Official Final Fantasy IV DS thread: play the greatness.

I JUST died in the Waterfall cave, and I forgot to save!!! :cry:
All the progress I made today... LOST! :'(

I totally forgot to save, it's my fault... but still! :bomb:

Yeah, CC.com emailed me that SE didn't get them the game as promised, and they can't ship just yet. Oh well, I guess I'll have to work on finishing FF3. :)

[quote name='Zing']This was definitely my favorite Final Fantasy. I still get sad thinking about the twins.

Although I am not sure I am craving to play it on the DS. Wasn't this just released on the GBA? What advantage does the touch or dual screen offer? A remake of a remake? Geez. Although, I do wish they would go back and redo the first game like this.

How does this compare in production quality to Final Fantasy 3 DS?[/QUOTE]

palom and porom, how they sacrificed so... I am not gonna cry but this game makes me sad at times :(

graphics look just like FF3

since i already own FF 4 (also 5 and 6) On the gameboy advance.... there is no way in hell im paying 40 bucks for a remake

did rent this off gamefly today (hope to have it by saturday)

i might rent and play but i will never buy it till it falls to 9.99 a round thanksgiving just like FF 3 did

[quote name='jennie25']palom and porom, how they sacrificed so... I am not gonna cry but this game makes me sad at times :([/quote]
You don't remember the end of the game, do you?

[quote name='defiance_17']I honestly think X had the worst characters of any FF game, and arguably the worst story, too. In contrast, I'd say FFIV has some of the best characters of any video game ever. Not liking FFX doesn't necessarily mean you won't like FFIV.[/quote]

Totally agree with this. My devotion to J-RPGs was already waning by the time FFX rolled around but that game was the straw that broke the camel's back. The 16-bit FFs are the pinnacle of the series.

I was at my local game store today and witnessed them cracking open the freshly delivered UPS box containing this game. I decided not to even ask their price since I would probably have impulse bought it. I assume it is $40 or more.

[quote name='slidecage']
i might rent and play but i will never buy it till it falls to 9.99 a round thanksgiving just like FF 3 did[/quote]

You must mean next thanksgiving. There's no way it'll drop that low this year.

[quote name='Zing']I was at my local game store today and witnessed them cracking open the freshly delivered UPS box containing this game. I decided not to even ask their price since I would probably have impulse bought it. I assume it is $40 or more.[/quote]

Yeah, it's $40.

Anyone else finding the difficulty in this game a beast? I'm not complaining, it gives me something to do, but my god.

I do like the Eidolon and all the mini games that come with it. This game is well worth the shelf tag, even though I've beaten all the incarnations so far. It'll be interesting to see the end of the game with the difficulty ramped up, given that I can't rearrange my team with everyone like I could in the GBA version.. I'm also dreading fighting the magnus sisters..

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='laaj']You must mean next thanksgiving. There's no way it'll drop that low this year.[/QUOTE]

i think FF 3 fell to 10 bucks the same year it came out or 19.99 one or the other

Placed a couple of hours into the game so far. I have a level a bit since the water cave was kicking my ass and Rydia and dieing all the time. About towards the end of the water cave now and so far everything about this game is amazing. It brings back a ton of old memories. I heart it :D

I'm about 6.5 hrs into the game so far, just got to
Baron and am about to find Cid
. Not as hard as everyone is saying it is but very enjoyable.

[quote name='62t']FF3 dropped to $19.99 during one of the holiday sale at TRU the year it came out[/quote]Yeah, that was an amazing, one-day sale. People who missed it were kicking themselves.

[quote name='Moxio']I'm about 6.5 hrs into the game so far, just got to
Baron and am about to find Cid
. Not as hard as everyone is saying it is but very enjoyable.[/quote]

Thats weird. i'm about 6.7 hours in and I'm still on the mountain becoming a
paladin

5.5 hours in and just at mount hobs... same mt stinkycheese? I'm finding it not as hard as others have said too.. Though maybe I've leveled up higher than what I'm suppose to be at.. my parties levels are
22-cecil/22-rydia/17-edward/15-Rosa not sure if whose in the party is technically a spoiler but just incase
I'm enjoying the game very much. I hope the Old guy comes back, the voice acting is great.... Edwards... not so much.

Couldn't find a copy at CC yesterday. I guess I have to wait for the holidays again and hope for the best.

Meanwhile, I'll go back to my FFTA2.

If you order from circuitcity.com shipping is free and you get an emailed gift card. I did that Sunday and my game shipped today. Not as fast as finding it in the store but quicker than waiting and hoping for a deal in a few months.

If you order from circuitcity.com shipping is free and you get an emailed gift card. I did that Sunday and my game shipped today. Not as fast as finding it in the store but quicker than waiting and hoping for a deal in a few months.

I love how the song playlist not only gives song descriuptions, but advertises too. check out the chocobo chocobo theme. It says 'they're probabl6y of in some dungeon' :lol:

Finally reached baron, where moxio was at, at 8-something hours. Embarrasing...

Is it sad to want the airship just so I can fill in the map? i bet Moxio is lying. Hes still figuring out which slot the game goes into :cool:

This game is absolutely amazing.

Wanna know a secret?

I got FF2 (SNES) for my sixth birthday, played the hell out of it for two years, never beat it. :oops:

FF2 was actually a big part of me learning to read -- FF2 + Nintendo Power was my primary reading practice, outside of school.

But yeah... I totally haven't played this in ~15 years, so the story is only vaguely familiar. I'm loving it. I'm loving it hard.

Well picked it up today at GS since I had a giftcard that bought it down to bascially 20 dollars, and now playing the hell out of it lol. Had a d'oh moment when after getting Rydia and trying to find that village in the middle of the desert I just went straight into the caves and from that point was murdered by the mobs.

You would think I would have found it, but I was walking around on the edges of the world area. Other than that it's all good.

Anyone have tips for defeating Cagnazzo? His Tsunami thing wiped out my entire party except for Cecil. I'm going to grind the sewers for now.

Also, the music is so good! The music from Mysidia sounds like music from somewhere in FFIX but I can't think of where. EDIT: I think its Vivi's theme :)

This 'un is definitely going to be harder than the previous iterations of the game.

I had one of those jellyfish lookin' fuckers in the Underground Waterway use reraise on three allies after I hit them with a thunder spell.

Like fuckin' 2-3 hours into the game, and they're throwin' out reraise!?!?!

Sweet.

[quote name='Jest']Anyone have tips for defeating Cagnazzo? His Tsunami thing wiped out my entire party except for Cecil. I'm going to grind the sewers for now.[/quote]

When he
is surrounded by water, cast thunder on him to get rid of it.

Man, I died last night trying to do something stupid in the back to back boss fight against
Golbez and the dolls before him
about ten hours into the game.

I think the map and graphics update make the secrets less secretive. The passages are easier to see, and when your map's only at like 70% you know there's a hidden area... that part's sort of lame.

Everything else is awesome.

[quote name='Draekon']Man, I died last night trying to do something stupid in the back to back boss fight against
Golbez and the dolls before him
about ten hours into the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got burned during the second part of that gauntlet. Didn't revive and heal fast enough. Hope no one valuable gets hit with Osmose.

Some changes I've noticed thus far:
- Cecil has been given some additional spells. I've noticed Protect and Shell so far.
- They jacked up the MP cost of the Mist Dragon to 35 and lowered Titan to 30 for Rydia
- The options for Bardsong as you character levels up actually become useful. At level 38, a character will get Hastemarch, which boosts the speed of all other characters while the song is being used.

Trying to decide how to assign Augments at this point, since the final party is nearly formed. Tellah's Fast Talk augment will be nice for
Rydia!

[quote name='Koggit']I think the map and graphics update make the secrets less secretive. The passages are easier to see, and when your map's only at like 70% you know there's a hidden area... that part's sort of lame.

Everything else is awesome.[/QUOTE]

there are still secret areas in castles/towns

Gotta love Circuit City.

I go in last night around 8 p.m. after work and look around a bit, find 1 of 2 copies of FF IV left and go to the checkout. Only 1 register open (customer service full of people doing returns) and the clueless cashier had no clue on how to do the free giftcard (if the screen hadn't prompted I would of had to raise holy hell for it.)

She tries to find how to do it on the POS terminal, no clue. Buzzes for help, none available. Line of 6 other customers have formed behind me. She starts messing with the POS system, and she rings me out for 29.99 plus tax. I ask if there is $10 of the gift card and she says yes. It also shows up on the receipt.

So I got FF IV for $30, plus the $10 gift card which I'm using tonight to get the 3 Doors Down CD that's on sale for $10 since they don't have the new Video Games Live CD. Pretty sweet deal thanks to the messup.

Drak Elf cave just as much a pain as it used to be. Is it just me, or is Cecils magic horrible? It doesent heal half as much as Telllahs

[quote name='StinkyCheese']Drak Elf cave just as much a pain as it used to be. Is it just me, or is Cecils magic horrible? It doesent heal half as much as Telllahs[/quote]

White Magic gets a boost from the Spirit Stat just like Black Magic does from Intelligence. Since Tellah is like god knows how old, they decided to give him inflated stats to cover for his lack of MP which is forever stuck at 90. He (Cecil) is pretty much more of a backup healer than a primary. Plus the first spell I remember on Tellah's list was Cura and note Cure, which I had mistaken it for some time. So that may also be part of the reason if you're not watching carefully enough.

Well, I just got to the Tower of Zot, where Tellah
kicks the bucket. :whistle2:?
. Now that I have
Kain and Rosa back in the party
, time to go to
the underworld!

(so many spoilers...)

[quote name='MSUHitman']Gotta love Circuit City.

I go in last night around 8 p.m. after work and look around a bit, find 1 of 2 copies of FF IV left and go to the checkout. Only 1 register open (customer service full of people doing returns) and the clueless cashier had no clue on how to do the free giftcard (if the screen hadn't prompted I would of had to raise holy hell for it.)

She tries to find how to do it on the POS terminal, no clue. Buzzes for help, none available. Line of 6 other customers have formed behind me. She starts messing with the POS system, and she rings me out for 29.99 plus tax. I ask if there is $10 of the gift card and she says yes. It also shows up on the receipt.

So I got FF IV for $30, plus the $10 gift card which I'm using tonight to get the 3 Doors Down CD that's on sale for $10 since they don't have the new Video Games Live CD. Pretty sweet deal thanks to the messup.[/quote]

That is what happens when it's around closing time, and everyone is just butt tired from everything.

[quote name='Draekon']White Magic gets a boost from the Spirit Stat just like Black Magic does from Intelligence. Since Tellah is like god knows how old, they decided to give him inflated stats to cover for his lack of MP which is forever stuck at 90. He (Cecil) is pretty much more of a backup healer than a primary. Plus the first spell I remember on Tellah's list was Cura and note Cure, which I had mistaken it for some time. So that may also be part of the reason if you're not watching carefully enough.[/quote]

I'm taking into account of their cura, not cure. I actually never use him as a healer, but in the dark elf cave, he becomes pretty much useless.

On a side note, Tellah sounds excactly like Grandpa from the Rugrats in the cutscenes

[quote name='mykevermin']This 'un is definitely going to be harder than the previous iterations of the game.

I had one of those jellyfish lookin' fuckers in the Underground Waterway use reraise on three allies after I hit them with a thunder spell.

Like fuckin' 2-3 hours into the game, and they're throwin' out reraise!?!?!

Sweet.[/QUOTE]

On another note, it took me 4-5 tries to beat Scarmiglione. Jesus.

[quote name='mykevermin']On another note, it took me 4-5 tries to beat Scarmiglione. Jesus.[/QUOTE]
Really? I don't think the game is anywhere near as hard as people are saying.

Speaking of Scarmiglione, because of that Hyadain video I can't hear the 4 Lords' boss music without hearing them singing the lyrics...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vz186pjY0[/media]

What was the trouble with Scarmiglione? I just did two twincasts, each cast doing ~2,700.

I agree that the game is much easier than its rep. My only death so far was to Mom Bomb, I was cocky and didn't defend, instant game over.

Since I have not played FFII in 12 years...I was a little uneasy about playing it again since it apparently got its difficulty ramped up. However, I'm now 6.5 hours in and back in the town of Baron and its not really that hard at all.

uhh. I just made paladin, which is cool. but, I spent a few hours grinding up the twins and Cecil and now Cecil is a wimp again =\ .

bread's done
Back