Official Bull Moose Music thread! [Bull Moose last post: 07/08/09!]

3QGojo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but considering that there only seems to be locations in Maine/New Hampshire I never wanted to waste a post.

I'll list the ten locations right here (taken from the About Us page from www.bullmoose.com):

Bull Moose #1
151 Maine Street
Brunswick, Maine 04011
Ph: 207-725-1289
Hours: 9:00am – 10pm Tues-Sun
9am – midnight Mon

Bull Moose #2
Windham Shopping Center
North Windham, Maine 04062
Ph: 207-893-1303
Hours: 9:30am – 11pm Mon-Thurs
9:30am – midnight Fri-Sat
10am – 10pm Sun

Bull Moose #3
151 Middle Street
Portland, Maine 04101
Ph: 207-780-6424
Hours: 10am – 11pm every day

Bull Moose 4
Lewiston Mall
Lewiston, ME 04240
Ph: 207-784-6463
Hours: 9am – 9pm Mon-Sat
9am – 5pm Sun

Bull Moose #5
82-86 Congress Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801
Ph: 603-422-9525
9:30am – 11pm Tues-Sat
9:30am – midnight Mon

Bull Moose #6
Center For Shopping
Sanford, ME 04073
Ph: 207-324-5786
Hours: 9:30am – 10pm Mon-Sat
9:30am – 8pm Sun

Bull Moose #7
Elm Plaza
Waterville, ME 04901
Ph: 207-861-5884
Hours: 9am – 10p Mon-Sat
9am – 8pm Sun

Bull Moose Music #8
Maine Square Mall
683 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME 04401
Ph: 207-262-0410
Hours: 9am-11pm Tues-Sun
9am – midnight Mon

Bull Moose #9
356-366 So. Broadway
Salem, NH 03079
Ph: 603-898-6254
Hours: 10am – midnight every day

Bull Moose #10
456 Payne Rd.
Scarborough, ME 04074
Ph: 207-885-9553
Hours: 9am – 11pm Tues-Sun
9am – midnight Mon

If people could post deals or any specials that are going on at certain locations. Also post which location you went to so we can figure out if they're YMMV for different stores or if all the store are kind the same prices/trade-in value. Another note of interest is that Bull Moose always has new games that just came out for around $45.xx brand new and might be good for price matching at BB or CC.

When I went to the one in Scarborough, ME a couple days ago I picked up a NEW copy of DDR: Mario Mix for $45.97.

I also traded in:

Future Tactics (GC) for $6 a copy (2 copies for $12 credit)
Twisted Metal III (PS1) for $4 credit
Total credit: $16 (paid $6 for all 3 games; gained $10)

I would've gotten less if I had taken ca$h, but I grabbed Mario Mix so I used it all that day anyways.

Plus, I had an old copy of Q bert 3 for SNES lying around and they would've given me $2 for and Robotech Battlecry (PS2) that they were going to give me $6 for, so I just kept those two games.

That's about it, please post any deals promotions that you find and at which locations. I'd also like to see if we could get a small trade-in list going for these stores.

EDIT(1): Edited the title to make this the "official" Bull Moose thread. :)
EDIT(2): Edited the title to say when the last time Bull Moose made a post.
EDIT(3): Edited the title to notify everyone of Wii Preorder Bundle.
EDIT(4): Edited the title to notify everyone that Wii Preorders are SOLD OUT!
EDIT(5): Edited the title by taking out the Wii Bundle being sold out.
EDIT(6): Edited the title to notify Bull Moose was back and posting again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing about the scanning of the back barcode (I haven't done it yet), but the question is if I wanted to buy a game for example like God of War (PS2) that is priced at $28.xx and have them scan the back of it will it come up the MSRP ($19.99) since it's now a Greatest Hits game? From what you're saying it should come up at $19.99 by scanning the back. I guess the question is should I get that price or a slightly lower price (since Bull Moose always has slightly lower price points).

Another thing that I'd like to mention that I'm sure the average consumer might not know about (but the average CAG does). There is a coupon at Best Buy called the "Gamer's Gift Card" that has a $5 off any $19.99 game and up on the back of it. Meaning thatit turns any game in Best Buy into $19.99--->$14.99 and so on. It basically knocks $5 off any game priced at $19.99+. I don't expect Bull Moose to compete by having it's own coupon, but I do go to Best Buy to get some games for even a little bit cheaper. If a game comes out for $39.99 and I can get it for $34.99 at Best Buy and Bull Moose is selling it for $36.90 (which is still a great price) I sometimes tend to go to Best Buy (since I might be going to the mall anyways).

So I guess what I'm asking is if there is anyway for us CAG's to get any exclusive deals/previews/info before it comes out. Although, I guess that's what you're already doing by posting on this site and giving us some very helpful information. All in all I commend your efforts to turn your gaming section around and I will continue to support your store! :)

BTW, I don't know if you store information in the database for the Bull Moose Card, but my name is Michael King and I was wondering if you do store my inforation on the card? Props to you guys at Bull Moose and keep improving the store!

[quote name='Bull Moose']About our mispricing of games that get reduced in price...
That has been a big problem for us --- with music and movies, the list prices change much more slowly, and we generally don't have to hit the floor to reprice inventory... but for games, as you rightfully point out, there are HUGE changes in list prices sometimes within a month or two of release.

So at first we had trouble getting the price changes from the publishers in a timely fashion --- then we fixed that issue...

After we got that info then we really really sucked at changing the prices as they happened because we never had a system to do it --- meaning that it's one thing to tell people to reprice stuff, but it's another thing entirely to have the management in place to make sure it's done and to have it scheduled so it's not overlooked.

So, we now just really suck at it instead of really really sucking. It will take us another month or two to get it together completely.

Sorry to hear about your three different prices, we're getting better at it but haven't gotten through fixing it yet... I can give you a hint on how to try to get the correct lower price if something wasn't repriced correctly. Now don't get me wrong, a customer shouldn't be expected to have to do this by any means and it is TOTALLY our fault for not getting it done right, but in the meantime if you want the correct price on a "should be marked down" title, you can ask our staff to scan the BACK barcode (the UPC) instead of our barcode. I'm almost sure they'll do it --- you can say that you heard it went down in price and can they scan the back to check ---- if it did go down in price, they will definitely give you that lower price --- if it didn't scan at a lower price, let me know 'cause then we have a data problem... I'd appreciate if you didn't let on how you know about the back scanning of the barcode --- because it would be better to not have a million people trying to scan the back barcode and then the staff thinking, hey maybe I should check every single one on the way out rather than correcting the ones out on the floor!! The point, of course, being that the price that you see should be correct and you shouldn't have to ask someone to check it each time! But I pass on this "psuedo" secret to you guys in hopes you'll keep it relatively under wraps. But anytime you see anything mispriced (I know there are tons) feel free to let me know --- we're working on it --- gotta ways to go, that's for sure, but we are improving...[/QUOTE]

I got a chance to go to the Bangor Bull Moose this weekend (was up there visiting my gf's parents anyways) and I scored a BRAND NEW copy of Disgaea: Hour of Darkness for $46.xx. Not a bad price considering GQD has been sold out and it's still pretty expensive (as far as I've seen). That's all for now! :)

EDIT: I just looked at the price tag and it said $43.52 so even better! :)

Yes --- except hopefully it will be priced right (in this case 18.31) to begin with! We're getting better at it, but you're right for the ones we've blown that scanning the back will in almost all cases get the right price. But hopefully you won't have to do that!

As for the questions about policy with booklets/etc., it sounds like from the varied experience that you all have had means that we may not have a standardized policy --- when I'm back at work next week, I'll check into it for you, and if we don't, this is a good opportunity to decide on a reasonable policy for that.

[quote name='3QGojo']One more thing about the scanning of the back barcode (I haven't done it yet), but the question is if I wanted to buy a game for example like God of War (PS2) that is priced at $28.xx and have them scan the back of it will it come up the MSRP ($19.99) since it's now a Greatest Hits game? From what you're saying it should come up at $19.99 by scanning the back. I guess the question is should I get that price or a slightly lower price (since Bull Moose always has slightly lower price points).

Another thing that I'd like to mention that I'm sure the average consumer might not know about (but the average CAG does). There is a coupon at Best Buy called the "Gamer's Gift Card" that has a $5 off any $19.99 game and up on the back of it. Meaning thatit turns any game in Best Buy into $19.99--->$14.99 and so on. It basically knocks $5 off any game priced at $19.99+. I don't expect Bull Moose to compete by having it's own coupon, but I do go to Best Buy to get some games for even a little bit cheaper. If a game comes out for $39.99 and I can get it for $34.99 at Best Buy and Bull Moose is selling it for $36.90 (which is still a great price) I sometimes tend to go to Best Buy (since I might be going to the mall anyways).

So I guess what I'm asking is if there is anyway for us CAG's to get any exclusive deals/previews/info before it comes out. Although, I guess that's what you're already doing by posting on this site and giving us some very helpful information. All in all I commend your efforts to turn your gaming section around and I will continue to support your store! :)

BTW, I don't know if you store information in the database for the Bull Moose Card, but my name is Michael King and I was wondering if you do store my inforation on the card? Props to you guys at Bull Moose and keep improving the store![/quote]

Thanks for the feedback on booklets. I wonder if maybe the Scarborough store takes Gameboy games w/out but the others don't as Scarborough just takes the GBA games w/out books and prices them at one flat price regardless of title. I visited the Scarborough store a few weeks ago and have to say, I've never seen so many N64 games in one store! I hate to think how long it's going to take them to get rid of all of those!

Bull Moose - I hate to put you on the spot like we seem to be doing over and over again :) but you mentioned the Lewiston store doesn't sell as many games as others. I was in there the other day (and will be back on Tuesday as a new Wiggles DVD comes out...) and noticed that it just feels like the games section doesn't get a whole lot of attention.

In that, I mean, the other areas of the store (sections your employees probably are really knowledgable about) have staff suggestions, some have handdrawn dividers, if a band has a DVD out, it might be displayed with their CD's sometimes, etc. The games just kind of are there shoved in the corner. Have you considered maybe on the opposite wall (with the staff suggestions) putting some suggested games? Or maybe even have some themed sales, like Handheld month, Classic Gaming Month, Sports month...something to actually get that area noticed? I mean, your prices are REALLY good (the best by FAR for the Lewiston/Auburn area) it's a shame that it's hard to notice as all the games are lined up against a wall with no real push.

The rest of the store just has so much personality and has such a personal touch by the workers (toy rats smoking on the counter, posters drawn on by staff, all the staff recommendations throughout the store) that the games area just doesn't have that same "Bull Moose" feeling, if you will. Just the 2cents of a fairly regular shopper, no need to reply if it's way off base :)

That's a good suggestion Mr. Littlefield! Making the gaming section more attractive with suggested titles might help some (although I usually know what I want when I go in). However, others like my step-dad might do some impulse purchasing. However hard it may seem to keep up with game prices, I really commend the efforts Bull Moose is putting into the stores and I for one NEVER want to see Bull Moose stop selling games. I do pick up a DVD/CD there every now and again, but to be honest I've been doing a lot of game shopping there lately. I'm at 19.80 points and I can't wait to get between 25-50 points so I can get something for real cheap!

[quote name='n8littlefield']Thanks for the feedback on booklets. I wonder if maybe the Scarborough store takes Gameboy games w/out but the others don't as Scarborough just takes the GBA games w/out books and prices them at one flat price regardless of title. I visited the Scarborough store a few weeks ago and have to say, I've never seen so many N64 games in one store! I hate to think how long it's going to take them to get rid of all of those!

Bull Moose - I hate to put you on the spot like we seem to be doing over and over again :) but you mentioned the Lewiston store doesn't sell as many games as others. I was in there the other day (and will be back on Tuesday as a new Wiggles DVD comes out...) and noticed that it just feels like the games section doesn't get a whole lot of attention.

In that, I mean, the other areas of the store (sections your employees probably are really knowledgable about) have staff suggestions, some have handdrawn dividers, if a band has a DVD out, it might be displayed with their CD's sometimes, etc. The games just kind of are there shoved in the corner. Have you considered maybe on the opposite wall (with the staff suggestions) putting some suggested games? Or maybe even have some themed sales, like Handheld month, Classic Gaming Month, Sports month...something to actually get that area noticed? I mean, your prices are REALLY good (the best by FAR for the Lewiston/Auburn area) it's a shame that it's hard to notice as all the games are lined up against a wall with no real push.

The rest of the store just has so much personality and has such a personal touch by the workers (toy rats smoking on the counter, posters drawn on by staff, all the staff recommendations throughout the store) that the games area just doesn't have that same "Bull Moose" feeling, if you will. Just the 2cents of a fairly regular shopper, no need to reply if it's way off base :)[/QUOTE]

Awesome ideas - thanks!!

[quote name='n8littlefield']Thanks for the feedback on booklets. I wonder if maybe the Scarborough store takes Gameboy games w/out but the others don't as Scarborough just takes the GBA games w/out books and prices them at one flat price regardless of title. I visited the Scarborough store a few weeks ago and have to say, I've never seen so many N64 games in one store! I hate to think how long it's going to take them to get rid of all of those!

The rest of the store just has so much personality and has such a personal touch by the workers (toy rats smoking on the counter, posters drawn on by staff, all the staff recommendations throughout the store) that the games area just doesn't have that same "Bull Moose" feeling, if you will. Just the 2cents of a fairly regular shopper, no need to reply if it's way off base :)[/quote]

Sorry I missed the second part of your message here...

I will definitely consider the BB gamer card thing --- so I'm guessing that savvy shoppers like you guys go and buy a gift card and then immediately go and buy a game at 5 bucks off? How does that work - do they make you wait to use it or can you go and use it immediately?

Also, about the FQB card thing, yes, we do store that data. It is our own point of sale system, so your sales data/phone/e-mail/whatever are kept totally private by us unless you ask us to reveal something...So if you ever need a listing of what you've bought and/or sold back, I can give it to you.

[quote name='3QGojo']

BTW, I don't know if you store information in the database for the Bull Moose Card, but my name is Michael King and I was wondering if you do store my inforation on the card? Props to you guys at Bull Moose and keep improving the store![/quote]

I haven't shopped as much for CD's or DVD's as I used to either. This week, like I said, a new DVD comes out that I'm picking up for Lucas (my son) and I think I have enough points to half price it.

I have pretty much switched over to shopping for games completely at Bull Moose as well. Except for my classic games, I hit Video Game Exchange in Augusta for those. It's as much for the good prices as it is for not being hastled. I don't know how Gamestop/EB are down there in Portland Mike, but up here it's "Preordering anything today?" "Why don't you trade in your DS for a PSP?" and all sorts of other stuff that their corporate people make them ask you. I'd rather just browse and be left alone!

Rumor is saying Best Buy is coming to Auburn - I don't know how that will work out, but even if it does, I'm expecting a smaller one (like the one in Bangor if you've been there). It will be nice to actually be able to buy computer stuff without heading to Portland though.

Edit: To Bull Moose, the Best Buy Gift Card thing is basically a gift card that gives the user $5 off any game over $20. In theory, it's so that when someone is given a gift card, it's a nice little extra bonus. However, a lot of gamers buy one, then go back in line and buy a game with that card to get $5 off. I think Best Buy was in the process of getting rid of them because of that, but I could be wrong.

[quote name='n8littlefield']
I have pretty much switched over to shopping for games completely at Bull Moose as well. Except for my classic games, I hit Video Game Exchange in Augusta for those. It's as much for the good prices as it is for not being hastled. I don't know how Gamestop/EB are down there in Portland Mike, but up here it's "Preordering anything today?" "Why don't you trade in your DS for a PSP?" and all sorts of other stuff that their corporate people make them ask you. I'd rather just browse and be left alone!
[/QUOTE]

I may be looking to unload some of my NES games. I went up to Video Game Exchange last week, and was a little bummed that they don't really have anything for any of the niche systems. Their prices on games are nice, but the selection is really lacking.

The EB in Augusta is hands down the worst for pushy salesmen. The last time I was in there, after I told one I was just looking around, a salesman proceeded to hand me an ad and say "You can look through this, circle what you want, come back, and I'll help you find it." Whatever happened to "OK, if you need anything, let me know?" It's their job, but good lord, is it ever annoying. I haven't been back there since.

Video Game Exchange generally doesn't have a lot for the niche systems. I've seen Saturn games there, and I've seen a Jaguar system and games as a set (and almost brought it home) but I just don't think he gets them in that often. I really only collect actively for NES and Atari 2600 (which he doesn't have). I basically hit them for NES and the Pride's Corner Flea in Westbrook for NES/Atari. I did find a few NES games I needed at Bullmoose last time I was in the Scarborough store - I don't know what they have for niche systems though - maybe Bull Moose could answer what systems they'll take games for.

I haven't been to the EB in Augusta for quite awhile. I usually stick to the EB/Gamestop in Auburn if I have to get something there - they have to push stuff like presales, but they aren't nearly as bad as Portland. To me, the worst is EB in South Portland, by far the worst in terms of pushing stuff you don't want and following you around if they smell money - I will not buy there again unless they have a major shift in management/workers.

Well, as far as EB/Gamestop go I've always hated Gamestop and now since EB is owned by them, I have reason to hate EB as well (example: not being ablt to stack coupon codes on EB's website anymore). The EB in the mall isn't too bad, it just depends on who is working there. If it's that long haired freak that looks like he's from Rocky Horror stay away! Anyways, the Gamestop over by Target is the only one that I can stand since they're more like the old EB than anything. I haven't had much trouble with the EB in the mall or the GS over by Target, but I went to the Gamestop up in Bangor and boy do they suck, they asked me for everything, so yea I can see what you mean about being bugged. Places like Bull Moose and Video Game Exchange don't bug people about preorders and such, which is fantastic.

To Bull Moose:
What the GGC basically is:
It's a gift card that you can put money on, and on the back there's a $5 off any videogame $19.99 and up. I wasn't sure if they'd be back in stock as Mr. Littlefield stated above, but the last time I went to the Best Buy in the mall I saw them. Last year they were green and this year they are blue. I believe there's a thread about them somewhere on this forum as well. I'm not sure if they've changed how much you're able to put on the card because last year they told me I could put any amount on it (so I ended up putting on 1 cent per card), which was great because I didn't end up using all of them. However, I was allowed to use it on the day I bought it so it didn't matter what amount I put on it, meaning that I could go to the register and buy the card and put let's say $5 on the card. Then I'd go pick up a videogame for $19.99 and use the $5 coupon to knock it down to $14.99 and then use the gift card (since it;s basically cash) ro knock it down to $9.99 and then just pay the rest with actual cash. So, you end up getting a game for $5 off whatever the price is. So someone like me would end up paying slightly less at a place like Best Buy than Bull Moose.

[quote name='n8littlefield']I haven't shopped as much for CD's or DVD's as I used to either. This week, like I said, a new DVD comes out that I'm picking up for Lucas (my son) and I think I have enough points to half price it.

Rumor is saying Best Buy is coming to Auburn - I don't know how that will work out, but even if it does, I'm expecting a smaller one (like the one in Bangor if you've been there). It will be nice to actually be able to buy computer stuff without heading to Portland though.

Edit: To Bull Moose, the Best Buy Gift Card thing is basically a gift card that gives the user $5 off any game over $20. In theory, it's so that when someone is given a gift card, it's a nice little extra bonus. However, a lot of gamers buy one, then go back in line and buy a game with that card to get $5 off. I think Best Buy was in the process of getting rid of them because of that, but I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='3QGojo']If it's that long haired freak that looks like he's from Rocky Horror stay away! [/QUOTE]

That's exactly the guy I'm talking about. There also used to be a manager there with glasses that used to bug the heck out of me. But mostly it's that guy with the long stringy hair that makes me never shop there!

The closest store to me is Bull Moose in Lewiston, but most of the time I'll go the EB in Auburn. I've given up on browsing for the most part; I'm about ready to switch hobbies over to board games.

If you switch to board games, make sure you give your old NES games a nice, loving home (in other words PM me if you start selling off your games :) )!

Edit: BTW Mike, was that your school that was evacuated today? We got an email at work that one of the colleges campuses had to be evacuated due to threats - was that you folks?

Yes, it was USM becuase of a Bomb threat. USM classes before 4:00PM were cancelled on Monday beause of a bomb threat, but I don't even have class on Mondays, so it's just another wasted cancellation for me. We had 2 snow days this year, one on Monday and another on Wednesday...and I only have classes on Tuesday/Thursday thinking that if I pack all my classes in on two days then there's a higher chance of getting a snow day on one and having to only go to class one day that week *sigh* but it didn't work out that way. :(

[quote name='n8littlefield']If you switch to board games, make sure you give your old NES games a nice, loving home (in other words PM me if you start selling off your games :) )!

Edit: BTW Mike, was that your school that was evacuated today? We got an email at work that one of the colleges campuses had to be evacuated due to threats - was that you folks?[/QUOTE]

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and remove my complaint from here - I decided this really isn't the place. Basically, I posted a story about an issue I had (well, actually my wife had) with a Bull Moose employee that kind of ticked me off. I went back to delete, or at least soften up :) my post, and realized Bull Moose was already online reading it - so it was pretty much pointless.

I went ahead and PM'd Bull Moose and let him know I am removing the story, and told him to feel free to do the same. This board is more to post store reports, not me bitching about a worker that annoyed me.

Except that guy at EB in South Portland, he's still fair game!

I'll say that you are definitely NOT out of line for posting it here - I appreciate it! If anyone has an issue with any of my stores and is just lurking here, I would much rather know about it so we have the chance to correct it rather than not know. In some ways the kindest thing a customer can do is to let a merchant know when they have gone wrong.

I am very sorry for how poorly your wife was treated.

So, we really screwed that up - since you say you like to hear how these things work behind the scenes, here goes:

Probably 99% of the new releases that we carry that come out on Tuesday, we receive either the Friday afternoon or Monday before "streetdate". However, the Wiggles DVD was originally not ordered for the Lewiston store. When I saw your post mentioning the Wiggles DVD yesterday I checked in our computer and saw it wasn't on order, so I let our buyer know to please bring in a Wiggles DVD for the store. She placed the order with our overnight carrier (normally we order from a specific supplier, but in a pinch we can pull stuff in overnight). So, the Wiggles "It's Time to Wake Up Jeff" DVDs arrived in North Windham, Portland, Portsmouth, Bangor and Salem today, but at none of the other locations. So our carrier/one stop blew it on the delivery. When I saw your message, I dropped a query to our overnight carrier to see what went wrong.

That's why the DVD isn't in the store, but, of course, it doesn't even begin to excuse the horrible customer service your wife received.

I've got a few promotional children's VHS and DVDs that I'll drop into the mail for you and your family (I'm assuming your address is correct on your FQB card) that I hope you'll accept with our apologies for our poor service.

[quote name='n8littlefield']OK - I'm going to vent for a moment. Please forgive me Bull Moose and please don't feel obligated to respond to this, but I'm really, really annoyed and well, this is where I would normally post my gripe...

So, as you folks read, a few weeks ago, I took some stuff into the Lewiston store and was not offered what I felt was a fair tradein by the store manager. Well, I took them back (on Bull Moose's advise) and sure enough it was a mistake and I got a much better amount.

Well, today was Wiggles day in the Littlefield household. A new Wiggles DVD was coming out, and since it was on the Bullmoose website, I figured what a great chance to use the points I had accumulated and pick it up on the cheap.

My wife went into the Lewiston store and looked in the kids section and didn't see it, so she asked about it at the desk. She had the same gentleman I had dealt with before and he couldn't find it listed. She gave them the name it was released under, she gave him the title it was listed as on the bullmoose website (it had a name change just prior to release), and he still couldn't find it.

At one point he even said (quite abruptly according to her, but I wasn't there, so I can't really say) "Well, I guess you don't really know the name of it then." She said "It's on your website, it is under this title, but was renamed to this title like a week ago. But it's on your website, I could go home and order it". He told her being on the website meant nothing. Finally, he found the most recent release and told her it was backordered. It just came out today! She went four doors down to Sears of all places, and guess what - they had a copy that she bought.

I REALLY hate to bitch about this knowing that someone from Bull Moose will probably read this, especially given how incredibly helpful Brett has been in the past. Mike can vouch for me, I'm really a very low key, mellow guy :) I love the Lewiston Bull Moose normally, but I have to say, this manager is driving me apenuts.

Edit: BTW, if someone thinks I'm being out of line in posting this here, let me know by PM and I'll gladly remove it. Like I said, I was really unsure about posting it given how incredibly nice Bull Moose has been, but I felt that I wouldn't think twice about posting this if it were Gamestop or EB so I went ahead and posted.[/quote]

I would agree that posting problems here isn't a bad idea at all. In fact it's a great idea, this thread was originally started about what deals were going on at Bull Moose and the variety in pricing ect...however it's turn into something even bigger and better since Brett has come to us and is constantly taking our suggestions to heart. This is the reason why I love Bull Moose, because if they do something wrong, then they want you to tell them about it so they can correct the problem. They aren't like other companies that seem faceless and seem to not really care about the average customer.

I know Mr. Littlefield wouldn't post unless it was something he felt that was important, and obviously getting this DVD on the day it was released and being excited about using his points to get it half off was even better. In the end he was disappointed that Bull Moose dropped the ball on this one and on top of that didn't even own up to it.

This thread has turned into so much more than what it was originally, and for the better too. I feel that with Brett constantly visiting our site (aside from having a local celebrity in our midst) we also have someone that is in a position to make changes at Bull Moose, and on top of that he's willing to listen to us and make changes because he knows that Bull Moose is lacking in the videogame department and he is making an effort to correct any issues that may come up.

I say as long as no one goes so far as to start a long drawn out rant (like a flame) then everything can be construde as constructive criticism. I wouldn't want to see anyone totally bash Bull Moose, but what you did is provide feedback for Brett. I think if every store was as actively attentive as Bull Moose the world would be a better place.

[quote name='Bull Moose']I'll say that you are definitely NOT out of line for posting it here - I appreciate it! If anyone has an issue with any of my stores and is just lurking here, I would much rather know about it so we have the chance to correct it rather than not know. In some ways the kindest thing a customer can do is to let a merchant know when they have gone wrong.

I am very sorry for how poorly your wife was treated.

So, we really screwed that up - since you say you like to hear how these things work behind the scenes, here goes:

Probably 99% of the new releases that we carry that come out on Tuesday, we receive either the Friday afternoon or Monday before "streetdate". However, the Wiggles DVD was originally not ordered for the Lewiston store. When I saw your post mentioning the Wiggles DVD yesterday I checked in our computer and saw it wasn't on order, so I let our buyer know to please bring in a Wiggles DVD for the store. She placed the order with our overnight carrier (normally we order from a specific supplier, but in a pinch we can pull stuff in overnight). So, the Wiggles "It's Time to Wake Up Jeff" DVDs arrived in North Windham, Portland, Portsmouth, Bangor and Salem today, but at none of the other locations. So our carrier/one stop blew it on the delivery. When I saw your message, I dropped a query to our overnight carrier to see what went wrong.

That's why the DVD isn't in the store, but, of course, it doesn't even begin to excuse the horrible customer service your wife received.

I've got a few promotional children's VHS and DVDs that I'll drop into the mail for you and your family (I'm assuming your address is correct on your FQB card) that I hope you'll accept with our apologies for our poor service.[/QUOTE]

Figured I'd quote myself, I didn't know if you saw my reply on the Gamer's Gift Card that Besbuy offers.

[quote name='3QGojo']
To Bull Moose:
What the GGC basically is:
It's a gift card that you can put money on, and on the back there's a $5 off any videogame $19.99 and up. I wasn't sure if they'd be back in stock as Mr. Littlefield stated above, but the last time I went to the Best Buy in the mall I saw them. Last year they were green and this year they are blue. I believe there's a thread about them somewhere on this forum as well. I'm not sure if they've changed how much you're able to put on the card because last year they told me I could put any amount on it (so I ended up putting on 1 cent per card), which was great because I didn't end up using all of them. However, I was allowed to use it on the day I bought it so it didn't matter what amount I put on it, meaning that I could go to the register and buy the card and put let's say $5 on the card. Then I'd go pick up a videogame for $19.99 and use the $5 coupon to knock it down to $14.99 and then use the gift card (since it;s basically cash) ro knock it down to $9.99 and then just pay the rest with actual cash. So, you end up getting a game for $5 off whatever the price is. So someone like me would end up paying slightly less at a place like Best Buy than Bull Moose.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if he had just said "sorry, it'll be in later this week" that would have been fine. I'm not really that upset that Bullmoose didn't have kid's DVD on the day it was released. It was more how my wife felt she was treated. She admits that in the end, she was giving it right back to him (she's not one to back down). But, I was just ticked that he would accuse her of not knowing the name of the DVD she was looking for.

One of the reasons that I felt pretty bad about my rant was knowing the guy was in fact the manager meant it was someone Brett knows personally, and I know I'd feel pretty crappy if I went on the web and read stuff about my coworkers/friends/acquaintances accusing them of being rude to a customer. I know I don't always provide perfect customer service, but normally I get great service at Bullmoose so it really surprised me.

If anything it's a compliment to Bull Moose that I was shocked when we didn't receive amazing service. The workers there are always great - insanely knowledgable about music, and to me are the reason that Bull Moose is a relaxed, friendly place to shop. I think that's why I was so surprised.

I checked out the Bull Moose in Windham today, nothing that spectacular there. I was in the area for a job interview, so I figured I'd check out the local Bull Moose. I think that I'm spoiled by all the good deals that I find at the Scarborough Warehouse that I just expect all the others to have such a wide selection and variety. Oh well, at least I live close to the Scarborough store! :)

Also, I have a question for Bull Moose:

Have you updated your trade-in prices on most of your older games yet? Because I'm trying to figure out how much I would get for certain games by how they're priced on the front barcode that Bull Moose puts on it. Meaning that if you sell a new copy of game A for $46.xx and the used copy of game A for $28.xx (seems like your newer games that are used are always 28, which is awesome by the way), then how much would I get for game A if I brought it into the store? If it goes by the front bardcode for trade-ins then would it give me $21? Seeing how the front Bull Moose made barcode isn't on it when I trade it in I wonder if it goes by the back barcode? I'm assuming it does, but you've told me in a previous post that the back barcode will show the actual retail price.

So here's the scenario:
After noticing the pricing on game A (as stated above) I bring in a used copy of game A (in fantastic condition like all my games are, so condition isn't an issue). Now when I bring in game A would I get between $14-$21 for it, since the sticker on the shelve says it sells for $28.xx used, or would it ring up as saying that game A has been priced wrong for awhile now and that a new copy should go for $26.74 and a used copy should sell for $22.90 (thus lowering the trade-in value offered to me to around $6-$12). Does the computer do this or not? After I'm offered the trade-in price (if I accept the $6-$12) would the associate then marked the game down to the correct price (or even keep it the same higher price)?

EDIT: The "game A" I was referring to is Geist for the Gamecube that sells for $9.99 at Bestbuy and $9.98 at Toys R' Us, yet Bull Moose still has it marked at $49.99 for a new copy. I mean if I had this game what could I trade it in for $6 maybe? Then after trading it in would the eemployee just look at what a new copy goes for and mark it at $28.xx? That seems to be the trend.

One more question about price matching:
Do you guys price match by flyers/ads only or could I have an associate call the store and check with them about a price? I could see why you might not call because it might hold up people in line.

While I'm far from an expert, and look forward to Bull Moose's answer to this, my observation would be that you would be paid the lower amount based on the back barcode.

Case in point: I have a copy of XIII for the PS2. I brought it in for trade as I had noticed that they were selling for like $25ish used. When I asked about trade in I was offered like a buck. So - although the front says $25, it basically just hadn't been updated after a few price drops probably so probably if I tried to actually buy a used copy from them (I hope) I wouldn't have been paying $25! I would expect the same on a recently dropped game, like God of War. It now sells for $20 new, so I would figure they would not pay the $22 for it that they might have just a few months ago.

I think Brett mentioned that games prices do drop considerably faster than movies or CD's so keeping up is tough for them. After all, it's two separate sets of info to keep track of between new and used prices.

Yes, and that's the horrible part is that you WOULD pay the $25 because as Brett said the price is encoded into that barcode, so it will ring up at whatever price is on it. However, like he said if you scan the back it'll most likely be a lower price and that's what prompted my question. I've traded in some old PSX games at the Scarborough store (that I bought for less than $1 each) and I believe I only got $2 back per game which was fine by me. However, I've been back in there since to look through games and I saw these exact games (Shrek Treasure Hunt & Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22 to be exact) for around $11-$17ish price wise.

I actually think I got $6 for the DBZ game, but regardless of what was paid to me $11-$17 is too high for those games. That's what I was wondering Mr. Littlefield, it seems like they may just pay us the lower trade-in prices but keep them marked higher still which is not what I want at all. I either want really high trade-in prices and high priced used stuff or low trade-in prices and much cheaper prices on the used stuff. It's unfair to give low trade-in prices and then turn around and charge a high price (i.e. selling a game I traded in for $2 for $11+).

[quote name='n8littlefield']While I'm far from an expert, and look forward to Bull Moose's answer to this, my observation would be that you would be paid the lower amount based on the back barcode.

Case in point: I have a copy of XIII for the PS2. I brought it in for trade as I had noticed that they were selling for like $25ish used. When I asked about trade in I was offered like a buck. So - although the front says $25, it basically just hadn't been updated after a few price drops probably so probably if I tried to actually buy a used copy from them (I hope) I wouldn't have been paying $25! I would expect the same on a recently dropped game, like God of War. It now sells for $20 new, so I would figure they would not pay the $22 for it that they might have just a few months ago.

I think Brett mentioned that games prices do drop considerably faster than movies or CD's so keeping up is tough for them. After all, it's two separate sets of info to keep track of between new and used prices.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is they'll price the game you sell them correctly, but it could easily end up on the shelf next to a copy of the same game priced higher unless they notice it. So, like with God of War as an example (it just dropped in price so it's easy to pick on).

Let's say there's a copy on the shelf for $26 used so you figure hey, I'll bring mine in and get $20 for it - woo hoo!

You bring your copy in and they offer you $10 for it as (hopefully) their system has the new price in it. They'll price yours correctly, and sell it for $15.xx used. Now, they will either notice their old copy on the shelf, take it down and reprice it to $15.xx, or they won't notice it, and it will sit there and there will be two copies of the same game with different prices.

What I would like to know is shouldn't that copy sitting there marked $25 ring up at $15, wouldn't the barcode in the system ring up at the new price?

BTW, call me Nate, I'm already pushing 30, I don't need to feel any older!! :)

That makes sense why I see a variety of prices. It was my understanding that unless the employee prints a new barcode for the game, that it will continue to ring up at that price because Brett said it was set in stone to make sure people weren't overpaying on items (like CD's). Sorry about calling you Mr. Littlefield, I'm just used to it because you were my teacher. I'll call you nate if you want (sounds weird) because it reminds me of Nate Spring from the 4-way chess games, hehe.

[quote name='n8littlefield']My understanding is they'll price the game you sell them correctly, but it could easily end up on the shelf next to a copy of the same game priced higher unless they notice it. So, like with God of War as an example (it just dropped in price so it's easy to pick on).

Let's say there's a copy on the shelf for $26 used so you figure hey, I'll bring mine in and get $20 for it - woo hoo!

You bring your copy in and they offer you $10 for it as (hopefully) their system has the new price in it. They'll price yours correctly, and sell it for $15.xx used. Now, they will either notice their old copy on the shelf, take it down and reprice it to $15.xx, or they won't notice it, and it will sit there and there will be two copies of the same game with different prices.

What I would like to know is shouldn't that copy sitting there marked $25 ring up at $15, wouldn't the barcode in the system ring up at the new price?

BTW, call me Nate, I'm already pushing 30, I don't need to feel any older!! :)[/QUOTE]

Wow. If they really set those barcodes in stone it would mean everytime a price drops they have to resticker a game...that sounds like a royal pain.

Yeah - there were multiple Nate's - I don't really care either way...I'm an old fart now, I've got to get used to again if I go back to teaching.

BTW, it's been bugging me - I think Blackie's name was Ryan...does that sound right to you?

Yes, his name was Ryan, but blackiE was a much cooler name IMHO.

EDIT: Maybe you're right Nate, maybe Bull Moose could have it so the prices for games aren't set in stone and they'll ring up as the lower price if there's a universal drop? I don't know how difficult that would be to pull off though. Anyways, it looks like Brett has enough questions/banter between us two alone to respond to for now.

[quote name='n8littlefield']Wow. If they really set those barcodes in stone it would mean everytime a price drops they have to resticker a game...that sounds like a royal pain.

Yeah - there were multiple Nate's - I don't really care either way...I'm an old fart now, I've got to get used to again if I go back to teaching.

BTW, it's been bugging me - I think Blackie's name was Ryan...does that sound right to you?[/QUOTE]

Hey - anyone traded in a game that retails for $20ish lately at Bullmoose and remember what you got? I'm thinking of trading in the Devil May Cry series (1,2,3 Special Edition) but didn't know if it was worth it...

as of right now (it changes everyday) those are 4,3,6,7 respectively... The 6 is very close to a 7 and the 3 is very close to a 4, but as of right now that's the levels.
[quote name='n8littlefield']Hey - anyone traded in a game that retails for $20ish lately at Bullmoose and remember what you got? I'm thinking of trading in the Devil May Cry series (1,2,3 Special Edition) but didn't know if it was worth it...[/quote]

Hey Bull Moose, any responses to the other questions asked? I'd really like to know the answers. :) I'll be very greatfull! :)

[quote name='Bull Moose']as of right now (it changes everyday) those are 4,3,6,7 respectively... The 6 is very close to a 7 and the 3 is very close to a 4, but as of right now that's the levels.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Hittiing Bull Moose either today or tomorrow. I'm hoping to do one last game tradein before having to stop for awhile and play what I own and stop adding to the collection.

Are the bullmoose.com prices accurate for the store as well? They have a few games listed there really cheaply that I might pick up - but I didn't know if the prices matched.

I went into Bullmoose this weekend and traded in just a few games (including Madden 2005 DS, which I got $7 for, which was more than I would have expected). I ended up using my points and store credit for a copy of Zoo Tycoon DS.

Yes, it would go by the back barcode, so by the correct list price. The front barcode disparity will keep becoming less of an issue over the coming weeks.

Btw, I'm not showing the Geist for 9.99 you speak of:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0582-6083005?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=468642

The old games have been updated with trade-in value --- but they're also kind of in a constant stage of updating...

I'll post back later when I have a few minutes...I'm wicked busy these next couple of days so sorry to be so short :)

[quote name='3QGojo']Also, I have a question for Bull Moose:

Have you updated your trade-in prices on most of your older games yet? Because I'm trying to figure out how much I would get for certain games by how they're priced on the front barcode that Bull Moose puts on it. Meaning that if you sell a new copy of game A for $46.xx and the used copy of game A for $28.xx (seems like your newer games that are used are always 28, which is awesome by the way), then how much would I get for game A if I brought it into the store? If it goes by the front bardcode for trade-ins then would it give me $21? Seeing how the front Bull Moose made barcode isn't on it when I trade it in I wonder if it goes by the back barcode? I'm assuming it does, but you've told me in a previous post that the back barcode will show the actual retail price.

So here's the scenario:
After noticing the pricing on game A (as stated above) I bring in a used copy of game A (in fantastic condition like all my games are, so condition isn't an issue). Now when I bring in game A would I get between $14-$21 for it, since the sticker on the shelve says it sells for $28.xx used, or would it ring up as saying that game A has been priced wrong for awhile now and that a new copy should go for $26.74 and a used copy should sell for $22.90 (thus lowering the trade-in value offered to me to around $6-$12). Does the computer do this or not? After I'm offered the trade-in price (if I accept the $6-$12) would the associate then marked the game down to the correct price (or even keep it the same higher price)?

EDIT: The "game A" I was referring to is Geist for the Gamecube that sells for $9.99 at Bestbuy and $9.98 at Toys R' Us, yet Bull Moose still has it marked at $49.99 for a new copy. I mean if I had this game what could I trade it in for $6 maybe? Then after trading it in would the eemployee just look at what a new copy goes for and mark it at $28.xx? That seems to be the trend.

One more question about price matching:
Do you guys price match by flyers/ads only or could I have an associate call the store and check with them about a price? I could see why you might not call because it might hold up people in line.[/quote]

Naw, sadly bullmoose.com is totally outsourced right now. We use a company that ships out of florida. They handle fulfillment just fine, but since it's not integrated with our stores, we miss a lot of opportunities to help our customers. I really like that at Circuit City that you can see their inventory levels. It would be cool to let you guys see our new/used inventory in the stores that you regularly shop so you could be saved a trip or find a hard to find game you've been looking for... We're working on it, but it's not happening in the near term (i.e. it will be more than 3 months out)

[quote name='n8littlefield']Hittiing Bull Moose either today or tomorrow. I'm hoping to do one last game tradein before having to stop for awhile and play what I own and stop adding to the collection.

Are the bullmoose.com prices accurate for the store as well? They have a few games listed there really cheaply that I might pick up - but I didn't know if the prices matched.[/quote]

Maybe you're right, how much would I get for trade-in credit for Geist, if you happen to know? I have a copy lying around that I've been playing and I wanted to trade it in, but I thought the trade-in value possibly went down and I didn't know.

[quote name='Bull Moose']Yes, it would go by the back barcode, so by the correct list price. The front barcode disparity will keep becoming less of an issue over the coming weeks.

Btw, I'm not showing the Geist for 9.99 you speak of:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0582-6083005?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=468642

The old games have been updated with trade-in value --- but they're also kind of in a constant stage of updating...

I'll post back later when I have a few minutes...I'm wicked busy these next couple of days so sorry to be so short :)[/QUOTE]

I have a quick question if you happen back in Bull Moose. At the warehouse store, you obviously take in classic games, and price them all at one price. Does that mean if I bring in an NES game for example, I would expect one set price no matter what the title? Are those rated ABCD as well?

I'm not usually one to complain, but what happened to the Scarborough Bull Moose? I went there today and the NEW/USED sections of all the various games were mixed together! I didn't like it at all! I know you guys have reorganizing all of your games recently, but put it back the way it was! Every game store I've been to has new and used games seperated. I just figured I'd put my 2 cents in since I didn't like the way it was set up now.

EDIT: All the different systems were seperated, but what I'm saying is that the used games were mixed in with the new games and I didn't like that at all.

Thanks for the feedback, 3QGojo --- Sorry you don't like the change...

I'm on the road, so I'm not in a position to quote the various used game prices asked in the other questions right now.

As this is new for us, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind explaining the disadvantages of having new and used combined.

We almost always make our choices based on our customers' preferences, and one pretty clear way to gauge that is sales. So in one store where we tried mixing them, used sales more than doubled, and overall game sales went up. In the short period since we combined them in Scarborough, new sales have increased significantly, and used sales are up a tiny bit. I'm not saying that that means that combining them is the right choice, but it seems that more customers find stuff that way --- or maybe there are confounding variables about combining them that I'm not aware of (confounding variables is math geek speak for other things changing an outcome that are outside of the parameters studied...so in this case a confounding variable would be that by combining the games, the shelves got dusted and that's what increased sales, not the combining of the games itself)

Anyway, if you could tell me what you don't like about them combined, that would be great --- I am always open to new ideas and most anything we do isn't set in stone. ... and if anyone else has an opinion on the matter, feel free to weigh in!

[quote name='3QGojo']I'm not usually one to complain, but what happened to the Scarborough Bull Moose? I went there today and the NEW/USED sections of all the various games were mixed together! I didn't like it at all! I know you guys have reorganizing all of your games recently, but put it back the way it was! Every game store I've been to has new and used games seperated. I just figured I'd put my 2 cents in since I didn't like the way it was set up now.

EDIT: All the different systems were seperated, but what I'm saying is that the used games were mixed in with the new games and I didn't like that at all.[/quote]

Well, I don't relly mind you combining older gen games (like PS1 used/new) that makes sense because there's not that many of them. However, it just gets aggrevating when I'm looking through the section of lets say PS2 and I find a game that I might want, but I grabbed it and it wasn't new it was used (and in okay condition). This happened mutiple times. I can definately see the reason why it works sales wise, because people don't usually check different sections for the games they want (meaning checking used PS2 and then new PS2).

I just don't like how they're mixed together and some of the customers might think they're new and just like an unwrapped display/cheaper copy of the game. I saw MGS3: Substance for $17.xx used and I almost picked it up. It looked as if it was NEW and just unwrapped, so someone may confuse it with a new copy. Although, they'll probably sell soon.

The reason why people find more stuff that way is because they go through the PS2 section and can find every single game there (used or new) categorized A-Z without having to check another section. Basically people are lazy in general and don't want to be bothered checking two sections for one system.

The biggest problem is people getting excited about finding either a new version of a game then realizing it's used and they wanted a new copy (some people are very picky). It could be the opposite as well, looking for a used copy and then you find a copy and it's new (thus more expensive)! This customer is looking for a used copy and they got all excited only to be let down.

Imagine combining used/new CDs/DVDs. I know that they're different than videogames (pricing wise), but people who buy used/new CDs/DVDs wouldn't like it if they were combined because if you want a new copy you look at the new section and same for the used copies in the used sections. I saw people that looked confused in the gaming section as well since it was all combined. Something like this might work with a lower volume of games, but at a large store like the Scarborough store it gets very confusing!

[quote name='Bull Moose']Thanks for the feedback, 3QGojo --- Sorry you don't like the change...

I'm on the road, so I'm not in a position to quote the various used game prices asked in the other questions right now.

As this is new for us, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind explaining the disadvantages of having new and used combined.

We almost always make our choices based on our customers' preferences, and one pretty clear way to gauge that is sales. So in one store where we tried mixing them, used sales more than doubled, and overall game sales went up. In the short period since we combined them in Scarborough, new sales have increased significantly, and used sales are up a tiny bit. I'm not saying that that means that combining them is the right choice, but it seems that more customers find stuff that way --- or maybe there are confounding variables about combining them that I'm not aware of (confounding variables is math geek speak for other things changing an outcome that are outside of the parameters studied...so in this case a confounding variable would be that by combining the games, the shelves got dusted and that's what increased sales, not the combining of the games itself)

Anyway, if you could tell me what you don't like about them combined, that would be great --- I am always open to new ideas and most anything we do isn't set in stone. ... and if anyone else has an opinion on the matter, feel free to weigh in![/QUOTE]

What if they were clearly sidespinded with a label that identified them as used? Would that help, or is just the volume of them problematic to you?

Also, what do you think of breaking games into categories? (i.e. sports/role playing, etc.)

As for the mixing new and used CDs and DVDs, well they seem to also sell better mixed. They aren't mixed in Scarborough, but we've tested it in another one of our stores (got the idea from another retailer who sells tons more used than we do) and it increase used sales somewhat...

I agree with you, though, that the volume of a section is what changes its shopability - so if a section gets too big, ease of browsing goes way down..

[quote name='3QGojo']Well, I don't relly mind you combining older gen games (like PS1 used/new) that makes sense because there's not that many of them. However, it just gets aggrevating when I'm looking through the section of lets say PS2 and I find a game that I might want, but I grabbed it and it wasn't new it was used (and in okay condition). This happened mutiple times. I can definately see the reason why it works sales wise, because people don't usually check different sections for the games they want (meaning checking used PS2 and then new PS2).

I just don't like how they're mixed together and some of the customers might think they're new and just like an unwrapped display/cheaper copy of the game. I saw MGS3: Substance for $17.xx used and I almost picked it up. It looked as if it was NEW and just unwrapped, so someone may confuse it with a new copy. Although, they'll probably sell soon.

The reason why people find more stuff that way is because they go through the PS2 section and can find every single game there (used or new) categorized A-Z without having to check another section. Basically people are lazy in general and don't want to be bothered checking two sections for one system.

The biggest problem is people getting excited about finding either a new version of a game then realizing it's used and they wanted a new copy (some people are very picky). It could be the opposite as well, looking for a used copy and then you find a copy and it's new (thus more expensive)! This customer is looking for a used copy and they got all excited only to be let down.

Imagine combining used/new CDs/DVDs. I know that they're different than videogames (pricing wise), but people who buy used/new CDs/DVDs wouldn't like it if they were combined because if you want a new copy you look at the new section and same for the used copies in the used sections. I saw people that looked confused in the gaming section as well since it was all combined. Something like this might work with a lower volume of games, but at a large store like the Scarborough store it gets very confusing![/quote]

Yea, if they were clearly sidespinded with a label that identified them as used that would be better/easy to identify them. I don't think categories would really help, I like the A-Z stlye.

[quote name='Bull Moose']What if they were clearly sidespinded with a label that identified them as used? Would that help, or is just the volume of them problematic to you?

Also, what do you think of breaking games into categories? (i.e. sports/role playing, etc.)

As for the mixing new and used CDs and DVDs, well they seem to also sell better mixed. They aren't mixed in Scarborough, but we've tested it in another one of our stores (got the idea from another retailer who sells tons more used than we do) and it increase used sales somewhat...

I agree with you, though, that the volume of a section is what changes its shopability - so if a section gets too big, ease of browsing goes way down..[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm slightly on the other end of the spectrum in that I don't mind at all if they are in the same section, as long as they are easy to pick out as used or new. The only issue you might get into is that there are a TON of people who don't mind used stuff - but hate used stuff covered in stickers, so you'd likely get some negative feedback if big used stickers got put on the game boxes.

It's actually kind of a pain to have to look in the new and used sections - like I might see 3 or 4 games in the new section, decide to see if you have them used and have to remember the titles to go into the used area and check. FYE in the Auburn mall has them combined, labelled well, and it seems to work just fine.

I agree on not categorizing them, that's a pain, especially with some titles that really don't fit into a genre or cross multiple genres. I hate stores that do that and you have to guess where to find a game.

One thing that might help too (and I have no idea if your system makes this possible) is places like EB/Gamestop have a system reminder if they sell a new game and have a used copy in stock. That way - if I buy a copy of a game that they have used, when I check through they can say "We have it used for $5 less with the same guarantee, would you like that?" It's a great way to push the used stuff. I don't know how your pricing goes, but I know for EB that they make more actual profit from a used copy than a new one anyways, so they prefer to push the used.

I went to the So. Portland store and picked up Phantasy Star: Online for $1.97 for the Dreamcast, but hey it was worth it! :)

Our system also alerts the clerk if a used copy is available... It helps, but a lot of folks when they get to the counter just wanna be rung out... It's a tough one, though as I can understand 3QGojo's issues also --- when you get too much stuff (even in alphabetical order) in one area it can just become a mess. We'll see how it works out... Our spine labels are due any day now (or they may have already hit, I didn't check before typing this).

[quote name='n8littlefield']Well, I'm slightly on the other end of the spectrum in that I don't mind at all if they are in the same section, as long as they are easy to pick out as used or new. The only issue you might get into is that there are a TON of people who don't mind used stuff - but hate used stuff covered in stickers, so you'd likely get some negative feedback if big used stickers got put on the game boxes.

It's actually kind of a pain to have to look in the new and used sections - like I might see 3 or 4 games in the new section, decide to see if you have them used and have to remember the titles to go into the used area and check. FYE in the Auburn mall has them combined, labelled well, and it seems to work just fine.

I agree on not categorizing them, that's a pain, especially with some titles that really don't fit into a genre or cross multiple genres. I hate stores that do that and you have to guess where to find a game.

One thing that might help too (and I have no idea if your system makes this possible) is places like EB/Gamestop have a system reminder if they sell a new game and have a used copy in stock. That way - if I buy a copy of a game that they have used, when I check through they can say "We have it used for $5 less with the same guarantee, would you like that?" It's a great way to push the used stuff. I don't know how your pricing goes, but I know for EB that they make more actual profit from a used copy than a new one anyways, so they prefer to push the used.[/quote]

bread's done
Back