Official Final Fantasy IV DS thread: play the greatness.

banpeikun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (100%)
Okay, Final Fantasy IV fans!! Let's hear it for the greatest Final Fantasy of the greatest era of console RPGs. If you don't agree, you needn't post in this thread.

There are mere HOURS LEFT before this game comes out!! Who else is getting this day one?

Here's the intro FMV:
[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35763.html[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a side-by-side comparison (SNES and DS) that really brings back all those great memories:
[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35773.html[/media]

I'll be getting it when it comes out. I used to own the GBA version and never made it past the first 2-3 hrs. It wasn't a bad game, but I got that game when tons of DS games were coming out, so got distracted :) This seems to be the definite FFIV version and can't wait to pick my copy up.

I got to the underground part on the GBA version, but got busy and put it down. Definately looking forward to this DS version. $10 GC with purchase at CC next week in case you missed it.

I've never played it, so the lack of additional content isn't a problem for me. I must admit, though, that I tried to play FFX on the PS2 and couldn't get into it, so I'm not sure if FFIV will be for me either. That game was a bore. I didn't find the story interesting, indeed pretty dumb, so it just made the game slower and it was already slow playing. However, I might have more patience for a DS FF game since I'd be playing it while on the bus/train, where I've got nothing better to do. :)

I personally think the story for FFIV/FFVI is better than the newer ones, but I haven't actually played FFX, so take that with a grain of salt. Then again, this is the FFIV thread, so bold statements are welcome here!!

While IV isn't my favorite in the series, it comes pretty close in second place behind VI.

I don't know if I'll be getting this when it comes out due to the Squeenix tax, but I will certainly pick it up at some point once it reaches the $15-$20 mark.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']While IV isn't my favorite in the series, it comes pretty close in second place behind VI.

I don't know if I'll be getting this when it comes out due to the Squeenix tax, but I will certainly pick it up at some point once it reaches the $15-$20 mark.[/quote]

Haha, the Squ-enix tax. :)

I think I'm in a similar boat. I don't feel much like repurchasing a game I beat only three years ago on the GBA.

That would put me outside of Squ-enix's target audience. ;)

From most of the reviews I read this game is going to be "hard". :whee: I hope that's true since FF3 DS was so easy.

Sweet! Is there an ad or something I have to take to CC to get the $10 GC?

[quote name='banpeikun']I got to the underground part on the GBA version, but got busy and put it down. Definately looking forward to this DS version. $10 GC with purchase at CC next week in case you missed it.[/quote]

It should be advertised in the CC Sunday circular, and if the employee doesn't give it to you automatically, all you should have to do is to let them know you want the gift card.

As much as I need an RPG for my DS, I'll wait until it drops in price. Asking $40 for a portable game (and a remake, no less) is just too much.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've never played it, so the lack of additional content isn't a problem for me. I must admit, though, that I tried to play FFX on the PS2 and couldn't get into it, so I'm not sure if FFIV will be for me either. That game was a bore. I didn't find the story interesting, indeed pretty dumb, so it just made the game slower and it was already slow playing. However, I might have more patience for a DS FF game since I'd be playing it while on the bus/train, where I've got nothing better to do. :)[/quote]
I honestly think X had the worst characters of any FF game, and arguably the worst story, too. In contrast, I'd say FFIV has some of the best characters of any video game ever. Not liking FFX doesn't necessarily mean you won't like FFIV.

I've played 4 at least once a year since it was released as 2 on snes. In the first few years it was much more than once a year, but as i've gotten older, I still take my time out once a year in June to play through it. This year I delayed it for this release and i will have it the first moment i can when it ships.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']OMG!!! Tomorrow it's out! :whee:[/quote]

Tomorrow? All GameCrazy stores got it this morning. I picked it up earlier.

While I do like the black case with the silver logo, both the instruction book and ds cart art are designed to look like the original cover, which kinda sucks.. oh well.

[quote name='Scorch']Tomorrow? All GameCrazy stores got it this morning. I picked it up earlier.

While I do like the black case with the silver logo, both the instruction book and ds cart art are designed to look like the original cover, which kinda sucks.. oh well.[/quote]if you post pictures, you'll be elite

i ordered from CC today for the $10 GC deal. It'll get here whenever it does. I'm excited, but also super busy.

Job hunting bites the big one.

I've made it up to the Mist Dragon in the first cave (a whole like, what, 30 minutes into the game?) and thought I'd post some impressions, both good and bad. I didn't play the FF3 remake, so I don't know if these changes were also in that one or not.

- The voice acting is good. It's a lot better than I thought it would be.
- The difficulty hasn't just been raised, it's been ramped. In the cave, instead of fighting a rat and maybe two snakes, you now fight four snakes and two rats. It's pretty overwhelming, but luckily you level up fairly often. Potions are pretty hard to come across, so use them sparingly, which brings me to..
- Using potions in the battles is awesome. After you select the potion, you see little HP bars above your party's head, letting you know how far off from their max HP they are. It's a welcome addition, but it's almost an almost facepalm-obvious inclusion and I don't know how I survived without it before.
- The battle speed, by default, is way too slow. Thank god you can change it. I set mine to 2.
- The item menu at the bottom, during battles, tells you what the item does. I don't think it was like this in other versions. You either knew what the item did or you didn't. This is invaluable when you are trying to heal a sickness or something and you don't know what to use.. I can't tell you how many wasted items I used trying to heal random illnesses during battles before.

Overall, I am enjoying this version much more than any other version.

Mmm. I love that CC is giving a $10 gft card when you get this the first week. I think CC did this with TWEWY too. Looks like CC is combating the SE tax. :)

[quote name='Scorch']
- The difficulty hasn't just been raised, it's been ramped. In the cave, instead of fighting a rat and maybe two snakes, you now fight four snakes and two rats. It's pretty overwhelming, but luckily you level up fairly often. Potions are pretty hard to come across, so use them sparingly[/quote]

I was going to wait until this hits low $20s or lower but everything you said is tempting me to take CC offer. Low numbers of potions won't affect me since I play as pack rat. Saving all the items during the game for the last boss and not selling any of my old equipment.

[quote name='laaj']I was going to wait until this hits low $20s or lower but everything you said is tempting me to take CC offer. Low numbers of potions won't affect me since I play as pack rat. Saving all the items during the game for the last boss and not selling any of my old equipment.[/quote]

If you even remotely like the game, it's worth it. It's the same game you know and love, just.. challenging. And that's kinda staggering, because on every version I have played (SNES, PS1, GBA), I just tear through it.. I almost died three times in the mystic cave.. I'm embarassed for that. I did beat the dragon on the first try, but I walked out with like 30hp.

Well I just ordered it off of Amazon (there's no CC near me).

This was the first Final Fantasy that I ever played... and probably the best of them all. Playing Final Fantasy III on DS was nice and all, but it simply made me long for the crazy plot of FFIV.

[quote name='Scorch']I've made it up to the Mist Dragon in the first cave (a whole like, what, 30 minutes into the game?) and thought I'd post some impressions, both good and bad. I didn't play the FF3 remake, so I don't know if these changes were also in that one or not.

- The voice acting is good. It's a lot better than I thought it would be.
- The difficulty hasn't just been raised, it's been ramped. In the cave, instead of fighting a rat and maybe two snakes, you now fight four snakes and two rats. It's pretty overwhelming, but luckily you level up fairly often. Potions are pretty hard to come across, so use them sparingly, which brings me to..
- Using potions in the battles is awesome. After you select the potion, you see little HP bars above your party's head, letting you know how far off from their max HP they are. It's a welcome addition, but it's almost an almost facepalm-obvious inclusion and I don't know how I survived without it before.
- The battle speed, by default, is way too slow. Thank god you can change it. I set mine to 2.
- The item menu at the bottom, during battles, tells you what the item does. I don't think it was like this in other versions. You either knew what the item did or you didn't. This is invaluable when you are trying to heal a sickness or something and you don't know what to use.. I can't tell you how many wasted items I used trying to heal random illnesses during battles before.

Overall, I am enjoying this version much more than any other version.[/QUOTE]

I only time in this game that my dialog/battle speed got changed (and will probably will remain true in this game) is when you have to fight that moving wall in the cave you can't use metallic weapons. God I can't wait for that pain in my ass! Fighting the magus sister's will also be a why me point too!

This is my favorite final fantasy though and I can't wait to get my hands on this

I may get a DS just for this game (and my backlog of DS games from sales). FF IV was the first FF game I played back on the SNES and not only is it my favorite FF game, its my favorite game period. Glad to see the difficulty raised for this version. Thanks for all the early impressions!!!

I have to wait until tomorrow, but I am def looking forward to this. One of the best games of all time, storywise, its in the same vein as VI, VII, IX, XII. They all have similiar themes.

Got it this morning, but unfortanutely left my charger at work =\ owell. Probably won't play until I go back to work anyway.

I just picked it up from Gamestop, I am still admiring it in the plastic, I love the cover cause it represents Cecil as the Dark Knight and theme very well :)

Ridiculous all the stores around my area are not getting, or should I say "start selling", the game until tomorrow. Either way I'm still stopping by CC to get it and the 10 dollar card to wooo.

This was definitely my favorite Final Fantasy. I still get sad thinking about the twins.

Although I am not sure I am craving to play it on the DS. Wasn't this just released on the GBA? What advantage does the touch or dual screen offer? A remake of a remake? Geez. Although, I do wish they would go back and redo the first game like this.

How does this compare in production quality to Final Fantasy 3 DS?

[quote name='Zing']This was definitely my favorite Final Fantasy. I still get sad thinking about the twins.

Although I am not sure I am craving to play it on the DS. Wasn't this just released on the GBA? What advantage does the touch or dual screen offer? A remake of a remake? Geez. Although, I do wish they would go back and redo the first game like this.

How does this compare in production quality to Final Fantasy 3 DS?[/QUOTE]

I just got it earlier and I popped it in for a sec. The graphics look off the hook for a DS game. I think it looks way better/cleaner then 3.

I can't wait to play this. I'll be a passenger on a 12 road trip to NH and I'll be playing FFIV most of the time :cool:

Put about 3 hours in so far, and I am damn impressed. Music is great and brings back memories, graphics look good, and the voice-acting has been very good so far.

Challenge definitely seems a bit higher than before. The first room in the waterfall cave was torture until Rydia leveled up a bit more.

Also, here is a guide on how to get the augments in the game.

bread's done
Back