Official "Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King" Discussion

Dammit, I'm so tempted to pick this up, but after the DDD sale, new Seinfeld seaons coming out, and Black Friday, I don't think I can work it into my budget. I'll break down soon, I'm sure.

I am on the fence with this game. I LOVE the DQ series but I really, really really HATE cel shaded graphics. I couldn't play Celda any more than 3 or 4 hours because of that cel crap. Ugh....what to do, what to do...

I really enjoyed Dragon Quest VIII from the demo that I played, but I'm most likely going to wait for this to drop a little before I pick it up.

[quote name='clockworkvictim']Hooray! I got it, now I'm waiting to play it until this evening.[/QUOTE]

Good deal. Be sure to give us your impression on the game. ;)

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']That's because you're honest. Selling the demo before you have it in hand is against Ebay rules and is considered fraud.

Slidecage: In the future, please refrain from doing that.[/QUOTE]

really??? i thought as long as you had it in hand before the auction ended it was okay. ( i could see this with the BIN what i never thought would happen 20 bucks for a demo)

The dude paid today around 8am and i was able to get the game around 2pm and sent it out in the mail at 230 ..... I was shocked it grabbed 20 bucks.. i just

i just listed it cause i knew i would had it by the time the regular auction ended (nov 21)

and how can it be fraud when there are ton of people selling Xbox 360 and other games are not even out yet.... it would be interesting to see how many people list stuff and dont even have it and run out and buy it after its sold : )

i wont be able to play it till Friday (maybe tomorrow) Lost and invasion is on tonight so i wont even get it in the system tonight : (

Slidecage: I recall it being said a few times that selling something you aren't actually "holding" at the moment you create the auction is considered fraud. I have never sold anything on Ebay I just read these boards. I'm sure someone around here knows the deal. Sorry if I was a little rude in my post, I try not to get that way.

My night started innocently enough. I went food shopping with a friend. But after we were done, we glanced over to the Gamestop in the same stripmall and decided to walk over and take a look.

I really didnt want to buy yet, but the clerk says 'ya know we have DQ8' and I said yeah, but Im gonna wait to get it used and save a few bucks. So he says 'But you know your not guaranteed to get the FF12 demo if you get it used' I know its not much of a salespitch but I caved and bought it new. I even got the strat guide! This is the first game Ive bought new and full price in a loooong time! But I didnt get the slime controller. A game I can justify to my wife, a strat guide barely, but if I came home with the slime too it would have been over. "You went out for groceries and came back with WHAT???" lol

Anyway, I fell asleep last night before even trying it out but I have a question for everyone who has it so far.

When you first bring it home and play, what did you put in first? The game itself or the FF12 Demo? I wonder what the breakdown is amongst gamers?

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Slidecage: I recall it being said a few times that selling something you aren't actually "holding" at the moment you create the auction is considered fraud. I have never sold anything on Ebay I just read these boards. I'm sure someone around here knows the deal. Sorry if I was a little rude in my post, I try not to get that way.[/QUOTE]

didnt take it as rude or anything i was a little shocked and didnt know about it that is why i was asking... I did it a few times with YU gi oh cards (listed first and then got the game later , since the game didnt ship) Though those auctions none of them was BIN and the time the Listing ended i had the items

thanks for letting me know cause i didnt know that

now back to DQ 8

is it just me or is this game sort of hard when you first start out. Im on level 3 played around hour or so and i been running back and forth to the first town without even getting though the first cave yet. Its a fun game im still glad i got it for 30 bucks

wont have much time to play it though till monday probally

tonight lots of tv shows on.. Friday might play it little, Saturday movie night and sunday we are having thanksgiving since i work all freaking day thanksgiving

[. A game I can justify to my wife, a strat guide barely, but if I came home with the slime too it would have been over. "You went out for groceries and came back with WHAT???" lol

I can see it on the news now

Man beating by wife with a slime controller More news at 10 : )

[quote name='zewone']All I care about:

How is Final Fantasy 12?[/QUOTE]

I like it very much. It's still the same core FF gameplay painted onto a MMORPG base. No more random battles, but you still command your party in the same way, their action time depends on what command they're performing and they will repeat that command until you tell them otherwise (so no more continually Attacking or casting Ice against fire monsters and whatnot). The demo is pretty short overall (about 30 minutes total) but it's a nice taste of what's to come next year...

As for DQ8, it's fantastic. From listening to the opening theme and the Name Entry tune to running around the world, it's exactly what I've been waiting for these past years. Oh I did decide to not get the guide after I heard it was neutered of any spoiler material. I like collecting guide books, but I like them to be all encompassing so maybe I'll just wait til it drops in price in a year or so...

i didnt get the box or the instruction booklet from my EB...idiots

so i have to go back later today and bitch about not having the instructions (i dont care about the outer box)

anywho...DQ8 is amazing, FF demo is better than i thought it would be....and i cant wait to play some more DQ tonite!

i think this game will turn alot of people off due to its sort of hard.... Played it for 1 1/2 hours people are level 5 but i still cant get pass the 2nd floor of the waterfall cave... seems the core of this game is going to be Massive level building to get anywhere in this game...

I still find its a fun game thought the spinning world hurts my eyes sometimes

anyone else think this is sort of a harder DQ game

money seems to be hard to come by as well... 90 mins in and i still dont have enough to get a weapon upgrade (though i did pick up 3 pieces of armor)

Yeah i agree with everyone... This game is awesome so far... I only spent like 30 mins playing it but I still love the visuals and the gameplay.

I would recomend the guide as well becase there are no spoilers... and it only directs you where to go, not actually what to do. I think that is how all guides should be..

Overall, buy both and be happy :).

DQ8 is awesome!!! I'm having a total blast with it so far. I haven't tried FF12 yet, and at this rate I don't think I will until I beat Dragon Quest.

I played and beat the FFXII demo last night. *minor spoilers below*

it was very short, and literally contained no story whatsoever but it did give you a good flavor for what combat will be like. All in all I was not very impressed, but I wont judge the game until its out because the demo is so short.

Started DQ8 last night after the FF demo. Barely got into it before I fell asleep but what I experienced so far has been wonderful! =D

I picked this up today and palyed for maybe 5 hours or so. I'll agree with those who say that the game starts out extremely difficult and just doesn't let up, but that's the thing with the Dragon Quest Series, even since the days of the NES it has always been "Fight Enemies, Level Up, progress through the story" and opposed to Final Fantasy's "Progress through the game while leveling up" type of gameplay.

I absolutely love this game - it is exactly what I was looking for in a RPG, one where you can run freely around in search of treasure chests and other little extras. The storyline and characters are entertaining and it's not so overwrought like the Final Fantasy series on PS1 and PS2. I love the leveling up aspect; I've found it impossible to progress onto the next town/dungeon without first making sure I went over every square inch of the surrounding territory. When Jessica joined my party, she was at level 10 while my "hero" and Yangus were at level 15. Once you get ahead of the game in terms of leveling and money near the start, I think you're good to go for awhile. I haven't even touched the FF12 demo yet.

I'm about 16 hours i it. Great game. How is everyone leveling up their characters skill points? Here's what I'm doing

Hero - Sword + Courage
Yagun - Axe + Fistcuffs
Jessica - Whips + Staff
Angelo - Sword + maybe Bows. He seems to get skill points slower than everyone else.

--- Not to impressed with the FFXII demo (if you could call it a demo.) But maybe it'll grow on me.

I'm going:

Hero- Sword+Boomerang+Courage
Yangus- Axe+Scythe+Humanity
Jessica- Whip+Staff+Sex Appeal
I haven't gotten Angelo yet, so give me a bit longer then I'll make a decision there.

I think it's better to just focus on two skills for the first half of the game, and in some cases maybe even just one. So you get more powerful skills earlier in the game. I think everyone averages about 250 skill points by the end of the game.

Some might be worried that if you don't have enough skills points put into a weapon the weapon will be useless. But I've only invested 16 points into boomerang and I think that's all I'm gonna need, cause the boomerang is a awsome weapon, but it doesn't need skill points to be usefull.

I played for another couple hours today.... Just about to move away from the first area. I guess Im moving slow.

Anyway my strat for hero and yangus are:
Hero-1 sword, 1 boomerang/1 courage (every other time)
Yargus-Just put six points in one of them, forget what its called to get the first skill, and the rest in hand combat (also forget what its called)

Im basically following what the quide reccomends.

I finally fully finished the game.... I got everyone to level 99 and got the best items... whew... took me long enough...

[quote name='MarkMan']I finally fully finished the game.... I got everyone to level 99 and got the best items... whew... took me long enough...[/QUOTE]

How many hours? I know you got it like 2 weeks before everyone else.

I am freaking LOVING this game! Im in at about 12 hours right now. But 30 min of that was spent watching family guy last night. =p

Right now Im spending my skill points thusly:

Hero: Sword & Boomerang, some Courage
Yangus: All 3 weapons, but mostly clubs and some humanity
Jessica: Whip, Staff, Sex Appeal

at first money and experience was hard to come by but now its easy. Try using the alchemy pot alot, you can take 2 10gold items and brew up and item that sells for 100 gold. Plus you can make some great weapons and equipment.

Ive gotten efficient at power leveling too. I just go to an area and use Yangus' Whistle to draw in monsters over and over, the money and experience keep rolling in. Then when Im low on mp or healing I just evac or chimera wing back to town and go to the Inn. I can level up 2 or 3 times, and generate thousands of gold in an hour using this method.

Is the real game as hard as the demo? I got in about 5 fights before I died because there was no way to heal without running back to town.

I tried the battle mode on the demo too. I dont know how fond of the game I'd be... Most of the attacks use mana and you don't get much. Enemies hit really hard Are you just supposed to spend a shitload of money on healing items?

[quote name='Kayden']Is the real game as hard as the demo? I got in about 5 fights before I died because there was no way to heal without running back to town.

I tried the battle mode on the demo too. I dont know how fond of the game I'd be... Most of the attacks use mana and you don't get much. Enemies hit really hard Are you just supposed to spend a shitload of money on healing items?[/QUOTE]

You learn a heal spell very quickly, within the first couple of levels.

[quote name='rockhero']You learn a heal spell very quickly, within the first couple of levels.[/QUOTE]

Its like level 3, yea. But it costs 2 mana and you only get 5 by that time. Not real helpful...

[quote name='Kayden']Its like level 3, yea. But it costs 2 mana and you only get 5 by that time. Not real helpful...[/QUOTE]

Yeah but healing herbs only cost 8 gold and thats not alot. It does start out very hard, but around levels 6-10 things start to get easier. You have more mana, more money, and can take more than 2 hits without dying.

Ugh... I just read some Alchemy recipe spoilers on gamefaqs and Im disgusted... Ive sold soo many items and trinkets that I could have used to make great items and weapons... Im almost tempted to start over again. Heres a tip people, dont sell anything! You may regret it! lol

[quote name='lurknomore']Where's the excitement for this game.....yes the 360 is out, but this is a godly RPG.[/QUOTE]

360? Why would I pay $500 + to play mediocre looking launch titles when I can play a possible GOTY candidate in DQ8? Let those people wait in those long lines for a chance to waste their money. I got everything I need for this holiday weekend right here in my PS2. ;)

anyone else playing this game and thinking to themself .... Im not getting anywhere in this game due to the high amount of random monster fights. i just got to the abby (where you return a ring) to get to a broken down abby... im right now 7 hours into this game (i stopped playing it last saturday to today thanks to Smackdown 2006)

i played it for 52 mins today and i didnt get anyplace im still need to go though the entire old abby ... Way too many monster fights.. i like the skill point idea but the wings make the travel part too easy cause all you need to do is step one foot into a town and you can go to that town at any time... probally cause they knew the random encounter was so freaking high

Play time 7 hours Main person is Level 14

i printed a walk though off gamefaqs in case i get stuck (wont pay 15 for a guide) and how it looks This might be a 50-80 hour game on how slow im moving.. Its like a 21 printed page walk though and im only on page 3

What's in your monstar team so far?

Matt Damonsters
- Axe Raptor (I'm sure he's in many of yours too.)
- Hori (King Slime)
- Big stone guy (Forgot his name)

am i gonna like this game? i enjoyed final fantasy vii, x and x-2 but I got bored of Lunar the silver star fairly quickly.. I am not an anime fan whatsoever. I was torn between this and 50 cent bulletproof but I went for DQ8 since I think it will retain its value longer and I can forsee a quick 50 cent price cut. However, I am worried that this is going to be similar to Lunar, and I grew tired of the anime and "cutesy" looking characters fairly quickly...

Well I must say this is one the better RPG's I have played in a LONG time. However I think I may have missed something important hopefully not can someone let me know if I did, here's what I think I missed:

When the ferry is traveling to Pretain Quin(sp?) and Yangus gets done telling his story I forget to talk to Jessica first before talking to the King and getting the Alchemy pot, did I miss a key part of the story? or any extra items?

So far I'm gonna have to give this game a 9.5/10 and I'm only 7hrs into it with level 12 characters except Jessica who is at level 9.

Dijital, when taking the ferry to Peregrin Quay if you don't talk to Jessica the second time around you don't miss out on anything major, so don't worry.

Im 40 hours in, level 28 or so, and still loving it. Ive just gotten an alternate mode of transportation besides walking, so the random encounter rate is alot lower. I havent had as much time to play as I'd like lately, but Im still into the game bigtime!

[quote name='Puffa469']Im 40 hours in, level 28 or so, and still loving it. Ive just gotten an alternate mode of transportation besides walking, so the random encounter rate is alot lower. I havent had as much time to play as I'd like lately, but Im still into the game bigtime![/QUOTE]

Goddam 40 hours? Im only 7:30 hours in and thats with 3 sicks days.... I dont have much time for games i guess :(

[quote name='Puffa469']Ive gotten efficient at power leveling too. I just go to an area and use Yangus' Whistle to draw in monsters over and over, the money and experience keep rolling in. Then when Im low on mp or healing I just evac or chimera wing back to town and go to the Inn. I can level up 2 or 3 times, and generate thousands of gold in an hour using this method.[/QUOTE]

wow, i was about to suggest this method too hehe.

my method is to go to a dungeon and use the whistle non stop for about 15 to 20 minutes. it seems like my guys can level up within that amount of time if you're in a good area. use the main hero's boomerang weapon to take everybody out in 2 or 3 turns max!

i'm loving this game so far. i haven't touched my gc, psp, gba or xbox since i started dq8 hehe.

[quote name='Puffa469']Im 40 hours in, level 28 or so, and still loving it. Ive just gotten an alternate mode of transportation besides walking, so the random encounter rate is alot lower. I havent had as much time to play as I'd like lately, but Im still into the game bigtime![/QUOTE]

man are you flying though this game or is level 18-27 need ton of Exp..

im just turn 11 hours into it but my main hero is already Level 17

that would suck if it took 30 hours more to move from level 17 to 28

im putting about an hour a day into it. hopefully beat it by 2007 : )

Leveling does slow down a bit. I'm 60 hours in and at level 39. The only way I've found to move a bit more quickly is head to a couple of certain areas where liquid metal slimes can be found at 10000 exp each (that's if they don't run off before you kill them). Still a lot of fun even after all this time and random battles!

90+ hours and level 48. Leveling is very slow, even with metal kings and liquid metals. My monster team is Octurion, Skeledoid, and Talos.

At hour 78 I'm right at the end - I can't believe how much time I've put into this game since I picked it up on the day of release. My only (slight) complaint has been waiting around for my damn alchemy pot to hurry up and make new items; I've got a couple of good things cookin' right now and some new recipes from the most recent dungeon, but I'm having to wander around and wait for the oven bell to ring. For anyone still hesitating about paying $40 on this release - don't wait any longer unless you're getting it as a Christmas/Channukah/Kwanzaa present. My #3 game of the year, right behind RE4 and God of War.

bread's done
Back