Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait it out.. itll only be a few weeks -_-V Not worth it.. plus if you sell your new refurb.. (oxymoron..) you wont get that much for it..

Honestly.. just wait.. send it out to get repaired.. get a ds or a psp.. or a ps3.. or something.. anything to hold you over lol.

Its not worth spending another 279.. 350.. 399.. 449.. on another one.. but if you do.. get it at BB or CC for the warranty..

Before you send it back to microsoft, shoot it with the biggest gun you can find. Then take a steaming dump on it.
Then tell them to send you one that wont fucking break

I got my call that a XBox is being delivered today, even though via tracking I know it's not MY XBox. Looks like I'm going to have to get on the phone, demand to speak with someone in Redmond/Seattle, and then when that fails, file with NJ Small Claims court if I can't get it corrected since sending me back someone else's defective 360 is completely unacceptable.

[quote name='BigDirty']I got my call that a XBox is being delivered today, even though via tracking I know it's not MY XBox. Looks like I'm going to have to get on the phone, demand to speak with someone in Redmond/Seattle, and then when that fails, file with NJ Small Claims court if I can't get it corrected since sending me back someone else's defective 360 is completely unacceptable.[/QUOTE]

Hope its not my 360...

My 360 has started scratching discs...
6 hours into Assassin's Creed, i got a disc read error. Took the disc out and there is a 1/2 inch curved scratch on the disc.
Checked my other Xbox 360 discs, 4 other games have the same thing.

Assassin's Creed went straight from the case to the 360. I didn't move the 360 at all while playing either.
I take immaculate care of my discs, none of my DVD's, PS3, or Wii games are scratched.

Called MS, got a guy who told me that the Vertical position is "not the recommended position by Microsoft".
Was told to set it horizontally.
I asked why ALL MS marketing shows the 360 standing vertical, he didn't have an answer for me.
I was told to take the game back to the retailer to exchange it.

Took Assassin's Creed back to Gamestop, they told me it wasn't their responsibility, but they exchanged it for me.

Brought the new copy home, after about 2 hours of playing (horizontally) I got another Disc read error and surprise, the disc is scratched the same way.

Called MS back, spoke with a supervisor, swapping my system even though Microsoft's policy is that "The XBox 360 does not scratch game discs."
Asked about the "recommended position" of the system, was told that it doesn't matter one way or the other.

So now I am stuck with a scratched copy of Assassin't Creed because my 7 day exchange at Gamestop is up.
Microsoft wants to charge me $20 to replace my copy of Halo 3 that my 360 scratched.
I have to go to the other 3rd party publishers to determine what costs are involved to replace those discs that my system scratched.

This is my 4th repair on my 360...all others were RRoD.

I'm so frustrated with this system.

Every time I'm feeling the urge to take the plunge on a 360, I come read this thread. It usually scares me sufficiently enough to wait until Microsoft fixes their POS hardware. Although I fear that will only happen with the Xbox 361/720. =[

I just got back home after running to the bank to pull out a little cash for a vacation I'm taking the next few days in Callaway Gardens. Get home, my bro (who's going with me) is sorta fidgeting as we're talking.

"...I got some bad news."
"okay."
"can you take it?"
"yeah, sure."
"red ring of death... I wanted to play with one of my paint jobs on NFS carbon. locked up, restarted... red ring. i'm so sorry."
"well... okay."

I've got the receipt. Bought it 12/20/06 with a one year warranty thingy at Microcenter. When I get back from Callaway I'll take it out to Marrieta and swap it out or whatever they're going to do with it.

But this is the first time I've ever had anything game related break on me. And I've been playing games since 1979. Not a bad record. But I'm sad that it was the 360 that went on me. I love this system.

[quote name='BigDirty']I got my call that a XBox is being delivered today, even though via tracking I know it's not MY XBox. Looks like I'm going to have to get on the phone, demand to speak with someone in Redmond/Seattle, and then when that fails, file with NJ Small Claims court if I can't get it corrected since sending me back someone else's defective 360 is completely unacceptable.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, but I'm pretty sure the warranty terms state that they can send you a refurb at their discretion. You might luck out and get a new one.

I just got a Xbox 360 back after I sent mine in just about 2 weeks ago. This is not my console I sent it. They gave me an apology and send me what seems to be a brand new console made on 10-7-07. The console looks and smells brand new. I'm gonna hook it up later and hopefully it runs flawlessly. I'll keep this updated.

[quote name='scottman']That sucks, but I'm pretty sure the warranty terms state that they can send you a refurb at their discretion. You might luck out and get a new one.[/QUOTE]
I'm lucky that the state says it's conditioned purchased in. A precedent was set a while back when Sony had a defective phone, that when everyone that returned it was given a refurbished different model.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I just got a Xbox 360 back after I sent mine in just about 2 weeks ago. This is not my console I sent it. They gave me an apology and send me what seems to be a brand new console made on 10-7-07. The console looks and smells brand new. I'm gonna hook it up later and hopefully it runs flawlessly. I'll keep this updated.[/quote]

Just opened the box to my XBOX 360 v2. Manufactured date 10-29-07. No HDMI thought. I'm fully expecting it to not work...

update: ha, plug it in. RROD. brilliant.

Update 2: Well I got it to work, plugging unplugging etc. But wont find my wireless controller

My first 360 had that problem the first month I had it. One day it just decided not to find my controllers. I called MS and they said I'd have to send it in, so i just exchanged it at the store I bought it at.
Now my second one is awaiting its coffin (rrod)

[quote name='pimpinc333']I just got a Xbox 360 back after I sent mine in just about 2 weeks ago. This is not my console I sent it. They gave me an apology and send me what seems to be a brand new console made on 10-7-07. The console looks and smells brand new. I'm gonna hook it up later and hopefully it runs flawlessly. I'll keep this updated.[/quote]
Yea same here, mine said 10/22/07 and it's still working which is longer than when I got my original back. Lets hope I get another year out of this baby. I'd totally do http://www.gameconsoleskins.com/interface.htm?content=http%3A//www.gameconsoleskins.com/default.asp (their 360 case window) but it would probably kill my warrenty. Too bad since it looks awesome while functionally allowing the system more space to cool.

helena_bonham_carter_edward_norton_fight_club_002.jpg

"Look...I know my 360's fine and you don't even have one. But these people don't know that. I NEED this thread, okay?"

[quote name='Ow3n']My first 360 had that problem the first month I had it. One day it just decided not to find my controllers. I called MS and they said I'd have to send it in, so i just exchanged it at the store I bought it at.
Now my second one is awaiting its coffin (rrod)[/quote]

Ah it was just me forgetting how to since a controller since the last time I did it was over two years ago when the 360 first came out. So last night went OK with 2.5 hours of ROCKBAND on the new machine. Tested it out first with a little NHL 08. I hope this new machine keeps rockin' since its not even a month old yet.

[quote name='dcv2002']Just opened the box to my XBOX 360 v2. Manufactured date 10-29-07. No HDMI thought. I'm fully expecting it to not work...

update: ha, plug it in. RROD. brilliant.

Update 2: Well I got it to work, plugging unplugging etc. But wont find my wireless controller[/quote]

Sounds like mine, manufactured 11-1-07. It works for about 15 minutes after unplugging, then red rings again. Im sending it back again.

not sure whats up with that... all the "new" consoles they send back (missing hdmi) dont work worth a velvet painting of whale and a dolphin gettin it on. its like they send a new one and just expect u to have to send it back again when it fails. luckily my 2-7-07 unit is working like a champ even though its louder than hell.

Reading through all these horror storries makes me feel very nervous about the new console (Manufactured in Sep 07) I received from microsoft just over a month back. So far now problems, I'll be happy if it stays this way till Spring. Touch Wood :whistle2:#

It took a month to get my 360 back. After I got it back they sent me an older unit with a much lower Serial Number. I plugged in the power and the three rings popped right back up. I called Microsoft and they could not fill out a work order since I just recieved it and told me to call back the next day. I told them that the situation was ridiculouse and they said I could have a free game. I chose Blue Dragon and told them I would call them the next day to submit the order. After I hung up, I decided to unplug my power brick (it was plugged in the whole time the 360 was away) and plug it back in. After that the 360 worked and I got my free game a few weeks later. Only thing now is that the sytem they replaced mine with takes a bit longer to load than my original wich is frustrating.....

[quote name='Davestation']It took a month to get my 360 back. After I got it back they sent me an older unit with a much lower Serial Number. I plugged in the power and the three rings popped right back up. I called Microsoft and they could not fill out a work order since I just recieved it and told me to call back the next day. I told them that the situation was ridiculouse and they said I could have a free game. I chose Blue Dragon and told them I would call them the next day to submit the order. After I hung up, I decided to unplug my power brick (it was plugged in the whole time the 360 was away) and plug it back in. After that the 360 worked and I got my free game a few weeks later. Only thing now is that the sytem they replaced mine with takes a bit longer to load than my original wich is frustrating.....[/quote]

They offered Blue Dragon? What the hell, they only offered me pgr3 kameo or viva pinata.

So I register my console online with the serial number and all that jazz (adress, city, name).

I was about to click the request a new repair button when out of the corner of my eye I saw that it said I was out of warranty. I thought they extended it to 3 years?

It was manufactured on 4-11-06 btw. RRoD earlier today.

Will I have to pay for this? What's up with it? They just never updated that part of the website?

so yeah im pretty pissed my tracking number doesnt work for some odd reason....any ideas? i got the coffin and now im sending it back its been 1 day since i dropped it off at ups ..ups picks up at 4 it should have been sumwhere by now its 3 day select shipping

[quote name='Flyersfan']So I register my console online with the serial number and all that jazz (adress, city, name).

I was about to click the request a new repair button when out of the corner of my eye I saw that it said I was out of warranty. I thought they extended it to 3 years?

Will I have to pay for this? What's up with it? They just never updated that part of the website?[/quote]

They did extend it, but only for RROD issues. You'll be covered for free.

Just got my refurbed 360 back manufactured 8/06. Works fine so far and is really quiet. Checked the wattage and its not a falcon. My friend's 360 is obscenely loud in comparison. Fans seem to be moving much slower in mine, pushing less air.

Has anyone sent in a 360 that does not have the rrod but is giving disc read errors and locking up on games? I'm really thinking about calling and saying I hve it and sending it it to get it fixed.

[quote name='Flyersfan']So I register my console online with the serial number and all that jazz (adress, city, name).

Will I have to pay for this? What's up with it? They just never updated that part of the website?[/QUOTE]

As someone said, it should be extended. Mine also showed that it expires about 1 year and 1 month after I bought it. But it also says to contact a rep if you think the warranty status is incorrect. I am guessing that is when they might ask for proof of purchase date, but since nobody has one older than 3 years yet, that shouldn't be an issue until next year. But by that time, I am guessing everyone will have received a full refund or newer console free from some class action lawsuit, because these RROD problems are getting ridiculous.

[quote name='sendme']Has anyone sent in a 360 that does not have the rrod but is giving disc read errors and locking up on games? I'm really thinking about calling and saying I hve it and sending it it to get it fixed.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I'm getting. It's actually scratching my game discs (even though MS policy states that it doesn't) which is what's causing the DRE's.

Check your discs to see if you have the same problem i do (that MS won't acknowledge).

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']After a few hours of playtime, I can safely say this 360 is cleaner (physically) and quieter than the last one. Which is just dandy![/quote]Wait a few weeks and that thing's gonna be whirring like it did before.

Thanks for the tip. I will have to look at them now. I looked at the one to make sure it wasn't and it had no scratches but didn't look at it after that. When mine does go out and I send it to Microsoft I see them and I going at it for some time. I just have a gut fealing that they will send me one that smells like smoke and for a nonsmoker that will suck.

[quote name='youbastards']Yeah, that's what I'm getting. It's actually scratching my game discs (even though MS policy states that it doesn't) which is what's causing the DRE's.

Check your discs to see if you have the same problem i do (that MS won't acknowledge).[/QUOTE]

Belated

Had one die on me a couple months ago. It was noisy as shit, no HDMI, and froze all the time. 2 weeks after I get it - Red Ring city. I'd splurged on a replacement plan because of the coupon I used at BB (thx GAC) and horked an HDMI one. THANKFULLY they let me swap HD's (had to argue for quite a while for that one) so I wouldn't lose anything. The original was mfd'd in june or july '06.

How the hell did they get away with selling these things?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Wait a few weeks and that thing's gonna be whirring like it did before.[/QUOTE]

My replacement is way quiter than my original, so thanks for the heads up! Other than the noise level, the other difference is that this one gets a lot hotter.

I see a class action against them in the next year or so. Atleast if they are scratching the discs along with the rrod.

If the one you sent them had hdmi I would be calling them untill they said they would replace it with one that did. Even if I never used it. also I would be on the phone about not geting the free download. It is not your fault that you got the rrod and were not able to download it.

[quote name='lunchboxfett']Got my 360 back and no HDMI. And i missed out on the free arcade download last week.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bortle']They offered Blue Dragon? What the hell, they only offered me pgr3 kameo or viva pinata.[/quote]

Yeah, it was back in early September that they offered it. The Microsoft call person was very apologetic to the situation.

I just got back from trading in my crappy refurb 360 and got the arcade model, much quieter and the disc tray is white now instead of Silver. The Refurb just seemed like it was about to break again, so now I have HDMI!!!

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Man these things are pieces of shit. I'm on my sixth one and it freezes regularly.

If I had the money I'd be a PC gamer for sure...[/QUOTE]

The 6th new one or the 6th one you received back from them repaired???

If it was the 6th one you bought, then yea the amount you spent you could have gotten an ultra fast computer, like an over clocked quad going 3ghz per core which would run circles around your 360.

[quote name='sendme']Has anyone sent in a 360 that does not have the rrod but is giving disc read errors and locking up on games? I'm really thinking about calling and saying I hve it and sending it it to get it fixed.[/quote]
My 360 has been giving me DRE's for months now. I'm sick and tired of it :bomb: I'm tempted to place it in a small box and run it 24/7 to try and force a RROD so that I can send it in :lol:

edit: I find myself constantly saving at every turn in case my game freezes up on me and it's beyong annoying. Micro-managing my game saves really takes away from the story and gameplay.

Well, I should be getting mine back/getting a replacement tomorrow. Please let this thing last through the holidays! And thanks to all of you for your support, prayers, and candlelight vigils. Such a quick turnaround time would NOT have been possible without your good, good, good, good vibrations!

EDIT: My 360 had intermittent fits of DREs from launch until its death. I could never figure out just why they came and went, and I'm surprised my console lasted so long in hindsight.

did anyone see this???

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15186/Microsoft-Sued-Over-Halo-3s-Consistent-Crashes/

remember my posts about Halo 3 working PERFECTLY for weeks, then all of a sudden my 360 refuses to play it and causes lock ups when I even try to load a map?

Everyone said oh no problems with my disc, even with my replacement disc, I still haven't been able to play Halo 3 for over a month now.

Now it seems that other people are having problems with there halo 3.

Thing is, is Halo 3 the faulty product or is it the 360? I have had no issues with Halo 3 but I have issues with Marvel: UA Gold, Assassens Creed, and Mass Effect.

I'm posting this for my nephew ... his drive started making really loud noises while it was reading discs, and a short while later, the motor blew. It won't read anything anymore. His 4th coffin is coming in the next couple of days. He has the extended MS warranty plan. The first system was bought at launch and lasted the longest. Subsequent systems seem to last for shorter time spans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back