Official "Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King" Discussion

[quote name='Vegan']Yeah he was easy. I beat him on the first try, also.

For me, the boss fights in this game are contests of psyching up. And it's like gambling because you're standing there getting your ass kicked waiting to unleash your fury. And say whoever you're using for healing is one psych-up away from hypertension but someone's about to die; do you throw away the healer's tension that you've just spent building so that you can come in with a save? Or risk it, hoping that the person who's about to die might not get targeted the next round?[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:( I hardly ever psyche up since it's more of an opportunity to get killed quickly especially when he casts sizzle and takes off 20-30 HP of each character. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try when I go back to fight him.

I only Psyche up during boss battles. I don't think I could have beaten any of the bosses without Psyching. I never Psych up during random battles though.

[quote name='bil4ltool']I only Psyche up during boss battles. I don't think I could have beaten any of the bosses without Psyching. I never Psych up during random battles though.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same. I think you almost have to psyche up in the boss battles. Most of them I usually psyche up to about 20 since they have attacks that ca get rid of your tension if they hit you.

I psyched to 50 for a really long time before seeing what lies beyond. There's one more level past 50, if anyone's wondering.

[quote name='Vegan']I psyched to 50 for a really long time before seeing what lies beyond. There's one more level past 50, if anyone's wondering.[/QUOTE]

You can't get to that level after 50 until your characters are above level 20 I heard. ;)

I've only psyched up to 100 with the Hero. I never really bothered to try it with any other characters since I know the Hero goes all super saiyan-like (with purple-ish hair!). I was able to do 2,300+ damage on Evil Sir Leopold with one attack. :D

I didn't know when I could Psyche to 100 and since I only do it during boss battles I didn't want to run the risk of losing a turn, but I'll definitely give it a go.

[quote name='Socheata']I've only psyched up to 100 with the Hero. I never really bothered to try it with any other characters since I know the Hero goes all super saiyan-like (with purple-ish hair!). I was able to do 2,300+ damage on Evil Sir Leopold with one attack. :D[/QUOTE]

See, now I didn't think it was possible with him because it always failed for me, but I have done it with Yangus and Angelo. Go figure. Anyway, for most boss battles, you get "flashed" and lose you upgrades too often to even try for 50 or 100.

I just "completed" the game last night, only to find out there are at least 3-5 hours MORE to go, yet again! And by "completed", I mean credits and everything. I also had my first ever freeze-up in this otherwise wonderfully stable game. It happened right at the end after the credits and, fortunately, after it did my "star" save. After the save it showed the dream that leads you to the bonus dunbgeon, and then it went to a copyright page and just stayed there - did not go back to the title or load pages no matter what I did.

So I just reset and was able to load my new save, no problem. But apparently, even after you finish, you can go back to before the final battle, and do a whole 'nother dungeon/town area before taking on the big (and I mean BIG) baddie again. It was WAY too late for me to complete, but I got all of the goodies from the dungeon - VERY nice stuff by the way. And Yangus tells me there are 16 items within the new town. I will complete it (again) tonight.

Just a warning - before you set off on the final battle (the 2nd one with the main bad guy) be sure you have at least 2-3 hours because you will be treated to a VERY long set of cutscenes, and even some bits where you have to do things, after you defeat him - with no opportunity to save for quite a while.

Also, I was level 41 or 42 with all my chars and had little trouble with the final boss. Sure, he wore me down and Angelo was running low on MP from all the healing and resurrecting, but it seems I defeated him just in time. Didn't even need to call in the Monster team. I had also forgotten to put healing and MP restoring items in anyone's inventory - could have had an even easier time if I had. So you should be OK using Holy Protection to ward off the easier monsters while exploring - didn't seem to effect me too much in the end even though I missed some levelling.

I spent hours last night going back to every region I've been to on the Eastern continent and exploring every nook and cranny to get all the chest and monsters to be captured. After I was done, I discovered that I missed the Magic Key. Now I have to go back and do that all again, because I'm sure there's good stuff in those chests! Dammit!
I think I'll just use this as justification to peek at a guide, because I've BEEN to those chests, I just can't remember where they all were.

I did manage to beat Rank C last night, though.

I explored a couple islands and regions with really strong monsters on them, boy it helps being able to summon your monster team!!

So what happened to the limited edition guide? Several online stores list it but don't have it in stock, and I haven't seen it anywhere. I'm guessing it was canceled, but I wanted to check if anyone here has seen it, if it exists.

bought this game a couple weeks ago. just last week I started playing it.

I am enjoying this game a whole lot so far. Suprisingly the random battles don't really bother me, and I usually hate those. I like the art style, and the characters are all very likeable (even though I haven't recruited Angelo yet). I just finished up the Ascantha side quest. I'm about 15 1/2 hours in, my Hero and Yangus are about Level 19 and I believe Jessica is either at 16 or 17. Level grinding is surprisingly made fun in this game due to the skill points you distribute to your character. :)

Hopefully the game stays good within the next X hours.

[quote name='asianxcore']bought this game a couple weeks ago. just last week I started playing it.

I am enjoying this game a whole lot so far. Suprisingly the random battles don't really bother me, and I usually hate those. I like the art style, and the characters are all very likeable (even though I haven't recruited Angelo yet). I just finished up the Ascantha side quest. I'm about 15 1/2 hours in, my Hero and Yangus are about Level 19 and I believe Jessica is either at 16 or 17. Level grinding is surprisingly made fun in this game due to the skill points you distribute to your character. :)

Hopefully the game stays good within the next X hours.[/QUOTE]

You level up too much.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm at the very end of the game... how difficult will it be for me to finish at level 40?[/QUOTE]

Not very. I think I was exactly level 40, or perhaps 41, when I beat the last boss. Just make sure you find that Sorcerer's Stone!

when can I start using alchemy to make stronger weapons then ones I can buy? are the good items found (for alchemy) more near the last half of the game, than the beginning?

[quote name='asianxcore']when can I start using alchemy to make stronger weapons then ones I can buy? are the good items found (for alchemy) more near the last half of the game, than the beginning?[/QUOTE]

You find more towards the second half of the game, definitely. You're in Trodain Castle, right? You should start getting good stuff not too far from there.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']You find more towards the second half of the game, definitely. You're in Trodain Castle, right? You should start getting good stuff not too far from there.[/QUOTE]

very cool. thanks.

I love this game and I hate this game.

It's been a while since ps2 have a decent rpg in all aspect, good grahpics, interesting enough storyline... good amount of playing hours...

BUT why the hell do some of these battles last so long? they seriously need to implement those fast forward button tappin' feature so you can skip the damn "hero heal for xx hp" "jessica gained xx mp"... one by one for every single round.
Last night I encountered 8 of those black shadow thing at dark world. Each one of them cast those ice breath on me.... Tried FLEE 4 times and all failed. The whole battle last about 15 mins... and this is just a random encounter!

I am on my way to the hunting grounds outside Argonia, and so far in the game I've only encountered those really long fights a good handful of times. I know I'm still probably early in the game, and it'll get much worse later.

The only times I felt myself getting frustrated (thus far) were when I fight enemies that do a lot of damage and have someone on their team that can cast the spell that sacrifices them to bring back their entire party. That's annoying. Also when I first got the ship, I ran into a single Sea Dragon who did something to my party to where I couldn't do any damage to him for at least 10+ full turns. Then he would keep using Gigaflash.

This game rules by the way. :)

I beat the game a couple months ago but then I didn't complete the extra dungeon after you beat the game. I think I played so much I got burnt out. Am I missing alot?

62/63 hours into the game, and I am now just reaching the final boss. this game has been a blast so far :) I'll probably go at it again once I get home from work.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I hope you enjoy the ending! It's grand.[/QUOTE]

I just beat it maybe half an hour or so ago. Put about 65 hours total into it.

Awesome game. Can't say that enough. I haven't really liked an RPG in quite some time. Many were just too frustrating for me. Many tried to change way too many things and they lost me. I like the feel of this game. I know a lot of people have made comments about how the game is and how the battle system/combat was boring to them, but after all the time I put into it, I didn't find myself bored even once. I loved the art for the game. The voice acting was very enjoyable. Definitely can't say enough good things about this game. I hope in the future I run into more RPGs like this, maybe then they'll snag me a little more often :)

Can't wait to start the "trials" that I saw in another DQ thread.

[quote name='asianxcore']where is a good place to get easy gold? I want to upgrade a lot of my party's equipment.[/quote]

go to the island of neos and use yangus' whistle. keep using it and hope that the majority of the battles are against the gold brickman :D i was able to accumulate around $70,000 to upgrade all my weapons in less than one hour.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']go to the island of neos and use yangus' whistle. keep using it and hope that the majority of the battles are against the gold brickman :D i was able to accumulate around $70,000 to upgrade all my weapons in less than one hour.[/QUOTE]

awesome. thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that out sometime. how much gold do the gold brickmen usually drop?

[quote name='asianxcore']awesome. thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that out sometime. how much gold do the gold brickmen usually drop?[/quote]

iirc, they probably drop around 800 each. you'll usually fight two at a time, but up to five if you get lucky! i love it when you see a group of five b/c they're not that tough to beat and they'll give you around 4000! :shock:

it can be pretty tedious fighting the same enemies over and over again. luckily, i have the picture in picture option on my tv, and what i do is play the game to get money on the small screen while i watch tv on the big screen :cool:

i'll have to try that Goldman trick a little bit more. I tried it for a while and kept getting other enemies. Only got 3 Goldman's in maybe in 40 minutes time.

[quote name='asianxcore']i'll have to try that Goldman trick a little bit more. I tried it for a while and kept getting other enemies. Only got 3 Goldman's in maybe in 40 minutes time.[/quote]

WOW! that is really bad luck. um... did i mention they only come out during the day? :lol: my bad if you were trying to find them at night :cry:

I was trying to find them in the day so no harm done :)

I beat the Lord of the Dragovians the other day, and beat Rhapthorne again. Got the 2nd (alternate) ending. Was there supposed to be an option for me to save after the last part of the credits, or was I supposed to just naturally reset my PS2?

bread's done
Back