Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

Wow $30 for everything there? Thats really great. I thought you had a good buy when I saw the first picture.. but everything in the second pic too? Curious, did he come up with that $30 price?

Hell, Id of been happy to get the 3 pokemon games for $30

And $35 for that bundle is really nice too. Congrats guys.

Still doesn't seem like there's much in the paper again this week. I'll most likely check out a few tomorrow morning, but it'd be nice if it picked up soon.

[quote name='ChicagoCubz']Still doesn't seem like there's much in the paper again this week. I'll most likely check out a few tomorrow morning, but it'd be nice if it picked up soon.[/QUOTE]
I primarily check CL, as well as pennysaver. Rarely see an ad for friday with games advertised. Actually never have. Most people post for a saturday yard sale on friday it seems.

Went to a sale advertising games this morning. Had some stuff for a good price, but it was junk or super commons. Had some stuff over priced, still junk. The one thing I wanted, the N64 system, was already gone even though I showed up 30 minutes early...

I did hit another sale on the way home that I just happened to pass and found:

Donkey Kong Classics
Klax
Tetris

All for NES. Did 3/10. Overpaid on Tetris but I wanted Donkey Kong and they wanted 5.00 a piece. I figured the other 2 are worth 5.00 combined, I'd pay that much for shipping online.

[quote name='donut']Out late today but happened upon sign pointing to a 10 am sale...

$20

PS2 slim
DS lite with case/4 games[/QUOTE]

Nice find!

I'm jealous of you people who can go out on Fridays for sales haha.

I got some stuff last week including a go video VCR for $3 (if you don't know look it up) which I really wanted and a disc only new super mario bros. wii for like 50 cents or something I hate the game so now I have to figure out how to maximize my profit on it.

Also saw yet another sale that looked like the sale of a former ebay seller since it had a lot of sellable items and some ebay books, they had a ton of reallky cheap fisher price stuff but most of it was beyond destroyed condition wise, but they were selling really cheap most things under $1, and would be large and awkward to ship, last time I checked most of it is hardly worth anything on ebay anyways especially in extremely poor condition and there are no more children in my family to use it. Might have been a killer haul for someone who wanted it though. I did pick up a FP karaoke player for 50 cents that will probably clean up and 2 vintage handheld's from the 70's for $1 each.

I got to this sale that advertised video games that was in its second day. My find of the year or at least so far.

I asked about the video games advertised. The friend said she had them at her house in the next suburb over. Said she didn't mind getting them if I would wait. Glad I waited. She asked $10 for everything in the box. I gave her $12 for her going out of her way to get this. I still robbed them. :cool:

At another sale all for $0.25

The ladybug has an Xbox logo on it (?)

and some manga all for $2

As others have said on this site I need to study up on my Legos. I passed up on a box of underwater Legos I think I had as a kid for $5.

WOW today was my best day so far this year! Lots of cool stuff for extremely low prices.

$10- Sylvania 20 inch HDTV. No HDMI sadly.
15ch7iw.jpg

Star Trek stuff. The bigger box is a limited edition collectors set. Both are NIB. $5 total.
k3vfxd.jpg

SNES system and controller, PS2 fat- FREE. The owner wasn't sure if either work. I will test them soon.
Super Mario All Stars, Mortal Kombat 1,2,3 for SNES- $8
JBL Creature 2 speaker set- $10. Amazing speakers o_0
2 receivers- a really nice Yamaha 6.1 receiver was $15, and a very old Kenwood 5.1 receiver for $10.
Power Pad for the NES- $2
Lego Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark Temple Escape (7623)- $20
Lego Bionicle #8998 Limted Edition Toa Mata Nui- $3
Some Knex roller coaster( forgot the name )- $3
A Lego Ninjago set- $2
11u7r7d.jpg

And EASILY my favorite buy so far this year- An Apple IIe computer with a floppy drive and monitor, Flight Simulator II, and Work Perfect. FIVE ****ING DOLLARS!!! No sure if the floppy drive works, can't seem to get either program to work. I'll have to take it apart and hopefully find the issue.
11junaf.jpg

[quote name='kermit036']I got to this sale that advertised video games that was in its second day. My find of the year or at least so far.

I asked about the video games advertised. The friend said she had them at her house in the next suburb over. Said she didn't mind getting them if I would wait. Glad I waited. She asked $10 for everything in the box. I gave her $12 for her going out of her way to get this. I still robbed them. :cool:

As others have said on this site I need to study up on my Legos. I passed up on a box of underwater Legos I think I had as a kid for $5.[/QUOTE]
I believe that the lady bug thing was from when the 360 came out from cereal boxes you could get things like that.

[quote name='kermit036']I got to this sale that advertised video games that was in its second day. My find of the year or at least so far.

As others have said on this site I need to study up on my Legos. I passed up on a box of underwater Legos I think I had as a kid for $5.[/QUOTE]

I'd pop a boner right there in the middle of the yard sale if I saw a NES package like that for $12. Nice find!

[quote name='vantheman']I believe that the lady bug thing was from when the 360 came out from cereal boxes you could get things like that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they were just crappy little LCD games (6 total) that came in boxes of Apple Jacks. From what I've heard, they usually didn't work.

Nice job on that NES haul.

I didn't find anything worth buying gaming related this morning, but I did pick up Don Quixote and To Kill a Mockingbird to add to my ever growing to-read shelf.

Man, another crappy Saturday for me. Literally didn't even see anything game-related, and I couldn't even find a set of speakers for my dorm room after seeing a crapload of sets last week.

Today was religious crap day. So much damn religious junk.
Did find me a Invidia Geforce 5500 OC for $3 - EDIT: just checked box is for a fx5500 but it's a different card inside - fuck me
Also found xenogears scratched real bad both sides, don't think it works. - $1

Hit a neighborhood sale nearby in a decent/mixed middle class to upper middle class area called Longwoods Highlands, no game comic or toy scores except for some legos but I got a couple grand worth of books, records, DVDs, CDs, sealed board games etc. for under $40 total.

Mostly in books to resell on amazon with a focus on kid's books and coffee table type hardcovers all in new/unread condition. Just giving the stuff away it was awesome. Of course there were also some pro type flea market resellers, the kind who sell shitty reproduction antiques/furniture for way too much at the rose bowl etc.

They even had a bunch of the gourmet food trucks at the event.

Example of the scores was one guy I got about 20 hardcover 1st edition art books and coffee table books for $5, and about 20 kids hardcovers good ones plus 8 DVDs including sealed plus a bag of Legos with the space shuttle set for another $5. Edit just re built the shuttle using online instructions and it's complete, starting to sort the two boxes there's a mix of city star wars castle and some other stuff so far...

Another place got 2 big oxes full of Legos (about 15 pounds) including instructions plus a bunch of kids books for $12

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TiKi2']Today was religious crap day. So much damn religious junk.
Did find me a Invidia Geforce 5500 OC for $3 - EDIT: just checked box is for a fx5500 but it's a different card inside - fuck me
Also found xenogears scratched real bad both sides, don't think it works. - $1[/QUOTE]

Did the Xenogears have the case? If it doesn't work, I'll buy the case off you, i need it for my copy so it'll be complete.

[quote name='slowdive21']Saw a ton of nice cart only n64 games. How much each? $10-$40 depending on the game.[/QUOTE]

Someone used eBay...

On my CL someone posted an "ad" posting a link for a website that would show the values of games based on an average from Amazon/eBay/internet...

Had an awesome find. Pictures tomorrow likely.

I saw a bunch of sales by my work yesterday but had no time to stop, I was running late. Due to this, I decided to leave early for work today and hit them. Ya, I don't work until like 2:15 but you never know. About 1:15 I left, only a 20 minute drive to work so that left my 40 minutes. Well, just as I got to the area it started POURING. Everyone was closing up. I stopped for a drink and when I got out though, 20 minutes before I had to work, I stopped raining. I only had time for one sale which I had seen closing 20 minutes earlier as I drove past. Stopped and saw only one game (I asked, all they had) but what a game. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. FACTORY SEALED. I asked how much and they said $5.00. I offered $3.00 and they took it. There is a small tear in one corner, but I figure I should be able to get $50.00 easy for it, or trade it for something else. I would love to play this game, I may actually do so... but I dunno, opening this when I can get a fair amount for it would be tough.

[quote name='tuffguycore']Did the Xenogears have the case? If it doesn't work, I'll buy the case off you, i need it for my copy so it'll be complete.[/QUOTE]

Disc only.

[quote name='Bing147']Had an awesome find. Pictures tomorrow likely.

I saw a bunch of sales by my work yesterday but had no time to stop, I was running late. Due to this, I decided to leave early for work today and hit them. Ya, I don't work until like 2:15 but you never know. About 1:15 I left, only a 20 minute drive to work so that left my 40 minutes. Well, just as I got to the area it started POURING. Everyone was closing up. I stopped for a drink and when I got out though, 20 minutes before I had to work, I stopped raining. I only had time for one sale which I had seen closing 20 minutes earlier as I drove past. Stopped and saw only one game (I asked, all they had) but what a game. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. FACTORY SEALED. I asked how much and they said $5.00. I offered $3.00 and they took it. There is a small tear in one corner, but I figure I should be able to get $50.00 easy for it, or trade it for something else. I would love to play this game, I may actually do so... but I dunno, opening this when I can get a fair amount for it would be tough.[/QUOTE]

I'd just sell it and then buy a used copy for myself to play, it's what I do whenever I find a sealed game.

Drawn to Life Spongebob DS
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter PS2
NBA Ballers Phenom PS2

$2 for all. Only wanted Spongebob because my nephew loves that shit.

The sales have been brutally awful for about a month now but I finally picked up some stuff today.

ae2tk4.jpg

:gc: Luigi's Mansion, :xbox: Hitman Contracts, :xbox: JSRF/Sega GT Combo, :ps2: Onimusha 2, GB Pokemon Red & Pokemon Blue - $.50 each
:ps3: LBP GOTY Edition $3
:360: Armored Core 4 $5
:dvd: Aladdin Platinum Ed. $2.

29leix5.jpg

:gc: Platinum Wavebird w/ receiver - $3
:360: Wired Controller - $3
:wii: Classic Controller Pro - $3
SNES Console w/ controller, PageMaster, Lion King, SMW+SMAS, ACME Animation Factory - $6

Not a bad day overall, but at the sale where I got LBP a guy who had gotten there before me was buying a handful of at least 7-8 PS3 games AND a Kinect, and he got them for like $20. If I had been there a minute sooner...sigh.

I don't know how to put today in to words. I spent 8 hours and went to a little over 100 yard sales, across 15 towns/cities. The morning was pretty brutal, so I probably overpaid a little for that stuff. I went to one sale that advertised "tons of video games and systems" and they had 1 UMD movie, they were going to sell the PSP with it but the son changed his mind. They insisted a UMD was a combination game and movie. Anyways, we got some rain showers out of nowhere which led to what may be my best score of the summer but I'm withholding that picture til last. These are the gaming items I found:

Untitled.jpg

Final Fantasy XIs were from the first sale in the morning, I think I paid $5 for both. Then I found Rogue Galaxy for $4 about 5 sales later. The 3 PS3 games are what I likely paid too much for because it was $40 for all 3 which was only like $25 off Gamestop prices, but I was getting desperate at that point.

Then I decided to go to a more little more affluent of an area where I found these:
DSCF1403.jpg

And I got him down to $60 for everything, the N64 is missing it's power brick and only has coax cable but does have the Expansion Pak, the OG Xbox is missing its power cord and the breakaway part of the controller.

So then after going to a lot of sales and completely striking out I had one more on the way home that advertised "Playstation Games" that their son left behind when moving to college. They weren't high on my priority list because I figured they'd be PS1 sports titles or something if a gamer left them behind. So I got there and there were no Playstation games to be found, so I ended up asking. Apparently it rained pretty hard while they were setting up, and worried about more rain they were only selling the stuff that was already wet. The mother ran into her house to grab the box and brought it to me:
DSCF1402.jpg

She said "These must be pretty bad games if my son left these behind because he took pretty much everything, so I just priced them a quarter a CD"

I did end up giving her $5 because I only had $3 left in $1's and I have to have some kind of a conscience, right?

Just like Friday I got some amazing deals again! Today it was mostly video games instead of toys and other random things.

$15 for the entire NES bundle. FOURTY ONE GAMES!!! Four controllers, and some accessories like a NES cleaning kit, 2 guns, and a Camerica Freedom Connection.
2n05y13.jpg

$15 for this PS2 bundle. PS2 slim silver and 22 games. Mostly sports games sadly. Also game with a Rock Band receiver, which goes for $20-$25 on eBay so I'll probably sell that.
2ppbtom.jpg

$10 for this Atari 5200 with 18 games, 2 official controllers, and 2 3rd party controllers. Wow this thing is ugly!
n2hmd4.jpg

Windows Operating System 3.1 and IBM Storyboard Plus for $4. Both are BRAND NEW! Hopefully I can make quite a bit of money off of 3.1 if I sell it on eBay.
24qofw3.jpg

Also I got a iPod Nano 8GB, 4th gen for $40. I don't really like it. Luckily a friend is going to trade his 7th gen iPod Classic for it plus I'm giving him $40. So i'm pretty much getting the iPod 7th gen classic for $80.

What am I doing wrong :( I went out the past 3 saturdays and today and found nothing. The only gaming related thing some kid had was a Game Gear with 4 games with it (NBA Jam, Sonic and some other crap) but the back part to cover the batteries was missing as well as the cords. I wasn't sure if it was even worth buying. Kid was asking for like $35 so I passed.

How do you guys find these places? I'm jealous :( I'm in NJ too, which usually has a ton of sales around me. I hit up around 20 today.

[quote name='RenoTurk11']What am I doing wrong :( I went out the past 3 saturdays and today and found nothing. The only gaming related thing some kid had was a Game Gear with 4 games with it (NBA Jam, Sonic and some other crap) but the back part to cover the batteries was missing as well as the cords. I wasn't sure if it was even worth buying. Kid was asking for like $35 so I passed.

How do you guys find these places? I'm jealous :( I'm in NJ too, which usually has a ton of sales around me. I hit up around 20 today.[/QUOTE]

Most of my best deals have been in middle class to lower class neighborhoods.

Not only am I completely jealous, but I may just be done for the season. Already at a disadvantage because I can't go out on Friday, the heat here has just been brutal. No one's advertising games and I haven't had a free Saturday in almost a month. And anything game-related has either been shit, overpriced, or in most cases, both. It's all just frustrating.

[quote name='RenoTurk11']What am I doing wrong :( I went out the past 3 saturdays and today and found nothing. The only gaming related thing some kid had was a Game Gear with 4 games with it (NBA Jam, Sonic and some other crap) but the back part to cover the batteries was missing as well as the cords. I wasn't sure if it was even worth buying. Kid was asking for like $35 so I passed.

How do you guys find these places? I'm jealous :( I'm in NJ too, which usually has a ton of sales around me. I hit up around 20 today.[/QUOTE]

Get lost. And I don't mean that in a mean-get-out-of-here way. I mean I literally write a list of Craigslist posts for yard sales within a certain area, arrange them to go in sequence to avoid back tracking and I don't use a GPS I just go down random streets following yard sale signs and stop at every single one. Ask the people at the yard sale (customers and the people holding it) if they know of other yard sales in the area, or how to get to the address of the next sale on your list. Sometimes they'll send you to an unadvertised sale (people do these, no CL, Newspaper or even street signs) or just route you down back roads to your next destination where you're more likely to see sales.

Also be nice. A lot of people don't do this, they'll talk crap about how bad/dirty/overpriced stuff is where the owners can hear. Complement them, tell them you're impressed because it must have been hard work, say they have nice stuff, etc. This will get you a long way with getting things not already out, or money off something. ASK. Almost none of the things I bought today were displayed out for sale. Some of my best finds have been asking if they had things and maybe it was in the kid's room and not the garage so it didn't make its way out. The only time to rush from sale to sale is 7am when all the dealers are out.

Also, just venting but I talked a seller down to $15 on an old pre-HDMI flat screen for my little sister which is honestly probably what it was worth. As I'm handing over the money someone comes over steps in front of my outstretched hand with money in it so they're between the seller and I and says "I'll give you $18 for it", and hands them the money while their wife grabbed the TV and ran to their van with it. That's just plain shitty.

Haven't been to a yard sale in a month. Car trouble the last two weeks, Comic Con this week, and working morning next week.

Nice finds though peeps.

[quote name='TheHeef']Not only am I completely jealous, but I may just be done for the season. Already at a disadvantage because I can't go out on Friday, the heat here has just been brutal. No one's advertising games and I haven't had a free Saturday in almost a month. And anything game-related has either been shit, overpriced, or in most cases, both. It's all just frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Same way for me I stopped going for a couple of weeks do to frustration with the over pricing and bad condition. It really drives my crazy when someone pulls out a dusty, dirty NES and asks for $100 "because I seen them on eBay". I went out today and I was one of four people an hour early to look at an N64 listed in an ad. This older lady came out and said $70, way more than any of us wanted to pay for a dirty system with 10 hockey games. Between the crazy competition and the prices I almost always leave disappointed because the prices are to high or even worse I just overpaid because I wanted to buy something.

Those hockey games were probably pretty awesome!

Jagr during his prime, possibly the last appearance of Gretzky on a game....

I love hockey but wouldn't give 2 cents for those N64 era pieces of crap.

This week takes the cake, I saw a house selling VHS tapes for TEN DOLLARS EACH! They were disney, but as far as I know nothing special. They also had a ton of other overpriced stuff, like obviously beat up toys for $20 each. I don't think anyone is going to pay that much for that stuff around here!

But... I did find these:

The games were $5 each and the Blu Ray's $3 each

Here is a picture of the Go Video VCR I got last week its the large one on the bottom of the stack:

I had a decent day.

First Sale:
gspu71401.jpg

$20 for all pictured:
Dreamcast Console w/ 4 controllers, 2 VMUs and Web Browser
NFL 2K
NFL Blitz 2000
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
NBA 2k
Speed Devils
Trick Style
Super Famicom games DBZ Super Butoden 2 and 3
SNES Super Metroid

gspu71402.jpg

$1 for all pictured:
Sony PSP - 1001 (No charger, gotta see if it works, was told that it does.)
Carrying Case
Patapon
Ghost Recon 2
Spider Man 3 Movie

[quote name='SaraAB']This week takes the cake, I saw a house selling VHS tapes for TEN DOLLARS EACH! They were disney, but as far as I know nothing special. They also had a ton of other overpriced stuff, like obviously beat up toys for $20 each. I don't think anyone is going to pay that much for that stuff around here!

But... I did find these:

The games were $5 each and the Blu Ray's $3 each

Here is a picture of the Go Video VCR I got last week its the large one on the bottom of the stack:

[/QUOTE]

I just bought that VCR 2 weeks ago. It's worth A LOT of money on eBay strangely. I have mine on there right now.

In 20 years of garage saling, I have never seen a Famicom game in the wild. We must not have enough Asians in the midwest. :lol:

That probably sounds racist, but I don't remember Famicom games ever being sold at retail in the midwest and I would imagine they were imported on the coasts.

It seriously surprises me when people sell psp's and DS's for under $5. Let alone $1 with games and a carrying case. Despite everyones great finds this week it looks like, I like youres best August.

Edit: Pictures are funner. Ill get some posted soon.

I was as surprised as you guys, lol. Those Japanese games did NOT match up with the rest of the items there. I know I was the first there too, it was in my neighborhood. She had a beat to shit SNES and a few more SNES games, but I didn't bother with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a famicom game in 12-13 years of yard sailing. I don't think I have seen any game of Japanese origin either. Other things I have never seen are a Vectrex, numerous other fairly uncommon game systems like atari jaguar etc... and a beta tape player. My family just asked me today if I have ever seen a beta tape player and I have not. I am guessing I have not seen one because perhaps they broke quickly, or they were expensive and not many people in my area bought them in the first place. If people didn't buy it in the first place then it would be impossible to find it second hand.

I have seen beta tapes, but actually, only one time at an actual yard sale. I have seen them a few times at thrifts though.

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']I just bought that VCR 2 weeks ago. It's worth A LOT of money on eBay strangely. I have mine on there right now.[/QUOTE]

I paid 3$ for the Go Video, it does not have a remote however, but I do have the manuals, and lets face it, the price was REALLY cheap. I checked on ebay, and it doesn't seem to be worth a lot of money.. about $30... but maybe I just didn't look at the right listings. I just tested it quickly and it seems to work perfectly.

This is also the first go video I have seen in the wild. I almost crapped when I saw it, as I have wanted one since they came out. These things were $200-300 when they came out, some models cost even more. I looked at the manual and you can do a lot with it, including video editing. I will be using it to copy all of my grandma's old home movies, I won't have to worry about them deteroriating if we have multiple copies.

[quote name='Artrigis']It seriously surprises me when people sell psp's and DS's for under $5. Let alone $1 with games and a carrying case. Despite everyones great finds this week it looks like, I like youres best August.

Edit: Pictures are funner. Ill get some posted soon.[/QUOTE]

No joke because I want a PSP pretty badly and would gladly pay $5 for one, especially if it had a memory stick and games.

That's treasure hunting though, sometimes you find gold, sometimes you find shit.

[quote name='SaraAB']
I have seen beta tapes, but actually, only one time at an actual yard sale. I have seen them a few times at thrifts though.[/QUOTE]

I'm still kicking myself. I saw a sealed E.T. Betamax tape for $1 and I left it about 7-8 years ago.

[quote name='TiKi2']I'd just sell it and then buy a used copy for myself to play, it's what I do whenever I find a sealed game.[/QUOTE]
I'd open that shit. There's just something fun about opening a new old game.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have never seen a famicom game in 12-13 years of yard sailing. I don't think I have seen any game of Japanese origin either. Other things I have never seen are a Vectrex, numerous other fairly uncommon game systems like atari jaguar etc... and a beta tape player. My family just asked me today if I have ever seen a beta tape player and I have not. I am guessing I have not seen one because perhaps they broke quickly, or they were expensive and not many people in my area bought them in the first place. If people didn't buy it in the first place then it would be impossible to find it second hand.

I have seen beta tapes, but actually, only one time at an actual yard sale. I have seen them a few times at thrifts though.[/QUOTE]
I see beta max all the time. Where I was living before getting married, we only had two thrift stores (in a 50+ mile radius) and one of them always had beta players and shelves full of tapes. Most of them are probably still there. And there's a newer store near my house that had a couple of players, but they were at least $20. This place could have a turd in a bag and they'd still charge an assload of money for it.

Heres my haul this weekend. Not as impressive as my last few but I'm still really happy. Especially because my brother went with me and got an awesome deal on some speakers. Klipsch SP 1 pair for $30, They should resell for about $150 pretty easy, maybe more. He also got Generation Kill DVD for $1

But, on to the video games!

I overpaid on this one. $10, missing power source.. I just wanted to start buying these old consoles and first one I've seen. Games are: Rush'n Attack, metroid, Elevator Action, legacy of wizard, Kung Fu.

Got these all for $10 They accepted immediately, I need to remember to ask what they want for em before I offer.

Found the 360 games at a community sale. Asked for older games, brought out these. They were $1 each. People started crowding around me after I had them in hand and they all heard $1. Fatal Frame was $2, and Budokai was $3

And a board game. Actually its new. Most of pieces are still sealed, only dice bag is opened.

So I made out alright, but really CL finds outperformed yard sales for me this week.

So, I had an amazing haul yesterday, but I already sold most of it. But the best stuff I still have, so I'll have pictures of them soon.

I don't think $10 for that NES is all that bad, I have definitely seen worse lots go for a lot more than that, if I needed it I would pay $10 and source a power supply later on.

[quote name='SaraAB']I paid 3$ for the Go Video, it does not have a remote however, but I do have the manuals, and lets face it, the price was REALLY cheap. I checked on ebay, and it doesn't seem to be worth a lot of money.. about $30... but maybe I just didn't look at the right listings. I just tested it quickly and it seems to work perfectly.

This is also the first go video I have seen in the wild. I almost crapped when I saw it, as I have wanted one since they came out. These things were $200-300 when they came out, some models cost even more. I looked at the manual and you can do a lot with it, including video editing. I will be using it to copy all of my grandma's old home movies, I won't have to worry about them deteroriating if we have multiple copies.[/QUOTE]

You could get more than 30 even without the remote. Mine came with the remote and manual and i'm asking $80. It actually sold last week but the buyer realized it's the wrong VCR he was looking for so I reposted it.

bread's done
Back