, Do you have any video games for sale?"

"They sold right away. I had a whole box and the guy wanted all of them."

At this point I was about ready to have a stroke, since it is rare that
A: People have video games out for sale
B: That there are actual boxes full of games
C: Someone else beats me to them

I found these for .25 each, but the book is a letdown

33a0f6e5.jpg

I also found these Disney Marx figures which lifted my spirits $2 for all

81bb6120.jpg

I did manage to find some cards at a sale. I paid $3 for everything. I can dump the Chicago team sets at my GS for $3 or $4 each.

c118d97c.jpg

I then got lucky and found some decent comics. It took some tough negotiating, but I was able to buy the ones I wanted for $1 each. I gave her an honest opinion of what she had and since I helped her out she let me buy the ones I wanted. I actually left some that are worth money that were old cartoon comics, but that was the sacrifice I made for 15 cent Marvels.

While I was at the sale another lady told me she had comics for sale and gave me her email address. I will send her a note to see what she's got.

These are my only game finds. This lady was neighbors with the comic lady. She had these with a lot of other games and a PS1 for $75. I asked if she would sell some of the games and she said sure for $3 each. I asked why she had doubles and she said they got some from her brother too, so some of the games are duplicates.

I ended up paying $10 for everything. They are all complete and minty fresh.

da12058f.jpg

Today was the first productive day I've had all year. I haven't been hitting the good weekends for sales. Either I'll sleep through my alarm or it'll be raining when I do get up. But, today was a pretty good day.

NESandSNES.jpg

Bought this from a church rummage sale. $2 for the SNES. $3 for the NES. Games Included. Unfortunately there were no cords/controllers to be found. But, for $5 total, I couldn't pass on it.

DoomandTremorPak.jpg

Doom 32X - $1, TremorPak Plus .50

I'm not much of an expert on 32x stuff, so I took a risk on Doom and paid a $1. It doesn't look like I'll get much of a return from it, but oh well. As far as the TremorPak, I usually don't go for third party accessories, but I had one of these growing up and I loved it.

BoxedGames.jpg

Games and Guide - $6 total

I ended up leaving behind about 6 other games. Deadly Towers, Fandaxu and Fester's Quest are the ones I remember. The guide is apparently the first guide ever published by Nintendo. It briefly covers 90 NES games.

3NESGames.jpg

This was another church sale. 50 cents each.

NESComplete.jpg

This was actually at the same sale as the boxed NES games but he was asking $35 for it this morning. I went back after work and offered him $20. We settled on $25. One of the controller cords is in pretty bad shape (wires showing) so I'll have to toss it.

Total spent: $38

This was my first attempt at yard saling. I got up at 7:30, mapped out some promising sales (15 to be exact) with emphasis on multiple family ones, and set out. The very first one had a bunch of TV shows on DVD for $1.50 each, so that really got my hopes up for the next few. Those hopes were quickly dashed. The next eight I went to were all older church ladies selling their old clothes and knick-knacks...if they ever had things I cared about they were already long gone. Went to a few more duds where I bought a few cheap old books and a Star Wars "Jedi Academy Omnibus" 6-cassette tape box set thing for $0.25.

Finally, at the last one I went to the dude had a giant table covered in DVD box sets. At this point I only had $13 left and he had two things I wanted: all three seasons of Veronica Mars and the box set of the entire X-Files series. I chose Veronica Mars...he wanted $10 per season but when I told him I only had 13 he accepted that. I probably could've gone lower. >_>

Literally the ONLY video game related thing I saw the entire time was two GameGear games, cartridge only. I almost bought them but the lady wanted $1 each and that seemed pricey... lol

So I guess next week I'll try and stick to multi-family or church sales, those seem to be the best. If I still have money left I'll head to a few smaller ones. Here's hoping it turns out better then!

Time Crisis 3 for PS2 for $1

Also, saw a mini laptop, but the guy wasn't around to ask prices, so I walked around a bit.. Some foreign guys bumps me and grabs them and holds on to both and bought them.. The mini was $50 and in pretty good condition. :(

Found absolutely nothing today. Went to 10 sales and there was nothing but overpriced wii games. Stopped at goodwill after and picked up an N64 for $5 so it wasn't all bad.

Great day for me! The season's had a pretty good start, which happened last year and then I stopped finding anything...

Hairspray DVD

$1

3 tennis balls (sealed)

50 cents

Vanilla Sky DVD

2 Game Boy Colors (yellow, no battery cases)
Games, cart only:
Pokemon Yellow GB
Pokemon Blue GB
Pokemon Crystal GBC
Harry Potter GBC
Aladdin GBC
Pooh and Tigger's Honey Safari GBC
Hardcore ECW Revolution GBC

Sega Saturn (system and cables)
Model 1 controller
2 3D Saturn Controllers
Madcatz Saturn Analog Racing Wheel
Saturn GunZ light gun
Saturn RAM Backup (boxed)
Games, complete (mostly):
Daytona USA (2 copies, one longbox, one jewel case)
Nights Into Dreams (2 copies, one jewel, one longbox with 3d control pad box)
Virtua Fighter (2 jewel case, one disc and manual/poster only)
Virtua Cop (jewel case, no back insert, longbox manual)
Virtua Fighter 2 (disc only)
Sega Rally Championship International Rally
Spot Goes to Hollywood
Sonic R
Sonic 3D Blast
ManxTT Superbike
Tomb Raider
Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei

$27 total

First time I've seen Saturn stuff! They asked 20 for everything Saturn, $10 for everything Game Boy, and $2 for the DVD. The only haggling was $5 for Game Boy.

Every single one of my jewel case games is "not for resale", why is this? I don't understand the duplicates either...

[quote name='Shazyzang']
Every single one of my jewel case games is "not for resale", why is this? I don't understand the duplicates either...[/QUOTE]

Games that came with the system (Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, perhaps Virtua Fighter) or in bundles (like Nights, which came with the 3D Controller in a bigger cardboard box) were all labeled "Not For Resale". Not really anything special or out of the ordinary.

Had very limited time for saleing today as I had to take the SAT 2s this morning, so by the time I got back it was around 11:15 or 11:30. With the hour or so I had before all the sales would start closing, I decided to go to 2 promising-sounding sales -- a sale about a mile away advertising games, and a neighborhood sale fairly close to my house.

At the first one, I come up the driveway not expecting to find any games. There's not MUCH competition here but I have witnessed first hand the people looking for games; whether it was because I got to a sale "too late" or because a few came to my yard sale specifically asking for games. I first spot a small row of Xbox games. They were all trashy sport games and were marked about $5 each. But next to them was a Gamecube game marked $2 (for some reason it was marked the least out of all of them).

Paid the full $2 thinking it was worth a lot more. I don't know I just felt like I'd heard of Soul Calibur 2 being more valuable? Maybe I'm just going crazy.
img0524w.jpg
I keep looking around though, because it's a multi-family sale so my thought process was that there might be games in other parts of the sale. I spot a box full of guides marked $0.50 each and take a look. I pull out all the ones I thought might be worth something, along with a whole bunch of Disney (and a few other) VHS tapes that I planned to either resell or keep for nostalgia purposes. Ended up spending $10 total for everything in the pics below: (Not pictured: a few Thomas the Tank Engine VHS tapes which are unfortunately worthless :[ )

img0519smg.jpg
img0518cp.jpg
img0521qv.jpg
img0522gk.jpg
img0523xj.jpg

EDIT: didn't realize these pics would come out sideways. Sorry guys!

Next I went up to the neigborhood sale. It seemed promising because it is in the low-class part of our town, so I figured if there were any games, they'd either be selling them at prices that were way too high (because they need the money) or low (because they need the money :)). Most of the people were just selling clothes and old VHS tapes. One guy had a DDR mat and a few Guitar Hero games for PS2 unmarked. I didn't bother asking how much they were: no room to store a DDR mat or a guitar + they're not worth anything anyway = No.

Then I was walking down looking at everyone's stuff, and I see a lady with her son selling about 5 Xbox games. A few of them looked promising, so I asked how much she wanted for each. She says $5 each :O. I say I'll come back and after I finish looking at the other sales I come back and offer 3 for two that look like pretty ok games. She says yes and I hand her $3 to which she says "Oh you meant $3 for both? I thought you meant $3 for each." She starts going on about how she paid $20 each for them when she bought them and I tell her that now they have Xbox 360 so these are outdated anyway to which she decides to accept the $3 for both. Got everything in the pic below for $3:
img0525y.jpg

Not bad in my neck of the woods either. A couple of the sales were busts (wanted GS prices for games, I'll pass), but found a few deals (I think):

- Fable for Xbox (asking $5, got it for $3), adult-owned & complete
- Super Bubble Pop for Xbox ($2, thought I'd take a chance)
- Star Wars Battlefront II for PSP (disc only, $2) took a chance, will probably end up and give it to my nephew

One of the local charity stores was having a "garage sale", probably to get rid of excess inventory (read "crap they couldn't sell" otherwise) and found these 2:

- Kirby's Air Ride for GC (case & disc, no manual) - 50c
- Gauntlet Dark Legacy for GC (case & disc, no manual) - 50c

Also picked up some miscellaneous other stuff (books, kids clothes, a t-ball set, etc.) for a decent price. I did see some consoles (Genesis, PS1) but don't have the experience to see if they're flip-worthy or the room to store them...

Question for the text book flippers - what do I look for? I don't have cell capable of scanning and a lot of these sales did have text books. Didn't want to take a chance and end up buying something that isn't worth flipping...

Went yard saling with 2 friends on our bikes today. We hit up like 7 yard sales, pretty weak amount for my town, but biking to other towns takes way too long.

Most of the sales didn't have video game stuff or were way too expensive/kids were too annoying to even try to haggle with. Got this at a book sale for 10 cents. I can get $6-10 for it on ebay.

2ykcrvn.jpg

My friend ended up getting Pokemon Diamond and Rayman 2 for DS for $5, he beat me to it. :(

--
So after we were done, we hit up the Bull Moose music store in my town, and I got an Xbox 360 grab bag for $6, and got these.

0604111257.jpg

0604111257a.jpg

I can't test those games out though since I don't have an Xbox. Have to plan to use my friends. But I guess today was a good day profit wise. :D

Went to a couple sales before it started raining, one advertised games and that they spoiled the kids with way too much stuff and they were selling off everything, Went there to find $15 DS games and $10 PS2 games and not budging on the prices because they belong to the boys and they don't want to sell them for less. The $10 PS2 games were nothing great. Needless to say they didn't sell any games and it was already late on Saturday and a big thunderstorm came by and rained out all the sales.

I was attempting to go to a community sale but rain hit and I was unable to finish.

File this one under "Things you don't expect to find at a senior center flea market." A very enjoyable find:

GwarComics.jpg

Slavepit Funnies featuring Gwar, issues #2-5 - $2.00 for all

Then there's the VHS oldbies and workout DVDs which I bombed on
for your entertainment and warning Paid $2.00 for all this junk:

Shelly McDonald workout DVDs:

Caribbean Workout: Core Pilates
Caribbean Workout: Abs, Buns & Thighs
(I dunno if it's worth trying to list both DVDs under the combo column and waiting until new years?)

Further VHS of trickery:

The African Queen
An Affair to Remember
Citizen Kane (sealed)

I also obtained a Marlon Brando "On the Waterfront" sealed--this might be worth listing for $7-8 bucks and waiting...I dunno.

Alright, so I did have one nice gaming find, it's really too massive to snap pics of... however it involves something like 60 NES games plus a system for $60 bucks. :D Here's a list of the more notable titles:

Baster Master
Castlevania 3
Contra
Final Fantasy
Ducktales (2 copies)
Kid Icarus (first time I've seen this in my area)
Magician (Goes in the collection)
Little Nemo: Dream Master
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Metal Gear
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden w/ manual
Ninja Gaiden 2
Nobunga's Ambition
Punch Out
Silver Surfer
Shadowgate
Snake's Revenge
Strider (not worth much, you'd think I'd be worth more?)
Super Mario Bros w/ Duck Hunt
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Tecmo Super Bowl (has a piece blown out of the cart, damn) :boxing:
Ultima: Quest for Avatar w/ manual
The Legend of Zelda (2 copies)
Zelda 2
TMNT 2

Anyhow, not even counting the dirt commons and assuming that the system is a rock, I'd conservatively say the lot has a $245 value, and geez, I think that even on a very bad day if I had to sell all of this I could double or even triple what I paid for it.

Hey Javan - I think schultz said it in a previous post, but the IM the best way to quickly check a textbooks worth is by looking at the copyright. If its within 2 years, its probably worth more than 2 bucks. 2009/2010/2011 textbooks are the only ones worth buying unless you know your stuff.

Sorry for the long post, but I was pretty damn excited when I got home.

On a different note, I hit the jackpot today(imo). Since the sales around here have been stagnant game-wise, I decided to treck out about 30 minutes to the next town over. Worth it, so much. Apparently there's no one around there to grab the games so they're really cheap(and plentiful)

1001064c.jpg

First stop - small sale with some kids. Dad used to play video games a lot and had a small collection of gamecube games. He said 10 a piece but I bargained him to 5 for the zelda games, which were definitely the "jewels" of the collection.
LoZ: WW - 5
LoZ: CE - 5
LoZ: OoT/MQ - 5

1001063m.jpg

About halfway through my trek, I found a neckbearded guy selling his ps2 collection. Thinking back on it now, I should have bought more. He asked 7 a piece but when I started to back off he said he could do 3 or 4 a piece since he had been hauling his two boxes of games out every weekend for the past month. I cant imagine any of these lasting more than a week at a normal sale around my town. Im kind of mad I didnt just offer 40 for his collection, it was pretty decent.

Disgaea 2 - 3
Okami - 3
Bujingai - 4
Xenosaga II - 4

1001062q.jpg

Nearly at the end of my sales list, I spot a ps1 as I drove buy a house. It didnt look like a garage sale and it was unlisted, but I stopped by to check it out. I got the above for $4 each. For some reason he had 2 Saga Frontier 2 ps1 cases, so Kartia isnt complete, but no biggie. He had a copy of Devil Summoner 1 for ps2 as well, which I didnt get because it was marked $12. Looking online now, I think I may head back tomorrow.

Saga Frontier 2 - 4
Kartia - 4

1001059s.jpg

Although they were expensive(relatively), I think I made out pretty well at my last sale. I had been spending a lot so(I bought non-video related crap as well), so I decided to end on a good note.

Castlevania: SotN GH, no insert - $12
MGS 1 Longbox - $10
MMX7 - $10
Arcana Heart - $10
.hack Mutation - $10
Resident Evil 3 Nemesis -$10 Sealed!

All in all, $100 or so for video games today. Jeeze!
1001064c.jpg

[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']Then I was walking down looking at everyone's stuff, and I see a lady with her son selling about 5 Xbox games. A few of them looked promising, so I asked how much she wanted for each. She says $5 each :O. I say I'll come back and after I finish looking at the other sales I come back and offer 3 for two that look like pretty ok games. She says yes and I hand her $3 to which she says "Oh you meant $3 for both? I thought you meant $3 for each." She starts going on about how she paid $20 each for them when she bought them and I tell her that now they have Xbox 360 so these are outdated anyway to which she decides to accept the $3 for both. Got everything in the pic below for $3:

img0525y.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Omg, the third Dino Crisis was the one that was supposed to have dinosaurs in space. You've got to tell me if it's as bad as the reviews say it was :whee: I dunno about the print run on it, but it could be worth holding onto as an xbox uncommon (maybe it could become the equivalent of Fear Effect 2 for playstation 1, sorta so-so but worth $15 to a crazy person)

Went to the first townwide sale of the year. Had some decent finds overall.

The following item was 25 cents.
sdc10001uz.jpg

Tekken 3 was picked out a PS1 lot with a bunch of crappy sports games. The PS1 itself was extremely grimey, as well as the controllers. For $20, I had to pass. I asked her if she'd sell games individually and she happily said yes. I offered 50 cents for it and it was gladly accepted. No Doubt was found at the same garage sale for 50 cents as well.
sdc10003iv.jpg

The Sienfeld Seasons 1 and 2 was one of my best finds of the whole day. Seasons 1 and 2 for a whole $1. I couldn't pass it up. Discs and cases are in mint condition as well. WWE's Best of Saturday Night Main Event was also $1 and is also in excellent condition.
sdc10004v.jpg

Yes! I finally found Crimson Skies. That was actually the first game I saw all day and I happily snatched it up for $1. X-Men Legends 2 and Dragonball Z Budokai 2 were found at a separate sale for $2 a piece. I offered $3 for them both and it was accepted. I left behind ATV Offroad Fury as well as Dragonball Z Budokai 1 simply because it was pretty dirty. Again, discs are all in excellent condition.
sdc10007l.jpg

One of the last sales I went to today was awesome. I noticed a plastic tub filled with DVDs and various games, marked $1 for each unless otherwise marked. I looked through and ended up picking out the following 9 games. I'm absolutely baffled at this. As I'm looking through each case and checking out the discs, every single disc and manual is in mint condition. Not a single smudge on any of them and the manuals don't have a single crease. I would wager that they have never even been used. Cases are also in great condition, but not as good as the cases and manuals. All the inserts and even the bonus Adema CD that comes with Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance is still in there. $9 for everything.
sdc10008i.jpg
The games are Tekken Tag Tournament, DOA2 Hardcore, Virtua Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, Mechassault, Quake 4 and the blurry one is Tribes: Aerial Assault.

All in all, good day. I also got a storage ottoman for $5.

Man, I haven't found a single game all year T_T Yard sales are 90% baby clothes around here now. At least I got this today:

105_0745.png

Vintage AT-ST, Wampa, and Jabba! Part of a larger $10 lot of old toys (mostly Tootsie Toys, Matchbox, Corgi, and other vehicles) that I can piece out for a fair bit. I collect vintage Star Wars toys so I'm definitely keeping these, though.

Nice finds guys, all i found was Pokemon Leafgreen GBA for $2, btw Potatoeman, that MGS1 you found is not longbox, its from the MGS Essential Collection for PS2. I'm pretty sure originally it only came in a jewel case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back