Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally have a new Serial# on my support page and it says Device shipped to customer. I sent my system out on 9/15(Arrived in TX on 9/20), so not too bad of a turn around IMHO. Now I just have to wait for my Halo 3 to get here.

another point of reference for those wondering about the current turn around time for repairs...

9/5 got the red rings and called microsoft
9/12 rcvd coffin
9/14 dropped off dead 360 at ups
9/18 coffin rcvd at microsoft
10/2 got the call from ups, repaired 360 will be delivered tomorrow!

so about 4 weeks total, I just wonder how long this one will last...

I only had time to read the last 4 pages, sorry in advance for an already answered post, so here's the question: will MS send back a the same model 360 or an updated one with HDMI?

I'm sending in mine for a DVD drive that won't eject without the help of a tug on the tray and a reported RROD that I was lucky enough to recover from and never had the same prob. Mine is launch w/o HDMI.

Thanks for your input.

[quote name='minos1067']I only had time to read the last 4 pages, sorry in advance for an already answered post, so here's the question: will MS send back a the same model 360 or an updated one with HDMI?

I'm sending in mine for a DVD drive that won't eject without the help of a tug on the tray and a reported RROD that I was lucky enough to recover from and never had the same prob. Mine is launch w/o HDMI.

Thanks for your input.[/quote]

No HDMI box should be sent out, they have tons of refurb old boxs so I don't think anyone will be getting one with an HDMI with the next year or so.

Hey, if I had RROD once when i first plugged in VGA cables, but it was fixed upon restart, could I still send it in?
I'm having problems with my disk drive scratching up my games...

Yea. If you want to. My launch console that I just sent in got the 3rl a few times because of power outages and whatnot. Eventually it did die off but I have the halo console so Im not worried. Im just going to sell my old one when it gets back.

hey does anyone know if u can upgrade boxes if you pay them? id love to upgrade to the elite for the hdmi output. and btw called for my box exactly 5 buisness days ago... hopefully i get it by the weekend.

Just got the RROD for the second time in just about a year of owning the system.

I had a PS1 and a PS2 before switching to the 360. I absolutely love xbox live and the games are great but I wish they would have made the box itself more reliable.

awww :(

I've had my system for 28 days. No problems, but ever since I got the system, I have heard nothing but creeks and cracking when the system is idle (on the dashboard)

Fired up the 360 to view a match from the other day and it locked up on the theater section of halo 3. Shut it down...gave it a few mins, then restarted. got one ring light and then it gave me a E 79 error (hard drive :O) , so I disconnected the hard drive after shut down, gave it a few mins, then booted it without the harddrive.. guess what I got? RROD :( ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the hard drive DIED and the system DIED.

Talked to MS and they said I could take the drive to another system and if it boots on that system, I can format the drive before sending it back to MS or Microcenter (Where I bought it from).

Now here is the catch...

I bought my 360 refurbed from Microcenter last month with there 2 year exchange warrenty program. I got an ad, email AND recepit that states 2 years unlimited exchanges. Confirmed with the manager that if anything happens within 2 years just bring it back and I get another refurbed as many times as I can as long as defective. If they do NOT have another refurbed, then I get my 249.99 back in store credit.

Microsoft said you could do that, but you could also send it back to them and they will fix it. Yes I will be out of the system for 3-4 weeks but I will get a patched up system (new heat sink?). However there is ALSO the possibility that if they can't fixed the system (maybe something finally cracked)..that I might just get another refurbed. This is fine HOWEVER, it will change the serial numbers so that if I do take that new serial number back to Microcenter, they will notice the two numbers are different and might reject me.

Last time I checked they had NO more refurbs. I already bought 13 months of live, 6000 MP pts, 3 live games, 1 theme and no movies.

So what do you guys suggest? I am more worried about loosing the exchange promo and my hard drive data (my live account information) then getting my system fixed. The Microsoft guy said it's fairly easy to migrate one account to another drive/system.

and Tetris was coming out today... AWWW :(

I just don't want anyone else touching my account at that store if they get the hard drive to work.

Can I suspend my account until the new system comes in?

Also, should I towel trick it so I can get the system to boot to wipe the drive and hold out for the coffin?

btw- What happens to all my saved game data? Espically halo 3... just beat that bitch the other day and am worried that I have to go through the entire game again :(

fuck.

Just had my second run in with the three red rings. Flatmate had a launch console red ring awhile back and a console I purchased about six months ago just died.

so does the E79 error mean that the hard drive is fucked period? And there is little chance that Microcenter can use it on another 360 drive?

Well at least your 360 lasted 6 months, mine only lasted 28 days :(

I just don't want them to have access to my microsoft points..

man loosing those halo saves really sucks.

Picked up my replacement at UPS last night. It's running like a champ so far knock on wood.

The mfr date is 9-20-07, and the thing looks cherry, so maybe I got a new system as opposed to a refurb.

Just got my replacement Xbox360 from UPS. For anyone scoring at home, called MS for box on September 6th, they sent reconditioned 360 back arrived on October 3rd. Not sure why it takes them a month when all they are doing is swapping it with another 360. FWIW my replacement was manufactured in June 2006 and as such has no HDMI port.

[quote name='IceBurgh']Wow posting in this forum is like going to an AA meeting.

Hi I'm IceBurgh and my Xbox360 just got the RROD....

Seriously what terrible timing. I was just getting into Bioshock , I was about to land some prime recruits in NCAA'08 and the hockey games come out next week. Halo in 19 days ;-(

Power up my 360 and crack.....RROD.

Time to fire up the old PS2. Glad I kept that sucker around.[/QUOTE]

Can I call them up and have them check the status of my replacement even though I don't remember my reference/order number?

Edit: I called the number and I guess their system recognized my number. The automated message told me my replacement had been shipped. My friend sent his in two days before me and got his replacement yesterday. I'm hoping to get mine tomorrow.

mine went down today

called them earlier this evening(515ish) and the coffin will be in the mail and should be at my house soon, which is good, because I'll be on fall break when it should come

how long should I expect to wait and should I expect it to be refurbished or brand new?

also, just now I logged in to my windows account(the one for xbox.com) and even though I remember registering the console on there, it isnt listed under my manage list

also seeing if I can change the address to where they ship the console back to because I'll be back in school

[quote name='ajumbaje']mine went down today

called them earlier this evening(515ish) and the coffin will be in the mail and should be at my house soon, which is good, because I'll be on fall break when it should come

how long should I expect to wait and should I expect it to be refurbished or brand new?

also, just now I logged in to my windows account(the one for xbox.com) and even though I remember registering the console on there, it isnt listed under my manage list

also seeing if I can change the address to where they ship the console back to because I'll be back in school[/QUOTE]

I was about 3 1/2 weeks from calling the first time to receiving my replacement.

everything i've read is pointing to about a month of turn around time and i think they give you refurbs until you go through so many refurbs that you get pissed off and yell at them.

I'm still waiting for my coffin... it sucks, my Xbox is at home w/ my brother, so all I have is my DS here at school. It has actually turned out ok... I'm going through my backlog. Castlevania Portrait/Dawn/Aria/Harmony, AW Dual Strike, PW 1/2, and Sonic Rush. Between those and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, hopefully I can make it until I get mine back.

Well I went back to the store and the CSR guy was laughing mine only lasted 28 days... we did a quick swap and i got one made 3 weeks after my last on... so it was made 7/13/06 argh.

The guy in this video is so pathetic but I can't help but laugh and feel for him at the same time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aqt6cLko_dc&mode=related&search=

I now have a bet going with friends and family to see how long this other one will last...

28 days? Pfft, that's nothing ;). Dude, I had a brand new Zephyr mobo Premium that red ringed in only 23 days!

The guy in the video you linked to stood the 360 vertically and said that it would allow better ventilation. Is that true? I always thought the horizontal orientation provided the best ventilation.

And after first seeing the RROD and unplugging the 360, hoping that the rings would disappear when I plugged it back in again, a thought occured to me. Would unplugging your 360 when you're not using it (like unplugging it before going to bed) help to prolong its life?

[quote name='lvl99ultrathug']28 days? Pfft, that's nothing ;). Dude, I had a brand new Zephyr mobo Premium that red ringed in only 23 days!

The guy in the video you linked to stood the 360 vertically and said that it would allow better ventilation. Is that true? I always thought the horizontal orientation provided the best ventilation.

And after first seeing the RROD and unplugging the 360, hoping that the rings would disappear when I plugged it back in again, a thought occured to me. Would unplugging your 360 when you're not using it (like unplugging it before going to bed) help to prolong its life?[/QUOTE]

doubt it. I still can't figure out the logic behind the Towel Trick. That thing should cause it to damage it even more. It's like super baking something that doesn't need all that heat inside. I wish I had the money for a mini camera so I can stick it inside the 360 with temp and see what the fuck goes on in there.

Mine's been out for delivery since 7:15 a.m. and my wife said that UPS hasn't shown up yet. I'm more interested in making sure I don't get the RROD right off the bat than anything; that's what happened to my team lead and he's more than pissed at MS. Got his RROD replacement back and turned it on to an instant RROD -- "Congratulations, you're the proud owner of a sexual assault from Microsoft!!!"

my 360 red ringed 2 days before halo release. I recieved the box from microsoft a week later with no F-ing shipping label in it. So now i'm waiting for my second shipping box to arrive.........

I just checked my email and microsoft sent me two free arcade game codes; their joking right??

I also tried the towel trick twice but it didn't work at all.

HELP! My 1st 360 got the rrod out of the blue. My replacement I've had for about 3-4 months and two days ago froze 3 times in an hour playing an original Xbox game, and last night froze 3/4 times within an hour playing XBLA games. Is this a precursor to the rrod? Or is this another problem?
If this is not a rrod coming, would this be covered by MS since I got it as a replacement console several months ago?

This is a really painful process. My Xbox arrived in Texas on Wednesday and my S/N disappeared from xbox.com/support Thursday, so I guess somehting's happening with my Xbox. I'm really jonesin' for my 360 back!

Mine's scheduled for return this Monday!
Judging from the serial number on the website, they threw a refurb from July 07 in the box and called it a day. And that takes 3-4 weeks because?:roll:

I'm not technically in need of coffin support but my 360 died just over a month after I bought it. I got it from Costco, so it went straight back there. Got a Halo ed 360 to replace it. Hopefully it'll last a while. If not, I know where it's going. I love Costco. :)

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']How long after you purchase a 360 at Costco can you swap out the dead one?[/quote]

I'd ask before I buy, but what I've read in the forums is that there is no limit as long as you save your reciept.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']How long after you purchase a 360 at Costco can you swap out the dead one?[/QUOTE]
FOREVER. The only things that have a time limited return policy are televisions, iPods and cell phones. Everything else in the store, and I mean everything, is returnable regardless of condition or how long you've had it. You don't even need your receipt because all your purchases are under your member number.

I bought Halo 3 (the game) from Costco a week before my 360 died. Naturally, I had played it some. The bundle I bought to replace it had Halo 3 CE included, so I didn't need the regular version anymore. I just returned the opened game along with my dead Xbox. They didn't give me a bit of trouble. Costco rocks.

So I finally got my 5th Xbox 360 back in the mail from MS. This time it appears to be a new unit with a manufacturer date of 08-17-2007. At least it looks brand new, but I have my doubts.

It only took about 4 weeks to get back to me! Record Time! Thanks Microsoft.

I got my second RROD on Sept. 18. Coffin came Sept. 25, and Microsoft received my console Oct. 1. Since then, nothing has changed on service.xbox.com — it still shows my old SN. Does this ALWAYS change before it's sent back? They've had it for six business days now, and I just want to know something is happening.

I sent my Xbox 360 in the MS coffin about 8 days ago. It's re-scheduled to arrive tomorrow (delay from UPS?). Overall turnaround time is less than 2 weeks. More like 7-8 days excluding the weekend. I will post a story on my website when my 360 gets back. (And I bought Forza 2 - still sealed right now - right before I opened the game, the 360 red ring'ed on me)

when I got home around 6pm, I saw a weird large box in my front door step.. It was my coffin!!! but I already exchanged it at the store level LOLZ!!

I need to call microsoft with my * new number*

Well, I checked on my vacationing 360 yesterday and it said it had arrived at the whatchamacalit in Texas--today it says the same thing. Any estimate on how long it will take to get back to PA?

I've had mine since launch and now I have to say goodbye. I've been taking care of it all the time and now I have to say goodbye. I was finishing up a film on Halo 3. It wouldn't end. I turn off the 360 and turn it back on. I sign out of my account and and sign onto AzNnNnN OD because that has gold on it. The screen freezes and everything starts flashing these red blocks. I'm like WTF? Turn it off. Turn it on. 3RL. ****ing "A"!!!

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']I'm like WTF? Turn it off. Turn it on. 3RL. ****ing "A"!!![/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that means it's broken. I've only heard of this happening to like, one or two people before. Good thing you started a thread about it-- MS may have an epidemic on their hands.

WTF did you do?!?! These things don't break on their own so you must have done something when you were in teh haloz. You may want to call MS but I would advise you avoid telling them you did anything like turning it on or playing games or such.

Good luck and I hope you have an extra $300 laying around because they're never going to fix that.

My third 360 has been going strong since I replaced it last week. I think it's because I take good care of my electronics. You should just treat your consoles better.

IM fuckING PISSED OFF NOW!!!

I get FIFA 08, a game I have been DIEING for for the past year, pop it in to play, and it doesnt work.

Whats even better is that now NONE OF MY GAMES WORK! NOT EVEN HALO 3 !!!

Well, I finally got my shipping box a few days ago (last Thursday actually). If you guys remember, I requested this box on September 5th! I'm just happy to get this thing finally going since I've got a boatload of games to deal with soon (Bioshock almost finished, Halo 3, Madden 08, Orange Box, Assassin's Creed, etc.).

My 360 died tonight. Is there any reason to wait and not go out tomorrow and get a new one. I can always sell the old one once i get it repaired.

Are there any new hardware version coming out within the next month? I dont really care about the game bundles that will be out this month, i already have forza2.

Im just worried that i will get another one and a week later the new motherboard or cpu/gpu will be anounced.

Any ideas if the elites have the zepher boards. Have the falcon boards been spoted yet?

Help!!!

[quote name='cheapmonkeyz']My 360 died tonight. Is there any reason to wait and not go out tomorrow and get a new one. I can always sell the old one once i get it repaired.

Are there any new hardware version coming out within the next month? I dont really care about the game bundles that will be out this month, i already have forza2.

Im just worried that i will get another one and a week later the new motherboard or cpu/gpu will be anounced.

Any ideas if the elites have the zepher boards. Have the falcon boards been spoted yet?

Help!!![/QUOTE]

Its a little to random. Some say yes some say no. I'd wait till you can tell by the box or something 100% much like I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back