Official: Battlestar Galactica Season 4 Discussion Thread **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

[quote name='bigdaddy']I have no clue what you are talking about but I don't believe this is the real Earth.

[/QUOTE]

It very much is the real earth. They would not have spent all the time building up the drama of the arrival, and leave a cliffhanger like they did just to come back in 9 months and say "psyche!". RDM said two days ago that he realized in writing this season that the show isn't about finding Earth, it's about the Characters. Not to mention the fact that they were looking for Earth to find the 13th tribe. If the tribe is not there, then they likely wouldn't stay.

[quote name='dafoomie']No... At least, not likely. People who have seen the original should have a very strong suspicion of what this is.[/quote]

O rly? Please explainzorz.

EDIT: Just read the Battlestar Wiki.
So this may not be Earth at all, but Terra, and that nuclear war that was going to happen before Galactica stopped it in the original series, did happen.

You didn't read what I said.

It is Earth, but it's not. Just like the temple from season 2. The "real" Earth is hidden somewhere down on the planet. Maybe the real Earth is a place of mind, maybe you have to be dead to reach it.

Of course it's more likely that there is nothing hiding down there, and that the human religion is wrong and has been all along and that the Cylons really do believe in the one true god.

[quote name='bigdaddy']You didn't read what I said.

It is Earth, but it's not. Just like the temple from season 2. The "real" Earth is hidden somewhere down on the planet. Maybe the real Earth is a place of mind, maybe you have to be dead to reach it.

Of course it's more likely that there is nothing hiding down there, and that the human religion is wrong and has been all along and that the Cylons really do believe in the one true god.[/QUOTE]

Going by the presidence set in the series so far, I have a really hard time accepting that the writers would take it to such a metaphysical level (although I wouldn't be upset if they did). Audiences generally roll their eyes and get upset when literal plots end up becoming amorphous metaphysical new-age explanations. Modern audiences are only satisfied by the physical and physical explanations, and anything else pisses them off.

If you study the timelines mentioned in the series, what is very likely is this:

The humans had a huge conflict sometime in our future, and some managed to escape it. The humans are originally FROM Earth. The humans that escaped found Kobol, and lived there for a 2-4 thousand years. At some point, the thirteenth tribe decided to go back to Earth, and about 1,000 years after that, the colonies on Kobol all went to their respective planets and left kobol. Pythia recorded the 13th tribe's exodus back to Earth, that's how the humans now know about it.

So the humans main goal is to reunite with the 13th tribe, and they believe they are on Earth. What's unclear is why the cylons felt the need to go to Earth, and why the final five supposedly know the way to Earth.

[quote name='evanft']O rly? Please explainzorz.

EDIT: Just read the Battlestar Wiki.
So this may not be Earth at all, but Terra, and that nuclear war that was going to happen before Galactica stopped it in the original series, did happen.
[/QUOTE]
And that ties into...
Why Starbuck was able to die and come back and find earth and such. In the original, Apollo dies but the 'ship of lights' brings him back to life and turns his clothes white, Starbuck's viper was turned white instead. The ship of lights was present in Starbuck's paintings.

If this were Earth, and they're getting along with the Cylons, why wouldn't they just turn around and go back to the Colonies? The Cylons and the human survivors seemed to be just fine living there. Unless they're going to have 6 episodes of moralizing over an Earth that nuked itself while on their way back to live happily ever after.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Going by the presidence set in the series so far, I have a really hard time accepting that the writers would take it to such a metaphysical level (although I wouldn't be upset if they did). Audiences generally roll their eyes and get upset when literal plots end up becoming amorphous metaphysical new-age explanations. Modern audiences are only satisfied by the physical and physical explanations, and anything else pisses them off.
[/quote]

And I have a hard time having the writers go for three and a half seasons of "The dieing leader" and then they reach Earth and she is alive. There is more to this Earth and has to be because there are 10 episodes left. This isn't the promise land because once they find it the president will die.

[quote name='bigdaddy']And I have a hard time having the writers go for three and a half seasons of "The dieing leader" and then they reach Earth and she is alive. There is more to this Earth and has to be because there are 10 episodes left. This isn't the promise land because once they find it the president will die.[/QUOTE]

Did you see the teaser for the next episodes?

I don't recall anything saying she had to die the moment they got to Earth, or before.

I know it said that the dieing leader will never step foot on the promise land.

She was standing on "Earth", which means one of three things.

She isn't the dieing leader.
There is no dieing leader.
It's not the promise land.

yeah the prophecy has something to do with the dying leader will lead them to earth but not finish the journey...

as for terra I like the idea, but they really have avoided the original series plotlines a lot so I do question if it is terra...makes sense though

[quote name='bigdaddy']I know it said that the dieing leader will never step foot on the promise land.

It's not the promise land.[/quote]

It would be a pretty big cop-out if we weren't really on Earth, so my guess is that it's really Earth, but obviously the 13th tribe has left it and found a new home that the fleet must find.

Since the 13th tribe has left clues to the way to Earth for the colonials I'm sure they would leave clues for them to help them find a new home.

Based on the trailer at the end of the episode
it's pretty likely that Roslin will be dying soon, since we saw Bill crying over a body covered by a flag. Plus Roslin told Lee in the episode that they would need him as president again soon, she must know the end is near

I do think it is Earth, but I think there is more to it than what meets the eye.

Plus the clips at the end aren't for the next episode, they can be for the next several episodes, so Roslin might live a lot longer.

Maybe the real race lives underground and they all worship a devise that turns out to be a bomb. ;)

My theory, there are 2 species of man on the planet, a peaceful above ground society and a species that live below ground that feeds off those that live above ground.

called it first!

Since the thirteenth tribe was suppose to be on earth, and the final 5 cylons supposedly had already been to Earth - Doesn't it make sense that the final 5 actually are from the thirteenth tribe? Which would essentially make the Cylons the thirteenth tribe.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Since the thirteenth tribe was suppose to be on earth, and the final 5 cylons supposedly had already been to Earth - Doesn't it make sense that the final 5 actually are from the thirteenth tribe? Which would essentially make the Cylons the thirteenth tribe.[/quote]
I think Ron Moore has said in an interview that the final five are fundamentally different from the other 7 cylon models though (though I don't remember him explaining exactly how, most likely because it would spoil certain things about them), so maybe only the final 5 are members of the thirteenth tribe.

Heck maybe the exact same Cylon rebellion happened to the thirteenth tribe and the final 5 are their humanoid Cylon models. All the evidence that we've see so far would seem to support it as a theory (though we don't know exactly why the final five, or at least 3 of them are helping the humans right now)

[quote name='homeland']My theory, there are 2 species of man on the planet, a peaceful above ground society and a species that live below ground that feeds off those that live above ground.

called it first![/quote]

You forgot about the fact they live with mutants and worship a nuclear bomb. :)

[quote name='homeland']My theory, there are 2 species of man on the planet, a peaceful above ground society and a species that live below ground that feeds off those that live above ground.

called it first![/quote]

Don't forget their names. The surface dwellers are called Eloi and the CHUDs are called Morlocks.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I know it said that the dieing leader will never step foot on the promise land.

It's not the promise land.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so taking this... if it IS Earth, and Roslin isn't dead, that means that she was not the same leader the prophecies spoke of. What about the 6 (Natalie?) that Athena shot? She was a leader, but of the Cylons, and she died pretty much (a couple of "days") just before stepping foot on Earth. She could be considered dying in the sense that all mortal things are moving towards death, and thus, dying... and she became mortal.

As a side note, how does everyone refer to measurements of time such as "days" and mean the same thing? All of the people from the different planets of the colonies would have different time spans for days, as would the Cylons. Just me being nitpicky, sorry. :p

caprica has been greenlight by the sci fi channel. It is set 50 years before the events of bsg. There will be little to no space travel. Listened to the last fridays episode of ign's channel surfering

bread's done
Back