Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Ow3n']My wife just called and said my 360 is back already! Cant wait to get off work. ups said it was expected to deliver it tomorrow so its a whole day early.

flyersfan- its wierd but I'm sure its nothing. Unless the xbox.com service site doesnt update to item recieved in a few days. (it took mine two days to change)[/QUOTE]

Update us when you get home and check it out. I recall you saying that the SN never changed on the site so I'm wondering if you got your original box back.

UPS just called here and said they were delivering my 360 between 8am and 7pm (Pretty specific window, I know) and someone has to sign for it. It's supposed to snow here tomorrow so I hope everything will work out (and someone will be around to sign for it).

Can anyone tell me how I can actually track my system's progress? I sent it out via UPS on Saturday. Do I need a "windows live account" to do this?

So i send my xbox away for a month get it back and it gets the red lights in 4 days then i send it away agin for a month and i get it last night at 4:30 turn it on at 5 and it gets the lights right away.. so i turn it off and tehn back on and its fine i dont really wanna lose it for anotehr month so has any1 had this happen?? think it will still work?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Can anyone tell me how I can actually track my system's progress? I sent it out via UPS on Saturday. Do I need a "windows live account" to do this?[/QUOTE]

I tracked mine through the ups site.

[quote name='cheekymonkey582']So i send my xbox away for a month get it back and it gets the red lights in 4 days then i send it away agin for a month and i get it last night at 4:30 turn it on at 5 and it gets the lights right away.. so i turn it off and tehn back on and its fine i dont really wanna lose it for anotehr month so has any1 had this happen?? think it will still work?[/QUOTE]

I had a similar thing, but it's with my first system. I was waiting in Halo matchmaking tonight, and all of a sudden the screen went blue and I had three red lights. I unplugged the system, waited like 15 seconds, plugged it back in and turned it on. It then worked fine and I played online for 3 hours. Is it just a matter of time until I get the three red lights again? Will Microsoft send me a box now even though I'm not getting three red lights at the moment?

First saw the terrible red rings last week. But for some odd reason, I was able to play an hour later on it again for a few days. It popped back up today, and I just sent in for my coffin.

I was so close to hitting a year! I got mine on the 29th of December. I never thought this would happen to me.

A bit off topic, but I remember when my first Dreamcast died. It stopped recognizing the controllers for some reason, and I actually cried over it. Good times.

My Xbox started red ringing (every other time when I turn it on, if I turn it off and back on it works just fine for hours) a couple of weeks ago.
I bought it in September, the newest revision at that time too. I even laid it flat and gave it a ton of space to breathe. I'm completely shocked I'm having problems now. TRU's damn return policy is 45 days, too.

[quote name='Night Wolf']Update us when you get home and check it out. I recall you saying that the SN never changed on the site so I'm wondering if you got your original box back. [/quote]

Yeah its the same serial number, and I assume the same 360. I hope they just didnt just do the towel trick then send it back to me.

I've got a weird problem. I just got my console back, my serial number didnt change. 2 of my XBLA games dont work, sonic and SoR2. All my other games work, I called MS and they're baffled, they said they'd call in a month...

[quote name='GenghisJohn']I've got a weird problem. I just got my console back, my serial number didnt change. 2 of my XBLA games dont work, sonic and SoR2. All my other games work, I called MS and they're baffled, they said they'd call in a month...[/quote]

try redownloading the games from your download history.

YES! just got my elite back and it's a falcon + benQ drive!!! Took a little over a month to go there and back, but man it was worth the wait for Falcon+BenQ!!!!! =DDD SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

lets just hope i dont get rrod within the first week like so many others =/

So shipped my Elite (4th RRoD between my 2 consoles...or was it 5th?) in the week before Thanksgiving, finally got it shipped back early last week.

Now the fun really begins. UPS lost my package. It was scheduled for delivery on Tuesday of this week, but nothing showed. Checked on the UPS site and now it shows "In Transit" but was last scanned on Sunday. Contacted UPS, they stated that the package is now "lost" and needs to have an investigation opened...however, that can only be initiated by the sender.

Yet another reason to call my good friends at Microsoft, they're opening an investigation on their end and will get back to me on Saturday (yeah, we'll see).

Now my question for the group - Anyone else had a 360 being returned from the graveyard only to be lost by UPS? I have no idea what to expect at this point...I'm guessing minimum of 30 days to UPS to investigate and reimburse if they're even going to pay. Should be even more fun.

[quote name='halvorsb']So shipped my Elite (4th RRoD between my 2 consoles...or was it 5th?) in the week before Thanksgiving, finally got it shipped back early last week.

Now the fun really begins. UPS lost my package. It was scheduled for delivery on Tuesday of this week, but nothing showed. Checked on the UPS site and now it shows "In Transit" but was last scanned on Sunday. Contacted UPS, they stated that the package is now "lost" and needs to have an investigation opened...however, that can only be initiated by the sender.

Yet another reason to call my good friends at Microsoft, they're opening an investigation on their end and will get back to me on Saturday (yeah, we'll see).

Now my question for the group - Anyone else had a 360 being returned from the graveyard only to be lost by UPS? I have no idea what to expect at this point...I'm guessing minimum of 30 days to UPS to investigate and reimburse if they're even going to pay. Should be even more fun.[/QUOTE]

see this is why I don't trust UPS.... They know what a 360 Coffin box looks like. They know what comes from the repair center, they know how much the box usually weights....

Chances are someone at UPS now has your 360 and either keeps it or sells it off. If they marked it as "Lost", then someone in UPS swiped it.

This is why I am glad I have the 2 year unlimited exchange thru Microcenter... That way I can change it on the spot without the weeks of waiting.

My 360 locked today in the middle of the Burnout Paradise demo .
It went to a black [blank] screen and wouldn't respond , oh well it was a great 25 months .

I finally got my 360 back after two weeks. The one I sent in was the replacement for the original RROD Xbox, that red ringed about 3 minutes after I took it out of the coffin, so this BS has been going on for months. Anyway, when I sent it in, they gave me a bigger coffin, with instructions to include my power cord and power supply. Guess what---they didn't send either of them back to me with the refurbished Xbox (manufactured date of 9-11-06). When I called, they set up the "fulfillment order." I'm numb to all of this, but will eventually craft a harsh letter to MS when this is all said and done. If I hadn't bought a Halo 3 Xbox the day before Halo came out, I would've been without an Xbox since late September.

[quote name='Kromax']I finally got my 360 back after two weeks. The one I sent in was the replacement for the original RROD Xbox, that red ringed about 3 minutes after I took it out of the coffin, so this BS has been going on for months. Anyway, when I sent it in, they gave me a bigger coffin, with instructions to include my power cord and power supply. Guess what---they didn't send either of them back to me with the refurbished Xbox (manufactured date of 9-11-06). When I called, they set up the "fulfillment order." I'm numb to all of this, but will eventually craft a harsh letter to MS when this is all said and done. If I hadn't bought a Halo 3 Xbox the day before Halo came out, I would've been without an Xbox since late September.[/quote

What a load of crap. When I called with my 2nd rrod, I was told I would get a larger coffin and to send the power supply and cord with the dead 360. The coffin arrived and it was the same size as my original coffin (meanng no room for the power brick). So I just sent the 360. I'm glad now after reading your story. Could you imagine how dead the 360 would be if they didn't have so many good games? I mean give the 360 the PS3 line-up with the 360's build quality and it sales would rival the Atari Jaguar.

I got my replacement premium back yesterday. It had a manufacture date of 11/21/07. I guess thats kinda good news considering my last replacement was made in April of '06. We'll see how it goes.

[quote name='Machikunas']Well, mine finally died. This is what mine is doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEGKDGPj1iw&feature=related

I can actually see the little piece stuck to the top when i look inside the open disc tray with a flashlight. It scrapes every time you open or close the disc.... frustrating.

I filled out the form on the website for a coffin.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I never had that problem. My nephew's makes that noise. His first one used to make the noise and make the circular rings on the back of the disc. I wonder if I could fix it.

The 360 really is made out of shitty parts.

[quote name='help1']Well, mine arrived at the repair center on the 11th, so when should I expect it to come back?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, but mine arrived there on the 11th as well. Let me know if you get any updates and I'll let you know as well with mine to see if we'll get them back around the same time. I'm in Philly right now, you're in Long Island so it's not that far apart.

[quote name='GenghisJohn']I've got a weird problem. I just got my console back, my serial number didnt change. 2 of my XBLA games dont work, sonic and SoR2. All my other games work, I called MS and they're baffled, they said they'd call in a month...[/quote]

I had the same problem..called microsoft so i can get my credits back to repurchase the games. They said i'll have to wait 30 days for them to call me back. Is there a site somewhere for Customer Feedback? Their employees are worthless they have no knowledge of any microsoft products and you can tell they read scripts all day. Their replies is so generic and it pisses me off that they cant find a solution to any xbox 360 related problems. Why are these ppl even hired?

Just put back in DOA 4 and we should have all seen this comeing from the start. In the wrestling stage in the back the sign scrolls "Don't for get to bring a towel" or is it "Don't forget your towel" any way it is somthing to that effect. I just died laughing.

hmmm I just got a call from my friend down in FL who's had his 360 for nearly a year now. He is claiming that his 360 turns on but can no longer hear the fan at all. Sometimes the 360 will boot to it's logo then stop..or no video signal at all... He expects a RRoD anytime now and I told him that it's gonna be a 4-6 week hold out.

Sucks huh?

[quote name='Flyersfan']I have no idea, but mine arrived there on the 11th as well. Let me know if you get any updates and I'll let you know as well with mine to see if we'll get them back around the same time. I'm in Philly right now, you're in Long Island so it's not that far apart.[/quote]
Mine arrived at the repair center on the 10th and shipped today (14th)

Call from the phone number that you set up your account with and it will give you an update when you call 1-800-4MY-XBOX

You can then navigate through and get an operator to give you your tracking number

Quick question, is it normal for MS to ship back via Fed Ex?

If I get my same 360 back, I hope the "towel trick" doesn't have any "long term" side effects

[quote name='h2dk']Mine arrived at the repair center on the 10th and shipped today (14th)

Call from the phone number that you set up your account with and it will give you an update when you call 1-800-4MY-XBOX

You can then navigate through and get an operator to give you your tracking number

If I get my same 360 back, I hope the "towel trick" doesn't have any "long term" side effects[/quote]
Thanks for the advice. Turns out that they shipped back my 360 yesterday, and its making its way back home! I am really pleased with the turnaround time. I shipped this thing out on the 6th, and its already coming back! I hope it comes by Monday!

[quote name='h2dk']Mine arrived at the repair center on the 10th and shipped today (14th)

If I get my same 360 back, I hope the "towel trick" doesn't have any "long term" side effects[/QUOTE]

Thanks as well for that, Max said my 360 has been repaired and is shipped out.

Now, pardon my dumbassedness, but how do I get to the operator to give me my tracking #? I can't seem to find that option, after he tells me my 360 is repaired I say something like Go On, he gives me some options, but none will connect me to an operator.

You'd think they would just e-mail you the tracking # or something...

MOTHER fuckER my dvd drive seems to have died! This is my 3rd system since launch to.... I fired up my 360 downloaded a few things then put in Assassins Creed and got unplayable disc on the main blade. Reset it and got the same so I tried like 5 other games nothing..... Tried a few dvds nothing everything shows unplayable disc and all my stuff is perfect condition. Tried both vertical and horizontal. Not sure what happened as I had just watched a dvd on it a few hours ago. Piece of crap Omega Man not only did you suck ass but you killed my 360!

I've got both a Wii and a PS3 to play while I wait for repairs but this constant breaking bullshit is totally unacceptable. 360 is much better than the rest of the systems but it's a fragile POS.....

BTW a word from a system return vet. If you don't mind paying a couple bucks you can cut down your wait time by a 4-5 days if you just get the shipping address and UPS it to them yourself. I just save my coffins and use them the next time. Saves 4 days at least: the day you call and they process your box and then the 3 day select to you plus another day if you are not able to ship back your system the same day you get the coffin. Only costs about $13 with insurance so it's worth it if you really want to get your system back quickly. :D

My "first" 360, only 4 months old (Premium w/ HDMI) is no longer displaying a picture. At first it started displaying weird color artifacts, but now I can't get video at all. Tried different connections and TVs, but no use.

I've called for the hearse. Hold me.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Thanks as well for that, Max said my 360 has been repaired and is shipped out.

Now, pardon my dumbassedness, but how do I get to the operator to give me my tracking #? I can't seem to find that option, after he tells me my 360 is repaired I say something like Go On, he gives me some options, but none will connect me to an operator.

You'd think they would just e-mail you the tracking # or something...[/quote]
You have to actually talk to a real person, not Max. So try getting a new repair report, and then ask for the tracking number from the person you work with.

[quote name='Cantaloup']My "first" 360, only 4 months old (Premium w/ HDMI) is no longer displaying a picture. At first it started displaying weird color artifacts, but now I can't get video at all. Tried different connections and TVs, but no use.

I've called for the hearse. Hold me.[/quote]
I feel your pain!

:grouphug:

[quote name='Cantaloup']My "first" 360, only 4 months old (Premium w/ HDMI) is no longer displaying a picture. At first it started displaying weird color artifacts, but now I can't get video at all. Tried different connections and TVs, but no use.

I've called for the hearse. Hold me.[/quote]

Shit. Hearing about the new ones biting the dust stinks. I don't know why I would be shocked though.

Well my dvd drive seems to have come back to life and i've played several hours of Assassins Creed with no problems. I hate this now i'll be wondering if I can play every damn time I turn the system on. If you gonna die just die already dont make me suffer..

THinking of just ordering a coffin just in case. I wonder how long the return shipping label stays active if dvd drive does die soon.. Damn you Microsoft and your cheapass systems.

I had a launch 360 die a few days ago. I got the coffin 2 days ago and sent it back. My shit died 2 days into my vacation. So for 5 days I watched Battlestar Galactica season 1-2.5 and my Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 1-7.

This was the worst fucking vacation I ever had. Those are my 2 favorite shows, but frack!!!! I was wanting to catch up on some gaming since I have had to be on-call for 2 weeks prior to my vacation.

Sent it Dec. 13, when do you think I will be getting it back. I live in Ohio if that makes a difference.

[quote name='Mr Wahoo']I had a launch 360 die a few days ago. I got the coffin 2 days ago and sent it back. My shit died 2 days into my vacation. So for 5 days I watched Battlestar Galactica season 1-2.5 and my Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 1-7.

This was the worst fucking vacation I ever had. Those are my 2 favorite shows, but frack!!!! I was wanting to catch up on some gaming since I have had to be on-call for 2 weeks prior to my vacation.

Sent it Dec. 13, when do you think I will be getting it back. I live in Ohio if that makes a difference.[/quote]
They use 3 day select so figure 3 business days to them and 3 back hopefully they ship the same day they received so 1 day processing doesn't get added. I'd guess thursday or friday of this week.... Trace your package and once you see it delivered call the next day and find out your return tracking number.

I feel your pain about the dead 360 on your vacation. I'm paranoid as hell about mine since i'm on vacation the last 2 weeks of December. I've got alot of catching up to do on some games planned. I've got a Wii and PS3 as well but they aint the same. :D

I play PSU and puts me 2 weeks behind everyone else. They even gave us an update on Fri and now I got to play a little catch up, arghhh!!!!

An IGN and Neo Gaf member, Shamrock2211 (also the most vocal IGN is in EA's pocket board member,) has an interesting theory that Microsoft may have changed some of the newer systems (ie Falcon's) to have just 1 RLOD instead of 3 when it fails in order to save on some repair costs. The links he gives for backup are:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217072

The hypothesis of that poster is:

"Using that thread at GAF is really the only research I can do because it is one of the only threads that keeps all discussion about system failure in one thread. I know for a fact on IGN I have seen literally dozens of singular threads about 1RLOD and people complaining how MS won't fix their system and it will cost them 99 dollars. Now whether you think it's crap or not, the fact still remains that for a year and a half I didn't see any threads about 1RLOD until recently (the last 4 months).

"Now how do we go from no one talking about 1RLOD, no one even knowing what 1RLOD was, to now seeing it posted about regularly at least to the point that no one even questions what it is anymore. People see a 1RLOD thread and they know exactly what it is. On top of this that thread on NEO-GAF, not one person posted about 1RLOD prior to August 7th, 2007. Not one out of thousands of replies. In the last 4 months there have been 10 cases.

"I think the e74 error code is for the ANA chip scalier. I think prior to this patch in August a ANA failure was reported as 3RLOD. I think MS bean counters sat down and crunched the numbers of exactly how many 3RLOD errors are specifically from the ANA chip failing. After gathering their data I think they decided that since the ANA chip and the GPU are two separate chips and ANA failure is not as common as GPU failure, they decided to seperate the two and give the ANA failure it's own error code. Even if ANA failure was only about 3-5% of 3RLOD cause, it would still save MS millions of dollars out of the 1.3 billion they earmarked for repairs.

"Now the reason I think ANA failure used to be classified as 3RLOD is because some of the same symptoms of 3RLOD are now reporting as 1RLOD. For instance people who are reporting 1RLOD are saying their system is freezing with artifacts on the screen (aka checkerboard freeze). In the past that was always the pre-cursor to 3RLOD. It was thought that was the first signs of the GPU dieing.

"In separating the two errors it saves MS some money, ANA chip failures are not as common, so the increase in 1RLOD would not be massive, but we would see a increase exactly like we are seeing now, and MS can sort of cover themselves because the ANA chip and GPU are two separate chips. They can justify the re-classification by saying 3RLOD is stricly GPU related and ANA is 1 Rlod related. So they would feel justified in their minds and possibly legally. Although they surely wouldn't want to admit or advertise this change as they would be crucified in the court of public opinion."

So my question for recently died 360 users, have you seen this happening with your or your friends systems? The reason I'm asking is my extended warranty with Microsoft ends next year (bought my console off EBay in Dec. 05) and I don't really have the money to buy a new console so if this is an issue, I may just need to pay the money to MS for a new extended warranty.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

[quote name='MSUHitman']An IGN and Neo Gaf member, Shamrock2211 (also the most vocal IGN is in EA's pocket board member,) has an interesting theory that Microsoft may have changed some of the newer systems (ie Falcon's) to have just 1 RLOD instead of 3 when it fails in order to save on some repair costs. The links he gives for backup are:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217072

The hypothesis of that poster is:

"Using that thread at GAF is really the only research I can do because it is one of the only threads that keeps all discussion about system failure in one thread. I know for a fact on IGN I have seen literally dozens of singular threads about 1RLOD and people complaining how MS won't fix their system and it will cost them 99 dollars. Now whether you think it's crap or not, the fact still remains that for a year and a half I didn't see any threads about 1RLOD until recently (the last 4 months).

"Now how do we go from no one talking about 1RLOD, no one even knowing what 1RLOD was, to now seeing it posted about regularly at least to the point that no one even questions what it is anymore. People see a 1RLOD thread and they know exactly what it is. On top of this that thread on NEO-GAF, not one person posted about 1RLOD prior to August 7th, 2007. Not one out of thousands of replies. In the last 4 months there have been 10 cases.

"I think the e74 error code is for the ANA chip scalier. I think prior to this patch in August a ANA failure was reported as 3RLOD. I think MS bean counters sat down and crunched the numbers of exactly how many 3RLOD errors are specifically from the ANA chip failing. After gathering their data I think they decided that since the ANA chip and the GPU are two separate chips and ANA failure is not as common as GPU failure, they decided to seperate the two and give the ANA failure it's own error code. Even if ANA failure was only about 3-5% of 3RLOD cause, it would still save MS millions of dollars out of the 1.3 billion they earmarked for repairs.

"Now the reason I think ANA failure used to be classified as 3RLOD is because some of the same symptoms of 3RLOD are now reporting as 1RLOD. For instance people who are reporting 1RLOD are saying their system is freezing with artifacts on the screen (aka checkerboard freeze). In the past that was always the pre-cursor to 3RLOD. It was thought that was the first signs of the GPU dieing.

"In separating the two errors it saves MS some money, ANA chip failures are not as common, so the increase in 1RLOD would not be massive, but we would see a increase exactly like we are seeing now, and MS can sort of cover themselves because the ANA chip and GPU are two separate chips. They can justify the re-classification by saying 3RLOD is stricly GPU related and ANA is 1 Rlod related. So they would feel justified in their minds and possibly legally. Although they surely wouldn't want to admit or advertise this change as they would be crucified in the court of public opinion."

So my question for recently died 360 users, have you seen this happening with your or your friends systems? The reason I'm asking is my extended warranty with Microsoft ends next year (bought my console off EBay in Dec. 05) and I don't really have the money to buy a new console so if this is an issue, I may just need to pay the money to MS for a new extended warranty.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.[/QUOTE]

what the fuck!?!?!? Now that's plain shady. Now MS can say we will fix it for free if you get 3 red lights, but if you get less then 3 red lights, you have to pay us.... fuck YOU MS!!!

Seriously, what's the deal with the class action lawsuits? People have the chance to really fuck up Microsoft because there are so many Red Ringing Systems out there. Seriously, if Microsoft doesn't get there act together... It's really going to hurt sales for their next system as no one will trust MS for building a system that won't randomly brake down easily.

I wish MS would get hit hard for all their BS on this. But it seems class action lawsuits are a freakin joke. The end result will be 360 consumers that have had problems can fill out a form and get $5 off a future game purchase.

I sent in my 360 during the summer and now it's starting to crap out again. I'm wondering, if you got it back, does that give you another full year warranty (non red ring related) for general hardware issues or is it only one year from the initial day you purchased it? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

[quote name='$hady']THinking of just ordering a coffin just in case. I wonder how long the return shipping label stays active if dvd drive does die soon.. Damn you Microsoft and your cheapass systems.[/QUOTE]

I believe it's 30 days.

[quote name='Rozz']I sent in my 360 during the summer and now it's starting to crap out again. I'm wondering, if you got it back, does that give you another full year warranty (non red ring related) for general hardware issues or is it only one year from the initial day you purchased it? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.[/quote]

I believe any refurb you get back has a 1 year general warranty for all parts.

I posted last week that my 360 had gotten the E74/1RLOD. My brother called MS yesterday. We hadn't registered our 360 online before, so they needed our contact information and all that good stuff. My brother said they're going to send a coffin and never said a word about charging us. We never gave a credit card number so, the only way they would bill us if they mailed us a bill, which I doubt would happen. Pretty sweet since that 1 year warranty of ours expired (though it never existed since, like I said earlier, we never registered our console).

Interesting 1RLOD theory though, but I guess MS wants to fix ours anyways.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I wish MS would get hit hard for all their BS on this. But it seems class action lawsuits are a freakin joke. The end result will be 360 consumers that have had problems can fill out a form and get $5 off a future game purchase.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the lawyers will get $500 million for a few weeks of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back