Official Bull Moose Music thread! [Bull Moose last post: 07/08/09!]

3QGojo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but considering that there only seems to be locations in Maine/New Hampshire I never wanted to waste a post.

I'll list the ten locations right here (taken from the About Us page from www.bullmoose.com):

Bull Moose #1
151 Maine Street
Brunswick, Maine 04011
Ph: 207-725-1289
Hours: 9:00am – 10pm Tues-Sun
9am – midnight Mon

Bull Moose #2
Windham Shopping Center
North Windham, Maine 04062
Ph: 207-893-1303
Hours: 9:30am – 11pm Mon-Thurs
9:30am – midnight Fri-Sat
10am – 10pm Sun

Bull Moose #3
151 Middle Street
Portland, Maine 04101
Ph: 207-780-6424
Hours: 10am – 11pm every day

Bull Moose 4
Lewiston Mall
Lewiston, ME 04240
Ph: 207-784-6463
Hours: 9am – 9pm Mon-Sat
9am – 5pm Sun

Bull Moose #5
82-86 Congress Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801
Ph: 603-422-9525
9:30am – 11pm Tues-Sat
9:30am – midnight Mon

Bull Moose #6
Center For Shopping
Sanford, ME 04073
Ph: 207-324-5786
Hours: 9:30am – 10pm Mon-Sat
9:30am – 8pm Sun

Bull Moose #7
Elm Plaza
Waterville, ME 04901
Ph: 207-861-5884
Hours: 9am – 10p Mon-Sat
9am – 8pm Sun

Bull Moose Music #8
Maine Square Mall
683 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME 04401
Ph: 207-262-0410
Hours: 9am-11pm Tues-Sun
9am – midnight Mon

Bull Moose #9
356-366 So. Broadway
Salem, NH 03079
Ph: 603-898-6254
Hours: 10am – midnight every day

Bull Moose #10
456 Payne Rd.
Scarborough, ME 04074
Ph: 207-885-9553
Hours: 9am – 11pm Tues-Sun
9am – midnight Mon

If people could post deals or any specials that are going on at certain locations. Also post which location you went to so we can figure out if they're YMMV for different stores or if all the store are kind the same prices/trade-in value. Another note of interest is that Bull Moose always has new games that just came out for around $45.xx brand new and might be good for price matching at BB or CC.

When I went to the one in Scarborough, ME a couple days ago I picked up a NEW copy of DDR: Mario Mix for $45.97.

I also traded in:

Future Tactics (GC) for $6 a copy (2 copies for $12 credit)
Twisted Metal III (PS1) for $4 credit
Total credit: $16 (paid $6 for all 3 games; gained $10)

I would've gotten less if I had taken ca$h, but I grabbed Mario Mix so I used it all that day anyways.

Plus, I had an old copy of Q bert 3 for SNES lying around and they would've given me $2 for and Robotech Battlecry (PS2) that they were going to give me $6 for, so I just kept those two games.

That's about it, please post any deals promotions that you find and at which locations. I'd also like to see if we could get a small trade-in list going for these stores.

EDIT(1): Edited the title to make this the "official" Bull Moose thread. :)
EDIT(2): Edited the title to say when the last time Bull Moose made a post.
EDIT(3): Edited the title to notify everyone of Wii Preorder Bundle.
EDIT(4): Edited the title to notify everyone that Wii Preorders are SOLD OUT!
EDIT(5): Edited the title by taking out the Wii Bundle being sold out.
EDIT(6): Edited the title to notify Bull Moose was back and posting again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering where the Bull Moose Music guy went to? I'm still waiting for the prices on the games to be adjusted so I can go and grab some more games. :)

[quote name='3QGojo']Anyone go to Bull Moose recently?[/QUOTE]

Just went to the Scarborough one on Saturday looking for classic games. Their Atari 2600 stuff is ridiculously expensive ($6 for common games!!) and the NES stuff was pretty limited, but priced much more fairly. I ended up leaving with a PS2 game instead. They had Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition for $15, and I had enough points on my card that I could get it for half off. So, 7.50ish and I picked it up.

pretty interesting that even though they probably didnt name the store after this, the bull moose party was the party that theodore roosevelt ran for against taft back in 1912. That would be pretty interesting if we see a Populist gaming inc. or Eugene Debs gaming co. I know, I'm a history nerd, but hey, it would be interesting.

[quote name='ajumbaje']pretty interesting that even though they probably didnt name the store after this, the bull moose party was the party that theodore roosevelt ran for against taft back in 1912. That would be pretty interesting if we see a Populist gaming inc. or Eugene Debs gaming co. I know, I'm a history nerd, but hey, it would be interesting.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I had never heard of Bull Moose Music before this thread, but when I first saw the title, Teddy Roosevelt's name popped into my head and I thought "Weird, naming a store after a defunct political party that barely 1 in 10 people would remember from their history classes"....then I saw they were from Maine and it all made perfect sense! :)

Anyone else have any comments on the stores name?

Maybe this is where it came from or maybe from something else?

Thoughts?

When my school paper did a story on the store, the reporter said "I know why you named the store Bull Moose" and I said "really?".. She said "yeah, Teddy Roosevelt formed the Bull Moose party when he got sick of the other political parties screwing around, so you named it Bull Moose to signify that you were a new kind of store - one that doesn't screw around". Since that was so much better than the actual reason I named it Bull Moose, I said "oh, sure, you got it.". That 'fake' story behind the name ran in a number of different articles on the store as the 'real' reason behind the name.

The real reason is embarrassing at this point. I ran track and cross country in college and "Bull Moose" was the name of a running club that was so deep and intellectual that you joined by pounding a Rolling Rock beer out of your non-dominant hand and giving a current member a nickel. From that point forward you had to drink all alcoholic beverages out of your non-dominant hand or if caught in the wrong hand you would have to pound it. To anyone who owns something with our original logo on it (unlikely as there are only a couple dozen out there) if you look closely at the moose on it, the moose is wearing track spikes. So, now you know the real story!

[quote name='ajumbaje']pretty interesting that even though they probably didnt name the store after this, the bull moose party was the party that theodore roosevelt ran for against taft back in 1912. That would be pretty interesting if we see a Populist gaming inc. or Eugene Debs gaming co. I know, I'm a history nerd, but hey, it would be interesting.[/QUOTE]

Sorry the lack of updates - I was at a conference (a yawner, let me tell you) and then I caught the flu on the way back... I'll drop you an update within a couple of days when I feel better.

[quote name='3QGojo']I'm wondering where the Bull Moose Music guy went to? I'm still waiting for the prices on the games to be adjusted so I can go and grab some more games. :)[/QUOTE]

Bull Moose - it's really cool that you post here, but I have to say if you are in any position with the day to day runnings of the stores, you really need to have your staff be more careful pricing. I mentioned the two DS games I got really cheap because they were mispriced giving me about 20-25 bucks off... Well, the copy of Devil May Cry 3 I bought in Scarborough rang up wrong as well...I checked my receipt and it ran up as Devil May Cry 1 - only a $5 difference this time, but they will start to add up. The Lewiston store was FULL of mispriced games last time I was there. Again, not being critical, I certainly don't mind getting a DS game for less than half off, but as a company it might start to hurt a bit!

Edit: I found the Bull Moose Sticker that was on it, sure enough, the original Devil May Cry.

I believe that this Bull Moose person...is in fact Brett the guy that started Bull Moose. If that's the case than it's fantastic that he posts here, and I look forward to any updates he has. Also, very good story about how the store name was created. Also, I noticed on the Bull Moose website that there's a place to enter in a coupon codes, maybe as an added bonus to CAG's we could get a 10% off coupon like with EB online...if not that's cool, but I'd like to be able to use my Bull Moose card online at least! If that's possible then great! If not then I'll wait till it is possible! :)

I tried my hand at trading some of the CC games in:

Tekken Tag (PS2): $4
Gungrave Overdose (PS2): $4
Backyard Wrestling (XB): $5
Rogue Ops (PS2): $2
Rogue Ops (XB): $2
TOTAL: $17 CREDIT

My CC is pretty much right next to my Bull Moose (by the Maine Mall)...it wasn't worth it, but at least I didn't loose any $.

Bought all those games for $2.96/ea = $15.55

CREDIT: $17
SPENT: $15.55
DIFF: $1.45 GAINED

Definately not worth it IMHO. Although it was interesting that a game like Backyard Wrestling (XB) gets $5!

EDIT: I went back to CC to get the games I got price adjusted and another free game (since I got 5). It went smoothly and I got $3.11 back + another game!

So...

SPENT: $15.55 - $3.11 = $12.44
CREDIT: $17
SPENT: $12.44
GAINED: $4.56 (and 1 free game)

Slightly better but still not that great. I'll use the money at a place like Bull Moose, but CC doesn't deserve it. Still not worth it to do it again, but at least I got more money back! I was in the area anyways for a job interview so it wasn't out of my way either.

Thanks for the constructive criticism - it is helpful and I appreciate it. You're right, that we have some serious staff training issues in regard to games... Our folks are used to spotting if a Pearl Jam CD is the limited or non limited version et. al., but with games a few of our stores are not trained well enough to spot the correct version of a game. Games that have barcodes and scan correctly don't have the issue, but when they look up games in the database, it's clear that frequently errors are being made.

[quote name='n8littlefield']Bull Moose - it's really cool that you post here, but I have to say if you are in any position with the day to day runnings of the stores, you really need to have your staff be more careful pricing. I mentioned the two DS games I got really cheap because they were mispriced giving me about 20-25 bucks off... Well, the copy of Devil May Cry 3 I bought in Scarborough rang up wrong as well...I checked my receipt and it ran up as Devil May Cry 1 - only a $5 difference this time, but they will start to add up. The Lewiston store was FULL of mispriced games last time I was there. Again, not being critical, I certainly don't mind getting a DS game for less than half off, but as a company it might start to hurt a bit!

Edit: I found the Bull Moose Sticker that was on it, sure enough, the original Devil May Cry.[/QUOTE]

Right now our website is outsourced, so it sucks pretty bad. We're in the process of inhousing it, and when we do that, I'll have much more freedom over pricing/attaching FQB cards/etc.. It's a few months before it will all be ready --- I'm not making any promises, but I'll definitely keep CAGs in mind.

[quote name='3QGojo']I believe that this Bull Moose person...is in fact Brett the guy that started Bull Moose. If that's the case than it's fantastic that he posts here, and I look forward to any updates he has. Also, very good story about how the store name was created. Also, I noticed on the Bull Moose website that there's a place to enter in a coupon codes, maybe as an added bonus to CAG's we could get a 10% off coupon like with EB online...if not that's cool, but I'd like to be able to use my Bull Moose card online at least! If that's possible then great! If not then I'll wait till it is possible! :)[/QUOTE]

As a NH native I love Bull Moose. I currently live in Boston but ALWAYS drive up to salem to go to Bull Moose. I only buy my CD's there now as I'd rather support a small store who likes music and games rather than Best Buy or Circuit City, plus the bull moose card is a nice incentive. I will admit I do go to Newbury Comics if I can't find something I want...:p
I have gotten lucky on games there, and have found quite a few harder to find games, as many people don't know about Bull Moose and that they carry games.

Any plans for a Boston store so I don't have to drive?? :D

Yeah - I have to say I love Bullmoose. During Christmas, I had them special order some stuff and the speed that it arrived was absolutely insane. Just to give you an idea, my wife wanted Punky Brewster Season 2 (I know, I know...) and not only was Bullmoose $4 cheaper than any online store, but I ordered it Sat and it arrived by Tuesday. Absolutely blew me away.

In fact, the wife just bought my copy of Guitar Hero from them!

As a sidenote, I don't know if this was a company change or just change in personel at the local store - but I had actually stopped shopping at Bullmoose for awhile because it was so frickin' loud in the Lewiston store. For some reason they were always blaring German heavy metal (which I don't mind on occassion, but not while I'm out shopping). It was to the point that my wife wouldn't go in the store! I went back for the first time in months over the holidays and found it was much quieter in there and have been back alot more than I ever had. So kudos if that change was made on purpose!

Sometimes the music can be objectionable for small kids, but since I don't have any kids it doesn't bother me, but for some parents it might.

No - not objectionable in content, just objectionable in the volume and obnoxiousness level. I like Ramstein - but it certainly isn't the music I'd use to get people to stay awhile and browse and shop! It's been a ton better lately, more towards alternative or jazz even on occasion.

Yea, I went to the Portland store and the music was pretty bad, however, the Scarborough one seemed to play good stuff.

Any updates on anything from anybody?

I still have $17 credit at Bull Moose I have to use some time. I'll get around to it some day I'm sure.

Hey there,
I'm from Augusta and I love Bull Moose. Is there any chance of an Augusta location now that Sam Goody is moving out of the Turnpike Mall?

I hit the Bullmoose in Lewiston this weekend. I had picked up some games at the Circuit City clearance, played a bit of them but decided to trade them. I had about $25 in store credit (as opposed to the $13 that Gamestop offered me) and got Tony Hawk DS for $27ish. I hit Sam Goody in Augusta the weekend before last to see if they had any good clearance sales - even going out of business they're expensive!

If they did put a Bull Moose in Augusta I doubt they'd put it where Sam Goody is located (middle of nowhere). The place they'd put it is prolly the BIG shopping area where WAL-MART and everything else that has anything good can be found.

[quote name='beregarii']Hey there,
I'm from Augusta and I love Bull Moose. Is there any chance of an Augusta location now that Sam Goody is moving out of the Turnpike Mall?[/QUOTE]

Went to Bull Moose by the mall tonight and picked up a used/like new copy of Super Bust a Moove 2 for PS2 (complete) for $11.97! Best price I've seen for this game in a long time! :)

[quote name='3QGojo']If they did put a Bull Moose in Augusta I doubt they'd put it where Sam Goody is located (middle of nowhere). The place they'd put it is prolly the BIG shopping area where WAL-MART and everything else that has anything good can be found.[/QUOTE]

I really don't know where they could put one in Augusta. Over by Walmart makes sense, but there's already a Strawberries and an EB in that area, so music and games are already pretty well covered (plus I think Barnes & Nobles carries limited music/DVDs). I would say it would have to be on the side of town w/ Sears and Kmart, but not way out at the Turnpike Mall where Sam Goody was.

Maybe in the strip mall with Kmart would be best.

[quote name='n8littlefield']I really don't know where they could put one in Augusta. Over by Walmart makes sense, but there's already a Strawberries and an EB in that area, so music and games are already pretty well covered (plus I think Barnes & Nobles carries limited music/DVDs). I would say it would have to be on the side of town w/ Sears and Kmart, but not way out at the Turnpike Mall where Sam Goody was.

Maybe in the strip mall with Kmart would be best.[/QUOTE]
Actually, word on the street is that Christmas Tree Shops and Bed Bath and Beyond are moving into where Ames used to be at the Turnpike Mall so that should help that spot out. And, as far as music being covered in the area, we have Strawberries but they are way overpriced, Barnes & Noble that are the same and Wal*Mart who I loathe plus their selection is limited.

I do agree that a Bull Moose in Augusta would be great. I go to Video Game Exchange in downtown Augusta for any videgame purchases when I'm up there now.

No - I'm on a buying hold for the time being. I have a huge backlog that I have to kill a few games from before buying anything else. My copy of Ouendan for the DS just arrived and that's my last purchase until at least half my backlog is played.

I'll keep you guys updated on any shopping or trading I do at Bull Moose and how I make out. I've gotten so many good deals there in the past few months that Bull Moose is becoming one of my favorite stores along with TRU since these 2 places are where I get my best gaming deals.

Went to the So. Portland Bull Moose and picked up a copy of Street Fighter Alpha 3 (used/like new/complete) for $11.97. :)

EDIT: It was for the GBA :)

I keep checking in on the So. Portland one recently because I don't go there as much, so I feel like I'm missing out if I never go there. The Scarborough warehouse does have certain games that I've seen that are half off. Most of these are PS1 games and are priced at $25+ so half off of that has still made me want to pass.

Anyone else get any good deals lately?

Also, where did Brett go? I know he's prolly busy and all, but I miss his inside info, and I'm still waiting to hear about when they're going to change over to some new prices for the older games (so I can pcik some up)! :)

I keep checking in on Bull Moose every other day or so it seems. I've really become addicted. I've gotten some cheap games that I traded in at wherehouse.com for some good credit. I was gonna go back and pick up the copy of Futurama my GF found, but when I went back to get it it was gone. :(

Hey, if the bullmoose guy reads this, I know some bullmoose stores have records, are they inventoried or anything? I'm trying to finish off my phil ochs collection and I'm having difficulty with a few, was wondering if I went to a store if they could check and see if any others had the records in stock. I'd rather find them then buy them off ebay.

Looks like Scarborough Bull Moose has started price drops. Some rough prices on the classic stuff:

N64 $8
SNES $5
Genesis $4
NES $4

Don't remember the prices for the SegaCD/Saturn/SMS/Atari stuff, but I think they're a couple bucks cheaper than before.

Too bad the selection on all those is mainly common crap/old sports games that are worth about $1.00.

I picked up DC Metropolis Street Racer for $9, when it was marked $12.

[quote name='Beanage']Too bad the selection on all those is mainly common crap/old sports games that are worth about $1.00.[/QUOTE]

Then there probably hasn't really been any price drops because Brett said he was going to be pricing everything normally to what they are actually worth. If those games are worth about $1 then it was my understanding that they are going to price them as such.

Went to Bull Moose by the mall today and scored a copy of Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast for the Gamecube. It is complete/mint condition and I bought it for $28.97! I also picked up a Star Wars Bounty Hunter: Limited Edition cover used/complete (PS2) for $11.97. Overall not a bad day at my local Bull Moose!

[quote name='3QGojo']Then there probably hasn't really been any price drops because Brett said he was going to be pricing everything normally to what they are actually worth. If those games are worth about $1 then it was my understanding that they are going to price them as such.[/QUOTE]

No - he's right, alot of their classic games are priced much more than they are worth. I went in looking at NES and Atari games and they had Pacman for the Atari priced at either 4 or 5 bucks, when really the thing goes for between .50 to $1. The NES stuff was also overpriced, I think I saw like 15 copies of Double Dribble for about 3-4 bucks each, I had picked mine up for .95 - like pretty much all NES sports games in my collection.

They really could stand to hire someone that knows classic gaming to come in like once a week and price according to what they are worth - wanna hire me? I'll come down every weekend and re-price stuff that's come in...heck, I'll even work for store credit and first dibbs at the Atari and NES games that come in! :)

[quote name='n8littlefield']No - he's right, alot of their classic games are priced much more than they are worth. I went in looking at NES and Atari games and they had Pacman for the Atari priced at either 4 or 5 bucks, when really the thing goes for between .50 to $1. The NES stuff was also overpriced, I think I saw like 15 copies of Double Dribble for about 3-4 bucks each, I had picked mine up for .95 - like pretty much all NES sports games in my collection.

They really could stand to hire someone that knows classic gaming to come in like once a week and price according to what they are worth - wanna hire me? I'll come down every weekend and re-price stuff that's come in...heck, I'll even work for store credit and first dibbs at the Atari and NES games that come in! :)[/QUOTE]

NOOOO! Hire me, I live right in Portland and could go to either the Scarborough or the So. Portland store! I'll work for $$ or that store credit incentive sounds good too! Anyways, to be honest I saw a "NOW HIRING" sign in the Bull Moose in Scarborough by the Mall.

[quote name='n8littlefield']Hey, 3qgojo - I have to ask - where do you/did you go to high school - the picture in your profile looks insanely familiar to me.[/QUOTE]

I went to Cony High School in Augusta, ME but that picture was taken my Soph. year in college at USM.

That's funny. I taught at Cony High School, math and computers to be exact. I don't teach anymore though.

Do you by any chance remember wasting alot of study hall time with a four way chess board?

That's really bizarre. I taught at Cony for 2 years, from 2000 - 2002. The really weird part is that if 3Q is who I think he is (and unless he has a brother who looks EXACTLY like him, I think I'm right) - I actually had him in a few of my classes...

Of course - that was before I quit teaching for the high life and wealth of customer service :) . I quit teaching when I left Cony - I was just too young and fresh from college at the time to be overly "teacher-y".

bread's done
Back