Official E3 2008 Thread

Reggie claims the Wii is not a fad. I'm inclined to believe it is, or so I hope. Besides SMG it's a giant turd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping for a new New Super Mario Bros. 2 (yes I know a pipe dream), new DS liter, new remote with the new add-on and something for the noncasuals (No GTA:Chinatown doesn't count.)

But I guess it doesn't matter too much for Nintendo at this point because Nintendo hardware flys off the shelf even in the spring/summer.

[quote name='Strell']Wii Music would be cool if I had my own pubic access channel based on music, wore ripped jeans, and had my buddy Garth to back me up.[/QUOTE]

Everything would be better with pubic access channels.

GTA DS:

126471_full.jpg

[quote name='mrn111']I just don't get this WiiMotionPlus thingy. Like nintendo said we fucked up the wiimote out the door and here is the fix.[/quote] qft good lord how the hell did this happen. Nintendo just pulled a sony and showed us that they really dont give a fuck about the core gamers.

That GTA screenshot looks horrible. I might actually like it if they went back to GTA2 and put something like that on the DS. Otherwise, I'll stick to the PSP for handheld GTA games.

Is it more or does Reggie seem happier addressing the audience (the public) about how nobody believed in the Wii/DS and how everybody was wrong and about how many units their selling.

Ok Reg, we get it!!!

Yikes, like so many others have said, that was pretty disappointing. I was waiting for some more 1st party software/hardware announcements, but they never came.

Nintendo sure does know how to put together some charts though.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']G4
Reggie: How can the hardcore gamer feel left out with titles like animal crossing and gta on ds.[/quote]

That's why I said I don't think Animal Crossing is a hardcore gamer type of game.

I was actually waiting for the Kid Icarus / Punch-Out announcement. It seemed like they were building up to something big, but Wii Music is not my cup of tea. Nothing they revealed today appealed to me at all.

Whoever that woman was, she should go back to teaching elementary school, they could use her 'smiling face' there with the Alphabet people.

I am shocked. Since they began broadcasting the Nintendo conference online, I've watched it in anticipation that something good will happen. I've never been disappointed like this. Its a damn shame for Nintendo to have such a backlog of IP's and not to throw us a bone. Oh well, at least I have my Xbox 360 and PS3 to fall back on for the rest of the year.....

[quote name='dmunkee']

Nintendo sure does know how to put together some charts though.[/quote]

QFT, if they put as much time into games as they did those damn charts we would be happy right now.

It'sMagneto;4617592 said:
Reggie claims the Wii is not a fad. I'm inclined to believe it is, or so I hope. Besides SMG it's a giant turd.

I dont think the Wii was a fad. However was is the key word there. The Wii was not one but Nintendo has made it one. I think that the guy at Kotaku at the recent game trailers bonus round hit it dead on when he said that the Wiis sales have become driven by add ons. Its not games that are driving the system its the silly ass steering wheels, balance boards, motion + and wii zappers. The Wii had potential and it could have been amazing....but Nintendo bought their own hype and completely went the wrong way.

You can't expect developers to support your system when your not putting out games that fully utilize its abilities. And all these add ons just make it very difficult for developers. If they release a game they have to question which add ons people want and use.

I dont understand too why people are so down on MS's press conference. They may not have blown our minds but stealing FFXIII exclusivity away from Sony and a price drop alone was enough to make it an average year.

I'm discussing this in various outlets, and the first thing that keeps popping into my head is, "What the fuck, Nintendo?! What the fuck?!" :nottalking:

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']That's why I said I don't think Animal Crossing is a hardcore gamer type of game.[/quote]

yeah, i was just posting what he said for those not watching g4

[quote name='MSI Magus']I dont think the Wii was a fad. However was is the key word there. The Wii was not one but Nintendo has made it one. I think that the guy at Kotaku at the recent game trailers bonus round hit it dead on when he said that the Wiis sales have become driven by add ons. Its not games that are driving the system its the silly ass steering wheels, balance boards, motion + and wii zappers. The Wii had potential and it could have been amazing....but Nintendo bought their own hype and completely went the wrong way.
[/quote]

Yeah it was Brian Crecente of Kotaku that said that. I have to agree right now more then ever.

Nintendo needs to request that camera not be present next year for their show. Also, they might want to hold it on a planet where somebody cares.

So, it's Animal Crossing on Wii with a mic, GTA on DS...and the new thing next year, so no one cares about that. They could've talked about more games we knew about like Chrono Trigger, Wario Land, and I am damned surprised that Mega Man 9 didn't rear its' head.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']QFT, if they put as much time into games as they did those damn charts we would be happy right now.[/QUOTE]

See it seems like Nintendo forgot the games were what made them. In the past even though they wernt in first place and couldnt shock and awe people they produced the goods. Seriously, its like in the past they came to the pretty kids party as the fat kid and unzipped their pants producing a 10 inch wang. Now after some plastic surgery and popularity they have forgotten the power in their pants :)

Just announce some good freaking games and keep updating your system to meet standards like voice chat and people would be happy!

Also, what would have been really nice would be at least a small mention of Virtual Console or Wiiware news, but nothing.

I love my 360 and, well, I have a wii. But, I'm kind of hoping for a reason to drop the cash on a ps3. I hope sony can pull something out for us (yeah, home and mgs4 arent a system seller for me).

[quote name='MSI Magus']See it seems like Nintendo forgot the games were what made them. In the past even though they wernt in first place and couldnt shock and awe people they produced the goods. Seriously, its like in the past they came to the pretty kids party as the fat kid and unzipped their pants producing a 10 inch wang. Now after some plastic surgery and popularity they have forgotten the power in their pants :)

Just announce some good freaking games and keep updating your system to meet standards like voice chat and people would be happy![/quote]

Could you of described that any better?:applause:

What was the point of announcing WiiMotion+ yesterday? They really should have saved it for today after that lack luster conference.

I betcha Sony is loving this...

[quote name='MSI Magus']I dont think the Wii was a fad. However was is the key word there. The Wii was not one but Nintendo has made it one. I think that the guy at Kotaku at the recent game trailers bonus round hit it dead on when he said that the Wiis sales have become driven by add ons. Its not games that are driving the system its the silly ass steering wheels, balance boards, motion + and wii zappers. The Wii had potential and it could have been amazing....but Nintendo bought their own hype and completely went the wrong way.

You can't expect developers to support your system when your not putting out games that fully utilize its abilities. And all these add ons just make it very difficult for developers. If they release a game they have to question which add ons people want and use.

[/quote]

I totally agree that the Wii had potential. I even defended it when people were downing the concept when it was introduced while I was still a big Nintendo fanboy. I really don't want to remember Nintendo for this, it's not why I've been buying their consoles and handhelds for all this time.

Any guesses what we see from Sony? Seems alot of people think this is Sonys show to steal but I really dont see it happening. I bet we see Home, Little Big Planet, reaffirmation the they are supporting the PSP(possibly though small possibilty that we see an updated PSP) and we see GoW3 and Killzone 2.

[/QUOTE]

Wii is the ultimate toy, their isn't a 8-12 year old that doesn't have one or that isn't bugging their parents everyday for one. I know the toy factor is a dead horse but it is true IMHO. Nintendo isn't trying to get us 17-35 year old men to buy like MS and Sony but Nintendo is wanting Moms to buy for their kids and Nintendo gives Moms reasons to buy them. I don't know of a kid that doesn't have one, do you? I'm not knocking Nintendo for this but I think that once the kids are into the next Hula hoop Nintendo will go back to us core gamers but until then they are going to milk every mom out there for every dime she is willing to spend.

It'sMagneto;4617765]I totally agree that the Wii had potential. I even defended it when people were doing the concept when it was introduced while I was still a big Nintendo fanboy. I really don't want to remember Nintendo for this said:
Same here. Im a big Nintendo fan and when the system came out I defended it and STILL think it could have been more then a fad. Nintendo just fucked up royally.

IMO, Nintendo seems to be caring less and less about their hardcore audience, and I can't fault them for it - the money they are making comes from the extension of their hardware, and the new audience that they have built (and continue to build).

So of course nothing they presented really shocked us (with one or two exceptions); they aren't playing that game. That sort of game is strictly between Microsoft and Sony now; Nintendo is gobbling up all the customers turned off or uninterested by the Halo's and God of War's, and making a shit load of money doing so.

After last year's press conference, I came into this one believing that it would be severely underwhelming. And it was. But I know, if I show this to my girlfriend and her family - who are casual gamers that enjoy their Wii for Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc - they'll have a lot of genuine interest for Wii Music, Wii Sports 2, and Animal Crossing. To them, the other press conferences would probably be boring.

Such an upside-down world, I know, but it works for Nintendo, and they'll keep at it so long as it does.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Any guesses what we see from Sony? Seems alot of people think this is Sonys show to steal but I really dont see it happening. I bet we see Home, Little Big Planet, reaffirmation the they are supporting the PSP(possibly though small possibilty that we see an updated PSP) and we see GoW3 and Killzone 2.[/QUOTE]

God of War 3 alone will win Sony 2nd place this year. I don't see them getting 1st.

Its easy to have a bad e3 conference, but it takes lots of skill to drop the ball as hard as nintendo did. Way worse than 2007, at least 07 showed mario and smash bros.

[quote name='spoo']Wii is the ultimate toy, their isn't a 8-12 year old that doesn't have one or that isn't bugging their parents everyday for one. I know the toy factor is a dead horse but it is true IMHO. Nintendo isn't trying to get us 17-35 year old men to buy like MS and Sony but Nintendo is wanting Moms to buy for their kids and Nintendo gives Moms reasons to buy them. I don't know of a kid that doesn't have one? I'm not knocking Nintendo for this but I think that once the kids are into the next hoolahoop Nintendo will go back to us core gamers but until then they are going to milk every mom out there for every dime she is willing to spend.[/QUOTE]

Again agreed. All my little bro wanted last Christmas was a Wii(hes 8)and my mom could not find it nor afford it(she actually asked me to try and use CAGer, Craigslist and other methods I use to find it on the cheap LOL!). Thankfully I talked her into a Gamecube vs some other stupid thing on his list and he ended up with it and like 15 great games and it only cost her like $80$100! Now this year suprise suprise all he wants is a Wii. Iv been trying to pimp the PS2 to my mom but she insits that because he wants it even if she has to pay $300 she will get him one.

What I expect out of Sony is this:

-Mention of this Ratchet PS3 project that is rated already
-LittleBigPlanet and Home Beta dates plus release dates
-Killzone 2 release date plus beta date
-Uncharted 2 announced/Jak game announced

[quote name='Ricochet']IMO, Nintendo seems to be caring less and less about their hardcore audience[/quote]
I want someone to answer the following question:

How has Nintendo's first party core offerings changed in the slightest over the past 20 years?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']What was the point of announcing WiiMotion+ yesterday? They really should have saved it for today after that lack luster conference.

I betcha Sony is loving this...[/QUOTE]

Nintendo was banking that MS was bringing out a motion controller. If you listen to the speech at the end of the conference, "Wii is not just a fad... ....Imitation was just around the corner" it was written as if MS announced their own Xiimote.

[quote name='Ricochet']IMO, Nintendo seems to be caring less and less about their hardcore audience, and I can't fault them for it - the money they are making comes from the extension of their hardware, and the new audience that they have built (and continue to build).

So of course nothing they presented really shocked us (with one or two exceptions); they aren't playing that game. That sort of game is strictly between Microsoft and Sony now; Nintendo is gobbling up all the customers turned off or uninterested by the Halo's and God of War's, and making a shit load of money doing so.

After last year's press conference, I came into this one believing that it would be severely underwhelming. And it was. But I know, if I show this to my girlfriend and her family - who are casual gamers that enjoy their Wii for Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc - they'll have a lot of genuine interest for Wii Music, Wii Sports 2, and Animal Crossing. To them, the other press conferences would probably be boring.

Such an upside-down world, I know, but it works for Nintendo, and they'll keep at it so long as it does.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that it would be better for them to focus on that mainstream market thats making them money. However how long do you think that will last with their current stratagy? Dont you think people are going to get sick of paying $50-$100 every few months for some new add on that everyone in the family is bored with within a month? I cant tell you how many people I saw grab a gamecube last generation for their kids at gamestop because of how much cheaper it was then the PS2. They could buy it and a bunch of games for the prices of the other systems. All these add ons are in the long run going to come and bite them on the ass.

[quote name='hufferstl']Sony could re-show the LittleBigPlanet stuff from last year and beat both Nintendo and Microsoft's keynotes.[/QUOTE]

I like how people are getting more asinine as the final press conference draws nearer. Right before Kaz or whoever takes the stage, I expect some moron to post that they could just show the Killzone 1 trailer and "win E3."

bread's done
Back