Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Macheezmo']okay, so I got a copy of ghosts and goblins for nes recently, and this is the only game I've ever gotten that I just cannot get to load. I've tried using an eraser, I've tried a qtip and alcohol, and I've tried polishing it with brasso, but to no avail. It kinda bums me out because I really wanted to play it.[/QUOTE]

it may be shorted out. It has to be completely dry before you try to use it in the console. I would use alcohol and qtips,until they come out clean.

[quote name='SaraAB']It was like 25 pennies, the sale was not busy, and the person took it happily.[/QUOTE]
Hey, as long as you're willing to buy some of my crap, I'll let you pay with as many pennies as you want. I've got a coin counter.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Baby clothes make up 99% of the items at yard sales around here. In the 4+ years I've lived here, I've only found video games once.[/QUOTE]

The baby clothes/item yard sale has become one of my two dreaded yard sales to encounter, the other is black woman selling purses and dresses.

[quote name='slowdive21']it may be shorted out. It has to be completely dry before you try to use it in the console. I would use alcohol and qtips,until they come out clean.[/QUOTE]

I never knew that the cart had to be dried after cleaning with alcohol. Some video game store owner told me to leave them wet so it cleans the pins, smh. I feel stupid even believing the jackass.

Its completely ok to wrap a thin cloth around something like a credit card and use that to clean the pins of the connectors on a console, but you should let it dry for a while before you turn the console on again. Just to be safe make sure you unplug the console before you do this. I have never heard of putting a wet cart into a console to clean the pins though. Sounds like he told you this in his best interest so after you ruined your cart you would come to him for a replacement.

Its perfectly OK to use alcohol or a pencil eraser on the cart as well.

You can always see the woman with purses and dresses before hand, and we don't have too many of those here surprisingly, if you see a sale like that you can just pass it and not even stop.

[quote name='alexkidd4']I never knew that the cart had to be dried after cleaning with alcohol. Some video game store owner told me to leave them wet so it cleans the pins, smh. I feel stupid even believing the jackass.[/QUOTE]

Ok, let me clarify:

You want to use the highest % alcohol you can find. It will eventually evaporate, but you want to make sure it is completely dry before you try to power on your console.

You CAN use a cart to clean the console by using alcohol and inserting the cart in and out of the console, BUT It needs to be disconnected form the power AND, I would recommend hitting the power and reset buttons once each in case the console has stored a small charge before you begin the cleaning process.

I was going to write a whole "How to" type thing, but I don't have as much time as I used to.

I'm definitely late on followup on what I said but my point was that the dude was a jerk. I have resold, but I try to be as polite as possible. I will also put a game down that I intend to sell if another person there wants it / is eyeing it.

It is very irritating though when someone is rude or is checking ebay / scanning UPCs right there. I have seen people decline to sell them something (especially funny when the person attempts to talk someone down to nothing). I jsut see this as disrespect to the person holding the sell, the whole "I am looking this up to see if i can make money on it and then ask (or demand) a lower price to widen my profit margin" thing. I go out looking for several things and I, along with most people are pleasant when I buy something. I understand I am being invited on someone's property to buy their goods as it is easier for them to sell at home than to try to clist / flea market / thrift the items out. Its the unpleasant people and the people who sit there, grab an item, and then spend 5-10 minutes looking it up on ebay or scanning it that iterate me. Its not because I want the item (95% its something I have no interes tin) its just that I find it disrespectful to the seller. A store is one thing, but on someone's property? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Prices are usually cheap, if its not worth spending a few dollars on if your unsure you can make something on it, then just leave it instead of looking it up (or at least go to your car and look it up so your not not disrespecting the seller). Leave some fun left in yard saling.

I rarely look things up on ebay when i'm at a sale, but if I want to, I will still only do it if it's priced a little higher than I generally like to pay and if my wife is with me and she's still browsing the sale. If she finishes and I haven't finished looking it up, I usually just leave it. My service tends to be a little slow in some of the areas that I yard sale though, so I just take educated guesses most of the time.

This year I have a searchable price list on my phone so I can look things up very very quickly. I'm hoping this will help me out when I see games I'm unfamiliar with. Two more days for my season to really get started.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I'm definitely late on followup on what I said but my point was that the dude was a jerk. I have resold, but I try to be as polite as possible. I will also put a game down that I intend to sell if another person there wants it / is eyeing it.

It is very irritating though when someone is rude or is checking ebay / scanning UPCs right there. I have seen people decline to sell them something (especially funny when the person attempts to talk someone down to nothing). I jsut see this as disrespect to the person holding the sell, the whole "I am looking this up to see if i can make money on it and then ask (or demand) a lower price to widen my profit margin" thing. I go out looking for several things and I, along with most people are pleasant when I buy something. I understand I am being invited on someone's property to buy their goods as it is easier for them to sell at home than to try to clist / flea market / thrift the items out. Its the unpleasant people and the people who sit there, grab an item, and then spend 5-10 minutes looking it up on ebay or scanning it that iterate me. Its not because I want the item (95% its something I have no interes tin) its just that I find it disrespectful to the seller. A store is one thing, but on someone's property? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Prices are usually cheap, if its not worth spending a few dollars on if your unsure you can make something on it, then just leave it instead of looking it up (or at least go to your car and look it up so your not not disrespecting the seller). Leave some fun left in yard saling.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem looking shit up on people's property. Games I know like the back of my hand, so that's not a problem to me, but if I'm buying something that someone wants more than a buck or two for then I see no problem "making sure it's worth it" by checking out the going rate. Although I can usually look an item up in about 8 seconds, so it simply looks like I'm checking a text message. If a seller asks, you can always say "I'm texting my friend to see if he's interested", look it up, put your phone away, get it back out about 30 seconds later and then can "decide if he wants it or not".

But basically, if a seller wants a dollar or two, I'll risk it. That's part of the game, don't do this if you aren't willing to lose money. If a seller is asking anything comparable to a going rate online or anywhere else I feel it is COMPLETELY justified to check out what it's going for online. I'm not paying 10.00 for a calculator or 20.00 for a blender on a whim, especially if the seller says "they are worth so-and-so on ebay".

Also, a helpful hint for getting away with looking up PC game values online. Amazon will tell you what OS an older game is compatible with when you look it up. Use that as your excuse. I've only had to do this once because the seller wanted 5.00 each for disc only games, but it worked just fine.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I'm definitely late on followup on what I said but my point was that the dude was a jerk. I have resold, but I try to be as polite as possible. I will also put a game down that I intend to sell if another person there wants it / is eyeing it.

Prices are usually cheap, if its not worth spending a few dollars on if your unsure you can make something on it, then just leave it instead of looking it up (or at least go to your car and look it up so your not not disrespecting the seller). Leave some fun left in yard saling.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is a problem, almost everyone does it, but you will be faster without a smartphone and that could make or break your yard sailing trip in some cases. Knowledge will always trump the phone in this case, because not every item can be scanned, and the gems might be hiding amongst the stuff that cannot be scanned. Not even every item can be looked up, because with unique items there might not always be one on ebay to compare value with. Amazon doesn't have a whole lot of unique and older items for sale.

If the seller finds it disrespectful then they have every right to refuse the sale or kick the person off the property. The seller can easily arm themselves with a phone or a computer themselves to even the ball game especially since it is there house. Ironically I run into a lot of sales run by former ebay sellers that have been screwed by ebay and are no longer selling and they want to get rid of all their crap.

If the seller says its going for so and so on ebay this should be an immediate red flag that it isn't worth anything. They are trying to inflate the value of their junk so that they can lure buyers who are out for reselling items. I imagine everyone on here already knows this.

The sellers can be disrespectful too:

Don't have a loud phone conversation about how you are deliberately pricing your items higher than ebay directly in front of your buyers.... seen this many times...

The seller should also refrain from pricing games higher than the gamestop (or other used game store) sticker that is still on the game... this is just laughable... but I have seen it so many times.

And please, don't argue about price with your family using various obsenities directly in front of a buyer who is interested in purchasing your goods, this will get you absolutely nowhere!

If your items are priced too high (ie. $20 for random toys, $40 for a 13 inch CRT TV) then buyers will immediately leave your yard sale and head to the next sale, then people will buy nothing, and you get nothing. Yes the seller has every right to price items as they want to, but I see outrageous prices as a disrespect to the buyers, and a total waste of the buyer's time.

In regards to people asking ebay prices at yard sales: No one goes out early on Saturday morning to buy something as-is at the same price they can sit on their ass at home and get a guarantee with.

[quote name='Cmosfm']In regards to people asking ebay prices at yard sales: No one goes out early on Saturday morning to buy something as-is at the same price they can sit on their ass at home and get a guarantee with.[/QUOTE]

This goes for retail stores though also. Local video stores pricing things at ebay prices. There is a reason things are higher on ebay. Worldwide demand compared to local demand. It is shocking that most retail stores don't realize this. A sealed copy of Zelda (just an example, no clue of what it is worth) at $100 is going to sell quicker when you have the whole United States of America able to look at it. It is going to sit a LONG TIME if you have 10 people from podunk, North Dakota looking at it each day. I can't tell you how many stores I have seen go out of business following online prices, hell even Gamestop prices.

[quote name='schuerm26']This goes for retail stores though also. Local video stores pricing things at ebay prices. There is a reason things are higher on ebay. Worldwide demand compared to local demand. It is shocking that most retail stores don't realize this. A sealed copy of Zelda (just an example, no clue of what it is worth) at $100 is going to sell quicker when you have the whole United States of America able to look at it. It is going to sit a LONG TIME if you have 10 people from podunk, North Dakota looking at it each day. I can't tell you how many stores I have seen go out of business following online prices, hell even Gamestop prices.[/QUOTE]

I deal with Pawn Shops like this. Skyrim comes in and the current going rate is 50.00, so 3 months later it sits there at 50.00. Price drops be damned.

Also, on the idea of Pawn Shops, just because some obscure BBC DVD Box Set is worth 50.00 on Amazon and eBay, that doesn't mean you're going to get 50.00 in Small Town South Carolina for it.

It amazes me how much I see this.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I deal with Pawn Shops like this. Skyrim comes in and the current going rate is 50.00, so 3 months later it sits there at 50.00. Price drops be damned.

Also, on the idea of Pawn Shops, just because some obscure BBC DVD Box Set is worth 50.00 on Amazon and eBay, that doesn't mean you're going to get 50.00 in Small Town South Carolina for it.

It amazes me how much I see this.[/QUOTE]

Prices here at the local fleamarket are almost always higher than on ebay, and the stuff you buy there is junk too. Most of the games sold there probably aren't worth a dollar each for the condition they are in. You can actually trade stuff in and get more money than you would if you go on ebay. 99% of gamers are not deal hunters, we are the 1%. Also the allure of "I want it now" is way too much for some people to overcome. I know a ton of people who buy games in my family who pay full price at a store when its $20 cheaper just a few clicks and a few days away because they are spoiled and they want it now, god forbid they wait a few days for their item to arrive. I know adults that are like this too...

You also have to consider that when shopping at a yard sale you almost always don't know if the item works first hand, or until you get it home, sure you can write down the address of the house you bought it at so you can get them back later, but there is a yard sale code that states when you buy something at a yard sale, you simply can't return it. This alone should demand lower prices. When you buy on ebay you are buying an item with basically a guarantee that it will be as stated or else you can file a claim and get your money back since ebay always sides with the buyer. This is not true for yard sales.

Indie game stores won't make it alone in this area, I have seen so many close up shop, there just isn't enough interest in retro games in my town, plus they charge so much for games you can get for $5 on ebay. It would actually be good if the stores here followed ebay, since that means prices would get cheaper!

I am not sure what kind of pricing or model the local stores are following, because its not ebay or amazon, its almost as if they are following some sort of delusional pricing model that they made up themselves that will ultimately lead to their demise.

[quote name='Macheezmo']
This year I have a searchable price list on my phone so I can look things up very very quickly. I'm hoping this will help me out when I see games I'm unfamiliar with. Two more days for my season to really get started.[/QUOTE]

What do you use? I looked into this last year, but the best I came up with is vgpc.com to search and get a general idea. Not the best, but better than nothing.

[quote name='Pyloric']What do you use? I looked into this last year, but the best I came up with is vgpc.com to search and get a general idea. Not the best, but better than nothing.[/QUOTE]

I actually wrote the app myself for wp7 because I wanted it and couldn't find anything good. I've got all of the Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft systems in it. It lets me just tap to add or remove games from my collection so I don't buy things I already own (which has been a commen problem for me in the past). It does get the prices from vgpc though, so they aren't perfect, but a good enough ballpark figure for me. I can update an entire system's list at once or if I'm out just select a game and update that one. Also can just do a text search through the systems to look games up pretty quickly. It should come in really handy since I can look up 10 different games in the time it would normally take me just to get ebay to load, let alone actually do a search on it.

[quote name='Macheezmo']I actually wrote the app myself for wp7 because I wanted it and couldn't find anything good. I've got all of the Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft systems in it. It lets me just tap to add or remove games from my collection so I don't buy things I already own (which has been a commen problem for me in the past). It does get the prices from vgpc though, so they aren't perfect, but a good enough ballpark figure for me. I can update an entire system's list at once or if I'm out just select a game and update that one. Also can just do a text search through the systems to look games up pretty quickly. It should come in really handy since I can look up 10 different games in the time it would normally take me just to get ebay to load, let alone actually do a search on it.[/QUOTE]

Nice! I have a wp7, you should market that beast! I'd buy it.

Ok so these are the rest of my finds from last weekend...

Thursday find :)

$4 for all these, only game is spyro ripto's rage. (others are Armageddon and Annie soundtracks, and Edward Scissorhands anniversary edition)

These are all saturday:

CIB? legend of zelda (has fold out map, manual game, sleeve, styrofoam and box) is it missing anything?
$3, picked from a nintendo lot that the guy wanted $40 for (system, controllers, gun, and duck hunt left).

42 in 1 game, can't find anything about this
bumblebee famicom adapter
sonic adventure 2 dreamcast
nes power adapter
$2

Non-gaming finds:

full copy of xp professional edition, complete works HG Wells
$5

Seasons 2, 3, & 5 of Angel (2 of them are not opened)
$9 a bit more than I like to spend but I didn't have any of them

I totally agree sellers can be disrespectful too. My problem also isn't with people who take a few seconds to do it as its not totally obvious whats going on and your not acting like your "guarding" something for the Zombie Apocalypse. I also don't have a problem looking up something if the item costs more than $5 or $10 as then your dealing with some money. Its the people who practice doing this when only a few dollars is on the line and they spend a lot of time doing it (and then they get rude trying to talk the seller down). It just kind of takes the fun out of yard sailing.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I totally agree sellers can be disrespectful too. My problem also isn't with people who take a few seconds to do it as its not totally obvious whats going on and your not acting like your "guarding" something for the Zombie Apocalypse. I also don't have a problem looking up something if the item costs more than $5 or $10 as then your dealing with some money. Its the people who practice doing this when only a few dollars is on the line and they spend a lot of time doing it (and then they get rude trying to talk the seller down). It just kind of takes the fun out of yard sailing.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen people looking stuff up out here. In my experience people in CA try to use the "language barrier" to get stuff cheaper, and then pull out a wad of 20s to pay for stuff.

Finally got around to posting. Just put up my thrift store stuff. Here goes the yard sale goodness from the past few weeks:

IMG_0176.JPG

Fire Pro - $1
Gamecube memory card and Gameboy game - $.50 each

The wrestling game just seemed cool and obscure.

IMG_0173.JPG

$2 :lol:

The game is Pokemon fire red and was in the system. No charger but it works fine

IMG_0179.JPG

$1

Seems to work pretty well. Thing makes me feel old, or like time flies.

and for the real prize:

IMG_0178.JPG

Games $3 each
CD $2
Controller $4 (picked up a watermelon N64 on CL a few months ago that was missing the controller so I had to grab this one)

All from one sale. My kind of seller: quality stuff at reasonable prices. I don't even bother haggling with that. More story below

I was so happy to find this sale. I work every other Saturday and try to hit a few on the way to work and generally don't find much. This sale was advertised on CL and specifically mentioned games and said no early birds, starts at 9. Well I work at 9 about 5 minutes away and every time the sale has an ad someone beats me to anything worthwhile. Luckily I got there at around 8:45 and they were outside. I consider this quite a score. :cool:

iPods can be traded in at the apple store for 10% off your new iPod purchase. I would pick up an old one for a buck just for this purpose as I don't even think it has to be working to be traded in. No idea which one that is but one of the older iPods can be sent into apple for a replacement since there was something wrong with it originally, it will be replaced with the new square nano.

[quote name='GoldFly']I was so happy to find this sale. I work every other Saturday and try to hit a few on the way to work and generally don't find much. This sale was advertised on CL and specifically mentioned games and said no early birds, starts at 9. Well I work at 9 about 5 minutes away and every time the sale has an ad someone beats me to anything worthwhile. Luckily I got there at around 8:45 and they were outside. I consider this quite a score. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I tend to get extremely irritated at people who have yard sales but try to make their own rules that go against normal yard sale etiquette. "Early Birds" are normal, expect them, and yard sales typically start at 7-8 so starting a sale at 9 is unusual as it is. I normally go one route and cover about 40-50 miles round trip while sailing, so if I pass your house at 8 AM and you're setting up, I WILL stop, because I will not be back that way until after 12.

I pulled into a yard the other day with a yard sale sign on it, as soon as I pulled onto the grass I noticed a big "NO PARKING" sign. Despite the fact that there was NO WHERE ELSE TO PARK unless I parked on the road. fuck them, I left, if you're not going to let me park in your fucking yard to shop at your sale then you can keep your junk.

My purchases so far this weekend.

PS2 fat with power cord. Works. $5
LG Sprint Muzio Phone. $4. Works and the owner never deactivated it XD
Logitech Harmony 550 remote. $0.50. Works
PC*MILER Navigator 740 GPS with a ****ING 7 INCH SCREEN o_0. $30. Works.

Gonna sell all of this on eBay. About to make quite a bit of money :D

2012-04-27101833.jpg

went out today for my first time didn't find much of anything but got this lens for $5
11133%7C000001128%7C5ae2_orh400w397_Canon-EFS-18-551.jpg

its a canon EFS 18-55mm Zoom Lens F/3.5-5.6

its a stock image but the lens is in perfect quality

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cmosfm']I tend to get extremely irritated at people who have yard sales but try to make their own rules that go against normal yard sale etiquette. "Early Birds" are normal, expect them, and yard sales typically start at 7-8 so starting a sale at 9 is unusual as it is. I normally go one route and cover about 40-50 miles round trip while sailing, so if I pass your house at 8 AM and you're setting up, I WILL stop, because I will not be back that way until after 12.

I pulled into a yard the other day with a yard sale sign on it, as soon as I pulled onto the grass I noticed a big "NO PARKING" sign. Despite the fact that there was NO WHERE ELSE TO PARK unless I parked on the road. fuck them, I left, if you're not going to let me park in your fucking yard to shop at your sale then you can keep your junk.[/QUOTE]

I have driven by houses where the sale was not set up at 10 or 11am or they were still setting up at 11am... I don't even bother going out until 10am, since I have seen it enough in my area to know better now. I realize this is highly unusual but that is how it goes here.

If you have a sale and you want to sell you will take any customer that comes, that early bird that you refused might be your best customer all day long, and once again, if you hold a sale you are likely holding it to get rid of junk which means you want to sell, or hopefully for that reason! I have seen ads that say we spoiled the kids we have too many toys and we want to sell but when you get to the house everything is $20 or above and they are not willing to budge at all. I think if I ever hold a sale again I am gonna put early birds welcome in the ad and steal customers from everyone else who puts that early birds pay double! Almost every ad I see here puts that early birds pay double.

[quote name='orcafan8']
These are all saturday:

CIB? legend of zelda (has fold out map, manual game, sleeve, styrofoam and box) is it missing anything?
$3, picked from a nintendo lot that the guy wanted $40 for (system, controllers, gun, and duck hunt left).[/QUOTE]

You did good on the Zelda CIB there; I got about $40 shipped for one in slightly better condition.

Went to about 15 sales this afternoon with my wife. Very sparse, gaming wise. I picked up the Myst Collection (PC, sealed) for $2.00. First good game deal from yard sales in several years for me.

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']My purchases so far this weekend.

PS2 fat with power cord. Works. $5

Gonna sell all of this on eBay. About to make quite a bit of money :D

2012-04-27101833.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Interested in selling that PS2 outright? I need a phat PS2 for a network adapter I recently scored.

Also, haven't posted recently, but did get this off my local Facebook BST group the other day for $30. Is in pretty good condition for it's age albeit a little dusty, and regularly go for more on eBay. However, you'll have to pry this thing from my cold dead hands because I'm not letting it go anywhere.]
552866_10150978519948294_796328293_12896830_2100529546_n.jpg

Here's my finds for the weekend:

0117.jpg

Very first sale of the day:
XBox Unreal Championship 2
XBox ATV Quad Power Racing 2
360 Forza Motorsport 2
360 Halo 3: ODST

Total cost: $1

0118.jpg

PS2 Lego Star Wars
PS2 Lego Star Wars 2
PS2 Star Wars Battlefront 2
PS2 Destroy All Humans
360 Two Worlds

Total cost: $11

0119.jpg

This was the only sale that advertised "Nintendo". I was expecting Gamecube or Wii was but pleasantly surprised. He was asking 5 for the system and 2 per game.

NES System with all hookups and 2 controllers
NES Zelda
NES Double Dragon
NES Double Dragon 2
NES Caeser's Palace
NES Super Sprint
NES Donkey Kong Classics
NES Game Genie with book

Total cost: $10

0120.jpg

NES QBert with Manual
NES Side Pocket with Manual
NES Galaga
TMNT Pizza Power game (missing pizza spinner)
Hero Quest (missing the cardboard tiles)

Total cost $4

0121.jpg

Best of How to Win at Nintendo Games

Total cost: 10 cents

0122.jpg

PS1 Syphon Filter
PS1 Syphon Filter 2
PS1 Syphon Filter 3
PS2 Grand Theft Auto 3
PS2 Grand Theft Auto: Libery City Stories
PS2 Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness
PS2 Syphon Filter: Omega Strain
PS2 Rune Viking Warlord
PS2 Twisted Metal Black
PS2 SOCOM with headset
PS2 Devil May Cry

Total Cost: $20

He was just getting set up (at 10:30am) so he hadn't priced anything. When we asked he started looking at each game and assigning prices from $1-5. I just offered him a $20 for the stack to stop his nonsense.

0123.jpg

NES Metal Gear

Total Cost: 50 cents

0124.jpg

PS2 Oni
PS1 Crash Bandicoot (also had Crash Bash in the case)

Total Cost: $3 (every game was priced $2 except for Oni for some reason)

0126.jpg

Dark World board game (complete)

Total Cost: $3

0127.jpg

SNES Spindizzy Worlds
SNES Faceball 2000
SNES SOS

Total cost: $6

0128.jpg

Mario/Zelda lunchbox

Total cost: $1

Went hunting yard sales for the first time in a long time... feel like I came out great on what I picked up.

Sale 1 - $15:
- SNES w/ 3 Controllers and Original Hookups (Dirty and had sticker saying it worked)
- 10 SNES games in plastic boxes (all with Original Manuals in decent shape)
- Super Mario Land
- Mario is Missing
- Donkey Kong Country 1
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Donkey Kong Country 3
- Tetris 2
- Paperboy 2
- Frogger
- Professional Pool
- Monopoly

When I showed up, they had $7 on the SNES, so the haggler in me offered $5 and she accepted. Was getting ready to leave and thought I'd ask if she might have any games. She said yes and brought out the games I got above marked at $7 each. I offered her $10 and she accepted (must be my smile :) ). Got it home, cleaned it all up and everything works fine. My 5 year old son is playing Super Mario Land as I type.

Hit a few more sales and picked up some not gaming related items (jack stands for car, yard shears, etc..). I did find a couple of Devil May Cry Novels for $25 each that should be fun to read.

Sale 2 - $20:
- 8 Playstation 2 Games (All Mint and Complete)
- Manhunt
- GTA III
- GTA Vice City
- GTA San Andreas
- NFS: Hot Pursuit 2
- NFS: Underground
- NFS: Underground 2
- Stuntman

They wanted between $3 - $10 for each of the games, but was able to bundle it for a fair price.

The rest of the sales I went to didn't really have much gaming-wise, except a couple where I picked up a Gameboy Advance SP case for a quarter and mint PS2 Blue Controller for $1 that needs the cord fixed (looks like dog chewed it).

After I was done with yard sales, I thought I'd check out a local mom & pop gaming store that was closing to see what kind of deals they had. Picked up the following for roughly $45.
- 11 Xbox (Original) Games (All are complete except Just Cause and Guilty Gear missing books)
- Mace Griffin - Bounty Hunter
- X-Men Legends
- Soul Caliber II
- Dead or Alive 3
- Dead to Rights
- Dead to Rights 2
- Just Cause
- Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
- Indigo Prophecy
- Deus Ex - Invisible War
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance
- Resident Evil Survivor - PS1 (To add to my collection of RE Games)
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
- Max Payne - PS2 (No book)
- Mortal Kombat - SNES - Cart Only

Overall I thought I got a good amount of quality stuff today. Going to hit a few more sales tomorrow to wrap up my weekend. Hopefully I can have a good day tomorrow too.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have driven by houses where the sale was not set up at 10 or 11am or they were still setting up at 11am... I don't even bother going out until 10am, since I have seen it enough in my area to know better now. I realize this is highly unusual but that is how it goes here.

If you have a sale and you want to sell you will take any customer that comes, that early bird that you refused might be your best customer all day long, and once again, if you hold a sale you are likely holding it to get rid of junk which means you want to sell, or hopefully for that reason! I have seen ads that say we spoiled the kids we have too many toys and we want to sell but when you get to the house everything is $20 or above and they are not willing to budge at all. I think if I ever hold a sale again I am gonna put early birds welcome in the ad and steal customers from everyone else who puts that early birds pay double! Almost every ad I see here puts that early birds pay double.[/QUOTE]
I have seen "no early birds" in four or five ads in the last few weeks and I don't really get it. Are they just worried that someone's going to buy all of the good stuff and so they won't be able to attract more customers later? That's the only reasonable thing I can think of.

As for starting times, I rarely see yard sales that start as early as 8 AM. That just sounds insane to me, especially on the weekend. I think 10 AM is the norm around here, although I don't think I've ever held a yard sale that started earlier than noon. And unlike most people I see on Craigslist, I don't put stuff away until it starts getting dark. Way too many people only sell their stuff for two hours before they lug it all back into the house.

[quote name='ZombieToast']As for starting times, I rarely see yard sales that start as early as 8 AM. That just sounds insane to me, especially on the weekend. I think 10 AM is the norm around here, although I don't think I've ever held a yard sale that started earlier than noon. And unlike most people I see on Craigslist, I don't put stuff away until it starts getting dark. Way too many people only sell their stuff for two hours before they lug it all back into the house.[/QUOTE]

All of the sales I hit today started at 8AM. Only one was listed as starting at 9. Depends on the area I suppose.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I have seen "no early birds" in four or five ads in the last few weeks and I don't really get it. Are they just worried that someone's going to buy all of the good stuff and so they won't be able to attract more customers later? That's the only reasonable thing I can think of.

As for starting times, I rarely see yard sales that start as early as 8 AM. That just sounds insane to me, especially on the weekend. I think 10 AM is the norm around here, although I don't think I've ever held a yard sale that started earlier than noon. And unlike most people I see on Craigslist, I don't put stuff away until it starts getting dark. Way too many people only sell their stuff for two hours before they lug it all back into the house.[/QUOTE]

Now that people mention on it on here it does sound really odd to me but the trend here is to put early birds pay double, and to the point where 99% of yard sale ads here contain that phrase. My theory is that people don't want to be bothered while they are setting up and perhaps in some areas they get huge crowds at sale opening, and they don't want to be badgered with a huge crowd the minute the sale opens. If I was having a sale I would think of a large crowd in the morning as a good thing. However even with that I can't think of any legit reason to refuse a customer from coming on your lawn while you are having a sale, that is just bad business.

If I was holding a sale I would be very pleased if my first customer came and bought a ton of stuff. After all I would be there to sell not to hold stuff until later on, that would be stupid because the people who come later might not be interested in the same things as the people who show up early and vice versa. When people come they will stop no matter what so I don't think people are worried about not having enough good stuff for the later crowd.

People should leave their stuff out longer because it takes time to get to yard sales. Theoretically if I started at 8am I may not reach your neighborhood till 10am, and if you are already packed up then you have lost my business. Not everyone wants to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday either after working all week. I believe most of my customers came between 11am and 12 noon when I held sales, so sales should last until at least 2pm for my area. The morning was pretty much a waste and I would never get up at 6am to have a sale that starts at 8am since there weren't enough early customers to justify the fuss.

Why pack it up if its already there, might as well leave it out and wait for buyers to come, at least until 30 min after your ad says the sale will end. If you have somewhere important to be that day then you probably shouldn't be having your sale on that day, and ending at 2pm or 3pm is still plenty of time to pack up the leftovers and do the Saturday groceries and come home with plenty of time to spare for the rest of the day.

But seriously I am not going to chastise a buyer for coming to my sale 15 min early or make them pay double the asking price on an item for showing up ahead of time..

I could understand if they're just worried about not being able to draw people in, but even so, I too would definitely prefer to have someone come early and buy up a bunch of crap. Then I'd be able to pull even more stuff out of the house and shed to sell! (I just found my first ad mentioning an extra charge for the early birds: http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/gms/2982950887.html)

[quote name='Monoxide1986']All of the sales I hit today started at 8AM. Only one was listed as starting at 9. Depends on the area I suppose.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and I suppose it depends on the time of year as well. Yard sales usually start dying down around this time of year because of the heat, so I haven't been scouring Craigslist much, but I just checked and it looks like we actually have quite a few early ones this weekend. I'm surprised to see any sales at all really, but I guess if you're going to do it now, it has to be fairly early because only a masochist would spend time outside past noon.

Gotta love ads like this:
Movies, Retro Game Systems, Games, Clothes, Toys, and much more.

It's very rare to find an ad mentioning retro games (or anything of interest, really) and they of course don't bother to mention a time or day. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though, because 99% of the ads look just like this:
Lots ond lots of stuff! 6:30- 1:00 Saturday
Yard sale @ 3909 woodton ave (off of panama && akers) kidz nd womens clothes, mattresses bby clothes.. etc everything must go !!!!
lots of kids clothes, baby clothes ect , house hold items and lots more

I hate people.

I helped run a couple of sales in the past month or so (Relay for Life fundraising, what-up!) and we weren't really a huge fan of early-birds. Those people who got there early would try to nickle and dime us for literally everything. We had a lot of iPod stuff (a touch, a classic, cords, and a shuffle) bundled together for $50 bucks, and we had three early-birders trying to get the bundle off of us for under $10 bucks. I know yard sales are haggling to a point, but around here early-birders are pretty bad.

I used to always try to get out by 8am, but a lot of sales haven't been opening until 9, so I'd find myself going through areas twice, and it just wasn't worth it, so I started leaving later. I got to one sale yesterday at 9:30 am, they weren't advertised and had no sign to indicate time, but they had tons of stuff out and there were a couple cars parked out front. As we walked up the guy running it told us they weren't ready so we had to leave. We went to a sale next door and in the 3 minutes we were there he turned away 5 other people. I just don't get why you'd turn away so many people when at least most of your stuff is already out.

I've ran a couple of sales in the last few years and we always get a few early birds, but I generally don't mind. I just want stuff gone, though I haven't had the problem of people trying to extremely lowball me.

Most sales here start at 9 and 10. I leave at like 8:45 because any earlier and nobody will be set up anyway. I try to arrange the later sales further down in my route but sometimes there's no avoiding them and they often start early anyway.

I've seen "no early birds" in lots of ads but I generally ignore it because a) I don't go out that early and b) if you consider anything past 9 early, that's your problem. The people going out at 5, 6 in the morning and knocking on doors though, they're nuts. I don't really think it much happens here, it must be a regional thing, but I have heard the occasional story.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Gotta love ads like this:[/QUOTE]
Love ads with no date/time. Or ads with only the street and no address. Or ads with no address period. Or ads that are posted 3 times a day for a full week, and then when you get there there is no sale. Sales in a cul-de-sac that takes 10 minutes to get into and out of, with only a single table of glassware. And yes, those ever-present sales with naught but piles and piles of pink baby clothes you can spot from a mile away.

This hobby is fun but there are a lot of little annoyances that can build up and drive a person out of their mind.

Good morning.

Sonic 2: 1.00
Turok Dinosaur Hunter: 1.00
Xbox 360 controller: 2.00
Nintendogs Edition DS: 2.00 (no charger, did come with a 3ds charger... ordered a charger for 5.00 shipped on Amazon)
Halo: 1.00
Madden 10: 1.00 (360)
Mercenaries 2: 1.00 (360)
Jade Cocoon 2: 1.00
Jak and Daxter: 1.00
Jak 3: 1.00
Saints Row the 3rd: 1.00 (complete with online pass though have to check if its used)

[quote name='SlammedNiss']
Also, haven't posted recently, but did get this off my local Facebook BST group the other day for $30. Is in pretty good condition for it's age albeit a little dusty, and regularly go for more on eBay. However, you'll have to pry this thing from my cold dead hands because I'm not letting it go anywhere.]
552866_10150978519948294_796328293_12896830_2100529546_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I had one of those when I was younger, along with a Mario's Cement Factory tabletop machine. Unfortunately just like my Legos and most of the rest of my toys from when I was a kid they disappeared when my grandmom got in a cleaning/giving mood.

She gave the tabletop games away to the fuckin' asshole who put our new house up half ass for his lil brats, who probably destroyed them.:cry:

At least I somehow managed to stash my vintage 1980's Transformers G1 toys in my closet when we moved here, so those survived the toy purging.:)
[quote name='Bing147']Good morning.

Sonic 2: 1.00
Turok Dinosaur Hunter: 1.00
Xbox 360 controller: 2.00
Nintendogs Edition DS: 2.00 (no charger, did come with a 3ds charger... ordered a charger for 5.00 shipped on Amazon)
Halo: 1.00
Madden 10: 1.00 (360)
Mercenaries 2: 1.00 (360)
Jade Cocoon 2: 1.00
Jak and Daxter: 1.00
Jak 3: 1.00
Saints Row the 3rd: 1.00 (complete with online pass though have to check if its used)[/QUOTE]
You go yard saling at a crack house?:lol: Geez. A dollar for current gen games and $2 for a DS? Cripes.:whistle2:# Good finds though.

You go yard saling at a crack house?:lol: Geez. A dollar for current gen games and $2 for a DS? Cripes.:whistle2:# Good finds though.

Actually a really nice area. I could barely keep a straight face. Just hope the ds works.

Pretty much a bust today.

360 controller - $2
Bunch of X-Men Comics - $2
Boxes - Free

Controller is in rough shape and is missing the battery cover. I'll test it when I get back from work. Bought 15 comics from a dude who was selling 15 cents each. Was a little over $2 but he accepted for $2. Boxes were in a free pile and who doesn't want free boxes?

Had a pretty good day. Yesterday was my birthday, so maybe this is the garage sale god giving me some love.

All of this was a $30 purchase:

gs04281200.jpg

gs04281201.jpg

gs04281202.jpg

gs04281203.jpg

The Sega Nomad has an AC Adapter and battery pack and works :D

Went out to a sale today that advertised games from every system since atari. He didn't lie, and had a pretty good selection to choose from. Unfortunately, he was also asking ebay prices for nearly everything, and was pricing a lot of the games when I got there with his phone.

I got there 5 minutes late and missed a complete copy of Ergheiz for PS1 for $5 by some guy and his girlfriend, and an NES for $15. Both surprising since he was pricing by ebay. Anyway, I grabbed the 5 games below for $4 each, also surprising.

Ekzsu.jpg

After I left there, I went to another couple of sales and found a questionable score. The guy didn't have any games, but he had a box of video game controllers. He said to take it for $10 and wouldn't budge.

Now, it may seem like a great deal for the sheer amount of controllers... but if you can see, a majority of them have frayed cables or other imperfections. Only 2 of the N64 controllers have good sticks as well:cry:. Also not pictured are 8 PS2 controllers and some other crap that was in the box.

ZEZFP.jpg

oEr3v.jpg

You gotta love older adults selling their youngers newfangled cartoons.

Witch Hunter Robin: Complete Collection - $3

$21 for the rest of this over the course of multiple sales:

ps1:
Final Fantasy 7
Medievil

SNES:

The Lion King
Bubsy
Bart's Nightmare

GBA:
Super Mario Advance
Sonic the Hedgehog

+ six others, mostly ps1 and SNES commons.

Also saw a Donkey Kong Board Game that was pretty cool, they wanted $20 though so I had to pass. Looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DONKEY-KONG-1981-1982-Milton-Bradley-Board-Game-100-Complete-/330722691325

bread's done
Back