Official "Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King" Discussion

man, forget about using whistle to draw in monsters to power level... my new problem is that I have to walk all over the damn continent waiting for things to cook in my Alchemy pot! Ive always got something brewing in there... I wish it was quicker!

Rennet Powder + Milk = Cheese
Cheese + Red Mould = Spicy Cheese
Spicy Cheese + Red Mould x2 = Super Spicy Cheese

Super Spicy Cheese sells for 600 a piece!

and thats the story of my life! lol

I just got the Venus' Tear and I psyched the Hero and Yangus at the boss battle to 100. If you haven't seen your hero do a 100 psych-up yet, you need to do that right away. I was amazed. I'm used to just having your average game put flashing lights on your character when they get excited. I won't spoil it so just do it.

Great game as well. I'm enjoying just running around, exploring and getting whatever treasure chests I can open with my thief's key :)

I don't play a lot of RPGs, I've played only a handful my entire life. Would I enjoy this game? I've been interested in it. Is it difficult for a non-hardcore RPG player?

[quote name='asianxcore']I don't play a lot of RPGs, I've played only a handful my entire life. Would I enjoy this game? I've been interested in it. Is it difficult for a non-hardcore RPG player?[/QUOTE]

I think it is fairly difficult. It is a great game but I think its more for people that like RPGs. If your willing to give the genre a chance its great because it takes the oldschool RPG feeling and puts a nice coat of paint on it with an interesting story. Personally, I would buy the game and the guide if you are interested. Its money well spent considering this game lasts at leat 60 hours.

In Dragon Quest VIII does anyone know where Trolls Maze is? Does anyone know where to find the Hellspawn?

[quote name='Merry']In Dragon Quest VIII does anyone know where Trolls Maze is? Does anyone know where to find the Hellspawn?[/QUOTE]

SPOILER!!!!

Troll maze is in Argonia, inside the chancelor's house. You can access it after he disappears.

SPOILER!!!!

[quote name='Scrubking']SPOILER!!!!

Troll maze is in Argonia, inside the chancelor's house. You can access it after he disappears.

SPOILER!!!![/QUOTE]

Cool, I just got the Big Argon Heart and am headed back to Argonia. Im level 27 with about 30 hours of gameplay. This game is addicting. Tiem to go to the Dark Ruins.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Cool, I just got the Big Argon Heart and am headed back to Argonia. Im level 27 with about 30 hours of gameplay. This game is addicting. Tiem to go to the Dark Ruins.[/QUOTE]

Im just a little past that part of the game, and its been pretty easy so far... but the monsters Im encoutering in this new area are kicking my ass! Ad for the first time since the waterfall cave in the beginning, I had to evac out of a dungeon without finishing it. I also encountered a unique monster (the ones you can see walking around) and it wiped out my entire party with one attack!!!

Just when I started thinking this game was gonna be a cakewalk, DQ8 has humbled me. lol :lol:

I don't know how I missed that,I'll have to go back and see. I'm at the Black Citadel now. Have you run into a monster called Hellspawn,you're supposed to get Nook Grass from them.

Im still at the Argon Heart I spent 2 hours leveling up and got 2 more levels. There is soo much gear that I want to buy at the Bazaar but money is short for my party. I've been keeping all the items I get since I might be able to make something out of them with Alchemy. Is it wise to keep all your items or to sell them?

I would keep everything until you're sure you don't need it. I think the best thing to make for Jessica is the Divine Bustier. def. is 105

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Can someone let me know if all places sell this game in the collector's box? I am a sucker for things such as this.[/QUOTE]

I think the only version availible is the collectors version. That's all I've seen.

[quote name='slidecage']man are you flying though this game or is level 18-27 need ton of Exp..

im just turn 11 hours into it but my main hero is already Level 17

that would suck if it took 30 hours more to move from level 17 to 28

im putting about an hour a day into it. hopefully beat it by 2007 : )[/QUOTE]

man i havent played this game since dec 3 .. fun game but WAY too many random monster encounters..

[quote name='slidecage']man i havent played this game since dec 3 .. fun game but WAY too many random monster encounters..[/QUOTE]

If you use some holy water it will cut down on your randam encounters.

I got the game friday and am loving it. I just passed the mole tunnel area. When do i get to start the monster arena?

[quote name='greendj27']If you use some holy water it will cut down on your randam encounters.

I got the game friday and am loving it. I just passed the mole tunnel area. When do i get to start the monster arena?[/QUOTE]

Signs point to 'very soon' =)

And as for too many random encounters, there are items to help reduce that as GreenDJ mentioned, and later on you find alternative methods of transportation that lessen the encounter rate.

I'm still on the Mirror part. I haven't played DQ8 in 4 days now since I got my 360. I better play some today though. Game is crazy good.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm still on the Mirror part. I haven't played DQ8 in 4 days now since I got my 360. I better play some today though. Game is crazy good.[/QUOTE]

You got DQ8 and a 360? Be careful your head doesnt explode from a gaming goodness overdose!

The coins,I just sell them and the Lady's ring I haven't found anybody to give it to. It can be equipped by everyone.

!!!SPOILER!!!

I am now in the dark ruins but am struggling with Dhoulmagus, I've killed 1 of the puppeteers I think I almost got the 2nd one down, what tactics do you guys recommend?

My levels are:
Hero: 27
Yangus: 26
Jessica: 25
Angelo: 25

!!!SPOILER!!!

[quote name='Dijital']!!!SPOILER!!!

I am now in the dark ruins but am struggling with Dhoulmagus, I've killed 1 of the puppeteers I think I almost got the 2nd one down, what tactics do you guys recommend?

My levels are:
Hero: 27
Yangus: 26
Jessica: 25
Angelo: 25

!!!SPOILER!!![/QUOTE]

That's where I am too, with almost the same levels. I think I need to level up more.

Doulmagus was tough for me also, but I didn't die (almost did.) So far he's been the toughest boss I fought and I'm right at the end.

What the heck is the main character's name? Hero?

I don't want him to have my name, I was wondering if it's like BOF, which has Ryu but is unnamed when you first start the game.

Just got this today...I hope I end up liking it, had to abandon DQ7 because I got tired of leveling up, but I couldn't resist this any longer.

I love this game. It's a nice change of pace from all of the strategy and action RPG's that are released nowadays. It's my favorite RPG that I feel I must try to beat it since Jade Cocoon 2, which I unfortunately couldn't beat after 60+ hours put in. I'm about 8 or 9 hours in at Peregrin Quay after beating Kalamari (took three tries) and then sailling from the port. I've got Jessica in my party now and my hero and Yangus are at lvl. 11. About how far, percentage-wise, would those of you that have beaten the game say I'm through so far?

[quote name='greendj27']That's where I am too, with almost the same levels. I think I need to level up more.[/QUOTE]

You know that if your party get wiped out by the 2nd boss of doulmagus, you don't have to fight the 1st boss again. You just lose half of your money, and return back to the church. So start again, and spend time leveling up in the dark ruins and fight the 2nd boss again. When angelo reach level 30, he learns multi-heal. With it, doulmagus is a piece of cake.

[quote name='postaboy']You know that if your party get wiped out by the 2nd boss of doulmagus, you don't have to fight the 1st boss again. You just lose half of your money, and return back to the church. So start again, and spend time leveling up in the dark ruins and fight the 2nd boss again. When angelo reach level 30, he learns multi-heal. With it, doulmagus is a piece of cake.[/QUOTE]

Yep, knew that but he was tough. I'm way past that part now. I'm close to the end of the game now.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I love this game. It's a nice change of pace from all of the strategy and action RPG's that are released nowadays. It's my favorite RPG that I feel I must try to beat it since Jade Cocoon 2, which I unfortunately couldn't beat after 60+ hours put in. I'm about 8 or 9 hours in at Peregrin Quay after beating Kalamari (took three tries) and then sailling from the port. I've got Jessica in my party now and my hero and Yangus are at lvl. 11. About how far, percentage-wise, would those of you that have beaten the game say I'm through so far?[/QUOTE]

Good news (if you like this game that is) - you have barely just begun :D. You are probably at about 10-15% done. I'm still not done myself at 75 hours, but I think I am very near the end (Black Citadel).

[quote name='io']Good news (if you like this game that is) - you have barely just begun :D. You are probably at about 10-15% done. I'm still not done myself at 75 hours, but I think I am very near the end (Black Citadel).[/QUOTE]
That's cool. I'm glad I'm not that far into it, as I don't want to find out I missed a bunch of stuff along the way just because I hurried around.

I'm messing around with the alchemy pot and I see what everyone's talking about with it taking so long. Though if you just run around for a few minutes, it's not so bad. I made super medecine and some chunky cheese. :)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's cool. I'm glad I'm not that far into it, as I don't want to find out I missed a bunch of stuff along the way just because I hurried around.

I'm messing around with the alchemy pot and I see what everyone's talking about with it taking so long. Though if you just run around for a few minutes, it's not so bad. I made super medecine and some chunky cheese. :)[/QUOTE]

I just made a Metal King Shield last night ("The ultimate shield"). Wish I could make 3 more for the other characters :D, but the ingredients are a bit rare. I spent a day/night cycle hunting metal slimes while it cooked.

[quote name='io']I just made a Metal King Shield last night ("The ultimate shield"). Wish I could make 3 more for the other characters :D, but the ingredients are a bit rare. I spent a day/night cycle hunting metal slimes while it cooked.[/QUOTE]

Alchemy tip:: Running counts while in town. Running in place in a corner by locking the controller into place and walking away saved me from going crazy, lol.

[quote name='greendj27']Alchemy tip:: Running counts while in town. Running in place in a corner by locking the controller into place and walking away saved me from going crazy, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did a little of that, but just gave up and decided I needed to power level a bit anyway, so I hunted metal slimes.

So I caved and started the game. I've since logged 30 hours in two days, and contemplated bringing my PS2 to work today. If you don't have time, you'll make time (for better or for worse). Did this miss Game of the Year deadlines? It's definately the most fun I've had since RE4.

On a side note, I haven't figured out how to defeat metal things yet. Do I need to figure it out myself or does it become revealed later on in the game and I'm just not "there" yet? I just got the ship, to let you know where I am.

[quote name='Vegan']So I caved and started the game. I've since logged 30 hours in two days, and contemplated bringing my PS2 to work today. If you don't have time, you'll make time (for better or for worse). Did this miss Game of the Year deadlines? It's definately the most fun I've had since RE4.

On a side note, I haven't figured out how to defeat metal things yet. Do I need to figure it out myself or does it become revealed later on in the game and I'm just not "there" yet? I just got the ship, to let you know where I am.[/QUOTE]

To defeat the metal slimes, it'll be much easier if you have "Metal Cut" which is learned through powering up your Swords technique (either the Hero or Angelo can learn it). And if you're lucky, you can land a critical hit with any character, which usually kills off the metal slimes (or King Metal Slime, once you're far enough into the game to encounter those) since they have low HP.

I defeated two King Metal Slimes last night with Angelo and Jessica. I just used their regular attacks and they ended up hitting criticals on the slime. Got me a hefty 30,010 experience points for each one. :)

I'm loving this game, but they could've cut back on the random battles a little bit. It takes me like 3 hours to even accomplish anything worth talking about because I have to fight every ten steps and then watch my party stand around after every fight. It really makes me not want to explore as much as I do and just try to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible.

I've put about 15-16 hours into the game so far and I'm only on the second continent still.

If you want to cut down on enemy encounters, you can use holy water to repel weaker monsters. Although, I would just rather fight for the experience since level grinding is one of the key points to progressing with this game.

Yes, as annoying as it is, you have to realize that need all the combat you can get. I usually only use monster-avoiding spells/items when I see an Arena Monster in the distance and I want to close in on him without interruptions.

[quote name='Socheata']To defeat the metal slimes, it'll be much easier if you have "Metal Cut" which is learned through powering up your Swords technique (either the Hero or Angelo can learn it). And if you're lucky, you can land a critical hit with any character, which usually kills off the metal slimes (or King Metal Slime, once you're far enough into the game to encounter those) since they have low HP.

I defeated two King Metal Slimes last night with Angelo and Jessica. I just used their regular attacks and they ended up hitting criticals on the slime. Got me a hefty 30,010 experience points for each one. :)[/QUOTE]

OoooooOOoo. My Hero has been using a boomerang and Angelo using a Bow & Arrow the entire game, so neither of them have any sword skills.

[quote name='Socheata']If you want to cut down on enemy encounters, you can use holy water to repel weaker monsters. Although, I would just rather fight for the experience since level grinding is one of the key points to progressing with this game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you really can't progress through the game very easily if you try to skip a lot of enemy encounters. I just wish they would have paced it a little better in that regards.

[quote name='Vegan']So I caved and started the game. I've since logged 30 hours in two days, and contemplated bringing my PS2 to work today. If you don't have time, you'll make time (for better or for worse). Did this miss Game of the Year deadlines? It's definately the most fun I've had since RE4.

On a side note, I haven't figured out how to defeat metal things yet. Do I need to figure it out myself or does it become revealed later on in the game and I'm just not "there" yet? I just got the ship, to let you know where I am.[/QUOTE]

Like Socheata already pointed out, the key is the metal cut. I try to kill the liquid metal slimes as they give you about 10,000 points but only have 6 HP themselves. I got lucky once and killed a metal king with a critical hit, but that is rare.

I have the Hero and Angelo use metal cut and usually get 2 HP with each. Then, if I'm lucky, the slime won't run on the next turn and I'll get him then. It works about half the time. I can also sometimes get a 1 HP hit with Yangus and Jessica (using a whip). And occasionally, Yangus with hit with a critical and do like 250-300 damage :D. I have Yangus using axes BTW. Of course, I have both Hero and Angelo maxed out at 100 sword skill and have the metal king sword for the Hero (and just picked up the Hell Sabre for Angelo).

I was finally able to win Rank S in the Monster Arena. I was at level 41 and paired up 2 bruisers with a healer. It took 3 tries, but in the successful attempt I had all 3 monsters still alive at the end. You get a nice piece of armor as a prize - it is definitely worth winning before setting off on the final battles.

Then I went on to what I THOUGHT was the final battle last night - in the Dark Citadel. I was wrong. It appears there is yet more game to go (plus I know there is a whole bonus dungeon after I FINALLY beat the baddie).

As for using Holy Water and the "Holy Protection" spell from the Hero - after I was several hours in I used these CONTINUOUSLY and it has not hampered my leveling up. They don't work when the monsters are strong anyway. But it really cuts out a lot of the hassle of backtracking and looking for chests to open out in the wild (especially after you get the keys). Perhaps I made up a bit for it too, by hunting liquid metal slimes later. Basically killing one of them is equivalent to 20 or so regular battles. But I just defeated the 1st Rhapthorne with very little problem at level 42, so I seem to be at a good level regardless. And like I said, I avoided hours upon hours of low level battling.

Is that Tortured Soul in the Ruined Abbey really beatable? I'm doubting after he keeps calling for backup after every time I take them down and I see no signs of getting close to beating him. Any suggested levels I should be at to have a good chance of beating him? I think I was at level 14 with Yangus and the hero and Jessica at level 13 and got my ass kicked, so I'm leveling up and exploring the area to gain some experience.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is that Tortured Soul in the Ruined Abbey really beatable? I'm doubting after he keeps calling for backup after every time I take them down and I see no signs of getting close to beating him. Any suggested levels I should be at to have a good chance of beating him? I think I was at level 14 with Yangus and the hero and Jessica at level 13 and got my ass kicked, so I'm leveling up and exploring the area to gain some experience.[/QUOTE]

I beat him the first time I faced him, but I can't remember my levels. If he keeps calling backup just ignore them and concentrate on him.

Yeah he was easy. I beat him on the first try, also.

For me, the boss fights in this game are contests of psyching up. And it's like gambling because you're standing there getting your ass kicked waiting to unleash your fury. And say whoever you're using for healing is one psych-up away from hypertension but someone's about to die; do you throw away the healer's tension that you've just spent building so that you can come in with a save? Or risk it, hoping that the person who's about to die might not get targeted the next round?

bread's done
Back