Official: Battlestar Galactica Season 4 Discussion Thread **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

Last night's episode was a mess. The first 45 minutes were OK, nothing special. Adam reliving command was kind of like West Wing when the president's daughter was kidnapped.

But after 45 minutes of "building" up to the next president when it was obvious all along, then Romo pulls a gun out! My god! That was just fucking beyond stupid and I couldn't believe it.

[quote name='bigdaddy']But after 45 minutes of "building" up to the next president when it was obvious all along, then Romo pulls a gun out! My god! That was just fucking beyond stupid and I couldn't believe it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that was the other asinine part of the episode that bugged the hell out of me. The random behavior on this show has increased ten fold with this season, and I find myself losing interest very, very quickly. Just wipe them all out, cylons, because I'm at my wit's end with these characters.

Yeah, that episode was definitely much worse than the one from two weeks ago.

Again, the fact that they have 20 episodes to fill is really hurting them. Look at how amazing Lost was this season. Every episode mattered. Every episode had a purpose and fit into the much larger story. This season with BSG, it's almost the complete opposite. Some of the episodes are just kinda "there" and while they may have some interesting stories, they're not strong enough to carry an episode. The
Lee becoming President
arc could have easily been a side story to another episode or a couple episodes, same thing with the
six becoming pregnant
. Unless these things become vital later on, I don't see why they needed an entire episode devoted to them.

I'm gonna go ahead and classify the 8 episodes so far:

Good
He That Believeth In Me
Six of One
The Ties That Bind (ALMOST meh)
Guess What's Coming to Dinner?

Meh
The Road Less Traveled
Faith (Non-Roslin scenes)

Crap
Escape Velocity
Faith (Roslin scenes)
Sine Qua Non

So only half of the episodes so far have been good and 3 of those came right in a row at the beginning of the season.

[quote name='daphatty']I can't fucking believe that
tigh got the 6 pregnant! Now we KNOW cylons can reproduce. I wonder if it had something to do with the resurecction ship being destroyed? I'm also looking forward to Deanna 3's return. That should be one hell of an episode. Hello Colonel Tigh...
Money!

You know, the more that I think about it, the more I realize that
I should have listened to my suspicions about Tigh being a cylon. Remember when Deanna apologized to one of the final five? I always imagined Deanna was apologizing to Tigh since he was the most physically affected by the occupation of New Caprica.
[/quote]

I think shan82 probably hit it on the head since
Sharon had a baby long before the resurrection ship was destroyed. Ditto for Tyrol so, counting the pregnant Caprica Six (if that's the right Six held captive on Galactica), there are, at minimum, 3 human/cylon hybrid children.

[quote name='jaykrue']I think shan82 probably hit it on the head since
Sharon had a baby long before the resurrection ship was destroyed. Ditto for Tyrol so, counting the pregnant Caprica Six (if that's the right Six held captive on Galactica), there are, at minimum, 3 human/cylon hybrid children.
[/QUOTE]

True, however
we didn't know Tyrol was a Cylon until the end of last season. And that means there are only two hybrid children. Tryol and Sharon's baby's are the only hybrids we know of and that assumes Callie wasn't the fifth Cylon. Tigh and Caprica 6's fetus is pure cylon. It is the first of its kind.

Still sucks that there's going to be a break no matter how long it is. They better leave a huge ass cliffhanger before the break.

As for the next episode, nice to reveal in the package that they're unboxing D'Anna(the UK one didn't give a preview). As for who she reveals is part of the final five, kinda obvious it's going to be Anders since he's the only one that was on the basestar.

[quote name='evanft']Ya'll realize that there are only 2 episodes left before the break until next year, right?[/QUOTE]

What the fuck?!

[quote name='daphatty']True, however
we didn't know Tyrol was a Cylon until the end of last season. And that means there are only two hybrid children. Tryol and Sharon's baby's are the only hybrids we know of and that assumes Callie wasn't the fifth Cylon. Tigh and Caprica 6's fetus is pure cylon. It is the first of its kind.
[/quote]

Got a point there.

Also,
has anyone considered what would happen to Gaius if he were to find out that the woman he "loves" is now pregnant with Tigh's child?

[quote name='daphatty']Also,
has anyone considered what would happen to Gaius if he were to find out that the woman he "loves" is now pregnant with Tigh's child?
[/quote]

And he's fucking a Cylon.

[quote name='evanft']Yeah, that episode was definitely much worse than the one from two weeks ago.

Again, the fact that they have 20 episodes to fill is really hurting them. Look at how amazing Lost was this season. Every episode mattered. Every episode had a purpose and fit into the much larger story..[/quote]

Lost got caught up in a crunch because of the writters strike...I am pretty sure it was supposed to be 17 or so episodes...they had 20 episodes to break up into 2 halfes, so IMO your argument fails. You can bitch about it being 20 single season episodes, but in reality it will most likely fall into 2 x 10 seasons episodes. BSG has always had shitty episodes, so why would expect anything different? The other big difference between lost and bsg is budget and writting staff on hand.

a bump for the new episode coming on tonight

What's everybodys opinions on the episodes have been broken down. On several occassions we have only seen what was happening from one point of view, and then the following week from the other side. For instance last week we saw the reaction to the base star leaving and the fallout with the meeting up with the cyclon fleet/regeneration ship. It was taken all from the POV from the fleet/bsg. It appeared in the teaser from last week that tonights episode shows what happened in the baseship in the same/simliar time frame.

Personally I am not a big fan of it. I would rather the episodes show similiar time frames from both POV during the same show. I have yet to see tonights episode, so I really can't comment on where the break, last scene of the show would be but I am not a big fan of seeing a part of the story and then going 2 or 3 weeks really without seeing much to what happened...IE the base ship that 6 was running at the start of the civil war. They showed them getting attacked and then it was a couple of weeks I think before we heard from them again.

I hate the way they've split up the shows to show individual POVs. Maybe this supposed break will give the producers and directors a chance to fix their mistake.

I hate the way we had 9 episodes of build up and it looks like everything will hit the fan in one hour next week. Heaven forbid they plan this season out better.

And Baltar should have died.

[quote name='ryanbph'] Lost got caught up in a crunch because of the writters strike...I am pretty sure it was supposed to be 17 or so episodes...[/quote]

They were going to have 16 and that got cut down to 13 with a 2 hour finale, so 14. Not exactly a massive difference at all.

[quote name='ryanbph']they had 20 episodes to break up into 2 halfes, so IMO your argument fails.[/quote]

How does my argument that the pacing and overall quality of the episodes is suffering because they have 20 to fill and not enough material to fill them because it's split into two halves? 20 episodes is 20 episodes. They were going to originally air all at once but got split due to the writers' strike.

[quote name='ryanbph']tYou can bitch about it being 20 single season episodes, but in reality it will most likely fall into 2 x 10 seasons episodes.[/quote]

We all know that already. This is like the last season of the Sopranos. Yes, it's split, but it's really one season, especially because it has been written and made like one season.

[quote name='ryanbph']BSG has always had shitty episodes, so why would expect anything different? The other big difference between lost and bsg is budget and writting staff on hand.[/quote]

This is the last fucking season. They know exactly how much time they have left and what they need to do in that time. The problem is that they don't have enough to make 20 interesting episodes, so they have to stretch things out. Yes, other seasons had shitty episodes, but nearly half the season so far has been shit. None of the other seasons were like that at all. Outside of that shitty run in the middle of season 3, shitty episodes were kinda scattered around and were usually not nearly as awful as some of the episodes this season.

Unless some big happen next week, like finding earth(since they hint at being on a planet) or someone major dying, I'll be pretty pissed.

Last night's was okay, but there was too much focus on the president's visions during the jumps. As soon as Baltar was mentioning god to that Centurion, I thought that would trigger the Centurions to rebel again the humanoid cylons. I wish they would've gone further with that.

[quote name='tangytangerine']
Last night's was okay, but there was too much focus on the president's visions during the jumps. As soon as Baltar was mentioning god to that Centurion, I thought that would trigger the Centurions to rebel again the humanoid cylons. I wish they would've gone further with that.[/quote]

They still might.

All this has happened before and all this will happen again...

I think the first episodes will lay the ground work for the next 10 episodes. They will find Earth soon, and the humans and sixs and eights will live with them. The final episode will have a HUGE battle between the humans/rebel cylons and the other human cylons. It looks like the cylons will win, but the toasters deside they have had enough and blow the shit out the human Cylons.

[quote name='evanft']
This is the last fucking season. They know exactly how much time they have left and what they need to do in that time. The problem is that they don't have enough to make 20 interesting episodes, so they have to stretch things out. Yes, other seasons had shitty episodes, but nearly half the season so far has been shit. None of the other seasons were like that at all. Outside of that shitty run in the middle of season 3, shitty episodes were kinda scattered around and were usually not nearly as awful as some of the episodes this season.[/quote]

They have had at least 3 shitty episodes each season...I hated 1/2 of season 2, and most of season 3 was mediocre. Even if they cut it down to 10, I still think you will be working on a 25 - 50 - 25 % or so scale of great - avg - mediocre/shitty... a lot of the episodes members of this board find shitty, ron moore in his podcast, liked including it into the overall story and the universe of bsg. I haven't heard anyone from the crew say anything about having too much time left. If moore wants to include a 1 hour episode that might have some connection to the finale by about 30 seconds in that episode, then he is going to do it. IMO that is the way he produces/directs/writes the show. He is telling it the way he wants to tell it. Didn't he argue for more then what was originally alloted to him. This is the way he wants to go out. It is a good sci fi series that has had moments of greatness. It is far from the best that is on tv, and there writting/directing crew are not this great ensamble similiar to what lost has.

Personally I haven't found this season to be as bad as season 3. The second half of season 3 was horrible at best. I usually watch the show around 1 or 2 in the mornings on friday. Last season on numerous occassions I fell asleep watching them. I will agree that we have some crappy really slow drawn out stories that at this time don't make much sense why they were included into the show. We have had about 3 great episodes, and 2 or so trash ones. The rest have been mediocre, which is par for what bsg usually gives us.

That episode was fucking money! I about shit myself when
Deanna told the president she was a Cylon. Then I laughed hysterically when she said "psyche!" Too funny man.

Once again Moore said that he had ideas to go five or six seasons, this was in season 3 maybe late season 2. Just last year Chief was asked about the show and he said they said that the show was planned for 5 years and if that doesn't happen it's an injustice.

There are only 4 seasons, so you can pretend 20 episodes is too much and live in a dream world but Moore is actually getting at least 6 episodes less then he planned (He likes 13 episode seasons).

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yeah, that was the other asinine part of the episode that bugged the hell out of me. The random behavior on this show has increased ten fold with this season, and I find myself losing interest very, very quickly. Just wipe them all out, cylons, because I'm at my wit's end with these characters.[/quote]

Actually I expect some random behavior on this show. After all, these people are the only survivors of a genocide of their race, they were trapped in ships for months (with most of the ships most likely not designed to have people living on them for that long, making the living conditions not exactly ideal) living in fear that they could be killed any minute before settling a planet that they could barely survive on, only to be occupied by those that carried out the genocide for months before returning to their ships and spending months (or by now maybe even more then a year) in space again with the threat of being killed by the Cylons. I would imagine that anyone who's in that situation wouldn't exactly be in the perfect mental state, even the people on the Galactica who seem to live in relative luxury. There's bound to be some random, irrational behavior by everyone in the fleet.

Lets not forget that Lampkin was seeing a cat that had been dead for weeks, it's obvious he wasn't in the best of mental states.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yeah, that was the other asinine part of the episode that bugged the hell out of me. The random behavior on this show has increased ten fold with this season, and I find myself losing interest very, very quickly. Just wipe them all out, cylons, because I'm at my wit's end with these characters.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one that thought all along that Romo Lampkin pulled the gun just to play one of his mind games? He wasn't being serious, he was trying to get Lee to man up and promise not to be a pussy president. He never intended to hurt Lee.

What I don't get is that one of the cyclon said she tapped into Athena's download to get the memory of giving Helo a back rub. I thought the memory are only sent back when they die.

if that was the case, can't the cyclons on the base ships just tap into the memory of all the hidden cyclons in galatica.

[quote name='HuBu']if that was the case, can't the cyclons on the base ships just tap into the memory of all the hidden cyclons in galatica.[/quote]

It was probably because the one that knew the identities was "boxed" and the memory were along with the model.

[quote name='HuBu']What I don't get is that one of the cyclon said she tapped into Athena's download to get the memory of giving Helo a back rub. I thought the memory are only sent back when they die.

if that was the case, can't the cyclons on the base ships just tap into the memory of all the hidden cyclons in galatica.[/QUOTE]

Athena did die in order to get her baby.

[quote name='HuBu']What I don't get is that one of the cyclon said she tapped into Athena's download to get the memory of giving Helo a back rub. I thought the memory are only sent back when they die.

if that was the case, can't the cyclons on the base ships just tap into the memory of all the hidden cyclons in galatica.[/quote]

Only if they're the same production line so only the Sharons can access Athena & Boomer's memories. As such, if Tyrol died & rez'd, only his production line would know his memory. Though, the way it seemed to appear that the final five cylons were special 'one-off' models that didn't have a whole production line. And Athena did die so she would jump to the Rez ship to get her baby back* when it was believed the baby was dead when the captive humans escaped from the Cylons on New Caprica.

*ribs (yes, I know it's a terrible joke but I couldn't help it)

[quote name='thrustbucket']Athena did die in order to get her baby.[/quote]
Yeah I'm pretty sure she said that she got her memory from the last time she downloaded.

i was hoping for a fall release...I also never really understood why they went from summer/winter to the fall/spring setup

[quote name='ryanbph']i was hoping for a fall release...I also never really understood why they went from summer/winter to the fall/spring setup[/QUOTE]

I think it's mostly because scifi has no other show that is near it in ratings, so they spread it as thin as possible as part of some marketing logic.

BSG ratings suck, they suck hard.

Sci-fi needs BSG through because it's the show show on the network that gets any buzz.

BSG ratings suck when you look at it compared to major network ratings, but if you look at it compared to other sci fi shows, and other less netork/cable companies it isn't that bad. I think it was beating veronica mars numbers for awhile, and while the cw(wb or whatevery it was on) hasn't hit the next level like fox has, it still is a lot bigger then sci fi.

as for marketing logic..I dunno know about that...they had bad numbers to start (decent/good for sci fi though) and they were airing when the major networks were thowing reruns and reality shit at us. Why in earth would they think it would be better, due to the positive buzz, to air it up against the major networks big shows and the nfl season and the nba playoffs/ncaa tournament. Maybe they thought they had a different demo, but I like football and the nba playoffs, and i love bsg.

So has anyone else seen tonights episode? Scifi.com is streaming it live at the top of every hour.

I just watched it. And.....:drool:

I feel confident in saying that it's the biggest episode yet. Go watch it. Now.

It looks like Sci-Fi is going to extend the final half of this season by two episodes as well as make at least one extra Razor style movie (with the possibility of 2 more). Source

This is great news. Hopefully we get all three of the movies but even one would be nice.

[quote name='tangytangerine']http://www.scifi.com has the mid-season finale on now. It's a good cliffhanger ending.
They find Earth, but it's in ruins
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thrustbucket']So has anyone else seen tonights episode? Scifi.com is streaming it live at the top of every hour.

I just watched it. And.....:drool:

I feel confident in saying that it's the biggest episode yet. Go watch it. Now.[/QUOTE]

fucketty fuck fuck! They stopped streaming it at 3 pm! Now I have to wait until the show ends up on the newsgroups! BOOOOOO!

Damn that was an amazingly awesome episode. It was what I was waiting for all season. All the shit hit the fan and we left it at an interesting spot. Can't wait for the second half and the revelation of the Final Cylon.

Whoa....just whoa.

Anyone saw the previews for the second half of the season?

When Adama is crying, there is a body wrapped in linens. He's breaking down hard which means that it's either Roslin or Lee...

Until then, we gotta wait til next year I guess for the second half?

[quote name='ryanbph']this upcoming mid season finale that is coming up will be the last we see for awhile...2009 at the earliest

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-e...Todays-News/Galactica-Series-Finale/800041381[/quote]

Dude, I keep telling you. We know. We've known for a long time.

My reaction: HOLY fuckING fuckNUTS!!!!
I guess what was said about how the episode could work as the series finale was true. Wow.

How in the hell are they going to fill 10-12 more episodes, though? They totally botched a good portion of the mid-season this year. Are they going to do that again?

This is speculation, but...
This isn't the Earth you're looking for. Could this be Terra from the original series? The 3 of you who watched it would understand.

[quote name='evanft']Dude, I keep telling you. We know. We've known for a long time.

My reaction: HOLY fuckING fuckNUTS!!!!
I guess what was said about how the episode could work as the series finale was true. Wow.

How in the hell are they going to fill 10-12 more episodes, though? They totally botched a good portion of the mid-season this year. Are they going to do that again?[/quote]

Speculation:
Well Kara did return from Earth with a brand new Viper designed to find Earth, so it's likely someone is at/near Earth).

[quote name='Kaijufan']Speculation:
Well Kara did return from Earth with a brand new Viper designed to find Earth, so it's likely someone is at/near Earth).
[/quote]

Yeah, perhaps.
But where are they? Is this part of the whole "This has happened before and will happen again" scenario? Is this just a sequence of people on earth fighting, and then colonizing, building cylons, being chased off by cylons, finding new home, repeat?

[quote name='evanft']Yeah, perhaps.
But where are they? Is this part of the whole "This has happened before and will happen again" scenario? Is this just a sequence of people on earth fighting, and then colonizing, building cylons, being chased off by cylons, finding new home, repeat?
[/QUOTE]
No... At least, not likely. People who have seen the original should have a very strong suspicion of what this is.

[quote name='dafoomie']This is speculation, but...
This isn't the Earth you're looking for. Could this be Terra from the original series? The 3 of you who watched it would understand.
[/quote]

I have no clue what you are talking about but I don't believe this is the real Earth.

On Kobal there was another thing that they were sent to. They thought the first part was the Temple and it wasn't, I think the same is about Earth.

But it was NYC, which I thought was cool.

What I found interesting is that it didn't say 2009 after the show, it said "Coming Soon", so that leads me to belive they haven't figured it out yet.

bread's done
Back