Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='AugustAPC']Can anyone tell me if there's anything I should know about my Skylander's starter pack? I got one used at a garage sale and to my knowledge, it has everything in it. The figures, portal and game are all there. I have like absolutely no clue about this game, is there anything I should know about it before selling it? Any issues with selling used figures?[/QUOTE]

I think you're fine with selling it. The figures are sold second hand at Gamestop, so should not be an issue.

Okay, time to post my finds from this weekend in the spirit of flipping and evil:bouncy:

- 1 Official Gamecube Controller
- Parasite Eve ps1, missing manual
- Parasite Eve ps1, missing manual (beat discs)
- Super Smash Brothers melee (Complete)
- .hack Infection (Complete)
- Ico ps2 (Complete)
- Space Channel 5: Special Edition ps2 (Complete)
- Kingdom Hearts ps2 (Complete, but beat to hell)
- Excel Saga Complete Series (Anime Legends)
- Sailor Moon: Songs from the Hit TV Series CD

all for $18. I pretty much had to camp a single sale that advertised "video games and anime" since the competition usually hits these hard; but for whatever reason the cold weather kept the early birds away. I can tell you right off, having first pick the finds were okay but not jaw-dropping (for example there were more anime CDs which couldn't be found, the Final Fantasy 7 was sold to a friend...I know some of you imagine all the triple-A titles get snagged up, but I'm of the mind that many people don't have them to begin with ;) )--also the other DVDs I bought turned out to be casualties, one dud and two Chinese bootlegs.

All in all though, I was pleased with the operation; there were no other worthy sales on that day so I didn't waste gas, all I had to do was head down the street a bit and do jumping jacks in the twilight.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I got laughed at this weekend for offering 20.00 on a 25.00 Slim PS2 system.

Seriously.

But I did get one of my best finds of the entire season, I'll post pics soon.[/QUOTE]

Slims are tough, I got turned down for one in box I would've done $20-25 for. People are all like omg dollarz when I'm perfectly happy with my $10 PS2 fat Backup System. That's right, I'm the guy with two PS2 systems already :roll:

Here's my best find of the year. Church yard sale, these were donated. Sadly games were not. 10.00 for the lot.

What's amazing is that 98% of this is GOOD stuff. Barely anything is "throwaway".

Damn, if the games had been there it would've been incredible. :drool:

No games for me this week. I did, however, pick up this turntable which I am loving.

9e68940ba64449901996112f18db7ccd.jpg

It's a Realistic Lab-400 which was made in 1978 for RadioShack. I looked it up on ebay and they've sold from $45 - $175, but it does weigh a whopping 15 pounds. Doesn't matter though 'cause I'm definitely keeping it.

[quote name='TiKi2']Just leave the thread then noob. Whinery has been going on in the yard sale thread for years............years.

I think this percy kid is just pissed at the deals you guys find. Envious...[/QUOTE]

yup.

you should pull that piece of sand out of your vagina. it seems to be irritating you.

[quote name='Percy Harvin']yup.

you should pull that piece of sand out of your vagina. it seems to be irritating you.[/QUOTE]

obviously, because he was the one that started complaining about everyone else in the thread

[quote name='Eagle3ye']I offered him a low $20 (all I actually had on me) "NO" obviously..then countered with 40

$70 bucks if I wasnt hard up for cash and I knew it worked, I would have bought it.

Also, I realize it's his right to ask whatever he wants for them. I know I wasn't entitled to these things and that he didn't have to sell them to me. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Percy Harvin']Man, you guys expect handouts. It's kind of sad.[/QUOTE]

Have you been reading for a long time, or is your literacy a recent development?

Wow I really started something with my rant XD I appreciate everyone either backing me up or offering their 2 cents and opinion on the matter. Oh and to those who think we're all "whining". Come on its the Internet....a raging fury online probably means we're slightly cheesed off in reality XD
Have a good one guys, hopefully you'll have better luck than me :) MAY YOU ALL FIND RESONABLY PRICED VECTREXES!! :D

And damn those manuals up there are nice....now you just need to find a way of storing them where they can't get ruined :/

[quote name='Eagle3ye']
And damn those manuals up there are nice....now you just need to find a way of storing them where they can't get ruined :/[/QUOTE]

I'm going to store them in individually packaged mailers to new homes via eBay.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I'm going to store them in individually packaged mailers to new homes via eBay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'd say thats the best thing to do XD The chances of you ever finding ALL those games is really unlikely haha. Hopefully you'll make someone looking for a manual to make a CIB game very happy ;) Great find!

went to test out the ps1 i got to make sure all the games work

have 2 halves of power the non brick part >.> they had another console (xbox i believe) I wonder if someone got 2 bricks ?

[quote name='crows in black']Maybe Percy should make his own forum and he can call it "expensive ass gamer"[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Don't know about you guys but games are getting harder to come by especially the retro games. SNES my fav console, findings are very slim . I run into snes stuff like maybe 2-3 times a yr.

Been raining almost every single weekend here. But the yard sale season where I am at peaks early December, so still got a ways to go.

You aren't alone on the retro stuff... I find more of it at thrift stores than garage sales... this year I saw stuff for retro consoles rarely. I'm thinking back trying to remember... I know I saw NES games at least 7 times. I saw SNES games only three times (and only once did they have more than 2 games or any thing decent), I saw Genesis stuff probably 6 times and N64 about the same. I saw Game Boy frequently, and I saw Playstation all the freaking time of course. Saw Atari a fair amount too actually, more than SNES at least.

[quote name='RenoTurk11']The "Ebay Garage Sales" drive me insane. Yard sale usually equals "Cheap" and "Want to get rid of it".[/QUOTE]

Visited a yard sale this weekend where it seemed the dad was selling his stuff and the mom/son were selling there stuff separately. The dad was selling it all relatively cheap and moving out a LOT while the mom/son were just sitting down, and as people brought stuff to them and asked prices, they wouldn't even have a clue what to ask. They'd go "Ummm, I dunno, I have no idea, ummm..." and this went on for a sold minute no matter what they brought them, and they'd throw out a huge number and people would walk away.

I asked about a box w/ 2 loose old modems in it, received 2 prices from them (25.00 first, then 15.00), which both were way too much. Then I asked about an external battery backup for a computer. The kid asked me what it was, because he had no idea, and then proceeded to say "I'll look it up and see what it's worth and give you a discount". I declined and left, but not before offering 5.00 and getting scoffed at, despite the fact that HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT WAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crows in black']Maybe Percy should make his own forum and he can call it "expensive ass gamer"[/QUOTE]

I was born 1989.

Bought a NES top loader with 12 games and the original controller, and a Jungle Green Nintendo 64 with the red expansion pack, 11 games, original controller, and the ice blue controller. Total was $85. I will post pics soon.

Managed to get to one today. Only saw a few older PC games I wasn't interested in.

Did however snag a Dell CD with Word 2002 on it (the key was on the back) and some other stuff (Works, some other stuff) from circa 2006. Plus it only set me back a cool 50 cents.

Scored a 97% complete LEGO Hydro Search Sub #6180 for $4.50. It's missing some of the mini-figs, but whatever.

I went for 4/4 for video games at yard sales today, definitely my best finds all year.

First stop, advertised sales with 'games' in the description:
Picked up everything for $20.. NES came with 2 controllers, zapper, and 3 games (punch-out, golf game, super mario bro/duck hunt/). PS1 came with like 2 controlelrs and 10 games, nothing really rare
e3j1i.jpg

Second stop, unadvertised sale.. They had no games, but I asked and they said they had some older games. Lady took me downstairs into the basement, and there was a whole box of SNES/N64/GAMECUBE/PS1/XBOX games. She was hesitant to sell them because it was her son's (which he wasn't home) so she said anything disc related is off limits. So I picked up everything else!! Paid $25 for everything!! Super stoked to find a mini SNES.. Notable games include donkey kong, super mario world , super mario allstars (SNES), super smash bros, kirby 64, yoshi's story, mario party (really beat up-but still works), mario golf. SNES came with 2 controllers, N64 came with 2 controllers + rumble packs.. And the best part is.. EVERYTHING WORKS!!
zvcy9s.jpg

Third stop, this guy had a Dreamcast+12 games for $50 and wouldn't go lower but I picked up these xbox/ps1 games for $3 each
2505g6u.jpg

Fourth stop, didn't really have much but picked these up $4 total
313652c.jpg

Extremely happy with todays finds

Today was eh. The threat of rain probably scared off a lot of sales today but there were a few. All I got today was a Trutech (Target) LCD TV with a built in DVD Player. Lady wanted $50, said she paid $300 but I talker her down to $20. I later saw some :ps2: games, Jak 3, Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle, and Samurai Warriors. She let me get the TV and games for $20. Some guy bought a :ps3: DC Universe Online disc :D but luckily only for $1.

Another sale advertised a Genesis but I missed out and just some shovelware left behind. One sale had some DVD/Blu Rays and some PS2 games but another guy beat me to the good stuff, just sports games left behind. Also saw my rival but I haven't been going to yard sales recently so I didn't really care.

I've been given the dreaded Saturday morning shift at my work, so haven't been yard saling in a while. Today, though, I passed by a neighbor's yard sale on the way to work and ran over (forgetting my wallet in the car, btw). I skimmed the goods for a minute and quickly spotted a CD case with some CDs and some games in it, and picked up a copy of Gameshark 2 V2 for Playstation 2, having vaguely remembered it holding a value from fellow CAGs finding it in the past. It's disc only and a bit scratched, but she gave it to me for free so I'm happy. Just another instance where I wouldn't have known the value if you guys hadn't posted about it so thanks!

there was a rummage/flea market type thing going on here. I haven't been much for yard sales (too much running around and wasting gas/time for me, even though the potential scores are huge) but I found a few good things.

WP_000045.jpg

Got silent hill 3 in like new condition for $5 - Namco Museum, Kirby Super Star, and Yoshi's Island were $25 for everything. The seller wanted $15 each. Also got a copy of SimCopter for PC for $1.

I realize that the utorrent being open in my computer looks sketchy, i'm just downloading the newest Game Center CX episode with subtitles that was released today.

[quote name='jer7583']I realize that the utorrent being open in my computer looks sketchy, i'm just downloading the newest Game Center CX episode with subtitles that was released today.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, I didn't think anything was sketchy about it until you brought it up.

Another shitty weekend. Only got a pokemon crystal. Haven't tested it yet.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Ha ha, I didn't think anything was sketchy about it until you brought it up.[/QUOTE]

Lol I didn't notice till he brought it up.
I just look at people's finds I don't look at w/e is surrounding them.

[quote name='Kovorkian']Went by a sale that was advertised all week, there were no signs today of the sale >.>[/QUOTE]

I've had this happen to me before too, it's annoying

Actually got some cool stuff today, at one sale for .50 each I got

-Lufia and the Fortress of Doom SNES Boxed (box is in ROUGH shape)
-Illusion of Gaia SNES Boxed (Box is pretty nice :)
-Jeopardy SNES Boxed
-UN Squadron SNES Boxed

Really happy to find those. And I also drove past a store called "Richters Autobody" and though to myself that it was a sign that I was going to find some castlevania stuff. Sure enough, next sale I found Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for GBA for a buck :)

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Actually got some cool stuff today, at one sale for .50 each I got

-Lufia and the Fortress of Doom SNES Boxed (box is in ROUGH shape)
-Illusion of Gaia SNES Boxed (Box is pretty nice :)
-Jeopardy SNES Boxed
-UN Squadron SNES Boxed

Really happy to find those. And I also drove past a store called "Richters Autobody" and though to myself that it was a sign that I was going to find some castlevania stuff. Sure enough, next sale I found Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for GBA for a buck :)[/QUOTE]

nice find

Not many sales today, but I did find a few old games at one of them. Paid $5 for these, and they all work.

mUQMu.jpg

Gave me a good excuse to get my 2600 set up and working. :D

Decent day for me, only went to about 4 sales

First Stop: picked up a gameboy color + super mario bros delux for $3

Second Stop: Picked up everything else pictured. I walked in and some dude in his 50's was walking out with a box of N64/sega/gameboy games :cry: but managed to still find these. Paid $30 for everything...

65cx88.jpg

dnykjk.jpg

SUPERPAD 64 = lamest 3rd party controllers ever created
dqmxhi.jpg

I picked up a bag of what looked to be final fantasy 8, but when I got home, there are disc 1,2,4 of FF8 and disc 3 of FF9 :hot:

[quote name='kovorkian']everyone is having good finds, while i cant even get finds

sidenote: Is that a complete legend of dragoon?[/quote]

yupp!!

I have started emailing people who post yard sales on craigslist a couple of days before to ask if they have games for sale. That's how I found this one (games wasn't even on the sale ad), I would recommend doing this as you can eliminate numerous stops.

[quote name='evuong']yupp!!

I have started emailing people who post yard sales on craigslist a couple of days before to ask if they have games for sale. That's how I found this one (games wasn't even on the sale ad), I would recommend doing this as you can eliminate numerous stops.[/QUOTE]

I used to try that, would always backfire because then they would update their CL ad saying that they have video games.

ie, now some jackass is knocking on their door at 6AM asking about the video games.

[quote name='evuong']yupp!!

I have started emailing people who post yard sales on craigslist a couple of days before to ask if they have games for sale. That's how I found this one (games wasn't even on the sale ad), I would recommend doing this as you can eliminate numerous stops.[/QUOTE]

that is a pro upon a list of many cons one of which the guy below posted also not many yard sales get posted in my area

[quote name='Artrigis']I used to try that, would always backfire because then they would update their CL ad saying that they have video games.

ie, now some jackass is knocking on their door at 6AM asking about the video games.[/QUOTE]

Yet another reason to yard sale "off the grid", never look at craigslist for sales, just wing it and ask at every sale for video games.

Unless you're going on an "off day" when your area doesn't normally have yard sales. That day for me is Friday, which if I decide to go, I check craigslist because there's usually 5 sales in a 20 mile radius.

overcast in Orlando this weekend so a lot of cancelled sales.

Ended up with (for free)
Blitz 2002 GBA
Genesis 6 Button Controller and Sega RF
a few CDs
17 license plates (10 are transporter plates and Ebay for $15 apiece - not bad for free)

Also got 5 Dreamcast Games for $2 total
Daytona USA (complete), Sonice Shuffle (missing manual), Midway Arcade Treasures (disc only), Frogger 2 (complete), and Sega Smash Pack (complete)

I hit the flea today and ended up with
4 New Studio Ghibli Olga Import (official Japan) CDs for .50 cents apiece (put one on ebay to test the water)
Howling Moving Castle DVD New and Sealed - $1.50
Mutant League Football *Complete* - $2
Mutant League Hockey(!) *Complete* - $2

Ive never have actually seen Mutant League Hockey until today. Its not super rare but definitely a nice little addition.

Almost didn't go out today because there haven't been very much sales lately, but i'm glad I did!

First stop: paid $10 for everything.. My 5th wind waker i've found in the past couple of months
mrcwsy.jpg

Second stop: $1 per game.. one of the Crash cases had Legend Of Mana in it!!!!! Puppy snuck in the picture
2iven9t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZombieToast']Blah, I'm sick of this town. I wish people would sell something besides baby clothes and costume jewelry.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same. 20 sales and nothing today. My finds are few and far between, but I feel like the good finds are worth it.

(Like my recent pick up of a top loader NES with 16 games for $20)

3 sales today, 2 had games, walked out with nothing.

First sale: No games.

Second sale had 2 PS1s and an :xbox:. Passed on the PS1s. Asked for :xbox: pricing, got quoted at $40, mom comes out and wants $50. No thanks. Look around some more and find a Yellow GBC with Kirby Mass Attack, an N64 controller, and 2 NES controllers. I get a quote on that, mom wants $30. I countered at $5 and $10 but she wouldn't budge. Walked away.

Sale 3 had a modded :xbox: and a lot of games and some DDR pads. I see KOTOR 2 in the pile and find out the Xbox is modded, but the lady says I have to buy everything. So I was like ok how much, she said $30 at first but then her bf comes by to correct the pricing, ends up asking for $130...hahaha no. BTW, the KOTOR 2 disc was missing.

WHY DO THESE TEARS COME AT NIGHT

bread's done
Back