Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

[quote name='blindinglights']I wouldn't bet on a one loss SEC East team being left out of the championship game just because Oregon and a Big 12 team are undefeated.

Not that I agree with it, but still.[/QUOTE]
That would require Oregon or a Big 12 team going undefeated. Oregon has to beat @USC, Stanford, and @Oregon State could play the spoiler. If they make that, they then most likely face USC again.

As for the Big 12...
- West Virginia will lose. Offense can only carry them so far. No defense will be their downfall.
- Kansas State. I am not sold on.

The rest of the undefeated teams...
- The SEC can only have 1.
- ND's road sees 3 more ranked teams. This week's matchup against Stanford should show how real ND is this season.
- Big East team. Too low ranked to move up. My guess Louisville should end undefeated.
- Louisana Tech. They are a midmajor. Forget about it.

So in all... My guess is an undefeated SEC team will be facing the best 1 loss team.

[quote name='lordopus99']That would require Oregon or a Big 12 team going undefeated. Oregon has to beat @USC, Stanford, and @Oregon State could play the spoiler. If they make that, they then most likely face USC again.

As for the Big 12...
- West Virginia will lose. Offense can only carry them so far. No defense will be their downfall.
- Kansas State. I am not sold on.

The rest of the undefeated teams...
- The SEC can only have 1.
- ND's road sees 3 more ranked teams. This week's matchup against Stanford should show how real ND is this season.
- Big East team. Too low ranked to move up. My guess Louisville should end undefeated.
- Louisana Tech. They are a midmajor. Forget about it.

So in all... My guess is an undefeated SEC team will be facing the best 1 loss team.[/QUOTE]

As a very long Oregon fan, the only "threats" I see left on the schedule are USC and ASU. I'll be worried about OSU if they continue to surprise folks, but for now, I'm not sold.

ASU on the road on a Thursday is not something I welcome considering what happened in 2007. But if we can get by that, and if we get by it easily, I'll feel better about USC. I only really see ASU as a "threat" because of a particular terrible moment in '07, bad mojo.

But, my friends have been talking about it since before the season started and pretty much the consensus was that USC is/was our only threat in the Pac-12. Despite some of their inconsistent play, they still are still the only team we think can beat Oregon. USC could lose every game leading up to that showdown and I still wouldn't be surprised if we lost. USC WILL step up to play us in the Coliseum. I was there last year in person to watch Oregon completely blow the first half and come up with too little too late in the second half. I know it's not the same time, but it's still USC. No one wants to play them.

You also give Stanford way too much credit, they're not a real test for ND. Not to use transitive property too much, but Stanford BARELY beat AZ in a game they had no business winning, and got bounced by UW in Seattle. Oregon TROUNCED both teams.

[quote name='blindinglights']
Have you forgotten last year already? A 1-loss Big 12 team was snubbed in favor of a 1-loss SEC team, a 1-loss SEC team that already lost to the other team who was going to the national title game. Let's not pretend that an undefeated Pac-12 and Big-12 team will suddenly make the SEC favoritism, which they've earned, go away.
[/QUOTE]

I already agreed that the SEC champ would 100% get over a Big 12/Pac 12 champ with an equal record.

But there's no way a 12-1 SEC champ gets in over a 13-0 Pac 12 champ or a 12-0 Big 12 champ.

That just won't happen. No major conference champ has ran the table and gotten snubbed by a 1 loss team in the history of the BCS. The pollsters aren't going to vote a 1 loss SEC team ahead of unbeaten Oregon or WVU/K-State, and they'd be behind in the computers as well due to the loss and strength of schedule being pretty comparable as the Big 12 and Pac 12 are both pretty strong this year.

As for what teams can run the table, it's still too early to know.

Alabama has the best shot. But they're not invincible.

WVU I agree is a bit of a long shot due to the lack of defense. My season prediction was 10-2--but that was factoring a loss at Texas. So I think 11-1 is a good bet now. 12-0 requires the defense to improve. Good news is the run defense is ok (Texas only got like 135 on the ground), and other than OK State and Oklahoma they're mostly done with pass heavy teams.

K-State I'm not totally sold on either. I don't know that they can outscore WVU. They're defense may slow us down some, but they're a run heavy team and our run defense is ok. I think they can beat everyone else in the Big 12 though since they've already beat OK State.

Oregon has a good chance of winning out since they have a decent defense to go with their offense for once. But still have a tough slate remaining.

ND I'm not sold on at all. They're overrated from beating some big name Big 10 teams who frankly just aren't very good this year. Stanford, USC and Oklahoma will give us a better sense of how good they are. I think they probably drop 2 out of 3 of those.

Big East is irrelevant, but I don't think anyone wins out. I think Cincy, Rutgers, Louisville will beat each other up and they'll all have at least one loss.

[quote name='dmaul1114']But there's no way a 12-1 SEC champ gets in over a 13-0 Pac 12 champ or a 12-0 Big 12 champ.

That just won't happen. No major conference champ has ran the table and gotten snubbed by a 1 loss team in the history of the BCS. The pollsters aren't going to vote a 1 loss SEC team ahead of unbeaten Oregon or WVU/K-State, and they'd be behind in the computers as well due to the loss and strength of schedule being pretty comparable as the Big 12 and Pac 12 are both pretty strong this year.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I agree that things should be as you wrote, but I'm not confident that it's anywhere near as definite at that.

If poll voters are trying to pick a #2 team at the end of conference championship week and they're looking at 12-1 Florida who just beat a previously 12-0 #1 Alabama in the SEC Championship Game against 13-0 Oregon who just beat a 10-3 USC that wasn't as good as everyone thought for the second time, I don't think it's really as clear as you and I both would like it to be. Especially if Oregon didn't absolutely destroy USC in both meetings and if USC doesn't win all of their other games with serious style points.

Lots of those poll voters do not watch all the games, but I guarantee you that they will watch HOURS of Kirk Herbstreit and his ESPN buddies going on and on about how the SEC is the most dominant conference and how winning the SEC championship should basically be a push button ticket to the national title game.

I can only hope it would be 12-0 Big 12 champ versus 13-0 Pac-12 champ if the SEC champion is 12-1, but I definitely wouldn't bet good money on it given what we've seen over the last few years.

[quote name='dmaul1114']...there's no way a 12-1 SEC champ gets in over a 13-0 Pac 12 champ or a 12-0 Big 12 champ...[/QUOTE]
I agree wholeheartedly.
[quote name='dmaul1114'] ...As for what teams can run the table, it's still too early to know...[/QUOTE]
One team you forgot to mention that actually has a real shot at finishing without a loss is Ohio. The Bobcats hail from the lowly MAC so I don't expect crazy amounts of BCS love but with the hardest part of their schedule behind them and a potential conference title game, they have a real chance of getting to 13-0.

Again, just no way a 1 loss team gets in over major conference unbeaten teams. Just no way pollsters vote them up, and definitely no way they're higher in the computer rankings.

I didn't forget Ohio, just didn't bother mentioning them since they're a MAC team. Hell, I wouldn't have mentioned the Big East teams if not for WVU having been stuck in there for a long time. :D

Does make that win look less impressive. But no biggie if we keep winning. Will just make OU's trip to Morgantown in November even bigger if they're rolling and only have the 1 loss still at that point.

[quote name='blindinglights']Don't get me wrong, I agree that things should be as you wrote, but I'm not confident that it's anywhere near as definite at that.

If poll voters are trying to pick a #2 team at the end of conference championship week and they're looking at 12-1 Florida who just beat a previously 12-0 #1 Alabama in the SEC Championship Game against 13-0 Oregon who just beat a 10-3 USC that wasn't as good as everyone thought for the second time, I don't think it's really as clear as you and I both would like it to be. Especially if Oregon didn't absolutely destroy USC in both meetings and if USC doesn't win all of their other games with serious style points.

Lots of those poll voters do not watch all the games, but I guarantee you that they will watch HOURS of Kirk Herbstreit and his ESPN buddies going on and on about how the SEC is the most dominant conference and how winning the SEC championship should basically be a push button ticket to the national title game.

I can only hope it would be 12-0 Big 12 champ versus 13-0 Pac-12 champ if the SEC champion is 12-1, but I definitely wouldn't bet good money on it given what we've seen over the last few years.[/QUOTE]

Herbstreit is a big proponent of the Pac-12 and Oregon. He's given us more love than any other analyst the past couple of years. Also to be honest, the past 6 years, it is a push button ticket to the title game if you do win the SEC. I hate the attitude the SEC fans have, but they have history on their side.

WVU is sucking. Defense struggling, offense not clicking as well as usual, terrible decision to go for it in fourth down on the 18 instead of kicking the field goal etc.

Notre Dame is trailing for the first time all season. We'll see how they respond. They've had a couple turnovers now (fumble in the endzone to give Stanford the lead). Shades of 2011. I hope they don't go into the tank because of it.

EDIT: D'oh! Botched snap on the FG attempt after a nice drive....

Just an awful, embarrassing performance. WVU will lose at least two or three more. No defense and now teams have game film on how to slow the offense.

Notre Dame just escaped with one. Looked like the ball was clearly touching the plane and even if not it was fumbled and recovered in the end zone by a Stanford player.

[quote name='blindinglights']Notre Dame just escaped with one. Looked like the ball was clearly touching the plane and even if not it was fumbled and recovered in the end zone by a Stanford player.[/QUOTE]

Make up for the "Bush push" many moons ago?

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Make up for the "Bush push" many moons ago?[/QUOTE]
I was thinking that too, that call could have easily given ND a loss today.
I suppose it's better for my Wolverines (BCS wise) that they won though.

Wow, last week's game between WV and Texas looked a lot better before both of them got absolutely pasted today. KState won again though so the Big 12 still has a team that will be in the AP top 5.

Wow what a nutty day in college football. I know there have been some things said about Texas Tech being a much improved defense this year but I never expected them to hold West Virginia to 14 pts! I also didn't expect Texas to get totally romped in the Red River Shootout. Oklahoma seems to be playing pissed off since they lost to Kansas State. Not a good thing since Notre Dame has to play them in a couple weeks.

Also speaking of Notre Dame I think we did get a gift today and yes, that makes up for the "Bush Push" non-call :). I was shocked they didn't overturn it after the replay. The only thing I could think of was that they blew the play dead before the RB twisted around and broke the play although if that were the case then they couldn't review the play.

To me that seemed to be what happened . Notre Dame got the initial push, had him stopped, the ref came running in signaling no TD, the Irish went nuts, and then the back laid across the goal line.

I though Kelly was a puss for not going for the TD in regulation. They had time, just tell the QB to take a quick look and if nothing is there launch it into the stands out the back of the endzone. I really thought Stanford had the momentum and would beat us if the game went into OT.

[quote name='chuckie88']Well LSU just beat S.Carolina.

I'd project top 5 to be:
  1. Alabama
  2. Oregon
  3. Florida
  4. K.State
  5. N.Dame
[/QUOTE]

I agree except I think Notre Dame should jump Kansas State based on the quality of the win. They both won but Notre Dame had the more challenging opponent. Next week, assuming they both won, they should switch back because WVU is/will be ranked but BYU isn't/won't be.

ND did have a more challenging opponent but they also won in overtime on what most would consider a controversial decision by the replay official. I agree that K.State would deserve to be above them if they both win next week. My thoughts are that K.State stays ahead right now, especially because they play W.Virginia next week. If they lose, they drop. If they win, their position is made valid. If Florida takes out S.Carolina next week, they will be firmly in third.

[quote name='chuckie88']ND did have a more challenging opponent but they also won in overtime on what most would consider a wrong decision by the replay official. I agree that K.State would deserve to be above them if they both win next week. My thoughts are that K.State stays ahead right now, especially because they play W.Virginia next week. If they lose, they drop. If they win, their position is made valid. If Florida takes out S.Carolina next week, they will be firmly in third.[/QUOTE]

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, Stanford got screwed.

[quote name='Genocidal']I agree that was a touchdown, but Stanford still had to score again, which wasn't a guarantee to happen.[/QUOTE]

Right, but they were wrongly denied the chance to win the game.

Pac-12 officiating continues to be laughably bad. I speak as a long, long time fan of Oregon and proponent of the Pac-12 (generally)

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Right, but they were wrongly denied the chance to win the game.

Pac-12 officiating continues to be laughably bad. I speak as a long, long time fan of Oregon and proponent of the Pac-12 (generally)[/QUOTE]

Did Stanford get screwed on the call? Yes. Sometimes that's what happens when a game is that close on the end. Yeah it's unfortunate but at the same time they should not have let the game go to overtime. They should have scored more points in regulation and won it there. Don't miss the chip shot FG in the first quarter. Or they should have stopped ND from scoring a TD on their OT possession. They has us backed up and in a third and long before Rees converted the 1st down. Stop us there and we're kicking a long FG with a so/so kicker. Don't clobber Goldson to get a roughing penalty and extend our drive. Or maybe you try something besides four straight running plays right up the middle. The point is they had MANY opportunities to change the outcome of this game but didn't. Saying Stanford was screwed out of a chance to win the game is simply not true.

I said the same thing about the "Bush Push" game a few years back. At first I was pissed because we got screwed but then again it was our own fault that it came down to a controversial goal line play. A few plays before that we had USC in a 4th and 10 but then we let Leinert get a long pass completion down the sideline to keep the game going. Notre Dame stops them there and there's no such thing as the "Bush Push" play.

Last edited by a moderator:
AP Top 25 has been published:
(undefeated teams in italics)
  1. Alabama 6-0
  2. Oregon 6-0
  3. Florida 6-0
  4. K.State 6-0
  5. N.Dame 6-0
  6. LSU 6-1
  7. Ohio St. 7-0
  8. Oregon St. 6-0
  9. S. Carolina 6-1
  10. Oklahoma 4-1
  11. USC 5-1
  12. Florida St. 6-1
  13. Georgia 5-1
  14. Clemson 5-1
  15. Miss. St. 6-0
  16. Louisville 6-0
  17. W. Viginia 5-1
  18. Texas Tech 5-1
  19. Rutgers 6-0
  20. Texas A&M 5-1
  21. Cincinnati 5-0
  22. Stanford 4-2
  23. Michigan 4-2
  24. Boise St. 5-1
  25. Ohio 7-0

[quote name='Chitown021']Saying Stanford was screwed out of a chance to win the game is simply not true.

[/QUOTE]

That's actually an insane thing to say. Did the refs blow the call? Yes, you even say it yourself. Was Stanford then wrongly denied the chance to win the game? Yes. Every team in every game has a million chances to win or close out a game, but those points in time are moot. This one particular call on this one particular play cost Stanford the chance to win the game.

As much as a Michigan fan such as myself hates it, it was good for the Wolverines that N.Dame got the victory. Especially in the BCS era, you just have to hope that any team that beats your team wins all of their games. Of course it would have been better just to beat N.Dame to begin with but that obviously didn't happen.

First BCS rankings of the season:
(undefeated teams in italics)
  1. Alabama 6-0
  2. Florida 6-0
  3. Oregon 6-0
  4. K.State 6-0
  5. N.Dame 6-0
  6. LSU 6-1
  7. S.Carolina 6-1
  8. Oregon St. 5-0
  9. Oklahoma 4-1
  10. USC 5-1
  11. Georgia 5-1
  12. Miss. St. 6-0
  13. W.Viginia 5-1
  14. Florida St. 6-1
  15. Rutgers 6-0
  16. Louisville 6-0
  17. Texas Tech 5-1
  18. Texas A&M 5-1
  19. Clemson 5-1
  20. Stanford 4-2
  21. Cincinnati 5-0
  22. Boise St. 5-1
  23. TCU 5-1
  24. Iowa St. 4-2
  25. Texas 4-2
Interesting to see how it shook out sans Ohio St., although they can still play quite the spoiler for other Big 10 teams. I also found it interesting how Rutgers placed 4 spots higher here than in the AP poll. Since the whole system rides on the BCS, this is the only ranking system I tend to pay attention to from here on out.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']That's actually an insane thing to say. Did the refs blow the call? Yes, you even say it yourself. Was Stanford then wrongly denied the chance to win the game? Yes. Every team in every game has a million chances to win or close out a game, but those points in time are moot. This one particular call on this one particular play cost Stanford the chance to win the game.[/QUOTE]

I misspoke. You're right, I shouldn't have said Stanford was denied THE chance to win, it would have been more accurate to say they were denied A chance to win. The call denied them of A single opportunity to win the game but they had THE chance to win the game all day.

Just like in the Bush Push. The non-call denied Notre Dame that final chance to win but they could have ended the thing a couple plays earlier on 4th down.

I was just looking over the BCS in more detail to see how Iowa St. ended up at 24. Answer? The computer ranking was showing the Cyclones some love as they placed 31st and 35th in the Harris and Coaches polls.

The computers top 5? Glad you asked, our silcon friend(s) rank them as follows; 1)Florida, 2)N.Dame, 3)Alabama, 4)Kansas St., and 5)Oregon St.

[quote name='Chitown021']I misspoke. You're right, I shouldn't have said Stanford was denied THE chance to win, it would have been more accurate to say they were denied A chance to win. The call denied them of A single opportunity to win the game but they had THE chance to win the game all day.

Just like in the Bush Push. The non-call denied Notre Dame that final chance to win but they could have ended the thing a couple plays earlier on 4th down.[/QUOTE]

Ultimately, it comes down to officials altering the outcome of games. As I said earlier, both teams had the opportunity to go up 50 pts and not go into an OT, but they didn't and went into OT. Both teams played as good of a football game as they were able to against each other but the finish was cheapened by officials changing the possibility of a different outcome.

[quote name='chuckie88']As much as a Michigan fan such as myself hates it, it was good for the Wolverines that N.Dame got the victory. Especially in the BCS era, you just have to hope that any team that beats your team wins all of their games. Of course it would have been better just to beat N.Dame to begin with but that obviously didn't happen.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I've been hoping that Michigan and Michigan State would continue to win for strength of schedule reasons. I hope the Irish don't overlook BYU. As well as they're paying right now Oklahoma scares the heck out of me. I think a vertical passing team like that could really expose our young secondary if their line protects Landry Jones and we can't get a solid pass rush. That loss to Kansas State seems to have woken them up (or Texas was just way overrated).

[quote name='chuckie88']First BCS rankings of the season:
Interesting to see how it shook out sans Ohio St., although they can still play quite the spoiler for other Big 10 teams. I also found it interesting how Rutgers placed 4 spots higher here than in the AP poll. Since the whole system rides on the BCS, this is the only ranking system I tend to pay attention to from here on out.[/QUOTE]
Wow the Big 12 bias is high. Texas gets hammered by Oklahoma and gets into the BCS ranking when all other polls have them not ranked. Iowa St is ranked... so laughable.

ACC teams dropped 6 spots in the BCS from their AP/Coaches/Harris/USA poll counterparts. 0s listed in most computer polls. You have to be joking me.

[quote name='lordopus99']Wow the Big 12 bias is high. Texas gets hammered by Oklahoma and gets into the BCS ranking when all other polls have them not ranked. Iowa St is ranked... so laughable.

ACC teams dropped 6 spots in the BCS from their AP/Coaches/Harris/USA poll counterparts. 0s listed in most computer polls. You have to be joking me.[/QUOTE]

Are you arguing that math and numbers are biased?

[quote name='Genocidal']Are you arguing that math and numbers are biased?[/QUOTE]
How are those numbers determined?

I leave it like this... Take the Colley. The Colley poll would give Notre Dame the #1 spot. Oregon is #7 in this poll. Do you really believe Oregon is the number 7 team in the country with the scores they run up on teams? Oregon State is ranked #4; in other words, the Colley believes Oregon State is a better team than Oregon. Do you think any coach or sports analyst would make that bet? No way they would. Fun Fact: Western Kentucky is #23 in the Colley. Yes, they according to the Colley is the #23 team in the country. That is laughable.

Do you see the bias?

[quote name='Chitown021']...I've been hoping that Michigan and Michigan State would continue to win for strength of schedule reasons...[/QUOTE]
The Wolverines are doing their best to give you your wish. They crushed Purdue and Illinois (44-13,45-0) since losing to N.Dame by 7. It's amazing what Robinson can do when not throwing 5 interceptions and losing a fumble!:roll:
[quote name='lordopus99']...Big 12 bias is high. Texas gets hammered by Oklahoma and gets into the BCS ranking when all other polls have them not ranked. Iowa St is ranked...

ACC teams dropped 6 spots in the BCS from their AP/Coaches/Harris/USA poll counterparts. 0s listed in most computer polls...[/QUOTE]
Some of the Big 12 stuff should start to work itself out when K.State plays W.Virginia and N.Dame plays Oklahoma. The high opinion will be supported or challenged then. The ACC's best hope for redemption is for FSU and/or Clemson to start thumping on teams as it doesn't appear that V.Tech will be up to doing it this year.

The conference that looks really bad in this first BCS is the Big 10. Unless Michigan can keep winning and beat OSU at season's end, the conferenece will continue to look bad. This is especially true in the Leaders half where Wisconsin looks to have the inside track to winning the division. The top 2 teams on that side (OSU,PSU) can't play in the post season and the other 3 teams are at .500 or lower and winless in the confrence. Sheesh!:headache:

[quote name='lordopus99']How are those numbers determined?

I leave it like this... Take the Colley. The Colley poll would give Notre Dame the #1 spot. Oregon is #7 in this poll. Do you really believe Oregon is the number 7 team in the country with the scores they run up on teams? Oregon State is ranked #4; in other words, the Colley believes Oregon State is a better team than Oregon. Do you think any coach or sports analyst would make that bet? No way they would. Fun Fact: Western Kentucky is #23 in the Colley. Yes, they according to the Colley is the #23 team in the country. That is laughable.

Do you see the bias?[/QUOTE]

Your complaint is that you find the formulas flawed or specifically, one formula -- which is why they average them and drop the outliers for each team. There are plenty of sports people that are looking forward to the Oregon-Oregon State game because they think Oregon State has a good chance to beat Oregon this year. Oregon State's strength of schedule is also much better than Oregon's; it's much easier to run up a score on a bad team than a good team.

What's truly laughable to me is trying to claim that 6 different formulas are all biased to make a certain conference look better than they are.

Yeah, there's no bias. Just different forumulas that give more and less weight to different factors. It's also that the BCS isn't that great until all games are played (same with RPI for college basketball). You get goofy stuff mid season as some teams have hard schedules early on, and easy ones later on and vice versa. It sorts itself out for the most part by the end of the season other than not really being useful for distinguishing between equal record teams at the top (which is the most important part). But there's usually no one or two team grossly over or underanked in the final one like there is in the first few.

Also, the Big 12 isn't over rated. It's the second best league to he SEC, and will be a lot of year with the teams they have. Not really any dead weight programs in there other than Kansas, and even they were in the Orange Bowl a few years back and Weis may get them turned around.

And no bias against the ACC, it's sucked for pretty much the entire millennium. FSU has been down, Miami has been down every since joining. VT had been the saving grace, but now they suck this year too. Beyond those teams, just some ok second tier type programs like Clemson and GT and a bunch of basketball schools. It will always be the weakest major conference and isn't going to put a team in the 4 team playoff very often.

Especially since they took two basketball schools (Pitt, Syracuse) in the latest expansion, when they could have taken teams like WVU, Louisville, Cincy etc. from the Big East that would have brought both good basketball and improved the football side of the league.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, there's no bias. Just different forumulas that give more and less weight to different factors. It's also that the BCS isn't that great until all games are played (same with RPI for college basketball). You get goofy stuff mid season as some teams have hard schedules early on, and easy ones later on and vice versa. It sorts itself out for the most part by the end of the season other than not really being useful for distinguishing between equal record teams at the top (which is the most important part). But there's usually no one or two team grossly over or underanked in the final one like there is in the first few.[/quote]
No bias? How are they determining strength of schedule? How do they determine what is an upset? Note only one of the 6 formulas have been exposed. Do you ever wonder why? Ever wonder why they have such differences from each other; in example look at LSU?

- Anderson&Hester - Western Kentucky is #25. Another poll that thinks Oregon State is better than Oregon.
- Billingsly - Michigan is #20. Clemson is 5 pts/spots higher than FSU, the team that beat them.
- Massey - Western Kentucky is #22. Texas Tech is #7. Have you seen their schedule to this point: 2 AA schools, New Mexico (a perennial I-A bottom feeder), and was slaughtered by Oklahoma (who was #17 at the time).
- Sagarin - According to them, Florida has 2 Top 10 wins... Last I checked they only have beat LSU. Everyone else is currently unranked (EDIT: Texas A&M is #20 for a short time; next week Welcome to the SEC) that they have played. Again, no bias???

Western Kentucky will be lucky to be selected for a bowl; let alone be competitive in it. They were shutout by Bama and won by 5 against Troy last weekend. This is the BCS computer polls Top 25 team.

Also, the Big 12 isn't over rated. It's the second best league to he SEC, and will be a lot of year with the teams they have. Not really any dead weight programs in there other than Kansas, and even they were in the Orange Bowl a few years back and Weis may get them turned around.
Sure it is. It is the Xbox 360 shootout league. Most games are blowouts i.e. non-entertaining games. Take last weekend for instance. Texas Tech manhandled West Virginia. Oklahoma beat Texas like a redheaded stepchild. TCU woodsheded Baylor. When the Big 12 teams can actually compete against each other, then can they even be considered a good conference.

There are only two good conferences this year. The SEC at the top. Then Pac 12 based on their OOC wins.

And no bias against the ACC, it's sucked for pretty much the entire millennium. FSU has been down, Miami has been down every since joining. VT had been the saving grace, but now they suck this year too. Beyond those teams, just some ok second tier type programs like Clemson and GT and a bunch of basketball schools. It will always be the weakest major conference and isn't going to put a team in the 4 team playoff very often.
It is easy to call FSU down since they went undefeated most seasons during the 90s while knocking off Florida and Miami (both dominant programs, i.e. Top 5, then). Something most programs will NEVER achieve. Guess what... they really aren't down. Take their bowls... Last year, they beat Notre Dame. Where are they this year? The year prior, they took out Lattimore (a guy who ran 200+ yards on Georgia that year). Where is he and his team today? The year prior to that, they convincely beat West Virginia (who had Geno Smith). Where were they just at? 2 Years straight beating Florida. Where are they today? Sure that is being down. ;)

As for the rest of the ACC... Clemson is a good team. Sammy Watkins is a top 5 pick. Clemson beat Auburn by 7. LSU beat Auburn by 2. Oh I forgot the BCS doesn't use Margin of Victory. Next would be NC State, a next tier team. Beyond that, a bunch of misfits. I am not denying that. Miami and UNC have had sanctions. GT and VT have hugely disappointed. Maryland shot themselves in the foot when the fired Ralph Friedgen.

Especially since they took two basketball schools (Pitt, Syracuse) in the latest expansion, when they could have taken teams like WVU, Louisville, Cincy etc. from the Big East that would have brought both good basketball and improved the football side of the league.
West Virginia did not fall in line with the academics of the ACC. Pitt and Syracuse do.
---------------
Note I don't care at this point. We will all witness another SEC vs SEC title game, which is where the top 2 teams reside anyways. All I pray is that my team gets to hammer on one of these "1st/2nd/3rd best conference" opponents in their bowl (like they have for 4 years straight). If we get paired with a Big 10 or Big East team I will be disappointed.

[quote name='Genocidal']Your complaint is that you find the formulas flawed or specifically, one formula -- which is why they average them and drop the outliers for each team. There are plenty of sports people that are looking forward to the Oregon-Oregon State game because they think Oregon State has a good chance to beat Oregon this year. Oregon State's strength of schedule is also much better than Oregon's; it's much easier to run up a score on a bad team than a good team.

What's truly laughable to me is trying to claim that 6 different formulas are all biased to make a certain conference look better than they are.[/QUOTE]
Oregon State up to this point has for the most part won by a score to currently unranked teams. Oregon State beat Arizona by 3. Oregon beat Arizona by 49. Oh there I go with the Margin of Victory again (which the BCS does not recognize)...

Human polls (as varied as they can be) still count for two thirds of the BCS rankings. The human polls are still the deciding factor on the rankings. Case in point, the final 2007 BCS rankings saw V.Tech ranked #1 by the computers. Still, it was LSU vs Ohio St. in the title game because of the human opinion.

Human beings also create and implement the various computer formulas. The computer's also change what team ranks where as more data is input into their various formulas. The later BCS rankings from the computers tend to be a more accurate representation of what their formula is looking for.

With regards to if it is a biased system, of course it is. Any ranking system based on human opinions will be, despite all efforts. This is however only the first BCS publication, there's still a long way to go and a lot can (and probably will) change. No use getting too invested in or worked up about it now.

All I meant is there is no bias toward any particular team or conference in the computer rankings. They are just formula based. Each is weighted differently, some give goofy rankings sometime, but there's not targeted bias.

And yes, no margin of victory in there as they didn't want to give coaches any incentive to run up the scores.

I think they should include margin of victory, but just cap it at say 20+ point wins to get bonus points so you don't get any extreme cases of running up the score.

I agree with you, I don't feel as if there is some kind of specific targeted bias. I am alright with there being no incentive for margin of vitory also as the score inflation could get out of control. It will be interesting to see how the BCS finishes up its last two years (this season and next). Hopefully, no real disaster matchups!

I feel that Florida needs to have a strong showing against S.Carolina in order to remain as highly regarded as they are, Oregon walked all over Arizona St. Although the K.State vs W.Virginia game has lost a bit of its luster, I think that the Mountaineer's potential firepower gives them a puncher's chance in any game.

Yeah, it's still a big game.

Win and WVU is still pretty much in control of their own destiny for the Big 12 title (other than needing Texas Tech to lose again). And K-State is still in the national title hunt if they win--and would be in good shape having already beaten Oklahoma.

Hope WVU can bounce back. Being home should help the offense get their mojo back hopefully. Defense just sucks--but K State is a run first team and our run defense has been mostly ok. It's our pass defense that's god awful. So if we can put up some points, I like our chances.

bread's done
Back