Official Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

This is collecting dust on my shelf...only reason I bought it was for the steelbook case (LE). This game/series continues to fail to impress me.

yeah the only thing good about the tickers is it makes single player horde much easier. I've been trying to get the snowblind achievement for doing all 50 waves. couldn't get pass 20 until this event and am now at 27 or 28.

I only got to play a few games last night since the guys I was waiting for didn't show up, and I ended up playing XBLA chess for hours after 2 GoW matches, LOL.

But wow... I thought the game looked good in 1080i on my projection TV, but it looks ridiculously awesome on my LCD in 1080i. That, and even though I sucked, I remembered why I used to love this game.

I'll be on late tonight if anyone wants to play Execution/Warzone, Wingman, or Horde.

anyone know if the All fronts Collection is still going to be released in the retail package? I noticed that it got pulled a few weeks after it was up for pre-order.

I got to level 17 while playing Horde. I wish they gave you more XP for playing in Horde mode. I think 150 XP for a double XP weekend on Public Horde isn't enough. Now if it was setup as 175/300/425/600 depending on your difficulty, then it'd be cool.

[quote name='KingBroly']I got to level 17 while playing Horde. I wish they gave you more XP for playing in Horde mode. I think 150 XP for a double XP weekend on Public Horde isn't enough. Now if it was setup as 175/300/425/600 depending on your difficulty, then it'd be cool.[/QUOTE]

I dont even think the double XP includes horde, just other MP types.

Was finally able to get some play time tonight (Thanks a lot work for scheduling me all weekend...) and man was I happy to see that experience bar grow while playing Horde. Really digging the tickers thing to. Hopefully I'll be able to finally get the wave 50 achievement now that the blasted Hellriders are out this weekend.

What the fuck? I just played 1 game and somehow managed to get demoted... during double XP weekend... and I was on the winning team. How is that possible?

[quote name='Matt Young']What the fuck? I just played 1 game and somehow managed to get demoted... during double XP weekend... and I was on the winning team. How is that possible?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've had some trouble with the demoting, I've gotten to 19 twice and dropped down to 18 twice. No apparent reason.

There was something that popped up on the screen about the game not being completed or some such bullshit, even though I was still in it along with all 9 of the other players. I ended up switching to Annex, anyway, and realized more points could be had there.

Still, I was only able to play 2 matches on Friday and 3 on Saturday.

Hmmm i just seen someone go under the subway map. Is this new?

Wow this is fucking annoying. This guy named Mackenziesmom is just sitting inside a train, one that you arent supposed to be able to get into. While the other guys are trying to throw ink grenades at him, and shoot him through a paper thin crack. I dont know what the hell the purpose of this is, but winning cant be this important to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one of the two popular glitches on Subway. If you think that one is bad you'll love the off the map glitch since you can only do it with two people. Both of them however are fairly simple to execute thus increasing the annoyance factor ten fold.

Last night on the courtyard map two of my teammates were obsessed with shooting the statues the entire time. Is there a known reason for this some easter egg?? Needless to say we got our asses kicked.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Would this glitch help me get past wave 10 in horde by myself? LOL[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. It's not a L4D Jesus type of glitch where the game will gradually progress without you whether or not you actually complete your objectives. Just a regular pain in the ass so even if you did do it I'd suspect you'd only waste your time while enemies continuously spawn searching for you.

Besides a wave 1 - 10 run by yourself is easy if you know where to camp because you're host. On that map your best bet is falling back to the train you can hop into for the last three waves. Bloodmounts can't get in so the only issues are Boomers and Grinders but Host Hammerburst can turn them into swiss cheese. Just wall bounce in and out of cover to avoid taking shots when necessary and you'll get it. Pick up ammo from dead mounts or Grenaders that hop in and do work.

[quote name='depascal22']Is it me or did Horde get harder now that there aren't five million tickers running around?[/QUOTE]

So that was a one time thing? Damn that made it so much easier to complete wave 10 solo. Its going to be a pain in the ass again now.

[quote name='freshzen']So that was a one time thing? Damn that made it so much easier to complete wave 10 solo. Its going to be a pain in the ass again now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was a lot easier, and it was only for 4th of july weekend. The tickers were epics way of adding "fireworks" into the game.

lol I just went through today and did wave 10 on Mansion and got it on my 4th-5th try. Secret was to whore out power weapons and keep running away. You can outrun everything you would need to run from, and the bloodmounts are really easy to kill with the torque bow.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Ugh. Not only is the wait time for a Wingman match managed to extend itself from a few seconds to a few f*cking minutes after the update for me, but the 30 second spawn delay for power weapons caters to host teams. Whoever thought that was a good idea was probably related to whomever wrote the netcode for this damn game.

If it ain't broke the why the f*ck are you always trying to 'fix' it knowing your tendency to fail utterly Epic? It's so frustrating. I honestly try to roll with the punches when it comes to this game, but I've almost reached my limit. ;\[/QUOTE]

huh? wingman WAS BROKE, son.

When you have a team that spawns at the boomshot, torque or mortar and another team that spawns next to an ink or gorgon, it isn't exactly balanced.

Man what the hell is going on. Multiple times today i would shoot a guy with a shotty point blank and he doesnt die. I even shot a guy point blank after he was taking cover from a smoke nade, and he didnt even die.

[quote name='gsr']huh? wingman WAS BROKE, son.

When you have a team that spawns at the boomshot, torque or mortar and another team that spawns next to an ink or gorgon, it isn't exactly balanced.[/QUOTE]

And when EPIC allows shotgun accuracy to remain based on the host's connection the point becomes moot. The spawn delay doesn't change the fact it still gives host teams a clear advantage. In my opinion they traded in one evil for another.

IMO, worse than every other complaint about GoW2 in this thread, nothing ruins/negatively affects the enjoyment of the game more than the shotgun.

Specifically - how it works, how powerful it is, how dependent everyone is on it, how most games end up shotgun dances, and especially the unfair advantage magnified by latency because of all of the above.

I long for a shotgun-less weekend that will never happen.

The only way I can enjoy this game is to use the hammerburst from medium range as much as possible, down lots of people and let others finish them. Of course I die more than I kill and my stats are atrocious, usually, but that's the only way I can feel like I'm having fun. As soon as I pull the shotty, or deal in any close combat, the game isn't fun.

I'd prefer a random number generator pop up and decide the victor than deal with close combat in gears.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Man what the hell is going on. Multiple times today i would shoot a guy with a shotty point blank and he doesnt die. I even shot a guy point blank after he was taking cover from a smoke nade, and he didnt even die.[/QUOTE]

I had the same thing happen a couple of times last night while playing Execution. The worst one was on Security when I came up behind a guy who was busy flaming another member of my team, and shotgunned him in the back 3 times at point blank range to no effect. He then turned around and killed me. I think it also happened in another game, this time to my advantage. I was surrounded by 3 fairly high-level guys with shotguns and had my Lancer out; they couldn't bring me down, and I ended up chainsawing all three of them.

I think it's time to go back to playing Horde mode exclusively, especially now that I can level up in Horde.

Edit: How do you know when you're host in the PvP modes?

the easiest method I use is to melee (chainsaw works too) after a round. if you don't see any arm movement or revving, then you're the lucky one. also in the game lobby, if you see a 6 appear (or other number depending on the amount of players) to off set the balanced votes, you're host. also the countdown timer will flash an extra 0 when it reaches it (I don't recall seeing this one myself though).

also when the game starts up, some people fire their weapon at the ground or wall to see the time delay, but that may just indicate a good connection to the host.

I kinda wish they'd map Melee to a button besides B (at least with the Lancer) because sometimes you can melee with the lancer, which makes it kind of problematic if you want to melee a ticker and not chainsaw it.

[quote name='KingBroly']I kinda wish they'd map Melee to a button besides B (at least with the Lancer) because sometimes you can melee with the lancer, which makes it kind of problematic if you want to melee a ticker and not chainsaw it.[/QUOTE]

Be a man and switch to the hammberburst ;)

[quote name='elmyra']Edit: How do you know when you're host in the PvP modes?[/QUOTE]

1) Host can only see the sixth vote during map selection in the lobby. If you see the last vote on the same map then you're Host.

2) During the character and weapon select countdown the numbers flash. If when reaching zero your zeroes flash twice then you're Host.

3) If your bullets fly super straight you're either Host or on the Host team.

4) If you survive planted or thrown frags intact and still need one more shot to get downed then you're most definitely Host.

5) If it takes you less than a second to charge Torque and the arrow flies lightning fast then you're Host.

6) Down someone in less than three shots with Hammer = Definite Host.

7) No stagger when meleed = Usually Host

8) If you throw a smoke and it spins instead of flying straight = Host

9) If you can't melee or reload after the round is over then you're Host.

Tons of different ways to tell if you're Host.

[quote name='thrustbucket']IMO, worse than every other complaint about GoW2 in this thread, nothing ruins/negatively affects the enjoyment of the game more than the shotgun.

Specifically - how it works, how powerful it is, how dependent everyone is on it, how most games end up shotgun dances, and especially the unfair advantage magnified by latency because of all of the above.

I long for a shotgun-less weekend that will never happen.

The only way I can enjoy this game is to use the hammerburst from medium range as much as possible, down lots of people and let others finish them. Of course I die more than I kill and my stats are atrocious, usually, but that's the only way I can feel like I'm having fun. As soon as I pull the shotty, or deal in any close combat, the game isn't fun.

I'd prefer a random number generator pop up and decide the victor than deal with close combat in gears.[/QUOTE]

maybe we should take out all weapons and just have tickle fights

[quote name='Kevlar281']So do yall think there will ever be adjustments to exp to make reaching a 100 possible?[/QUOTE]

How is it not possible? I thought it was just very time consuming but entirely possible.

[quote name='freshzen']How is it not possible? I thought it was just very time consuming but entirely possible.[/QUOTE]

It takes 7.7 million experience to get to level 100. It will take YEARS to get there legitimately.

[quote name='freshzen']How is it not possible? I thought it was just very time consuming but entirely possible.[/QUOTE]

If they have double-XP weekends EVERY weekend then it might be possible. The one great thing about level 100 being nearly unattainable is that you get to kill the crappy 12-year old who cheated his way to "level 100" and laugh, which makes me feel really good.

I should have said possible for me. With law school starting soon I just kind of came to the realization that without a major adjustment to exp I will probably never reach level 100.

[quote name='decrot']maybe we should take out all weapons and just have tickle fights[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but if its anything like the close combat in gears it won't be fun either.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']1) Host can only see the sixth vote during map selection in the lobby. If you see the last vote on the same map then you're Host.

2) During the character and weapon select countdown the numbers flash. If when reaching zero your zeroes flash twice then you're Host.

3) If your bullets fly super straight you're either Host or on the Host team.

4) If you survive planted or thrown frags intact and still need one more shot to get downed then you're most definitely Host.

5) If it takes you less than a second to charge Torque and the arrow flies lightning fast then you're Host.

6) Down someone in less than three shots with Hammer = Definite Host.

7) No stagger when meleed = Usually Host

8) If you throw a smoke and it spins instead of flying straight = Host

9) If you can't melee or reload after the round is over then you're Host.

Tons of different ways to tell if you're Host.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to you and to Gamer SDP for answering my newbie question. You've also explained some of the weird stuff I've seen people able to do in PvP, and Gamer's comment finally cleared up why everyone starts shooting at the ground/walls at the beginning of a match.

I used to really hate the MP on both Gears. I've gotten into it a little lately since they changed the experience system. I have also figured out some of the tricks to using the shotgun. Yes, there are people who will always have a "priority" over you, I would guess being host or on the host team, but I've found that running up to someone and meleeing them and immediately firing a shotgun blast into them without aiming will kill them easily. I've gotten a lot better at it and am getting more kills that way.

[quote name='mike.m'] but I've found that running up to someone and meleeing them and immediately firing a shotgun blast into them without aiming will kill them easily. I've gotten a lot better at it and am getting more kills that way.[/QUOTE]

That's called two-piecing. It's just one notch below chainsawing on the cheese scale, but only because it requires two button presses. Everyone does it though, when they get sick of chainsawing.

Rod Fergusson:
We get forum feedback about the shotgun and they're like 'We want it to fire as fast as it used to fire in Gears 1.' I just recently put a post on the forums and was like 'Guys, we have data that shows the shotgun is the number one killing weapon, the number one downing weapon, and yet you want it to fire faster?' I understand the ease of having a one weapon game, but come on, we want a little balance, we want some variety. We get forum feedback about the shotgun and they're like 'We want it to fire as fast as it used to fire in Gears 1.' I just recently put a post on the forums and was like 'Guys, we have data that shows the shotgun is the number one killing weapon, the number one downing weapon, and yet you want it to fire faster?' I understand the ease of having a one weapon game, but come on, we want a little balance, we want some variety.

... and it's been sort of an ongoing struggle for us with the shotgun in that we're trying to create a tactical, cover-based shooter game but people like running around with the shotgun and gibbing people.

One weapon game indeed.

Id like to see them make shotguns less effective when shooting at a distance. The shotgun seems to have a pretty long range. Also make the melee less effective.

But one of the problems that makes this a one weapon game, is that there isnt many weapons to pick up in a level. There is usually 1 weapon per side for 1 of the 5 members to pick up, and one weapon in the middle of the map. (not counting pistols because i hardly see anyone use those) So that means even if all the weapons were picked up, 3 would have special weapons, while the other 7 players have lancer/hammer and shotty to use. Look at a game like Halo 3, they always have special weapons laying around, and a pretty big quantity too. One of those special weapons being a shotgun. I wonder how much of a shotgun fest halo 3 would be if all players started out with that gun for a 2nd weapon. Id figure a lot of people would use it.

I've figured out why I don't enjoy Gears as much as some people. Most people I see playing it has a party going or a private chat. I wouldn't mind playing with some cags. Just add me if your interested. ;) I still think cag should have a night for Gears 2.

a few days ago I was able to get a decent connection for gears and got in several games. I haven't been able to get into so many games consistently since before TU3 and early spring (I believe my connection in gears suffers during summer).

used hammerburst and got lots of downs and kills stolen of course. but I started takin downs if i see them no see whatever. one annex match, 3 guys on the other team (1 other was on their friend's list) chainsawed over and over. they were top scores (and won) and most of their kills were via saw. thing is, checked their profiles: uk, germany, mexico, france, and one US (not a friend of the others).

I've seen clan tag people on Gears 2 do nothing but chainsaw and the connection was decent. I don't see why people would even waste their time...that must get so boring just chainsawing the entire time. You can't really even get away with it since the big update, unless the connection is bad.

Just dropping my GT here, since I could use more readily-available Gears 2 players on my friend list..

GT: Rhett819

I don't really play online multiplayer besides Horde, but I'd really like to finish a campaign on insane. Much less actually get a decent coop campaign finished (I lack all of the coop achievements too)

Completed the game on normal, working on it (slowly) on hardcore and insane solo, and I've hit level 50 once (only time I've gotten 4 other competent people at the same time)

If you see me playing anything, it's likely just against bots, so if anyone invites me I'll take in short order.

bread's done
Back