Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='RabbitSuit']Yeah, I don't think I'm cut out for this. I went at 9am, so at least 2 hours of selling occurred. The game selection wasn't small by anymeans, but it wasn't impressive. And if it was, the prices were outrageous. Specific items were also looked up on a phone when asked.

I just left.[/QUOTE]

Hate when shit like this happens, people who absolutely refuse to negotiate and judge by eBay prices. It's a goddamned yardsale, not an online auction. Not much else you can do but move on to a new sale. Sorry bout your luck man, keep trying, you'll get something eventually and it will be well worth your effort in the end.

As for my own adventures, no game finds from yardsales today - did find a nice wireless mouse for my laptop though ($3) and a netgear ethernet hub ($2). (Did get a Sega Saturn for $5, but I should keep that in the thrift store thread :D)

[quote name='C0dy']Hate when shit like this happens, people who absolutely refuse to negotiate and judge by eBay prices. It's a goddamned yardsale, not an online auction. Not much else you can do but move on to a new sale. Sorry bout your luck man, keep trying, you'll get something eventually and it will be well worth your effort in the end.

As for my own adventures, no game finds from yardsales today - did find a nice wireless mouse for my laptop though ($3) and a netgear ethernet hub ($2). (Did get a Sega Saturn for $5, but I should keep that in the thrift store thread :D)[/QUOTE]

My policy typically is if I see any items with any eBay printout taped to it, I just leave. This goes for garage sales and flea markets.

I don't think I can even count the times I've seen people with an eBay BIN listing printed out with a ridiculous price. They think that a high BIN is a price point indicator, when it's really a pipedream of an ever hopeful seller.

Just last week, at the local flea, I almost got it into a woman over a beat to shit Scene It LCA bundle:360:. She had an ebay listing for $50. I asked her how much she wanted and she said the price on the paper. She went on to say it cost $60 brand new, to which I replied "Yeah, when it first came out 5 years ago. I can buy it from Amazon right now for $20 shipped." (Which is true). She then offered to take $40 :)roll:), I said no thanks and walked away.

yeah I've been probably to atleast a few hundred yard sales this summer, and have only found good stuff in maybe 10% of them, so definitely don't give up, just don't expect to win big in every one.

I have one possibly good sale tomorrow advertising atari and nes with games, so I'm gonna get to that one early. Unfortunately we they advertise stuff like that, sometimes their prices are outrageous.

I rarely find anything remotely decent and it's even rarer to find games, but I've certainly never had to put up with these shady selling tactics (why don't they just look this shit up before the sale?). If I ever do buy anything, people usually just give me a discount because they don't want to make change. Like the estate sale I went to a couple of weeks ago...the woman let me have two of the items for free. Of course, I suppose things are quite different around here. Many people in this area don't have computers or fancy-shmancy phones. I mean, the only place I've ever seen a smartphone in real life is at the store. Heh.

[quote name='C0dy']Hate when shit like this happens, people who absolutely refuse to negotiate and judge by eBay prices. It's a goddamned yardsale, not an online auction. Not much else you can do but move on to a new sale. Sorry bout your luck man, keep trying, you'll get something eventually and it will be well worth your effort in the end.

As for my own adventures, no game finds from yardsales today - did find a nice wireless mouse for my laptop though ($3) and a netgear ethernet hub ($2). (Did get a Sega Saturn for $5, but I should keep that in the thrift store thread :D)[/QUOTE]

Here's a good test if you find a seller that's priced close to market value: Pick out three items that are the most reasonably priced and make a bundle offer on them. Sometimes you can get a good amount of bend that way, and once the ice is broken you can steamboat your way into making purchases at a great rate.

Obviously this isn't going to work with your sour-faced reseller unless they want to get out of the biz, but with many more of the casual sellers you can often "buy in" on the rarities and then get a whole bunch of lesser value items for next to nothing.

Got some decent stuff today

Wheel of Fortune- N64 ($1)
NES Cleaning Kit ($1)
N64 Game Box ($1)
Allied's Name of the Game System ($2)

picture.php

Does anyone know anything about this Name of the Game system? It looks to me like some sort of pong system, but I can't find any info on what it is or how much it's worth :whistle2:k

picture.php

[quote name='jer7583']lol if someone tried looking shit up on their phone before giving me a price I'd just walk away. If i'm going to pay online prices I better have a return policy, have you pay me back for the gas/time I wasted finding your fucking sale, and be able to use my credit/debit card.

Yard sales are a total tossup. Don't give up just cause you don't find gold right away. It's really 99% garbage, 1% awesome finds.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh yes. Today at a church rummage sale some guy was asking 30 bucks for a rained on, dirty, peeling intellivision console. He had the nice printed out ebay ad next to it showing that it was worth a whopping $199! Well that was one with the box, games, and was basically brand new........but whatever :) lol

Another bust week for me. Three sales had video games advertised but they were picked clean when I got to them. One sale that pissed me off was supposed to start at 9 but I got there at 8:40 and the games were already gone. Hopefully I'll find something good next week, but I'm taking a break the week after to go to the grand opening of Lego store Fashion Valley.

I got a metric shit ton of stuff today. I'll get a list and pics up as soon as I can. I'm beat, though. But damn, today was pretty nice.

Okay, here we go.

Today's haul:

N64 - Super Smash Bros
- $1.50
N64 - Mario Kart 64 -
$1.50
N64 - Pokemon Stadium -
$1.50
N64 - Mario Tennis -
$1.50
GCN - Luigi's Mansion (complete)-
$1
GCN - Mario Party 4
(complete)- $1
GCN - Zelda Wind Waker (complete)- $1.50
GCN - Super Monkey Ball (complete)- $1.50
GCN - Super Mario Sunshine (complete)- $1.50
PS2 - Devil May Cry 3 (complete)- $1

White DSLite with charger
- $15

Godly NES bundle- $45
- Pristine NES console with hook-ups.
- standard controllers (x3)
- FACTORY SEALED standard controllers (x2)
- NES Advantage controller
- Orange Zapper
- Gray Zapper
- Vintage Official NES carrying case
- Ninja Gaiden (Complete)
- Yoshi (complete)
- Super Mario Bros 2 (complete)
- Iron Sword 2: Warriors and Wizards (complete)
- Golf (complete)
- Wild Gunman (complete)
- Break Time (complete)
- Side Pocket (complete)
- Wheel of Fortune (complete)
- Hogan's Alley (complete)
- Paperboy (complete)
- Pinball Quest (complete)
- Classic Concentration (complete)
- Monopoly (complete)
- Championship Bowling (complete)
- Pro-AM (complete)
- Vegas Dream (complete)
- Excitebike (cart only)
- Simpsons: Bart vs The World (cart only)
- Super Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt (cart and manual)

[CUSTOMSPOILER=PICTURES]
nesb01.jpg

nesb02.jpg

dsl01.jpg

[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

I'll get pics of the other games up later... I'm tired.

I like those boxed NES games. I would love to have a boxed RC Pro AM. one of my favorite NES games.

[quote name='Eagle3ye']

Does anyone know anything about this Name of the Game system? It looks to me like some sort of pong system, but I can't find any info on what it is or how much it's worth :whistle2:k

picture.php
[/QUOTE]

Nice find on that Name of the Game II. There's a page about it on the pong-story site: http://www.pong-story.com/allieds.htm

This one is supposed to be rarer then the first. I have seen one sell for around $50.

First these are from about 2 weekends ago, from a community yard sale where everyone brings their stuff to the community center and sells from stalls like a flea market (stories, details in spoilers)

Total - $4
Wanted 3 each for them, COD 3 is missing the manual, Burnout Revenge is CIB

Total - $.50
The link cable is NIB, this was sort of a random table of knickknacks and just these two gaming items

Total - $12
I'm a big fan of the one price for the pile bit, kid originally wanted 5 each for the games.
GC games: Zelda TP and SSB melee (both were without boxes but found a bunch of empty gamecube boxes at a later sale for $.25.
Wii game: COD WAW
First party GC controller
Squidwards house aquarium ornament

Star Wars Knights - $1
Force unleashed and canvas curse - $12
When the day first started kid was asking 15 each for these two games, in the morning by 12 he had dropped the prices. Knights was IAP from another booth.

I'm going to post today's finds later, but can anyone give me any info about this guy?
Edit: I suppose the more appropriate question is whether anyone has had any success finding any of his pieces apart from him before, so i know if this is something i should be looking out for in the future?

Total - $.50
was from a parking lot sale, woman was a total hoarder had the biggest size uhaul available just packed with crap and just was piling stuff all over the ground, I looked around but couldn't find anything that looked like it may go with him

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='orcafan8']

Total - $.50
was from a parking lot sale, woman was a total hoarder had the biggest size uhaul available just packed with crap and just was piling stuff all over the ground, I looked around but couldn't find anything that looked like it may go with him
[/QUOTE]

Nice find on R.O.B. Good luck finding any parts though, I haven't even seen one of those in the wild for years. My brother still has his complete tucked away somewhere.... time to pry it from him!

Another day of meh... actually only one good find. I found a creative inspire t7700 7.1 system (missing a speaker :cry:) for $6 today. It may be a bit dated, but I hooked it up and it sounds AMAZING. Just what I needed for my office computer.

All right, I was wrong...I decided to hit up a few sales, since there's nothing better to do on a Saturday.

Average stuff, with a share of rich morons...I'm NOT paying $90 for a Super Nintendo bundle, especially one with a bunch of crap games.

Hit up a flea market, found a few goodies, including a 6-switch Atari (made in Taiwan, not Sunnyvale...still, nice).

The interesting find is in the Spoiler.
monopolyclosed.jpg

By mrrapp at 2011-10-01
monopolyopen.jpg

By mrrapp at 2011-10-01
Paid $3. Seemed pretty interesting, but I didn't know what to make of it until I got home. The research is pretty weak.
Here's what I know. It's an edition of Monopoly from the mid-1930's (1936 is my best guess). It's beaten up, but it's complete. All the property cards, all the player pieces, everything...I've never seen a Monopoly game with wooden houses.
I know it's an amazing find, but I have no clue about its actual value. I know a few of you CAGs are board game experts...could really use your input on this one.

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I never find boards older then '65. *Grumble*

EDIT: Damn. to bad its not a brown box and board. That one is scarce though. WHY CAN'T i BE LUCKY?????

EDIT2: http://monopoly.cdbpdx.com/ go here at about 1/2 down. it seams it is the pre-war version.

That's a black board #6. You're spot-on with the year. It was published sometime in late 1936 or early 1937 (probably the former). By mid-1937, they were no longer printing the "New Edition" version. It's a great find and it's worth a heck of a lot more than what you paid, but it's not necessarily a super valuable. I'd say it's worth right around $60. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to slap it up on eBay...it's pretty much guaranteed to sell, but you probably don't want to do that right now. If you ever do plan on selling it, I suggest waiting until it becomes an antique (25 years from now).

Keep in mind that I'm not an expert, nor do I regularly follow the Monopoly trend. I know it fluctuates a lot in unexpected ways. I have a Monopoly board that was worth $500 just a couple of years ago and now it doesn't seem to go for more than $100 on eBay. Not that it matters much to me, though, 'cause I like having it around. I've even played it many times despite it being a collector's item.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Here's a good test if you find a seller that's priced close to market value: Pick out three items that are the most reasonably priced and make a bundle offer on them. Sometimes you can get a good amount of bend that way, and once the ice is broken you can steamboat your way into making purchases at a great rate.
[/QUOTE]

I want to repeat this post before it gets completely buried.

This is really good advice.

The bundle can do wonders and even if marked prices are high, its worth a try. For instance, if someone has Blurays marked at $8 each, I'll take the 3 that I want (ones that sell for well over $10 each on Amazon) and offer $12 for all. You'd be surprised at how often this works. And once the ice is broken, they might start allowing you to add regular DVDs (which they have marked at say $3) for $1 each.

But even if the seller comes back at $15 for the 3 BRs, I'd try to snap up a few lesser items and get them to throw them in for free.

I also will try to negotiate even when they quote an online price it can be worthwhile to talk--even though my first impulse is to walk away. Last year I saw this nice set of PBS videos about World War I (The Great War) . . . they were sealed and had a sign next that said "Sells for $100 online." I picked it up and said (with the right tone of voice) "this looks neat but $100?" The woman says, "yeah that seems crazy to me too." So, I offered $20 and she said OK. I think she was just using the price quote as a selling point. I sold the set 3 months later for $140.

Some sellers won't negotiate at all but most are just trying to move the stuff out . . . especially as the day moves along.

[quote name='JediKiller24']Nice find on that Name of the Game II. There's a page about it on the pong-story site: http://www.pong-story.com/allieds.htm

This one is supposed to be rarer then the first. I have seen one sell for around $50.[/QUOTE]

Alright thanks man, I'll probably end up selling it because I have no real interest and no place to put it. I guess 2 bucks was a decent price. Even though last year I got my boxed virtual boy for 2 bucks at the same rummage sale..... :lol:

album.php

Not much in my area this weekend, its been incredibly hard to get video games here, every time they are advertised I'm told that someone knocked on the door in the morning before the yard sale was setup.

I did get this at a flea market though for $2

picture.php

Also got some TG-16 games too

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is awesome. I always check in on Monday to gawk at your cheappppyassed finds. From a fan of the thread, I appreciate the stories and the work put in, including the pictures. Thanks.

Got my pictures done, so here's this weekend's finds.

fcb146f75af6e90ec6e673d5f5962daf.jpg

GBC Lot - $15
Neat games. Poke Pinball actually has a battery cover for once. GBC box is just plain cool and the car charger & worm light are a nice bonus.

9ed9fe59435478384b6cce9d55ac2f79.jpg

Crap Wii games $1 each
Blue DS Phat $5
Cheap Wii games of questionable quality.
The DS had no charger and wouldn't turn on so it was a gamble...but it works...kind of. It charged up fine when I got it home, but there's no sound (haven't tried headphones yet though.) Hopefully there's an easy fix.

And now for the big score.

529c9283ceb346924157f64afd25e873.jpg

608711bd7e070c083d843c8f28d284c7.jpg

22 PlayStation games for $40.
So this was an unscheduled stop, and from the car I saw a lot of N64 carts. When I got up the driveway the awesome PS1 games took my attention away. I grabbed the must-have games and asked how much. I was quoted $3 each or $7 for the multi disc games. I asked for a bundle price on the whole bin (22 ps1 games, a black n64 w/ hookups, and about 10 n64 carts) and was hit with "I can't let it go for less than 100". Didn't really make sense to me but I figured most of that was coming from the n64 console...the games for it were ok but nothing special (Mario 64, Yoshi's Story type stuff) so I said, how about just the PSX games. That worked, and the price was $45 or about $2 each. I had $40 left, and it was taken. Nice!

This probably wasn't the best deal I could've gotten here but the woman was kind of being a hardass and the negotiations were already going on for what felt like forever. There's a few stinkers in the bunch but I kept them for the sake of the bundle. Looking these up, FF7 and Suikoden have really taken a hit in terms of value thanks to PSN, and Star Ocean of course had a PSP remake, so this isn't quite the amazing find it would've been in the past. But anyway, I'm excited to add some of these to my collection (and to make most of my money back flipping the ones I already have.)

Most are complete and mint. Some notes:
- FF7 is missing disc 3 :bomb:
- GT2, Monster Rancher 2, and Gauntlet 2 are missing manuals
- Digimon World includes the trading card
- Tomb Raider Chronicles is sealed

Nice to end the season on a high note, though the sales will probably continue a few more weeks.

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Got some decent stuff today

Wheel of Fortune- N64 ($1)
NES Cleaning Kit ($1)
N64 Game Box ($1)
Allied's Name of the Game System ($2)

picture.php

[/QUOTE]

Hey I am very interested in the N64 Game Box especially if it is the 24 game holder PM me if you would like to sell it. (I need something nice to hold my n64 games lol)

[quote name='IkilledLassic']This thread is awesome. I always check in on Monday to gawk at your cheappppyassed finds. From a fan of the thread, I appreciate the stories and the work put in, including the pictures. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

A nice comment like this is going to encourage me to post :)

The number of sales is dwindling but I did manage to find a few things . . . and will post soon.

Sometimes I really wish I knew comics . . . one sale had 2 longboxes but I skipped over them. I would buy older ones but otherwise, I know nothing.

I did get this large-format book for free (or .50 depending on how I figure it).

Slowdive, is this worth anything?

[quote name='schultzed']A nice comment like this is going to encourage me to post :)

The number of sales is dwindling but I did manage to find a few things . . . and will post soon.

Sometimes I really wish I knew comics . . . one sale had 2 longboxes but I skipped over them. I would buy older ones but otherwise, I know nothing.

I did get this large-format book for free (or .50 depending on how I figure it).

Slowdive, is this worth anything?[/QUOTE]

It's worth about $10-$15 on ebay, but it probably books for more depending on condition (I don't have my overstreet ATM, but I think it is around $25 or $30 in VF (8.0/10.0) condition.

I don't have that one yet, it is basically a follow up to the "Superman Vs. Spiderman" crossover. (Which is also a larger sized book that has a Neal Adams cover and is worth $$$).

Nice find! Treasury Editions are usually worth picking up if they are in nice shape and under $5. There are some collectors that only collect the larger sized books.

Next time there is a sale advertising comics we will have a Schultzed/slowdive team up. :)

with all of the sales i went to this year, i think i found one with comics, it was all common late 90's worthless shiny covers or commons that aren't worth anything. Would love to find some older amazing spiderman or x-men(uncanny especially) to add to the collection.

Suddenly I'm reminded of a Dr. Strange Treasury Edition which I traded for some magic beans. I'm guessing it's more difficult to find these in higher grades due to the size?

I've gotten some deals on comics in my time (some of the best being piles for 10 cents each, or better yet, $20 longboxes), but aside from personal use I don't see any easy way of selling them? The last time I talked to a comics guy who set up at a flea market his strategy seemed to be accumulate the commons and sell the rarer stuff at a fraction of what it might price in the guides (i.e. $15 for a $30 item). It seems to me that it's difficult to make money on comics unless you can set up and make some face-to-face sales (which takes time, plus you need space for holding everything that doesn't sell quickly).

I do comics too and its the main reason I go yard sailing (best find ever was I found a 50 cents silver age comics sale and a 6 for a $1 bronze age sale in the same day).

The interesting thing about the Marvel Treasury Edition 28 is that its the last issue of the series. While MTE were not regularly published, last issues in general are harder to find, especially in older series. This is also true with some issue #2s from the mid 90's too now as many series were published and canceled overnight.

Your best bet with that comic is to attempt to sell it when the Superman and Spider Man movies come out next year.

I have to disagree with Slowdrive on the collectability on those oversize comics in general, while there are collectors for them out there its a very small audience. Ebay is the best bet to sell them as I have seen them at Tampa Con and Megacon for as little as a $1 in VF condition. Unless its a key issue or in NM, dont pay more than $3 for one unless your a collector.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Suddenly I'm reminded of a Dr. Strange Treasury Edition which I traded for some magic beans. I'm guessing it's more difficult to find these in higher grades due to the size?

I've gotten some deals on comics in my time (some of the best being piles for 10 cents each, or better yet, $20 longboxes), but aside from personal use I don't see any easy way of selling them? The last time I talked to a comics guy who set up at a flea market his strategy seemed to be accumulate the commons and sell the rarer stuff at a fraction of what it might price in the guides (i.e. $15 for a $30 item). It seems to me that it's difficult to make money on comics unless you can set up and make some face-to-face sales (which takes time, plus you need space for holding everything that doesn't sell quickly).[/QUOTE]

Yeah comics are tricky, they take up a lot of space, but I collect them anyway, so I don't mind holding on to some of them. Usually I can get a $1 a book if I have a garage sale. If I want to blow out a large lot, I list it on ebay and throw in a couple of low grade keys, pseudo keys (things that stand out that aren't really worth anything), or one low grade silver age book.

The comic market definitely is not good. I have 40 plus longboxes that I want to get down to 10 but I dont want to sell less than what I paid. I offer about $25 a longbox, $35 with keys (my competition offers $10 - $20 a box regardless of keys) on craigslist which has contributed to my large collection.

My go to price at yard sales when I buy is 3 for $1 or less otherwise I look for key issues.

[quote name='Otherguy676']
The interesting thing about the Marvel Treasury Edition 28 is that its the last issue of the series. While MTE were not regularly published, last issues in general are harder to find, especially in older series. This is also true with some issue #2s from the mid 90's too now as many series were published and canceled overnight.

Your best bet with that comic is to attempt to sell it when the Superman and Spider Man movies come out next year.

I have to disagree with Slowdrive on the collectability on those oversize comics in general, while there are collectors for them out there its a very small audience. Ebay is the best bet to sell them as I have seen them at Tampa Con and Megacon for as little as a $1 in VF condition. Unless its a key issue or in NM, dont pay more than $3 for one unless your a collector.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your points. I gave the ebay price since that is probably where it will end up to reach the largest audience. I also gave the book value, just as a gauge to see how they differ.

I think we are only off $2 on our pricing threshold. ;) I personally haven't seen any treasury editions for under $2 at any convention in the past 15 years that are VF or better, but I also grade using overstreet standards and most people (even sellers at conventions) tend to grade incorrectly. Of course markets can differ as well.

I was just giving a general rule of thumb for a high grade copy.

I think comic prices also depend on region. I've gotten killer deals at Tampa Con but when Ive been told other smaller conventions, such as Charlotte, are totally different. Demand definitely varies by location which is also why there seems to be so many disagreements on how much something is worth.

Out of curiousity Solwdrive, how much to the prices in Overstreet differ from Comicbookrealm.com?

Interesting comments.

The stuff I do (books, CDs, VGs and DVDs) are all mostly easy to sell. Comics and records seem a lot tougher to unload but they seem to hold possibility. They also lend themselves well to the personal collector/seller. And they demand a lot of knowledge.

I picked up this comic at a very strange sale. There was a lot of junk in this garage and this guy was spinning it out. Mostly it was junk but it was sprinkled with value. I got some games that I will post later (nothing too special) but the guy had this tub of WWII era newspapers. I think I could've gotten them all for a few bucks but there was just enough mildew smell to keep me off it.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I think comic prices also depend on region. I've gotten killer deals at Tampa Con but when Ive been told other smaller conventions, such as Charlotte, are totally different. Demand definitely varies by location which is also why there seems to be so many disagreements on how much something is worth.

Out of curiousity Solwdrive, how much to the prices in Overstreet differ from Comicbookrealm.com?[/QUOTE]

slowdive. :cool:

I can't seem to get the site to work consistently, but it looks like they just copied overstreet's guide and put it in a digital format (since overtreet is not digital yet). Actually some of the verbage is the same, so it is probably the same pricing as one of the recent overstreet releases.

[quote name='schultzed']Interesting comments.

The stuff I do (books, CDs, VGs and DVDs) are all mostly easy to sell. Comics and records seem a lot tougher to unload but they seem to hold possibility. They also lend themselves well to the personal collector/seller. And they demand a lot of knowledge.
[/QUOTE]

agreed!

[quote name='Otherguy676']The comic market definitely is not good. I have 40 plus longboxes that I want to get down to 10 but I dont want to sell less than what I paid. I offer about $25 a longbox, $35 with keys (my competition offers $10 - $20 a box regardless of keys) on craigslist which has contributed to my large collection.

My go to price at yard sales when I buy is 3 for $1 or less otherwise I look for key issues.[/QUOTE]

Dang o_O if I had 40+ longboxes to contend with I'd be thinking about forming complete sets with some of the commons. The last time I browsed ebay for comics it was to snag a complete run of Shatter and X-Men 2099; think I paid around 66 and 80 cents per comic shipped for those. As a buyer it seemed worthwhile for VF/NM grades across the board and to save time otherwise spent on tracking down singles.

Perhaps comics are like manga and anime DVDs in the respect that solid runs are much more lucrative than dealing with singles...

I have several near complete runs (70 - 80% complete), my buying motto has always been series / writers / artists that I collect. If comics are super cheap or in a long box then I add those. Like most people with large long box collections, I have my share of Commons / Crap, however, I've also stayed away from early to mid 90's comics (the comic boom) and have lots of fringe 70's Marvel and DC series.

Full runs do sell, however, the best sellers seem to be golden / silver age books, although condition is an issue on ebay. I think hot recent books (variants and recent key issues) sell the best.

I should actually start selling here on CAG as I can sell cheaper than comic stores and most collectors on online sites.

I keep thinking about trying to sell the comics I don't want here on CAG, but I just don't think mine will sell and I want a fast way to get rid of them aside from simply recycling them. Sometime this week, maybe I'll pull them out of the closet and see if there's anything that anyone wants. I used to have several that were worth $20-$30 several years ago, but I'm pretty sure everything is mostly worthless now.

Speaking of comics I've got a box of marvel and some DC from the mid 1990s, I think its 150 issues? A few rare stuff, most of it isnt worth more then face value. I had them out at a garage sale a few years ago. Someone offered me $60 for everything but I passed

Damn, I'm short on time but here is Sat. (Fri. will be later).

So, there were a bunch of fresh sales in town but I had to go out of town (family stuff).

But I was able to hit 4 sales in NE IL.

One was odd because the sale was in front (parents) but there were signs for the back. In the back, the daughter (40s and pretty much a character out of Big Bang Theory) had her stuff on the family's deck. Right away it was "cool" because I saw videogames, comics, CDs and toys.

I passed on the 2 longboxes (looked like 90s stuff and I didn't have time to sift anyway). The CDs turned up only a few titles worth buying and ultimately the toys didn't pan out (more on this in a sec). So the games were $1 each (boxed ones are complete):

I wonder if she sold any before I got there (but who would pass on the ones I got) . . . I did pass on some boxed sports titles and a few crappier NES titles . . . I only bought the Fester because Slow got one last week (although his was boxed).

The toys were mostly non-profitable but she had 11 Simpsons figures (90s and sealed) but I could see that they were worth only about $10-15 each on Amazon (and slow sellers at that). She wanted $5 each and wouldn't budge. I tried $30 for the bundle up to $40 and just gave up. The funny part was that this kid approached them before me and his Grandmother was willing to buy the Bart for him but she saw me and retreated. I think she felt that I was a collector and it would be best for me to have them. The seller recoiled at the kid's touch of the toys (literally made a face of disgust at me that a kid would even touch it). The grandma and kid vanished as I tried to deal. Anyway, as I left the driveway I could hear the GM saying . . . "now we can go and buy it." Very weird. But I love the idea that the kid would have the nerve to actually PLAY with the toys.

Surprisingly I did buy a few items at every sale (a few CDs here, some good books there). Nothing amazing but it did make up for my severely pinched day.

At another sale, I saw this rough looking PS1 with a bunch of sports games but also a Gameshark case. The case was empty but I checked inside the system and found it! (the GS disc is in great shape)

I don't know why I bought the Alf (maybe for trade). But I got the pair for $1.

[quote name='schultzed']

But I was able to hit 4 sales in NE IL.

[/QUOTE]

Alright where were you? :) I doubt it would be Round Lake Beach, but I always see sales with video games listed. It is too far for me though. I'm guessing you were near Zion.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I keep thinking about trying to sell the comics I don't want here on CAG, but I just don't think mine will sell and I want a fast way to get rid of them aside from simply recycling them. Sometime this week, maybe I'll pull them out of the closet and see if there's anything that anyone wants. I used to have several that were worth $20-$30 several years ago, but I'm pretty sure everything is mostly worthless now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I might list on Nintendoage myself just for kicks, though I share some of your apprehension...whether it would be worth doing for the commons. I've seen a guy here on CAG named Grico who had good prices (between 25 cents and a buck with free shipping on larger orders) and I'm not sure if anyone bought from him other than me. However, I have noticed that in lowballs CAGs will often throw down $1 bids on a bundle of five comics; tack on the usual $3 or $1.50 shipping and you might do okay if multiple bundles are won.

Personally though I think it's a good idea to hone your list even before listing; when I picked up my longboxes on the cheap the first thing I did was take all the Youngbloods / stupid 90s foil-covers / What-if (The Punisher was a transvestite comics) and hauled them over to a local comics shop. Ask them how much they're paying per longbox and if they offer $10 don't go any less than $20. They'll pay $20 :)

Anyhow, once the junk is out of the way it's much easier to create a readable list; in my case I kept all the Swamp Thing and occult-type comics since they seemed niche enough that somebody might want. Another thing I held onto was some post-2000 Catwoman and Birds of Prey; I figure these are $1 each fare since the art is good and hopefully the print runs are smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back