Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

[quote name='SL4IN']How did UT get screwed? Because they beat OU by 10 points, they deserve some sore of entitlement that they're better? :roll:

Despite the fact that OU played more ranked teams, embarrassed Texas Tech by 44 points (a team that texas lost to by 6), routed Oklahoma State by 20 points (a team that texas barely edged out by 4) and played and beat a ranked team in their last game of the season while texas only played a 2-5, 4-7 Texas A&M team.[/QUOTE]

UT got screwed because the Big XII tiebreaker scenario is bullshit. The SEC and ACC decision to take the top two teams in a three way tie (since Tech has no argument after getting their asses handed to them) and see who won the head to head is fair. The fact of the matter is that the better team between OU and UT was decided two months ago when they played each other on a neutral field and UT was victorious. Also, if you just take the three losses of the 3 teams into account, the UT loss is the best by far. Tech lost by 44 on the road, OU lost by 10 on a neutral field, and UT lost by 6 on the road on a last second play. I also don't buy into the whole OU has been much more dominant lately. Sure, they've scored a lot of points, but they've given up a whole lot also. UT's defense is significantly better. You can argue with me all you want, but nothing you can say will change the fact that two teams that UT beat, and has equal or better records than, get to play for the Big XII title. Bullshit.

[quote name='Whambamm']UT got screwed because the Big XII tiebreaker scenario is bullshit. The SEC and ACC decision to take the top two teams in a three way tie (since Tech has no argument after getting their asses handed to them) and see who won the head to head is fair. The fact of the matter is that the better team between OU and UT was decided two months ago when they played each other on a neutral field and UT was victorious. Also, if you just take the three losses of the 3 teams into account, the UT loss is the best by far. Tech lost by 44 on the road, OU lost by 10 on a neutral field, and UT lost by 6 on the road on a last second play. I also don't buy into the whole OU has been much more dominant lately. Sure, they've scored a lot of points, but they've given up a whole lot also. UT's defense is significantly better. You can argue with me all you want, but nothing you can say will change the fact that two teams that UT beat, and has equal or better records than, get to play for the Big XII title. Bullshit.[/quote]

OU's defense has give up roughly 24 points a game where as UT's has given up 16 points a game. I don't understand how arguably a touchdown is significantly better. When comparing offenses, OU averages 54 points a game while texas averages a mere 36 points. I'd say that's a significant change. I get it, you're a die hard fan and you're pissed that your team didn't get the push it didn't deserve.

Bottom line is, the BCS didn't think texas was better than OU, the USA today poll didn't think texas was better than OU, and the fan poll didn't think texas was better than OU.

Ultimately Texas Tech was the one who REALLY got screwed.

OU will go to championship and UT will be in a BCS bowl game, but Tech is gonna get stuck in like the Cotton Bowl or something. Even though their only loss was to probably the best team in the country.

I think this is why there should be a playoff system. That way all these teams could duke it out and you would actually have a tangible way of who did the best.

[quote name='darthbudge']Ultimately Texas Tech was the one who REALLY got screwed.

OU will go to championship and UT will be in a BCS bowl game, but Tech is gonna get stuck in like the Cotton Bowl or something. Even though their only loss was to probably the best team in the country.

I think this is why there should be a playoff system. That way all these teams could duke it out and you would actually have a tangible way of who did the best.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I think Tech would probably get screwed in an 8 team playoff too as I don't think there'd be a chance in hell the conferences would allow 3 of the 8 teams to be from one conference. There's no way they'd allow one conference 37.5% of the money made from the playoffs.

[quote name='Whambamm']Sadly, I think Tech would probably get screwed in an 8 team playoff too as I don't think there'd be a chance in hell the conferences would allow 3 of the 8 teams to be from one conference. There's no way they'd allow one conference 37.5% of the money made from the playoffs.[/quote]

That is why there should be no conference restrictions like that. They simply pick the top 8 teams based off of how many wins they have and who the wins and losses were against. If all 8 teams happened to be from just two conferences, so be it.

[quote name='darthbudge']Ultimately Texas Tech was the one who REALLY got screwed.

I think this is why there should be a playoff system. That way all these teams could duke it out and you would actually have a tangible way of who did the best.[/quote]

TTU gets screwed this year and Mizzou got screwed last year. Last year Mizzou beat Kansas with all the marbles on the table. Then the lose in the Big 12 championship game and not only miss out on the title game but get knocked out of the BCS while KU goes to the Orange bowl.

A playoff, if it happens, would never be just the top 8 teams in the BCS. It would render to much of the regular season pointless (i.e. teams know they have no chance of moving into the top 8 half way through, yet they still have a chance to win their conference).

If they do it should be auto bids for the 6 BCS conference champs, with two at large spots with stipulations that one goes to a non-BCS school if they're above a certain ranking.

That makes it more like pro sports where you have the excitment of division races for play off berths. You'll get some teams with crummy records in because they won crappy conferences (like the Big East or ACC this year) but it's better than having games in a conference not matter for the last third of the season in those conferences. And it's no different than crappy divisions in pro sports--like the NL West in baseball this year, or the NFC West in the NFL etc.

[quote name='Chitown021']TTU gets screwed this year and Mizzou got screwed last year. Last year Mizzou beat Kansas with all the marbles on the table. Then the lose in the Big 12 championship game and not only miss out on the title game but get knocked out of the BCS while KU goes to the Orange bowl.[/quote]

Mizzou should have beaten Oklahoma one of the 2 shots they had at them then. Kansas ended the year with 1 loss, Mizzou with 2.

Spekaing of which, how'd that game go this year? Hehehe......

I'm really looking forward to Oklahoma thumping Mizzou then getting thrashed by whoever wins the SEC. Those teams have defenses like Oklahoma has never seen in the Big 12. Plus Oklahoma stinks it up in Bowl games.

[quote name='DonInKansas']Mizzou should have beaten Oklahoma one of the 2 shots they had at them then. Kansas ended the year with 1 loss, Mizzou with 2.

Spekaing of which, how'd that game go this year? Hehehe......

I'm really looking forward to Oklahoma thumping Mizzou then getting thrashed by whoever wins the SEC. Those teams have defenses like Oklahoma has never seen in the Big 12. Plus Oklahoma stinks it up in Bowl games.[/quote]

I'm sick of OU winning the Big 12. Bob Stoops is such a pompous ass and he always craps out in whatever BCS game he gets. I'd like to see anyone win the Big 12 besides them (the only other exception being KU of course ;)). I know it's unlikely but I'm hoping for a 2003 style upset in the championship game this year. Everyone keeps giving Gary Pinkel big props for turning the Mizzou program around but I'm not all that impressed. I think he's able to recruit and his talent is enough to win some games but they don't play well at all in the big ones when they have to (with the exception of the KU game last year but that one almost got away. I think Reesing would've brought them all the way back had there been another minute left on the clock).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Tuberville has resigned at Auburn. At least they should be struggling with a coaching transition and not give WVU much trouble next year I guess! :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3742934[/QUOTE]

You don't resign and still get a $6 buyout contract.

The AD there is all kinds of stupid. At worst, Tuberville only had two years left, but he ran a clean and respectable program. Auburn now has three coaches on their payroll who don't even coach there anymore - not including all of Tuberville's assistant coaches.

The only way I'm happy with what went down in Auburn is if Jacobs said either your assistants go or you go, and Tubs stayed loyal. I hope, of course, that the AD didn't put it that way. I really liked Tuberville and wish he was still there. He just needed to clean house on offense.

[quote name='munch']I predict that he's done coaching.[/QUOTE]

For now.

[quote name='Birmingham News']Tommy Tuberville said the morning he had no animosity toward Auburn and he'll stay on and work with university President Dr. Jay Gogue while he contemplates his future.

Tuberville, who resigned as Auburn's football coach Wednesday, said he's looking forward to having a family life again. He said he plans to return to coaching again, but will wait for the right opportunity.

Tuberville said his departure was "totally a business decision, what's best for Auburn.''

While he said he'll remain in Auburn and stay out of the way of the new coach.

"You're not going to hear from me much publicly.''[/quote]

In any case, I wish the best of luck to Tuberville as Auburn certainly has not treated him very well.

Of course, this makes me wonder, who in the world is going to actually want to come to Auburn with all that has happened in the past 5 years?

[quote name='specialk']If I'm wrong I'll come back here and admit it.

Florida wins outs.

and by "wins out" I mean dishes out a new level of domination not seen since medieval times.

Tim Tebow cried when they lost to Ole Miss, every one they've played has cried since.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. the man has his heart in the game. i couldn't believe he was blocking in one of the play during the FSU game.

[quote name='munch']I'm really hoping UF can pull it out. If Bama wins, . . . . I can't even talk about it.[/quote]
I'll feel the same way, although it's the coach, Nick Saban, who I want to suffer. I can't forgive him for ditching the Dolphins in the middle of the season, especially with his "I would never go to Alabama, I'm sticking with the Dolphins all the way" crap.
I'm no Dolphin fan, but that's like the ultimate burn for a team.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'll feel the same way, although it's the coach, Nick Saban, who I want to suffer. I can't forgive him for ditching the Dolphins in the middle of the season, especially with his "I would never go to Alabama, I'm sticking with the Dolphins all the way" crap.
I'm no Dolphin fan, but that's like the ultimate burn for a team.[/QUOTE]

Oh man. Thats the same reason that is firing my hatred for him.

Shitty season for WVU, but nice to beat South Florida in Pat White's last home game after losing to them the past 2 seasons.

5hm6s9.jpg

[quote name='pimpinc333']So glad the Gators won. If they don't get in the BCS game im going to be pissed.[/quote]

They are going for sure.

It gonna be a OU vs. FL national championship.

But I am pretty sure OU is gonna win.

[quote name='darthbudge']They are going for sure.

But I am pretty sure OU is gonna win.[/QUOTE]

Nah, no way. Florida is kicking some serious ass and they have a pretty tough defense, where all OU can do is score.

[quote name='darthbudge']They are going for sure.

But I am pretty sure OU is gonna win.[/quote]

We'll see...but OU and Stoops usually does terrible in Bowls... what was the outcome of the last 4 bowl appearances

Hopefully people will think of Florida as the underdogs again just like when they got counted out against Ohio State a couple of years back.We all know how that stopping ended.

I'm content with USC's result being in the Rose Bowl, since they'll play Penn State so that should be an awesome game. As for USC's future schedule, I wish they would pit them against more ranked opponents, one loss to Oregon State cost them greatly, and if they had more ranked opponents, that would give them a better chance to show what they're made of and would test them to the extent of their abilities more often plus a better chance to move up in the rankings and more interesting match-ups :D

Also, I'm ecstatic that Florida beat Alabama, and I hope Nick Saban is depressed over the loss!

Tim Tebow is an awesome QB, the guy has the skill and the heart to lead a team, I loved it when he ran out to pump up the kicking team, and one of the staff had to go chase after him haha.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'm content with USC's result being in the Rose Bowl, since they'll play Penn State so that should be an awesome game. As for USC's future schedule, I wish they would pit them against more ranked opponents, one loss to Oregon State cost them greatly, and if they had more ranked opponents, that would give them a better chance to show what they're made of and would test them to the extent of their abilities more often plus a better chance to move up in the rankings and more interesting match-ups :D

Also, I'm ecstatic that Florida beat Alabama, and I hope Nick Saban is depressed over the loss!

Tim Tebow is an awesome QB, the guy has the skill and the heart to lead a team, I loved it when he ran out to pump up the kicking team, and one of the staff had to go chase after him haha.[/QUOTE]

Do you think he can transition into becoming a good NFL QB? His build is sorta like Culpeppers when he was drafted. I hope he has success in the NFL.

[quote name='docvinh']Nah, no way. Florida is kicking some serious ass and they have a pretty tough defense, where all OU can do is score.[/quote]

Score an average of 55 points a game ;)

But still, OU has a pretty solid defense for what it is, and arguably a harder schedule than Florida had this year.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Do you think he can transition into becoming a good NFL QB? His build is sorta like Culpeppers when he was drafted. I hope he has success in the NFL.[/quote]
I hope he can as well, the only problem I may see is his durability in the long run. He seems to enjoy rushing once in a while and that might lead to a shorter career in the NFL, he might have to tone that down, but all in all, he seems capable of being elusive, making great throws, and being a great leader. Having more heart than the other team makes a difference, and Tebow has that as well.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I hope he can as well, the only problem I may see is his durability in the long run. He seems to enjoy rushing once in a while and that might lead to a shorter career in the NFL, he might have to tone that down, but all in all, he seems capable of being elusive, making great throws, and being a great leader. Having more heart than the other team makes a difference, and Tebow has that as well.[/quote]
yeah, his body wont last in the NFL, where everyone is a monster... he would have to remain more of a pocket passer in order to succeed in the end

It's hard to say though. Micheal Vick still ran a lot and for the most part was fairly healthy. He didnt' seem to get banged up any more than most of the pocket passers. And Tebow is a lot bigger and can probably take more hits than Vick I'd imagine.

I see him running less, but I'd be surprised if he didn't still get a lot of carries in short yardage situations at the next level.

[quote name='munch']I love when Alabama loses.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Now I don't have to hear about a national championship all through next year, although I am having to put up with "36-0" and "1-6". 1-6? That's not anything to brag about.

[quote name='munch']
5hm6s9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This.

I would be so happy if Gill came to Auburn. He has championship experience, he can turn a team around (see Buffalo), and appears to instill values in players, which I really like about Tuberville. I don't know what anyone really wants to go after Jimbo Fisher, or Mike Leach. If Gill fails, I wouldn't mind taking a look at Paul Johnson.

Jimbo Fisher will be the coach ONLY if the good ol' boy system is in place. Unfortunately, I think it is. Gill is an Auburn man, through and through. I would love to have him as our coach.

Hard to get interested in WVU playing in the Meineke Car Care Bowl after playing in BCS games 2 of the last 3 years and the Gator Bowl the other year (and winning all) and starting this year ranked 8th. :(

[quote name='Flyersfan']Does anyone really want to see Texas kick Ohio State ass?

I mean, really. They dont deserve to be in the BCS this year.[/QUOTE]

I never get sick of watching Ohio State get killed. :D But yes, they don't deserve it. Boise St or Texas Tech should have gotten that bid.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Does anyone really want to see Texas kick Ohio State ass?

I mean, really. They dont deserve to be in the BCS this year.[/quote]

I hope Texas kicks the crap out of OSU but I could see them being so down because they didn't get to play in the Championship game that they crap out.

I remember in 1998 when K-State lost to Texas A&M by 3 pts in overtime they got knocked all the way down from the national title game to the Alamo bowl and ended up losing to Purdue, a team the should've destroyed that year.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hard to get interested in WVU playing in the Meineke Car Care Bowl after playing in BCS games 2 of the last 3 years and the Gator Bowl the other year (and winning all) and starting this year ranked 8th. :(

[/QUOTE]

At least you made it to a bowl. WVU and AU stunk it up this year.

bread's done
Back