Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I prefer my profit margin on the $2 Panic Restaurant NES Cartridge I picked up at a yard-sale that I ended up selling for $325 on eBay. But, a decent find nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

That's nothing compared to the $350 I made off just the box from a $2 CIB copy of Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. I also ended up selling the cart for $175.

[quote name='Artrigis']Very nice! Looks like $115 value on that. That's got to be the best $0.50 you've ever spent.
I've come close to that profit margin before once, board game for $3 sold for $105 on CL.[/QUOTE]
man. when this came out, i had a sealed stack of these. I did sell them off for like $70 each at the time. I kept one (and opened it). I wish i had an unopened one too.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']That's nothing compared to the $350 I made off just the box from a $2 CIB copy of Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. I also ended up selling the cart for $175.[/QUOTE]
Jesus are you shitting me?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']That's nothing compared to the $350 I made off just the box from a $2 CIB copy of Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. I also ended up selling the cart for $175.[/QUOTE]
that must have been a while ago because the cart goes for $500ish now and the box can probably pull $1k

[quote name='uiengineer']that must have been a while ago because the cart goes for $500ish now and the box can probably pull $1k[/QUOTE]

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='burritoman']Jesus are you shitting me?[/QUOTE]

The reason that game is worth so much is because it was never for sale at retail only blockbuster rented it out.

[quote name='needler420']The reason that game is worth so much is because it was never for sale at retail only blockbuster rented it out.[/QUOTE]

Ahh ic, so just like that Clayfighter game for N64 then.

[quote name='uiengineer']that must have been a while ago because the cart goes for $500ish now and the box can probably pull $1k[/QUOTE]

It was a few years ago. It's posted in one of the old yard sale threads here.

[quote name='Doomstink']Some non-RPG guides are worth a lot that you'd never expect - Golden Axe: Beast Rider, Disney's Cars, etc. As suggested, it's totally worth hopping on Amazon and looking through all the guides to see what is valuable.[/QUOTE]hm, interesting. when someone has like 10+ guides though, there's no way i could plug them all into my phone reasonably (and, tbh, i don't even think my current shitty phone can access amazon with any kind of reasonable speed for even one guide look up).

how do you guys pick through strategy guides you see? i picked up a xenogears guide solely on the basis that it was a hard to find ps1 game and that worked out well but it was basically just a guess into a field of strategy guides i've never entered before (first time i've seen them in the wild). it would be nice if they were added onto vgpc or someone compiled some sort of list of what to look out for.

[quote name='NiiNJA']hm, interesting. when someone has like 10+ guides though, there's no way i could plug them all into my phone reasonably (and, tbh, i don't even think my current shitty phone can access amazon with any kind of reasonable speed for even one guide look up).

how do you guys pick through strategy guides you see? i picked up a xenogears guide solely on the basis that it was a hard to find ps1 game and that worked out well but it was basically just a guess into a field of strategy guides i've never entered before (first time i've seen them in the wild). it would be nice if they were added onto vgpc or someone compiled some sort of list of what to look out for.[/QUOTE]

I'll get right on that...;)

[quote name='NiiNJA']i fail to see what was so comical about that?[/QUOTE]

You just asked another person to give you specific directions on how to make money the same way that s/he does. If more people are selling rare/valuable guides on amazon or the 'bay , the price will probably go down.

Maybe doing your own homework would be a good idea.

[quote name='yourlefthand']You just asked another person to give you specific directions on how to make money the same way that s/he does. If more people are selling rare/valuable guides on amazon or the 'bay , the price will probably go down.

Maybe doing your own homework would be a good idea.[/QUOTE]please tell me youre kidding?

i understand increased knowledge on the subject could have a relatively large impact on getting these items (ie someone beating you out at getting them at a sale/flea market or whatever) but lists of every single game value for nearly every video game console has been published by vgpc and unless i'm missing something, game values haven't decreased because of them.

after reading through most of this thread, i thought it was mostly to brag about your scores but also share your experiences. i've learned a lot from random insights here such as just a few pages back in buying brand name clothes and then flipping them for an instant profit at a clothes shop and it's things like that which have made this thread interesting and a valuable enough reference to read through.

[quote name='NiiNJA']please tell me youre kidding?

i understand increased knowledge on the subject could have a relatively large impact on getting these items (ie someone beating you out at getting them at a sale/flea market or whatever) but lists of every single game value for nearly every video game console has been published by vgpc and unless i'm missing something, game values haven't decreased because of them.

after reading through most of this thread, i thought it was mostly to brag about your scores but also share your experiences. i've learned a lot from random insights here such as just a few pages back in buying brand name clothes and then flipping them for an instant profit at a clothes shop and it's things like that which have made this thread interesting and a valuable enough reference to read through.[/QUOTE]

TBH I think mostly this thread is just for bragging. If you pay attention to what people are bragging about, you may learn what is good to buy and resell.
Every now and then some good info pops out, but I think a lot of people here don't want to blatantly just tell everyone that you should buy X because its worth Y.
I know for a fact Ive seen several posters around these boards bragging about buys that are in my neighborhood, so I wouldn't personally want to inform my competitors what to buy, nor they inform me.

[quote name='Artrigis']TBH I think mostly this thread is just for bragging. If you pay attention to what people are bragging about, you may learn what is good to buy and resell.
Every now and then some good info pops out, but I think a lot of people here don't want to blatantly just tell everyone that you should buy X because its worth Y.
I know for a fact Ive seen several posters around these boards bragging about buys that are in my neighborhood, so I wouldn't personally want to inform my competitors what to buy, nor they inform me.[/QUOTE]

I never mention my specific location because I'm in a smaller market and competition is fierce enough! Whenever someone on here mentions my area specifically I put them in my list of CAG profiles to stalk. ;)

[quote name='Invicta 61']I never mention my specific location because I'm in a smaller market and competition is fierce enough! Whenever someone on here mentions my area specifically I put them in my list of CAG profiles to stalk. ;)[/QUOTE]

That's me you are talking about...and I know where you live. I've been to the big lots there when they had the $3 DVD box sets. I think I dropped $200 or so that day. :lol:

did anyone else go to the 127 sale aka worlds longest yard sale? It gets worse and worse every year with more flea market resellers and less actual yard sales (the weird thing is that highway 127 almost never goes through neighborhoods, hardly anyone lives anywhere near it so I don't get why they would pick that road for yard sales), but this year was really the worst, probably because it rained the entire week. The only thing I found was an NES with no cords for 5 dollars and a toploader dog boner controller for 1 dollar, which I can flip pretty easily.

I noticed on the official 127 sale facebook page that A LOT of people were complaining about the resellers and their ridiculously high prices and refusal to haggle on anything, so at least people are finally getting fed up with it. I even saw a few sellers with signs that said, with incorrect spelling, "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE GO TO WALMART AND BYE IT!" and this one old guy was yelling at everyone "NO - I WON'T TAKE ANY LESS FOR ANYTHING! I AIN'T PLAYIN NO GAMES!"....then on sunday he just threw all his "antiques" in the garbage instead of the packing them back up!

another funny story, about a month ago I found some guy in a huge mansion selling stuff out of a barn and he had a boxed intellivison with a bunch of (crappy common and sports) boxed games, but he wanted $50 for it so I didn't buy it (I was only interested to resell it). A few weeks later I inadvertently went back to his house again because he listed the sale again and I didn't realize it was the same guy. This time I asked about the games again, assuming it would be less since it didn't sell last time....well now it was $100!! No one bought it and the price went UP! The guy just says to me "yeah I uh....looked....uh.....ebay..." and then said "oh you aren't interested?" and I just laughed at him and walked away and told him I don't go to yard sales to pay ebay prices. Then he says "oh well it still works"...as if if it DIDN'T work it would still be worth anything?! To make it worse, the boxes were now all wet and torn up from the leaking barn roof, and the guy was obviously loaded so I thought it was kind of weird that he was that adamant about getting so much money for an intellivison when he probably doesn't even need the money.

I would imagine that the people NOT making money would get the fact through their heads that if it does not sell, go cheaper.

Or else they'll end up like that old guy crows mentioned. Hell. If it was "good garbage" I wouldn't mind picking through it. Lolol. It brings meaning to "one man's trash is another man's treasure" :lol:

got this over the weekend

80 gb ps3 - $15
hogans alley nes - $1
original xbox hip gear screen pad - $2
lois and clark season 1 - $1
sega cd games, the terminator, silpheed complete, sherlock holmes,
sol-feace, sewer shark - $3
|bomberman classic nes series gba 50 cents

here are the pictures

DE1850D7-C18C-3E71-47CB9A52B8DFAEB6.jpg

[quote name='NiiNJA']how do you guys pick through strategy guides you see?[/QUOTE]

I'll just buy the whole stack at $0.50-1.00 per guide if I recognize a few winners.

[quote name='boyboy1080']got this over the weekend

80 gb ps3 - $15
hogans alley nes - $1
original xbox hip gear screen pad - $2
lois and clark season 1 - $1
sega cd games, the terminator, silpheed complete, sherlock holmes,
sol-feace, sewer shark - $3
|bomberman classic nes series gba 50 cents

here are the pictures

[/QUOTE]

Look, I gotta ask, how did you get a PS3 for $15? Is it broken or something? Or are you just a hardass negotiator?

at first the guy wanted $50, i was gonna decline and say i dont have that much, but then he said how much do you have then i told him $15, then he said ok ill sell it to you for $15

when i got it home it turned on, no ylod and it took in ps3 games but i couldnt get a video to come up on tv

[quote name='boyboy1080']at first the guy wanted $50, i was gonna decline and say i dont have that much, but then he said how much do you have then i told him $15, then he said ok ill sell it to you for $15

when i got it home it turned on, no ylod and it took in ps3 games but i couldnt get a video to come up on tv[/QUOTE]

Did you try resetting the video? Had this happen after a firmware update on my fat ps3 and I had to do this to get the video again. Could be the hdmi port is fried and maybe try a set of component or composite ps2 cables.

http://www.portfolioofpb.com/blog/ps3-blank-screen-switch-inputs-hdmi-to-composite-to-hdmi

[quote name='slowdive21']That's me you are talking about...and I know where you live. I've been to the big lots there when they had the $3 DVD box sets. I think I dropped $200 or so that day. :lol:[/QUOTE]
shit. i hope he isn't the one taking up all my yard sale finds.

[quote name='uiengineer']shit. i hope he isn't the one taking up all my yard sale finds.[/QUOTE]

No were are not in the same town. There is a CAG that lives here and at least 1 or 2 that hit my stores based on buying patterns. There are ton of SDers now, so that is throwing off the balance.

Getting rained out today. I didn't go to more than 2 sales the past 2 weeks.

[quote name='slowdive21']That's me you are talking about...and I know where you live. I've been to the big lots there when they had the $3 DVD box sets. I think I dropped $200 or so that day. :lol:[/QUOTE]

And I know where you live. I stand over you in your sleep, and watch you breathe..... :shock:

[quote name='slowdive21']No were are not in the same town. There is a CAG that lives here and at least 1 or 2 that hit my stores based on buying patterns. There are ton of SDers now, so that is throwing off the balance.

Getting rained out today. I didn't go to more than 2 sales the past 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]
i was talking about invicta. i know you and i aren't in same place.

So I haven't posted here in a while, but this was my find last week:
DSCF1654.jpg

DSCF1655.jpg

They were a reseller, that does mostly glass and china (I was familiar with them from local auctions/yard sales/flea markets.) I accidentally went to their yard sale not realizing it was them and they had all these, I started taking off the stickers but decided to leave them on for this picture first.

They had them all priced at high eBay prices, and they were my only yard sale I could go to last week (I was doing my own yard sale, and set up and went out to this one while my girlfriend made sure no one came early to mine) so I was upset that I was gonna strike out at my only sale. I asked what the best they could do on everything was and they told me it was what they had on them as they hadn't officially started yet. I asked them if the stuff worked, they told me they are cartridges and cartridges always work so they didn't bother testing them. I responded with it was likely all the batteries on the NES games were bad, and possibly even the N64 games didn't work making them worth next to nothing, and NES are one of the most faulty systems out there so they would need new 72-pin connectors before being worth anything close to the $45 they had on each. I told them purely on a gamble I would do $20, and hope a couple things worked to at least make back my money but hopefully a little extra. After going back and forth a bit, ended up settling on $40.

As for the bad, the Yobo doesn't seem to work it just shows a half black half white screen on any game. All 3 NES systems need new 72-pin connectors. Legend of Zelda has a bad battery. Everything else tested working good.

Solid find this morning. N64 with 3 first party controllers, expansion pack, Mario 64, goldeneye, perfect dark, diddy Kong racing and wipeout 64. 15.00.

Games and two controllers for me, system for sale

[quote name='uiengineer']i was talking about invicta. i know you and i aren't in same place.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I would have to leave the house at 3AM to get to yard sales in the Chicago area by 7AM. That's not gonna happen.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Nope. I would have to leave the house at 3AM to get to yard sales in the Chicago area by 7AM. That's not gonna happen.[/QUOTE]
good enough for me. lol

[quote name='ferant316']
As for the bad, the Yobo doesn't seem to work it just shows a half black half white screen on any game. All 3 NES systems need new 72-pin connectors. Legend of Zelda has a bad battery. Everything else tested working good.[/QUOTE]

I assume you already know how to replace the 72 pin connectors and batteries in games. If not, it's easy to do. I would hear of people around here tossing NES systems if they blinked. DON'T DO IT!

[quote name='Invicta 61']I assume you already know how to replace the 72 pin connectors and batteries in games. If not, it's easy to do. I would hear of people around here tossing NES systems if they blinked. DON'T DO IT![/QUOTE]
agreed.

[quote name='Invicta 61']I assume you already know how to replace the 72 pin connectors and batteries in games. If not, it's easy to do. I would hear of people around here tossing NES systems if they blinked. DON'T DO IT![/QUOTE]

I do, but I have over 30 systems that I bought broken and I need to repair so it means the NES have to wait before being sold. Just funny that most of the reasons I talked them down actually ended up holding true. I like putting in the battery holders for NES games, its same amount of work but so much better when the next one goes, and I have 100s of CR2032 because 4 pairs of my 3D glasses for my TV aren't the rechargeable type so I bought a bulk lot of the CR2032 for them and other projects.

[quote name='ferant316']So I haven't posted here in a while, but this was my find last week:
DSCF1654.jpg

DSCF1655.jpg

They were a reseller, that does mostly glass and china (I was familiar with them from local auctions/yard sales/flea markets.) I accidentally went to their yard sale not realizing it was them and they had all these, I started taking off the stickers but decided to leave them on for this picture first.

They had them all priced at high eBay prices, and they were my only yard sale I could go to last week (I was doing my own yard sale, and set up and went out to this one while my girlfriend made sure no one came early to mine) so I was upset that I was gonna strike out at my only sale. I asked what the best they could do on everything was and they told me it was what they had on them as they hadn't officially started yet. I asked them if the stuff worked, they told me they are cartridges and cartridges always work so they didn't bother testing them. I responded with it was likely all the batteries on the NES games were bad, and possibly even the N64 games didn't work making them worth next to nothing, and NES are one of the most faulty systems out there so they would need new 72-pin connectors before being worth anything close to the $45 they had on each. I told them purely on a gamble I would do $20, and hope a couple things worked to at least make back my money but hopefully a little extra. After going back and forth a bit, ended up settling on $40.

As for the bad, the Yobo doesn't seem to work it just shows a half black half white screen on any game. All 3 NES systems need new 72-pin connectors. Legend of Zelda has a bad battery. Everything else tested working good.[/QUOTE]

Nice finds dude!

Have a party to go to today. So no go on the Yard Sales. My mom told me there is one nearby with Dvds but she didn't buy anything she thought would interest me. Lol.

Well as soon as I got in the car it started pouring rain. Freak storm.
Friggin 6am, 90f, and raining.
I still went out, and had what is my best day out in months.

2012-08-11_09-59-30_530.jpg

The tv is a crystal clear 13in prison tv made by RCA. Paid $5
backround - the only lucrative jobs here are working at one of the two prisons.
These are issued too the inmates so the cant hide shit in them.
well, not really issued, but if they want a tv and are allowed it in their
cell they can buy one of these in the prison catalog for about $170

I plan on attempting to hard wire a game gear into it and make a consolized GG
Heavy on the LED's of coarse.

2012-08-11_09-59-39_27.jpg

Got the gamecube and DS game both for $5 (she wanted $7)

The controllers and SNES I bought all thrown together in a box for $3
The woman I bought them from said she buys storage lockers.
She told me if she found more she would facebook me ;) (again, I live in a pretty small town)

Edit: btw the analog sticks on the 64 controllers feel brand new, was extremely surprising. nice and springy
Edit 2: Also got a pair 5 tier pine DVD/CD shelves for $1\ea

Last edited by a moderator:
I always saw that kinda tv when I'd watch MSNBC's Lockup series. One of the pawn shops here actually sells them too. I guess maybe once the people get outta jail they bring them into the pawn shop to hawk.;)

Yea there has been a few popping up for sale here lately. once they buy it its theirs to keep. being a prison town, inmates family move here, then when they get out you have tons of ex cons living here. In this town your pretty much law enforcement or a druggie. Tons of crime for a town this size.

The DS game will be a keep as I haven't touched a Pokemon game since gold for GBC. bought the gamecube game to sell. as that's my third Snes I'll probably sell that, and sell the saturn 3D controller

they also had pokemon mystery dungeon or so i thought, she was getting me change and I realized pokemon saphire GBA was in it. just passed on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Rampage World Tour and Battle Tanx Global Assault for $1, then I found a box of comic books. I don't know much about them, but took a stab in the dark and purchased for $60.

P1010915.jpg

P1010914.jpg

P1010913.jpg

P1010912.jpg

P1010911.jpg

P1010910.jpg

P1010909.jpg

P1010908.jpg

P1010907.jpg

P1010906.jpg

It includes Wolverine #1 - $79, and the Limited series #1 - #4, and a bunch of other stuff.

[quote name='Trullyn']Got Rampage World Tour and Battle Tanx Global Assault for $1, then I found a box of comic books. I don't know much about them, but took a stab in the dark and purchased for $60.

P1010915.jpg

P1010914.jpg

P1010913.jpg

P1010912.jpg

P1010911.jpg

P1010910.jpg

P1010909.jpg

P1010908.jpg

P1010907.jpg

P1010906.jpg

It includes Wolverine #1 - $79, and the Limited series #1 - #4, and a bunch of other stuff.[/QUOTE]

Nice find on the comics. Used to be a reader of the wolverine comics
when I was a kid, so this definitely brings back memories. But yeah
the limited series alone should cover the cost or possibly depending
on condition of the comics. I remember Wolverine #10 being a good one
as well, since it has the first fight with sabertooth in this series

[quote name='robwhois']Nice find on the comics. Used to be a reader of the wolverine comics
when I was a kid, so this definitely brings back memories. But yeah
the limited series alone should cover the cost or possibly depending
on condition of the comics. I remember Wolverine #10 being a good one
as well, since it has the first fight with sabertooth in this series[/QUOTE]

+1 Yeah the mini series pays for the lot. Great find!

Picked these up for $.50:

yardsale.jpg

Next house got Left 4 Dead and Lego Indiana Jones (360 both complete) for $5.

Only thing I saw today at 25 or so yard sales was a Fat DS with a busted hinge for $10, passed.

The local flea market had a bunch of PS2 games for $5, from quite a few sellers, but my backlog is big enough, so didn't buy anything. Might go back in a few weeks and try again.

I tried a little underhanded trick today that seemed to work pretty well. Since I am always being beat by flea market resellers, usually by them emailing the people holding a yard sale and buying everything before the sale starts, I decided to post a fake yard sale ad. I said that I had a bunch of old boxed nintendo games, some that were never opened, and they were only $1 each because I didn't know anything about them and needed to get rid of them because I was moving. I made the "sale" on the other side of town of a sale I actually wanted to go to and had it start at the same time. This way I could lead all the resellers somewhere else while I got to the real sale by myself! It must have worked because I got tons of emails from people asking if they could just buy everything before my sale started, and strangely half of the emails were using the same line "my 4 year old kid really likes the original nintendo and I would like to buy all of these for him". I guess this is some new trick people are using to try and guilt people into lowering their prices or something, but I heard it a LOT. I know ts a pretty dirty move but its not any worse than people buying up everything the day before and no one else even gets a chance.....plus I got about 30 NES games, an SNES with 10 games, and a gamecube with 40 boxed games for $5!

[quote name='crows in black']I tried a little underhanded trick today that seemed to work pretty well. Since I am always being beat by flea market resellers, usually by them emailing the people holding a yard sale and buying everything before the sale starts, I decided to post a fake yard sale ad. I said that I had a bunch of old boxed nintendo games, some that were never opened, and they were only $1 each because I didn't know anything about them and needed to get rid of them because I was moving. I made the "sale" on the other side of town of a sale I actually wanted to go to and had it start at the same time. This way I could lead all the resellers somewhere else while I got to the real sale by myself! It must have worked because I got tons of emails from people asking if they could just buy everything before my sale started, and strangely half of the emails were using the same line "my 4 year old kid really likes the original nintendo and I would like to buy all of these for him". I guess this is some new trick people are using to try and guilt people into lowering their prices or something, but I heard it a LOT. I know ts a pretty dirty move but its not any worse than people buying up everything the day before and no one else even gets a chance.....plus I got about 30 NES games, an SNES with 10 games, and a gamecube with 40 boxed games for $5![/QUOTE]
This, sir or madam, is awesome. Bravo!

bread's done
Back