Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

There's not doubt all kinds of informal talks that have been going on for who knows how long. Otherwise the board of trustees wouldn't have much to talk about. :D

It's just like the last go around, there will be lots of back and for, denials and doublespeak etc. before any thing is official. So you just have to take everything with a grain of salt.

The only way I can think of that would be truly fair (i.e., every team in FBS actually has a shot) would be to do a 16-team play-off, with all 11 FBS conference champions recieving an auto-bid plus 5 at-large bids for the five highest ranked teams who are not conference champions (this should also cover independents, which I don't think should get an auto-bid because then independent teams could just adjust their scheduling with no conference affiliation), and then seed them based on national ranking. It will likely never happen, but here is what last year would have looked like:

Code:
Conference Champions:

ACC            Clemson
Big East       West Virginia 
Big 10         Wisconsin
Big 12         Oklahoma State
C-USA          Southern Miss
MAC            Northern Illinois
MWC            Texas Christian
Pac 12         Oregon
SEC            Louisianna State
Sun Belt       Arkansas State
WAC            Louisianna Tech

At Large Teams:

Alabama       (SEC)
Stanford      (Pac 12)
Arkansas      (SEC)
Boise State   (MWC)
Kansas State  (Big 12)

01.) Louisianna State ___                            ___       Stanford (.04
16.) Louisianna Tech     |                          |     West Virginia (.13
                         |___                    ___|
                         |   \                  /   |
05.) Oregon           ___|    \                /    |___   Kansas State (.08
12.) Southern Miss.            |              |               Wisconsin (.09
                               |_____ vs _____|                             
                               |              |                             
07.) Boise State      ___      |              |      ___       Arkansas (.06
10.) Clemson             |    /                \    |   Texas Christian (.11
                         |___/                  \___|
                         |                          |       
03.) Oklahoma State   ___|                          |___        Alabama (.02
14.) Northern Illinois                                   Arkansas State (.15

That scenario would nullify many, if not all, arguments regarding being left out. You can win your conference, or be one of the top 5 teams who didn't win their conference. If you're not in either group, then you really don't have any reason as to why you should make the playoff.

That would be best, and hopefully that's where the eventually get. I imagine we'll have the 4 team playoff for quite a while, then it will go to 8 for a number of years and then maybe get to 16.

8 works pretty well though. Have 5 or 6 leagues who's champs get autobids and then 2-3 at large spots to round it out.

I can't imagine them ever getting to 16 teams. Too many extra games for the best teams with the rise in concern for stuff like concussions.

[quote name='Halo05']I can't imagine them ever getting to 16 teams. Too many extra games for the best teams with the rise in concern for stuff like concussions.[/QUOTE]
If the FCS can, then the FBS can.

I set up a CAG College Football Pick Em group on Yahoo. If there's enough interest I'll create a separate thread, just trying to find out if enough people want to participate.

Join here: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college/register/joingroup
Group ID#: 7912
Password: cag

If you sign up, please make your pick em name on there the same as your username here so there's no confusion. Also if you want to play, there's a few options on how we can setup the game. It allows the group to do straight pick em, pick em with confidence points, and/or pick em with spread. I can change it to whatever the consensus wants.

AP Preseason Top 25

1 Southern Cal (25)
2 Alabama (17)
3 LSU (16)
4 Oklahoma (1)
5 Oregon
6 Georgia
7 Florida St.
8 Michigan (1)
9 South Carolina
10 Arkansas
11 West Virginia
12 Wisconsin
13 Michigan St.
14 Clemson
15 Texas
16 Virginia Tech
17 Nebraska
18 Ohio St.
19 Oklahoma St.
20 TCU
21 Stanford
22 Kansas St.
23 Florida
24 Boise St.
25 Louisville

Others Receiving Votes: Notre Dame 83, Washington 55, Auburn 53, North Carolina 32, Utah 30, Georgia Tech 25, BYU 22, Tennessee 15, South Florida 11, Baylor 9, Texas A&M 5, UCF 4, Cincinnati 3, Missouri 3, N.C. State 3, Houston 1, Louisiana Tech 1, Mississippi St. 1, N. Illinois 1.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Mathieu is in rehab now and likely won't be attending college or playing football this fall.[/QUOTE]

That's ok because the REAL honey badger lives in Manhattan KS:

CKMVP_r2_c1.jpg

Seasons kicks off with a bunch of games this Thursday and Friday, and gets into full swing on Saturday, so this thread needed a bump!

Thought it could be fun if people post their team's schedule and some predictions on how they think there team will do.

I'm very excited for WVU's first season in the Big 12. Will be great to have more than 1 or 2 big games on the schedule each year, even if it means taking some lumps! That said, we return everything on offense from the team that put up 70 in the Orange Bowl, so we should be covered there. Defense is more of a question mark since we have a new defensive staff, switched from the 3-3-5 to a 3-4 and lost some key players (though the D wasn't great last year anyway).

Anyway, WVU's Schedule and my Predictions.

Marshall--W
James Madison (@ Fed Ex Field)--W
Maryland--W
Baylor-W
@ Texas--L
@ Texas Tech--W
Kansas State--W
TCU--W
@Oklahoma State--W
Oklahoma--L
@Iowa Sate--W
Kansas--W

That's my take on it. I feel good about the 10-2 prediction, the wins/losses less so. At Texas will be tough as WVU hasn't played in those huge stadium road game environments often. Oklahoma game will likely be for the conference championship barring some unforeseen injuries/upsets on either side. Being home will help, but I don't know that we have the depth to take down the Sooners this year. TCU, Kansas State and Oklahoma State (another tough road environment) are the other 3 games that worry me. The rest I think will be fairly easy wins--especially the weak non-conference slate.

FSU - Preseason AP #7

Offense - Everyone is healthy again. The offensive line lost Andrew Datko but no problem as our new line averages 311 pounds. They should hold up well. Our WR depth is great. Our offense should be pretty good, returning EJ Manuel.

Defense - We might have lost Greg Reid and Mike Harris in our secondary but we will still come out strong. Our defense is led up front by Preseason All American Jenkins and sack master Bjoern Werner. This is our strength.

Special Teams - Our weakness. Shawn Powell (P) is gone so starting a freshie punter. Greg Reid, a dangerous return man, kicked off the team. Joyner last year in returns wasn't the greatest when he stepped in. Hopkins returns so we still have strong leg for field goals.

9/1 Murray St - W
9/8 Savannah St - W
9/15 Wake Forest - W
9/22 Clemson - W
9/29 @USF - W
10/6 @NC St - W
10/13 Boston College - W
10/20 @Miami - W
10/27 Duke - W
11/8 @VT - W
11/17 @Maryland - W
11/24 Florida - W

Yes, I firmly believe this is the year we finally live to the hype (as long as the team stays healthy). Clemson is at home. This is the toughest game we have due to explosive offensive players like Sammy Watkins. I feel we will contain him and Boyd. VT will be another tough game but we have two weeks to prepare for them plus their offense is super questionable, losing 4 o-line men and stud David Wilson. I feel we can take them, though we won't score a ton. Florida is a shadow of its former self plus at home... forget about it. The rest of the bunch should be a cake walk. I just hope we don't sleep on say a NC State.

Louisville- Preason AP #25

Kentucky- W
Missouri State- W
North Carolina- W
@FIU- W
@So. Miss- W
@Pitt- W
USF- W
Cincinatti- W
Temple- W
@Syracuse- W
Conneticut- W
@Rutgers- W

Completely serious, not completely sure.

[quote name='blindinglights']I set up a CAG College Football Pick Em group on Yahoo. If there's enough interest I'll create a separate thread, just trying to find out if enough people want to participate.

Join here: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college/register/joingroup
Group ID#: 7912
Password: cag

If you sign up, please make your pick em name on there the same as your username here so there's no confusion. Also if you want to play, there's a few options on how we can setup the game. It allows the group to do straight pick em, pick em with confidence points, and/or pick em with spread. I can change it to whatever the consensus wants.[/QUOTE]
I joined, but I'm not sure I like the idea of having only the top 25 games. I have a feeling that our picks will only differ by 1 or 2 games a week.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I joined, but I'm not sure I like the idea of having only the top 25 games. I have a feeling that our picks will only differ by 1 or 2 games a week.[/QUOTE]

I set up a thread for the pick em here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327354

I think you're probably right about the Top 25 games, at least until they get to some tougher in-conference games.

What do you think lordopus? Add the other games?

Georgia Tech
Austin Peay
at Pittsburgh
Bowling Green
Cincinnati
at North Carolina
Duke
at Clemson
at Miami
Florida State
at Boston College
Virginia

Wishful thinking, 12 W's.

Realistically...
12 W's :D

Seriously though, I think every game on the schedule is winnable. FSU is getting so much D-Line love and I'm pretty sure ours will be just as stacked assuming everyone stays healthy.

Offense is the only question because as opus pointed out, we lost the o-line and a first round running back. However, the young receivers are better than they get credit for it's just that they're constantly being compared to the top two receivers in school history that we lost last year. We also have plenty of depth and talent at running back, it's just that nobody recognizes their names... yet. If Thomas goes into beast mode this year like a lot of people think he will, the offense might not be so questionable.

Also, the most hated man in Blacksburg, VA -- Offensive Coordinator, Bryan Stinespring -- actually had some spread sets at pratice this year. So maybe we can actually score some points when it matters and not rely solely on lights out defense.

Honestly, I think absolute worst case scenario is 9-3 regular season with losses to Clemson, FSU, and GT/UNC.

The first 120 minutes of the 2012 season:

- A fumble returned 58y in the wrong direction in the Townsen vs Kent State game.

- Blown call of pass interference in the SC vs Vandy game.

- Rice LB Cameron Nwosu became the first player to block 3 extra points in one half tonight vs UCLA.

Man, I love this game!

:bouncy:

Well K-State is starting off the season just like they did last year. They are playing a tight game against a team they should be romping. 9-6 KSU leads MO State at the half. I'm OK with it as long as the rest of the season plays out like last year. They barely beat a D-1 opponent 7-6 to start the season then they got on a roll and had a solid season.

I'm very worried about Notre Dame. I think it's going to be a tough season given the schedule with Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma, USC, etc... If our secondary has trouble stopping Navy's vaunted passing attack what the heck are we going to look like against legit passing schools?

The Big 10 is a joke. Ohio over Penn St... LOL. Michigan doesn't look better than a FCS opponent... LOL.

The others...
Northern Iowa takes Wisconsin to the wire.
Northwestern needed a miracle on Syracuse.
Iowa escapes Northern Illinois.
Minnesota goes 3OT with UNLV.
Mich St barely beat a Boise St team that no longer has its Offensive genius (UF) and replaced all of its offense and most of the defense i.e. not last years Boise St team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Le'Veon Bell is gonna be a Heisman candidate and that Spartan D is for real.

Michigan, however, is awful...Robinson just not a good QB

Shit editing because I forgot Urban "sell his soul and relationship with children for wins" Meyer is at OSU, that means they are gonna get all the fast deviant criminals to come and ruin the Big Ten

[quote name='merchie89']
Shit editing because I forgot Urban "sell his soul and relationship with children for wins" Meyer is at OSU, that means they are gonna get all the fast deviant criminals to come and ruin the Big Ten[/QUOTE]
His health got better so he decided to come back :lol: What a joke.
Track record: 31 arrests under Meyer.
The best one... Chris Rainey who couldn't take No from a girl so he stalked her and then threatened to kill her. Meyer responded by allowing him to continue playing as he doesn't care about women ;)

[quote name='merchie89'][...] I forgot Urban "sell his soul and relationship with children for wins" Meyer is at OSU, that means they are gonna get all the fast deviant criminals to come and ruin the Big Ten[/QUOTE]

The Big Ten is no stranger to criminals and they don't need Urban Meyer's help to bring them in. Maurice Clarett ring any bells?

Yahoo is failing kinda hard so early in the season. Their NCAA scoreboard on the front page won't show up, and then when I click the front page link for the UM/Bama box score, it takes me to the preview of the game.

I think I just had a heart attack.

Defense looked great, but LT has some serious rust. Hopefully he'll work on it during next week's less challenging game or else this will be a long season.

WVU offense picked up right where it left off--would have replicated the 70 points from the Orange Bowl if not for a missed extra point in beating Marshall 69-34. Had 655 total yards, 331 on the ground, 334 in the air.

Geno Smith got his Heisman campaign of to a good start: 32/36 for 323 yards with 4tds and no INTs. Also rushed for 65 yards and a td. Sat all but a minute or so of the 4th quarter.

On the downside the defense was shaky. Especially the 2nd and third string. Giving up 34 points and 545 yards to Marshall is worrisome given the great offenses in the Big 12.

That said, Oklahoma is the other top contender for the conference title, and they were very shaky and may not be much improved from last year.

WVU is off next week, and has two more easy games (James Madison and Maryland) before getting into conference play.

This weeks AP poll.

1 Alabama (45) 1-0 1481
2 USC (11) 1-0 1435
3 LSU (4) 1-0 1382
4 Oregon 1-0 1295
5 Oklahoma 1-0 1170
6 Florida State 1-0 1135
7 Georgia 1-0 1083
8 Arkansas 1-0 992
9 South Carolina 1-0 980
9 West Virginia 1-0 980
11 Michigan State 1-0 915
12 Clemson 1-0 788
13 Wisconsin 1-0 664
14 Ohio State 1-0 634
15 Virginia Tech 1-0 604
16 Nebraska 1-0 603
17 Texas 1-0 584
18 Oklahoma State 1-0 558
19 Michigan 0-1 446
20 TCU 0-0 355
21 Kansas State 1-0 339
22 Notre Dame 1-0 198
23 Louisville 1-0 190
24 Florida 1-0 145
25 Stanford 1-0 131

Michigan doesn't even deserve to be ranked. They're getting points based on program name alone.

Same thing is going on with Oklahoma being ranked above WVU.

Some upsets yesterday after a pretty boring week 1.

Biggest was Louisiana-Monroe over #8 Arkansas. Others were Oregon State over #13 Wisconsin and UCLA over #16 Nebraska, and Arizona over #18 Oklahoma State.

Surprised Rich Rod has his offense rolling in year 1 at Arizona. His offenses struggled the first year or two at WVU and Michigan until he got his system in place. But they put up 59 against Oklahoma State yesterday and while they only got 24 against Toledo last week that was mainly due to turnovers as they had over 600 yards of offense.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Some upsets yesterday after a pretty boring week 1.

Biggest was Louisiana-Monroe over #8 Arkansas. Others were Oregon State over #13 Wisconsin and UCLA over #16 Nebraska, and Arizona over #18 Oklahoma State.[/QUOTE]
No surprises with the Big 10 teams. They are jokes as the conference has been struggling this year.

Wisconsin down.
Nebraska down.
Penn St down.
Iowa down.
Illinois down.
Purdue down.
Michigan escapes Air Force
Ohio St allowed UCF to stay with them.

---------
That Arkansas game was a fun one to see. 4th and scramble for TD in OT. Brilliant! I wonder if Arkansas will be unranked end of next week since Alabama rolls in.

AP Poll

1 Alabama (48) 2-0 1486
2 USC (8) 2-0 1414
3 LSU (4) 2-0 1404
4 Oregon 2-0 1299
5 Oklahoma 2-0 1160
5 Florida State 2-0 1160
7 Georgia 2-0 1155
8 South Carolina 2-0 1025
9 West Virginia 1-0 1017
10 Michigan State 2-0 995
11 Clemson 2-0 868
12 Ohio State 2-0 772
13 Virginia Tech 2-0 734
14 Texas 2-0 716
15 Kansas State 2-0 714
16 TCU 1-0 542
17 Michigan 1-1 429
18 Florida 2-0 427
19 Louisville 2-0 316
20 Notre Dame 2-0 310
21 Stanford 2-0 260
22 UCLA 2-0 250
23 Tennessee 2-0 177
24 Arizona 2-0 149
25 Brigham Young 2-0 110

USA Today Coaches' Poll

1 Alabama (42) 2-0 1455
2 LSU (5) 2-0 1380
3 USC (11) 2-0 1363
4 Oregon (1) 2-0 1292
5 Oklahoma 2-0 1203
6 Florida State 2-0 1153
7 Georgia 2-0 1120
8 West Virginia 1-0 1024
9 South Carolina 2-0 1008
10 Michigan State 2-0 950
11 Clemson 2-0 904
12 Texas 2-0 730
13 Virginia Tech 2-0 704
14 Kansas State 2-0 696
15 TCU 1-0 649
16 Stanford 2-0 455
17 Florida 2-0 452
18 Michigan 1-1 440
19 Notre Dame 2-0 398
20 Louisville 2-0 280
21 Arkansas 1-1 246
22 Wisconsin 1-1 151
23 UCLA 2-0 147
24 Nebraska 1-1 135
25 Arizona 2-0 120

I want to throw up every time the talking heads try to make me feel badly for Penn State.

"Tough offseason..."

How about the tough lives that have been endured by all the kids that Sandusky literally violated and Paterno covered up?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8369070/sources-notre-dame-football-acc

Notre Dame is joining the ACC in all sports but football. But will play 5 games a year against ACC teams in football.

That should sure up the ACC some, and make those FSU/Clemson to the Big 12 (and teams like MD/UVA to Big 10) rumors die down for a while.

With that I guess the Big 12 will stay at 10 for the foreseeable future. They just signed a 13 year, $2.6 million dollar TV deal that required all the teams to sign their tier 1 and tier 2 media rights to the conference for those 13 years (i.e. the Big 12 gets their TV money even if they leave for another conference) so no one is going anywhere. And I don't think any of the teams they could easily get (Louisville, BYU etc.) would get the TV deal upped enough that the split per team doesn't drop from the current $20 million per team per year.

As for ND, this is probably a smart move. The 5 games will probably get them to drop some of their traditional rivals--which in a way sucks. But their current set up gives them far too difficult of schedule most years to have any realistic shot at making the BCS title game or future 4 team playoff.

[quote name='dmaul1114']As for ND, this is probably a smart move. The 5 games will probably get them to drop some of their traditional rivals--which in a way sucks. But their current set up gives them far too difficult of schedule most years to have any realistic shot at making the BCS title game or future 4 team playoff.[/QUOTE]

They keep mentioning that they will have to drop traditional rivals, but if you look at their schedule this year, they have 4 ACC opponents (counting Pitt) on their schedule already.

vs Navy
vs Purdue
@ #10 Michigan State
vs #17 Michigan
vs Miami (FL)
vs #21 Stanford
vs #25 Brigham Young
@ #5 Oklahoma
vs Pittsburgh
@ Boston College
vs Wake Forest
@ #2 USC

I don't think 5 games will be too difficult while keeping all of the big rivalries.

Oh, good point in that case. That may be why they opted for the ACC over the Big 12 that was also rumored to be ok with them coming in with only a partial football schedule.

At least gets BC and Pitt who they play most years in conference, and some other teams they're playing currently (and presumably over the next few years).

I'm all for them keeping playing Mich. State, Michigan, USC, Stanford, etc. every year, as I can't stand ND and they'll continue to be irrelevant on those kind of schedules as they can't recruit at that level anymore with their diminished reputation and tougher admission standards than most big time football programs.

[quote name='dmaul1114']http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8369070/sources-notre-dame-football-acc

Notre Dame is joining the ACC in all sports but football. But will play 5 games a year against ACC teams in football.

That should sure up the ACC some, and make those FSU/Clemson to the Big 12 (and teams like MD/UVA to Big 10) rumors die down for a while.

With that I guess the Big 12 will stay at 10 for the foreseeable future. They just signed a 13 year, $2.6 million dollar TV deal that required all the teams to sign their tier 1 and tier 2 media rights to the conference for those 13 years (i.e. the Big 12 gets their TV money even if they leave for another conference) so no one is going anywhere. And I don't think any of the teams they could easily get (Louisville, BYU etc.) would get the TV deal upped enough that the split per team doesn't drop from the current $20 million per team per year.

As for ND, this is probably a smart move. The 5 games will probably get them to drop some of their traditional rivals--which in a way sucks. But their current set up gives them far too difficult of schedule most years to have any realistic shot at making the BCS title game or future 4 team playoff.[/QUOTE]

This is probably great news for L'ville if the BIG12 decides to expand. They were hoping to land ND but L'ville makes a lot of sense. The Big East is pretty much dead. I hope Rutgers finds a way off this sinking ship. Also, the ACC is now the premier BBall conference in the country.

bread's done
Back