Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

Cincy knocked off VT 27-24.

Big East not looking as awful as expected with Louisville and Cincy both looking solid. Shame the leaders didn't have the power to just boot the basketball only schools and add the new members they got to what they already had before last years raids. Would have been a solid league if they could have kept WVU, TCU, Cincy and Cuse and brought in teams like Boise, Houston, SMU etc. for an East/West conference.

The D players and coaches for WVU and Baylor should be ashamed of their selves. The O players and coaches on the other hand executed brilliantly!

Congrats to the Buckeyes for pulling out a hard fought win against Sparty! Defense really showed up today.

Le'Veon Bell was hit within two yards of the line of scrimmage on 15 of his 17 rushes against Ohio State. Entering Saturday, Bell made it more than two yards past the line before being hit on 48 of his 117 rushes (41 percent).

Le'Veon Bell failed to rush for a first down for the first time since his freshman season. The longest run that Bell could muster against Ohio State's defense was an eight yard rush in the second quarter as Ohio State held Bell to three rushes that gained five or more yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate montee ball. Seriously hate him. I wish he would have went pro so wisconsins only option wasn't "hand the ball to montee, get two yards". I hope Nebraska ends up beating them today so I can rant more to my coworkers monday.

At this point, I'd gladly suffer through a sub .500 season if it meant Beamer would shake up his coaching staff. The addition of his son was good because he's a strong recruiter (showed that at S. Carolina under Spurrier) and it seems like he could help break his father's approach of going after lesser talent and then developing them when there's no reason why they can't draw in some better classes. However, I don't think that's enough.

With the exception of Shane (who is also the running backs coach), Beamer needs to just fire the entire offensive coaching staff. We have an offensive coordinator who sucks so bad, Beamer had to let the quarterbacks coach take over calling the plays last year. That should say it all right there.

The two of them are making watching the games this year painful. It's obvious that they're trying to catch up with the times by throwing in spread, pistol, and read option with their more traditional stuff, but they just end up being all over the damn place and never allowing the offense to develop an identity. The most frustrating part is that every time they seem to get something working, they move completely away from it to try something different. Logan Thomas has took a step back this year, but I have to wonder if it's from the coaches trying to make him run 3 or 4 different offenses with so much youth around him on the offensive side of the ball.

Texas managed to pull it out after all setting up a big matchup with WV next week.
Georgia visiting S. Carolina next weekend will also be a big one.

Shame the 4 team playoff doesn't start this year. Looks to be a year where we could end up with multiple unbeatens as the top 25 seems pretty top heavy this year with a pretty big drop off after the top 10 or 12 teams.

Hard to seen the SEC champ not being unbeaten (Alabama, LSU, UGA, USC). FSU has a great chance to run the table since the ACC sucks ass, Florida will be their toughest game. Oregon has a great chance to win out in the Pac 10. The Big 12 champ could be unbeaten (Texas, WVU, K-State). Hell, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Big East camp end up unbeaten (Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers) though with the weak schedules they wouldn't be a factor even with a playoff.

Finally some big games tomorrow.

Ranked matchups:

#5 UGA @ #6 South Carolina
#4 LSU @ #10 Florida
#8 WVU @ # 11 Texas
#12 OSU @ #21 Nebraska
#2 Oregon @ #23 Washington

Oklahoma @ Texas Tech could be good as well, TT still unbeaten and has a strong defense.

Looking forward to the WV - Texas game to see what Geno Smith does against an actual defense. I know he put up Playstation numbers last week and everyone has pretty much awarded him the Heisman but let's see what he does against a legit Big 12 defense. People seem to forget they barely beat Maryland.

Man our(Notre Dame's) win against Michigan State is not looking so great now.

Some good games today, with also some upsets.

-#24 Northwestern loses to Penn State after finally being ranked for the first time in four years
-#11 Florida beats LSU
-#15 TCU loses to Iowa St. after Casey Pachall misses the game due to a suspension for a DUI
-#18 Stanford pulls a win out of their asses in OT after being down 14 in the 4th

WVU takes care of Texas 48-45. Our defense is awful, but I'm not sure there's anyone who can outscore us as long as our key talent stays healthy.

Smith only goes for 268 yards n 25/35 passing. But 4 TDs and no Ints. 24 TDs and no Ints on the Season. And as a plus Buie (our 2nd string RB) got 207 yards rushing. If we can have a running game to supplement our passing game, will be tough to stop us going forward.

Tough schedule for WVU remaining for sure. But K State and Oklahoma are at home.

[quote name='dmaul1114']WVU takes care of Texas 48-45. Our defense is awful, but I'm not sure there's anyone who can outscore us as long as our key talent stays healthy.

Smith only goes for 268 yards n 25/35 passing. But 4 TDs and no Ints. 24 TDs and no Ints on the Season. And as a plus Buie (our 2nd string RB) got 207 yards rushing. If we can have a running game to supplement our passing game, will be tough to stop us going forward.

Tough schedule for WVU remaining for sure. But K State and Oklahoma are at home.[/QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see what K-State does against WVU. Bill Snyder always seems to come up with a gameplan. My fear is that KSU doesn't have a prolific offense. If WVU is able to hang a quick 14 pts I don't think the wildcats will recover.

Notre Dame took care of business tonight against "The U" although that would have been a much different game had Miami not had a bad case of the drops.

Now we enter another tough stretch. Stanford, BYU, Oklahoma. It will be interesting to see if we can keep this going. Who would've thought Notre Dame would go three entire games without giving up a TD? And it's not like they did it against powerpuffs that teams like Florida State scheduled to start the season. These were REAL opponents!

fuck yeah, NC State takes down FSU. Was worried about them fucking up title shots since ACC sucks. Title game currently is really between Alabama/USC out of SEC, Oregon and WVU/K State out of Big 12.

UGA and LSU also going down means WVU moves up 4 spots. Should be #5 in the polls. Have to go to Texas Tech next week, then showdown with K-State in Morgantown.

[quote name='Chitown021']It will be interesting to see what K-State does against WVU. Bill Snyder always seems to come up with a gameplan. My fear is that KSU doesn't have a prolific offense. If WVU is able to hang a quick 14 pts I don't think the wildcats will recover.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that. WVU only loses to someone who can outscore us, or a dominant defensive team like Alabama who can shut us down.

Looking forward to that KSU at WVU matchup, could be the highest point totals ever! Good win for the Mountaineers tonight, with a functioning ground game added the WV offense is flat out ridiculous. Georgia forgot to show up against the Gamecocks, SC beat them from pillar to post. Their matchup with Florida could go a long way in determining the top team in the SEC Eastern half.

Looks like the Big Ten champion will have a minimum of two losses, perhaps more. The Buckeyes seem to have accepted playing conference spoiler with gusto as they continue to beat up on the others. Glad to see my Wolverines take care of Purdue, also glad to see Robinson finally complete a game without throwing an INT. Notre Dame won again, setting up a nice contest with Stanford next week.

Holy Crap! Florida State just lost to NC State after failing to score in the entire second half. The Wolfpack got the go ahead TD with 16 seconds left in the game, what a blow to FSU. Assuming Oregon wins tonight I'd hope the AP poll will look like this:
  1. Alabama
  2. Oregon
  3. S.Carolina
  4. W.Virgina
  5. K.State
  6. N.Dame
  7. Florida
  8. Ohio St.
  9. USC
  10. Oregon St.

[quote name='dmaul1114']WVU takes care of Texas 48-45. Our defense is awful, but I'm not sure there's anyone who can outscore us as long as our key talent stays healthy.

Smith only goes for 268 yards n 25/35 passing. But 4 TDs and no Ints. 24 TDs and no Ints on the Season. [/QUOTE]

Don't forget the two fumbles in the UT red zone.

Screw my team. After halftime, our team didn't have fire in their eyes. We became compliance and obviously lost because of it. I saw on NC State's bench after halftime and those guys had killer instinct. Fisher is uninspiring, Manuel is night/day... all this talent and we are the same team every year losing to a mediocre team. I don't care about losses to Oklahoma, etc but NC State... fuck that!

Let's see all the coaching blunders...
- 3rd and 2 in FG range, and go into shotgun for a sack (out of range); a normal coach calls a run up the middle with a powerback.
- Thompson (our small/fast back) struggles in the second half. Instead of going to the rested Bruiser back i.e. James Wilder Jr, we continue to try and pound with the smaller tired runningback; a normal coach uses all his weapons.
- Miami had 500+ throwing yards against NC State but yet we didn't throw the ball much at all in the second half; a normal coach exploits a secondary that a week prior gave up tons of yards.

I'm still pumped about WVU's win. Maybe the biggest road win in program history, other than maybe an upset at Oklahoma in the early 80s when Nehlen was just starting to build WVU into a national contender. Biggest crowd WVU has ever played before with over 101,000 there last night, and they didn't flinch.

Offense showed balance, actually ran the ball more than passing it. Shows we can run the ball (even without our starting RB who was still out with injury) when teams focus on trying to shut down the pass. Defense still struggled, but got some key stops when needed this time, after getting pretty much no key stops last week. And the team showed a lot of killer instinct in big situations--i.e. went for it on 4th down 5 times and go the first down all 5 times.

Hope they stay focused next week though, as that game at Texas Tech is a classic trap game being sandwiched in between UT last night and K-State the week after.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lordopus99']Screw my team. After halftime, our team didn't have fire in their eyes. We became compliance and obviously lost because of it. I saw on NC State's bench after halftime and those guys had killer instinct. Fisher is uninspiring, Manuel is night/day... all this talent and we are the same team every year losing to a mediocre team. I don't care about losses to Oklahoma, etc but NC State... fuck that!

Let's see all the coaching blunders...
- 3rd and 2 in FG range, and go into shotgun for a sack (out of range); a normal coach calls a run up the middle with a powerback.
- Thompson (our small/fast back) struggles in the second half. Instead of going to the rested Bruiser back i.e. James Wilder Jr, we continue to try and pound with the smaller tired runningback; a normal coach uses all his weapons.
- Miami had 500+ throwing yards against NC State but yet we didn't throw the ball much at all in the second half; a normal coach exploits a secondary that a week prior gave up tons of yards.[/QUOTE]

At a certain point you guys are going to get used to this. NC State always plays FSU tough. Plus they always play better the second half of the season and were projected to be a 10 win team at the start of the year.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm still pumped about WVU's win. Maybe the biggest road win in program history, other than maybe an upset at Oklahoma in the early 80s when Nehlen was just starting to build WVU into a national contender. Biggest crowd WVU has ever played before with over 101,000 there last night, and they didn't flinch.

Offense showed balance, actually ran the ball more than passing it. Shows we can run the ball (even without our starting RB who was still out with injury) when teams focus on trying to shut down the pass. Defense still struggled, but got some key stops when needed this time, after getting pretty much no key stops last week. And showed a lot of killer instinct in big situations--i.e. went for it on 4th down 5 times and go the first down all 5 times.

Hope they stay focused next week though, as that game at Texas Tech is a classic trap game being sandwiched in between UT last night and K-State the week after.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was an impressive win especially on the road. Honestly going into that game I was kinda rooting for Texas because I thought WVU and Geno Smith got way too much hype last week. Yeah they scored 70 but they allowed Baylor to hang 63 on them. That and the fact they had only beaten Maryland by 10. All of the writers were acting like the Heisman race was over and you might as well just give him the trophy now. They did an awesome job against a legit (but somewhat struggling as of late) Texas defense. I thought as soon as they played a Big 12 team with a real defense they would be exposed. So far they've proven me wrong.

The KSU-WVU matchup will be a huge one in a couple weeks assuming both teams stay undefeated and don't slip up. Iowa State is coming off a big win over TCU and always seems to play KSU tough (Farmageddon!). That could easily be a trap game.

Kansas State did get somewhat screwed in the scheduling this year. All of their big games are on the road with the exception of Texas.

Hey Mizzou, how's that move to the SEC working out for ya? Yeah, the Big 12 is still here stronger than ever and you guys still haven't posted a conference win. M-I-Z 0-&-3!

AP Poll

1 Alabama (60) 5-0 1500
2 Oregon 6-0 1435
3 South Carolina 6-0 1359
4 Florida 5-0 1265
5 West Virginia 5-0 1260
6 Kansas State 5-0 1217
7 Notre Dame 5-0 1176
8 Ohio State 6-0 1053
9 LSU 5-1 938
10 Oregon State 4-0 873
11 USC 4-1 812
12 Florida State 5-1 800
13 Oklahoma 3-1 756
14 Georgia 5-1 733
15 Texas 4-1 711
16 Clemson 5-1 657
17 Stanford 4-1 587
18 Louisville 5-0 494
19 Mississippi State 5-0 450
20 Rutgers 5-0 331
21 Cincinnati 4-0 205
22 Texas A&M 4-1 153
23 Louisiana Tech 5-0 129
24 Boise State 4-1 114
25 Michigan 3-2 82

Coach's Poll

1 Alabama (58) 5-0 1,474 1
2 Oregon (1) 6-0 1,411 2
3 South Carolina 6-0 1,345 6
4 West Virginia 5-0 1,296 7
5 Kansas State 5-0 1,216 8
6 Florida 5-0 1,165 11
7 Notre Dame 5-0 1,152 10
8 LSU 5-1 961 3
9 USC 4-1 940 12
10 Oklahoma 3-1 872 14
11 Florida State 5-1 819 4
12 Georgia 5-1 761 5
13 Clemson 5-1 759 15
14 Oregon State 4-0 691 17
15 Texas 4-1 663 9
16 Louisville 5-0 628 16
17 Stanford 4-1 577 18
18 Mississippi State 5-0 558 19
19 Rutgers 5-0 410 21
20 Cincinnati 4-0 365 23
21 Texas A&M 4-1 208 NR
22 Boise State 4-1 197 25
23 TCU 4-1 194 13
24 Louisiana Tech 5-0 131 NR
25 Iowa State 4-1 73 NR

Six of the 10 Big 12 schools are ranked in the coach's poll.

[quote name='bobble_bubble']OMG... My Irish have a defense! No TDs allowed in 3 games.[/QUOTE]

No kidding! Coming into this season I was just hoping we'd improve enough to hold opponents to 20 points to give our offense an chance!

It's been impressive so far but that young secondary worries me. Our front line has been hiding some of the blemishes by getting so much pressure on opposing QB's. If we run into a team that can pass block they're going to be tested.

We got extremely lucky last night that Miami dropped the ball. If they go up 7-0 like they should have that ballgame might have gone differently.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Did I hear right last night that Notre Dame hasn't trailed in a game all season?[/QUOTE]

That's probably right. The only game I can think of that we might've fallen behind in was Purdue but it might just be that they tied us before we kicked the game winning FG.

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah that was an impressive win especially on the road. Honestly going into that game I was kinda rooting for Texas because I thought WVU and Geno Smith got way too much hype last week. Yeah they scored 70 but they allowed Baylor to hang 63 on them. That and the fact they had only beaten Maryland by 10. All of the writers were acting like the Heisman race was over and you might as well just give him the trophy now. They did an awesome job against a legit (but somewhat struggling as of late) Texas defense. I thought as soon as they played a Big 12 team with a real defense they would be exposed. So far they've proven me wrong.[/QUOTE]

Geno doesn't play on defense man. The Heisman is supposed to be an individual award. He means a lot to that team and unlike the other contenders, he's yet to slip up in a game. As it stands, it's his to lose.

[quote name='blindinglights']Geno doesn't play on defense man. The Heisman is supposed to be an individual award. He means a lot to that team and unlike the other contenders, he's yet to slip up in a game. As it stands, it's his to lose.[/QUOTE]

I know but my point was that the stats aren't as impressive IMHO because he racked them up against a team that wasn't even trying to play defense. It's like calling someone a Heisman winner after running it up on Furman and Holy Cross. Now that he's done it against a stronger opponent it gives his stats more validity.

Well, I thought W.Viginia should jump K.State but I really didn't think Florida would move up as high as they did.
I guess the AP pollsters feel that LSU is better than I do.

[quote name='Chitown021']I know but my point was that the stats aren't as impressive IMHO because he racked them up against a team that wasn't even trying to play defense. It's like calling someone a Heisman winner after running it up on Furman and Holy Cross. Now that he's done it against a stronger opponent it gives his stats more validity.[/QUOTE]

His yardage and total tds are inflated from they Baylor game.

But what's most impressive is his completion percentage (81.4%- 166/204), having 24 TDs and 0 INTs and his QB rating (202.4).

Those are just crazy given how much he's thrown, and how many of the passes are down field rather than short screens etc.

[quote name='chuckie88']Well, I thought W.Viginia should jump K.State but I really didn't think Florida would move up as high as they did.
I guess the AP pollsters feel that LSU is better than I do.[/QUOTE]

It's the SEC bias. Just like the Notre Dame bias (yes, I'm a huge fan but admit the pollsters are idiots most years and rank us when we don't deserve it or haven't proven it).

Honestly I'm surprised that the pollsters are giving Kansas State this much credit. Typically the kids from the Little Apple get shit on in the polls.

Not a ton of ranked match ups this weekend, but still some big games and some potential trap games for ranked teams.

#3 SC @ #9 LSU
#17 Stanford @ #7 ND
#15 Texas @ #13 Oklahoma
#22 Texas A&M @ #23 Lousiana Tech
#5 WVU @ Texas Tech
#6 Kansas State @ Iowa State (they're ranked in Coach's poll)
#10 Oregon State @ BYU

I doubt it. Not going to jump a 1 loss team ahead of unbeaten ND in that case.

I'm hoping LSU wins though and SC beats Florida next week. Then all the SEC East teams have a loss, and can play spoiler for Alabama in the SEC title game. Would be nice to have a shot at a title game without an SEC team for once.

Oregon vs. WVU or K-State (if one of them win out) would be an exciting matchup.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I doubt it. Not going to jump a 1 loss team ahead of unbeaten ND in that case.

I'm hoping LSU wins though and SC beats Florida next week. Then all the SEC East teams have a loss, and can play spoiler for Alabama in the SEC title game. Would be nice to have a shot at a title game without an SEC team for once.

Oregon vs. WVU or K-State (if one of them win out) would be an exciting matchup.[/QUOTE]

I think at this point 'Bama is a shoe-in. Everyone else is fighting for that other spot. I would love for WVU to be the other team.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I doubt it. Not going to jump a 1 loss team ahead of unbeaten ND in that case.

Oregon vs. WVU or K-State (if one of them win out) would be an exciting matchup.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bet on a one loss SEC East team being left out of the championship game just because Oregon and a Big 12 team are undefeated.

Not that I agree with it, but still.

[quote name='blindinglights']I wouldn't bet on a one loss SEC East team being left out of the championship game just because Oregon and a Big 12 team are undefeated.

Not that I agree with it, but still.[/QUOTE]

I don't see an 1 loss SEC team getting in over an unbeaten Oregon or Big 12 team. They'd definitely get in over those teams if those teams also had 1 loss.

But if they're unbeaten they'd be ahead of the SEC team in the human polls, and probably in the computer part of the BCS too as they'd all have pretty tough schedules. I mean 6 out of 10 Big 12 teams are ranked in the Coach's poll currently.

Just no way unbeaten major conference teams get left out in favor of 1 loss teams. With equal records the SEC champ definitely gets in most years (though Auburn did get left out in 2004). But the bias isn't such that they'd get in over unbeaten Pac 10/Big 12 champs.

As for Alabama being a shoo in, I wouldn't go that far. I think LSU, SC and Florida would all have a shot at taking them down in the season/SEC title game.

Oregon or WVU could have a chance in a title game as well just from being so explosive on offense. Especially Oregon since they have a solid defense to go with it for once.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't see an 1 loss SEC team getting in over an unbeaten Oregon or Big 12 team. They'd definitely get in over those teams if those teams also had 1 loss.

But if they're unbeaten they'd be ahead of the SEC team in the human polls, and probably in the computer part of the BCS too as they'd all have pretty tough schedules. I mean 6 out of 10 Big 12 teams are ranked in the Coach's poll currently.

Just no way unbeaten major conference teams get left out in favor of 1 loss teams. With equal records the SEC champ definitely gets in most years (though Auburn did get left out in 2004). But the bias isn't such that they'd get in over unbeaten Pac 10/Big 12 champs.

As for Alabama being a shoo in, I wouldn't go that far. I think LSU, SC and Florida would all have a shot at taking them down in the season/SEC title game.

Oregon or WVU could have a chance in a title game as well just from being so explosive on offense. Especially Oregon since they have a solid defense to go with it for once.[/QUOTE]

I agree that there is no way a 1 loss SEC team jumps two undefeated big conferrence teams. However if they have all lost a game SEC wins out.

Another team worth paying attention to is ND. ND is the wild card this year. If all of the aforementioned teams go undefeated they might be able to jump Oregon and WVU.

[quote name='kill3r7']
Another team worth paying attention to is ND. ND is the wild card this year. If all of the aforementioned teams go undefeated they might be able to jump Oregon and WVU.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. They're schedule isn't as tough since Michigan and Michigan State are down, and Standford and USC a bit as well (particularly if both lose to Oregon and/or Oregon State).

But probably moot as I figure ND at least loses to Oklahoma, and may go down to Standford or USC as well.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I doubt it. They're schedule isn't as tough since Michigan and Michigan State are down, and Standford and USC a bit as well (particularly if both lose to Oregon and/or Oregon State).

But probably moot as I figure ND at least loses to Oklahoma, and may go down to Standford or USC as well.[/QUOTE]

They're Notre Dame. You'll see the polls shift in their favor if they keep it up. As far as their odds of going undefeated... well they're about as good as WVU or Oregon.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't see an 1 loss SEC team getting in over an unbeaten Oregon or Big 12 team. They'd definitely get in over those teams if those teams also had 1 loss.

Just no way unbeaten major conference teams get left out in favor of 1 loss teams. With equal records the SEC champ definitely gets in most years (though Auburn did get left out in 2004). But the bias isn't such that they'd get in over unbeaten Pac 10/Big 12 champs.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I like it, but if a 1-loss Florida or South Carolina beats #1 Alabama (who remains undefeated at that point) in the SEC Championship game I guarantee you will hear all the talking heads go on an on about "the SEC gauntlet" and the poll voters will eat it all up.

Have you forgotten last year already? A 1-loss Big 12 team was snubbed in favor of a 1-loss SEC team, a 1-loss SEC team that already lost to the other team who was going to the national title game. Let's not pretend that an undefeated Pac-12 and Big-12 team will suddenly make the SEC favoritism, which they've earned, go away.

My guess is that the Pac-12 team would get the shaft, since beating USC twice doesn't look as impressive as it would have for Oregon and Oregon State just wouldn't get as much love in the polls.

bread's done
Back