Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh.

You know what? I don't need to worry about this.

I'm going to buy another 360 and game happily. I'll send this one off to get repaired, then send it to a relative.

i'm new to the site (thanks Attack of the Show) i do not have a 360 at the moment but intend to have one by Christmas, i do have a few questions concerning the Red Ring of Death:

for those that have experienced the Red Ring, did you guys have the system properly ventalated and have you had the system since launch or a few months afterwards

something that i have thought about, since it can upload pics and MP3s (at least i've heard that before) could that attribute to hardware failure since the system is basically a PC and could succumb to viruses like a computer would

Thanks for Any Answers

Nate, the sheer amount of hardware failures that the 360 has been having pretty much rules out any sort of mishandling by users. Microsoft admitted that they had some kind of manufacturing problem which they claim to have now fixed. Extending the red ring warranty to three years cost them 3 million? dollars so we can rule out user error here.

It is not a PC in the way you are thinking, so no those capabilities you listed do not contribute to the failures, it is a hardware flaw and not a virus.

Additionally, my machine was manufactured in may of 2006 and failed on me last week.

[quote name='Milkyman']Nate, the sheer amount of hardware failures that the 360 has been having pretty much rules out any sort of mishandling by users. Microsoft admitted that they had some kind of manufacturing problem which they claim to have now fixed. Extending the red ring warranty to three years cost them 3 million? dollars so we can rule out user error here.

It is not a PC in the way you are thinking, so no those capabilities you listed do not contribute to the failures, it is a hardware flaw and not a virus.

Additionally, my machine was manufactured in may of 2006 and failed on me last week.[/quote]

hmm i see, i did have a Wii for awhile but started to slowly see that games were gonna be limited in number and online play did not seem to be happening, i've talked to a couple people who have had their 360s since launch and their systems still work fine right now (knock on wood for their sake) how could Microsoft not have spotted these issues before hand, they really should have done extensive testing to fix any bugs

[quote name='Nate1986']hmm i see, i did have a Wii for awhile but started to slowly see that games were gonna be limited in number and online play did not seem to be happening, i've talked to a couple people who have had their 360s since launch and their systems still work fine right now (knock on wood for their sake) how could Microsoft not have spotted these issues before hand, they really should have done extensive testing to fix any bugs[/quote]

They most likely decided that getting a year head start on sony and nintendo was more important than making the best hardware possible.

There's a very good article called Seeing Red in the new OXM that sums this all up with plenty of theories on why it happens. worth reading if you get it or can borrow it.

Mine has been gone for about a week now. I called to check status and the automation guy says "it's being repaired". How long does this usually take to get it repaired? Do they e-mail you with a tracking number when they send it back?

Need the INFO!

[quote name='Nate1986']i'm new to the site (thanks Attack of the Show) i do not have a 360 at the moment but intend to have one by Christmas, i do have a few questions concerning the Red Ring of Death:

for those that have experienced the Red Ring, did you guys have the system properly ventilated and have you had the system since launch or a few months afterwards
[/QUOTE]

Mine was manufactured in 3 / 2006. It sat on metal furniture risers with rubber feet all by itself. This gave it an additional half an inch of clearance underneath. It sat horizontally. Five inches of clearance on the left and right, and a clear open bay in front and back. No glass door, no blockage to the rear, etc. The shelf it was on, I simply must add was in a completely separate entertainment center from every other home theater device that I own. The shelves below and beside it just hold my far too large video game library.

The power supply sat on top of a decorative metal milk jug. Yes. A milk jug. The Wife is... really fond of that damn thing. It was plugged into the wall directly, sharing an outlet with a phone.

I went away to Ireland for some time. The last time I played a game on it was over a month and a half ago as a result. I returned home, picked up my Goozex copy of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II, turned on the unit and... RROD. This was just a couple of days ago.

It now intermittently gives me the RROD, and crashes minutes into any game I put into it.

Been a while since my last RROD (*knock on wood*), but from what I remember, it seemed to have stemmed initially from not having the system plugged directly into the wall. So aside from having good ventilation, I'd suggest not plugging it into a power strip or surge protector. The CS I spoke to stated the power brick is a surge protector anyway. Not sure of the validity of that statement.

[quote name='psychobrawler']There's a very good article called Seeing Red in the new OXM that sums this all up with plenty of theories on why it happens. worth reading if you get it or can borrow it.[/quote]

i dont really have 10 bucks to spare right now, is it againist the rules to post a photocopied magazine article

Got mine back. It's a 2006 model and disturbingly loud, with a varying sound that reminds me of somebody vacuuming the carpet on stairs in another room. I turned it on and sat in the dash for about 10 minutes (didn't play any games) and it's hot as hell on the back.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Got mine back. It's a 2006 model and disturbingly loud, with a varying sound that reminds me of somebody vacuuming the carpet on stairs in another room. I turned it on and sat in the dash for about 10 minutes (didn't play any games) and it's hot as hell on the back.[/QUOTE]

oh man, that sucks, did you check to see if they put in that extra gpu heatsink?

Review + Update

The new XBox 360 Premium I bought in February had the nic port die on Sunday 7/22, I called and got a coffin shipped.

7/26 said coffin arrived and was shipped back the next day.

A replacement system with new heat sinks and a 7/27/07 manufacture date arrived to me on Friday 8/10.

Saturday 8/17 that system RROD'd when I got a Catan achievement. During this 1 week of use the system had been used less than 10 hours and other than the Bioshock demo, only Live Arcade games had been played on it. I called the repair number and they promised to send another coffin. Also gave me a choice of a free game from several launch titles I already owned for my trouble.

:UPDATE: Thursday 8/23 I recieved another coffin and have just returned home from dropping it off at the closest UPS location.

If the theme continues I should have another Xbox in 2 weeks... and hopefully thats where it ends. I really don't want to keep getting systems that only work a week.

[quote name='Milkyman']oh man, that sucks, did you check to see if they put in that extra gpu heatsink?[/quote]

I can't tell. I took some pics but I don't think I did it in the right spot. They system is grubby as hell too, with grime all over the IR port and a piece of plastic chipped off by the serial number label. I didn't play any games on it yet (just some XBLA stuff) but I'm going to have to check the disc tray to make sure there's not an old grilled cheese sandwich in there or something like that.

I just got mine back today and guess what no picture or sound. M$ told me that i have to send it in to get it repaired again. So this would be my 4th. Right now i am yelling at them about it to get some free stuff out of it.

I got mine back yesterday. The manufacture date says 6-26-06, but it looks like it does have the new heat sink. It's very quiet without a disc - almost silent. The disc drive is still pretty loud, but it's less "rattley" than my last refurb. There's a small black scuff on the new faceplate, so I'll probably trade it out for the old one that I kept.

RRoD: 7-30
Coffin: 8-6
Refurb: 8-23

Got my unit back yesterday. It's a refurb with a build date of 2/07 and it's got the additional heatsink. Bad news is that it's got the noisy as hell hitachi drive. I'll probably sell it and get one of the new premiums with the HDMI port but before that I'll test it just to make sure it won't break down anytime soon.

got my coffin today, anyone know if u can put these in those UPS drop boxs that are outside in most places, or do you have to actually take it to a UPS store?

[quote name='ighosty']got my coffin today, anyone know if u can put these in those UPS drop boxs that are outside in most places, or do you have to actually take it to a UPS store?[/quote]

It's all prepaid, so a drop box should work. Personally, I prefer to just drop it at a UPS store, it's just as easy.

[quote name='ighosty']got my coffin today, anyone know if u can put these in those UPS drop boxs that are outside in most places, or do you have to actually take it to a UPS store?[/quote]

Personally I wouldn't do that I took mine to the UPS Store and ask for a package receipt showing they excepted the package.

Well I received my 360 back today. Its dated 8/7/2007, so far no complaints. Other then the usualy fact it broke in the first place, had to wait for a box, send it in, wait for a replacement, etc., etc.

Add me to the club. Tried to catch up on some XBLA trials that had accumulated, and the screen kept freezing after I heard a *beep*. A few more times of turning off then on again, and I get the RROD. Haven't gotten it again tonight, but the thing is unplayable because it keeps beeping and freezing.

Will the box even fit in a drop box? There's one very close to me but I just went a little further to the UPS store. The guys there seems to be able to identify what you're bringing in on sight just by the box dimensions. They run right over and say "I'll take that for you." since they already know you've got a label on it.

OK wtf. I bought a new 360 yesturday. Thought I'd finally cave for Bioshock. About half an hour ago I took the disc out for the first time and put it in.

Now I have been very paranoid because of all the problems everyones been having with the 360 since launch. I know these games get scratches if you move or bump the console while a disc is in the drive. So I was very careful. The console is on a very stable stand on the other side of the room. The 360 is on top and I refuse to even press the button to open the drive. I use the controller. I put the disc in and close it with the controller too. The disc starts up normal sounding.

About 20 minutes into the game I get a message pop out the side to turn off the console cause the disc can't be read. They say some crap like "clean it off or something." I took the disc out and I could see a very very light ring scratch close to the center. I try the game again, play a little further and get the message again. WTF I didn't even touch the console.

So I'm taking back the console first thing in the morning to get a new one. But what do I do about Bioshock? I bought it from Fry's. This was the reason I got the friggen 360. I've heard bad stories but this is ridiculous. I did everything right and still got screwed. Damn you Microsoft.
---

Microsoft is too cheap to add two small rubber bumpers on the inside of the DVD drive case, so you will have to suffer for it or make sure your 360 is damned stable . Yes, it is gay. I was thinking you might be able to do the walmart swap, but I'm really not sure what you can do at this point.

Wouldn't it be more logical to exchange the disc first, to see if that's the problem?

Well my first 360 experience has been a nightmare. The console was stable as hell and no living entity was even close to the machine while a disc was in?

Will Fry's take the game back? Is there a method I could go through to convince them?

How does the Walmart swap work?

I pissed to no end here. This deserves some fuct up V for Vendetta action.

edit: I can go back to Fry's and do an exchange if I have the receipt? I thought noone takes back open software.

[quote name='Malkovich']Well my first 360 experience has been a nightmare. The console was stable as hell and no living entity was even close to the machine while a disc was in?

Will Fry's take the game back? Is there a method I could go through to convince them?

I pissed to no end here. This deserves some fuct up V for Vendetta action.[/QUOTE]
... there's a scratch on the disc, no? The disc doesn't work, right? There's your "excuse".

[quote name='Malkovich']Well my first 360 experience has been a nightmare. The console was stable as hell and no living entity was even close to the machine while a disc was in?

I pissed to no end here. This deserves some fuct up V for Vendetta action.

edit: I can go back to Fry's and do an exchange if I have the receipt? I thought noone takes back open software.[/QUOTE]
no return but exchange should be ok

[quote name='Brak']Wouldn't it be more logical to exchange the disc first, to see if that's the problem?[/quote]

Logic haven't you heard these things burst into flames. You know the house may not be level, you should get a new house....

I should have waited for the Xbox360 with Level holiday bundle.

Can anyone else confirm Fry's being able to swap it out for another copy sine I have the receipt? Would put my mind at ease.

Thanks

[quote name='kjauburn']Logic haven't you heard these things burst into flames. You know the house may not be level, you should get a new house....[/QUOTE]
Could be the Earth, actually...

Try getting a new Earth.

Damn you, Microso-- I mean, "God"! :bomb:

[quote name='Malkovich']Can anyone else confirm Fry's being able to swap it out for another copy sine I have the receipt? Would put my mind at ease.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
You need to bring in the 360, a level and the stand you had it placed on. Oh, and your house. No questions asked if you manage to bring in the Earth with you, too.

I'm surprised you're adventurous enough to leave your house to exchange this. After all, the sky may fall on your head.

Oh yeah, that too. Some 360 disks are sold faulty like a bunch of Gears of War discs gave disc read errors for no reason. I had that problem and had to buy another copy.

....because it was too late to return gears.

Its funny I move my console while its on like during 2k7 because that game is ghetto and I never have problems. I also go on trips with my 360 and do other stuff with it but I never have any problems

[quote name='Malkovich']I should have waited for the Xbox360 with Level holiday bundle.
[/QUOTE]

:applause:

the halo 3 console comes with a spartan laser level

LOL I just got the same disc read error when playing a demo with no disc in the drive.

Bravo Microsoft.

Anyone ever heard of this happening?

[quote name='Malkovich']

Anyone ever heard of this happening?[/QUOTE]

no way, 360s never act up. you are one of a kind and deserve CAGs undivided attention ;)

Hm...the power button on my 360 keeps flashing green. Its not the ring but the little icon thing inside the ring keeps flashing nonstop. I don't have a CD in the drive so whats going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back